Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Acura TL Type S

Comments

• njvikenjvike Member Posts: 56
    Excellent! What brand and size wheel? Also, how about the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)? Does it still work? Where did you get the sensors from?

Thanks in advance.

I really like the Moroccan Red.

Ken
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    My Acura dealer wanted $2,200 for that same Wheel/Tire package and offered to put the original Type-S Wheels in the trunk.
    This is an Acura offered option, and these wheels come with TPMS sensors installed.
    I figured maybe they could be used for snow tires ;)

That pic is the exact model I wanted, but the total cost of $42,999 was way out of control and I got tired of them coming down $200- every time I went back.

Love the Moroccan Red though. :D
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    I have to say this is the only Type S that I like so far- maybe its the wheels.I am a previous generation owner of a pearl white and all the new ones I have seen so far looks mediocre.I cant wait to see what Acura has to offer on the next generation TL.
  • expattlsexpattls Member Posts: 4
    Everyone, thanks for the nice comments. :blush:

I really liked the way the red and chrome stood out. I noticed that the majority of Type-S on the road are black or gray. The Moroccan Red just pops out in the sunlight.

As another member responded, that is the factory/dealer setup. On this I have Yokohama rubber and the factory upgrade 18" wheel. Everything works, and it works VERY well. Great ride.

I got lucky on the price as the car had been on the dealer floor for a while. I upgraded the rear spoiler to a wing type (will be out of the shop in a day to two), but my total was just a hair under $41k. I'll post some new pics with the new rear look.
  • tnutstnuts Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a new 2007 ACURA TL S SERIES and I'm really HAPPY about the purchase. I looked at cars for about a month or so and this was the last car that I drove and I'm glad I waited to the end. I traded in a 2002 Lincoln LS V8 with only 38k miles on it and really moved up with comfort features on this car. Does anybody have any words of wisdom or things that I should LOOK out for with this NEW purchase??
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    watch out for speeding tickets ;)
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Go Infiniti G hunting! Congrats!
  • tl_2007stl_2007s Member Posts: 34
    I just got my TL Type S last week. Body color is Carbon Bronze Pearl. I really like that Moroccan Red, but I had a red Honda Prelude SI for 13 years, so it was time for a new car with a different color. It drives so nicely. It took me about a month to decide.
  • tnutstnuts Member Posts: 4
    My color is White Diamond Pearl with the same interior as yours. I'm getting my windows tinted this Friday due to the ARIZONA sun and the temps getting well over 100 degrees for days. I'm still learning all the features of this car and get lots of looks and questions about the TYPE S from current TL owners. They LOVE the interior of the TYPE S compared to theirs and wished they would have found this version instead of the one they have.
    Yes, interior colors were a big factor for me while deciding. I like those two tones. Exterior color was harder to decide. CBP looks different under the sun and in the garage. I am really enjoying the car; taking the longer route home after work...And yes, parking as far away as possible from other cars...need the exercise anyways.
    Is there Type S Gold Emblem kit for 2007 models?
  • beachguybeachguy Member Posts: 10
    I have been shopping for a fun sports sedan and with all the positive comments I plan to test drive the TL Type S. Are the 08's going to be a redesign. I would not want to purchase an 07 and in a few months the 08 will be in.
    The big redesign should be for the 09.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    There are currently no Gold Emblems available for the 07 Model.

Not listed on Acura's online store, and not available at HondaAcuraWorld.com either.
  • sicktls4mesicktls4me Member Posts: 30
    I've had my Kinetic Blue Type-S for a little over a month now, and, I can not find anything that's really bothersome. The car simply was designed very well. This IS definitely a home run from Honda. My only words of wisdom to you is that I hope your dealership provides excellent customer service when you get your car serviced. Mine DO!! For the $$ you paid for, you SHOULD get excellent customer service, right?

As far as other comments, it is a joy to drive. Everything about it, int & ext, is premier quality. The BEST part in owning this fine machine is that the looks I get from other luxury car owners, such as the Audis, Beamers, Benzs and even previous model TL and TL-S. Happy driving!!
    Funny!!! I also looked at those 2 cars, the G35 and IS350. Obviously I went w/ the Type-S for the same reason - more rear seat room. But, this is NOT the only reason why I bought the Type-S.
    njvike...

the BEST thing to do is set your climate to AUTO and adjust the temp to your liking. What "auto" does is it mixes hot and cold air to produce the temp you set it on. The BEST thing about doing this is it does NOT use the A/C, thus, minimizing the use of fuel and strain on the engine. Try it! I have mine set on AUTO. And, I get 23mpg city/hwy driving.

As for the wheels, just like the previous comments, IT will grow on you/owner. That was my only negative comment when I test drove the Type-S. Bought it anyway and, honestly, I do NOT plan on replacing the wheels. Bitchin' car, ain't it??
    You sure about the AUTO setting? I've always thought by pressing AUTO, the a/c comes on all the time, until you manually switch it off.
  • khash1khash1 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 07 Type-S, which has quickly become one of my fave cars ever. But I hear a rattle coming from the driver side from the OUTSIDE/underneath? when I hit road rut (vibrating type) at city speeds. Sounds like a metal on metal rattle. Anyone has any ideas?
    tnuts,

just in case you did not know, Type-S came back in 07. There were NO Type-S since 04 when it was redesigned to the current body style. I read the manual front and back. I'm still learning the voice commands from the Nav manual.

I wished this car was tinted a little darker!!
    One month to decide??? It took me all day Sunday and bought it on Monday!! just kidding!!!! I've had my eye on this model since the redesign in '04. I decided on the Kinetic Blue, as my 2 previous cars were red. I'm w/u, time for a new color.

PS...funny, I had my Accord EX for 13 yrs too!!! mmmmmm....
    Well...I've had it on in AUTO since I bought it in mid-Apr, and the A/C is NOT ON. We have this set in our Odyssey also! Check the manual when you get a chance.
    Hmm...I'll have to do that, if I can find that darn thing!
    tell you what, I'll look it up in the manual. I'm a manual guy! I'm pretty sure that's how our Odyssey manual explained it. Can't imagine being different in their Acura cars. Stay tuned brah!!
  • mlarrysmlarrys Member Posts: 1
    All Honda/Acura cars with climate control turn the AC on when the auto button is pushed. The AC button lights up only when you are using the AC manualy. I,ve had 4 Honda/Acura cars with this feature.
  • pv2pv2 Member Posts: 37
    Climate control can be confusing. My wife had a problem with our 07TL-S because she took it out of the auto mode accidentally and didn't know why she wasn't getting a/c. Best bet is to just set the temp and leave it in auto mode. :shades:
    Now that you put it that way, it IS confusing!!! The Type-S manual NEVER said anything about turning the A/C ON. If it is ON, then, it is ON. And, guess what, I'm getting great mileage with the A/C ON, at 23/24 mpg city/hwy driving.

I DO leave it on AUTO. Been there since the day I bought the car.

thanks for the insight!!!
  • cloudno9cloudno9 Member Posts: 7
    I just picked up my S type this Monday and drove about 100 miles in city traffic ...the odometer tells me that i get a mielage of 15 MPG ???.....is this normal for a new car ???...i was expecting atleast 19 MPG ??...Any comments bout your own exp would be helpful ...THanks ..Sam
    15 mpg for pure city driving is not unusual for the TL. It is a real gas hog in the city, especially if you do a lot of stop and go driving. :cry:
    honestly, I never monitored the mpg until it reached 1K miles or so. I suspect that it will NOT get the expected mpg when it is new, for the fact that it is new and going thru it's break-in period. 15-19 mpg in the city alone is probably accurate. My city/hwy combo get's 23-24 mpg, with climate control set to AUTO. Can't wait to find out the mpg for ALL HWY cruising!! Some had claimed getting 34-36 mpg for hwy driving.

Nevertheless, are you enjoying the car! ;)
  • njvikenjvike Member Posts: 56
    I'm getting 20 MPH in the city and 30 on the highway. Car has 3K on it.
    what you're getting is what was mentioned/written on the sticker. Consumer Reports claimed to have gotten 23-24 mpg as an avg. But, never said if it was for city only OR city/hwy.
  • cardriver2cardriver2 Member Posts: 1
    I hear the same sound; it drives me crazy. I think rattle is coming from the seat belt assembly. I'm taking it to the dealership to get them to check it out.
  • types_koztypes_koz Member Posts: 2
    While I am thoroughly enjoying my latest purchase (White '07 TL Type S), I am never satisfied with horsepower. Anybody know of air intakes for these sweet rides? Dealership already warned me that though adding an air intake does not void the warranty, if one is found to be the cause of any engine problems, warranty will not cover repairs. Any advice on intakes or other aftermarket accessories to boost HP???
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Alot of folks use the AEI CAI.

Other suggestions for adding hp:
    E Shift Pro Cats
    Exhaust
    UR Underdrive Crank Pulley
    Thermoblock Spacers

Hope this helps ;)
  • khash1khash1 Member Posts: 2
    My seatbelt assembly seems to be doing fine. No noise there. I have identified a buzzing from the center front speaker. The material surrounding it expands in hot weather, which effectively loosens the metal cover, causing the buzz. My friend's Lexus does the same thing.

The rattle I'm hearing seems to be coming from outside and UNDERNEATH because I don't hear it if the windows are up. I thought it might be coming from the engine compartment. I tightened a couple of screws (engine cover and strips around it) in there, but I don't think it worked--haven't quite tested it yet. I cannot wait to have it put up on a rack so I can personally inspect it.

Let me know what you find out when you visit the dealer, and I'll do the same! Thank you!
  • cloudno9cloudno9 Member Posts: 7
    Havin a blast with the car....Have 500 miles on it n just had it for a week....Not that the mielage bother me..but was just checkin with other ppl on wat was expected....I lovee the car n often find myself takin longer routes justt to enjoy some more time with my Baby....n the looks u get from the neighbours...just puts the icin on the cake !! :D
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    My 2004 TL 6-speed w/ 25k miles gets anywhere from 15 to 17 mpg mpg in city driving. I have never gotten close to the EPA rating of 20, even for what I consider to be "city-lite" driving. I do manage to get 28-30 on pure highway runs at 70 mph in 6th gear. Unfortunately, the way the math works, with 50/50 mixed driving (measured in miles, not gallons, I average, at best, about 20 mpg.

By comparison, my 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed was rated at 22/27, and consistently got 22/27+, for an average of 24.02 over 155,000 miles. All on a total of 3 sets of tires (so far). I'm on my second set with the TL.

Also, by comparison, my former Honda S2000 was also rated at 20 mpg in the city and I NEVER had a tank that was less than 19. With a highway rating of 26, I consistently got 29-33 mpg. The 18,500 mile average at the time I traded that car was 23.8 mpg, considerably better than the higher EPA rated TL.

The TL, relatively speaking, is a gas hog, at least around town.
    The TL, relatively speaking, is a gas hog, at least around town.

...from what I've read in previous posts, this is what (just about) everyone is saying.

Fortunately for me, my weekly drive is 80% at 45-60 mph. 20% comes from my weekly, stuck-in-traffic and weekend driving. So, my avg. mpg is at 23.5 - 24.5 mpg.
    30 mpg on the hwy?? at what speed? what was the rpm at that speed? just curious!!
  • spyderredspyderred Member Posts: 138
    I went to Las Vegas from LA, 265 miles trip, averaged 79 mph, cruised at 85-100 most of the time, and my average was 27.8 mpg. On the return the first hour I set the cruise @ 65mph and I averaged 29 mpg. This is when the car had 1200 miles on it. I think you will notice better mileage after the first couple of thousand miles on the odometer. In town stop and go, I get 20-21 mpg.

Not great but similar to my previous BMW 525 and this car has 100 more HP.

I am happy with it so far as far as mileage.

Spyder.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Any proud Kinetic blue TL-S owners have a real world photo they care to post? Thanks.
  • terrylterryl Member Posts: 34
    Up here in Canada, the only way you could get a 335i for the same price as a TL-S is if they didn't throw in the wheels, radio, and probably not the keys.

Terry
    A base 335i, which isn't exactly a stripper, is not that much more than a TL-S. It's more expensive of course, but not that much more. And IMO, the TL-S is not the mechanical, nor performance equal of the 335i.
  • terrylterryl Member Posts: 34
    There is probably a geographical difference. Similarly equipped (i.e., real leather, Bluetooth, 6 CD there is about slightly more than a 10k (Canadian...which is not too far from the US dollar these days) difference. Not to mention we don't get brake replacement and the lease/buy interest rates are higher with the bimmer. I agree that the TL-S is not equal to the BMW but neither by a stretch is the price.
    Well, you're right. If we were to compare similarly equipped cars, then the Bimmer would be $10K, or more pricier than the TL.

Acura currently also has some pretty wicked deals on the TL, including low lease/finance rates and free Navigation.
  • vivsethrrvivsethrr Member Posts: 8
    Hey Acura fans, i just bought a black automatic 07 Type S. What kind of wax should i use on the car? Any suggestions? Also does anyone have a viper system on their TL Do you like it? Hit me back up everyone i need to know info before i drive it for the first time tomorrow night.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,722
    Congrats on the TL! For wax/polish, visit zainostore.com. Good, but not cheap, stuff. I've become a bit addicted to Zaino products...!

No experience w/Viper system.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Viper ---- that's a security system, made by DEI, isn't it?
This discussion has been closed.