Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying a Used 3-Series

Comments

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    When I do an autotrader & carmax search i find nothing that is close to 33k.

Seems like a fabulous price...but if there's still wriggle room then more money in your pocket.

If you're going to keep the vehicle for a long period of time I can see some 'potential' benefits...A co-worker of mine keeps his cars for 10 years, but never buys extended warranties (a Ford to 250k+ miles)...Now in a G37 coupe.

I had a Q45 a couple years ago which i purchased used. The previous owner had all documentation. The previous 18 months or so he spent over $7k for repairs. I had another $400ish...for one year before it passed away (murdered by a tree)...

If you keep it for 10 years it would be a shame to get to year 8 and have to replace anything major; but the 3 series seems to have a pretty good reliability record.

I suppose with an extended warranty you're guaranteed to have costs (the initial anyway) whereas if you 'chance' it you may or may not spend more than your initial outlay.
  • sjl2010sjl2010 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of purchasing a used 2006 BMW 330xi and I'm hesitant. I've never owned a BMW before and I understand the cost of repairs can be high. I was wondering if anyone knows of any common problems with this particular model and if there's anything I should be aware of prior to purchasing this vehicle. The miles are a little bit high, so that's a concern for me as well.

Thanks!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    How many miles are on the car? What is the asking price? Are you buying from a dealer or private owner? Is the car stick or automatic?

High miles on an E90 330xi wouldn't bother me as long as the vehicle has documented records of it's service history. Have a pre purchase inspection done by a BMW dealer or independent mechanic who specializes in BMWs.

If everything checks out ok, then join BMWCCA to receive a fantastic magazine and get discounts on parts.

If it doesn't check out, don'tbe afraid to walk away. There are plenty of '06 330xis out there.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• bmw_gssbmw_gss Member Posts: 19
    Did you say the 33K was good for OTD? Coz I could not get it any lower, so its 33K for a 2010 (328xi 6k miles - premium, value, heated seats, heated steering wheel)....comes out 36 OTD price. Still think its a good deal?

It has about 3 years 3 months on the warranty left, so I think I will not for the extended warranty just yet.

Also, if I decide to get extended warranty what is recommended - there seem to be so many packages? Also are these packages dealer driven or BMW driven?
  • marcmax1marcmax1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering purchasing a CPO 2007 328xi (about 30K miles) with premium package (heated front seats, bluetooth, BMW Assist) and wonder what a fair price is.

How much room do dealers have with this type of car? There seems to be a lot of them listed in the inventory I've found on line. . .

How much does location factor into this? I'm between NYC and Philly.

Thanks!
    hmmm...

When I plug those options into Edmunds TMV I get
    MSRP: 39,365
    Invoice: 36,255
    TMV: 35,388

Plus it shows a $2k Manufacturer to Dealer rebate...which I believe is included in the TMV of $35,3K.

This was for a manual...add $1,300 to all figures for auto.

So if all others "could" get the same vehicle for 35.3k then you're getting a 'deal' of $2,300...for 6k miles (may be a hard 6k...or not)

Or...you could look at it like MSRP 39,365 - 33,000 = $6,365 saving...some people do pay sticker.

It's a small saving...approx 6.4% off of the TMV price, but the TMV is already below invoice.
  • bballww21bballww21 Member Posts: 8
    Hey guys,

I am currently shopping for a CPO 335i and this is what I found.

Asking price = $32900
    After 1st round nego. = $31800
    2008 335i Coupe
    Mileage: 24,188
    options:
    Premium Package
    Sport Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Navigation System
    Comfort Access Keyless Entry System
    iPod/USB Adapter

The only thing that I am not sure with this car is that its carfax shows 3 owners. It was originally a dealers demo car and then it was leased out. The lease was then transfer to another guy. Should I be concerned with this?

What's the fair price for this car?
    Thanks
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    stick or auto?
    location?

assuming an auto trans and northeast location, that's a pretty good price for CPO. ~$4k over wholesale.

I wouldn't be concerned about the number of owners, personally.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• bballww21bballww21 Member Posts: 8
    automatic trans.
    I live in NY.
  • wilkich84wilkich84 Member Posts: 34
    edited August 2010
    I'm close to pulling the trigger on an 07 328i wagon. The only option is Xenon. I plan to get a portable GPS with bluetooth. Is there some installed option that folks believe that I will regret never getting? I personally can't think of one but someone may have an idea.

As for the car, an independent mechanic has checked it out and it has a some very minor issues which can be worked out all under warranty. My only concern at this point relates to the tan interior. We have an SUV which is generally the kid (ages 5 and 7) and dog (25lb) car. I'm turning in off lease an accord with the tan interior and the kids have trashed the cloth seats. As for the 3, I'm hoping that- with the leather seats, floor mats and relative advanced age of the kids (they understand the fear of god now)- the interior will hold up. Anyone want to talk me out of the tan?
    Is there some installed option that folks believe that I will regret never getting?

Depends where you live...I won't buy another car without cooled seats (mid TX)...tired of a sweaty back.
  • dan3434dan3434 Member Posts: 9
    I bought my first tan interior vehicle 4 months ago...a 2007 BMW 335i. I too was worried...I have a 5-year old son. I have had no issues with the leather. I put down beige rubber mats instead of the carpet that came with the car and it's worked out fine. After 4 months, the interior still looks immaculate.
    Thanks Ivan. In Northern California so not a worry. And Dan, thanks for the report. Good to know.
    Hi all,

I finally got my dream car - 2010 328Xi. Its a loaner with 6K miles and 3.5 yrs on warranty - black on black with premium package, value package, heated seats, heated steering. Got it out the door for 36K, pretty much the best deal I could get after shopping at 4 dealers for similar cars.

I noticed that the remote key does not come with the usual 'chirp/beep' sound when I lock or unlock the car. I find it odd that such a thing is not on a BMW!! Is there some setting I should turn on/off or is that something the dealer needs to program - how much does that cost?

Before I forget, greatly appreciate all the advise and help from folks on this wonderful forum, that helped get my car!! Thank you all!
    first of all, Congratulations on your 3 series! You're going to love it for years and years to come.

The 328i remote just locks and unlocks the doors while flashing the parking lights. It doesn't beep because there is NO ALARM. The 335i comes standard with an alarm.

Don't worry though, you won't need it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Unless they changed things after 2007, the 335 does not come with an alarm. It is wired for an alarm, but does not come with one.

I miss the chirps - used it a lot with prior cars when I could not remember where I parked, so I'm thinking of getting one installed for that.
  • edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    I just bought a bronze '07 328 wagon with beige interior. First, on interior, mine has 45k miles and the leather still looks very good. This leather is pretty tough - unlike the soft, supple stuff I had in my A4. But the carpets are pretty dirty - of course, you can cover them up with mats. I too have put down rubber mats. But I live in SoCal, so the black interior, while showing less dirt, is just too hot.

I assume you have premium package, which has the power seats; for me, this is option is indispensable. BMW manual seats seem very limited in adjustments and don't have any lumbar. I have a buncha other options but not Nav. The best two are Xenon/adaptive headlights and the Logic 7 premium stereo. I don't know if you can add the xenon lights but certainly you should be able to upgrade the stereo. The rest of the options are nice but kinda just bling: keyless, seat warmers, back up beeper, In fact, the back up beeper is annoying.

BTW, great car - a blast to drive and plenty of room for bikes in the back.
    Did you get the alarm installed at the dealer - how much did it cost?
    I am first time bmw owner and still trying to figure out/get familiar with all the options on it. How do I turn on the retractable headlight washer on my 328 Xi?
    What exactly is a run flat tire and I am surprised the car does not come with a spare tire?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    No offense intended, but have you tried looking for the answers in your Owners Manual? If you don't have a manual they can be downloaded from the BMW NA website.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Disclaimer...I don't own a bmw...but I believe the headlight washers are like others.

When your lights are on, and you're spraying your windshield, they'll also come on.

No spare tires with run-flats--i believe the 3 series started using these in about 06.

You can drive on your run-flats...even with a big hole in them; there was a commercial with a guy taking a drill to one showing how they work i.e. they don't deflate...kinda neat. You don't have to sit on the side of the road changing a flat in a rain storm (been there...)

The replacement costs are higher...but you don't have to carry a spare tire around with you all the time...some other CONS as well with comfort, but if you purchased the vehicle it probably didn't bother you.
    After ignition and putting the car into drive, the 328Xi does not seem to auto lock as I accelerate. Thats such a basic feature and even my wife's civic has that. I am amazed that its not in a bimmer? I hope even this is not linked to the anti theft alarm system, which I dont have. I read the manual and could not find anything abt it. Any thoughts other 328 XI owners? Please advise.

I have to hit the small all lock button on the dashboard to lock the doors.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    edited September 2010
    The Auto Lock feature is a programmable feature (your dealer can toggle it on and off). Why isn't it by default on? Because some of us (me included) absolutely hate having our doors lock automatically and when we drive cars that do that it drives us nuts. :P
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    edited September 2010
    read your manual...you can program it yourself. :shades:
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Please advise.

At the risk of belaboring the point, I'll simply note that you need to begin your search here.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Edwardsf, thanks for the response. good to know about the carpets as it's my concern though I think I'll just invest in getting it detailed at least once a year.

As for options, good to hear about the headlights as that was the only option that I think I really wanted. I love the way they look and I would have missed having that option. That said, coming from an 07 Accord, I don't really need it optioned out.

Long story short, it will be dropped off today and I'm looking forward to it.
  • bobc70bobc70 Member Posts: 10
    I'm hoping to get my first BMW 3 series Coupe in a few weeks. I'm looking into 2007-2008 models. I know the 2007 was the first year for the new coupe models, and i've always stayed away from the first year models. Should I do that with this model as well and pay more for the 2008 model?
    ">
    edited September 2010
    I am sure the Halogen lights are fine.

Enjoy your car - it will feel like a huge change in performance. Also, you will note that it will be much, much quieter than the Honda except for the growl. I like driving Hondas but they are noisy and there is just something about the steering and road feel of a 3 Series.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Even though the '07 was the first year for the coupe in the US, the E90 architecture was in use on the '06 model sedans, so for much of the running gear, it was the second model year (not even counting that Europe usually has them before we do)..

I wouldn't worry about an '07 coupe for that reason... That was the first year for the twin-turbo models, however... I'd be skittish of a 335i coupe.. The 328i wouldn't bother me, though...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mjm87mjm87 Member Posts: 9
    So long story short is I received a 2009 Ford Escape XLT with all the bells and whistles as a college graduation gift last July. I am now the owner of the vehicle. It has only 7500 miles on it. As you can see I don't drive many miles.

I wanted to know if it would be best to wait to buy a certified pre-owned 3 series or consider purchasing one now before my car depreciates more as the years go by? Or should I hold onto the Escape until it doesnt drive anymore?

Any thoughts?
    Keep the Escape.

Put the 3 series monthly payment into a separate account for 5 years. After this time you can buy a car without paying interest.

It's much more enjoyable driving a nice car when you're not worried about payments.

Plus if something comes along, as it always does, you'll have a pile of cash...

If you get rid of the Escape now you'll get nothing for it (based on MSRP), and all you'll do is end up with a car payment (plus a nicer car :) ). The Escape was a gift, so if you get rid of it right away you'll risk insulting the 'giver'.
    Is there any websites that would facilitate a trade? There may be boy or girl racers who now have a little soccer player.

You can get a CPO 3 series for $20k. Offer $5 less than they ask for.
    thank you for the info, I will most probably go for the 328, unless I find a really good deal for the 335.
  • nm449nm449 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have any idea with how much room a dealer has to work? Looking at an 07 328xi CPO with premium and cold weather package, AT and xenon. Dealer asking 28K. Edmunds TMV shows around 28,500 for certified and around 19K-20K for trade in depending on options. Seems like a pretty big jump just to be certified. Wondering what anyone else might have paid or any suggestions of where to start.
  • loranzoloranzo Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know if a 33,000 miles 2007 328i with premium package and navi for $25K out of the door is a good price. I am about to pull the trigger but just want to get some feedback before. Thank you all.
    Dealer's asking price?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Looks like dealer retail pricing more or less. If it were certified it would be a fairly okay deal OTD. Certainly worth bargaining a bit more if you like the car but if you had to pay that, well, no grievous error.
    I just bought almost the exact car you are buying last saturday, its 2007 328I coupe with 33K and Prem. package no Navigation, and it's from the dealer so it is Certified for $23,500, so you may have a bit of room to negotiate
    goodluck
  • francis23francis23 Member Posts: 4
    I got an offer $37,000 from a dealer for a 2010 328xi Coupe with 8k miles. It comes with premium pkg, cold weather pkg and comfort access. Is it a good deal? Should I go for it?
    Thank you all.
  • mpnikhilmpnikhil Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2010
    Hi all,

I am considering a 328i 2007 model CPO with 37K miles on it. It still is under the 4yr/50000 warranty until October 2011 and I suppose then the CPO warranty takes over. It a base model car without the premium or sports package. (Location San Francisco bay area)
    The seller is asking 19K for it. I wanted to ask all you pros here whether it is a good deal. I like the warranty and can do without the features the sports and premium packages contain.
    Appreciate your help and advise.

Thanks.
    I just bought the same car except it's coupe, for $24K,it has 33k miles and with Premium package so I thing 19K is a good deal....
    good luck
  • chewy2chewy2 Member Posts: 19
    Your deal sounds very good to me. Questions - is the base model equipped with cruise control? How about lumbar seat support?

Thanks!
    The base model does not have lumbar. It certainly should have cruise. Lumbar and electric adjustment are pretty important if your back is not in great shape. The manual simply does not have very much flexibilty and I could not get comfortable.

But if you have a great back, that is just an enormous amount of German sport sedan for $19k. I recently bought a fully loaded (except Nav) 328 wagon for $23k. That ends up being pretty similar. But my car had much less warranty than the one discussed. The only option I really, really wanted was the xenon. The keyless, backup, heated seats, garage clicker, ipod, and fancy stereo are all not necessary.
    I dont think I am going to go ahead with the deal. He is telling me that the car is registered in Arkansas and I will have to payoff his loan because the lien is held by BMW financial services. Sounds shady to me, or too much hassle to say the least. In any case my bank will not approve my loan for buying an out of state car.
    I am considering a couple others from dealers. One has 19k miles on it and the dealer is asking for 21K $$. But this one is not a CPO. The other one is a CPO and has 42K miles for 21K $$. Both are under factory warranty until mid next year. Any suggestions on which one to go for? Thanks.
  • zayirzayir Member Posts: 6
    You see, thats always the issue in buying cars with lien on them. It looks/is complicated. One of the reasons we had to resort to CPO car instead of private owned is this.

About the new cars that you are considering.. why doesn't the dealer offer CPO on 19K mile one ?. Does it have a bad history ?.
    Both autocheck and carfax look clean. Nothing bad except that they were leased. The dealership is not a BMW authorized one, it is a nissan dealership primarily. I dont think they can certify the vehicle.
    I am wary of going to independent dealers who seem to offer good deals, with reports being clean. I am afraid they might be hiding something, like accidents or damage which was not reported to autocheck/carfax. Do you think it is worth spending a couple thousand $$ more for a CPO from an authorized BMW dealer?
    The two cars I mentioned are from two different dealers. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    carfax and autocheck are not always accurate. I've found many a car that comes up clean that I personally know had numerous fender-benders. I think they'd spot a TOTAL pretty reliably, though---but other mishaps? You can't count on 'em 100%.
    See if they'll let you take it to an authorized BMW dealer for a Pre PurchaseInspection. Maybe you could get the VIN and run it by your BMWs service department.

When you get a sec, can you look up the GALVES value of
    an '09 328i? Black/Black - 6 speed stick - cold weather pkg - sport pkg - Xenon - NAV - 6153 miles. Asking $33,999. I'm thinking Galves is somewhere around $26,500 & they'd let it fly for $$28,5 - $29K?