Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying a Used 3-Series

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Remember, if you go with standard tires, YOU HAVE NO SPARE if a sidewall blows, or other more significant damage that can't be repaired with a can of sealant and an air pump.

No spare? Wow, thanks for the heads-up!
    When was the last time you had a tire blow a sidewall? I've been driving since 1973 and I haven't had it happen once. And of course RFTs are only designed to run @100 miles once deflated. Sounds like you shouldn't stray too far from the city with those either. Then there is the continuing issue of RFT availability outside of major metropolitan areas.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• roopskroopsk Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

I have question for the people out here. I am in market and searching for 2008 BMW 335xi CPO. I got a quote for 2008 BMW 335xi black on black which is having 23,752 miles on it and dealer is not willing to reduce the price. Infact they raised the price by almost 3k when I see the listing on internet but is willing to sell for 32k. This one is equipped with premium and cold packages, Ipod/Usb adapter and navigation. Can someone please let me know whether this a good price to go for 335xi or not?

Many thanks,
    RoopSk
  • sirius9sirius9 Member Posts: 13
    edited April 2011
    I couldn't get out of work on time to meet the guy, so he sold to a dealer. Who knows... Thanks for the helpful info to arctic and roadburner. Guess I have to wait til more 2009s are available.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    coupe or sedan?
    If coupe, yes, its a very good deal for CPO.
    If sedan .... it is just an OK price for CPO. Not good, but not terribly bad.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• arctic56arctic56 Member Posts: 17
    Remember, BMW had some issues with the 2008 335 fuel pumps. Be sure to check service records. I saw two 335's on a dealer lot that they bought at auction that had previously been taken back by BMW under the lemon law. This doesn't mean that all are lemons', it just means that you need to do your homework on the car you are looking for.
    I thought they couldn't CPO vehicles that were bought back under the lemon law, though ... ?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• wendy31wendy31 Member Posts: 1
    I have never leased before and cannot tell if I am getting a good offer. Can anyone help? The vehicle is a 2011 BMW 328i. MSRP is $39,100. It has premium and value package, no navigation. I do NOT know the money factor or residual value, etc but they are offering me this vehicle (which does have the space gray metallic color) for a monthly total of $435 (which includes all taxes). Lease term is 27 months. 10k miles a year. Drive off fee is $1,084, which includes the first payment of $435 and covers tax, title and registration. I am inclined to think this is a FAIR offer but can anyone who is more of an expert please provide their opinion??
    Thank you!!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    This discussion is about buying used 3-series BMWs. You'll have better luck in our BMW 3-Series Lease Questions discussion.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• roopskroopsk Member Posts: 3
    Its sedan.
  • psyevolutionpsyevolution Member Posts: 26
    edited April 2011
    OTD:30500
    GOOD CONDITION.
    LAST OWNER ONLY DROVE HOME AND SUPERMARKET..
    3 YEAR WARRANTY . UNTIL 3/14
    THANKS FOR THE UPDATE!

:sick:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• psyevolutionpsyevolution Member Posts: 26
    a good deal ? or not...
  • bmw325xi3bmw325xi3 Member Posts: 2
    I live in the northern suburbs of Chicago. I just looked at a silver 2004 325 xi at a Honda dealer. The car has 89K miles, has been on their lot for almost two months, and does not appear to have had the normal detailing work done on it.

They have put two new Bridgestone tires on the back, but there is a Continental tire on the left front and a Goodyear on the right front. They have agreed to put matching Bridgestone's on the front.

The car is also a smoker's car, with a noticeable although not overpowering cigarette smell. They have offered to try to get the smell out in connection with detailing the car.

The car was originally listed for $11,999. They have lowered the price to $10,999. They reduced the price an additional $250 today without my making an offer.

I plan on having the car checked out by my mechanic prior to any purchase, as I am not mechanically inclined. Any thoughts on the pricing and/or negotiating strategies?

Thanks!
    Does your mechanic really know BMWs? If not, find a real BMW tech. In any case, the mismatched tires tell me that the previous owner couldn't afford to -or didn't care to- properly maintain the car. E46 3ers aren't exactly rare, and I'm sure that there are better ones out there.

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I second roadburner's suggestion; give this car a pass and keep looking.
  • quraeshiquraeshi Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me what the galves # is for a BMW 535i 2008
    Anywhere from $500 to $30k.

• yelnats25yelnats25 Member Posts: 4
    with the current intrest rates. Why don't you just step un and get a new 3 series. i got 0.9% financing. New 3 is much nice in general and much prettier.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    edited April 2011
    I don't think 0.9% financing makes up for the $30,000+ difference in price between a new 328i and a 10 year-old 330i.

And to answer the original question, I'd personally choose the E46 over the E36.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    hey fedlawman! Where have you been? Everything OK?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    edited April 2011
    Hey NYC, nice to hear from you. Thanks for asking!

I've been lurking...not much to contribute to the forums I guess. These threads all seem to be going in circles lately, just new people jumping in and asking the same old questions.

Everything's great though. My M is still going strong.

BMW really needs to introduce the FWD 1-Series so we can get some lively discussions going again!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you go looking for a used car and find that prices were so high that it made more sense to buy a new car instead? Or found that your trade-in was worth a lot more than you expected?

If so, a reporter wants to interview you. Please email pr@edmunds.com no later than 3pm Eastern on Thursday, May 5, 2011 and include your daytime contact information.
    edited May 2011
    Looking at a 2009 328xi automatic black/black sedan with 36k miles for ~$25k (not including tax). Clean carfax, 1 owner, had maintenance at 20k miles and 35k miles. Hesitant cuz of the mileage - thoughts? Anything I should look for specifically when I check it out? TIA.

p.s. - Carfax shows floor mats were installed twice at the beginning of the life of the car for some reason. Non-CPO cuz it's at a VW dealer (was previously leased from BMW, then a trade-in to VW). Brakes and tires are original.
  • arctic56arctic56 Member Posts: 17
    You don't mention how it is equipped, so it is hard to comment on price. The mileage should be of no concern. I always wonder why some are CPO'd and some are not. It is typically determined by a calculation of what it will cost to bring it to CPO level versus what the will be able to sell it for. It is also determined by how much they have to buy it from BMW finance for. Body damage and or tires are some of the major factors for the first point. The floor mat issue could be that there are factory available carpet and rubber floor mats. Both may have been replaced which isn't uncommon. Have someone check for body damage and repaint. That would be my guess. Carfax only tells you what someone makes an effort to report, so it is not the final word. Good luck.
    It seems to have xenon, keyless, sunroof, cold weather package and some components of premium - lumbar, power adjust, memory seating--not sure on the leather though.

It's not CPO'd cuz it's not a BMW dealer--that's my guess.

My hesitation with the mileage is someone racked up ~18k a year since they had it (it's only 2 years old)--this shouldn't be a consideration?

I have to drive 1.5 hours to get to the car, have to find a 3rd party mechanic that's not my normal guy...hopefully that goes over well.

Thanks again.
    The 2009 328xi black/black sedan with 36,500 miles is actually a base model with only single disc cd player, sunroof, heated seats. Tested the heck out of the brakes, and they seem good and tires are about 6/32nds. The VW dealer will warranty everything for 3 months too, and I'm still covered under the factory warranty for about ~13k miles or til 2013.

$24,750+dealer fee+tax

Any thoughts on this deal, arctic? Thanks.
  • scottfreenscottfreen Member Posts: 1
    Hey Guys

im looking at buying a used 2010 328i from a bmw dealer with 13k miles. in terms of features its got

M Sport Package, Value Package, Moonroof, Power Front Seats With Memory, BMW Assist With Bluetooth, Satellite Radio4-Wheel ABS, Climate Control, Dual Zone A/C, A/C, Rear A/C, Vehicle Anti-Theft System, AM/FM Stereo, CD Player, Auxiliary Audio Input, HD Radio, Rear Wheel Drive, Gasoline Fuel, Heated Mirrors, Heated Exterior Driver Mirror, Heated Exterior Passenger Mirror, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Driver Air Bag, Passenger Air Bag, Passenger Air Bag On/Off Switch, Side Air Bag, Side Head Air Bag, Rear Head Air Bag, Leather Seats, Bucket Seats, Adjustable Steering Wheel, Tires - Front Performance, Tires - Rear Performance, Traction Control.

Its not certified though. I was told that bmw does not certify some cars if they are newish/low miliage as it add to the price (thats at least what the dealers say when i ask them why its not certified). The funny thing is other dealers i have spoke with say "never" buy a used car if its not certified". "if bmw wont certify it something most be wrong" What also purturbs me is that I saw a similar car same model/year/similar miliage but with the premium package that was certified.

The price point is where i want to be at 33K out the door. Does that sound like good deal? Is there something I am missing in regards to it not being certified and when i look at the car what should else should I be looking for (this is my first bmw)?

I've also noticed that prices vary alot based on geography. I found at 2011 in Atlanta with 12300 miles for 30K before taxes. that seem like a heck of a deal (I'm in southwest). thats a big clip from las vegas prices. also the prices seem cheap on the east coast NYC area. is that just due to possible wear and tear from the cold weather?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listin- gId=66025579&listingRecNum=1&criteria=sf1Dir%3DASC%26mkId%3D20005%26stkTyp%3DU%2- 6mdId%3D20444%26rd%3D100000%26mlgId%3D28867%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkI- d-mdId-mlgId-yrId-prcId%26zc%3D85226%26prcId%3D28828%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26s- tkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26yrId%3D34923%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26- rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national

thanks again

sF
  • sg208sg208 Member Posts: 5
    It's possible. I just got a 07 328xi with 44k miles in Utah over the weekend and the price was $3K lower than what I can get in Idaho, where I live. It was only 5 hours ride home so I took the plunge. If you can save $3K by travelling a few hours, I'd say DO IT. You get a change to drive long in your new used bimmer. Atlanta from the southwest maybe a bit crazy but definitely doable.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    CL ad..

Over 100K miles, but looks decent....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    And It is a stick too. Yummy!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    I've recently started lusting after 328 wagons, but not sure when/if I'd ever make a move away from my Volvo V70. The primary motivation is getting a manual, for the more sporty driving experience (and BMW vs Volvo provides some of that, shifting or not!) and that a manual out-of-warranty is not as scary as an automatic out-of-warranty.

So my biggest question is this... how much of a consideration should 328xi vs. 328i become? I know if I stay away from the xi's that will really limit my choices, but how noticeable is the 250-lb weight penalty of the xi? And are there significant differences in reliability/repair costs down the road with an xi (I know there's not much to speak to that from this generation, but maybe the older 325's will shed some light?)
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • gdkalyanapugdkalyanapu Member Posts: 1
    It was car buying time for me now and i'm confused which ones to pick. I was inclined towards bmw. With the budget I have, I was looking for a 2006-07 BMW 328i. All the cars in my range either have high mileage or accident report. Also. I want to know if buying a car that has a few months of CPO would be a good idea or do i not need it at all. Also, can somebody advise me on what I need to look from maintainance perspective?
  • mattyfreshmattyfresh Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering purchasing a 2008-2010 3-Series sportwagon and need to get honest opinions regarding reliabilty. Maintenance and overall impression of the vehicle. HELP!!!!

thanks guys

matt
  • mattyfreshmattyfresh Member Posts: 2
    ronsteve did you ever purchase a wagon? I'm in the same boat. I'm torn between a 2009-2010 Volvo V70 (non-XC) and a 2008-2010 BMW 3-Series wagon. Just wanted to see if you made a purchase.

hope this finds you well

matt
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Nice cars. A bit maintenance heavy, especially if you rely on the dealership--it's gonna hurt sometimes. You'll probably have to deal with Run Flat Tires, which a few people like, but most don't enjoy the noise and harshness, or the expense. I'd recommend avoiding them and getting regular premium tires + BMW's spare tire kit, or some space saver kit (pump + sealant).

It would be great, once you're out of warranty, to take your car to a good independent shop; also join the BMW club of America for parts discounts.

Buy the nicest example with the lowest mileage that you can afford.
    What Mr. Shiftright said. The 328i is pretty reliable overall. The key is maintaining it properly- here's my recommended schedule:

Oil and Filter- Every 8,000-9,000 miles, using a BMW filter and either BMW 5W-30 Synthetic, Castrol Syntec 0W-30, or Mobil 1 0W-40

MT oil or ATF- every 50,000 miles using BMW proprietary fluids

Brake Fluid Change- Every two years using a DOT 4 fluid; ATE Super Blue, BMW DOT 4, and Castrol LMA are good choices

Coolant- Every 3-4 years; using BMW coolant only

You shouldn't need brakes for 90,000-100,000 miles at least

Tires should last 40,000-50,000 miles

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    ronsteve did you ever purchase a wagon?

No, I'm staying put for now. The extended warranty on my V70 runs out next June, at which point I might revisit the discussion.

Would still LOVE to get my hands on a Bimmer at some point, but they're so hard to find with the stick.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Well, I topped off my radiator with (gasp) Prestone!

I suppose the bottom tank is going to fall off now!
  • hiluxssrghiluxssrg Member Posts: 6
    Hello all,

Would anyone offer their purchasing recommendation on the following?

2008 BMW 3 Series 328xi CPO Off Lease

36k miles, all service performed at dealership

BMW dealer asking $27,500 from posted $29,500 sale price

Automatic Transmission/ Premium Package/ Leather Seating/ Xenon High Intensity Discharge Headlights/ Satellite Radio System/ Rear Ski Bag/ Hands-Free Multi-Function Remote w/Keyless Ignition/ BMW Assist/ Bluetooth

I haven't started negotiating yet, but salesperson/dealer looks motivated to sell.

Not sure if the offer is fair or out-of-line. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles.
    edited August 2011
    Well, I topped off my radiator with (gasp) Prestone!

I suppose the bottom tank is going to fall off now!

It's your car and your choice, but no way would I use anything other than BMW, Mercedes, or Zerex G-05 coolant in a BMW. Using the proper coolant is cheap insurance- use of an incorrect coolant explains why many older Bimmers suffer catastrophic cooling system failures.

From my friend/tech guru Mike Miller- writing in Bimmer magazine:

BMWs are incredibly sensitive to operating fluids, including coolant. I've always felt this is due to the metallurgy used in the engine construction, but there is no way to know for sure. On neglected cars, aluminum oxidation builds up in various places within the engine, including on older models, between coolant hoses and aluminum fittings. That is the most obvious manifestation of aluminum oxidation. It causes the worst problems inside the sometimes tiny coolant passages of the cylinder head, where it can act like hardening of the arteries, restricting or even cutting off the supply of coolant to various parts of the cylinder head. This sometimes presents itself as phantom overheating with no known cause, though more often than not the cylinder head gasket blows before that.
    I learned long ago that using phosphate free Original BMW antifreeze mixed 50-50 with distilled water and changing it every 2 years, of even four years on hotter running OBD-II models essentially eliminates aluminum oxidation. The cars I maintain don't blow head gaskets or have chronic overheating problems.

I'd guess that $26,000 would be a fair price.

• hiluxssrghiluxssrg Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2011
    $26,000 would be a good price to get it at. I guess I can offer $25,000 to start negotiations, but I wonder if that is too low?

I got a phone call yesterday from an Infiniti salesperson offering a competitive offer on a 2010 G37X and now I feel a bit torn between the two cars.

Wish I could get both.

Thanks for the input.
    Well you cannot negotiate successfully if you can't get up and walk out. And if they let you walk out (literally or metaphorically by phone), and don't call you back, then your offer was too low. If they counter, you're still in the game.
  • breezleybreezley Member Posts: 9
    I am consdering at 2009 that is at a local toyota dealership. When looking up on the VIN on car max I found that the following

one person owned it then ....
    - it was offered for sale by a nearby BMW dealership as a certified PreOwned BMW.
    -then 5 days later it was sold at auction (Listed as a dealer vehicle Sold at auction)

The Toyota dealership registered it after the auction so they obviously got it there. My question is, is it still a Certified Pre Owned BMW? It's not listed as such, but if it was certified as preowned then sold to another dealership wouldn't it still be certified?? As I understand it Certified PreOwned have extra warranty that may not come with the car if it's not :confuse: a certified preowned.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    It's possible that you could find a previously certified CPO vehicle at a non-BMW dealership. But, it seems doubtful that the original dealership would pay BMW the $1500 or so to certify the car (and add the warranty), only to send it to auction a few days later...

The only way to know for sure is to give the VIN to someone at a BMW dealership and ask them to tell you if it has the CPO warranty.

That isn't information they will normally give out, except to someone that owns the vehicle.. You might have to drop in and kindly ask a service advisor for a favor....

If it is CPO, then that warranty transfers to whoever owns the car.. Don't tell the Toyota dealership, or they may jack up the price.... ;)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

That's what happened with one of the cars I was looking at. The selling dealer gave me the Carfax that clearly stated the car had been sold as a CPO BMW previously. A friend at my BMW dealer confirmed that the CPO warranty was still valid. It was a nice car but a painfully boring color combo(silver/black).

• loyalistloyalist Member Posts: 1
    Good morning.

I realize there's no easy answer to this, but how do you factor in mileage when deciding whether to purchase a used BMW? I'm looking at a 2003 330ci 2D coupe with 137,000 for about $9500. That seems to be pushing the limit, but I've seen BMWs push well into 200,000 or beyond.

I realize it's all a bit of a crapshoot, but the car does have a very consistent maintenance record going back to its birth. Is there some guide or formula or something that would help?

Thank you!
    edited September 2011
    Factoring mileage into what? The purchase price? Any online pricing guide takes mileage into account. And 137k on a 9-year-old car isn't exactly outside the bell curve. It is right within it, as a matter of fact (just a hair over 15k/year).

High mileage doesn't always scare me. It all comes down to how it was taken care of. If it is ultra-clean, well maintained, and everything checks out by a mechanic prior to purchase, I see no reason why such a vehicle wouldn't last you for years to come.

As a rough guideline, I'd knock off about $1200 off asking price for mileage at least. Actual value depends a lot on condition and the options the car has. It could be worth from $7000 to $9500.
  • gshocksvgshocksv Member Posts: 77
    Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I last posted a msg. The first car I got out of college was a 2002 Ford Mustang V6 manual, it was a fun car to drive and was problem-free, perfect for a young out of the college kid. I had since gotten a 2002 Jaguar S-Type and a 2007 Mercedes E350 Sport. The E350 was a lease and after I returned the E350, I kept the Jaguar. The Jaguar had too many problems so I decided to get a new car. I really wanted a manual sports car but it was nearly impossible to find a manual 328 coupe, so I finally caved in and got an automatic. I actually bought it back in June, by just looking at the numbers, it seems like an ok deal, but the condition of the car is amazing, the interior looks absolutely new, and that's why I think this is a good deal. Dark Gray exterior with black interior, and black walnut wood.

2008 BMW 328i Coupe
    Premium Pkg
    iPad adaptor
    Automatic with sportshift
    34,500 miles
    CPO to 100,000 miles
    Bought it for $26,400 (not including tax), and a 2.9% loan.

Although the car drives tight and I do like the look and interior of the car, it seems a bit slow to me. It is certainly a lot slower than the G37, not to mentioned it's not as well equipped. Overall, I am still happy with the car, but I think I will look at other options harder next time if BMW doesn't match their competitors in the future.

G