Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Tahoe Electrical Problems

Comments

• Options
    gzrglydegzrglyde Member Posts: 2
    I ended up taking mine to the dealer and when they hooked it up to the computer, it had about 40 faults. Ended up being a Body Control Module and some bad grounds. Been fine since.
  • Options
    popa4th3boyspopa4th3boys Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. Just drove it down the road and now working fine....was the module expensive?
  • Options
    hre358hre358 Member Posts: 2
    Hi sean61, did you get your electrical problem fixed with the tahoe? If so, what caused it, I seem to have the same problem.
    Harry
  • Options
    lawman1947lawman1947 Member Posts: 1
    Recently I began to hear very random clicks coming from inside the dash. They are sometimes in rapid succession, sometimes just a few here and there. They clicks sound like a small relay of some sort, but other than the irritation of the noise nothing seems to be affected (except my radio amp went dead once, but after starting the car up the next day the amp was fine. Weird)

Any idea what this clicking might be?
  • Options
    hre358hre358 Member Posts: 2
    Hi sean61,
    MY PROBLEM IS FIXED! Same as yours so fix will probably work for you too. The symptoms were the same, abs, brake, and engine lites on, brake service warning, door locks clicking, and engine wanting to run in idle mode. The problem was a bad black with yellow stripe wire coming from wire harness on top passenger side of engine and going to back of engine. It was damaged where it attached to rear of engine. We just spliced a new wire to it and ran it to front of head to a bolt. YEAH! It really did fix it!!!! Hope you see this and it helps you or anyone else having this problem.
    Harry
  • Options
    westjr88westjr88 Member Posts: 2
    I have an '07 Tahoe and just recently the check engine light came on and later that afternoon, the voltage gauge started going crazy and the fuel gauge stopped working. The next day, my wife was driving to work and it slowed and the reduced engine power light came on and it started coming and going and had no power. She managed to get it back to a shop near home where they changed a crank sensor and the battery. Same problem. Took it to another mechanic who put it on the computer and it showed 62 codes. So far, i have $535 in it and same problem. I know it has to be some little wire somewhere or something stupid like that but i'd like to find it before i sink alot more money into it. Anyone ever have the same type of issues? Thank you for your time. :confuse:
  • Options
    ldreesldrees Member Posts: 2
    UPDATE: Electrical issue fixed. My problem ended up being that my radio had a short in it due to the kids putting a piece of change in it. I unhooked the radio, put in the new fuse and it never blew again. I replaced the radio about two weeks ago and life is good.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Heh, what is it about kids, slots and nickels? :-)

Thanks for reporting back.
  • Options
    pwaggpwagg Member Posts: 1
    I am recycling a Military Police 2007 Tahoe for a small state police department. All the windows, locks, mirrors, front A/C fan, and the all gauges & ODO are not functioning. My first thoughts are during removal of police equipment something came unpluged or damaged...any ideas on a good place to start looking???
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Probably more likely that they blew a fuse when taking out all the old stuff. Check all of the fuse boxes, use a voltmeter if necessary to see what has power, and what doesn't. Track it back on the electrical schematics to see what is blown.
  • Options
    diane319diane319 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2009 Chevy Tahoe and have been having what appear to be electrical issues for almost two years. It started with my navigation system. While driving, the screen would go black and it would shut off/on. I had the system replaced twice, but the issues continued. Then, other strange issues began occurring randomly: 1) warning lights flash on and off while driving; 2) outside temperature reading sticks at 55 degrees or 78 degrees; 3) door locks click on and off while driving; 4) key fob does not work; 5) dome lights go black immediately upon shutting off the car - no electricity in vehicle; 6) unable to start car on first attempt, but then hear clicking sounds signaling the return of electricity; 7) headlights alternate between dim and regular strength while driving; 8) all power/electricity turn on and off while driving, resulting in the car losing power/stalling and having to coast to the side of the road. I have taken the vehicle in to the dealer 3 or 4 times, but they could never duplicate the problems while the vehicle was hooked up to the computer, and sent me home every time as though nothing was wrong. I recently contacted GM to find out if others had reported similar problems, hoping to get information I could take to my mechanic so that he could fix the defect(s), but GM dismissed my complaints after the customer service person spoke with the service department at my dealership. In order to put less strain on the electrical system, I don't drive with the radio or navigation system on anymore, and as much as possible, I try not to use the air conditioning. My children are so worried about the car jerking to a stop while we are on a busy street that they do not want to get into the car. My 12 year old son is so concerned that he spent more than an hour searching the internet this week to find out what is wrong with our car. After reading all of these posts, it is apparent that GM is, in fact, aware of these same issues with hundreds of other vehicle, but has elected to ignore the consumers and make no attempt to remedy what has clearly been mass production of defective and unsafe vehicles for many, many people. After reading what everyone else has written, I am going to bring this information to my service department hoping that they will be able to identify and diagnose the defect(s). After paying more than $50,000.00 for a "lemon", why am I the one doing the work of the "factory trained" GM technicians? Obviously, defective GM vehicles are the reason why people choose to buy foreign cars.
  • Options
    slowcrawlerslowcrawler Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Ran into the same problem the other day for the first time with my 2008 Tahoe. Thought it was a fluke thing and it did it twice to me then went away. Thought ok maybe that was the end of it. But when it did do it it was like my Tahoe was possessed everything was going on and off. Every gage looked like windshield wipers going back and forth. Every indicator light was blinking on and off. Door locks where unlocking and locking so fast that the actuators got to a point where they seemed like they could not keep up and started jamming up. Then it started to stall out. Next day my wife was driving it and it started doing it again, scared the hell out of her. Its only a matter a time before this causes a major accident such as a fire or airbags inadvertanly deploying because of the sensors getting affected. It will happen to one of us who are having this issue eventually God forbid. I know if it comes to that GM is going to be begging for mercy. Going to be taking it in this week but I'm sure I'll get the, can't duplicate the issue answer. Its a shame at the money we paid for a nice family vehicle to have these issues.
  • Options
    lcsmith0000lcsmith0000 Member Posts: 1
    My 08 Tahoe LTZ in the shop right now for this very thing. Truck acts like its possessed! It all started with a warranty replacement of a cracked dashboard. After getting it back, the nav/radio would go off and restart on its own and different warning light would come on. (Random occurrence) but often. Then this past saturday the truck completely shut down after being turned off. No electrical thing would work(lights doors locks and would not crank; funny clicking noise and needles jumping on odometer)I had to disconnect the battery to "reset" the truck. Took to dealer monday they could find nothing. Tuesday truck became "possessed" with the rest of your symptoms.locks engaging on their own various warning lights nav radio go out car jerks and slows..... what is going on?
  • Options
    westjr88westjr88 Member Posts: 2
    The problem with my truck ended up being a bundle of wires that dropped down against the drive shaft and several were chafed in two. Problem solved.
  • Options
    rancezrancez Member Posts: 2
    Curious to see if anyone else is having the following issues and what was done to resolve it for a 2007 Tahoe LTZ, costs and if it was covered by warranty.

At 70k miles I just started recieving the error messages with stabilitrak and traction control as well as having delayed starting. After turning the key to start, you can hear it cranking over and over with no start, it would even continue to crank once I let go of the keys. It would only stop when i turn it back. When it would finally start after cranking, the vehicle would "jerk" a lil. During driving, the stabilitrak and traction control and check engine warning lights would go on and off intermittently. One effect during driving is that it would seem like the vehicle will die during sharp turns (like a u turn) or when the vehicle is in reverse. Another wierd behavior is an error message that basically says engine is running hot so A/C has been turned off, but the engine is running cool with no over heating heating.
  • Options
    rancezrancez Member Posts: 2
    also, when warning message says A/C has been turned off due to engine running hot, the temperature stays at 160, like the guage froze. while the day prior, the nominal operating temp is at 210. this too is an intermitten problem with no repetition pattern
  • Options
    t_text_tex Member Posts: 25
    What state/city is the car located in?
  • Options
    cocahogcocahog Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody figured this out yet? I have warning lights flashing off and on. At first it was just my "tire monitor" light going on and off. But today, the tire monitor light, service traction control light and stabilization light were all coming on and going off. This is on a 2007 Tahoe LS. It's just 2 or 3 months out of warranty.
  • Options
    aupaup Member Posts: 1
    HI, I huse to have a Tahoe 2007 in Mexico, built in the states, I had the same kind of proble, when i was driving sudenly the door locks started to go up and down, and then the tahoe would go completly dead, and it wopuld take long before you could turn it on again, and it went as if nothing happened, i took it to the gm agency and they did not find the problem, once it did it on the highway and after strugling with every elctrical conector I found out the problem, fixed it really easilly and it never gave me more problems. if you open the right front door you will see a little cover on the side of the dashboard, if you open it you will find a conector in there, on my tahoe it was not making good contact, so I plug it again and put electrical tape to keep it from moving and that was it, it never gave more trouble. i Knew that the problem was there because when i open the cover and touched the conector ths door locks went up and down. I hope that helps.
    Right now i have the same problem but with a 2009 Tahoe, i have tried to tight all conectors and i do not know if the problem is foxed or not, it is hard to know becase there are not any symptoms until it happens, does someone knows how to fix it in the 2009 TAHOE?
  • Options
    jchayesjchayes Member Posts: 4
    Christina/Jared:

I am having the exact same trouble and have a dead Tahoe that needs to be towed. Car was parked in garage Monday night and then dead Tuesday morning. Dead meaning will not start. All other electrical seems fine. This is the second time this has happened. Do we know what the issue is from all the others having the same issue?

Thanks
  • Options
    jchayesjchayes Member Posts: 4
    Did you get this resolved, and can you share with me what was fixed. I have the exact same problem now for the second time.
  • Options
    durrangokid60durrangokid60 Member Posts: 5
    I am experiencing this problem with my 2008 suburban ltz. It started a few months ago with just resetting the clock. Now it acts like it is possessed...locks going, dash lights flashing, complete loss of electrical power, clicking sounds in dash, then coming back on. Had it in the shop...couldn't find anything wrong with it. I can touch the positive post on my battery...sometimes have to loosen and retighten the bolt...then the electrical system 'resets'. Any suggestions? Had the shop look for frayed wires, but nothing. They had it for 3 days.
  • Options
    t1tan23t1tan23 Member Posts: 1
    Both of the rear windows are not responding to the door switches or the drivers switches. I have checked all the fuses and relays and all appear to be good. What is strange to me is that both rear windows make no noise, have no movement and are 100% dead. Power locks on both rear doors work fine and all the systems on the front doors woke fine. I pulled the panel off of the drivers door and the drivers passenger door thinking that something just may have been disconnected. I bought this vehicle used and it looks as if there used to be a high-end sound system in it, so I was hoping then when the previous owner pulled out the sound system that something just got unplugged by mistake, but from what I can tell, everything is plugged into where it supposed to be.

Any thoughts on what else to check or how to check it?
  • Options
    sox10sox10 Member Posts: 9
    Today my radio has huge amount of static coming through it. all fuses are working fine but every station has static and the seek work land on a station. any ides?
  • Options
    mhal1mhal1 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2011
    Diane319,
    Message #174
    Did you ever resolve this issue, and if so how? I am having the exact problem with my 2009 Tahoe LTZ.
  • Options
    chgardnechgardne Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same issues with my 2008 Tahoe LTZ. Only difference is my AC/Heat will set itself to 74 degrees, with the passenger dual climate control on and the auxiliary air/heat on in the back. Did you ever get this issue resolved?
  • Options
    katieikatiei Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2008 Tahoe 7 months ago as a certified preowned car. Luckily I bought the extra insurance because it has needed to be towed SEVEN times to the dealership. Every time The battery is dead and obviously something is draining it. One time they said it was a seat warmer misfiring, next they said it was the alarm.... It is back in the shop again and because they cant DUPLICATE the problem while it has been in the shop they want me to come pick it up and bring the unreliable car home. I refused to pick up the car if it is not 100% fixed so they finally got GM involved... I threatened to hire an attorney and now I have a meeting today to go over our options with GM but they may be buying the car back from me. THEY STILL HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AFTER 7 months of this issue. Makes me even more mad to see that a lot of people are having this issue because they told me they have never heard of an issue like this before. I think there needs to be a recall on these vehicles... dont make them unless you know how to fix them!
  • Options
    Depending on the 'incident' sometimes my 2008 Suburban LTZ also resets the climate controls to 74 (as well as all the other crazy stuff). Driving me crazy! Can't believe GM won't fess up to a problem such as this!
  • Options
    HRE358 - I've had the same problem with my 09 LT Tahoe. Is the wiring harness underneath the black plastic cowl that is position over the top of the engine? I'm having a hard time locating the black/yellow stripe wire. thanks
  • Options
    gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    durrangokid60,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with a dealer? If not, I would start there. Have you spoke with GM Customer Assistance? If not, I would recommend doing so. Please feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Assistance
  • Options
    I have a 2009 Tahoe with an intermittent but complex problem with the electrical system. I can go a couple of days driving short trips with no problems but then after driving a few days the problem rears itself. First the lights (intererior and exterior) will blink for a second and then the door locks will go up and down sometimes just once other times multiple times. Then the information center display (odometer and temp) will go out for a few seconds. Then the air conditioning system will start to sound like the fan air is being blocked and won't come out of the vents and finally the outside air temp indicator on the air conditioning display will drop to 55 and the buttons for passenger, rear will all light up and because the outside temp is reading 55 the air conditioning is set to auto it will switch to heat (it's 85 degrees outside) because of the false 55 degree reading on the outside air temp sensor indicator. Also on a couple of occasions the cd player kept cycling like it was trying to eject a cd but there was no cd in the player. I took it to Chevy and because it is intermittent they said that I should only bring it in when it's having problems otherwise they wouldn't find any error codes or see the problem. I did take it to a local certified shop to check alternator and battery and they scanned but didn't find any error codes or problems. I took a chance and had the body control module replaced on the advice of some mechanics and that didn't do the trick - so even though you may be desparate don't throw away money on guessing - it gets expensive. I've only had one time when the car died and then wouldn't start but it was scary because I was on a 4 lane highway divided by a center lane for turning and I just made it across the oncoming traffic to get off the road. I love the car but hate the uncertainty and can't let my kids drive it for sure. I've read some of the "fixes" which include checking a black wire with yellow stripe on the back of the engine and making sure connectors are tight everywhere and of course had the alternator and battery tested. I'm not sure what to do at this point because of the intermittent nature of the problem. For those of you who have had similar problems have you been able to have the problems properly diagnosed and identified/fixed?
  • Options
    stacygoss21stacygoss21 Member Posts: 3
    I am at my wits end here. I purchased a 2008 Chevy Suburban about 6 months ago. Up until about 10 days ago, it ran like a champ. The last week in a half, however, it will not start. I go out in the morning, and the lights, radio, etc. all work, but the car just will not start. Once it is hooked up to jumper cables, it starts right away. However, when I get to my destination, I cannot turn it off, or it will be dead again. It has the backup camera, navigation screen, DVD players, heated seats, etc. Obviously something is draining the battery, but would the lights and such still work if so?

One thing I also wonder about is the remote start. We just started using it about 2 weeks ago for the first time. Now all of the sudden, my car won't start.

Has anybody ran across a problem like this with their car? I am at my wits end..I am a traveling photographer, and have gotten stranded at a handful of shoots because of this.

Any help is appreciated greatly!
  • Options
    Follow Up: I've been reading alot of similar situations to mine (electrical malfunctions with door locks, lights, ignition, radio,etc.)- all with GM vehicles and I can't help but think that maybe a component that is common to all these vehicle is the culprit - Onstar Module. Onstar controls door locks, can shut your ignition off, can slow your car to a stop, can affect lights, horn, and radio, and is circuited through all the electrical modules that controls these things. Even if you don't use your Onstar it is still connected to your communication bus and electrical systems. Onstar is disabled when you disconnect the battery, hence your car will start when you disconnect then reconnect your battery. I've got the same problems and I'm going to have Chevy look into this and possibly disconnect the Onstar or pull fuse to see what happens. For everyone who is posting with these same problems, PLEASE post back if you find a resolution to your problem. Thanks
  • Options
    Hi Christina...

I have not taken it to a GM Dealer...from what I have read on the boards, this appears to be a problem with no solution. I cannot afford to have my vehicle in the shop for days on end, spending hundreds to thousands of dollars on a problem that according to some "GM knows about, but doesn't have a solution." And, of course, the vehicle is out of warranty. I have had it at a high-tech shop...they ran all the diagnostics and tests, but found nothing. Fortunately, I have a good relationship with the shop owner, and he didn't charge me anything, because he couldn't find anything wrong.

I have no problem taking it to a GM dealer IF THEY HAVE A SOLUTION and can fix it once and for all.
  • Options
    Please post if you find anything out...that sounds like a possibility. I hadn't thought about the On-Star module...
  • Options
    I see that you have already visited your dealer and they encouraged you to return when the concern arises again. I’m sorry it wasn’t able to be resolved at that point, but thank you for your patience! Please keep us posted, of if you would like Customer Assistance, email Christina here.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    tr_bbbtr_bbb Member Posts: 2
    t_tex

GM has a TSB that related to some of the problems that you list, I have posted part below.

If you call BBB Industries tech line (Go to bbbind.com) for phone number, they should be able to get you a copy.

Thanks,
    Tom

LOSS OF HIGH SPEED GMLAN COMMUNICATIONS, INTERMITTENT NO CRANK, IP
    GAGE FLUCTUATION, INTERMITTENT DOOR LOCK CYCLING, INTERMITTENT
    CHIME OPERATION, VARIOUS IP WARNING LAMPS ILLUMINATED,
    TRANSMISSION MAY NOT SHIFT, COMMUNICATION DTCS U0073, U0100, U0101,
    U0102, U0109, U0121 OR U0140 SET (REPAIR TERMINALS IN TRANSMISSION
    HARNESS CONNECTOR, REPAIR OPEN OR SHORTED GM HIGH SPEED LAN
    CIRCUITS, OPEN OR SHORTED DATA LINK RESISTOR, CORROSION OR POOR
    CONNECTIONS IN VARIOUS CONTROL MODULE CONNECTORS)
    TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
    Reference Number(s): 08-07-30-021F, Date of Issue: May 26, 2011
    Affected
    Model(s):
    2007-2010 Cadillac XLR; 2007-2011 Cadillac Escalade Models; 2009-2011 Cadillac
    Escalade Hybrid; 2007-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Corvette, Silverado, Suburban,
    Tahoe
  • Options
    Thanks TR BBB - I took the Tahoe back in to Chevy on Monday and this time I left it with them. Haven't heard anything yet but I did give the service man who wrote up my repair ticket a copy of the TSB you referred to. I had found a really good copy at
    http://www.dixie-electric.com/tsb/TSB_198.pdf It's very detailed and I'm sure the techs at Chevy will run their diagnostics by protocol but I thought I would give them the document with a check by all the problems that were relevant to my 09 Tahoe. I just hope they come up with some codes so they have something to go on besides my listing of all the intermittent problems.
  • Options
    tr_bbbtr_bbb Member Posts: 2
    t-tex, Did the dealership solve the problem?
  • Options
    It was there for one week and when I picked it up they said that they did find a couple of wires under the dash that were chafed and they repaired those and rerouted some other wiring but they never could replicate the problem. I drove the Tahoe for about 130 miles and it started the same problems all over again. The problem was that when all the lights start coming on/door locks start cycling up and down it then goes into limp home mode and I have to pull over, disconnect and reconnect the batter and then it runs fine for another 100 miles. So now they are just driving it until the car act up and hopefully it will be close enough to the dealership so they can drive back in limp home mode.
  • Options
    jnrcatjnrcat Member Posts: 1
    We have a late model 2000 Tahoe. Our most recent issue is the other day the truck had NO POWER at all. No door locks, radio, lights.... So since door locks did not work, had to do it manually. (We know it's not the battery, starter or alternator) After opening and closing the driver side door, everything worked again. ? Now a couple months ago we had issues where the truck wouldn't kick over. We narrowed it down to either the fuel pump, fuel pump relay or short. Found out the 40amp fuse kept blowing out. To jump to the end of that story, we found out that part of the heat shield was too close to the starter and by removing the shield and cutting an inch or 2 off the heat shield and then putting it back on, everything was fine. Wasn't easy or cheap to finally figure that out. Bought a lot of unnecessary fuses and also paid a guy 100 who got it running for a day until it did the same thing. Now we are sure this current problem has to be electrical. Anyone ever have this happen? The truck started fine when we checked periodically yesterday and also on the way to work this morning, BUT when leaving work, it did it again. I unlocked the doors with the remote. Got in turned the key and then NO POWER again until I opened and closed the driver side door. Also the passenger window has not been working for a few days. Has done this before but usually eventually will work again. Only hear a clicking sound but no window movement. I have been going through a lot of these older forums but there are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many.
  • Options
    Update: Car was in the Chevy dealer shop for over a week. They test drove the Tahoe until would act up again and it finally did for the tech. They couldn't see any DTCs stored even after it went into a total malfunction episode - chimes ringing, warning lights illuminating, service messages in the DIC, door locks cycling multiple time and then finally ending with car in limp mode. So the diagnosis was going to be slow going. They tried replacing the fuse block but that didn't fix anything (they didn't charge me they just put my old one back on). Finally, after over a week in their shop (second time in shop over a week at Chevy) I had the car towed to a specialty Auto Electrical shop yesterday that I'm hoping will properly diagnose and fix the car. The problem with the Chevy dealer is that in order for the techs to make any money they have to FIX cars. So my car's tech couldn't afford to just stay working on my car full-time - he had to take on other cars that could make him money, while he was working on my car. At least they are honest about that. So my only choices were to leave at Chevy indefinitely with tech working on it part time or going with the specialty shop with the tech's undivided attention - an obvious decision. I'll keep you posted.
  • Options
    pookitasdpookitasd Member Posts: 1
    Have an 07 Tahoe that has had intermittent and what I thought were just isolated freak things happening, but once I read everthing here I'm thinking they are all related and long running. On occasion I've had problems with door locks not working, windows not working, and various error messages that were wrong. Then went out to take my kids to school two days ago and it wouldn't start. Assumed it was the battery but all the dash was lit up and the radio worked. The exterior lights worked but not the interior lights and the door locks and key fob didn't work. Had my inlaw replace the battery and still wouldn't start. He checked all relays and fuses and still nothing. Had it towed to our mechanic and hoping he can find something, but this car seems to have been plagued by small weird problems since we got it. Hoping to find a solution and avoid the dealership on this...
  • Options
    jimmycarter29jimmycarter29 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 GMC that has had intermittent electrical issues since day of purchase starting at 16 miles. As I read everthing here I'm thinking they are all related and that GM has an Electrical issue they are covering up. On occasion I've had problems with door locks not working, windows not working, and various error messages that were wrong. It wouldn't start. Assumed it was the battery , replaced 3 times. replaced batter cable $400 . 4 fuel pumps, all main board computers replaced twice and problem still existed. All the dash was lit up and the radio worked. The exterior lights worked but not the interior lights and the door locks and key didn't work. Had dealer in Austin drive vehicle to see issue but GM still not aggreeing to electrical issue. The dealer checked all relays and fuses . This truck seems to have been plagued by small weird problems since I got it. The Dealer found that the main fuse block was Bad this cost me $1089. GM refuse to pay for it. The dealer lied and said that part failed due to age, but this vehicle has always had the issue. If you find that bthis is your issue by the part and replace it yourself the dealers price is inflated part can be purchase for about $150-200. The GM Service manager and Customer care tried to convince me that these electrical issues are not related. If you have the basic understanding of electronics and wiring you could see this as an issue. At this point I am testing to see if problems return and will send the old part out to have a FA done. GM should cover this but again business politics and Greed is more important than Consumer safety and Quality products.

Testing and hoping for a fix
  • Options
    t_tex,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Did the dealer involve Technical Assistance? Can you email me your VIN and current mileage? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    If you like, poolkitasd, I can look into your vehicle's information to see if there are any open recalls associated to your VIN. Please email me the last 8 digits of your VIN and we'll do that!

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    mr_bossmanmr_bossman Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I see that alot of you have experienced unexplained electrical problems in your GM vehicle 2006 or newer. How ever I am in the process of purchasing from a private party a 2002 Suburban that seems to have a drained battery every time I go to turn the truck on and while driving I have experienced the door locks on/off symptom along with a quick "Safety" light that flashes on/off on the dash and interior lights on/off as the door locks lock and unlock. I have not experienced any power loss and the truck keeps driving fine it's just that very quick door locks and lights thing that happen very fast and everything continues as normal. The guy I'm buying the truck from is getting me a new battery any day now but from reading the prev messages I'm thinking this is more than getting a new battery in the truck. I love the truck other than that electrical issue but I have second thoughts now. If someone can post a fix for this I'll be so happy buying this truck if not I might have to return it. Might be that guy im buying from knows of the problem and is dumping it on me?

That OnStar theory by T Tex makes sense to me,.... any luck with that T Tex?
  • Options
    jbossertjbossert Member Posts: 38
    I have this exact same problem with my 2007 Chevy Tahoe. Cycling gages, intermittent chimes, transmission etc. Did you get the problem solved? I have had my vehicle in the shop probably 8 times or so in the last 7 months for this issue and it is not yet resolved. It is going back into the shop tonight. PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!
  • Options
    No, the dealer had it two different times for over a week each time. The dealership tech I think was just overmatched with this problem and wasn't motivated to work on a vehicle that required alot of research and possible technical assistance from GM while generating very little repair billing. It takes a very experienced and well trained tech who is willing to follow some very intense diagnostic protocols to be able to solve intermittent electrical problems - and I think if you read enough of these blogs you come to find out that there are very few of those kind of techs out there - in dealerships or independent shops. I have it at a specialty auto electric shop right now and we'll see what they can do - they drove it for about 300 miles before it malfunctioned on them so it's slow going. I did receive an email from Christina (GM) asking for my VIN and mileage which I replied to but I haven't heard anything back. My biggest complaint with GM is that they have developed very complex electrical systems (GMLAN) that provide a very advanced vehicle but there is not enough well trained, experienced techs who can fix these vehicles when the electrical systems start going haywire - especially the intermittent kind. I would prefer to use my Cheverolet dealer to work on this problem but they are not prepared (through training or experience) or motivated to properly diagnose and solve my Tahoe's intermittent electrical issues.
  • Options
    jbossertjbossert Member Posts: 38
    Yeah, I think you are spot-on with your assessment of Tech capabilities (and availability). I just dropped my truck off at the dealership again last night. We'll see what happens. Let's stay in touch. I'll let you know if anything noteable happens. Please do the same.