Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Envoy Maintenance and Repairs

Comments

• dogboy5dogboy5 Member Posts: 2
    I have seen others with air suspension problems and don't see any responses. My suspension went out, the compressor works when the button is pushed. However, the bags don't inflate and the auto leveler doesn't kick on. I did see one post suggesting the battery being the problem.

Anyone having the same problems, please let me know what you found out.
  • golittlepersongolittleperson Member Posts: 3
    Your probably in luck, a separate rheostat controls 1-3 and is simple and inexpensive normally to fix.
  • dogboy5dogboy5 Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate the information, however I am not sure what you are talking about. I have an appointment for a diagnostic and would rather spend the money in just fixing it. What area is the rheostat and is there one for each side or just one. Can I do this or have the mechanic? Thanks again for the advice and I look forward to a response.
  • gar2gar2 Member Posts: 5
    The compressor on my Envoy air suspension did exactly the same thing. It seems there is an internal relief that sometimes fails and will cause the compressor to run without filling the airbags. The relief itself can be replaced for under $100 but usually the whole compressor has to be replaced for around $400. If you have any mechanical ability at all you can replace the compressor yourself. It bolts to the frame behind the passenger side rear wheel. There are also three hoses and an electrical plug, but once unbolted, you can see clearly how to remove these.

You can check to see if your compressor is building any pressure or not by screwing on the provided air hose (which has a pre-installed gauge on it) underneath the panel on the passenger side in the cargo area in the rear of the Envoy. Then turn on the compressor with the local swithch next to the hose connection. If the gauge builds pressure, you must have a loose connection to your airbags or a ruptured airbag. If it does not, you probably need a new compressor. Word of warning: if you find a used compressor on line in a junk yard (yes, there a few out there!) make sure that they are shipping you an AIR compressor not an AC compressor.

Good Luck!
  • tarchertarcher Member Posts: 6
    Hello... I need your help .. Can anyone tell me how hard it is to replace or repair the cornering light assembly on the driver side of the 2006 Envoy? I had just purchased the vehicle less then 48 hours ago and while backing out of the garage the I hit the door frame... anyway it broke a few pieces that held the light fixture in place. Is there an easy fix or is this going to be an expense repair? I lights is still working and the lens is not damaged it's just the parts that held it in place that broke.

Any help on this would be appreciated. You just don't know how I feel about this .. Really Stupid on my part. needless to say my wife isn't that happy with me right now. !!

Thanks for your help ! :cry:
  • ms512kgms512kg Member Posts: 1
    I have and 04 envoy xuv and I've now replaced the front axle acuator twice and the fuel actuator, my 4 wheel drive has never worked! We've had it to the service center about a dozen times for random things. My husbands 99" grand prix runs better and has twice the miles on it.
  • rcpd57rcpd57 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Envoy Denali XL 4x4. For about the last year when started the radio has no volume at all but the displays on it appear that the radio is working fine. I would turn the radio off and back on and it would work normally. Also at about the same time I developed problems with the climate control system acting like it has a mind of its own but is not in the auto setting. The fan would pick up or drop speed like its in the auto setting but is not. Also it would turn the A/C on by itself especially if I had the interior temp set a slightly lower temp than what is outside. Such as the temp inside set at 68 and it 72 outside and would turn the A/C on by itself. It acts as if the auto setting is on but is not. I had it into the dealer and they advised they could not reproduce the issues long enough to track the problem down. Winter came and the problems became much worse. The radio problem became more frequent and the climate control problems became much worse.

The climate control would get stuck with the vent, heater and defrost all on which there is no setting to have all three on at the same time. The problem became so severe that the dealer finally decided to replace the radio and the "climate control head". When I picked it up from having the new parts put in the new radio didnt even make it long enough for me to get it into drive. The new radio went out completely within 10 seconds after the envoy was started. I brought it back in immediately and they ordered another radio.

While I was waiting for the radio the temps dropped below zero and the climate control system went out again and I had no heat while the temps were below zero but the display showed no problems. When it warmed up the system worked fine without any problems. While driving to the dealer to get the second radio I was watching the climate control display which showed the outside temp was 39. It suddenly blinked and came back on and showed the A/C was now on. Ive been told that the system will not allow the A/C to be turned on when its below 40 degrees outside. I dont know how but the envoy turns the a/c on by itself and at temps it not suppose to do. I left it alone and drove to the dealer for them to see. At the dealer the tech could not get the a/c to turn off. At least on the display it is showing it was on but we did not hear the a/c compressor kicking on :lemon: :cry: . They went ahead and replaced the radio again and then went to check the climate control system but the problem was now gone and couldnt explain what was happening. Well at least this time the repair waited for me to get the envoy into drive. Before I could leave their lot the climate control once again turned the a/c on by itself and me and the service tech could not get it to turn off. After 10 minutes we finally got it to and they said they would order another climate control head for it.

Now the radio is acting up again since the temps have dropped again.....

I have a hard time believing that I could get two bad replacement radios in a row and a bad climate control head all at once. One mechanic I spoke to said its either a short in the wiring causing the issues or its a bad body control module. He feels that both issues are related since they go together when the temps drop. Im concerned about even parking this envoy close to my garage in case it goes up due to short if its that.

Anyone hear of issues like this or have an idea of what is doing this?
  • maxx13maxx13 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 2006. JUST RECENTLY DISCOVERED I HAVE NO HVAC. NO FAN, NO DEFROST, NO AIR, NO HEAT. I ASSUMED IT WAS A FUSE...NOPE. A "FRIEND" SAID IT WAS THE BLOWER MODULE. UNDER HOOD? UNDER REAR SEAT? ANY ADVICE?

THANKS
  • afforteafforte Member Posts: 5
    On my 2002 XL , the key is stuck in the ignition and the ingition will not start the engine (seems to be a security system issue) nor will it turn backward to the auxiliary/accessory position to come out. Is this a faulty ignition problem or security system disabling the starter and preventing the key from being removed. How is it corrected? Are there any recalls or alerts on this issue? Is it common? How much does it cost be repaired? Thanks, AFF
  • ecolganecolgan Member Posts: 3
    most likely your radiator fan is stuck on, that fixed mine.
  • 91ump91ump Member Posts: 1
    i have a 05 envoy. the check engine light came on and i got it checked out. it is the camshaft position sensor. i was wondering if anyone knows where this is located and if anyone has done this replacement?
  • joni0381joni0381 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2005 XLT Envoy 2 months ago today. The 1st month the dealership had it 3 out of 4 weeks trying to fix the problems I was having. 1st it was the cluster for the speedometer went out. Twice actually. But that wasn't the main concern. While driving down the road the 4-wheel drive switch will show the vehicle shifting into 4-all wheel from 2HI, and then back to 2HI. You can also feel the vehicle jerk as it is switching over. But, the service department can not seem to find the problem. They have ran the diagnostic test on it several times. I have even tried a different dealership hoping that they could figure out the problem. No one wants to start dumping money into the vehicle to fix the problem since it is still under warranty with the dealership. Has anyone had anything like this happen with theirs???? :cry:
  • kingpin814kingpin814 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2002 Envoy XLT. Would be very interested to find out if you have solved the problem. Nobody can figure this out either. Get back to me if you can.
  • prostocknovaprostocknova Member Posts: 5
    Yes i had this same issue my check engine light came on for my 04 GMC Envoy and it was throwing codes for the cam and crank sensor ,i just cleaned them and they worked fine, you can also purchase them at Oreilly Auto parts(Or some other select Parts Houses) they can get them at a great price ,way better than the Dealership. The camshaft Position sensor (CMP) Is located on the front of head, directly above the belt. Small bolt holds it in, and it is a round sensor.Also the camshaft position sensor code may have set because of the low oil pressure to the variable timing system from low oil in the motor. i would start by first clearing all the codes from the system and see if the light comes back on. if the light does come back on, before replacing the cam sensor you will need to follow a diagnostic repair procedure for the code you get. just because the code says cam sensor does not mean that replacing the sensor will fix the problem. you may have electrical or mechanical problem that is causing the ECM to think there is a problem with the cam sensor. Hope This Helps

Alisha :)
  • tman70043tman70043 Member Posts: 3
    The tailgate window came out of the clamps that hold it to the tailgate window regulator. We opened the rear glass from the control panel and the regulator went down but glass stayed up. I slid the glass down and could tell it wasnt clamped in. After manually sliding the glass down I felt it hit the regulator clamps. I then attemped to raise the rear window from control panel and it didnt make a sound or budge. The dash display said "Rear Wiper Obstruction". I've already opened the tailgate and put the glass back into the clamps that hold it in place. That didnt solve issue. Moved the wiper arm around a lil to possibly activate the sensor, that didnt work. I've tried turning on the wiper but it complains that the "Rear Window is Open". The roof will open, since the window is stuck open. I've looked for a new reaar gate module(the computer card that is in the black box screwed into the plate on tailgate) but cant find it anywhere. Can someone tell me if there is a trick to getting this to work? Replace the window regulator? Replace the rear gate module? Replace Wiper? I cant seem to find the "sensors" to see if I could just replace that.
  • jul6364jul6364 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Envoy that occasionally while driving it, the air bag, seatbelt, service 4 wheel drive, all the possible warning lights, flash on and off. The gauges also bottom out, the battery, fuel, oil etc. But then the gauges go back to normal. However the warning lights still flash on and off. I took it to 2 dealers who diagnosed the problem to be the ignition switch and they replaced it. However, after picking it up from the dealer today, the Envoy seems to be still flashing the warning lights on and off again. Could this be a wiring problem under the dash? Our Envoy has only 41,000 miles on it and I don't understand what could be going on. Can anyone help or has something like this happened to you?
  • hubcap31hubcap31 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 2004. I CHANGED THE BATTERY NOW I HAVE NO HVAC. NO FAN, NO DEFROST, NO AIR, NO HEAT. I ASSUMED IT WAS A FUSE...NOPE.
  • jilssk9sjilssk9s Member Posts: 2
    Jlm, I've been having the exact same problem as you (rear window not working with the clear obstruction message on dash). Did you ever have the problem fixed or solved? ThanksJill
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Is it possible the battery was connected with reversed polarity?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I havent. I've taped it closed from the inside. The motor and brackets are stuck in the open position. So, I've had to slide the glass out of the clamps and with my hands lift it high enough to tape it. I'm just gonna go ahead and get a new rear gate window motor and install it myself. If you find something please email me at [email protected], if I come across something, I'll let you know. You are the first person to respond. I just hate to buy a new motor and that doesnt fix it. I'm wondering if there is some sensor on the wiper motor, or somewhere else on the rear gate that causes this. This is why I've hesitated in buying a new motor.
  • gene37gene37 Member Posts: 11
    I recently bought a 05 XUV with 50K. on it. Only problem found so far is that, although the radio (Bose UC6) plays on the FM band, there are no radio LED lights and the CD is locked, and nothing else works on the radio. The battery had been changed just before I got the car. Looking over the Envoy Forum, I am appalled at the number of "electrical" problems reported, especially after installing a new battery. My dealer says my radio "cannot be reprogrammed, but must be replaced". Why does a dead battery kill so many electrical functions??? I find it hard to believe that there is not a solution to this other than having to replace a bunch of components just because the battery is changed. Anyone with a good treatise on this?????

[email protected]
    Did you ever get these problems with your Envoy resolved???? I am appalled at the number of problems reported with electrical systems on these cars. I have had a 2005 XUV for a short while, and find that "changing the battery" or re-charging a low battery generally results in "something" going haywire. For ex. after partially re-charging a low battery, my radio would play, but NO DISPLAY lights for clock or radio. After fully re-charging with high amp charger, the lights came back on, but somehow the antenna is no longer connected to the radio - poor reception. Just too many weird problems from all those relays and sensors and goofy grounding.

Gene37
  • hubcap31hubcap31 Member Posts: 2
    yes i had to replace the complete climate control unit $700 through the dealer or you can go to e-bay and get a used one for $60 and install your self
  • jilssk9sjilssk9s Member Posts: 2
    No, I haven,t had my rear window fixed yet. I guess I will have to send it to a dealership and have it checked. The window hasn't worked for about 4 months now. I've changed the module which made it worse since the roof doen't work too.
  • lemon1966lemon1966 Member Posts: 1
    On March10,2009 I woke up in a sad mood. Because on ths day my Husband of 15 years was on his way to AFGANASTAIN.His plane had been bumped 3 times before we got a definite confirmation that he was to leave in 8 hours. we get over to his unit and they started loading all of the equipment on the bus. After that, we got to spend a little time to say our goodbyes . This was not a pleasent scene. They finally got the call to load up on the bus and proceed to the plane which was going to carry them away for 6-8 months.

We said our last goodbyes at our 2004 Envoy, i gave my husband another kiss and proceeded to crank up this wonderful truck, NOTHING HAPPEND!!! Everyone stood there in disbelief. The battery was dead!!! To make matters worse, there was no way that he was not going to be able to stay with me to fix this problem. He got on the bus and went to the airport. I dont know or want to know the sinking and disturb feeling he had when he HAD to leave me and my 2 children at his unit in the dark until the tow truck came. The next day i replaced the Battery, I did not know that by replacing the battery I was entering the"DEVILS THROAT". I have been in hell every :confuse: since. The HVAC is in Menopause. The a/c ,heat, and defrost are going crazy. Nothing was wrong with my SUV until I replaced the battery . What is this??
    Please help me?? :confuse:
    No Ma'am, wish I could help you. I resolved "part" of my problems with the radio by re-charging the battery to "full", making sure that I was re-charging directly to the battery, not to any of the fuse box terminals. Everything then began to work EXCEPT THAT THE RADIO ANTENNA SEEMS TO BE DISCONNECTED. Am still working on that problem. Considering the number of reported problems people are having with several of those GMC models of the last few years, I am convinced that they went overboard designing new sensors and relays into the system to try to up the efficiency, and goofed up with respect as to preventing polarization problems with the relays. Even the dealers do not know what to do (except sell you another car). Will let you know if I get any clearer solution. Hope your husband is safe and stays safe. CEC
  • logan14logan14 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Envoy. The HVAC blows hot air on the driver side regardless of the temperature setting or the outside temperature. The passenger side appears to work fine. I can cool or heat the passenger side as needed. The external temperature appears to be reading correctly. Anyone have any suggestions on the possible cause?
  • kenc7kenc7 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with my 04 GMC XUV. The dealer siad I needed a
    dashboard 'cluster'. I got the part number from GM and it was $400+ dollars.

Went to 1 dealer and they wanted 600 to fix. Went to a different dealer and it was $500. I figured it was gonna cost about 100 to fix so I went aheand and bit the bullet.
    My 2005 XUV radio would "sort of" play, but no display or no clock. The dealer said he could NOT REPROGRAM it, but it would cost $800 for a new one. I took it home, recharged the battery to FULL, attached a new antenna in place of the one someone had stolen --- and now the radio/clock/display/XM works perfectly. Can't say as much for the dealer.
  • ljhayesljhayes Member Posts: 4
    Well, i have tried this and it works from time to time. Use your key and roll your back window down. Open the gate as a tailgate and try to manually unlock the top latch. You have to pull the plastic panel off, and reach in and theres a metallic manual release near the latch. You are getting the connection, but your latch may be stuck. I am currently working on the project myself. However, mine is the bottom latch used for tailgate operation. It won't lock and unlock, it gets the signal but i believe the latch is jammed or quit functioning. If this helps.
  • ljhayesljhayes Member Posts: 4
    This is a very easy repair if you have the time. All you do is take the plastic panel off, then use a 10mm socket and remove the 9 bolts on the black piece. You also have to remove the regulator (3 screws). Then with your window up, there are 4 bolts i think between 7/16, 1/2, or 9/16 that hold your back panel in. Remove those and any obstructions, and it pops right off. Then there are clips that hold the switches in place. With pliars just squeeze and push. Replace switches and use nut and bolt configuration or get the clips. There are also screws to remove if you dont desire to use the pliars method.
  • courtmayscourtmays Member Posts: 6
    My husbands envoy is having an issue when I go to fill up the gas tank and put gas in it, i get back in the truck to start it and it won't start it just cranks i have to pump the gas peddle to start it. The speedometer isnt working anymore. Also when i finish driving it and park it as soon as i turn it off and pull key out the truck is still running, idles hard then finally shuts off. pleaSE help me out what could be wrong and how much is it going to cost me?
    Ma'am: Your Envoy (and mine) have over 20 different microswitch modules in them, many in the ignition system. Perhaps someone more familiar with them than I can pinpoint your problem, but I am thinking you are going to have to resort to the dealer for a diagnostics check. I am afraid it might be expensive, unless they are lucky in tracing it quickly. One thing you might try before taking it to the dealer is --- put a battery charger on it (be sure to connect to the battery-not the fuse panel, and DO NOT disconnect the battery) and charge it all the way to FULL. Sometimes that will correct any 'reversed polarity that may have occurred. That worked to repair my radio. My 2005 XUV is now working great.
    Gene C.
  • courtmayscourtmays Member Posts: 6
    thanks. but i just put a new battery in it. so it is fully charged. one guy said it might be a sensor another guy said it might be a valve that opens up in the tank to release fuel to the engine. he said it might be stuck and wouldn't be a problem to fix except for the fact they would have to drop the fuel tank.
  • wkas10wkas10 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like post #80 - but backwards--> I get hot air on drivers side and only cold on pass side when set to heat-I have the fancy dual electroniic climate controlThe
    AC works fine on both sides (cold)- Any ideas for starters-Is this my climate control box?
  • pocketpocket Member Posts: 29
    Ok, here goes. I have a 2004 Envoy XUV, and have replaced the swing gate latches on the left side about 6 times in the last year. The first set I purchased, and GM has replaced the other 5 under their parts warranty, which by the way is 1 year or 12000 miles whichever comes first. And the warranty if from the original date of purchase, and not on the subsequent parts that are replaced. Any way the latches have failed again. Anyone have any suggestions on this. Also, I replaced the battery in the vehicle, and now the Onstar has quit working, the vehicle says, "Phone unavailable". And it does it when the ignition switch is turned on, the hood or any door is opened, and it wont quit. Any suggestions on this also? I am a pretty good mechanic, and can handle most things, but this is driving me nuts.
    I have a 2005 XUV. So far, no gate latch problem; so cannot help you there. Did the Onstar problem happen as soon as you replaced battery? Disconnecting or replacing batteries in those vehicles seems to be plagued with problems. You likely reversed the polarity of one of the 30 or so electronic modules. When I disconnected the battery in the 2005, the radio quit. The Dealer said he could not reprogram it, and I would have to buy a new radio at $800. Instead, I took it home, disconnected the battery again, charged it to "Full" after re-connecting, and the radio came on. Make sure you charge on the battery positive pole and the main engine ground, NOT the fuse box poles. Might or might not help. My dim lights (not damn lights) just went out this week. May be one of those modules or just a switch - no time to check yet.
  • gm59gm59 Member Posts: 1
    The same thing just happened to my 2004 envoy. Please let me know if you have resolved your issue. Thank You
    I still havent fixed mine. Did you? If so can you tell me the fix, or how much it costs, what was wrong and had to be replaced.....THANKS!
    Thanks for the advise, will try that and see what happens, will let you know. Also I now have a problem with the oil pressure gauge. It seems like it has a mind of its own. Sometimes it acts normally, and other times it reads anywhere from 40 to 80 psi. I think it is the ISP module, and someone in here said that they bought one from Ebay, and was fairly easy to install. If you can, please let me know the area of ebay that you found this. Any help would be appreciated.
    Ouch! Varying oil pressure could be a lot of things (low oil level, bad pump, bad oil filter, clogged line, bad ring(s), manifold leak into oil pan, module, gauge, etc.) Hate to mention it, but you may have to throw in the towel and visit your dealer on that one. On Ebay, best bet is to go to Ebay site map (or Google), and 'search' for item, bypassing the category. Use as few words as possible such as (Envoy module, Envoy ISP, Envoy oil pressure, etc.) + 'Search'. Good Luck.

MY RECENT PROBLEMS: DIM LIGHTS QUIT. FOUND FUSE MISSING (ONE NOT IN EITHER FUSE BOXES, BUT ON THE LIGHT MODULE). THE "MISSING" BIT IS STILL A MYSTERY.
    I have had the oil changed, plus the filter, all the lines check clear, I ran a compression test on all cyls. and they check fine. Ran a pressure test with a mechanical gauge, pressure checks ok, also ran vacuum test on manifold, no leaks found there. The only thing I have not done is to replace the sending unit. I guess that is next, as a new gauge is only available through the dealership. I searched Ebay for an ISP module, none were found anywhere. Spent over an hour searching the site for any Envoy parts. Will continue searching. Thanks for the input.
  • rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    Just checking to see owners' experiences on this. The old adage used to be "Replace the belt at 60K miles or pay a lot to replace the water pump too". Is this still true today?

My wife took in the truck to the local "Precision Tune" place and they wanted to replace the belt immediately (for $$$) of course.

Later I visually inspected the belt (not exhaustively, just the part I could quickly see when I popped the hood) and it looked in fine condition.

Is it a good idea to change it anyway?
    Also any idea what a 60K service should cost? Other than oil changes every 4-6,000 miles, and an air filter replacement the truck has not been serviced much. It is still driving very well. I suspect a lot of the brake/transmission/differential fluids are ready to be replaced.

2002 GMC Envoy XL 63,000 miles
  • mcmjcmcmjc Member Posts: 1
    This is my 2nd winter with my 2005 Envoy. One problem that is back this year is temperature related. When the temp is below about 32 degrees, my BOSE CD changer will start to play fine. After anywhere from 2 - 10 minutes, it stops and shows INITIALIZING on the display. It re-reads the cd and begins at the beginning of it. This may happen 2 or 3 times before it finally plays the whole thing. (Very frustrating when listening to an audio book.) Any suggestions as to cause and/or cure?
  • jla3tankerjla3tanker Member Posts: 1
    were you able to resolve your issue with rear window and wiper?
    Please advise
  • dcrews1dcrews1 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 envoy with the same problem. Did you ever get an answer to this climate control problem.
  • kjcripekjcripe Member Posts: 2
    If you got an answer to this question could you please shoot me an e-mail? Having the same issues right now. Car has been in the shop for a week and they still have no answers. [email protected].
  • dcrews1dcrews1 Member Posts: 2
    In an attempt to do it myself I purchased a climate contol console for my Envoy but that didn't fix my problem. It was a used part so I may have received a defective part (although the message on ebay said it had bench check good). I am almost ready to take it to the shop.
  • surrender2jdsurrender2jd Member Posts: 1
    :sick: As I haven't picked up a maintenance book for my GMC Envoy as of yet is there anyone out there that can tell me where I need to look to find the fuel cleaner so I can replace it with a newly purchased one as I seem to be bogging down and I figured I'd start with the fuel cleaner as it is a relatively inexpensive part. Thanks in advance
  • lightening1lightening1 Member Posts: 1
    I love my 2006 Envoy Denali, had to have it....its in ths shop getiing a new ignition switch...58000 miles. Had to drive my daughter's Honda Accord with 210,000 miles to work. I've replaced the fuel gage sensor already. Honda Accord's never spent a day in a shop...