Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Envoy Maintenance and Repairs

Comments

• kjensen1kjensen1 Member Posts: 2
    Were you able to fix this? I am also having the same issue on my Envoy XUV 2004. The window just stopped half way down and I got the error "Rear Wiper Obstruction". Is there a sensor that needs to be replaced?
  • gene37gene37 Member Posts: 11
    I just experienced the same thing on my 2005 Envoy XUV. (the rear window would not go up after unloading). It was my mistake; the rear tailgate was not fully closed, so the window would not go up. Check to see if it closes fully and/or check the close/open switch to see that it is not sticking.
  • kjensen1kjensen1 Member Posts: 2
    I figured out why I was getting the error message "Rear Wiper Obstruction". First of all there are no sensors that produce this message so there are no sensors to clean etc. There are no fuses, relays that you can pull that will stop the message either.

The message actually originates from your wiper motor and is a circuit inside the motor. There is a plug with about four wires that go into the back wiper motor. You have one of two things that are wrong either 1) The wiper motor is burned out 2) or one of the wires is damaged from the back window going up and down. One of my wires were damaged (the black one). I repaired it and sealed the wires with electric tape. Fixed!
  • stoneman5stoneman5 Member Posts: 1
    Tachometer going up and down while driving . Could it be transmision or speed sensor?
  • sparkybert97sparkybert97 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    hey,, while driving down the highway the other day, after about an hour the radio quit playing sound and the service air bag light came on. the radio lights up and looks like its working but no sound, after a couple of days after this happened, now the door locks, windows, rear wiper wont work. spent 100 buck to have the dealer diagnose it and they had no idea without swapping out stuff. was also told to replace the control module. anyone know where the communication control module is located? or ecm? thanks 2005 gmc envoy xl
  • pepito51pepito51 Member Posts: 16
    I asked this question in the triplet forum. I didn't notice there was a specific category for maintenance items here in the Envoy forum, so I'll ask it here, too. 2002 Envoy; 90,000 miles; 8.5 years old.. Just curious how long belts and hoses should normally last.. I don't know of any problem, and I presume the dealer probably looks at them at oil changes (hopefully). Should any of these be changed just due to age/mileage?
  • wuchterwuchter Member Posts: 1
    Hi there. I have a really baffling scenario going on. I have a 2006 Envoy that I love. It hasn't given me too much trouble the last 3 years I have had it but recently it started to sputter and lose trouble. I took it to dealer ( apparantly they are the only ones that can work on these problems;.. go figure) and they put 2 sensors in. 303$ later it started doing it again.. except worse. I took it in and barely made it there. My husband followed me and said it was like i flooded it he could smell gas the whole way. i was terrified to drive it but I made it. The service guy took it in and found 2 codes... neither cheap.. SURPRISE! and hooked it to another machine to figure which one of the 2 it was. Well. here comes the problem.. It started acting fine. No problem. they had cleared the codes to replicate and there are no codes. 2 days later I still do not have it. i am afraid to drive it cause it will not fix itself and I drive a busy highway to work.. what if it happens again.. Has this happened to anyone else??I cant leave my truck there forever and am afraid to drive it.. please help if you can
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    wuchter,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to get this case set up I will need the VIN, current mileage, full name, address and best contact number for our records sent to me in an email. Also, what GM dealership are you currently working with?

Thank you and have a great weekend!
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • john2sentjohn2sent Member Posts: 1
    how do you change/inspect the wiper motor with the window fully down?
  • ac238ac238 Member Posts: 1
    The front driver's side door panel on my 2002 Envoy is just barely hanging on. I took it to a body shop and they replaced all the little clips around the edge of the panel, but there's a larger connector in the middle that was crushed. It was in a square-ish opening between the handle and instrument board (door lock buttons, etc.). I asked them about replacing the door panel, but GM is no longer making them. I've checked with salvage yards across the U.S., and so far none can provide me with a panel with this connector intact. I don't even know what it looks like!

Can anyone give me an idea on how to get this fixed? It won't be long before the panel falls off completely, though I do have a spare now that's missing the same part. The dealers tell me that part breaks on "all" the 2002 Envoys and there's no way to fix it. Thanks for any advice! :confuse:
  • emwednesdayemwednesday Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 Envoy is driving me to drink...the newest problem happened tonight, while driving I cannot turn my wheel to take a hard left or right or the truck will not move i have to put it in reverse to start moving again. My stabili track light comes on and the dealership cannot locate the issue and my drivers window will not work, its not the master switch because all the other windows work, i have replaced the wire harness and it still does not work...the dealership has been NO help what so ever...any ideas? Any helps would be appreciated! thanks!
  • foutzfoutz Member Posts: 1
    Please Help. The compressor wont activate when I turn on my car. My rear suspension is completely flat. Does anybody know a quick fix to this. I am assuming it is a relay or fuse, but I can figure it out. I have dumped enough money into this car. Just need to get it aired up one more time so I can take it down to the dealership and trade it in.
  • floridapatriotfloridapatriot Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 GMC Envoy Denali with a 5.3 engine. I have all the problems that I have read about on this site like the load leveling system going out, engine burning excessive amounts of oil, etc. Now I need to change out my throttle position sensor and I get another light that comes on and I loose power. When I shut it off for a few minutes and re-start it that usually temporarlly fixes the problem and can go about my way. Also, sometimes I will be driving down the road and the headlights will go off by there self and I have to pull over and shut it off and start again. Sometimes that will make them come back on and sometimes it doesn't. Is there anyone on here who have experienced any of these problems and if so did anyone try to get GM to do anything about it or are we just out of pocket to fix this junky truck ourselves?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning,
    If you would like to explore any available options through Customer Service, we can get a Service Request set up for you. Please send us an email with more information (include your name/Edmunds user name, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership) and my coworker Christina will advise you from that point.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • danfirerescuedanfirerescue Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone, in need of some help! I bought a 2006 envoy Denali Xl, we have had issues with the oil consumption and air suspension and a.c..
    So... I changed my oil and noticed my oil was pretty low at around 3,000miles , around 3 quarts low. It's been about 4 oil changes and every time it's been that low. No leaks , no blue smoke, no oil burning smell, no signs of anything , just missing oil. Any ideas? Gmc dealership want to rebuild the engine for a small fee of 2000$.

Next the rear air suspension will deflate once a week when the car is parked for hours. They inflate within seconds of turning on the car and will be fine for days then randomly deflate. Again no leaks found and compressor works great.

Also our rear a.c. Works whenever she wants to. I will turn it on and nothing happens . Then while driving it sometimes turns on and sometimes just remains off.

Other than this we love our problem child! Thanks for any help we can get, extremely frustrated here in the sunshine state
    danfirerescue,

I'm sorry that you're so frustrated, though I understand given the different concerns you described in your post. If we can follow up on your dealership on any of these concerns, please send an email to us at [email protected] with more information (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • phiphiphiphi Member Posts: 1
    My interior bell went off for about 30 seconds today. No light came on. After turning car off for a couple hours, still no light. Driving down from mountains Check Engine light comes on flashing and car feels sluggish and like the idle off. Light went off and then on and then off. Shut the car off for an hour, and started flashing again. Now it is on continuous. No new gas or brand. Gas cap on but doesn't feel sealed. Should I take to dealer or try a new gas cap first? Manual says I could do more damage to emissions/injectors if I continue to drive it. Any thoughts?
    phiphi,

If you do decide to work with a dealership, please let us know as we would like to be available to assist in whatever way we can! Feel free also to get in touch via email ([email protected]) if you have any questions.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • katlinbarberakatlinbarbera Member Posts: 1
    Besides other smaller issues, my car came with a noise that would come from the back seats or somewhere around. Cutting the very long history short (I am pretty sure GM has everything on file - I Do!) none of the GM assistance in Kissimmee or Orlando were able to find the cause of that noise. After many years, time consuming, work hours lost and stressful and frustrating situations, my husband and I gave up trying and just kept the car like this, knowing that anytime we will try to sell it the buyer will complain and we will loose money right there. The funny and irritating part is that we had the GM warranty for the first years, GM was NEVER able to fix the issue that came from the plant with the car, and then I was told that the car was not in the warranty anymore, therefore I could have no assistance without paying!!! I cannot even start to explain the anger and the feeling of betrayal as a customer, and for such an expensive matter. It is not that we bought a pen in a dollar store!!! Time goes by and now I see myself unbeliaveble-ly going through the very same situation, just the car issue changed (by the way, my 9 year old son found out what is the problem, the sound comes from the back panel control for the radio and ac...

The check engine light started going on and off about 1 year ago, and, because it would sometimes be off for weeks, even months, we did not bother until it started being on more often and the fuel sensor stopped working. I took it to Advanced Auto care to do a check and it accused that it was the fuel sensor ( I just wanted to make sure I had the reading from another place other than GM since my prior experience does not allow me to trust GM service). It was when I learned that there is a "light recall" or however GM calls it, for this problem. I called GM, spoke to Mrs. H., and she sent me to Fountain Auto Mall in Orlando (I know well that place, unfortunately). They confirmed the problem was the fuel and they "fixed" the sensor. however, the check engine light keeps going on and off, basically after a little while when I put gas in my car. Mr. R.from GM customer service, at this point was following up with calls etc.. and I spoke to him about the issue. Fountain Auto Mall set up an appointment for me to take the car back (here I go all again) to check. I did so yesterday (April, 6 2012) and - surprisingly (I am being sarcastic) they told me that the engine light on means "low idle" and it is not the same issue w/ the fuel sensor issue therefore there is nothing they can do for me and I should pay (how convenient) $99 just to check why the idle is low.......Kidding? Any 9 year old would know better that low idle comes also from the fuel pump, fuel filter or such and what a coincidence they touch my car and now this..... believing that Gm could redeem itself from previous experience I trusted that Mr. R would assist me by allowing further check on my car, fair enough, to make sure the low idle IS due to the fuel system (which they DID NOT fix, clearly), I contacted him, who, not only was very unhelpful, but sarcastic and anti professional, telling me that my car is not new and I will have problems with the car from now on....This not only underestimate my intelligence as put me more frustrated.....I WILL have problems w/ my car SR.? I ALWAYS had problems w/ my car since I bought it.... I understand that Gm customer service personnel needs to close their "cases" and better if it is as soon as possible to get rid of issues and to have one more case “solved” in their pile, however, my case Sr. is far from being “closed”. It does not even matter the fact that OF COURSE this was the first and last time me and anybody else I know will not buy GM or affiliated cars never more in life, but I am not going to be fooled again by GM. I am going further on this, I want nothing else than my car problems caused by GM's lack of professionalism and knowledge to fix he cars, to be fixed, any other issues I had w/ my car, I took care of, I pa I have the right and proof enough since the beginning, all paperwork, more than 20 times I took my car to service. I want you to know that Gm can pretend to care for its customers by calling, flowering the customer service in talking, following ups etc.. but this is all for your eyes only. Gm does not do anything for customers just pretend it does, and, like every single situation in life one day the curtain falls and the faces come up. I feel disrespected and being forced to pay for a service that, not only is GM’s responsibility, but I would not choose to fix my car should I pay for it. GM authorized service touched my car and either created another problem or did not fix the problem in the corrected way, for the 20th time, and I have to hear from the customer service rep. that my car is going to give me problems…….

I will search for assistance in this matter, this is the minimum I can do to make it right and worth to have bought a car 0miles, brand new and never had the feeling.
    Good morning kaitlinbarbera,

Would you please email your case number, name, and Edmunds username to [email protected]? We'd be happy to check in and see what happened.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jodeljodel Member Posts: 4
    Hi, everyone.

I have a 2006 Denali envoy, and i am having the same problem, with the rear air suspension.. all of a sudden the car got soooo low to the ground. and i thought maybe i got to heavy and the car just went down on its own.. but now i am reading this forum and i see there are a lot of us having the same problem. Have you had any luck with taking to gmc and having the issue fixed. I am very discussed with this vehicle. I have so many problems with this car, it 's not funny. Has this issue been recalled???

somebody please HELP. VERY FRUSTRATED!!!!!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    jodel,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns and experiences. Have you spoke with your GM dealer of choice or GM Customer Assistance? Can you please email me directly at [email protected]? Please include your VIN, current mileage, and the name of your dealer. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • andyb67andyb67 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    My 2003 Envoy has a problem with the engine sputtering when I brake especially when moving at slower speeds. It seems to be worse when I am lower on fuel. There are also times when the engine dies when the car finally comes to a stop. It feels like a braking problem but I know it is something with the engine. The engine also revs as time and won't shift gears which makes me think transmission but its random and not happening all the time. The "check engine" light has been going on and off recently as well. Not sure if all of these issues are related. The car has about 70K miles on it. I have not brought it in for service yet.
  • engelhard2engelhard2 Member Posts: 6
    My rear air suspension sometimes causes my 06 Envoy denali to go low to the ground. I can hear a noise when this happens. There is no heavy loads in the truck. What could be the problem. I only have 43,000 miles.
    I to have the same problem with my 06 Denali, as my rear suspension goes down to the ground, to take into the dealer they want to charge me about $2,000. to fix the problem.. When i spoke with a rep from GM they tell me that there is no recall on this issue. So tell me why are so many of us having a problem with the rear suspension on these models. I think we have to take this problem back to GM. and have them look into it. $2,000. is a lot. considering we had nothing to do with abusing the rear suspension.. and believe me we are not alone with this issue.
    Good morning engelhard2,
    I checked in my general information on the 2006 Envoy and did not see any information that would be helpful in troubleshooting at the moment. Have you ever had your vehicle evaluated at a dealership? If so, we're happy to follow up with them on this diagnosis.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I'm sorry that you also are having this issue with the rear suspension. If you would like for us to check into this further, please send more information to [email protected] (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    No. I am almost afraid to take it to the dealership, after reading some of these postings. It doesn't happen all the time. I was wondering if its safe to put it on the road. According to the manual when the vehicle sets up for some time, the rear end will go down but this is happening sometimes during the day after being parked for a short time.

Why is so many of us having the same problem. I only have 43K miles.
    You are absolutely correct. Why should we have to shell out that much money for a repair. It seems like GMC would admit that there are a lot of flaws in the 06 Denali.

My concern is if I put it on the road, will it come back up if the vehicle is loaded down.
    I understand your hesitancy. If you do decide on working with your dealer, or if you would like for us to look into anything, please contact us via email at [email protected] (include a summary of the situation and the last 8 digits of your VIN).

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I do have my 2006 Denali on the road, and the rear suspension, goes up sometimes, then lowers itself. even if the vehicle is loaded down it will still come back up, but I find that the ride is very rough. And I agree there is definetly something wrong with this model... It is pretty hard for me to believe that the rear air suspension on this vehicle could break down from simple wear and tear.
  • lstockertlstockert Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 2006 Denali, that is at the dealership right now getting repaired for the rear suspension air leaks. The dealer says it's the airbags that are leaking (which is the immediate response I have received from other shops) so it sounds like this is definitely a defect. The dealer says there is no recall on this problem. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the airbags leaking, is this a safety issue if the vehicle were to get into an accident? If it's such a common problem, how can we find out how many denali's have had this issue? I've seen another denali in town just like mine, rear end dropped to the ground. Very disappointed in this high end vehicle. BTW- the repair is going to cost over $600.
    We hope that everything went well with your dealership and the repair on your Denali's suspension. If we can look into anything further for you, please send us more details at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and the name of your dealership).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
    I see you have the same problem with your DENALI, you mentioned that your vehicle is at the dealer right now.. Doesn't the dealership think that it is odd to have an issue with the rear suspension, i am sure that you were not the only customer to come in with this problem.. GM why aren't you taking resposibility for this problem!!!!!!!! There are serveral people having the same problem.... HOW CAN THE CONSUMER GET YOU TO REALIZE THAT THERE SHOULD BE A RECALL ON THIS PROBLEM, BEFORE SOMEONE GETS INJURED BECAUSE OF THIS PROBLEM!!!!!!! I need to bring my 2006 to the dealership too.....

very dissappointed
  • dkreneckidkrenecki Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2012
    I bought a 2006 Envoy Denali on 8/10/12 and it broke down on Monday 8/13/12. The car alams and sensors went off and the stabilitrak turned off. I could only go 30 mph and could not accelerate. I took it to the dealer still running but they didnt diagnose it and the next day they realized the code did not save. They say now they can not recreate the issue...Very nervous about the car I just bought. And they notced the air bags for the compressor were leaking. They are fixing that...HELP
    Good evening dkrenecki,
    We're sorry to hear about the alarm, sensor, and stabilitrak issue you had with your new-to-you Envoy. We understand that you visited your dealership on this already; if you would like for us to check into this further or if this issue happens again, please send us an email at [email protected] with the following information so we can set up a Service Request: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.
  • dkreneckidkrenecki Member Posts: 2
    The dealer replaced the throttle body assembly and the rear air springs. Lets hope this is all...If it happens again, I will email you!
  • carsinvtcarsinvt Member Posts: 6
    A faulty camshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor might give that symptom.
    A faulty camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor often will give those symptoms.
    6 years and still no answers
    Thank you for the update! I hope that everything has been resolved for you and wish you many happy miles ahead!
  • krez123krez123 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem what was the solution?
  • laquerdalaquerda Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    :mad: engine in the morning start, sputters like its last puff however, when the engine heats up, sputtering goes away and engine works great. this happens on every engine start...
    Good morning laquerda,

If you would like for us to check into any warranty or recall information, please send the last 8 digits of your VIN to [email protected]

• xuvownerxuvowner Member Posts: 1
    I know that your question is a year old, but I will respond because I have solved it, and I want others with the same problem to see the answer. To bypass the rear wiper motor completely, and bypass the rear wiper obstruction, you must wire Rear Window Motor Park Signal wire and the Rear Window Motor Speed Signal wire together

I made and album to show.

http://imgur.com/a/q3vww
  • cindyk2cindyk2 Member Posts: 2
    I am also having problem with my 2006 Envoy Denali rear suspension. It goes down and was going back up when I start it up except a couple days ago. It would not go back up. I waited a day and now it is but this is ridiculous so many of us are having the same problem. I also had to have my gas gauge replaced because it quit working. Luckily GM paid half the cost. I am also going through oil without any spots in the driveway. Why can't there be recalls with so many of us having the same problems?
    Hello cindyk2,

We're sorry to hear that you're also having difficulties with your suspension and oil usage on your Envoy. If you decide to have either of these looked into by your dealership, please keep us updated on your progress there as we're available to look into anything further. We can be reached at [email protected]

• tndrivertndriver Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my Envoy SUV XUV brand new in 2005. I have had almost each car issue or failure described in this forum. I am extremely concerned now that I will eventually experience them all.
    It is so frustrating to stumble onto this information after years spent at my local dealership and the employees in the service department acting as if I am the ONLY one who has ever encountered whatever problem I am there for. This vehicle had cloth interior. we had the dealership recover the seats with leather. I just read online that this will cause the passenger airbag to become defective. I was never notified. Great.....my front seat passenger is not safe. This vehicle has always used too much oil and the dealership has always tried to charge us for the "extra" quart they have to put in when they do an oil change on my car. My husband fought them on this on a few occasions. Now to find out that oil usage is a known issue. Geeshe. The gas gauge failed. We had dealer replace it. I believe they did pay half the cost. At least one hub cap would pop off after having my tires rotated. We have had to replace them several times. The service engine light has come on repeatedly. The rear wiper died. The drive train "jumps" once in awhile. Now I am experiencing rough driving and I believe it to be the steering. The car has locked up and died when turning the steering to hard to the left. The tailgate broke. These are all the issues just off the top of my head. This car has always been serviced and oil changes, tire rotations etc. done regularly. It is a shame that GMC will not own up to its problems. I have paid out for all these repairs when really and truly they are manufacturers defects. Shame on you GMC. America does not take pride in its workmanship anymore. If there are any class action lawsuits out there please inform me. So grateful I came across this forum. Thank you to each of you who took the time to share.
    Good morning tndriver,

We can see that you've had many difficulties with your Envoy and that you have some continued concerns as well. If you would like for us to check into things further with you and your dealership, please send us an email at [email protected] with further details (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• rosedrosed Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 2007 Envoy Denali. I really do like it even though I had the same problem a year ago with the rear air pressure and GM dealer made me pay $300.

Now the problem is the stabilitrak light comes on says it's off; all the lilghts on dash goes haywire, engine starts sputtering and shuts down. THIS IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS! Scared the ...... out of me in the middle of traffic and I was so afraid someone was going to run into me even though I had my emergency flashers on! It has done this about three time in the past month.

Please tell me is it true that because I had a tire replaced with a brand new tire with more tread than the other three tires? this is what GM Service center is telling me. It appears there are many others who have had this same problem, but they mention nothing about replacing a tire. Is this a recurring problem with this vehicle.

Not Happy Right Now!!!