Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tucson Maintenance and Repair

tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
edited September 2014 in Hyundai
Got problems? Got solutions? Discuss them here!

Comments

• jappijappi Member Posts: 2
    Just got my 2WD 2006 GLS. I love it but have a question. The owner's manual says there is a button for the traction control, but I don't see one anywhere. The salesperson told me that when I was I trying to pull out of snow, I should turn off the ESC.
    Does anyone know where the TCS button is?

Thanks,
  • guyfrguyfr Member Posts: 55
    The ESC button is on the left. I spent a whole winter in Quebec with a 2WD 2005 Tucson and never turned it off. It enhance traction by braking a spnning wheel, transferring power to the wheel with some traction.

I would never turn it off to pull out of a snow bank....
  • kmorsekmorse Member Posts: 1
    My daughter has a new 2006 (I believe)6cyl. Tucson and has had it less than a year and the #5 cylinder is not functioning. She took it in to be repaired and the dealership is not repairing it without her paying for it saying that "bad gas" was the cause. How can this be? If bad gas WAS the cause- which I don't believe it was-how can that affect only one cylinder and not all 6 of them? And the dealership can't give her any proof that it was bad gas that caused this problem. They tell her that WE can have the gas tested--$300 out of OUR pocket--but that they will not uphold the warranty on the vehicle. How should we handle this situation? Right now the charges for a new cylinder is $800. Do we have any recourse here on this warranty fiasco? Thanks for anyone's advice here.
  • vegito1971vegito1971 Member Posts: 24
    Call Hyundai Customer Service at 1-800-633-5151. This is just a blatant case of a dealership trying to hassle you. I would certainly report this to Hyundai and express my extreme dissatisfaction in the matter. How can they possibly determine that it is "bad gas" without any proof from tests?

Good luck and best wishes. Let us know how you fare.
  • bullseye98bullseye98 Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys,

I just bought my '06 Tucson in August. It's been great so far. My only complaint is the stereo, which goes to a deep, bone-shaking hum/static when I pass under a bridge, under a gas station canopy, or at a car wash, particularly so when I'm listening to an AM station.

I pointed it out to the service department when I went in for a check engine light and was told that this is normal and that all cars do this. This is my sixth car now and the first to ever have this particular problem, so I'm not sure what I should do about it.

Is this typical of Hyundai? Am I getting the run-around? Is there a fix?

Thanks.
  • daveozdaveoz Member Posts: 1
    Hi Guys, wonder if you can help.
    One of the prongs of my cup holder got pushed inside the centre floor console / armrest on my Tucson. I tried to remove the console and found 8 screws but still couldn't get the console out. I think I need to remove the power outlet at the back somehow.. any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers.
  • thunderbirdthunderbird Member Posts: 26
    I have noticed comments on the tucson and santa fe's about what seems to be transmission dragging. I felt that same thing a year ago on the new 06 tucson which I didn't buy. It seems to me that this will lower your gas mileage. Is this common on all of them I wonder and why?
  • coachmooncoachmoon Member Posts: 1
    My GLS Tucson is 18 months old. A few weeks after I bought it, I noticed that drag. The dealer said they could not find anything. It was like I had a manual trans and when I took my foot off the gas it stated to slow quicker than you would think. All other cars I drove in my lifetime seemed to just glide normally when you do that. It was like trying to down shift thru the gears. Anyway, I just got use to it. A few weeks ago I started to notice a vibration at times. Almost like when it needed to change up to the next gear. More noticeable around 40 to 45 MPH. Took it in this morning, they just called back and told me I needed a new trans. I just knew something was not right whit it.
  • airflyteairflyte Member Posts: 9
    After my Tucson sits for two days, the battery goes dead. I took it to a Hyundai dealer and they showed me the Technical Service Bulletin for the Sonata, Tucson and Azera. The Bulletin number is 06-90-015, dated March 2006. The Bulletin states, "If the vehicle has to be stored for a long time, the power connector should be disconnected to prevent battery drain." I told the service manager that the car had only sat for two days, not for a long time. Their remedy was to pull the power connector (short connector) which is a 30amp fuse, located in the relay box passenger compartment. I would like to know if anyone else has this problem?
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    On another board I frequent, one Tucson owner had the same type problem you are describing. In his case the problem turned out to be a problem with the factory radio. Maybe your dealer should check that out. At the very least they should be able to determine what devices/accessories are still drawing current when the vehicle is off.
    Thanks for the info, I'll remove the fuse from the radio and see if that solves my problem!!
    Then see the dealer again.
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Just had my rear brake pads replaced at 15,000 miles on a manual fwd 4 cyl my daughter uses. Front pads are fine and the dealer had no explanation on why the rear pads would wear so early.

My 2004 Volvo XC90 at 4400 pounds and with my faster driving style is still on the original pads at 45,000 miles!

Its the second Hyundai in my fleet and I can tell that they are cheap to buy but expensive to keep on the road....More so than the Volvo's. (I've got a 2004 S60 too)
  • dirtygirldirtygirl Member Posts: 2
    The other day the TPMS sensor came on in the car. I took it in to a shop where they said it the tire pressure has to be within so many pounds of pressure from eachother. I drove it when they were done and it was fine. It just came on again. None of the tires look low. Does the cold weather effect the sensor? Thanks for any help.
  • tuscon06tuscon06 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. I bought my vehicle in April and have been to my dealer twice of the 4 times this has happened. All they do is replace the battery. They aren't dealing with the problem. I have sent a letter to the Manufacturer and my dealer about this. So thanks for your comments and others. It tells me that there is something electrical that is the problem.
  • dziakdziak Member Posts: 5
    Similar problem. 2006 Tuscon with approximately 10,000 miles and owned for 6 1/2 months. Within the last four weeks we have had the battery go dead three times. After the first time, we took it to the dealer and they said no draw on battery, so they charged it and sent us on our way. A couple weeks later it went dead again so we took it to the dealer and they said it was an intermittent thing that couldn't be traced through a normal check of what was drawing current from the battery, but they said they heard from a rep that there had been some problems with the radios drawing current. But, since it was an intermittent thing they would never know when it was drawing current so they replaced the radio. Three days later the battery went dead again and we took it to the dealer and they said that the battery we had was defective because nothing was draining the battery. So they gave us a new battery that has more "power" saying that this should solve the problem.

Personally, it seems they are not addressing the real problem and buying time with the new battery. Time can be a real factor in the lemon law in the state of Ohio. If this new battery goes defunct 6 months from now, which is how long the other battery lasted, then this fourth trip to the dealership for the same "problem" would be over the one year period described in Ohio's law, should this come to pass, we will let you know. Please keep us posted on any progress you guys have.
    Similar problem. 2006 Tuscon with approximately 10,000 miles and owned for 6 1/2 months. Within the last four weeks we have had the battery go dead three times. After the first time, we took it to the dealer and they said no draw on battery, so they charged it and sent us on our way. A couple weeks later it went dead again so we took it to the dealer and they said it was an intermittent thing that couldn't be traced through a normal check of what was drawing current from the battery, but they said they heard from a rep that there had been some problems with the radios drawing current. But, since it was an intermittent thing they would never know when it was drawing current so they replaced the radio. Three days later the battery went dead again and we took it to the dealer and they said that the battery we had was defective because nothing was draining the battery. So they gave us a new battery that has more "power" saying that this should solve the problem.

Personally, it seems they are not addressing the real problem and buying time with the new battery. Time can be a real factor in the lemon law in the state of Ohio. If this new battery goes defunct 6 months from now, which is how long the other battery lasted, then this fourth trip to the dealership for the same "problem" would be over the one year period described in Ohio's law, should this come to pass, we will let you know. Please keep us posted on any progress you guys have.
    Just to update you on this problem; after the car sat for several days the battery would go dead. The dealer installed a new battery and it went dead again. We told the dealer that we removed the fuse for the radio and the battery did not go dead. But as usual, they don't listen to the customer, and did not troubleshoot this problem. I took the car back to the dealership and talked to the general manager. I told him that this was unacceptable, that their mechanics couldn't find the problem. I had a local mechanic check out this problem and he found it immediately. He did a simple draw test on the audio system. The repair manual stated when the radio was turned off the current draw should not exceed 3.8mA. The system was drawing twice that amount. Finally, I convinced the general manager to replace the radio, which he did reluctantly. After letting the car sit for ten days, it started right up. I think Hyundai should put out a recall, if they have any customer loyalty, to solve this problem. I would also suggest that people not buy from Hyundai if this is the way they treat their customers. I know I'll never buy another one!!!!!
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    For about 2 months now, I've been noticing my check engine light coming on, not right after I've gotten gas, but a week or two later. Sometimes it goes away after I've reset the gas cap, sometimes it doesn't. But it definitely does go away after I've gassed up. After observation, I've determined that the light is going on when the gas tank goes down to about 1/2 full. My question is, do I need to wait until the check engine light is back on before I take the car in? If so, I would have estimate when it will come on again and make a date in advance at my dealer.
  • flagramma50flagramma50 Member Posts: 1
    Is it true that not having the "scheduled maintenance" done at the required mileage will "voide my warranty" and if so, why don't they point that out when you buy the vehicle? I told the salesman it was my 1st ever NEW vehicle purchase & that the reason I wanted a new one was because of the warranty. Of course, I read over the info when I got the Tucson, but I never say the words "void wanrranty."

I am near my 30,000 mile mark & took my vehicle in for an oil change & some other stuff. When I went to pick it up they said that since I was so close they went ahead & did the 30,000 mile maintenance & charged me over $500!! I wasn't prepared to spend that much this week. If I had known I would've taken it in when I was prepared! Help! :(
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Your warranty probably says something like scheduled maintenance is required to maintain the warranty in force. If something breaks then the dealer may try to deny warranty coverage. Then it's up to you to show that either you did the required maintenance or that the failure isn't related to the maintenance that wasn't done. For example, failing to change your oil shouldn't affect the warranty on the CD player, but a sludged engine claim would be denied.

This FTC link may help.

Most states require a shop to prepare a written repair estimate - the requirements vary, and the law may not kick in until a certain dollar amount is reached (for example, $350 in North Carolina). If this is the case in your instance, most states have a consumer protection office you can call for advice or help.

The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will estimate what the 30,000 mile service should cost for your zip code.
  • engelh59engelh59 Member Posts: 2
    I have been having the same problem with the battery going dead. I would like to know if you have had any problems since you had your radio replaced. I have been through the charge, replace battery stage and will have to take it over this week again. I would like to be able to tell them that the new radio has solved your proble of battery drain!
    As of now, the car has worked fine. After the radio was replaced within the week it went dead again. We took it back to the dealer. This time they put in a new battery that had more power. From what my husband said that the technician said that Hyndai will not replace the battery until they go through a checklist of other problems first. So, with the new battery we haven't had a problem. But who knows. I like the car very much and hopefully, the newer higher powered battery was the problem.
  • engelh59engelh59 Member Posts: 2
    I had the battery replaced with a bigger battery back on March 12, 2007.
    It looked like everything was going to be ok...then on July 7th went to start the car and it was dead! I am going to make an appointment for it this week, but for now the charger is on it now.
    I can understand sometimes after not driving it for 2-3 weeks, but it was last driven on the 3rd...
    I like you love the Tucson, but not this problem! I will keep you posted if I find anything out this week.
  • tyreetyree Member Posts: 3
    Re Battery Drain 2006 Tucson (kat)
    The 2-days sit with no start is identical to my issue - then we would jump it and it would be fine. After 3 trips to the dealer, they discovered a batch of defective stereos were installed. They produce a drain on the battery. Stereo was replaced. It requires removing the dash.

Now less than a month later, I have no air conditioning in the upper vents, and a ticking noise when the car is started or when I switch to different venting on the ac. I am in my 4th rental in the last 3 months.

I bought a new vehicle for reliability... does all this repair time make me eligible for the lemon law/replacement?

Tucson owner, Tucson az
  • bblm20bblm20 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 05 tuscon bought in Oct. 07 had only 8500 miles has been in and out of the shop
    since then as the battery goes dead on the 3rd day if not driven. They have replaced the
    battery and a module but now it is in the shop again. They can not find the problem
    and they keep it for days and will not give me a loaner. I have since been in touch with
    Hyundai consumer repairs and after threats the are giving me a rental for 3 days only.
    I suguest that :sick: you call them also if you they can't fix your car. This has been a real
    problem for many Hyundai owners. Have they found your problem? Good luck!
  • bblm20bblm20 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    My 05 tuscon does this and is now in the shop for 6th time and they can not fine the problem and the Hyundai corp. is aware but will not do anything about it. I think it should be a recall on this as it is a large group. Let me know what happened with you. I think all of us who has this problem should write lemon on it and park it by there dealership!
    This might get their attention! :mad:
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    I cannot speak to the radio issue, but I do know that Hyundai received a shipment of defective batteries at the Elantra plant. Mine lasted < 18 months and then had almost no cranking capacity. The battery was replaced and I have had no further problems.
  • strakerstraker Member Posts: 8
    Having engine problems with my 1&1/2 year old of Tucson. Overheating problems from crack in cylinder head.Dealer trying to replace part but should I be having these problems with practically new vehicle?
  • newhartfordnewhartford Member Posts: 49
    Obviously not but can you disclose which motor you have - 4 or 6 cyl?
  • nancy929nancy929 Member Posts: 2
    We also have an '05 Tucson and the battery goes dead after it sits for 2-3 days. The battery has been replaced twice (maybe 3 times), along with numerous jump starts that haven't been reported. We are very frustrated, as the dealership has denied any problem with the car....said it's "normal" to have the battery drain if the car sits.
    We need a more reliable car than this!! We like many things about this car, but unfortunately, this battery problem will probably keep us from buying another.
  • tyreetyree Member Posts: 3
    I posted with the same problem several months ago. The stereo was replaced, and I kept the vehicle approximately 6 weeks after that with no further problems. Apparently it caused a drain on the battery by coming on while the vehicle was parked. Not sure, but I believe the problem was truly fixed.

When the AC started giving me problems in 105 degree heat, I had enough, and traded it in favor of going back to Toyota. I had more rental cars in the 1 year I owned my Hyundai than I had in a lifetime, due to the dead battery issue.

I do miss the tall ride and high clearance, but not the gas mileage or the unreliability.

Try the stereo replacement. A bad batch was sent out. Also, until that is replaced, don't let it sit so long.

Good luck!

Tucson, AZ
    After three times the car was sent to the dealer, they replaced the battery, with a bigger, better battery. We drove the car almost everyday since, with no problems starting etc, this past 8 mnonths. The car sat for two days this week and the car was totally dead again. This is the fourth time. We have replaced the radio and battery. We had the car sent to the dealership and haven't heard what has caused the problem. We do not think that a battery should be replaced every 7-8 months for a car to work. I called the Hyudai customer service representative. I talked to an Anthony, he said that if we do not get satisfaction, that we are to call him, and he will start an investigation. Here is his number and extension 1-800-633-5151 ext 54316. Maybe all of us that are having this same problem need to call him to get some type of investigation going to solve this problem. The maintenance and service departments seem to think we are all nuts, and that there is nothing wrong with the car. We are totally frustrated because, when you buy a new car you expect it to work and not have these problems.

Thank you for your input we are taking your data into our dealership, when we hear their song and dance next week to pick up the Tucson.

dziak
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    The first I did when I bought my Tucson V6 in November 2004 was to order the 2 Shop Manuals. On it you could find procedures to do repair and maintenance to your Tucson. My car has almost 60K miles and I can say that I have service the car myself all the way.

The dealers are in there to make money and they will get it from you one way or another. When my car was 30K miles I changed all the fluids, eg. coolant, engine oil, ATF, Transfer Case, Differential, and brake fluid. I have also replaced the brake pads (I bought them like a kit), engine filter, PCV valve, caliper cleaning. I have also installed PIAA driving lights. The manual is also useful because recommended torque is given for the different tasks. Parts were order by me directly from the dealership and I have made use of the On Line Hyundai Parts site given (unfortunately the site has been removed by Hyundai without any reasons).

Because the car is near to 60K miles I think I should take the car to dealership to replace the timing belt, tensioner, iddler and V-belt in addition to the replacement of the spark plugs. I think I do not have the tools to do these jobs and also I do not have the experience and I will have to pay for the job. However this will be a specific job not a service (or routine service).
  • perahperah Member Posts: 1
    Hi Coachmoon
    I am from Canada. My Tucson 1 year old and I am starting to feel the same problem with my transmission. The dealer could not find anything. May be you can give me information what country are you from, in which dealership and when the repair was done. This way my dealership can contact yours and may-be they can get any clue what should be done for fixing my car.

Thanks.
    perah911@yahoo.com
  • dcwinbornedcwinborne Member Posts: 1
    I need to replace my hazard switch assembly on a 2007 tuscon. No manuals are availble and it is not under warranty due to a coffee spill. PLEASE HELP!
    How do I remove the dash board to access the switch assembly.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check these links while waiting for an owner to weigh in:

ray_h1, "Hyundai Online Shop Manuals Access" #, 21 Nov 2006 11:06 am

Online Repair Manuals

Removing the dash is pretty radical surgery that can probably (hopefully!) by avoided by some gymnastics under the dash.
  • krc5580krc5580 Member Posts: 2
    Hi! I have some questions as I am a new owner of a Hyundai Tuscon. I just bought my Hyundai last week 2007 GLS new off the lot. There were less than 100 miles on it. I have had it a week and Sunday it seemed as if the transmission went out in it. I was pulling out of my neighborhood when there was a clanking sound and the check engine light came on and there was no acceleration it was almost as if my transmission was rolling or wouldnt catch. Not only was roadside assistance no help bc it was a Sunday and I was out of town when this happened but my dealership couldnt help me either. I drove 200+ miles to the dealership in 3rd gear (shiftronic) on an automatic car bc it wouldnt shift automatically and we could only go 55 m. The shop said it is only a outake sensor that is bad but I am fearing it is much worse than that.. Any help????? Suggestions?? This is my first car that I have purchased and I wanted a reliable car and now I am worried I got a faulty car.Help pleaseeeeee
  • nancy929nancy929 Member Posts: 2
    We have 2 Hyundai Tucsons....a 2005 and a 2007.
    The 2005 finally got the radio replacement that it needed, as the original radio would drain the battery if the car sat for more than 3-4 days. So, the 2005 is finally working and reliable. It was a very frustrating problem for awhile cuz Hyundai refused to recognize the defect. It took my college-age-daughter to demand more attention to get the radio replaced (she can whine better than I can). Supposedly the warranty was off, but the problem was well-documented in our service record, so they did finally cover it.
    The 2007 Tucson had a sensor problem within the few few months that was taken care of and no problems since then. The Hyundai roadside assistance has been helpful, but luckily these problems have never been on a Sunday. The 2007 has been great in the winter weather with the stability control.
    We love our Tucsons, and hopefully they will continue to be good for us!
  • greatcarsgreatcars Member Posts: 66
    Is there such a manual available on Tucson? I haven't found one.
    The only manual we have is what came with the car. Haven't looked sorry
    the owner's manual is too short and simple and lacks sufficient contents. We need find a book with much more than that. Hope those auto publishers will do that soon.
    If you go to http://www.hyundaitechinfo.com you can register there and get access to Hyundai service info, TSBs, etc. There are diagrams, instructions and more. All in all, a very useful site for Hyundai owners. :)
    The plastic case of the remote control is cracking and probably will broken soon. Do I have to go to dealers to replace that?
    It happened a couple of times that the remote key could not lock the car and I had to manually close each door. The battery may be low. Is this the sole reason?
    battery and air filter are too hard to find. Had to use dealter for th ebattery and buy air filter online.
    Where are you located that you can't find parts? :confuse: I live in south-central PA and I just checked out the sites for the local Autozone and Advance Auto stores here and both show filters and batteries that fit my 05 Tucson and they have them in stock. Unless you live in some out of the way very rural area, I find it hard to believe you can't find aftermarket parts.
    I am in FL and the area is heavy populated. I had checked out pepboys, advance auto parts, warlmart and kmart and sears. No, I haven't found any. I think Tucson use some parts not very popular.
  • tucson07tucson07 Member Posts: 5
    ;) I've got an '07 Limited, 15,000 miles and LOVE it! Since new when I would change the temperature on the ACC system, each degree change would be accompanied by a "beep".(which although not particularly annoying I found unnecessary). Then several weeks ago I noticed that it doesn't "beep" anymore. The system functions perfectly but just no more "beeps" when I change the temp setting. I looked in the manual to see if there was a setting for this but there's no mention. I was wondering if anyone else with the ACC system has noticed this.
    Another thing while I'm on here, anyone else with the sunroof notice that when opened in the slide mode it stops about 6" shy of fully opening? I did the reset routine noted in the manual to be used after manually operating the roof with the crank but this changed nothing.
    These are both minor glitches and I do have to say that if my Tucson was a person I'd marry it!
  • rdillierrdillier Member Posts: 71
    We own a 2005 Tucson (First new auto for us) and love it generally. However, it's been in the dealer shop for two weeks trying to fix an air conditioning problem. Simply stated, after the AC runs for a while, it begins to "snow" inside the cabin, and then the AC shuts off. They've replaced everything, and called Hyundai USA and Korea about fixes, but the HQ says they've not heard of this problem. If they leave off the dash, the AC works fine. But when they reinstall the dash, the problem resurfaces. Any thoughts?
  • badams007badams007 Member Posts: 7
    I'm starting to get paranoid !

I have had the following items replaced on warranty in the past 3 months:

Radio/stereo
    oxygen sensor
    catalytic converter (took 2 months to get it diagnosed))
    alternator
    battery

I've also paid for a full brake job (which is probably about right)

No sooner did I get it back from the shop last week from the alternator death than it was leaking something... but of course when I went to the shop it did not drip for them, and they tried to tell me that the stuff I wiped off the pavement after it sat at work was from some prior vehicle.

Saturday morning, it boiled over and left me stranded out while I was bird watching.... 3+ hours to get a flatbed.... Managed to get a friend to take me to the dealership so I could get a loaner before they closed....

Is this a known series of problems ?

What else should I expect to go wrong ?

Any tips for getting customer service to to anything more than just fixing this thing 1,000 time over -

They are starting to sink some bucks into this thing, and because I have an extended warranty, there's still another 40k+ bumper to bumper to go !

-Beth the paranoid
This discussion has been closed.