Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tucson Maintenance and Repair

2»

Comments

• badams007badams007 Member Posts: 7
    Followup note....

They just called to report that the problem is that my click fan was not working and they are replacing it....

but that puts a lot more worries into my mind... radiator damage ? engine parts warped ?? gasket damage ??

PLEASE tell me if I am just being paranoid.

-Beth
  • deplantedeplante Member Posts: 1
    I have an '05 Tucson w/30k miles; I purchased new in Sept. '07. I have a defective area in the leather on the top of my steering wheel and am having difficulty getting this fixed. I started to complain about this in January and the service rep at the dealer said had to wait for a warranty rep to visit. I took it in and he barely looked in the door and said it is "wear" from the way we hold the steering wheel. Well as I tried to explain to him, neither of us hold the wheel at the top. We both hold to the side/bottom. I also tried to argue that they obvously used defective leather, as it should not have worn so much in 14 months (less than 30k mi). He decided to allow as "good will" to have the dealer call in their local vinyl repair shop to see what they could do. After many scheduling problems with the dealer; I finally got in to see the repair person. His solution is to dye the leather to "hide" the worn spot. This is a strip about 8 inches long running from about 11:00 to 1:00 and is flat to the touch. I did not agree that this fixed the problem. I have called the 800 customer service number and their opinion is that the regional rep has the final say. So I am stuck with either living with this, getting it dyed, or paying over $1000 to replace it myself. All I want is to have new leather wrapped on the steering wheel; is that too much to ask?

Is any one else having issues trying to get the leather repaired under warranty?
  • js26241js26241 Member Posts: 1
    A little bit of advice even though it may have been stated before- do NOT use aftermarket oil filters. Hyundai was having a problem with engine knocking and it was traced to other manufacturers filters falling apart. Hyundai states that warranty claims related to use of other filters may be denied. Sign up at hmaservice.com to see all service bulletins.
  • hyundaijoehyundaijoe Member Posts: 1
    We have been having the same problem with our A/C as well. It is actually in the shop right now. When it was looked at before, they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Have u heard anything more on it, or is it pretty much a lost cause?
  • bigdog4263bigdog4263 Member Posts: 1
    We were having the same problem with our A/C as well. When we drove awhile with the AC on ice chips would start blowing out of the vents (great if your drink is warm but disconcerting if you just want cold air). Then, just warm ac. So, we took it to our dealer to get the problem fixed. They had the car for a total of 3 weeks over three different visits.They drove it and couldn't find anything wrong with it. But the problem was that it took over an hour of driving before it would stop cooling and they didn't want to send a tech out on an hourlong joyride. Thankfully, it was still under warranty so we just kept taking back in. They said they were totally unfamiliar with the problem, but at least they kept trying. So, on the third visit they took the entire dash out and replaced the disperser valve. This seemed to do the trick. No more crushed ice- just cool air. So, take your Tuscon back to the dealer and tell them that this seems to be a common problem and they need to get familiar with fixing it and to stock disperser valves. Oh, and one thing that you must do on humid days is to run your ac on recirculate instead of fresh air, makes a big difference. Hope this info helps! BigDog4263
  • chasmatchasmat Member Posts: 1
    hi dave!

were you able to figure out how to get the middle console out of the tucson? i need to replace the power outlet in my tucson and think i have to remove the console, too. any help you can offer is greatly appreciated!

chasmat
    seattle, wa
  • quikglik1quikglik1 Member Posts: 3
    So here's a new situation that I haven't experienced with any of my previous cars (none of them have been Hyundais). As a background, I own a 2006 V6 AWD AT Tucson, bought new. It only has 22,000 miles on it. I've been getting about 18.5 MPG in mostly city driving until about a month ago when, all of a sudden, the mileage, as shown by the car computer, dropped to around 13.5 MPG. Recently, it has climbed to about 15.2 MPG. My driving pattern has been exactly the same all this time: nothing has changed in terms of gas used, distances, speed, acceleration etc. I've changed my air filter, but no marked improvement has occurred. So I took the car to a dealer this morning. To my great surprise, the service advisor REFUSED to take my car in order to diagnose it. He gave me a sheet titled "Hyundai Technical Service Bulletin - Fuel Mileage Calculation" that lists driving characteristics that affect mileage, like weight, acceleration, speed, accessories usage, maintenance etc. Daaaa... The second page spells out procedures to calculate MPG. The advisor told me that Hyundai requires them to have the customer do a mileage calculation and write down dates, mileage and amount of gas used on that sheet before they can take the vehicle in for diagnostics. WHAT? He also said that since the "Check Engine" light does not come on, there is nothing for them to check. So one thing completely contradicts the other because my engine light will not come on even if I do the MPG test so what's the point to even mention that? I think it's an outrage. Since when does one need to provide written proof of a problem before having the dealer attempt to diagnose a problem?!!!! Additionally, the car computer shows the current MPG. And if the dealer can't use that number to verify MPG and provide service based on that, then my conclusion is that the car computer is meant to be just a gimmick. The fact that there is 5-year warranty means nothing unless it's followed by Hyundai and its dealers and implemented. By the way, the Bulletin given to me is dated November 2005. It is obviously not a new problem, especially judging by the number of posts I've seen that have to do with poor mileage. There is no doubt that Tucson's auto transmission and engine technology is old, and lower mileage is to be expected, especially on an AWD vehicle. But there is no excuse for Hyundai and its dealers to be blatantly nonresponsive to their customers' concerns. I will try to call their toll-free customer service number, but I doubt that anything will come out of it. I've also had a pretty serious problem with the car's underframe that had to be repaired/replaced (under warranty) after only 15,000 miles. This is my first and last Hyundai product. I am planning to trade the car in at the first opportunity. Hyundai will loose customers very quickly with this type of service (I think they already have based on recent stats, more so than other brands). I would not recommend Hyundai cars/SUVs to anyone. :mad:
  • hcg1hcg1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Tucson with 3350 miles on it. I have been averaging approx 18 to 19 mpg city. My last 2 fill ups were 14.5 and 13.7 mpg. There has been no change in driving habits.My dealer can't give me a reason, and doesn't seem too interested. There is no black smoke like it is burning too rich, and no smell of gas like a leak.Anybody have any ideas?
  • pilotdavepilotdave Member Posts: 2
    I was shocked to see my VA Hyundai dealer quote a price of over $1100 for a 60,000 mile service. I was surprised to see that the timing belt is to be replaced. My wife's Accord is done after 100,000 miles. Has anyone questioned this early replacement? Thanks. Dave Wilson
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you what Hyundai says needs to be done for the 60k service and how much it should cost in your zip code. The dealer is probably padding the service with checks and replacement items that may not be required (although you may decide that some extras are worth doing).

The service should cost ~$400 here in Idaho for an '08. But you're in VA, and prices can be nuts there (my sister lives there and always paid through the nose to get her VW fixed and switched brands because of it).
  • pilotdavepilotdave Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Steve, I will examine the online documentation. I have already decided to get prices from other local dealers.
  • newhartfordnewhartford Member Posts: 49
    My Elantra belt (same engine) cost $350 to replace in upstate NY. The maintenance schedule is in your manual that came with the car - I go by that.
  • tucson07tucson07 Member Posts: 5
    -is that our vehicles are so relatively "problem-free" that when we do go in for service they have to make as much profit as they can by adding services. I went in recently with 31,000 miles on my '07 Tucson (also in NoVa) for State Inspection, Coolant Replacement and Oil Change. Before the work was done, they came into the waiting room twice trying to convince me that I needed brakes (even though they passed inspection, cabin air filter, valve adjustment, and the kicker...nitrogen in the tires! I politely declined on all but the look on the Service Writer's face was pure disappointment. I make it a point to edcuate myself with the Tucson's Scheduled Maintenace before I go in just so that I'm prepared to counter each of "their" recommended services. They always do it so be prepared.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    nitrogen in the tires!

Next time be sure to remind them that your tires are already 78% filled with nitrogen! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • lmccaffreylmccaffrey Member Posts: 1
    90,000 KMS and rear end is buzzing....any ideas?
  • specialkr4specialkr4 Member Posts: 1
    Today I brought my 2008 Tuscon in for an Oil Change, the car has 14,512 miles on it and I purchased it new in October of 2008. When I checked in for my appointment the service manager suggested that I get the 15, 000 mile service on it which I declined due to time constraints. I made an appointment for early June to have it done.

When they were finished with my car, the Service Manager again reminded me of the 15, 000 mile service but then told me that it also needed an alignment and the fuel injection system needed to be flushed and cleaned. On my receipt it says. 15 K Service Injector and Throttle Body Service Align. So it he suggested that I do all this today to the tune of $429.95. When I expressed my surprise at the cost and the fact that I have only had the car 8 months, he asked me if I bought it used and when I said no, he said well it does have 15 K miles on it but I can knock $65 off the price for you. Again I declined and mentioned that we'd do it during my appointment in June but I don't want to shell out that kind of money if I don't have to. According to the Edmunds Maintenance Guide, there is nothing like this on there.

My thinking is that this is unnecessary service that they were trying to coerce me into, but I want to be sure. Does my car really need this service at 15K?

This is my first Hyundai, I have always driven Toyotas before and have never had this high a service in the first year of ownership.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kelley
  • mwatoceanmwatocean Member Posts: 2
    Here's a question. Is your esp okay. My mileage went down and then there was a recall to reprogram the automatic braking system to prevent rollovers. Once they reprogrammed that, it was back to normal.

Just a thought.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    A very, very good mechanic gave me some sage advice regarding alignments. To wit; With the tires all aired up to the proper inflation, if there is no unusual wear, the car is not pulling to either side, and the car is tracking straight down the road, why do you think you need an alignment?

I rotate my tires every 5k and keep the tires aired up. Have only had alignments done when a part wore out and had to be replaced.
  • jdyer79jdyer79 Member Posts: 1
    I have had this problem also over the course of 4 and 1/2 years. I have had the ac fixed numerous time and now I am trying to use the Lemon Law for help. I would advise you to keep all documents and make sure that every bit of info is correct on all documents. luckily I am a control freak and keep all of my paperwork. Good luck with this. I have had a short in the system, compressor fixed, the evaporator coil. and the compressor again. (also the sytem has ben evacuated and recharged alot) Good luck and keep a positive attitude because you get more flys with honey!
  • 1goddess21goddess2 Member Posts: 1
    Here in charleston, s.c. for my 2006 Tuscon they wanted +300 for the 32,000 suggested services and a whopping +700 dollars service for 60000 miles. I told them no thanks, and I am glad I printed out the edmunds guide you recommended. Now I know what needs to be absolutely done and I have a better idea. Thanks!!!!!
    Thanks for the update. I've been tire-kicking an Elantra Touring so I called the Hyundai service department a couple of days after the test drive to see how their rates compared to the maintenance guide. I asked about a 5 year old Elantra sedan and asked how much for the 60k timing belt service.

I was pleasantly surprised when the service writer quoted me a price not too much higher than the guide, and he even told me it was too soon to worry about a water pump at those miles. Lots of places would try to upsell you the pump "since they are in there anyway."
  • hogster1hogster1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Tucson diesel. I have had it serviced at 10,000 km and 15,000 km. I was getting ready to take it in for a 20,000 km service when I noticed in the owners manual that my service intervals are 15,000 30,000 45,000 and 60,000 kms. Is it correct that I don't need a service or oil change until 30,000 km ????
  • rainybstnrainybstn Member Posts: 5
    I looked at Edmunds maint for my 2007 Tuscon V6 and it said I should pay approx $165. I called my dealership and 2 others in my area and the lowest I could get was $355 all the way to $495. INSANE. All they are replacing is oil, oil filter,air filter and a coolant flush. Everything else is just checking things. So my question is this, where can I take my tuscon to get service then? I have read that getting an oil change anywhere else will cause problems since they do not have the specific oil and air filters Hyundai requires. I do not know how to change oil, but I think I can change air filter pretty easily. I know I can go to local Brake shop to have pads checked, and tires at good-year. This is unreal. I would love to go to one place to do all, but I don't want to screw up my warranty by using wrong parts.
    You could try the Local Services tab above to find an independent mechanic. Or try the mechanic's files at Click and Clack. You can tell the mechanic to go to Hyundai for OEM parts or swing by the parts department yourself and take them to the mechanic.

But I really don't know why you couldn't get oil and filters at a parts store. Manufacturers ordinarily can't require you buy branded parts, per the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.
    edited March 2010
    Dealer Service Departments are not in business to service your vehicle, rather they are the MAJOR profit-center for the dealer. "My" Dealer, Browns in Manassas, VA told me I would get "FREE" tires for the life of my car as long as I had my maintenance done there...which I did including oil changes, serpentine belt replacement, etc. etc. However when it came time to replace my tires they said "NO, because I had not done every scheduled and unscheduled maintenance with them". What that meant is they wanted to see me at 15, 30 and 45,000 miles at $500+ per visit just to "check" the items on the list...and that didn't include replacement or repair if needed. So bottom line is that those tires weren't going to be FREE...they fully expected me to pay DEARLY for them in unnecessary shop visits. SCAM? Perhaps not, just a crafty way to jack-up profits.
    My recommendation is to get a couple of quotes and try to get your Hyundai Service Dept meet that price. That way you're covered IF you ever need to take advantage of the Warranty and save money too. It's a dilemma but the Dealers know their prices are inflated and can discount if approached in a nice manner.
  • reubenray1reubenray1 Member Posts: 21
    Is it a requirement to get the maintenance work done at a Kia dealership? If so then this may be a deal killer for me.
  • reubenray1reubenray1 Member Posts: 21
    I meant to ask is it required to get all of the maintenance work done at a Hyundai dealership?
    edited April 2010
    I will start by saying that I have a very good relationship with my Hyundai dealer and have dealt with them for several years. But I can give you some good ideas on how to save service costs.
    Buy the oil filter at the dealer, then buy your oil and do it yourself if you can. Keep a folder with your reciepts "just in case". You are not required to have the car maintained at the dealer to keep the warranty intact, but you do need to do the recommended maintenance.
    If you are going to have the dealer do the oil changes, check their web site for coupons. Most will have one.
    If the car is tracking straight, not pulling to either side, and the tires are wearing evenly, guess what? You do not need an alignment. Cars do not need routine alignments. They may need alignment after you really clobber a pot hole or curb, and after some steering or suspension repairs. Some dealers have tried to make an alignment a maintenance item. It is not.
    Brakes are a high profit item that many folks do not understand. Very simple; if the car is stopping normally, there are no unusual noises or pulling while braking, you don't need a brake job. Want to know how to tell if your brakes are getting near the replacement time? Look at the fluid level in the master cylinder. As the pads wear, the level goes down. If it looks like the fluid level is obviously below the full mark on the master cylinder reservoir, have the pads checked.
    It amazes me how many friends have brought cars by for a "second opinion" after being told they need $100's of dollars worth of brake repair, only for me to check them out and find nothing wrong, and easily tens of thousands of miles worth of brake pad left. You cannot determine how many miles you will get on a set of brakes without considering the type of driving being done. A car that spends it's days in stop and go traffic may be up for a brake job in 20K. That same car driven primarily on the highway may see 80K miles before a brake job.
    Radiator flushing is something that only needs to be done where the change interval on the antifreeze has been seriously neglected. Where long life antifreeze is used, a 60k or 4 year change will keep the cooling system clean. For "regular" antifreeze, 24K or 2 years has always kept things clean. Just remember it isn't the antifreezing properties you lose, it's the anti corrosive chemicals that break down.

Read your owners manual and maybe even pick up a book on car maintenance. Certainly not all dealers and shops are dishonest, but it will help you spot the ones that are.

Jim
    Has anyone had problems with no subwoofer output in their Tucson Ltd? Even if I crank the bass to the maximum, there is almost nothing coming out of the subwoofer. This is the radio with the Nav system.

I went back to the dealer and asked to check another vehicle on the lot, and guess what? No output from the subwoofer. Checked with the shop and was told that another customer had also complained of "weak bass" and they were trying to get information from Hyundai. I know something has to be wrong when the radio in my Elantra Touring has much, much better bass response than the much more expensive Tucson Ltd. :confuse:
    I've got an '07 Limited and notice that the Subwoofer is only really evident when I play a CD and has very little output from an FM signal. I too played with all the Audio settings to no avail. But no worry...there's usually some urban cruiser in traffic within a quarter mile of me shooting enough bass from their stereo to rattle my molars.
    Well, with only 4K miles on the 2010 Tucson Ltd, the compressor locked up. Lots of belt smoke, stalled the motor, and on a mid-90's day, no less. Happened when SWMBO got in the car after work and tried to drive home.

Now, I could be ticked, as could she, but I am going to look at it this way. The company that made that compressor makes thousands everyday. Stuff happens. But how the dealer handled it made it much better. Got the car straight into the shop and checked it out. Compressor front bearing failed, blew the seal, smoked the belt, etc. Mind you this was at 5pm. They checked the local dealers to see if anyone had a compressor in stock. Nope, not on this model. So they are having one air freighted in, put my wife in a brand new Elantra, told her they would call as soon as her car was ready, just asked that she bring the Elantra back with as much gas as it left with. Seems fair enough.

And the service writer, service manager, and shop foreman all came in and apologized that she had a problem with the car and that they couldn't fix it right then and there. That, my friends, is the difference between a good dealer and a bad dealer, regardless of brand.

I will let y'all know how it all turns out.
    Well, there isn't a compressor for the 2010 Tucson in any parts distribution center in North America. One is being shipped in from South Korea. In the meantime, the dealer has the car, and wife has a free loaner to use as she wishes. They just asked that there be no pets or smoking in the car. She doesn't smoke, and Snoopy can live without a cruise for a while, so no prob.
    Final update: Compressor came in over the weekend and repairs were completed yesterday. Blow ice cold, and the compressor is very quiet (as it should be). SWMBO is happy to have her "Grasshopper" (Kiwi green) back.

And as any married guy knows, if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. :)
  • jaimep1jaimep1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a question for anyone that knows more about cars than myself. I have a 2005 Tucson 4 cylinder today while driving with the AC on, all of a sudden I lost power steering, the battery and brake light came on and it smelled really bad. It still drove. Once the AC was turned off the pwr steering came back and the lights went off on a second trial turned the AC back on and the same thing happened. Any advice would be great thanks!
    A/C Compressor is locked up. Time to replace it, no way around it unless you want to go without A/C. When you turn on the A/C with a locked compressor, the belt starts slipping, giving you the burned rubber smell. If you keep trying the A/C, the belt will get thrown off the pulleys.

Sorry to deliver the bad news, but that is the way a compressor fails. Bearing goes out, and the thing locks up.
  • chapusinchapusin Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2010
    Meeeeeeeee, I was looking into adding a custom subwoofer and amp to my tucson when I remembed it already has one in the back. Problem is it doesn't work!! I just did some tests, I sent all the audio to the back and literally put my ear on the subwoofer and I could barely hear any bass coming out (even if the audio is sent to the front a signal is delivered to the sub so it didn't matter). I am very dissapointed with this, I really need Hyundai to fix this, we paid extra for this premium system that actually sounds like crap.

Here's another interesting thing, I was reading the manual and there's an option under setup called power bass boost or something, but it is only available on the non-navigation stereos. Changing the bass levels doesnt really work as this changes the bass level on all the speakers and creates distortion. My old civic had an option to adjust the stock subwoofer separately from the regular speakers.

Oh and according to some websites, there should be an external amp. I wonder where it is. I'll check under the seats tomorrow. Hopefully it has a knob to adjust it but the dynaudio on my gti also has an external amp and it doesnt have any knobs.
  • hoosierjerryhoosierjerry Member Posts: 3
    My Tucson is less than 6 weeks old and in the shop 4 times. The last 3 for a coolant leak. First time nothing was found, next time down to an O ring, this time they think it is the same O ring so they are replacing everyting the ring come into contact with. Wierd thing is it takes about a week after a fix for the problem to re-occur.

Dealer is being very nice. Loaner car, apologies, but I am sick of returning the car. It's a Iris Blue Limited with Nav. I like the car, just wish I could drive it.
    Agree that such a thing is frustrating, but at least the dealer is taking care of you. And doing the right thing by replacing the fittings for the o-ring. Sometimes you get a fitting that isn't quite right and the o-ring will last for a while before leaking.

Hopefully, this will take care of the problem.
  • audrey13audrey13 Member Posts: 1
    HI i own a hyundai Tucson 2006 diesel 4 wheel drive. I would like to know if anyone knows the oil consumption rate of this model as my oil level is going down really fast. The dealer is telling me it is normal and that the car consumes 1 litre with every 2500km is this true
  • doogie3doogie3 Member Posts: 1
    In the past 5 days I have experienced a problem with my 2007 Hyundai Tucson. The 1st time, I thought something was wrong with the brakes because at 40MPH I had to stand on the brakes to get it to stop. It only happened once that day. That night I brought it to my local repair shop to have the brakes checked... and they were PERFECT! I considered it an anomoly... now today, I was pushing on the gas pedal at 25MPH trying to go faster and it just wouldn't go!!! It was like I wasn't even pushing on the gas pedal at all!!! I had to pull over to let other cars go by because I was just limping along. Anyone have any ideas??? No check engine light or anything.... and now its back to running perfectly....
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    This may be completely off the wall, but...

Brakes don't work.... then, they work

Accelerator doesn't work... then, it works..

Do you have a floor mat problem?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

This discussion has been closed.