Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Inifiniti FX35 and FX45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    Not at all - brand new; no heavy discounts. By the way they replaced the steering gears and all the linkage. Still the wheel shimmy's starting @ 65 mph. Otherwise, below 60 it is smooth as glass. They can't figure it out. Everything checks out, so they say. Sounds like a :lemon: to me. So sad, the vehicle is nice otherwise. :cry: Have been thinking about the lemon law but it is SUCH a hassle!

I can't stand the wheel vibrating on the hwy anymore so I may trade it in w/in the next few days. This time I'm getting something a whole lot less expensive. These high priced vehicles aren't worth all the fuss and extra $$$!

By the way the loaner 07 G35's check engine light came on while I was driving it. Only 8,000 miles on it. I think Infiniti reliability and quality is going south! :confuse:
  • dafreeriderdafreerider Member Posts: 12
    Hi,
    I have 05FX35. So far had no problems at all. Recently the steering wheel started to vibrate during braking from high speeds. I think the brake rotors got warped and need to be replaced. Do you know if the brake rotors are covered under the original manufacturer's warranty?

Thanks!
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    Be very cautious of Infiniti reliability! I know, I've owned an 07 M35 and 07 FX35. I've had major problems with both. Currently, the FX35 shakes at speeds over 60 mph and they can't figure it out. The dealer network for service is plain awful and parts take months to get since they come from Japan. The service technicians need a lot more training too. They take things apart then either break them or reassemble them improperly. The service managers are more concerned with profits than customer service so they will cut corners. Watch Infiniti residuals also they drop drastically. Buyer beware! :lemon:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The dealer network for service is plain awful

Please rate the good and bad ones with Edmunds' new Dealer Ratings and Reviews.
  • flyingslantedflyingslanted Member Posts: 1
    :mad: Ok, so I just got off the phone with both the dealer and Infinity customer service. At 33k, they tell me I need new back brakes. It's a highway driven car and not my only car. Service area tells me it is "typical" that brakes need to be changed between 15-20k miles and with 33k I did well. I stated it was unacceptable to consider brake replace btwn 15-20k as typical. Called Infinity customer service, who told me the dealer are the technical ones to determine "typical".

After reading this board, I must add I too have a shimmy btwen 60-65mph. We will see if they fix this, but after reading the posts here, I'm not too optomisic.

Anyone know of anyone who wants to buy my car? If this isn't resolved in the next 48 hours, it goes on the market.
    :(
  • cyruscyrus Member Posts: 25
    Sorry to hear about your brake problems and shimmy between 60-65 mph. I have approximately 41K on my FX35 awd (an 04 I purchased new). I have never had any break issues (other than a squeak on reverse in the mornings) OR any shimming at highway speeds (I avoid all pot-holes at any cost even by evasive manuvering as chiagoland highways are generally riddled with many pot-holes, especially during winter).

Despite consumer reports giving 03-06 FX very high-reliability ratings, I have noticed that the FXs in general have break issues, mainly due to the high performance pads wearing out fast. I avoid breaking hard in the FX as I know I can wear them out rather fast. I did not have this issue with our previous cars (e.g., a QX4 which we just replaced with an 07 MDX).
  • texasfx35texasfx35 Member Posts: 65
    Does anyone know what it take to get the battery compartment cover off the vehicle? Not the door, but the compartment itself. It is almost impossible to check water in the battery through the door opening.
  • hottrader9hottrader9 Member Posts: 6
    I had the same problem but with the drivers mirror. they had to replace the motor.
  • hottrader9hottrader9 Member Posts: 6
    I also had vibration while braking esp. at from highway speeds, the rotors are not under warranty but there is a tsb from infiniti that will pay for the rotors to be cut and to replace the front brake pads. I had that done just last week and its much better.
  • dantedante Member Posts: 92
    All I can say is I have a 2004 FX35 AWD with Sport Package and other than a rattle in my sun roof which was quickly fixed by tightening some screws, I have had ZERO problems. Of course, I only have 15,000 miles on it since I only use on the weekends but still, pretty good, no? Jon.
  • dafreeriderdafreerider Member Posts: 12
    Do you know where to find that TSB for rotor repairs? I called Inifiniti dealer and they said, since the car has over 12K miles, rotors and brakes are considered a "normal wear" item and are not covered under basic warranty. The cost to replace rotors with brake pads would be $558. To cut rotors and replace pads something like $350.

I would greatly appreciate if you could let me know where to find that TSB. Thanks.
    Not sure where you live, but my Houston Infiniti dealer wanted $200 to replace my back pads (55K on the pads) including turning the rotors. I had an independent mechanic (tire store) I trust do it, and they only charged $99 and used Infiniti pads from my dealer. For generic things like brake pad/rotor replacement, I think you can use non-Infiniti mechanics without risk and save some money.
  • panamapetepanamapete Member Posts: 9
    I just brought home my first FX35...Autumn Copper! I have previously owned Lexus vehicles and notice a difference in the "feel" of the painted surface of the FX35. When compared to a Lexus, it seemed "grainy" and not as smooth. Has anyone else made this observation or does my vehicle have a poorer paint job?
  • kgerberkgerber Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 FX 35 has 24,000 miles and has the same symptoms. I also call the Consumer line and filed a complain, (I'm still waiting on a reply at the 28 hour mark. They said 24, not me). The dealership in Fairfield California couldn't care less. I'm curious, were your issues resolved, or did you just sell the Infiniti? I'm more than mad.

Thanks for your time,
    Kevin :mad:
  • jsmomfx35jsmomfx35 Member Posts: 2
    replying to dafreerider (Oct 31, 2007 12:52 pm)...

I also live in the Houston area. My situation is very similar, I'm also at ~ 55K and need rear pads. What tire store did you use - was it Just Brakes? I checked out NTB and they want just as much as the dealer.
    Also, what tires are you running on? I've not had the best of luck. I'm still running on the Bridgestone Potenza RE92. Within about a 9 month period, I had to replace 3 tires (mostly the result of road hazard, not necessarily wear). At nearly $250 a pop, I was not a happy camper. Right now I am in need of two.
    Not sure who you are asking this of. I got over 50K miles on the OEM Bridgestones. I think they were the RE92 model. Right now I have over 10K on Bridgestone Duelers, and they look like new. They are cheaper than the OEM equivalent, but have a better tread life rating. As to brakes, I live in the Brazosport area. I got my brakes done at Brazosport Tire for half what SW Infiniti wanted. I am sure you could find a reliable mechanic to do it for less than SWI in Houston. Brake pad replacement is not rocket science.
  • jsmomfx35jsmomfx35 Member Posts: 2
    I took it to just brakes this morning. They are telling me that I have uneven wear on the rear brakes because the caliper is not releasing and they need to rebuild. Over $350 for the whole job. don't trust them. Heck if I'm going to pay that much, I may as well take it to the dealer. I used to live/work in the Angleton/Lake Jackson area.
    So much for that $99 brake job that they advertise.
  • jfk5jfk5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '04 FX-35 AWD, 20" , 35,000 miles... when I accelerate to 2500 rpm... there seems to be a noise other than the engine and exhaust... I went to dealer and they told me that the car was fine... but I still hear the extra noise as I hit the gas... sounds like the wheels arent receiving all the power or something...cant figure it out... notice noise only as I am accelerating as the car shifts gears at around 2500 rpm...
  • f7firecatf7firecat Member Posts: 1
    Oh boy,after looking at this vehicle in consumer reports and falling in love with its performance and space age looks we purchased it new in 04. No major problems other than constantly needing rear brakes. 4 years and 60,000 miles later here we go. In march all the warning lights come on in the dash caused by a left rear wheel sensor.We fix it at a charge of about $250.00. In june the exhaust cracks and breaks off near the rear axle. Dealer wants to charge me$ 500.00 to which to which I argue them down to half of that but they eventually fix it free of charge after I continually tell them this is a $40,000.00 vehicle and pipes shouldn't be falling off.They also put new brake pads again. After new exhaust is put on we hear loud humming going down the road.Turns out all 4 WHEEL BEARINGS are shot and need replaced. Thank God only had 65,000 miles as drive line warranty runs out at 70,000. Dealer absorbed all the cost for that job and we got the vehicle back. Heading out one sunday morning we notice grinding noise from the rear. Turns out one of the new brake pad lost its padding. I had to spend Sunday afternoon putting new pads on. Called the dealer monday and as usual had to wait about 3 weeks to get a service appointment. My wife says she can't get in the drivers door because it won't unlock with the key fob and the 2 outside mirrors won't go up or down. Dealer takes the vehicle and puts new pads on again and turns the rotor and proceedes to tell me that it will be $1200.00 to fix the door and mirrors to which I tell him forget it. I'd like a call from consumer reports about now to survey this vehicle. 60000 miles...on a $40,000.00 vehicle....these kind of problems....come on.
  • fxmercguyfxmercguy Member Posts: 7
    I also have an 04 FX35, now with 75,000 miles. I've had to replace one front wheel bearing, and give it an occasional brake job (these are known for bad brakes-look at the black marks in Consumer Reports!). Routine maintenance is always done on time,

Aside from that, NO PROBLEMS at all, it runs great, performs great, rides like its on rails, and is fantastic in the winters.

I've considered trading in for a new one. The new 09s have a beautifully updated interior. The exterior however, I was not so thrilled about, certainly not enough to warrant the price tag. I'll stick with my 2004!
  • kingandykingandy Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 2003 FX35 (sport, with bose option), and I'm trying to setup the satellite radio. I'm a current XM subscriber - does anyone know where to find the ID number on the car that I need to send XM to transfer my service? Also, if there are instructions on how to setup the service? I found the free shop manual online, but it doesn't seem to cover any of this - and I didn't see anything obvious in the audio menus of the radio...

Thanks in advance!
    Andy.
    Andy,

I assume you've confirmed that your 03 already has the satellite radio hardware installed.

For both XM and Sirius, you tune the radio to channel 0 or 1 (I forget which but its one or the other) and it will tell you the code for the radio. Then you can call or go on-line to XM and they will walk you through the rest of the set-up.
    Thanks for the advice...

Since then, I've figured out that indeed I do not have the factory tuner (bummer!) -- but the car is pre-wired for an installation. If anyone out there has a good recommendation for where to buy a receiver/antenna, or they are willing to sell me theirs -- please let me know. The dealer has them, but they are considerably more expensive than I want to spend.

For anyone out there wondering - it is pretty easy to get to the XM module, you just need to pull the spare tire out, and a couple of panels.

Thanks,
    Andy
  • njfx35njfx35 Member Posts: 1
    Im having problems checking my oil. I can never pull out the dipstick correctly and for some reason i could never get an accurate reading i take it to the dealer and and the say it has the correct amount of oil cause everytime i check it it seems to need oil... some body please help! My car has about 80000 miles and it gets its oil change every 3 to 4 thousand miles could it be its burning that much oil?
  • tjernigantjernigan Member Posts: 3
    2005 fx35 61k with dash defects, looks like bubbles, According to dealerships this seems to happen after the 60k mile warranty. I have 61k miles and infiniti will not replace. It's not covered under my extended warranty, but when you pay $47000 for this kind of vehicle,you shouldn't have to worry about cheap craftmanship. There are numerous known cases dealing / same issue. There should be a recall /I'm reporting to BBB. contact me info on this issues. I want to start a petition asking them to do what is right, I really love my fx, but this just lowers my experience with inifniti and will not purchase another vehicle from them. I hope many fill follow .
  • frontierinfinifrontierinfini Member Posts: 4
    I just wanted to warn everyone that is in the San Jose, CA area never to take their Infiniti for service at Frontier Infiniti on Stevens Creek. I brought my FX in for it's 30K maintenance. They told me it was done so I picked it up after work. I paid for the service and they said wait a couple minutes while they bring the car out to the front. However, they can't find my keys. They said this apparently happens often and they might have just left the keys in another car. They "tried" to look for the keys for about 20 or so minutes and said it might turn up tomorrow. They made it a big deal that they provided me a loaner car.

The dealership said they were going to give me a call the next day. I get a call 11:30AM the next day informing me that my car was no longer in the lot. I was even asked if I had come back to the dealership that same night to pick up my car with my spare (So I'm the victim here and I get accused of taking my car). They "discovered" the car missing AM and it took them 4 hours to contact me. I immediately head over to the dealership to file a police report. They have no clue as to what happened. No internal investigation was done. No camera footage was available. Basically considered the whole matter as between me and my insurance. They were very passive and had poor customer service. I love Infiniti and if you car about your's, I highly suggest don't bring it in to Frontier Infiniti on Stevens Creek (San Jose, CA).
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to write up a review in Dealer Ratings and Reviews.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    My 04 FX35 was out of warranty when this problem began to manifest itself. Originally, the dealer said nothing could be done because the initial warranty was gone and the extended warranty does not cover trim. However, they advised I call the Infiniti Customer Service line (1-800-662.....) and see what they would do. I did this. Bottom line is Infiniti replaced the dash at no charge on good will. I emphasized that I had all my routine and normal wear maintenance done at the dealer. If you have not, it is probably a harder sell - go cheap on the maintenance and expect Infiniti to not cover certain things. It probably helps if you also point out the cost of the extended warranty,
  • uncleteduncleted Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 was afflicted w the same dash covering issue which apparently is the result of a substandard "backing" and adhesive which was supplied by one Nissan supplier (of many) for this component. Hot climate states are most involved and the #'s must be large. I asked my dealer for help (I am well out of warranty) and they, Key Infiniti , here in SC, politely declined...as I am a car guy I was very upset and called Infiniti consumer affairs...after two conversations and the question "have you owned other Nissan vehicles?" ...the answer is , Yes, four...I was granted replacement after a three week wait for the parts.Clearly this is a poor method of dealing with this obvious warranty issue, but I can only suggest that persistence with consumer affairs is the best approach. Actually "Michelle" was really quite helpful in the end, the follow-up process was excellent and Key did a good job w the repair. Otherwise I love my FX and have recommended Infiniti many times.
  • dilton75dilton75 Member Posts: 2
    I own a '07 FX35 in Charlotte, NC. I just got back from the dealer having gone through the 26K service and they sent a shock-er for the 30K maintenance.... apparently its going to cost me 1200 buck to get thru that...and this (i am sure) excluded anything else they find.

Does anyone have the same\similar experience? I am not so sure if I am ready to shell out 1200 bucks...specially right now. Any suggestions?

This is what they say will be done.....

Replace engine oil and filter
    Replace in-cabin microfilter
    Lubricate all locks/hinges
    Road test vehicle
    Replace automatic transmission fluid
    Replace climate-controlled seat filters (M45/M35/Q45, if so equipped)
    Replace differential oil
    Replace engine air filter
    Replace engine coolant/flush system
    Replace engine drive belts
    Replace manual transmission oil
    Replace radiator cap
    Replace radiator hoses
    Replace spark plugs
    Replace transfer case oil (4WD/AWD)
    Replace wiper blades
    Rotate tires (except G35 Coupe, Sport)
    Optional: flush automatic transmission (flush with ATF)
  • audreymaudreym Member Posts: 103
    I have taken to printing out the maintenance interval directly from Infinity's website and only agreeing to the LOWEST of the 3 levels of service. If you read the manual, the lowest tier is based on normal driving conditions. Sometimes I go the middle tier. I get a nice little lecture each time that this is the *bare minimum* to maintain the warranty, but it wouldn't be in the manual if it actually needed more.

Point is, the service department has their *own* schedule that they go by, which often includes WAYYYY more items which may not be critical.

I go to the point of using a highlighter on the printout of the items I want performed and leaving the sheet with them. We have had one too many experiences where they performed items that we didn't ask for.

Also an option - get a price for the same items from a Nissan service dept. A lot of times they will be a bit lower for labor, but I think the parts will cost the same. Loaner cars are not usually avaialble though.

Hope this helps ;)
  • lirpa007lirpa007 Member Posts: 14
    :confuse: Does the fx35 need to be lubricated in the ball and joints. I'm just curious as I never see this on any of the scheduled maintenance lists or on those coupons they send in the mail for oil change and inspection.
  • gerri1gerri1 Member Posts: 11
    I can buy this car in either Seattle or the San Jose area. I'm a little concerned that the dealer reviews in the Seattle area state that they aren't giving much of a discount given a lack of competition. I will probably lease for 36 or 39 months and can do it in the April to June timeframe. What would be the best deal you think I could get and should there be a difference in the deal between the two geographical areas? Thanks so much!
  • jojjejojje Member Posts: 1
    Hi, living in sweden, with an imported Infiniti FX35 -06, former owner in some way managed to brake the cd changer(probebly the wheel to change the discs), it´s very hard to repair it in sweden, any one with any ideas? got one to spare? can you recomend any one to repaire it? sell me a new one?

thanks for answers... (radio aint that good over here)
  • nolicnolic Member Posts: 11
    No, that is not normal. I've had my 2004 FX35 AWD since May 2004 and never had a problem, and I now have 70K miles and I still love it. I had it maintained through Charles Barker in Virginia Beach, VA through 45K miles and 60K was done by Hall Nissan. It's been flawless - can't complain. Check your coolant and thermostat, maybe that is what's causing the problem.
  • godivagirlgodivagirl Member Posts: 3
    I've been reading some of the post, most people or not touching 80k miles..can anyone give me an idea of how their 04' FX35 is running at 80K or more. This particular FX was owned in it's early years by a company in California (company execs drove) and has been owned by a private owner for the last 2-3 years. Seems as though he has kept up the maintance..my fear is that i get the car and the "brown-stuff" hits the fan.
    Please Help someone before i make this decision, keep in mind i have been in luv w/this car since it hit the road :confuse: !
    I bought my 04 FX35 used with 54,000 miles and now have about 86,000 miles on it. It still runs like the day I bought it, its an exceptional vehicle. Change the fluids, rotate the tires, and there hasn't been much else. Except, the only know issue with these has always been the brakes. Brake fade and rotor warpage - Consumer Reports had the one black mark next to brakes.

That said, there can always be some brown stuff if it wasn't maintained as it should have been. But I don't think you can go wrong...
  • godivagirlgodivagirl Member Posts: 3
    Thanks FXMercguy, I appreciate your help and input. The seller has placed new tires on "her" and brakes front and back..he did mention there had been some rotor warpage and such...every car has its weak points. I just would hate to buy this car, be paying on it and fixing it all at the same time..That would by sucky! :(
  • aq684caq684c Member Posts: 2
    really happy with new purchase wondering if anyone had advise on some maintanence i should do with 68000 km.
    also some interior lights in back seat arent working is that covered by warranty ?
    also anyone have ideas to get better gas mileage?
    pls and thank you
    just do whatever the manual and dealer says should be done. I think at 68000km, there is not much other than an oil change and tire rotation. Maybe change out some other fluids too.

If its the bulbs, lights are never covered under warranty by any car manufacturer. They are 'consumables' just like brakes and tires. If its a wiring issue or something otherwise faulty, they may be covered.

In over 3 years of ownership, my cumulative/average mileage is about 29km/gal (18miles/gallon) no matter what kind of driving I seem to do, highway, city, combined, etc... I don't think this vehicle will get much better than that.
  • driveshesaiddriveshesaid Member Posts: 1
    Infiniti of Chantilly (VA) dealership (30 miles from my home) got me to buy by offering to keep my car there for free when traveling out of nearby airport. Great deal. So when I needed regular maintenance (oil change, tire rotation) just before a vacation, I called to schedule an appointment and let them know they had 2 weeks to do it. Problem was, when I returned, no maintenance had been done. When we dropped it off, my husband had asked them to check a mirror adjustment issue and tire pressure -- so that's all they did. Ignored my maintenance order from a few days earlier, and only listened to his additional request. To top it off, I bought the car myself, not with my husband. That's how they treat women customers??.
  • sgillmoresgillmore Member Posts: 10
    Hello,

I've got a new FX 35 (about 6 months old). Just the other day I noticed that on the rear bumper, below the painted portion, so the black matte plastic area (if you have an infiniti like this you'll know what I'm taking about) there is a small sort of ding/gouge. It looks like someone probably hit this area with a sharp license plate hook or hanger of something of that sort.

Anyway, this is a big unusual. Does anyone know of anyway to repair this type of damage. If it was painted, it could be sanded down and fixed, but since its' on this sort of 'black plastic' area, I'm not sure how to address it.

Any ideas?
  • sgillmoresgillmore Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

Got a question. I noticed on my new FX 35 2009 that when I reverse the driver side mirror auto adjusts down to look at the curb, but the passenger side does not move. Is that how it's supposed to work? That seems odd to me as you're always against a curb on the passenger side, not the driver side, not sure why you would even need the driver side mirror to move at all.
  • wileyeamwileyeam Member Posts: 1
    I am entertaining purchasing a 2006 FX35 WITH 75K MILES. What should I be concerned about as far as this vehicle? Repair/Maintanence Cost? Mileage? Most importantly common defects on this vehicle? Should I purchase and extended warranty on it as well? :confuse:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may also want to have a look at Extended Warranties.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I've been really happy with my '03 at 80k - very strong mechanically and performs great. Although I've had to replace a door lock motor ($260+ for parts) and the hatch lift struts ($83/piece)... it's easy to work on, but parts do seem expensive. It gets about 18MPG avg, decent for a SUV. Warranty probably wouldn't cover the minor stuff, and I don't worry about it mechanically - the drive train is incredible.
  • shastasshastas Member Posts: 3
    Kingandy, I just talked to the dealership and they want $600 to replace my rear hatch struts ($278 for the parts). How easy is it to do yourself?

They already replaced these at 3 yrs on the vehicle and those replacements lasted less than 2 years with less-than-stellar performance during that time. I am not interested in paying $600 every two years.

TIA for your input.

Wileyearn, if you are still looking, I have had some weird small issues (mirrors, seats not always adjusting to the correct positions or even their motors going out) but they were fixed easily while under warranty. It will be interesting to see how things go off warranty. My biggest issue was the fuel line disconnected an hour into a weekend road trip. It was fixed while we took a loaner car on our trip.

As far as the gas mileage discussion goes, my computer reads 19.5 or 19.6. Used to be lower when I did hilly driving and city commuting.
    Happy to help. I used strutwise, and can't recommend Frank's service enough.Strutwise.com He charged me 40/strut to repair the old struts - and it takes about 15 minutes to swap out the two struts (just 4 bolts).... my wife and I did it in an evening. The only thing kind of hard, is it takes about 4-6 weeks to get them back because he's in Canada and customs is really slow! He actually turned them around in 1 day.

So, if you can manage driving around for 4 weeks or so with a really heavy tail-gate - it's a fair trade-off in my opinion. The struts have been working great for the last 10 months. Good luck!
  • squishles10squishles10 Member Posts: 45
    Did anyone ever address this? Only one side goes down, and you can choose which side by moving the switch that chooses the mirror that you want adjusted. If you want neither to go down, you can put it in the middle neutral position. Personally, I have the passenger side go down, as I can see better on the drivers side, but I wish they both went down. And I wish they would automatically fold in when parked.
  • myobmyob Member Posts: 53
    Old thread, I realize. But I had heard a few bad comments on Gwinnett and decided to buy a preowned G35 elsewhere. Just called for my first sched 2 service (minor) on the g35 and it was a whopping $32 for the oil change at Infiniti of Roswell. They were also straightforward during the sales process. Not quite as good of prices, but I'm sure the other guys make it up on service and other things.

Btw, as a former BMW and Saab owner, I have to say this is a pretty darn good car for the money. Fast, handles well, brakes great, comfortable, and maybe only falls behind a little in the looks dept. Even that is pretty decent.