Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• toobigforvettetoobigforvette Member Posts: 8
    The same thing happened to me, and the vibration went away when the dealer replaced the muffler.
  • jnl333jnl333 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone

I have a 2002 Denali and really love the truck.. The one complaint that I have concerns wind noise that I only get at high speeds. The noise seems to come from the front windshield on the passenger side. The sound is best described as sounding like crunching plastic. Anyone else experience this.

Thanks
    JN
  • usa4evrusa4evr Member Posts: 8
    Define high speeds.

I've been at 75 and its very quiet.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I seem to have an odd situation with regard to wind noise. On my car, I get a fair amount of wind noise from the area of the outside mirror on the driver side - but only in a narrow range of speeds. It's not there below about 25 mph or above 30 mph but there's a distinct whistling type sound in between.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • campo57campo57 Member Posts: 94
    There have been many people that have had problems with the rubber gasket that surrounds the windshield. Most have had the dealer glue it back down.

Campo57
  • jnl333jnl333 Member Posts: 2
    Usually 65mph or higher
    I had a 95 Chevy G20 van at any speed over 25 had a nice whistle from the drivers side mirror where the black plastic frame met the mirror case. I used black electrical tape to eliminate the noise. Sometimes it very difficult to determine the cause.
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    jnl333: I had some wind noise at the windhield. First you need to be sure its not coming from a sunroof. If you have no sunroof the dealer can easily address the noise by a special adhesive applied to the gasket around the windshield, particularl on the upper half.

I had an ASC sunroof installed which needed adjustment which eliminated 95% of the wind noice I was hearing. Good luck.
  • bowtie5bowtie5 Member Posts: 4
    The Escalade's 6.0 engine has a larger throttle body, ports and cam, and 10:1-compression heads.
    According to Popular Science Mag GMC has solved the problems with the Vortex V8 4-6-8 variable engine. Can't wait for post on this one.
  • lalanelalane Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the vibration input. Question: Did you go in (to the dealer) specifically to have them replace the muffler or was that their idea. I'm coming up on 15K maintenance checkup, thought I take care of it then. Your thoughts.........

lalane
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    There are 11 speakers. One in each A-post, 2 in each front door(tweet and mid range), one in each back door, one in each of the rear pillars, and the Sub in the back.
    I went to the dealer about the vibration specifically. They drove it around, I drove it around with them in the car, they hit the muffler a few times with a hammer, drove it some more, and then ordered a new muffler. I am at 22K miles right now, it was replaced about 5000 ago, and it has not come back since. I have been looking at Borla exhaust systems (headers back). If the vibrations comes back, I may just replace it all with the Borla stuff.

I never really sensed any power loss, but I just couldn't stand the annoying kazoo-like sound.
    I have a tweeter right over the drivers head. That makes 12.
  • campo57campo57 Member Posts: 94
    That grill over the driver's head is not a tweeter (or speaker) it is a sensor that has a fan that sucks in cabin air for the automatic climate control system.

Campo57
    Took the truck in yesterday for my 15k service and had them check out the cause of the vibration. According to the service mgr, the vibration was caused by the misalignment of the heat shield for the muffler. So, they repositioned it and it seems to be corrected. We'll see....

Lalane
  • fellersfellers Member Posts: 18
    Been a while since I have posted. Regarding your message: What did you find out about the engine knock when cold. I have a mazda miata that does the same thing and the knock goes away. I assume it is normal and just getting the lifters or valve tappets lubricated.

I have a list of small items that need to be fixed, and I was just waiting to find all the small stuff for one visit. Here is my list.

1. Engine knocks when cold
    2. Engine pulley squeaks (which one?)
    3. 2nd row driver side seat heater doesn't work
    4. Rear roof rack does not latch on passenger side
    5. Rear hatch is very prone to not latching
    6. Steering wheel off center... Just kidding!

Dave
  • larry91larry91 Member Posts: 189
    I have the same knock. The dealer says GM knows about the knock and it will not cause any harm.
    I took out the extended warranty with GM, so we'll see what happens.
  • 9rfan9rfan Member Posts: 6
    I've had my Denali for 3 days & 110 miles and so far my OnStar has gone out completely requiring a new unit and while driving home last nite the "cargo door ajar" message flashed on my message center, subsequently causing the interior lites to go on & off like a strobe lite around each turn & every bump inthe road. I stopped to check the cargo door & it was secure!! Anyhow, it' s now at the dealer for 2 days awaiting the new OnStar & they are checking out the malfunction with the interior lites/"cargo door ajar" lite show.....Has anyone else experienced similar problems and is this a precursor to more problems????
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    I had the cargo door problem. The dealer adjusted it and it was fine. One interum solution is to push the button next to the light switch that prevents the interior lights from coming on.

One other thing. Make sure your cargo mat/line is not preventing the liftgate from closing fully.
  • ferraro1ferraro1 Member Posts: 44
    Hello~
    I have a 2001 Denali and this issue has been getting Progressively worse and now it is to the point that I am going nuts when I accelerate, it is a humming "Vrvrvvrvrvrvrvrvvr"( yes that is How it sounds dont make-fun :) ) sound when I am cruising and it is only when I press the pedal Accelerate the dealer put dye in the differential to see if their is a leak that may not be the problem , but I dunno it just has been getting worse and now It is time to do something about it , so If anyone knows what this may Be PLEASE post , because I dont Want to Have to deal with GMC going back many times trying to find the problem, Thank you very much.
    Paul
    9rfan: can't speak for the OnStar issue but the door ajar was easily adjusted in my DXL. There are two latches on the bottom of the rear cargo opening that the door attaches to. These are adjustable and can be moved in and out. I believe when the door gaskets are new, such as your brand new vehicle, they tend to push the door away from the door ajar sending switch even though the door is properly latched.

The dealer should simply loosen the latches and move them closer to the interior of the vehicle by less than a quarter inch. That should do away with the inadvertent door ajar signal.
  • 9rfan9rfan Member Posts: 6
    Well, 3 days after purchasing my Denali, it will be in the shop for 6 days (it wont be ready until late monday, the 11th)....it seems like I need a new OnStar unit or something & the it has to be ordered from back east; the dash is all apart & they dont want to have to reassemble for the weekend....Jees, I didnt even want the damn thing in the first place really & was ready to tell service to just yank the darn thing out....what a pain!!!!

LOBSENZA & HEATWAVE3: Thanks for the insight on the latch problems, I will try to tactfully tell the service techs to try your approach!!!

I've almost forgotten what my new truck looks & feels like...... :<
    The vibration I experienced is probably this same humming. My noise went away with a new muffler (under warranty), but the problem may just be a misaligned heat shield (see above). So far as I can tell, the noise is the result of anything mechanically wrong that would be a safety or performance issue, but it was enough to irritate the heck out of me and any passengers.
  • jtstrickjtstrick Member Posts: 1
    Hello all:

This is my first post to this forum, though I've been following it intently for the last couple of months. My wife and I finally made the move two days ago and traded in her leased 2000 Acura 3.2TL/Nav for a 2002 Garnet Red Yukon Denali. All of the information that you guys have provided here was instrumental in our decision to go with the Denali (also considered Acura MDX, Cadillac Escalade, Ford Explorer, and even Range Rovers). We've been very pleased with our Denali in the short time we had it. I must also say that the Edmunds TMV figures and information aided the purchase process greatly. The dealer was trying to convince me at first the this vehicle sells about at MSRP, and the $2002 cash back was all I should be looking to get off of the price. But, as soon as I whipped the TMV printout out, the dealer changed his tune. I wound up negotiating to $1200 over invoice!

Also, the posts here also seem to be getting browsed by some folks at GM--I say that because many of the do-it-yourself upgrades (such as the relays for the auto-opening sunroof, the door unlocking when shifting to park, and installing map-light equipped dome lights on the rear seats) are already incorporated in the Denali we just bought (build date 11/01).

Well, my real question was: has anyone attempted to install the cargo cover from the Denali XL into a base Denali? It appears to have the slots right behind the second row seats to hold one, and the hooks molded into the rear interior panels at the tail gate to catch a cargo cover when extended. But the GM site I looked at (and the Yukon brochure) seem to indicate that the cargo cover is not an option on the base Denali, only the XL. Is this the case?
    JT

I don't know whether the cargo cover on my 2002 Denali XL will fit your base Denali but if you call 1 800 462 8782 between 0800 and 2300 hrs you can get an answer from GMC customer assistance.

What is an auto-opening sunroof?
    Cargo covers are standard on all short wheel base SUVs without a 3rd row seat. I am sure that that carco cover will fit. It is probably the same as an XL cargo cover, but I am not sure.
    jtstrick: Did you mean auto-close on the sunroof? If so, I have to say I'm surprised that the GM lawyers let them have it. The ASC sunroof which is the same sunroof as GM's factory model, comes with a different electronic controller that enables one-touch open and close and an auto-close feature which closes the sunroof 10 seconds after the ignition is turned off ( nice feature if you leave the sunroof open by accident and it rains). These features combined with the ability to have climate control in the rear compartment with the aftermaket installed ASC sunroof is why I chose it over the factory unit.

Also was curious if the 02 Denali enables both the low and hi-beams to be on when you activate the hi-beams? Or do the low-beams automatically turn off when you activate the hi-beams? Do you have to turn the fog lites on each time or do they stay on the next time you start up the vehicle?
    Activating high beam turns off lows.

Fog lights stay off after re start.
  • boco420boco420 Member Posts: 7
    Hello all - Just purhcased my '02 DXL (pewter w/ a sunroof) 2 weeks ago. So far, it's a heck of a ride. I had two concerns with the truck and wanted to see if you folks have had similar experiences.
    1) I hear a strange whining coming out of turns from the front drivetrain. It only seems to happen at low speed ( either that or I can only hear it at low speed ) and tends to go away within a few seconds after straightening out the wheel. I'm assuming it's the AWD system .. I used to have a Jeep GC with the full-time AWD and heard all kinds of drivetrain noises but nothing quite like this.

2) I'm hearing what sounds like an electric pump from the rear when the car is running. I am guessing this is the Autoride, but I would have figured that this noise would go away after any load leveling was done ... of course it could be the adjustable damping .. .

3) I noticed something kinda scary the other day leaving a stop light .... the transmission seemed to slip for about 1 second before I let off the gas and then it caught and has been fine ever since.

Anyway, that's what I've noticed so far. If anyone has any input, pls let me know.

We've been averaging ~12MPG around town ... to put that in perspective my old JGC with a 5.2L ( 318ci) and full-time 4wd used to get about 12.5mpg around town. Color me impressed.

Regards,
    boco
    1) I'm not sure if it's the same but the way you described it sounded very similar regarding the noise you hear coming out of a turn at low speeds. It wasn't my drivetrain which I thought immediately too. It was the heat shield for the muffler which was misaligned and under certain loads (@ low speeds) causes the shield to vibrate against the muffler. After the adjustment by the dealer, no more noise.

2) The electric pump sound is your auto leveling. However, it should only last for a couple of seconds immediately after you start the car or if there's a significant differential in cargo after the initial leveling. If it's constant, then you may have a problem.

3) My tranny slipped once or twice but that occurred within the first 1500 miles. Haven't experienced it ever since. Got 14k now.

That's my 2 cents.
    Enjoy The Ride........
  • suver4suver4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Denali and love the vehicle. Unfortunately, last week the 4L65 HD transmission went kaputz. Obviously, its under warranty and is currently being replaced, but I am wondering if anyone has had any problems with their transmissions?

John.
    I had mine replace at about 17,000 miles. Vehicle would not go at all. The replacement has been in for 3,000 miles and so far so good.
  • jsimmons5jsimmons5 Member Posts: 1
    My Denali XL transmission (4L65 HD) went out at 21,000. Still have a few "lock-ups" with the new one but it hasn't seized...yet.
    I think most of us Denali owners have experienced the tranny "slip" It comes and goes, does it once and then goes away for many miles. I have 12000 on the 2001 XL and hope the tranny doesn't go away on me at 17000. I love the ride but have some serious doubts about the quality control at GM.. I hope i am wrong.
    larry
    larry91: I also had what I would call a "lag" as opposed to a "slip" in the transmission. Could be the same thing, however mine was corrected relatively simply. At about 5000 miles I asked the dealer if I had the latest "flash" transmission software on my Denali XL.

It was a couple minute check with the analyzer and they informed me there was an upgraded software program for the transmission shift "schedule". The upgrade was done while I had an oil change and it made all the difference in the world for me. Check with the dealer because it could be a relatively simple correction.
  • denaliguydenaliguy Member Posts: 2
    My transmission definitely slips, though the flash memory service did improve the shifting points ("lag"). The dealership doesn't have a clue why it slips, but has assured me they will replace it if (when?) it goes out.
    Yes, i would describe my problem as a lag. I just had the oil changed, so the next time i go in, i will mention the flash software. Thanks
    Hello, I wouldn't doubt they are having some trouble with the tranny. Only time will tell, unfortunately, I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop. I hope this is caution and not paranoia.
    Larry
    I see u on the Excursion forum a lot, I too almost bought one until i read all the bad press about that vehicle. From checking in from time to time, they really have a "lot" of problems, far more than we have with the Denali's. Guess i made the right decision, tho i sure love the looks and size of the beast. Maybe sometime in the future Ford will wake up to what the majority of the large suv buying public is looking for in that type of truck, tho i won't hold my breath.
    I have had my 01 Denali for 24K miles. I drive pretty aggressively, tow a boat quite often, and even pulled a dead tree out of the ground. Not that I haven't had my other share of problems, but the transmission has worked flawlessly so far (knock on wood). Am I in the minority, or should I renew On* when my free year is up, just in case?
    Renewing On Star is probably a good idea, there is no sense in taking any chances, just hope the On Star doesn't go out. :)
  • phillips04phillips04 Member Posts: 1
    My 01' Denali had 13,000 miles before the tranny went out...very thankful the vehicle has on star capability, really saved me a lot of hastle when it broke down. Dealership was very kind during repair...only had the vehicle for 4 days. New transmission runs like a top!
    larry91: I also happen to like the look of the Excursion, although I think its overall weight works against its performance by being nearly 2000lbs more than a Suburban. The performance has been abit spotty based on the forum input.

Other than the lag issue with the DXL which was correctly with the software, I have absolutely no complaints regarding the tranny, although its disappointing to here about those that have had issues. Time will only tell but as of 16K and a fair amount of towing, I'm quite pleased with the performance.

usa4evr: I'm not entirely sure but I think the reason the H2 has a different tranny than the Denali is simply that the H2 has a low gear option that is not available on the Escalade AWD or the Denali AWD. Both the Caddy and the GMC are the same tranny however the H2 gets the additional benefit of a low gear ration which required a slightly different trans design.
  • chuckee98chuckee98 Member Posts: 39
    UH, no...sorry to say your reliable sources are wrong. For the '01/'02 Denali's with the projector lamps, both the high & low beams use 9005 bulbs. The regular Yukons / XL's use the 9006/9005 combination. Do yourself a favor and check your actual bulbs in your headlamps before you order new bulbs, if you don't believe me. It'll take less than five minutes for you to pull your headlights and check. Better safe than sorry with two unusable bulbs.
    Thanks

After review it seems both are 9005 one being 65 watts and the other 60 watts.

I had called two GMC parts departments and got the wrong information. They obviously looked up Yukon and not Denali.

I owe you one.
  • waitingonyukonwaitingonyukon Member Posts: 28
    Question for the people having Tranny problems. Do you own the Regular Denali or the XL? Is it happening on the 2001's or 02's or both? I have a Regular 01 with about 14,000 and haven't had any problems....yet.
    I have a 2001 Denali XL and have had several "MINOR" tranny incidents. None of them lasted more than a second and occur infrequently. I am not sure if it is a "slip" or a slight "lag" or hesitation. It could have something to do with road surface, don't know. But, u have to just keep your fingers crossed :):)
  • boco420boco420 Member Posts: 7
    Wow .. I'm surprised to see so many people with issues regarding the 4L-65's. Did anyone notice any specific symptoms before the failure? Are there any TSB's on the issue?

As a follow-up on my previous question on Autoride, I noticed yesterday that I get a loud 'electric' pump sound for about the first 15 seconds or so after starting up. After that there is a constant, softer electric pump sound that's present as long it is running. It is not noticeable from the cabin but if you get out you can hear it. Anybody else notice this? I didn't notice it on a regular YXL 1500 with Autoride.

Anybody have any comments highway mileage? Over the weekend we took the whole family ( 5 of us ) up to Mt. Hood from west Portland metro area. It's ~130 miles round trip from sea level to 6000ft and back. On the first leg of the trip we got about 16.5 mpg on flat ground ~65mph. For the whole trip average was 15.9 ... I was pleasantly surprised given the 12/15 rating on the truck. It's got ~1500 mi on it now.
    I have a Denali xl with 13,000 miles. According to the computer, i am finally getting 14 mpg average economy. My driving is on the xpressway, not stop and go city stuff. I am satisfied with that mileage.

I have heard the pumping sound,but only for a few seconds and never noticed it outside the vehicle, as the vehicle is usually off when i am out of it.
    Sorry...I do get a noise at times when i start the truck in the morning. Sounds like lifters that need oil. Sort of a grinding noise. That's why i took the extended GM warranty..