Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Audio Questions

patpat Member Posts: 10,421
Let's talk about Civic audio issues here.

Comments

• mportmanmportman Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me?? I have an 06 Civic LX. It came factory with a nice radio, but I needed RCA outputs. I bought the factory DX dash pieces as suggested to fit the Alpine that I bought and it fits like a glove...BUT... I NEED A WIRING HARNESS!! I really and truly hate to splice the wiring. Can anyone help me?
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Try Crutchfield's. They ususally have wireing harnesses that will interface with the orginal connectors.
  • redexredex Member Posts: 1
    just wondering if anyone knows if a 2006 civic EX coupe come with a ipod adaptor that goes in the glove compartment?

thanks.....
  • doan4udoan4u Member Posts: 105
    It should be the standard with all EX vehicle. ;)
  • mrcavemanmrcaveman Member Posts: 17
    Hi everyone. I have a 2006 LX and noticed the cd player does not read the folders I created for my mp3 music correctly. Exam: I created six folders named 01,02,03,04,05 and 06. Each have their on songs. When I put in the cd and it reads the data it thinks I have folders named 04,05,06,07,08 etc. It never shows folder 01, or 02 etc. I have made six different cd's now changing the folder names to 001,002 etc as computers like the number system. Although it never reads the folders correctly, it plays each folder and every song just fine. What's up. Anyone having this problem. I didn't want to complain to the dealer if there is a solution to this problem. Thanks all

cp
    Find car stereo store, 90% of the time they have the harness. Due to the rule of this forum. :( I know a good website that have step by step into installation of it. Sorry, do a google search. ;)
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Another review blasts it as junk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc3pcDM_JV0
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    After a week of ownership, I really love the car. The only complaint would be the radio. My '03 Sentra's was much better, but it also had tweeters placed in the A pillars, a much better place for them. Already swaped out the door speakers with a tweeter within the speaker and though it does sound somewhat better, I wish it had more power. Will talk to my stereo guy to see how we can get better sound & power in the upper part of the cabin.
    The window tint looks great with the Galaxy Gray color, and I even got the lightest tint available. It does cut the heat down dramatically. Now to find a sunshade that fits the windshield.

The Sandman :)
  • kero1kero1 Member Posts: 154
    Hey,

How hard was it to replace the door speakers. I saw some instructions, it did not look that hard but kind of a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]?

How long did it take to do one door? Did you need anything special other than normal tools?

Thanks.
    Curious, have you play with your right radio control nob. It control the balance and beat of the sound systems. It took me a week to figure it out :P Funny thing, I just notice my arm rest could move in and out when I enhance more gadget into my car. :P
  • frank209frank209 Member Posts: 5
    What kind of cable do I need to hook up a 30gb video Ipod to a 2006 Civic EX? I have tried Bestbuy and Compusa and no one could help. Thanks.
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    So I like the Coupe Sound System, but prefer the Sedan. I want Navi and XM, but want more power. Is there any third party AMP and speaker options I can do while retaining the factory head unit so I can get more umph, power and bass in the car?
  • perezrperezr Member Posts: 7
    It's a 1/8" mini-stereo plug (male) to a 1/8" mini-stereo plug (male).

If you look at your iPod's headphone plug, it will be a cable with the same plug on both ends.
    Sorry, No to the head unit. Yes, there is third party AMP and speaker. You have to splice the wire for the third party system. The reason is, because Honda want you to buy there products. :P

P.S. Don't make it too powerful. I found out someone crack his trunk hood other day.If you do it. Make sure you sound proof the area where the speaker is. ;)
  • buffylxbuffylx Member Posts: 2
    Hi:

You might interested to know that the speakers in the new Civic are cheap plastic and the mounting holes are horseshoe shaped so that aftermarket speakers do not fit. I discovered a method to install good quality speakers without modifying the Honda. Plus addition of a powered subwoofer. Details are here:- Part 1. Part3 shows the subwoofer design.
  • nostrom0nostrom0 Member Posts: 44
    go to mp3yourcar.com
    There is an adapter box which is installed under the dash. One side has an ipod dock connector and the other side connects to the cd-changer input of the head unit. I installed it myself, but you can just as easily take the whole unit to a car stereo shop for installation.

Bud.
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    i, like all of you, can't stand the sound..
    so i went to my autosound guy and he's hooked me up with DLS speakers (anybody know anything about them?) a kicker amp, kicker 10" bass, a speaker to RCA adapter (Since at this point i'm keeping the stock head unit), a remote power adapter and a befuddling diagram to install it all. (befuddling more because i'm not sure of what i'm doing but too cheap to pay anyone else).

the present plan is to amp the rear deck speakers and the woofer in the trunk, replace the stock ones in the front and just run them off the head unit for now.

i installed the rear speakers using a wooden ring that i cut out of 5/8" plywood. (The DLS magnets were bigger than those pioneers in that link and as such would not have worked with his method - at least not based on rough observation) i screwed the speakers to the wood and the wood to the deck. i got three solid screws through the deck into the wood (get your mind out of the gutter).

i don't know why but the sound i'm getting out of the unamplified DLS speakers has no where near the volume of the stock- good but not loud. i checked the leads and the positive and the negatives are where they are supposed to be according to the service manual. is the magnet too big and needs to be amped?

something else that you should know - the front door speakers are exposed to the "elements" - that is, they get wet when it rains. i believed it was designed to do that since there are rubber gaskets on the stock speaker frames - it's actually part of the seal for the inner part of the door. i found this out after i took the door apart after a rain. the drivers were all wet. any ideas for getting around that (without cutting sheet metal)?
  • civicex05civicex05 Member Posts: 42
    Most aftermarket speakers (I've never heard of DLS) will need more power than your OEM radio can deliver. You will either need to amp it or get a new aftermarket head unit with more power.

David
  • mammy7mammy7 Member Posts: 9
    hello nostrom0 (or anyone),
    i just bought an ipod adapter for the honda civic radio aux port (www.icarkits.com). i'm going to install it myself but i'm having trouble getting info on how to remove the panel to get to the radio. can you share how you did it? preferably with photos but anyway you like.

thanks
    michael
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    What year of Civic? If you go to this link over on College Hills Honda's website, they have the instructions for installing the Honda MusicLink on a 2006 Civic Sedan, which includes the steps needed to take apart the dash.

If yours is a different model or year, you can probably find some other electronic accessory on their website, which includes the dash disassembly instructions.
    sorry, 2006. these college hills pdfs seem a bit more involved than what i need since they're explaning the installation of something more involved. all i need is to pull the radio out and plug in an adapter and put it back. i might be able to figure it out based on these diagrams but i'm hoping for simpler instruction and hopefully photos to make the visual more explicit. this might work if photos don't exists. thanks.
    You essentially need to remove the two bolts from the under side of the dash, and pry off the front faceplate, which has 10 clips around the perimeter (4 top, 4 bottom, and one on each side, about 1/3 of the way up), and nothing really good to grab onto for help with doing that. Some rather resourceful people have used hemostats to hold the clips compressed, as they work their way around the faceplate. Once that's off, there's somewhere around 8 wiring connectors that you'll have to maneuver around, until you figure out where your new harness plugs in.
    seems like the cassette player instructions on the college hills site seems most direct to my needs. i assume it's necessary to remove the dashboard lower cover in order to remove the front faceplate which will expose the radio. then i'll probably be able to unscrew the radio, plug in the adapter in the back of the radio, position the ipod adapter, snake through the ipod cable somewhere, then put back the front faceplate, then dashboard lower cover.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/8th_gen_civ_sedan/indashaudio.pdf

does this sound right? if so, your info and the college hills site schematics should be enough to get me through.

michael
    Yep, sounds right. Stinks that you have to take most of the dashboard apart, just to snake one cable to a plug in the back of the radio.

Wouldn't it be great if you could just remove the glovebox, and reach around to the back of the unit, and plug the stinker in?
    thanks a lot for your help, dewaltdakota.
    michael
    Wooow! I think I'm a bit too late to help. First, DX,LX don't have MP3 Jack. The EX do have a auxilary jack. But the the 6-pin connector (blue) for the auxilary jack is located behind the center console. That 6-pin connector connected to your radio system. It control your auxilary (second, third source gadget.) All you do is pull the center console and used that 6-pin connector.

Don't waste your time pulling all other console part, because you don't need it. :P

The cable you could purchase at dealership. Some of the people at dealership don't know much, just beware of it :D

The other option is spice to the 6-pin connector (blue)

Feel free to asked for detail explanation or pic. :shades:
    doan4u,
    thanks. not too late. please do provide a detailed explanation and picts. what do i have to do to get access to this connector? what do i have to remove to get to it? do you know if there is an aftermarket adapter from 6-pin to ipod or do i have to go to the dealer?

michael
    I will have a detail explanation and pic. by this Sat. I sworn I have post a some ideas of removing it and aux. jack setup on this forum somwhere :confuse:

Honesty, I don't know the aftermarket adapter is avaliable for market. I seen peoples more splicing and T-tap the harnest. I think you could purchase a single 6-pin from dealership. Because I purchase extra radio harnest last month. :P
    thanks a lot for your help. this is the first i've heard of an existing adapter that's more accessible than the back of the radio. look forward to your post on saturday.
    michael
    Sorry mammy7, I thought you were wanting to use the adapter which gives you control of the iPod through your vehicle's stereo. I guess I got distracted by someone else's mention of the aftermarket dock connector.

If you're simply looking to add the aux jack, then you can order it directly from College Hills Honda, or buy it from your dealer. The part number is 08A60-SNA-100, and you can check out the installation instructions here.
    no, i just figured that out myself. what doan4u is referring to is a simple aux port that doesn't charge the ipod and i AM looking for the method that does charge. so what i have (www.icarkits.com) will do that and does require me to get to the back of the radio. i don't think there's any way around that. just figured that out as i've been searching for the 6-pin connector online, thanks dewaltdakota.
    so, doan4u, it looks like i probably won't use the 6-pin since it's a simple audio port and won't charge the ipod like the www.icarkits.com device that requires getting to the back of the radio. i don't want you to go through a lot of effort to post explanation and picts since i probably won't use it but if it isn't much trouble it'd be nice to know how to get to this connector in case i do need it some day. up to you but no need to go thru a lot of hastle.

btw, i hear that with many cars getting to the back of the radio can be done by simply taking off the glove comp. and reaching through. anyone know if this is true with the 2006 honda civic or am i stuck with taking off the entire front panel?
    True, the auxillary jack port don't charge the ipod. I take a little peek at your link. The best method is splice and t-tap a power source to that products.

I tap 12v power source to my Sirius radio adaptor and hook it at the auxilary jack.

If you wait a 1-2 week, I plan to mock a OEM apple Ipod into the car. ;)

I'm kinder waiting for my fog-light and my exhaust chrome tip to arrived right now.

Complete project are: aux. jack, Sirius radio, courtesy light, 12 cd changer, upgrade alarm system, and neon floor (blue and red) light.

Present & future project: Fog-light, chrome exhaust, Ipod, rear end spoiler, tweeter, and new set of wheel.
    "btw, i hear that with many cars getting to the back of the radio can be done by simply taking off the glove comp. and reaching through. "
    The Honda OEM Ipod routed behind the center console and routed up behind the glove comp. You used a a coat hanger or flexible electrical wire and tape the harnest to the hanger/wire and pull from the inside glove panel. :shades:

"anyone know if this is true with the 2006 honda civic or am i stuck with taking off the entire front panel? "

False, radio wise, you have remove 6-7 part to reach it. other wise almost all front panel.
    The Good news is that it all snap-on with some screw to it. :P
    thanks doan4u. but rather than splicing into the 12v and using the aux jack from the 6-pin perhaps it's cleaner, easier to just install the one iCarKit box to the aux port (or cd changer port) in the back of the radio and get both from one wire.
  • carlvr3carlvr3 Member Posts: 1
    Hangaralf1,

Do you know if the only way to use an MP3 player in the car is to buy the RCA adapter? I have a '06 Civic LX and was told by the dealer that the hookup was in the glove box but reading off of Honda.com it is through the glove box I think into the back of the radio. I can't find it when I remove the glove box.

Actually first time to forum and now I have found all this great info so disregard above question.

Ok, here is a better question now that I know how I get to the back of the radio. Do these kits come for any other MP3 players except ipod? I have a dell and want to do the same thing.
  • lholder6lholder6 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the Honda Navigation/XM Radio system can be added at the dealership or if it has to be ordered from the factory pre-installed? Thanks!
  • kcam213kcam213 Member Posts: 4
    Contact your dealer.
    I had one installed in my EX with Navi today.
    I talked with the manager and pleaded my case to get a great discount, he knocked off 1/2 of what I was quoted by the service dept months ago and from other dealers as well.

I was worried about the installation, since I have been reading online how complex the installation is, so far no squeaks, gouges to my dash or any damage to my car. I am happy at last. :)
  • kapil_civic07kapil_civic07 Member Posts: 2
    Is there a way to shuffle tracks in mp3 cd via inbuilt cd player?

If not, its kind of lame - since a typical mp3 cd can hold approx 150 tracks. Though one can organize the tracks in subfolders, even then driver has to manually skip initial folders/tracks.

Thanks
  • pipsterpipster Member Posts: 1
    hi i have a new 2006 civic uk model ,i think they are the same as the us model underneath but not in the looks department .Does any one know how i can get a ipod connection and a low level output for a amp to drive a sub and help would greatly be received as no one has any idea in britain
  • 46jimbo46jimbo Member Posts: 12
    Yes, it is possible. Just use the Rdm (Random) button.
  • 06civic_hybrid06civic_hybrid Member Posts: 2
    Our 2006 Civic Hybrid came with an auxiliary jack in the dashboard. After asking Honda (no help) and several google searches I found 2 possible solutions. Both of these units connect to the ipod dock connector port and the other end connects to the 3.5mm (1/8") slot that was standard on our Civic. The Logic3 MIP142 or SendStation Pocket Dock with the Line Out connector are what I have found. As far as I can tell either one will allow most ipods to play through the stock sound system. Has anyone tried one of these?
  • newcivicmannewcivicman Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone no the RMS power rating on the LX standard headunit?
  • daviidavii Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06 EX, that I bought in May partially because of the sound system. All summer the system worked great, but when it started to get cold I noticed that the sub woofer was crackling when the volume was turned up between 10 & 14. I have it at the dealership now (10K service) and they said they couldn't hear the problem.

Has anyone else had a problem with their sub woofer?
  • danielrdanielr Member Posts: 8
    I have an 07 HCH and I am just about to take the leap here myself. I have a 2G Nano that I want to hook up. It definitely looks like some form of docking station to 3.5 jack cable is the best solution. If you just use a 3.5 (headphone) jack to 3.5 jack the quality of the output won't be as high. This is due to the fact that the docking connector provides line level audio out at a fixed volume. Whereas the headphone jack has variable output and equalization and amplification circuits in the loop.

I have seen some other cables via google beyond the ones you list. I am going to stop by an electronics store today and see what they have in stock. I'll let you know how it goes.

Dan
  • 06civic_hybrid06civic_hybrid Member Posts: 2
    Dan,

I'd appreciate any feedback. I have not purchased anything yet and my wife is wanting something soon.

Thanks for the reply.

Robert
  • danielrdanielr Member Posts: 8
    Robert,

I actually went on a hunt localy yesterday and came up empty and frustrated. No dock connector to 3.5mm Jack solution. Lots of ignorance or bad service. I tried Fry's, Circuit City, CompUsa and Best Buy.

I decided to go with the Pocket Dock solution and ordered it over the web. I'll let you know how that works when I get it.

Dan
  • alt2006alt2006 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone installed a aftermarket audio system in 2007 LX/EX. The integrated dashboard looks like it is difficult to fit in a aftermarket. comments please.

Cheers
  • daviidavii Member Posts: 2
    Hey, If you have this problem Honda has a service bulletin on it and they will install a fix. Well worth it, the stereo is working great again.
    I contacted Scosche, who stated they will be producing an aftermarket dash kit for the 2007 CR-V (non-nav) in the January/February 2007 timeframe.