Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX vs. BMW 328i

2»

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, this isn't the best place to get into detailed critiques of others' mileage.

Let's get back to the subject. Those who want to continue this conversation should meet up in the 3-Series MPG discussion.

Thanks.

(BTW, I'm just replying to the last message in the string - this is to all involved.)
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I'm thinking that the reason that the post numbers in the "Real-World Mileage Numbers" discussion are so low is that most of us 3-Series owners spent out time in the now defunct 3-Series discussions and didn't even know there was a discussion dedicated to fuel economy. That said, I've been contributing in the various 3-Series discussions since 1998 and have read pretty much all of the 50,000 plus posts since that time. While I don't think there is a good way to prove this, it is my bet that there are literally hundreds of mileage related posts in those discussions, and it is very much the rare post that claims economy less than 20.

Thinking about this from a different perspective, one of the long time contributors to the E46 3-Series discussions, a certain brave1heart routinely races his 2001 325i, going so far as to run in the One-Lap of America (and doing so well that he was the highest placed E46 325i, beating out many M3s and other superior hardware in the process) series last year. I'll send him a message to confirm this, however, IIRC, he once made a post suggesting that he was getting somewhere around 15 mpg while racing. Not too shabby.

I'll keep y'all posted. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Oops! I was writing my reply when you wrote your redirection. Sorry about that. :blush:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Thanks, Bruce! I guess that's a foolproof measure to ensure one cannot inadvertently walk off with the engine running. But it does beg the question, why did BMW bother with this system vs. a standard ignition key?! It seems there's only a negligible improvement in convenience in that you don't need to turn the key, but just push a button. Unless there is more to the system than what I'm aware of. :confuse:
  • obviouschildobviouschild Member Posts: 4
    Well, I have an interesting update to my story. Back in September my lease was coming up on my 2004 325i and I ultimately decided to get a 2006 TSX AT w/ Nav. I liked the car, it was definitely good looking, drove pretty well and had excellent features. I really enjoyed the nav with XM and the Bluetooth was the best. The thing was, I was definitely going to miss my 325. This was evident right away when I was at teh dealership and the sales associate I was working with asked if I was excited as he was handing me the new keys to which I replied, "Yeah, I guess so." I really liked the TSX, but I never "bonded" with it. That may sound really lame, but I love driving and I just couldn't connect with my TSX. It felt like I was driving someone else's car. On top of this, I just couldn't take curves quite as fast confidently and, although they've done a lot with front wheel drive, I really felt the torque steer. I also found myself saddened a bit every time I saw someone else in a 3-Series...not to mention my co-workers got tired of hearing me say how much I missed my Bimmer.

So Saturday I finally decided, after 5+ months of liking teh TSX, but missing the hell out of my 3, it was time to change back. I just picked up a 2007 328i and am unhealthily in love with my car again. I know this isn't what an Acura message group wants to hear, but I guess it's the point of these forums.

So basically, if you're looking for a lot of standard features and cool bells and whistles for your dollar along with a pretty good ride, the TSX cannot be beat...it really can't. BUT, if you are a serious driving enthusiast and would rather have the power, handling, and smoothest ride out there, the 328 is the way to go...without a doubt. Take it from a born-again Bimmer-fan.
    Congrats!

And this isn't just an Acura discussion, it's a comparison including a Bimmer, so your comment is most appropriate and welcome! :)
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    congratulations on getting the car you love. I probably love my tsx as much as you love your bimmer. I do alot of driving- nc to nj and back alot. For me my06 6 spd w/nav is just what I want. I am not out to win any races- had my share of cars with turbo's. I am glad for you as I am sure your co-workers are too. Happy motoring!!!!!!!!My only suggestion is manual transmission is the way to go
    Actually, I had gone to the dealer with the intention of getting a manual. I had one on my 325 and was looking forward to it again. Believe it or not, they did not have a single MT on their lot. Oh well. While not the same, the steptronic is there and decent. i woulda loved to try it out with an MT though. Oh well...maybe next time. My fiance keeps reminding me anyway that I won't want to worry about shifting when I've got a screaming kid in the backseat....yikes.

By the way, I've made the NJ to NC trip many times. I'm from north jersey, went to school at UNC - Chapel Hill, and now live in Charlotte. Pretty nice drive.
  • altima1altima1 Member Posts: 4
    I was debating between the Saab and BMW with the cost advantage clearly pointing to Saab but I recently test drove the Jetta GLI and I'm impressed. While the GLI doesn't have the prestige of a luxury brand it is very competitve in terms of features and performance. I drive an Altima now so any of these three marks a big change for me. Any comments to steer me in the right directtion would be appreciated.
  • fasterthanyoufasterthanyou Member Posts: 131
    In my opinion Saab is out of the question because of the horrible resale value. I shopped in the same segment and my final choice was the VW GTI which is practically a GLI without the trunk.If you want a fun car for not too much money you should go for a base GLI (sells for about 23000 after discount)but if you want to spend more,a base 328i with sport package would be a better choice than a loaded GLI. My advice is to get the VW (you get the most car for 23000)but not for the price of a BMW. Good luck with your decision.
  • waw40waw40 Member Posts: 39
    I am not surprised that you miss your Bimmer but I am surprised that you attempt to compare it to the TSX AT!
    I am sure your impressions would have been different had you picked an MT. Try one and you will see what I mean...
    went thru the child-rearing days with manual transmission cars. luckily my children usually fell asleep while I was driving. A screaming kid in the backseat would be terrible for any driver. where in North Jersey. I grew up in bergen county. My mom and daughter live in Toms River. I now live near Wilmington. We had a car with steptronic. It is definately not the same- could not wait to get back to manual. Did you test drive a manual TSX. Oh well, too late just enjoy and be safe
    It's funny actually - I had a manual on my 325, decided on the AT for the convenience with kids so got that on the TSX, then realized how much I missed the MT so looked for that on a 328, the dealer didn't have any so ended up with the AT on the 328. Crazy. While I do still hate the brief hesitation you get with an AT, the 328 is pretty responsive. In hindsite, I woulda liked to have driven an MT on the TSX if only because I heard such good things about how smooth it is. Oh well, I'm happy now.

Oh yeah, I'm from Bergen County too. Grew up in Emerson and Oradell.
    Thanks for the input. I'm planning to lease so resale value is somewhat less of an issue. All three cars have reliability issues and BMW is by far the most expensive. If I delete the Saab, I'm wondering if a 323i with sport and premium package is really worth $5K more than a loaded GLI? Power is the same and the GLI has more features including leather and 6 disk CD.
    my tsx will soon get a real test-we are going on a two-week road trip out west. Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone National Park and other places. We are leaving April 27th. I am going north to N.J. the end of March. While I am there I am getting my car serviced at the dealer I bought it from. I want to make sure it is o.k. (which I know it will be). I was close to you-New Milford and Demarest. Bought my first car-a 1971 VW Beetle from Old country motors on Kinderkamack road in Emerson.
  • fasterthanyoufasterthanyou Member Posts: 131
    "I'm wondering if a 323i with sport and premium package is really worth $5K more than a loaded GLI? Power is the same and the GLI has more features including leather and 6 disk CD."

I think you should go for the BMW if the difference is only 5000$. I went with the GTI instead of the BMW because the difference was about 12000$ and I thought the GTI is at least as fun to drive as the 328, but for 5000 difference BMW is the choice. 5000 is a small price to pay to upgrade to a premium brand. Plus you will save another approx. 1500 on maintenance(in 4 years) with the BMW so the real difference comes to about 3500. VW is a great car but a BMW is a BMW.
    Good advice! Thanks.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    seems to be deader than Elvis.

Since I bought a TSX a few weeks ago, after carefully planning my 3-series ED trip for the past several years, I found this comparo only today and took interesting information from it.

Does anyone still look at the TSX vs. the 328? Perhaps all the 3-series people are going to the 335. I doubt it though, given the value-seekers (that'd be me) or the badge seekers (definitely not me) who want in for the minimum possible outlay.

Either way, my TSX (with all of 503 miles on it so far) has been a very pleasant experience, and I've had excellent luck with Asian vehicles over my 43-year driving career. The '09 TSX has gotten decidedly mixed reviews, so overall I'm pleased to have the one I've got. I'm very much looking forward to a 2000-mile or so road trip to and through the mother lode country in CA in the next few weeks. I'm looking forward to a positive bonding experience.

Pat, is it time to update the name of this thread? Or (as is always possible), am I just too thick to have found an existing 328 vs TSX topic?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Good idea - change made, and thanks for the nudge. :)
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,723
    Elvis is dead? That' s not what Jim Morrison told me...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Elvis Costello is not dead! He's married to Diana Krall, isn't he?
    Krull? Wasn't that a bad B-movie horror flick?

And, really. What is so funny about peace, love and understanding?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Krull wasn't a bad movie. And I think Elvis had a cameo in it...
    Pressley or Costello?

Thank ya. Thank ya vura much...

I drove an 08 TSX today. It seemed to have a funny hitch in the transmission, it was hard to go smoothly from a stop. It had about 4k miles on the clock and appeared to be meticulously maintained so I surmised this was a "feature" not a bug. :)

Does the TSX have the infamous drive by wire that upsets many in some vehicles? It was truly weird.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Automatic or manual?

I noticed that the clutch/fuel feed felt enough different on my TSX (that I've had all of 3 weeks) that I'm still getting used to it, but haven't killed it yet. I've driven lots of different manuals & it always takes awhile to learn where the clutch takes up & how the throttle responds. So far, I'd say the TSX isn't too different from most & better than the Lincoln LS it's replacing.

I'm through the break-in period & am getting on it more now. Seems smoother all the time.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Automatic, sorry, that would indeed be a relevant factoid. :)

I never could figure out how to adjust the side mirrors. There was a left/right stalk thing on the driver's door, but I couldn't make anything (except my fingers) change the mirror. I did not put a whole lot of effort in it, though.

It was a nice little car.
This discussion has been closed.