Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Durango Towing

phranphran Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Dodge
I have a 2003 Durango that I use to tow a two horse trailer. I have an ongoing problem with the brake system. It is a Tekonsha system, which is supposed to be great. But it keeps grounding out. When I step on the truck brakes, they grab. When I turn on the right turn signal, the truck brakes and\or the trailer brakes grab or lock up. I've had no less than 5 mechanics look at it. They all say the system is grounding out. They clean connections and check the elctric stuff and say it's good to go. But it starts happening again, anywhere from a few months to a few minutes later. I've replaced the entire system once, and it happened again, so I am thinking there is something wrong with the truck, not the Tekonsha.

The only other vehicle I've towed with the Durango was a 26' camper trailer. In that case, the indicator light on the control box was either bright red or totally green. There was no apparent difference in the braking, no matter what color the light was.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• rob1963rob1963 Member Posts: 2
    I actually have a question about how your 03 durango tows with the horse trailer. What is the tongue weight of your trailer?, do you haul 1 or 2 horses? and what motor do you have 5.7 Hemi? I have been told the Durango will bottom out on the coil springs from one dealer but not from another any problems ? if so what solutions did you use? Any comments from any one would be great! Rob1963
  • neile457neile457 Member Posts: 65
    Hi, I have a 02 Durango with the 4.7 V8. The Hemi didn't come until the 04 redesign. I tow trailers all the time that weigh between 3500 - 6000 pounds (not sure about tounge weight, probably not a lot, though. I have towed a trailer that has weighed only 1800 lbs, and had a problem with the back end bottoming out. I had to put heavy duty coil springs on it, it works great since. I have over 183000 miles on it, with no major problems.
  • wburmilwburmil Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Durango SLT 4.7Ltr, it has the factory installed towing package, i bought the car used. I noticed when I attach my boat trailer to the truck only the left break light works. I needed to use a converter from round to the 4 pin pluf for the trailer. I used a tester with some lights to see if the right break lights are getting power and found out that they are not. I dont know what to do to find out where there is a problem on the gitch socket for the right break light, all oter items work fine.

HELP PLEASE

walter
  • rob7734rob7734 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a travel trailer, but I can not seem to get a straight answer on how much my 2003 Durango can tow. I have a 4.7 liter engine and 2WD. It is the SLT model. I have called the manufactuer and they say that with a class IV towing hitch, I can tow about 7,500 lbs. This is also what the owners manual says. The trailer dealer seems to think that my vehicle can only pull about 4500 lbs. The Dodge dealer says the same thing. I have gone to other trailer dealers though and they think I can do the 7,500 lbs. I am going nuts! The trailer I want weighs 6080 lbs. Is there anyone out there that is using their 4.7, 2WD SLT to pull a travel trailer? If so, how much are you able to haul safely? Please help me sort this one out.
  • suzieq2suzieq2 Member Posts: 1
    I tow a 25' travel trailer with a 2003 Dodge Durango w/a 355 gear ratio, 4.7 magnum engine with a factory tow package. The trailer weighs 4300 lbs curb weight. Whenever I'm towing, I am towing about 5,000 lbs. I have no problems with the engine overheating, I have a little problem going up long steep grades (downshifts into low range, but it is still very capable.) I average 9 mpg when towing. I found 4300 lb towing capacity from the internet, but all dealers say 6,000 to 6,500 lbs. At the trailer business they say 6,000 lbs with no problems. Additionally I use an equalizing hitch plus sway control. It's all good. Happy towing.
  • bruceg3bruceg3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 dodge durango 4.7 liter. I pulled a pop-up camper weighing 3800lbs. i felt very litle drag on my vehicle. I could easily cruise hwy at 70 mph. So i decided to move up to a 4300 lb hybrid lightweight camper. Well to my surprise tne towing is very different. First of all when towing weight is mentioned, resistance is not applied. because im no longer pulling a low profile camper but now a large surface, my experience has changed. My first trip got me 7.5 mi per gal. could only pull at 55 to keep engine from overheating . It was a hot day but never had overheating before when pulling pop-up. So the wind resistence makes vehicle feel like its pulling 9000 lbs. Can anyone give me ideas on how to keep engine cooler and how to maybe deflect some of this head wind. I cant get a different vehicle. thank you
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    You may want to consider an aftermarket radiator with more capacity, and actually after 7-8 years your factory radiator may have diminished capacity due to scale build up in it. I assume you have the factory heavy duty towing package with the larger radiator, if not, you probably have the single row radiator. Also, I've noticed that on my 2000 a lot of debris builds up between the trans cooler and a/c condenser, I have to blow it out with the hose from time to time. It blocks the airflow through those plus the bottom of the radiator.
    You can't do much about the wind resistance. I guess that's why a lot of people like fifth wheel trailers, their more aerodynamic and much easier to manuever
    Is ther any way to find out what my durango will tow considering not all durangos are not made equal.
  • judyh2judyh2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering purchasing a 2003 Durango 4x4 SXT. I have to tow an 8' utility Haulmark trailer with my household items to Alaska. Anyone out there on this forum that could help me decide if this is the vehicle that would get me to my home in Alaska without overheating or breaking down?
    HOW BIG IS YOUR ENGINE- DO YOU HAVE A TOE PACKAGE ON YOUR TRUCK. DO YOU KNOW YOUR GEAR RATION IN REAR END. HOW MUCH WEIGHT ARE YOU PULLING. HOW TALL IS THE TRAILER. WIND RESISTANCE IS A BIG FACTOR. ARE YOU GOING TO BE TRAVELING IN HILLY AREAS. I might be able to clue you in better with these answered.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Also,with a nearly 8 year old vehicle, the mileage and condition, along with some idea how well it has been maintained would help. I doubt if any Durango would have trouble towing the trailer you describe, but more info is needed. How far are from Alaska now?
  • dirtbaggsdirtbaggs Member Posts: 1
    Hi, i have a 2000 durango with a 5.9 magnum, oif towing push the end of the shifter knob on the steering column, this will put it in trailer mode. Try it and see if it works better.
    Enjoy
This discussion has been closed.