Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Eos Test Drive Reports

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
Volkswagen Eos Test Drive Reports

Comments

• vwmanjimbvwmanjimb Member Posts: 28
    I drove the Eos a few weeks ago. It had the 2.0l and had more than enough power. It is so quiet with the roof up and also with the moonroof (which is HUGE) open. I got it up to about 90 mph with the top down, and there is very LITTLE cabin wind. I was able to talk to the guy next to me as if the top was closed. This will be a great seller as long as VWOA will get us enough. To get in one at under $30K is very impressive!! Check your local dealer mid July when everyone should have one on the grounds and be available for official launch Sept. 9!! :)
  • flheatflheat Member Posts: 46
    I had a deposit on the C70 until I drove it; I went to the VW dealer and drove the Jetta with the 2.0 and there was no comparison. I currently drive and Audi a4 cabriolet with the 1.8T and that even drives better than the C70. I put my deposit down on the Eos with the 2.0. I figure I will get a better driving car with the same options ($36,000) for almost 10K less based on the 28K base and the british options pricing.
  • vwmanjimbvwmanjimb Member Posts: 28
    You will absolutley love it!! You should be able to drive one middle of July. All dealers are getting one to show until end of August. Check with your dealer. It is an amazing car!!!
  • vegas82vegas82 Member Posts: 1
    Got my first test drive of the new Eos at a local VW dealership here in Vegas and I have to say, "I LOVE IT."

Decided that I will purchase one, BUT only when it gets closer to '07. Don't want to order one now and have it in '06. I'm kinda anal about things that way.

So, going to enjoy my time with my '05 Scion tC until then. Always wanted a convertible, but don't like cloth ones. Plus, I live in Vegas, won't last long in this HOT sun and we tend to have alot of car theft in this darn city. SO, the Eos is a hard-top that's in my budget.
  • feuryfeury Member Posts: 1
    I've been driving an Eos for the past 36 hours. It's fantastic. My own car is a 16 year old Eagle Talon TSi with a turbo and all wheel drive. Very few Talons were produced in that configuration and the car is pure excitement to drive with a rocketing turbo and amazing handling. I never thought I'd find a replacement. And, after 16 years and 120,000 miles I know I need to be looking. Well, the Eos may not have all wheel drive, and the turbo may be a bit subtler than I'd like, but the car has great acceleration, phenomenal handling, a killer stereo, a beautifully designed interior, solid but comfortable seats... and a retractable hard top!!! OK, I'd give up the all wheel drive for the retractable hard top at the drop of a hat - pun intended. Last night, on the Ventura Freeway at 85mph, with the top down and Elvis Costello blasting thru the audio system was worth $30,000 - just wish I had the money!
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    you mean 16year old mitsubishi eclipse and dodge dtealth twin? Yup, they're good cars. My mom has a 93 stealth with 199k miles.

Is using the sunroof and convertible top confusing on the eos?

-Cj :confuse:
  • oooahoooah Member Posts: 3
    I just test drove the demo at my dealer and it is a fun one. This car is one of the most unique cars I have seen in a long time. With the top down and four adults in the 2.0T it was hauling on the Interstate. In no time we were cruising at 80 and having a great time in it. I just have to wait now for my dealer to find the right one for me. I don't want to wait the three months to order and dealer is saying that they can find the one I want in 3 weeks. We will see. I wish they would hurry though. We actually had only 80 degree weather today compared to 100+ the past two weeks. I take that as a sign for me to buy one!!!! Enjoy everyone!
    :blush:
  • ltpetieltpetie Member Posts: 3
    Antwerpen VW on Ritchie Hwy in Glen Burnie has one. Test drove it today. Very small on the inside. The 2.0T (which the dealer has as a demo) doesn't have enough pickup for me. I am waiting for the 3.2, due to arrive sometime in September.
  • tdevanetdevane Member Posts: 35
    I test drove an Eos this week. I liked it but I noticed that the acceleration wasn't very responsive. I wasnt going anywhere, there was hesitation so when i pressed down further i ended up spinning the front wheels. I'll have to drive another to see if it happens again. Ive seen this posted on volkswatch as well.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    stick or auto?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tdevanetdevane Member Posts: 35
    It was an automatic that I drove. We drove a different one today, this time I had my husband (a car enthusiast) drive and he noticed the same thing. Other than that we both love it. After pricing it up it came to around 39k
  • flheatflheat Member Posts: 46
    I test drove an auto yesterday and really the only thing I did not like was the acceleration in 1st and 2nd. I was able to squeel the tires and there did not seem to be any turbo lag but in the first 2 seconds it felt like a 4 cylinder without turbo, once it shifted from 2nd to 3rd, the car was perfect. The shift was kind of hard but I am used to the CVT on my Audi A4 cabriolet. The car has the same feel as my audi. Top down it seemed as quiet as my audi, top up it was a bit noisier, but nothing i can't live with.

Has anyone driven the manual? I might go that route if one is available in my dealer's initial allocation.

By the way, in my opinion, anyone who is buying a Volvo C70 is wasting $8,000.
    wait a sec. I want to clarify this. Are you saying that, with the top up on the Eos, it is NOISIER inside than with the top up on your canvas roof Audi? That would be quite disappointing to me.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Yes, top up my audi is as quiet as a regular a4. The noise that was heard is the normal engine noise that you would hear in a jetta, it is nothing annoying, just an observation (and any volume on the radio will drown it out). The audi just has more engine sound proofing. It was not enuf to rule the car out for me.
    oh, so was this just sitting still? We're not talking road and wind noise here?

• dangerouscurvedangerouscurve Member Posts: 6
    I have driven three different Eos (no package, luxury, and sports all 2.0T). I found the hesitation mentioned earlier in this thread to be very real and very pronounced. My experience seems very much like that of tdevane. The initial lack of acceleration (sometimes even when moving) is more than a lack of performance from a 4 cylinder (I have a four cylinder now). I experienced very little acceleration (from a stop and when moving), then it picks up, and then the turbo kicks in when applicable. I suppose it could somehow be related to my driving style. I am not someone that usually demands large acceleration (but I do test for it). However, the hesitation is present during my typical driving style (rather mild accelerations). If you have any tips please share them. Maybe a lot of cars are like this. Years ago my Grad Prix (V6) had a hesitation like this. I don't recall experiencing it again (even in a rental car) until now.
  • cdgchicdgchi Member Posts: 8
    My wife has owner an EOS for three weeks, neither she or I have noticed any hestitation. The power comes on very smoothly and no turbo lag.It might be that your driving style doesn't cause gear changes so the lugs in a lower gear
  • allcarsrcoolallcarsrcool Member Posts: 113
    WHERE IS EVERYONE GETTING THESE ABSURD PRICE QUOTES!!! In northern VA they have a base price of around 26K!!! 45K sounds like you are being cheated out of your money!!!
    45K is what someone said they spent on a new Eos in another forum
  • cb391cb391 Member Posts: 24
    Look at the VW website and you will see VW's listed base for the Eos is $27,990 for the base model 2.0 4 cylinder and 6 speed manual trans. $45,000 will get you a pretty well loaded Eos with with a V-6. If you see one priced at $26,000 , please take a photo of the window sticker and post it so we can all see it.
  • gmundgmund Member Posts: 1
    I am in Germany, an American, and will order a EOS 2.0
    I have driven two cars in the US and 2 here one was the 2.0 Turbo diesel here in Germany and the Other 2.0T

The quality is there and it is fast, No hesitation (a [non-permissible content removed] car lover or contrarian obviously) the Eos fully loaded
    will be sub $40K USD and you can buy the $29,000 version which is well equipped. We took in autobahn and country roads top speed I reached was 230KMH and smooth. Top down
    it was driveable at 210KPH and you could hold a conversation but the wind noise was something of a bother
    (same in any convert at that speed)

I dont know what to say other than the car is fantastic.
    the 2.0 Turbo would be what I would choose but at this price it is well under a BMW 3 series coupe and what a loaded Mini Cooper S would cost.

I just sold my 2005 Mustang GT Convert and the Eos will save my gas bill and is very sporty. In fact the other car I was considering is a Corvette
    i started a forum way back in the 2nd week of august about fun driving experiences but there has yet to be a reply so if anyone here has had fun driving their convertible or any car for that matter the forum is called "driving stories" and is in the mazda miata forums. so please tell to get this forum started... i've already posted 2 stories... hope to read your stories :D
    Thanks for the thought cdgchi. After ready your reply I decided to check out the "lugging" theory you proposed (in yet another Eos). Unfortunately, that wasn't it. Overall the hesitation was less in this car than in others I drove. Still a very nice car and I might own one yet.
    Well, I don't know if I am suppose to be the "[non-permissible content removed] lover or contrarian" but after reading the posting by cdgchi I decided to test the idea that the car may be lugging in a lower gear. So I drove yet another Eos. Unfortunately, that wasn't it. However, the hesitation in this car was fairly mild compared to the other Eoses (?) I drove. Still a nice car. I simply suggest that anyone buying an Eos should thoughly test drive the actual car they are to purchase (something you should do for ANY car). If you are happy with it, buy it. I also did a little more research and read that Consumer Reports indicated a hesitation in the Passat (which is of course a differnt model but same make). And as a side note, the VW drive train is strong; but it would be nice if they are now making the whole car with the same reliability as some of the prominent asian makes. None the less, I may own an Eos yet.
  • marjohnmarjohn Member Posts: 1
    I have a '07 Eos. Have had it for 15 months. My wife & I have experienced the
    hesitation in excelleration. We have decided that if one foot is on the brake, even a
    little bit of pressure, will interfere with excelleration.

Check it out & see what your conclusion is.

In case anyone is interested, we love the whole driving experience in our Eos with
    the top down.

marjohn
  • epona19epona19 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying an eos and was wondering if there's any significant differences btwn the 2011 and 2012's? Also have test driven the mini Cooper S and enjoyed it, quite a bit cheaper... Have been reading these posts about slow accelleration in the EOS, can anyone tell me about acceleration compared to the mini S?
  • skostickskostick Member Posts: 3
    Test drove the 2012 eos comfort. I felt like the fatwa shaking when I drove it at 55 mikes
    per hour. Any ideas why this would be? The salesman was pretty useless....so I love the car but it was not a great ride. I want to be sure it rides well.

My current car is a Hyundai sonata 2011 and drives better, but I want a cute convertible...and wish the car serve better? Any thoughts??
  • dougndodougndo Member Posts: 136
    I'm not sure what "felt like the fatwa shaking" means, but I've owned a 2012 Eos Komfort for two months now. I took my 82-year-old mom from Ohio on a California Coastal Tour from LA to San Simeon (Hearst Castle) and back in the Eos, and she had nothing but compliments for the car: its comfort, its smoothness, its quietness, its handling and acceleration.

Now my mom and I have different expectations from a car, but I'd have to say on balance she's more picky than I am, and she has a long experience with driving and riding in luxurious autos. I have more experience with performance and handling. The Eos seems to cut a good line between the two, and as I get older I find it to be a car very much in tune with what I want a sporty convertible to be.

Neither of us noticed any shaking at any speed, just some tire slap on some of the recession-era CA highways. :shades: