Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Eos vs. Volvo C70

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited March 2014 in Volkswagen

Comments

• biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    How does the EOS trunk compare to the Volvo's? There's still a little space in the Volvo when the top is down too.

How did you think the interior compared, for quality and looks, to the Volvo?

There was an EOS at the Washington Auto Show too but it was way up on a platform; couldn't sit in it or really see any of it except the exterior.
  • cb391cb391 Member Posts: 24
    We were luckier. We had one on a turntable and one we could actually sit in and play with.To me and the people I was with, it appeared that the Eos had more trunk space with the top down. Exterior looks of C70 seems slightly nicer but I liked the interior of the Eos better. I'm tall and I found the seating positions more comfortable to me. Quality overall goes to the C70 but not by much. Volvo has always been held to a higher standard especially in the safety factor. Volvo always has weird styling cues. Where the dash meets the console there is a storage space behind the intersection and is tricky to reach. Still don't have a consensus from dealers as to lineage or pricing, but specs appear to indicate Eos is Jetta sized and prices vary widely and options are still unknown. Only thing for sure is base engine is 200hp turbo four. Eos may be a good deal and will undoubtedly be cheaper than a C70. We'll just have to wait until VW releases more info. A tough decision.
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Thanks.

I've never had a very high opinion of VWs, seems like their electrical systems were always going screwy and their ergonomics weren't that great. But that might be an out-dated opinion, based on old information from friends who've owned them some time ago.

When I bought my Maxima five years ago I also test-drove a Passat and the Audi A4 and A6; just couldn't get comfortable in any of them and felt like the seats were rock-hard. I liked the way the Passat and the A6, especially, handled, though; very tight and really gripped the road.

I'm interested enough in the EOS to at least give it a test-drive. I think it looks good and probably should get decent mileage. I wish it were more like the Passat than the Jetta, though.

I know what you mean about that little storage shelf behind the console in the C70. It might be useful for some things, but you couldn't put a paper toll-ticket or anything else that's light in there in a convertible, it would likely blow away. Maybe a CD or two? I couldn't quite tell about the size.
  • kf714kf714 Member Posts: 9
    I am 6-4 and was told at the Washington auto show that the interier was just like that of a jetta which gives me lots of leg room when the seat is all the way back. What is your height and did you feel like it was a tight fit? Also any idea on demand for the eos?
    I'm 6-3. I don't know about the Jetta. Never had any reason to check one out. The front legroom for tall people is very good. Seat comfort seems ok but it is hard to be subjective about comfort when people are standing in line to check it out. I can't imagine that seat comfort would be too bad. I have a 92 Camry with seats that are about worn out and an 01 Escape with seats that are about as soft as a boulder. So seat comfort seemed ok to me not tight at all. I would have sympathy for the person sitting behind me. I think the Eos will do well here in the Chicago area. We have quite a few SLK 230 and 320 running around and some SC 430. Yes a Volvo is a little nicer and slightly larger but also pricier. I think it will sell well here. Got some Eos dimensions and specs. Checkout http://www.supercarsite.net. Also check http://www.autointell.com
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    My question is, how is the rear seat? Also i think the volvo's styling is better but because the EOS is new, the styling is fresh (all of those who wish to copy this and reply asking what my favorite is, its the EOS). My oath "I WILL NEVER OWN A FORD OR ANY VEHICLE IN COOPERATION WITH THE FORD MOTOR COMPANY EVER AGAIN!!!" I've had bad experiences with the ford motor company. :mad: . All of their vehicles i've had are :lemon: !! my point, gooooo EOS! :D:D
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,810
    The rear seat is decent for the type of car... It has fore/aft space on par with the 3-series or C70 convertible.. surprisingly so..

The one thing I noticed in the front, is that the seating area is narrower than either of those two cars.. Not sure that will matter in the back, as with most convertibles, the rear seats are pinched together, anyway..

I didn't sit with anyone else in the back, though... I was all by myself..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Can't help out about the rear seat. Didn't check it out. I usually do but not this time. I would think it would be similar to a Jetta. I don't plan on sitting in the back anyway. As for Fords I've owned 3- A Club Wagon that basically is a fancy van that had trans issues, a Taurus that was ok until 60k miles and then constant trans issues and constant fluid leaks. As for my Escape it has been reliable enough other than poor build quality and some minor issues. If you want tight in the front seats try a Z-4 and as I remember the 328 we tried was a little snug as well
    If you want tight in the front seats try a Z-4 and as I remember the 328 we tried was a little snug as well
    Don't forget the tt coupe(which has a 2+2 seating. That is just impossible to accomplish)or roadster(just 2 seating) or sc430 with useless rear seats. Getting comfortable back there is nearly impossible and can cause :sick: kids only or not.
    Actually most of the cars being talked about have little or no rear seat space when the front seats are pushed back for taller people. These include the C70, SC430, Saab 9-3. BMW 3 series, G6, and Eos. The only useable rear seat is in the Solara. That being said, I still would like to have an Eos....
    Thats understandable but don't forget, none of these are a vw eos :shades: . Btw, does anyone know the relative size(bigger than gti, smaller than passat) roughly? I've been out a while b4 and didn't really read the 1s i missed.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,810
    An EOS is about the size of a Jetta.. maybe a little shorter, but with flared front fenders, that make it look a little wider... but, probably just at the fenders..

Just my feeling... It was sitting between a Jetta and a GTI at the car show..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• milestimemilestime Member Posts: 1
    I sat in both yesterday...I have a C70 on order for June delivery, however now I am confused! Yes the C70 is sleeker, but the EOS is a wider car with more styling in the passenger compartment, where I live! I think the moon roof feature is exciting, since obviously I am a fan of the outside, or I wouldn't be pursuing a convertible to begin with. Both cars are strong on safety. The price for the EOS is $10,000 less for a larger (width) car and a more accessible trunk space. My only issue from making the EOS a slamdunk decision is the drivers seat...rock hard on my delicate back. My Volvo S60 seats like a glove. I'm certainly open to feedback.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    I didn't know the EOS was available anywhere to sit in. Where did you find it?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• sobeg6sobeg6 Member Posts: 50
    Test drove all three and three different types of vehicles, although all hard top Converts!

EOS- Don't believe you're getting this car for under 35K b4 taxes. Drove test vehicle today after ordering one in May. Was excited all these months, but now not sure. engine felt decent as well as cornering, but felt light and more sports like ( feeling more bumps etc..) Only seen pics until today. did not like the look with top up and not much room in back seats. overall a nice vehicle but not sure about the cost now that I realize you can't walk away under 35K b4 taxes.

G6 -3.9 eng. Very nice pick up, very solid car. Not as great with cornering like Eos, but quieter cadillac ride. breaking was great, back seat room was better than Eos. You can really bargain with the dealer on cost for an 07 and walk away with premium pkg and sports pkg for about 30.5K

C70- slowest of them all, however very nice ride and great options, safety etc.. but again not in the same price range. Can't walk away for less than 45K b4 taxes.

So, pick your price point than you can figure which one works for you! All have poz and neg!

Although I have not owned an American car for the last 15 year, I think I'll go the G6 with all the pkgs and get extended warranty. Seems like alot of car for the $$$ Let you know what I think once i get one!
    C70- slowest of them all

I just saw a road test of the G6 droptop on Motorweek. They clocked it at a pitiful 8.4 secs 0-60. That's almost a full second behind the C70 tested in the various mags lately. So I think your seat-of-the-pants observation may be inaccurate.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

You "saw a road test" you did not drive both, and there is no way the G6 with the 3.9 eng is 8.4 secs, it clocks in around 6.5 -7. the 8.4 would be the 3.5 eng!!! You need to drive and do your home work before commenting!! good luck. :blush:
    qbrozen was right. Check the link at Motorweek where it is it printed http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2548a.shtml By the way gas mileage on a 3.9L G6 GTP is not too good. Was considering a G6 until I saw gas mileage. The 3.5 they use in the GT model is better but not great. G6 is a heavier car than an Eos. We finally got to test drive an Eos yesterday. Yes, it's not perfect but still not enough issues for us to cancel our order for one. We still have about 6 to 8 weeks more to wait according to our dealer.
    Thanks for the link, honestly think that is in correct. I drove both the 3.5 and 3.9, there is no way the 3.9 is over 7 and change seconds. every other mag i have read, has clocked it in the high 6's and low 7's, anyway, really does not matter in the end, as long as everyone is happy with what they purchase! I was just concerned about all the extra moving parts to make the sunroof/hard top open and close too convertible. Lot's more room for problems. The car did give a tighter sport like ride, where the G6 gives u more of that cadillac feel. Also the cost on the EOS is not what was published for the last year, when you walk away you're up to about 36-39K, where you can get the 3.9eng with all the options for about 31K, so I guess the money factor plays a part as well! good luck :)
    good luck with that because for 2007, there is no GTP convertible. Pontiac has discontinued the 3.9l v6 in favor of a more powerful and efficient 3.6l v6 which is also in the Saturn Aura xR. The 3.5 is the only way to have a g6 convertible unless gm is just taking their time on the convertible.

IMO the EOS is the better car (eos an g6) because for a lower MSRP, it offers more features. Don't discount the Eos on power because the v6 is right around the corner. Hopefully when Vws new diesel engine is made, we'll see a Jetta, Eos, Passat, Rabbit, and Gti diesel (touareg gets v10 so doesn't count for this.). All hope isn't lost, yet...

-Cj :)
    That's the problem with simply "feeling" a car. It just doesn't tell you all the numbers. Feeling fast and being fast are 2 different things.

Likewise, simply knowing the numbers doesn't tell the whole story. Like you said, buy and drive what you like. Its that simple.

I was merely pointing out that, by the numbers I have personally seen, the C70 is not the slowest.

Fear not, however, you can be sure there will be a 3 way comparison test in the near future and we'll have one source to reference, if we wish.

I'm not sure why you think the Eos is $35k. Although I'm sure that may be the case if you walked in and tried to buy one off the lot since most dealers will most likely order their overstock optioned up. But if you special order your own, you can have a $27,990 model, if you wish.

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I am not sure you can special order a VW. I am going to have to ask.
    The dealer will take an order for however you want the car equipped. The bad part is you will have to wait a long time unless they just happen to get one like you want sooner, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Barring something catastrophic, all the Eos will probably be sold. When we went to the dealer yesterday, we had an appointment with one sales person but there were some people ahead of us taking test drives. There seems to be a fair amount of interest in the car as more people hear about it
    Hey just so you know, they discontinued the GTP badge, however the GT (only model for Convertible in 07) you have the option of the sport package which gives you the 3.9 eng. If you select this package along with premium pkg your getting everything the 06 GTP offered, minus the GTP engraved in the leather! The Coupe will will still come in GTP and get the new engine, you must have misread. again the hard top convertible only comes in GT, but with sports pkg you get the 3.9 eng that the 06 GTP has! wish they were putting the new engine in the convertible as well! but honestly, drove the 3.9 and it's really fine.

PS- The Eos will cost you about 5-6K more, go to your local dealer, u will see the base price of about 28, but they will all be coming in with either a sport or luxury package and some other goodies, you will be lucky to walk away with 35K b4 taxes! nite ;)
  • crazybabydoccrazybabydoc Member Posts: 32
    Maybe its just my area . . . central NC . . . but I've seen two separate VW dealers carrying base vehicles through nearly the entire line.

I think the question of cost for an EOS will be a VW production question. If they make a bunch of them then it will be easy to find a base vehicle. The early iterations will likely be high $ but if they sell well VW will increase production.
  • jtregojtrego Member Posts: 68
    Strange to see a comparison of Volkswagon to Volvo (or even worse Pontiac to Volvo) You get what you pay for. More affordable maybe the G6, but GM cars are not known for longevity and you aren't getting the same craftmanship and materials. Sure, it may go faster...for awhile. I don't think there is any comparison here because the law of economics and supply and demand wins out in the end. There will be more g6's available in the US and more people will find this car in their price range. there will only be 6,000 C70 made for 07 for US allocation. So even if you want a C70 you may not be able to get them. That's why VW can price their EOS lower as more will be available.

There is no way I would spend more than 20k for a GM car and certainly no more than 25k for a VW. I have had experience with both and pontiac has never impressed me and I used to love VW when it was more reliable and affordable. 30k plus is way too much for a VW. Sorry.
    Add the sebring/avenger and 3 series to your list also! The 3 series has a hardtop and DCX is determing for the sebring/avenger.

just a thought...
    -Cj :shades:
  • bmw335xibmw335xi Member Posts: 11
    I love my Eos. I've got the 3.2 sport and I could not be happier. I looked at the C70 but its looks good but to me the I5 is crap in that car. :mad: I like my good get up and go power not cruising power. I like Volvos and the S40 but not this. The Volvo looks great inside and out but to me so does the Eos. Now a 2.0T Eos is a better matched for the Volvo. ;)
  • jecklesjeckles Member Posts: 87
    I agree the T5 is a bit pokey with the automatic trans. My problem with the Eos was getting a manual transmission. The options were packaged wierd to prevent us from getting the car we wanted with a manual transmission.... so we went to Volvo.

Once Volvo offered the free trip to Europe we were sold. VW sales guy just kinda stammered when we asked if VW had an overseas delivery program.

I'll tollerate the more luxury car style over the sportiness of the EOS for a free trip to Europe and a Manual transmission.
  • billyrbillyr Member Posts: 2
    Is a remote top control available anywhere for the 2008 Eos?
  • lancelotlinklancelotlink Member Posts: 18
    Yeah, that's a Free trip to Europe... he he he
This discussion has been closed.