Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Customer Service: The good, the bad and the ugly!

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    I know a lot of shops resent it when people bring in their own parts to be installed. Rather than lose the business they will go ahead and install the tires or whatever and they will usually charge more.

I can understand that when its something they sell. And, as a matter of fact, I try not to practice this because I feel guilty asking them to do it.

Problem is when they don't have what you want. For instance, the Nissan dealer didn't have synthetic oil to put in my Z. So I had to bring my own.

What makes no sense to me is when they don't have what you want AND refuse to install what you could bring them. This happened on my volvo. The mechanic said I needed new rear rotors. Well, ok, I have cross-drilled brembos on there. He would not obtain a set nor would he let me bring him a set. Well, guess what, you don't get to do ANYTHING on the car then. And they were aggravated at my attitude. I just asked, "what do you want me to do?? let you install solid stock rotors while leaving the cross-drilleds up front? How silly would that look?" They didn't have an answer.

On the discount online tire thing, I bought a set and had one of their "recommended installers" put them on. It was NOT cheap. IIRC, they charged me about $120. As Isell mentioned, that just about sucked up what I saved using tirerack in the first place.

I've also used discounttiredirect to get a full set of wheels with tires. That worked out much better. In the future, if I don't want new wheels, I think I'll just be going to sears for the tires and installation.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    >I'll just be going to sears for

I had inherited Sears for the warranty on my tires from NTB when NTB closed stores in this area. They won't do anything on my car again.

I went in for 7-10K mile rotations, free. They cross-threaded nuts and zip them on with their wrench. Then when they come off later, they freeze due to the heat of zipping them off fast. Then they wanted me to pay to replace the stud that was damaged. I wouldn't so they said they tightened it back up, as I told them to do, and I drove home.

When I got home I found they left the nut out, stuck. I warped the rotor driving it with only 4 nuts.

Sears had done struts on this car and twisted off a stud then, which they had replaced.

I wouldn't take my car there.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    The problem is everybody has a story like that. If we added up all the stores that royally screwed up something for one of us, there would be nowhere left to go. I think everyone uses similar flunkies for oil changes, brake work, tires, etc. whether you go to the cheapest chain, the dealer, or an independent. If they used mechanics with some common sense instead of their newest minimum wager, an oil change might run you $75-$100 and you would need to make an appointment a week or so in advance.

I am trying to go back to trying to do some of it myself.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Two things you can do that increase the chances of a better job.

First, make sure you watch what's being done (and that the tech knows you're watching), rather than reading a paper or doing other shopping.

Second, speak to the tech (nicely). Tell him that you've had a problem with a broken stud before and that you'd like the nuts torqued to the lower end of the recommended spec, say 70ft/lbs or whatever. It's not so much the technical specs, it's that you've now personalized the situation. He knows you've an understanding of the process, but you let him know that respectfully, which makes it a little harder for him to blow you off (though not impossible).

That's not to say you should have to do that, just that it can sometimes be advantageous to do so.
    Part of the problem is they don't clean dirt off the threads before bleeping the nuts off. And when they put them on, if they are cross-threaded, the mechanic never knows it because they zippppp it on with a power gun. I always have them hand torque to check mine.

But it's the damage from the speed gun on and off that is the problem. Hand wrenching like I do at home doesn't have this problem.

But the cheap mechanics love the power sound of the speed gun.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    But the cheap mechanics love the power sound of the speed gun.

ouch. ;)

i use an air gun at home ... i don't think i'm cheap ... wellll..... hmmmm....

anyway, the problem is that the $15/hr high school dropout doesn't know you don't have to have the airgun at max power.

Neither me nor anyone in my family has ever had a problem with going to Sears for tires. That's somewhere over 100 years of cumulative anecdotal experience. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    "I went in for 7-10K mile rotations, free. They cross-threaded nuts and zip them on with their wrench."

Well, that was your fault. You should not have your tires rotated.

You should always have your best tires on the rear wheels so there will be less of the rear wheels losing traction and causing a spin-out.

The front tires wear faster, so the best tires are naturally on the rear wheels. When the front tires are worn down, move the rear tires to the front and get new tires for the rear.
    I certainly hope you are kidding. Someone reading this might think they should NOT rotate their tires.

The engineers at the auto companies say to rotate and that's the only way to keep them from wearing unevenly. On FWD vehicles, at least the ones I've owned, the rears tend to wear unevenly perhaps because they have such a light load. Putting them on the front smooths out the wear extracting greatest wear from the set of tires.

I'll decide whether to have the best treads on the front or the rear, thanks anyhow. You must not live in snow country but I do.

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    By rotating the tires on my MINI every 5,000-7,000 miles I was able to get about 30,000 miles on them. I know that doesn't sound like much but when you think about how soft those performance summer tires are and how hard I drove that car that is pretty impressive.
  • astegmanastegman Member Posts: 171
    (none having to with cars, though).

(1)I sent an email to a woman who sells jewelry at craft shows in my neck of the woods, to find out where her next show would be. Normally, my town has an annual show in August, but they cancelled it this year. She responded - I went to her next show (about 30 minutes from my town). When I got to her booth, I identified myself and she was so pleased that she discounted the bracelet I bought.

(2) My friend was trying to place an ad in her local paper to sell her washer-dryer. She was having all sorts of trouble getting the ad to go through on line, and after various emails to the help desk, she finally gave up and called the ad in. The service rep was not happy that she'd had trouble using their website, so he ran her ad for free and threw in an extra week on the house. She was so pleased that she spoke to his manager, who replied that he'd buy that service rep lunch for the next week!

(3) I ordered several items of clothing from Lands'End, in separate orders. Two orders arrived on the same day. One box contained a robe, the other, pants for my son. The pants STUNK of cigarette smoke, but the robe did not, so I ruled out the UPS truck driver. I know the packages made various stops from Wisconsin (where Lands' End is) to my house, but it was weird enough that I decided to let Lands' End know, via email. Within the hour, they responded, and are crediting my account by $6.95.

So...three positive stories!
  • benzoservceguybenzoservceguy Member Posts: 60
    Hey ISELL ... do you work in So Cal?? Possibly for Howard??

On a separate note, what kind of special is HONDA running on a lease??

I need a 24 or 27 month lease on a stripper car (5 speed, air/cd/radio/ABS is all the basics we need)

Looking for approx 200/mo prefer w/taxes.

If you're wondering ... I can get a C class for 323/mo WITH Taxes (Employee deal - car is 5 speed with cd & sunroof - a real stripper) but the $$ is 100.00 too much per month.

Thankx for any info!!
    Benzoserviceguy
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    Mozilla Firefox 1.0.7 under W2K SP4.

When I select Catch Up under My tracked items, I have to do so twice before the "New" status flags disappear.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I originally posted this in the "Oil Change/fiascos" topic:

I was on my way to a family vacation in Hilton Head and hit a pothole, ruining the RF tire. I was driving the Club Sport, which does use a bit of oil(1 qt. every 2500-3000 miles or so), so I had checked the oil at every fuel stop AND when I got to Hilton Head. I NEVER needed to add any oil. Fast forward three days-I'm at the Hilton Head Tire Kingdom having my tire replaced. On the way back to the condo the CEL illuminates and I begin to smell burning oil. I pull over, pop the hood, and find that my oil filler cap is missing. I call Tire Kingdom and they treat me like an idiot- "Sir, you need to go back to the shop that changed your oil. We never opened the hood." That's funny; I drove the car from the KY to SC and never smelled any oil or noticed the CEL... Luckily, I found the cap laying on top of the top strut mount. After an hour of scrubbing and a roll of paper towels the engine bay was presentable again. My guess is that some idiot at Tire Kingdom thought the car was in for an oil change and got ready to pull the drain plug when someone yelled "No, Goober! That 'uns jest here to git the tar changed." So, Goober closed the hood without replacing the cap. Morons.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    When I select Catch Up under My tracked items ...

Please post that in Forums Software! Your Questions Answered....

tidester, host
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    ...My guess is that some idiot at Tire Kingdom thought the car was in for an oil change and got ready to pull the drain plug when someone yelled "No, Goober! That 'uns jest here to git the tar changed." So, Goober closed the hood without replacing the cap. Morons.

Don't you just love it when you take your car in to have them fix "A" and they screw up "B"? This kind of crap happens all the time and is the reason "they" (almost anyone that had ever touched my car) turned me into a DIY decades ago.

I would have been more than happy to plunk down my money and have someone else due the work the way it should be done but it seems that this is impossible to achieve. Now, if I can only mount my own tires, balance them and have the state of Pennsylvania allow me to do my own state inspections, I'll have accomplished something. What a dreamer I am.

Why should you have to hold your breath every time your car is out of your sight?

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

When they rebalance and rotate my tires I'm watching to be sure they rotate correctly. It's amazing how many don't understand modified X for GM FWD cars after they've done it for 26 years...

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Speaking as a guy who used to manage a large auto repair facility, there is another side to this too.

" It never did that before you worked on it"

" That scratch wasn't there before"

" You replaced my brakes and now my transmission leaks".

" My air conditioning isn't as cold since you rotated my tires"

And so forth...

I think there were two kinds of customers. Those who really thought their new problems were a result of something we had done wrong and others who were simply trying to get something for nothing.

Of course, we did screw things up once in awhile but we were quick to admit it and fix what we damaged.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Don't you just love it when you take your car in to have them fix "A" and they screw up "B"?

I've been pretty fortunate in that I have a couple of good indie shops as well a first-rate dealer for each of the two brands I own. I've never had a problem with any of them. What really got me about the Tire Kingdom debacle was the fact that they shouldn't have been anywhere near the underhood area. I also didn't appreciate being treated like I didn't know what I was talking about. I wasn't seeking any restitution- a simple "We're sorry." would have been sufficient.
    I think there were two kinds of customers. Those who really thought their new problems were a result of something we had done wrong and others who were simply trying to get something for nothing.

isell,

Yes, I know there are people like this. I hate to admit it but years ago I knew a guy (not to be confused with being a friend) who bought a welder at Sears to weld the frame and some sheet metal on his car (actually he knew someone who was going to do this for him but the guys welder was down for parts and the guy I knew didn’t want to wait). After the car was repaired, the guy took the welder back to Sears and told them the welder didn’t work. He told everybody about this, he was actually proud of it. BTW, about six moths later this guy was asked to seek employment elsewhere. I don’t know how he was hired to begin with.

Of course, we did screw things up once in awhile but we were quick to admit it and fix what we damaged.

This is the kind of shop that I would not have a problem dealing with if they weren’t nearly impossible to find. On a few occasions I did take my car back for rework and the problem was corrected and the shop actually seemed sincere about the situation. Therefore, I decided that I would give them another chance. By the time I went back to these places, the personnel had changed and I could see that I was in for another bad experience.

jmonroe

>we shouldv'e just told her so in the first place and not wasted her afternoon.

That's the one where you tell her you'll reschedule on a day when you can go there first and the job will be at no charge. You explain the items briefly that went wrong and that you made a mistake scheduling her on a full day after the first problem. Tell her you'd like to keep her business and take full responsibility for not being able to get there even though it really was one of those things.

If she accepts, you've kept a customer hopefully. If she doesn't when she tells the story to others she probably will say "He offered to come do the work for free but I was fed up." Others will hear the positive "job-for-free" and the good business PR will still be out there.

ahh - I've told them about it before and it hasn't gotten fixed (yet). ;)
    I'm not sure that this topic was intended to be used to report on Edmunds Customer Service .........not that I have any problem with that! :shades:
    I'm not sure that this topic was intended to be used to report on Edmunds Customer Service ...

It was not but we'll happily refund what you paid if you are dissatisified. :)

tidester, host
    I was a Division Manager for Sears at a very young age and you would not believe the things customers would do.

Sears "Satisfaction Guaranteed" policy allowed about any form of abuse you could imagine.

I don't know how they operate now but I can tell you about Costco since their corporate offices are in my home town and many of my customers work there.

They will take ANYTHING back, no questions asked, no receipt needed. I know a guy who bought a pressure washer, used it for two years and brought it back.

People would buy computers, use them for years and when they wanted the latest updated computer, they would bring them back and walk out with a newer, faster computer!

Costco recently changed this policy because of abuse. Now people have only six months to return computers.

I can't stand people who do things like this!
    I can't stand people who do things like this!

Totally agree. I cannot imagine having the front to act like that. I've had people like that in front of me when I've been making a genuine return and it's made me feel embarrased just to witness their performance.
    Long, long ago Rich's department store in Atlanta would take back anything. Some of the little old gracious Southern ladies would use a couch for a year or so and decide they didn't like it and return it for something. They would wear shoes out and then return them.

I was amazed when friends told me these stories and examples. Probably happened at all family-owned department stores which had a dedicated clientel.

• jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    They will take ANYTHING back, no questions asked, no receipt needed. I know a guy who bought a pressure washer, used it for two years and brought it back.

I used to work for a tool manufacturer and we had the same issue with Sears and others. A person buys a tool for a home project, completes the project, and returns the tool.

The tool gets returned to the manufacturer at their cost, reconditioned, and resold to the retailer. in 90% of the cases, the tool was cleaned in five minutes and repackages.

We ALL pay for these ridiculous return policies as the costs are built into the price.

Imagine if you had the same deal with cars/trucks ...
    Imagine if you had the same deal with cars/trucks ...

I can remember stories here about trucks on demo being seen leaving Home Depot fully loaded. :shades:
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    We've bought a lot of Sears stuff, mostly appliances, all from one saleslady.

There was a lot of window air conditioners in the fall in the aisle with 'customer return' tags. Saleslady explained how people bought in the summer, used them, and when weather cooled off, would return them.

Unbelievable to me that someone would do this. Or that Sears continues such a practice.
    I figured that you had. If she was that uptight, the damage was probably beyond fixing. You probably are better off without later repeat problems.

Reminds me of a neighbor down the road telling me about his current wife being such a witch for companies and demanding perfection. The local mulch/firewood/etc. business brings her mulch in a small trailer and leaves it for several days so she doesn't have the mulch messing up her driveway. Everyone else gets a truck dumping it on their concrete drive.

Her lawn care company gets the same demands--better not let a dandelion grow. But she pays a year in advance and has patronized both businesses for years.

• turboshadowturboshadow Member Posts: 338
    Two good tales:

1) My dad and I were working on something back in the 80s, and an old Craftsman rachet wrench had the ratchet mechanism fail. It was one of the really old ones that ou flipped over to get it to ratchet the other way. I told dad he ought to return it to sears, and he refused. When I asked him why, he said, "I don't think they had that policy when you grandfather bought this ting back in the 20s."

2) When I lived in GA, a friend of mine returned a wrench to the local Sears for replacement. While there, he noticed a 1 1/2" drive socket wrench. He told the salesman that he'd never have to replace that one. The salesman said he had replaced one just like it a few days before.

Apparently, this man bought some property in northern GA that had some old mining equipment, and was trying to remove some of it. He put his 1 1/2" drive socket wrench on it and started heaving. The bolt wouldn't budge.

He put a 12 foot length of pipe over the wrench handle and started heaving. The bolt wouldn't budge.

He chained his K10 Blazer to the 12 foot pipe and carefully tensioned the chain, and hit the gas. Te bolt wouldn't budge.

But the wrench broke and Sears replaced it.

Turboshadow
    I spent almost 20 years in the tool business and I can tell you that the majority of tools that break are strictly due to abuse.

And, usually they guys who break the most tools are the worst mechanics!
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Yup that is true. The entire time I ran my shop I can only think of four hand tools that actualy broke. Two were ratchets that had the ratchet part snap and both were over 20 years old.The just broke from age and being used many times a day.

One was a open ended wrench that had one end snap off. It snapped off because someone was using it locked up with two other wrenches to pry on something.

The last one that broke was a socket that had been hammered onto a damaged bolt and ended up spliting down the side from the force of the hammer.
    I broke a screwdriver trying to pry loose the brake drum on a 1961 Chev beater car (in 1979). Sears guy laughed when I asked if it was still warrantied because I was misusing it--he said pick whatever size off the rack you want to replace it with. I picked an even larger sized one. They kept a happier customer because of their approach.

I did cut up my Sears card over poor paint quality later.

• mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " I spent almost 20 years in the tool business and I can tell you that the majority of tools that break are strictly due to abuse. "

Mine must be the exception. I have a fairly large Craftsman socket set and the 1/2 inch rachet has broken twice on me, most recently just last week. Craftsman quality isn't what it used to be, their lawn mowers are junk.

But Craftsman really ticked me off when they changed the battery charger socket for the batteries used in their power drills. The charger went and I couldn't find a new one, so with both batteries dead, the whole thing was worthless. I just bought a new cordless power drill set. Think I bought a Craftsman?
    Craftsman quality isn't what it used to be, their lawn mowers are junk.

They have off-shored most of their tools. I am NOT saying that alone would lower the quality of the tools. However, they are using a cheaper quality of steel and that WILL make a difference over time.

I bought one of their oursourced pipe wrenches a few years back for a meeting. I was twisting the think in my hand and the hook jaw broke off ... no need for destructive testing.

Besides, the chairman of Sears Holding views himself as the next Warren Buffet and is unconcerned that his two brands - Sears and K-Mart - have declining sales month over month.
    ...And, usually they guys who break the most tools are the worst mechanics!

isell,

I agree.

Aren't these the guys that work by the motto:

"I COULDA HAVE FIXED THE DANG THING IF I HAD A BIGGER HAMMER"?

Yeah, I've met a couple of these guys too.

jmonroe

I bought one of their oursourced pipe wrenches a few years back for a meeting.

A management/union meeting perhaps?
    From the archives of Wikipedia. A car company with a real guarantee:

In 1920, XXXXXX first selected independent local dealers as the best way to take his products to market. He insisted that all sellers of his products must give the consumer the best in parts, service, and satisfaction. Always sensitive to consumers, his products were often less expensive than other name brands, but were guaranteed. XXXXXXXX "money back guarantee" paved the way for some of today's most outstanding sales policies.

Any idea who this car manufacturer was?
    I bought one of their oursourced pipe wrenches a few years back for a meeting.

A management/union meeting perhaps?

I only work in non-union shops - either as a laborer or a manager. Life is too short for all that nonsense.

When I was in the tool business, we purchased EVERY tool that hit the market.
    It was a joke, not a jab at unions. I was just wondering what kind of meeting you might have been going to that required you to take a pipe wrench. ;)
  • roundtriproundtrip Member Posts: 105
    Went to the dealership to get my first 5000 mile oil change. I made a Saturday appointment and let them know I had some funny creaking, groaning noises. They seemed to think the brakes were the cause. They told me it was b/c the pads were now made with more metal than asbestos. Also, I wanted someone to teach me how to put the gas cap on so the check fuel cap wouldn't come on. They said I needed to watch the line from the car to the cap and make sure it didn't get pinched. The receptionist was very amiable.

They had free drinks, chocolate covered donuts, and HG tv with Rachel Ray. However, even after moving seats twice, I still had a clear view of the men's room each time the door opened. And boy howdy did those guys ever have to visit the rest room. Must have been the coffee.

The really bad news is that the dreaded dash rattle started-up three days later. Don't know if there is any cause/effect relationship. Other than that, I can't complain.

P.S. The oil change was free, but if I had paid, it would have been only $23.00. Cheaper than Wally World!
  • dougb10dougb10 Member Posts: 185
    Some years ago, we had a cottage on a remote lake in Ontario. It was water-access only...parked the car at the marina for a 5 mile boat ride to the cottage, One afternoon I returned to go home. My '93 Bonneville was a leased company car. The key would not go into the ignition, no matter how hard I wiggled the steering wheel or the gear shift. A call to the 1-800 car leasing phone line brought a tow truck two hours later.
    I should have realized this was going to be an adventure...the tow truck door said "Bob's Bait Shop and Towing".
    "Gomer" took out a huge pair of vice-grips and started hammering the key into the ignition. A few minutes later. the broken key and various parts of the steering column were all over the floor.
    In order to tow the Bonneville, which was facing forward into a rocky cliff, he had to move it backwards so the front end could be lifted. He climbed under the rear of the car, attached a chain and winched it backwards.
    Half way to the GM dealer (about two hours drive), "Gomer" (looking in his side view mirror) asked me if the Bonneville had four wheel steering. We stopped and I noticed the left rear wheel was turned in at a crazy angle...obviously he had attached the chain to a tie rod and bent something seriously out of whack.
    The end result...."Gomer" had to pay about $600 to fix everything. This has to be a very funny experience...not so much at the time though.

Doug
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229
    I agree about putting the best tires on the rear, but if you rotate them regularly, they stay even enough that it doesn't matter. If you don't rotate them, many suspension setups will cause the tires to cup and they'll begin making a lot of noise.
    ..."Gomer" took out a huge pair of vice-grips and started hammering the key into the ignition...

At about this time I would have taken my 16 oz. ball-peen out of the trunk and worked on Gomer a little bit. Obviously using your hands on a brilliant mind like this would have been a total waste of time and you would have surely hurt your hands.

As I've said before, some mechanics work by the motto:

SOMETIMES YOU NEED A BIGGER HAMMER

When anybody brings a pair of vise-grips to work on anything on the interior of a car LOOK OUT !!!

jmonroe

• dougb10dougb10 Member Posts: 185
    "Gomer" was half my age and outweighed me by 50 pounds.
    The only thing that kept me from going nuts, was that this was a company car and ultimately someone else was going to get the bill. He wasn't worth going to jail over.

Doug
    OK. I'm hooked. How does the story turn out?
    "Gomer" was half my age and outweighed me by 50 pounds.

EXCUSES, EXCUSES !!!!

He wasn't worth going to jail over.

OK, you have a point there.

jmonroe

Took my car in for service today, slightly warped rotors and they were machined to true them up with no problems.

While there I met an elderly gentleman who brought his car in for service also. Got to talking and he told me his Check Engine Light came on yesterday so that’s why he was there. Pretty soon after our discussion the Service Advisor informs him that he needs an engine sensor that talks to the transmission and it will cost him close to $300 plus a $90 diagnostic fee. He goes on to say that his car is 3 months over the warranty period but it has half the mileage of the warranty period. I told him to go in there and tell them that they should pick up the bill for this or at the very least pay some of the cost. He refused saying, “it’s out of warranty I don’t have a leg to stand on”. I tried to convince him that he did but he refused. I even offered to talk to them on his behalf but he was adamantly against this.

In my opinion, given the above circumstances, the dealer (who ultimately would pass it on to the mfg.) should have picked up the tab for the repair without even being asked.

Since the dealer wasn’t approached with this issue I don’t know what they would have done if they were.

I’m beginning to wonder if I’ve bought from the wrong guy. I know I can take it to any authorized dealer for service and I will if I have to.

jmonroe

But when I am 100 miles over warranty miles I can't get coverage. Why should being 3 months over the warranty interval not work the same way?

tidester, host
This discussion has been closed.