Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Towing

Comments

• koolraulkoolraul Member Posts: 4
    Kip,
    Just got a 7-pin to 4-pin connector from my 4Runner to my boat trailer from my Toyota dealer yesterday. Haven't hooked the trailer yet but this should work fine. Thanks a lot for your response.
    Raul
  • jlabriejlabrie Member Posts: 10
    Greetings. This is a good thread. I am getting a 20' Haulmark Thrifty Car Hauler, and it sounds like I should be ok with what I've read. I have got a 2005 SR5 4WD with the V-6. I'm replacing the factory hitch with a weight distributing one (bolts to the frame on each side instead of the rear cross member), and am also getting an Equi-li-zer weight distribution hitch and a Prodigy Brake Controller. With the car in the trailer it's about 4200 pounds. The only question I have, is the trailer manufacturer can add 6" or 12" to the tongue, which he said makes it easier to turn. With the Equili-zer, I think I get that extra foot anyway, right? Also, from what I read it sounds like I don't want to be very long with the total trailer length. So do I need the extra tongue length or not? If not, it saves me about $100. :-) Thanks for any feedback.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Your going to get that extra length as you have suggested with the equalizer.

Good thing you are going to replace the factory hitch. I have read on several other boards that the V6 hitches are not built for a WD hitch setup.

Also, I have read where the later model 4Runners with the V8 hitch can fit no-problem on the V6 model. Those are made for a WD-hitch setup.

Also, remember your tongue weight (My 05 I believe 750 pounds). Good choice on he Prodigy brake controller, they are most highly rated!

Good luck!
    Thanks, Chuck.

I got my new WD hitch (like the one used on the V-8 4Runners) and installed it yesterday.

So when I was installing I ran into a few challenges. First, the factory hitch - unless you remove the bumper cover - is a pain to remove. There are 4 bolts that are behind the cover which give you very little room in which to operate - like 15 degrees or so. Takes forever to remove these 4 bolts.

That just took patience (and tired arms) to overcome.

I ran into two other issues. One is the electrical connection - is there a new bracket to use or a longer pigtail from Toyota that I need? Right now the thing just wants to hang there, and it just doesn't look finished to me.

The second is on the right side where the hitch mounts in its frontmost points, the tailpipe is in the way. How do I move the tailpipe so I can slip the 2 frontmost bolts into their threaded holes? The tailpipe is hanging on a rubber piece, but I didn't see how to remove it without breaking anything (which is what I usually do).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John
    Okay, I figured it out. Unhooking the rubber exhaust hanger just requires a little silicone spray (or WD-40) onto the two posts on the front side of the rubber hanger followed by a bit of pushing and prying. Once it was off, installing the bolts was fairly easy.

By the way, I don't recommend buying a Curt hitch if you ever do this, because while the hitch is really well made they forgot to create a place or bracket to which the 7-round connector would attach. I was able to attach the stock Toyota bracket to the frame after installing the Curt hitch, but I couldn't attach the connector to the bracket using the two holes/screws designed for that purpose because the hitch was in the way of the connector. So I zip-tied the connector to the bracket through two holes on either side of the connector, leaving about an inch of slack to allow clearance for the connector hood.

It actually works just fine, but it's not what you would expect when buying a new hitch.

Get a Draw-Tite or a Hidden Hitch instead.
    When I purchased my trailer, the power cord to the trailer was too short. Apparently this wasn't an issue for pickup trucks (my trailer was a slightly used rental) becuse they just used the bumper hitch and the connector next to that. But with the 4Runner it is underneath the vehicle, then you add the extra foot or so for the WD hitch, and the cord was too short. So I went down to the RV store and they showed me which power cord to buy, along with a diagram on how to wire the connector to slip on (like an extension cord) to the existing trailer connector.
    I was advised (by other froums) that this could cause extra electrical resistance and problems with my brake controller. This never happened and it's been over two years.

I do wonder though if I ever get caught in the rain if it would be problematic. So I might (one day) go down to Autozone and buy some of that "electrical conducting grease" and take apart the extension and grease the leads.

Happy Camping!
    Thanks for the heads-up on the electrical line. We had them measure it prior to getting the trailer and it was plenty long.

It turns out the SR5 4WD 4Runner tows pretty well considering it's just a V-6. We towed a Haulmark 20' Thrifty Hauler with 500 lbs of stuff in it (total weight 3825 lbs) about 2200 miles without any issues. Yes, the V-6 was hurting in headwinds and hills, but on the flats it did well. Using premium fuel we managed to get 10.5 mpg average for the entire trip. There were 2 tanks at only 6 mpg, but we also had tanks at 12 mpg, so it varied considerably depending upon terrain and wind. We averaged 55 mph for the trip including our stops, which were frequent (15 fill-ups).

The Equal-i-zer hitch made it an easy experience and did a good job of minimizing the effect of semis flying by; it could not entirely eliminate their effect. Particularly if the difference in speed between the overtaking semi and our rate of travel was 10 mph or more, the 4Runner would get sucked towards the semi as it passed. More specifically, when the front of the passing semi got even with the front of the trailer we would get pulled left into the semi. I learned to anticipate this (steer right) and that made it manageable, but found the safest way to travel (if the least fuel efficient) was to try and keep my speed up close to the posted limit (although 65 mph was all I wanted to go). That way the difference in speed was low enough that the pressure wave coming off the front of the semi wasn't powerful enough to suck us in as it went by.

There's no doubt the V-8 version of the 4Runner would've towed better, but my normal tow from now on is less than 50 miles each way and very flat as well, so it won't be an issue.

Thanks for the knowledge sharing and assistance. It helped to make our trip a safe one.

Oh, and one final thing. The Curt Hitch is fine - just get a bracket for the connector from etrailer.com or any good towing supply store. You will apparently have the same issue I had using any after market hitch.

Happy towing!
  • qsg1119qsg1119 Member Posts: 7
    Could you please share the hitch install procedure for the 4runner? I have an 06 4Runner V6 Sport Ed and just bought the hitch from toyota but it does not have the install procedure. There are also 4 loose plates included in the package, first 2 was for the side beams and the other 2 I think is for the hitch receiver??? :confuse: Dont know where to put these 4 loose plates :confuse: , by the way there is another loose plate that I think would cover the bumper cutout :confuse: , but my rear bumper does not have that cutout since it did not came with the tow hitch option when I got it. if you could share your install procedure and post the pics of your hitch install it would be a great help. tnx
  • txgolfertxgolfer Member Posts: 2
    I am shopping for a vehicle to replace two current vehicles. My wife's daily driver is a FWD Ford Escape. I want to replace this car and my 1999 Suburban that I only use for towing my boat. Since I want to keep costs (both initial and operating costs) down I would prefer a 2 wheel drive and a V6. Would like to hear from anyone posting their experiences towing with a 2WD V6 4Runner. My boat is 21.5 feet and about 3000 lbs dry, so I would guess wet and with trailer about 4000 lbs, maybe a little less. Would like to hear whether going V6 instead of V8 is a big mistake. Keep in mind that 90% of miles will not be pulling the boat and most trips with boat will be 200 miles or less over flat terrain (SE and Central Texas). Also, any optional or aftermarket equipment that I need to look for or add?

Thanks.
  • txgolfertxgolfer Member Posts: 2
    Oh, I forgot to add that I will be buying a USED vehicle - 2004-07.
  • mike4runner1mike4runner1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am relocating around 500 miles from NY to MI.

I am renting a 16 foot truck from Penske/Uhaul for my 2 bedroom furniture but would like to tow my 2006 Toyota 4runner LTD behind the truck probably on a car carrier.

Neither company would allow that saying the 4runner is too heavy for their trucks to tow. size wise I measured it and it should fit on their car carrier just fine.

Penske website states the car carrier Load Limitations is 4050lbs, the Toyota site states the weight of the 2006 4runner is:
    gross vehicle weight rating (lbs) 5,330, curb weight (lbs) 4,045.

I also was reading that the 18 inch wheels are too large for the car carrier. I believe my 06 4runner LTD has 18 inch wheels.

What if I rent a 22 foot truck and leave half the truck empty to compensate for the weight of the 4runner? I would hate to have to fly one-way back and drive the trip again with my car.

Any advice is highly appreciated. I considered towing the 6'x12' trailer from uhaul but my furniture wont fit in there and the wife wants it ALL.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Is there any chance that your wife could drive the 4Runner while you drive the truck?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    They are right - the 4Runner is too heavy for the carrier. You can drive it or ship it for around $500.00.

Good luck!
  • psimmons2003psimmons2003 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get an answer to this question? I just bought a 2006 4runner and didn't realize it didn't have the tow hitch on it. :cry: I too noticed that there has to be a cut out and there is not one on my car either. all help is greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks!
  • diegopdiegop Member Posts: 1
    I'm moving from South East Texas to Vancouver, BC (about 2,600 miles) and am looking at the possibilities for taking my stuff. I have a 2007 V-6 4 Runner and want to tow a 6' x 12' Uhaul Cargo Trailer. http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=trailer-6x12

Is it safe to make such a long trip with this equipment?
    What kind of hitch would I need to install?
    Do I need a cooler, etc?

I've never towed anything, so my concern is that I may damage the car. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    It seems these days that U-Haul will not rent a trailer to anyone (driving a vehicle) they deem unable to do so safely.

They still won't connect the trailers to Ford Explorers even though it was the tires and not the vehicle.

It looks like by the specs you provided you should be OK-but check your owners manual. Make sure your tires (especially in the rear) are at maximum inflation. DO NOT EXCEED 55mph. The tires on the trailer will not handle sustained highway speeds and high heat...they will blow for sure.

I tow a 21 foot travel trailer w/ an '05 Sport V8 (2WD). It has a tongue rating of 750 pounds and a total weight of 7,500 pounds for towing.

A transmission cooler and fresh transmission fluid is never a bad idea.

Good luck!
  • boats3boats3 Member Posts: 42
    How does everyone do without an Air Ride System? I just purchased a 2006 4Runner without the Air Ride and will be towing about 5000 lbs. I used to use a 2002 Jeep Liberty that did extremely well after I installed the Firestone Airbags which made it better. Do I need to do the same or install Air Shocks? Any and all coments is appreciated.
    First of all-check with your dealer or owners manual and determine what hitch you have. Do you have the one rated at 7,5000 pounds and approved for a weight-distributing hitch device?

Make sure you have a weight distributing hitch such as an Equalizer, Pullrite, etc. When you have this follow the manufacturers installation instructions.

In a nutshell after the WD hitch is hooked up to the 4Runner the front of the 4Runner should be within an 1" of what it was PRIOR to hooking up the trailer.

This procedure will determine if you need air bags in the back.

I tow a 5,000 pound 21 foot trailer trailer with a rather heavy 750 pound tongue weight and it does fine without airbags.

It does however have the X-REAS cross linked sport suspension system. If you have this system you will not have a problem. BTW- I am assuming you are not exceeding 21 feet in trailer length. At 109.5" the wheelbase of the 4Runner can't handle anything longer safely..
    I have the WDW hitch. Was ahead of the curve on that one being that I am just changing vehicles, not a novice just new to towing with a Toyota. The Camper is 22ft. all closed up 25ft. extended 450lbs tounge weght, it is an ultra light. If you are doing fine than I should be too. I am doing the fit test this weekend, still have the Liberty though. See my original post I was towing said camper with a Jeep Liberty which has a shorter wheelbase so I am improving. I upgraded to a V8 vice a V6 with the Liberty.
    Yes, you have nearly the same setup as I do. Except my 21 foot has a "hardslide" that comes out the back to make a total length of 24 or 25 feet once you get to where you are going.

The V8 has plenty of torque and is a great (if not a bit noisy) motor.

Let us know what your suspension system is.

Happy Camping!
    My slide is the same as yours, out the back. I will have to look at the suspension system to see what it is.
    I crawled under the car, read the manual, etc. can't determine for sure which suspension system I have, however, I just got back from a 400 round trip tow and had only 1/2" sag. Pulled great. No sway, no trailer pushing, like in my last tow vehicle, overall extremely happy with the purchase. Now if I can get the kids to be a little more quiet on the ride all would be grand!
    A 1/2"sag according to my WD instructions is acceptable.
  • nervo19nervo19 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a used factory tow hitch for my 2000 4runner. I know where the bolts go but do I have to remove the spare tire and rear bumper to install It? The rear bumper is rusty and I'm getting a new blade for it so when I finally replace it will I need to take the hitch and tire off to do that? I've searched this forum and have checked my Haynes Repair Manual and don't have answers. Apologies if I should have put this with the 1997-2001 forum.
  • peaceandquietpeaceandquiet Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I just went through a lot of trouble to find out about my '06 4runner V-6 and got a lot of misinformation from dealers and their parts depts. Finally, I got through to Toyota and was told that I didn't need a transmission oil cooler added because my 4runner has a towing package. As far as other questions I got my answers from good sources: go to Toyota website.
    Jody Colorado
  • jmwoelperjmwoelper Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 V6 came with the factory towing kit but I am wondering if the hitch receiver will be sufficient to tow my new trailer. I bought a 19' travel trailer with a dry weight of 3600 lbs. I will be using a Reese weight distribution hitch with sway control. Thanks for your help.
    Jason
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    I don't know if the V6s came with a hitch heavy duty enough for a WD device. Check with the dealer, or call Toyota with your VIN and they can help you. I do know the hitch from the V8 models will fit. Others have switched them out.
    Good luck!
  • killarneykillarney Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2008 V-6 4Runner with a Class III hitch. Just a few weeks later, I came to the conclusion that I need to be able to haul a horse trailer on short distances. The trailer will be something near, but less than, 3000 lbs, and my horse Ike is 1200-1300 lbs. Obviously, I can't haul a second horse, which will mean the weight in the trailer will be unbalanced, and I want Ike to have a safe and comfortable ride. I want to get a weight-distributing hitch, but am concerned by the messages I have read here that the V-6 hitch is not equipped to handle a weight-distributing hitch. I have contacted Toyota and Equal-izer online, but they could not tell me if my particular Toyota could use such a hitch.

Any ideas? I know my 4Runner is not ideal for what I want to do, but need to find a way, if possible, to make it work for limited distances and low speeds.

Thanks!

Does any
    edited April 2010
    Yes, for some reason Toyota stopped putting the heavier hitches on the V6. But I think your a little confused. First of the hitch HAS TO BE ABLE to handle a WD hitch DEVICE, the hitch itself does not distribute the weight. The WD hitch is actually a separate device.

Number One - you have to switch out the hitch on your SUV. I am told the one from the V8 bolts in, but please check. Or, you can buy an aftermarket hitch that can handle a WD device.

This is the WD device you should use after you switch out the hitch-

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

This device distributes the weight across the axles of both your trailer and the rig.

The V6 hitch cannot handle the downward pressure and must be switched out.

I tow a 21 foot(5,000 lbs.) travel trailer with the Equalizer WD hitch on my '05 4Runner Sport V8.

Here is the hitch info-
    http://www.racepages.com/products/?Ntt=Toyota+4runner+Hitch&N=4294963058

PLEASE NOTE-TO TOW SAFELY THERE IS NOT A CHEAP WAY OUT OF YOUR SITUATION!
  • zahrezahre Member Posts: 3
    I had the same need with my 2002 V-6 4Runner. I agree that it is not an ideal situation, but it is doable. We added an aftermarket hitch that would handle the weight distributing hitch. The problem with the weight-distributing hitch wasn't with the truck it was with the trailer. The tongue on the new trailer we bought was solid metal and not open. We would have had to modify the trailer tongue. The manufacturer would not do this, due to liability issues. Lesson learned, buy the trailer first before you buy the hitch. Make sure that this isn't a problem with your trailer. We never did use the weight distributing hitch. We hauled my daughter's horse to and from her trainer (about 10 miles) I really wouldn't try more than that. We just had a two horse wakthrough without a dressing room, so the trailer was lighter than yours.
  • thomabrithomabri Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning a mass exodus from Alaska to Colorado and I'm curious what size trailer I could pull with my V6 '01 4runner. I'm also curious what the max acceptable load would be.

I currently own a little 4x6 but I'm considering something as long as 16'. I'd plan to install trailer brakes for the larger trailer. Thanks for any insight you can shed.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    When I moved down to Idaho from Anchorage, I just sold everything that wouldn't fit in my minivan. I don't know squat about towing, but I'd want to try to keep the length and weight down as much as possible. Those frost heaves for the first 2,000 miles would be enough to take out your frame!

You may want to think about a transmission cooler too if you don't have one already.

You can check out towing laws for the states, provinces and territories here.

Have a safe trip!
    Bottom line is that you should not exceed your GVRW of 5,000. However, if you are moving I would think that you are going to have more "stuff" in your 4Runner, therefore I would be very careful, and as Steve said becareful of the ice on the road.
  • 054runner054runner Member Posts: 1
    I just got an 05 4runner, V6 2wd, and plan to tow my 19ft boat with it. Was wondering what gear is recomended for towing this boat??? My boat only ways at most 3000 pounds. Any help is appreciated!!!
    When towing you should always use 4. Double check your owners manual but I am pretty sure on this.
  • rgressleyrgressley Member Posts: 1
    I have a '93 17' BigFoot and need to purchase a used tow vehicle. I haven't towed the trailer yet. After reading reviews, I've decided the 4Runner to be a great choice. I would appreciate advise on the following:
    Did all V6 4Runners come with factory non-weight distributing hitches? Is it bolted to the bumper or axle?
    Would I have to replace that hitch with a weight distributing one or is it an add-on? Two anti-sway bars came with the trailer and its GVWR and GAWR are 3500lbs. with standard equipment. It lists a standard built dry weight of 2670lbs. with a hitch weight of 230lbs. With some optional equipment, four passengers, camping equipment, etc. could I get by with a V6 with a weight distributing hitch and additional coolers or would I have to go with a V8? Thanks, Ruth
    Search the web for the towing capacity of the 4Runner model year you are looking at. I believe the V6 is rated at 5,000 pounds. You don't want to exceed 80% of the towing capacity (4,000 pounds) so you should be alright. I don't know what year(s) but at some point Toyota stopped putting WD hitches on the V6. Again, a search will help you. Some have switched to an after market hitch or have bought the V8 hitch from Craig's List or a Toyota specific forum site. I understand it will bolt right in.
  • socrates50socrates50 Member Posts: 1
    Hello to all, and I'm hoping you can answer a question for me. I'm trying to determine which hitch I have installed on my '07 SR5 V6. The car has the tranny cooler installed and it appears to have the heavier duty hitch (frame mounted), but I'm trying to make sure. The hitch appears to be installed to the frame with six bolts, two in the rear and one farther up on the beams running parallel to the front/back axis of the car. It also has a seven pin connector. I'm asking because I want to determine if I can use a weight distributing hitch with it to haul a trailer which will be under the 5000 max. weight but the tongue weight will be between 5-600 pounds.
    At some point Toyota switched to a "lesser hitch" (on the V6) that will not hold up to a WD hitch.

Take your VIN down and call Customer Care at Toyota, they should know.
    Look at your hitch, my hitch has a weight limit sticker right on it on the driver's side. It is yellow with black writing. If the sticker is not there, Chuck1 has led you in the right direction.
  • gwg1951gwg1951 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at getting a new 2011 V6 4Runner. It says it has a 5,000 lbs towing capacity. My boat and trailer weigh 4,000 lbs. Has anyone towed this much weight with one of the newer V6 4Runners? If so how did it do?
    You have to keep in mind also how many passengers and ice chests, etc. This all takes away from the GVRW. What is the weight that will be resting on the hitch?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_gvrw

If your going to tow this boat and passengers with some cargo on a regular basis, I would suggest looking at a Full size 3/4 ton pickup. Look at the GVRW - it's a yellow sticker on the driver's side door jam. Also, I would assume the weight on the boat is the DRY WEIGHT. Once you add fuel, and other items it's going to be more.

I tow a 5,000 pound travel trailer with an 05 Sport Edition 4Runner w/V8. But it's rated at 7,500 pound towing. And my wife is the only passenger. Toyota, IMHO really blew it by not offering a V8 with the redesign.

Good luck!
  • kennerdriverkennerdriver Member Posts: 12
    Rule of thumb is that you should not tow more than 80% of the listed towing capacity. Thus, 4000 lbs is just at 80% of 5000 lbs, and hence should be okay.

Good luck.
    Towing capacity is indeed important. Most people forget about the GVWR.

If your in an accident, and even if in your tow rating, BUT OVER GVWR you have big problems.
  • shawni1shawni1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an 07 4Runner V6. It is an automatic. My understanding of towing is that if I am going to tow anything with an automatic transmission, the vehicle needs the transmission cooler. There is no record or information from toyota that states that my vehicle has a tranny cooler. Though the vehicle was built with a trailer hitch receiver. The dealer states Toyota never installed tranny coolers on 07's, and that it doesn't need it. Any help in this issue would be greatly appreciated!
    The cooler will be located in front of the radiator-it's very easy to see. Your dealer is an idiot. They can run your VIN and see exactly what it came with.

If your towing-you need a cooler. In addition, if your going to use a weight distributing hitch, you need to check to see if your receiver can handle one of these. At some point Toyota started putting receivers on that can't handle the load of a WD hitch. (I believe it was after '06)

If your trailer has electric brakes, you will need a brake controller mounted in the 4Runner.

I towed a 21 foot -5,000 pound travel trailer for 4 years with my '05 Sport Edition with a V8. The 4Runners are OK tow vehicles, the 110" wheel base however never gives you the confidence you need while towing. At 98,000 miles (it still ran great) I traded mine in on a Silverado, it's a much better tow vehicle.

Check your owners manual for maximum towing capability and DO NOT exceed 21 feet in length for your trailer.

Good luck!
  • shawni1shawni1 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your response.

So, even though the dealer is stating the car DOES NOT a transmission cooler, you think it does? The dealer claims the car is good, as is (without the cooler), and it doesn't need one to tow.
    edited October 2011
    Look for yourself. It's located directly in front of the radiator. It's in plain sight. It looks like a mini radiator.

Dealers know nothing about towing. Are you ready to put the safety of your loved ones at the knowledge of the dealer? Please read the following:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/equipment/towing/towing.pdf
  • rexi1212rexi1212 Member Posts: 1
    My family decide to purchase a travel trailer.would like to buy a 24 ft.I have no knowledge need some help.
    edited November 2011
    Go through the pages on this forum. Others, and myself have posted a lot of useful information. I towed a 21 foot travel trailer with a '05-2WD V8 4Runner for 4years. Please note due to the 109.5" wheel base, the 4Runner IS NOT an ideal tow vehicle. But can be used if you plan to stay mostly in the flat lands. Make sure your 4Runner has the hitch that can accept a weight distributing device such as an Equalizer hitch. This device distributes the weight among all 4 axles of the rig. The two axles on the 4Runner and the two on the trailer. Make sure it is set up properly. (http://www.equalizerhitch.com/). At some point (maybe '08?) Toyota starting putting lesser hitches on the 4Runners. The stronger hitches (from the V8 can be interchanged) on the V6s on those years with a lesser hitch.

Your also going to need an electronic brake controller, I would suggest the Prodigy brand.(www.etrailer.com) You can go to the Toyota dealer and buy a factory wiring harness to connect it, it makes it very easy.

I would suggest no longer than 24 feet, that is the maximum length that should be towed with a 109.5" wheelbase vehicle.

If your towing with 4 passengers I would highly recommend purchasing a bigger SUV or truck. You can get $9,500.00 off sticker on a new 1/2 ton Silverado, that is what I bought to get a proper tow vehicle for what I needed to tow.

BTW-there is alot of info out there-google is your friend.