Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus GS 350

Comments

• Options
    vfrazievfrazie Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the information re. the TSB. My GS is back at the dealership as I write. Hopefully, they will get it right this time. The initial quality falls well short of the Lexus promise...
  • Options
    datribdatrib Member Posts: 12
    You saved $8K off MSRP! Who cares whether I think that's good or not, your paying that much less than most of the rest. Count your blessings, dude. You did good. That' price is actually about as good as an employee discount.
  • Options
    Dealership resolved the brake problem. Lexus has apparently spec'd a new pad and considers the problem (correctly) to be a warranty matter. The car brakes much better and there is no noise. This was clearly a materials (pads) issue.

Dealership also seems to have fixed the creaking noise coming from the very front of the dash. They found that the wiper tray & wiper arms were rubbing against the windshield and adjusted. They also lubricated this area as well. So far it seems to be working.

Kudos to the Service Department...they recognized these problems were their problem and did not sniff around asking for money from me (correctly so). Not sure I would have gotten the same response from my prior dealer (German Company).
  • Options
    chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    Just curious, did they resurface the rotors when they replaced
    the (front) pads?

Regarding the warranty, Lexus will give you new rotors
    if they are warped before 4yrs/48K miles. My in-law had her ES300's warped front rotors & pads replaced for free during the
    basic warranty period.

The brakes noise & dashboard creaking noise happens
    when the outside temperature is around a freezing temperature.
    Was that the outside temperature where you live when the noises
    occurred?

Please keep us updated if the noises are really gone.
  • Options
    Yes, they resurfaced the rotors when they replaced the pads. Hopefully it won't be an issue but they are more likely to warp now that the rotors have been shaved. I will keep your "in-laws" experience in mind if I have a problem down the road.

As far as the noises are concerned, I picked up the car when it was around 10 above and happily do not have any issues to report. Between the elimination of the brake noise (pads were loud even when not squeaking) and front dash noises being gone, this is like a different car. Thankfully better.
  • Options
    carjunkie4carjunkie4 Member Posts: 7
    Just purchase a 2008 GS 350 and I am looking for mud guards and painted body side moulding. Can anyone point me in the direction of either product - dealers do not have these products.

Thank you
  • Options
    jwp350jwp350 Member Posts: 2
    I got my 2007 GS350 AWD in Jan 2007. I noticed the brake noise almost immediately but when the weather warmed up the noise went away completely but then came this winter again. I've had it back to the dealer but they say everything is normal. I guess I'll take it back again since one note indicated there is a new spec pad available.

I've noticed another noise issue from other vehicles when I pass (at highway speeds) them or they pass me....sounds the other vehicle tire noise comes directly into the cabin......BUT this only happens when the outside temp is above 70F. Does NOT happened below 70 . Dealer thinks I'm nuts but this is such a severe noise that I consider selling the car.
  • Options
    billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Thats kind of odd- the dealer does not have mud guards.

Do a Google search and you will see numerous retailers offering these products.
  • Options
    carjunkie4carjunkie4 Member Posts: 7
    I have searched on the internet. Found no dealers -- any suggestions.
  • Options
    mlabrinosmlabrinos Member Posts: 5
    I've owned a couple of Lexus' in the past and I'm considering buying the GS, but in driving loaner cars from the dealer and test-driving the new one, I've noticed that you can't keep the audio display to stay with displaying the XM song/artist info. You can hit the audio button, but it keeps reverting to the map display. It's kind of annoying, if you're monitoring the songs as they're coming across XM. Is there a way to keep the display in the audio mode. That has to be a setup feature. Does anybody know?
  • Options
    caoyijiancaoyijian Member Posts: 16
    I think you can modify the setup setting to just show the screen you want and don't come back to Nav screen.
  • Options
    That's what I thought too, but I couldn't find it in setup. If you know where it is in setup, please let me know.
  • Options
    I will try and let you know. I could be wrong though.
  • Options
    sasha5sasha5 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 GS350 with 3,000 miles. Have had an engine tapping sound from day one, and dealer states this comes from the fuel injection system and is normal. I find the noise to be like a valve tap and it drives me crazy. I can not believe Lexus can build a car with this noise. Anyone else experiencing this.??
  • Options
    There is function/option that turns on/off auto back to screen of Nav or Aircondition, You can turn it off to see what happens.
  • Options
    moolmanmoolman Member Posts: 129
    The engine tapping or ticking is normal. It's the direct injection noise. That is the reason that a v6 can pump out 303hp but still get good gas mileage. It's not that bad, you only notice it inside the cabin if you really listen for it. All car makers have the noise and all fo them will soon because that's how they get the hp while still getting good mpg. Unfortunately, all V6 cars will start doing it because people are shying away from v8 engines because of gas prices but still want the hp.
  • Options
    asteinbergasteinberg Member Posts: 138
    I'm trying to figure whether to go for Lexus GS350 or InfinitiG35.
    What is the rationale for spending more for the Lexus?
    They seem similar, in terms of power, specs, performance, size, trunk space, features....
  • Options
    sasha5sasha5 Member Posts: 2
    I had both cars and love Lexus more. The quality that goes into Lexus can not be beat.
  • Options
    tntmythtntmyth Member Posts: 70
    Well for me, the Infiniti G35 and Lexus GS350 happen to be two of the cars on my short list as I am also in the market for a luxury sports sedan.

My short list includes:

Infiniti G35
    Lexus GS350
    Cadillac CTS
    BMW 5 Series
    Audi A6

I realize that these cars are not necessarily all in the same class. But price is a factor in my decision.

In my area, South Florida there is an Infiniti dealer directly across the street from the Lexus dealer. So I had the chance recently to really have a close look at both the G35 and the GS350 in the same afternoon.
    First let me say that they are both nice cars. I think it comes down to "how much do you want to spend?" You can get a base G35 for less than $33,000, and that includes the 306 hp engine, RWD, leather seats, push button start, alloy wheels and a decent stereo. You can load it up and get a Journey model with sunroof, upgraded stereo, navigation and 18" rims for about $37K. Very nice car and hard to beat for that price.
    But if you take a close look and compare the two cars, the Lexus GS350 is simply much more car than the G35 is. And it costs about $12,000 more, as it should. I suggest to you...sit inside the Lexus, take your time to linger there and notice the attention to detail. The gorgeous wood on the console and dash, the perfect tactile feel of the buttons, the ashtray covers, the suppleness and rich smell of the leather, the perfectly comfortable seats, and just the overall richness of the vehicle. The G35 is nice, but just not up to the level of the G350. I note that the lexus GS350 is basically equal to the original GS430 with a V8 that came out in 2005. Edmunds gave the GS430 the nod in a comparison test over the Infiniti M45 and the Acura RL. See the test here. http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=104808/pageNumber=1
    The new 6 cylinder in the Lexus GS350 is just as fast, maybe faster than the GS430 was and gets better gas mileage. And the GS 430 was a $60,000 car. For me, if you want the rationale for choosing the G350 over the G35, there it is. The GS350 is simply a gourgeous car and a higher class that the G35.
    Again, this does not take anything away from the G35. The G35 is a super nice car for its class. It''s faster and handles better that the GS350. Its also about $12,000 less, optioned equally. If you are looking for a sports sedan with more performance and less, money, then the G35 is the right car. But if you can afford the extra $12,000, and looking for more prestige and luxury, it's worth the time to really compare and decide for yourself if you appreciate the difference between the two.

Another car you might consider which I think falls somewhere between the G35 and the G350 is the 2008 Cadillac CTS. You can get a CTS for between $35K and $45K. And it's a very nice car. IMHO, more luxurious than the G35 but not quite as refined as the Lexus GS350. Again the performance will be excellent, but not as good as the G35. The ride will be quieter.
    You need to decide what you want out of the car you buy and which features are the most important, and in what order. Do you primarily want performance, price, prestige, nicer interior, sportiness, gas mileage? Then take a close look at your short list and make the best decision for you.
  • Options
    What quality?
    The front brakes make noise in cold weather.
    The dashboard/lower windshield makes a tick noise in cold weather.
    These issues have been carried year over year, model to model.
    I wish I did some research before buying this POS.
  • Options
    I think the G35 is more comparable to the IS350 than the GS350. I have owned two Lexus' in the past 5 years: the RX350 and GX470 (which I currently own). I must say the quality of Lexus has gone down over the last few years. I've had a number of issues with my GX. I'm shopping for a sedan right now, and I've test-driven the GS350 and the GS460, as well as other cars. I've come to the conclusion that the best car for the money right now is the Cadillac CTS. It's in the same class as the GS for the price of an IS. You can buy a fully loaded CTS for around $41-42k with the performance package and it's a much better value than anything in that price range. I figured why not support a domestic brand since they finally have a great car for a decent value. :)
  • Options
    asteinbergasteinberg Member Posts: 138
    Thanks for all for the advice. I prefer sport, someone in my back seat probably wants luxury. Leather and wood don't matter that much, my kids trash things. But I don't want something tinny, that makes noise or is cheaply and incompetently assembled. Safety is important but the 3 cars below seem simillarly safe.
    I can afford more, but I want value, related to how much the MSRP is discounted. Then, I need to know interst rate on purchase, vs. interest rate or money factor for lease. I can NOT yet get a fix on those numbers for Cadillac CTS, Lexus GS350, and Infiniti G35. I like all three cars. I've liked my BMW530I performance/handling but find its radio/satellite and navigation system dysfunctional; all three of these cars better in that respect. CTS dealer will install unotrusive blue tooth for $495, which actually is plus, giving me separate screen.
    Overwhelming numbe of reviews favorable on all my choices, with a few people having problems with each of the three.
    I don't care about price, nice interior (my kids mess it up). I want performance, user-friendly ergonomics and simplicity (example: quick to turn on defroster without looking for it repeatedly and taking my eyes off the road).
    Gas mileage is a factor (tired of subsidizing Mideast oil).
    All three have similar mileage, though G35 a bit better.
    But CTS uses regular.
    Thanks, everyone for your patience.
  • Options
    tntmythtntmyth Member Posts: 70
    Check the gas mileage specifications on all 3 cars. According to EPA estimates, Lexus GS350 gets the best mileage of the three:

Lexus GS350 19 city 27 highway
    Infiniti G35 17 city 24 highway
    Cadillac CTS 17 city 26 highway
  • Options
    Infinitis have the worst gas mileage by far. If your choice is sporty, gas mileage number on the window sticker becomes secondary. It is highly dependent on how the car is driven.
  • Options
    patty17patty17 Member Posts: 1
    I want to be able to override the navigation system so the passenger can use it while the vehicle is being driven. Friends with a 2007 know how to break the code on their vehicle but it doesn't work on the 2008. Anyone know how?
  • Options
    limakslimaks Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to ask you if it is possible to use GPS NAVIGATION from USA in EUROPE ?

I bought Lexus GS 350. I live in Europe. Please answer as soon as possible.
  • Options
    tom17tom17 Member Posts: 134
    I went looking for a GS350 with the dynamic cruise control option. My local dealer (Melbourne, FL) did not have a single Lexus (even the $120K+ LS600h) with the dynamic cruise control. Salesman said that people are not happy with it so they dont carry it. Has anyone bought a Lexus with this option? Are you happy with it? Salesman said that it is confused by cars in adjacent lanes. Is the system really that bad? I know the local BMW and Infiniti dealers have many cars with the option.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    I just bought a new GS350. What a great car! But when I put my factory CD's (not copies or MP3's), the system does not display the CD name & track info. I can get to the menu where the info is supposed to be but it says "". They work fine when inserted into my PC (displays info for every track). Looked thru the manual which says the data is supposed to be displayed automatically. Anyone seen this before and know the fix? Thanks.
  • Options
    onyx68onyx68 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2007 GS350. How do you break the code?? thanks.
  • Options
    ben721364ben721364 Member Posts: 22
    Please point me to a forum where things such as TSBs, service
    quirks, weaknesses, etc. are discussed.

Thanks.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    What would you like to talk about? Just ask and we'll try to help!
  • Options
    sanderss1sanderss1 Member Posts: 1
    Where is the oil filter located on 2008 GS350?
  • Options
    Thanks. I am interested in any TSBs that may have been posted on the '08 model am also interested in brake pad wear experience. I have heard of instances wherein conservative drivers have had to replace pads at less than 20, 000 miles! This is unacceptable to me.
  • Options
    Not sure about the location, but it is not a normal screw on cartridge filter like most filters. Apparently it is an element inside a housing with a special o ring seal that must be replaced, just like my first car - a 1958 Triumph TR-3a. Really advanced technology in these Lexus. Normally I would change the oil / filter myself, but in this case I think I will let the dealer do it, even though they charge over $100 for the oil change and tire rotation !!!
  • Options
    blacklexus1blacklexus1 Member Posts: 1
    My 07 GS350 does the same thing. Have had it back to the dealer several times and have spoken to many people at Lexus. I get the same story - this is an inherent noise with the GS 350 related to the high pressure fuel pump needed for the power provided by the six cylinder engine. "they all make that noise" is not an acceptable answer to me. I'm going to Lexus corporate next. I can't believe a car this expensive sounds like an old sewing machine at idle, and I'm supposed to accept it like this.
  • Options
    richg44006richg44006 Member Posts: 1
    Tom,

I have a 2007 GS350 as well (and I love driving the car too!). I have the Navigation/Mark Levinson Audio pkg, and it most of the time, it DOESN'T display the CD name & track info. Certain CD's will always work every time while others never display anything. Some CD-R that I burned from my laptop show Name and Tracks but others not. I haven't figured out why this happens. I have brought it back to my Lexus dealer a few times about this and they just say, it works as expected (whatever that is suppose to mean). When I put any of these in my laptops, I always see everything. Is this so difficult for them to make work?
  • Options
    I was told by the Lexus Service Rep earlier today that Lexus will be coming out with a new TSB to address the brake noise problems many of us have complained about on our GS350s. Has anyone else heard about this? If I learn more, I will report to all.
  • Options
    v312155v312155 Member Posts: 14
    Approximately 6 to 9 months ago my Lexus dealer fixed the brake squealing and since then, no problems. Lexus mechanics are aware of the problem. By the way, I love my AWD GS - best car I've ever owned.
  • Options
    My 07GS350AWD has a brake squealing noise during the
    winter. Will see if the squealing noise comes back this winter.
    The ticking windshield noise already came back last few cold days. May have to fix this under a TSB.

Oh, my passenger side mirror couldn't move up/down.
    The part is on back order. Already one month.
    Dealer said he already saw a few with this side view mirror problem.
  • Options
    jon75jon75 Member Posts: 7
    This car has a direct injection system, and a steel timing chain, which is unusual in today's cars, but is necssary to get the performance that you enjoy in the GS350. The "tapping" was there when you bought the car. A more conventional port injected system would produce a quieter engine, but you would lose performance. How many cars do you know of that produce 303 HP and can get 27-28 mpg on the highway? I have an 07 GS350, and my complaints are not with the engine noise, I understand that, but with the creaks and rattles in the cabin.
  • Options
    The ticking windshield is covered under a TSB. The squealing brakes are also covered under a TSB, and they will replace the front pads, machine the rotors, without charge, if you ask them. Both fixes worked great.
  • Options
    The General Motors di 6 cyl. engine produces similar hp, torque and fuel efficiency and is quieter...
  • Options
    I have the TSB. But I am not ready to bring the car in yet.
    If the ticking noise is unbearable, then I will.

My 07GS350 AWD has a run flat tires. I don't know if it's the tires
    or not. It happens very time when I let my foot off the gas pedal
    at speed 65 mph.
    The speed slowly gets to the 60 mph, then I hear a gentle whistling sound from the front wheels. The sound goes away
    when speed goes below 55 OR if I keep my foot on the gas
    pedal and keep the speed steady at 60 mph.
    Does anyone experience the same thing?
  • Options
    As regards the run flat tires, I have owned/driven two cars with them and both were noisy, embarrassingly so. In each instance, they were relatively quiet for the first few thousand miles, then got progressively worse. They [run flats] don't provide much feedback from the road either.
  • Options
    rgalluccirgallucci Member Posts: 16
    I had serious pulling issues on uneven roads with the run flat tires on my GS350. The dealer replaced them with Michelin all season tires and the issue cleared up. Great tires, and I am now a fan of Michelin tires.
  • Options
    I have not experienced the whistling noise you refer to. I guess it could be the run flat tires. I am not a big fan of them, either. When I replace them, it will not be with run flats. Maybe that will help with some of the creaks and rattles, too. That's my Christmas wish.
  • Options
    Run flat tires are a good idea for the future but are not yet ready for prime time; based on my experience with two run flat tire equipped cars.
  • Options
    Got my passenger's side mirror assembly replaced yesterday.
    The mirror didn't go up or down.
    Next the inner rear mirror. There is a TSB for it.
    Need to confirm if the mirror vibrates when the moon roof
    opens at high speed.
  • Options
    datribdatrib Member Posts: 12
    The side mirrors are interesting. My D/S wouldn't go up and down so took it to dealer. They said nothing wrong with em and the mirror worked when I picked up the car... A few days later it went out again and I took it back to dealer .. same thing. So they ordered a new mirror but by the time the mirror was shipped to the dealer my mirror miraculously started working on its own. Hmmm..
  • Options
    My service rep told me the problem would fix itself and goes
    back again. Indeed, it did. I had to disable the mirror up/down
    feature in back-up mode. I didn't want the mirror stopped at
    the lowest position which I couldn't see anything,
    It took more than a month for the assembly to arrive.
    My service dealer did a great job of replacing it, puting back
    Simonize & 3M.

On the mirror issue, if your car has a VIN number less than 8xxx,
    the inner rear mirror could vibrate when you have the moonroof opened at high speed. I can see why it happens. Unlike other cars I have, my 07GS350AWD rear mirror is a bit shaky. A strong
    wind could vibrate the mirror. There is a TSB for this issue.
    Will confirm this vibration problem on a warm sunny day before calling dealer.