Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 350

Comments

• BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    FWIW...I have an '07 GS with 18" wheels and w/o run flats and the car has a boulevard ride. Reminiscent of my uncle's 1969 Cadillac Sedan de Ville when I was a boy. I have heard from many people with run flats that noise and a harsh ride are due to the tires.

As for L.A. being the pot-hole capital (and I'm an Angeleno born and raised), you obviously haven't been to Detroit.
  • rgalluccirgallucci Member Posts: 16
    I replaced the run flats with Michelins the it made a vast difference in the ride. Also the run flats have a tendency to pull to one side or the other when the road surface is uneven.
  • lz4004lz4004 Member Posts: 37
    I was quite suprised by the stiff ride in my new gs350 after driving my ls 400 for the past 12 years, soft and quiet hardly hearing the engine. The gs350 is more of a sporty car ride giving up the ls400 ride.
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    Same here with my 07GS350.
    Lower the tire pressure about 2-3 psi would make a big difference.
    My 07GS350 does not do that.
    When it's put on Auto, it will switch between fresh air & recirculate depending on the setting temp., outside temp, and ambient temp
    and will come back on after the engine is restarted.
  • ara3ara3 Member Posts: 10
    That's because yours is working correctly. Unfortunately, mine does not. Periodically, on start-up, the auto light goes off and stays off and the system is then in manual mode. I have to push the auto switch twice to get it back to auto. According to the Lexus powers to be, this is normal and all GS cars do this. According to me and to the arbitrators, there is a defect. Problem is that they either don't know what to do (amazing) and/or they choose to not admit fault. Very proud folks, for sure. So, for the time being, I just deal with it. Rest of the car is fine. Problem is management and lack of honesty.
    Unfortunately, no. They say it's normal. It's not. It's a defect and I guess they don't know what to do so they just lie. Good luck.
    It's not normal and your 'defect' can be programmed correctly by a Lexus technician. Have you tried another dealership?
    You speaking with authority or speculation? Have not had anyone else but the dealer look at it + FTS and every other authority in the company. Actually, once Lexus said it is normal (lie), my dealer (and any other) is not allowed to "repair" it for fear of doing something that "does not need to be done"..... Catch my drift? Any suggestions?
    Thanks for your interest. Feel like I've been there, done that.
    I'm not an authority but neither am I speculating. When I closed the deal on my GS, the dealer gave me a list of items they can program for free when I took my car in for the 1,000 mile service. Among items on the list was HVAC configuration. Check your closing docs when you bought the car. Some of these are in the manual but many were not (i.e. lighting preference, navigation set-up, etc.)
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    I am not a GS owner but I did cross shop it with the current Acura Tl that I own.
    Question- what exactly does Lexus do for the 1K mile service and how much does it cost? Personally, I dont see why a car needs any type of service at 1k miles.

When I was car shopping last year my co-worker knew I was in the market for the GS. He had just came out of a GS lease and warned me to stay away because the service cost are insane- he even brought in all his service receipts to show me.
    My wife has 27,000 on her 07 GS350 and other than new car issues we have never taken it to the dealer.
    When i purchased my new 2008 gs350, I was told at 1k service was free, any adjustments, exc. I didn`t need that service, so my first service was free oil change after 3 months. I had an appointment and waited about 2 hours, after traveling 40 miles to and from dealer. The next oil change was going to be free as well, but i went to a local lube place instead. Warranty is still covered..After putting on 9k total mileage a year and a half later the brakes started squeeling. At the time there was a service bulletin on the brakes, found that on edmunds. The dealer said depending on condition of the brakes would determine if they would cover it or not. To my surprise they replaced new rotors,pads and shims, no charge. So for going back to the dealer for routine visits is 50/50.
    I have the same brake problem with my '07 and the dealer said it was normal. Can you tell me where I can find that service bulletin?
    This lexus service bulletin was found on the gs350 forum. Bulletin # sb0040
    (squeeling front brakes and excessive brake dust). This was for 2008 model.
    not sure about your 2007.
    I just found the service bulletin for your 2007 gs350 brake problem.
    # sb0015
    Thanks - is there a link for that TSB?
    2007-2008 GS350 AWD- TSB-0040
    REAR DRIVE TSB-0015

alldatadiy.com/recalls">
  • maxy2maxy2 Member Posts: 10
    awesome, i love this car
  • arejay9898arejay9898 Member Posts: 1
    Wait till you start getting Brakes problem, lots of squeaking problems with 2007, I am going through hell.........
  • kvaillancourtkvaillancourt Member Posts: 16
    This should not be that difficult; 1st: you are entitled to one free brake replacement under the TSB. 2nd: if you have already taken advantage of this, try a Lexus/Toyota repair shop other than the dealer and they will save you approx. $100 or more on the charge of the replacement. Also, make sure you clean your wheels a minimum of once a week. With the sport brakes you need to clean off your wheels to avoid the build up. good luck
    The TSB 'brake replacement' you mention (I think) regards the hi-performance pads that came with 2007 & 2008 GS with the 18" wheels. The TSB had to do with brake dust - not squeals.

With that said, I also have the brake squeal issue with my '07 GS (22,000+ miles). The noise has already been acknowledged by the dealer and I will have the brakes & calipers replaced under warranty when the recall on the springs are done (sometime next month).
    Excellent; I have found over the last 20 years that if your Lexus dealer is not taking care of you then switch. If their are limited choices, work up the line of command with customer service and you will get satisfaction People complain that the service schedule is expensive, but if you are faithful to your service advisor/dealer you will see miracles worked. I have been using the same dealer for 20 years. Squealing is not acceptable. Subscribe to Alldata for details regarding the TSB's etc.. Be armed before you even approach your service advisor. Also, "join" club Lexus (no fee) and learn from others what our problems and how they get them solved.
  • smr36smr36 Member Posts: 59
    I have '07 GS 350 w/ 18" wheels. When I took it to my non-dealer mechanic he said I needed to replace the front brakes, including rotors. They were not squeaking when I brought the car in. Cost $65 for front pads and $269 for rotors + labor. He said Lexus doesn't leave enough surface to grind (repair) rotors on the GS. I've used this guy for years and believe he's honest. Maybe I should have brought the car to the dealer.?? Anyway, water under the bridge. Car still drives great after 3 years. Nothing I'd rather drive. Have others replaced front brakes and NOT needed to replace rotors?
    You didn`t mention how many miles you have on the brakes? Anyways, all the cars made today have thin disposal rotors.
    I was told by Imy Lexus dealer that they CAN turn the rotors.
    checkout www.tomorrowstechnician.com/article703 brakes and rotors
    Confirmed with 2 Lexus dealers; they do turn the rotors is sufficient "material" remains. Only the ISF with slotted rotters are replaced. Per advisor from Lexus Escondido Lexus does not follow BMW, Audi, and others with respect to disposable rotors. Make some phone calls and you will confirm.
    I have checked with 2 Lexus dealers and this is crap...Lexus turns rotors if their is sufficient material remaining. I would question this shop.
    I just took my 07 GS350 in for a 30,000 mile service and Lexus dealer quoted me $850. I checked with my local repair shop and they quoted $450 for the exact service. I am using the dealer because there is a list of things to do but it will be the last time. Up until that point I hadn't used the dealer for any service. I needed brakes and rotors and the dealer said the brakes were only good for 15,000 miles. Brakes should last at least 30,000 miles, so I am going to check with my local repair shop to see if there is a alternate pad available. Front brakes were $760, just for the pads.
    That price for just pads is way out of whack!
    That price is crazy; 1) I just had my front brake pads replaced and rotors turned due to TSB; excessive brake dust, etc. Let me know if you need the exact TSB number. Dealer had no issue doing this and they replaced the pads with the redesigned pads that do not produce as much dust. In fact, I only have to clean my wheels when I wash the car, not every other day. 2) My 30k service was $535 at my Lexus dealer and this included a new battery. 3) 15k miles for the original equipment pads is about right based on your driving, but with the newer design I am confident I will see 30k miles or more. Good luck...This is poor customer representation by Lexus that their is so much difference in quoted prices from dealer to dealer.
    edited November 2010
    $450 sounds right for a 30K mile service at Lexus dealership.
    Mine was $425 (w/out new battery). Still have the original battery.
    $760 for front brake pads is a highway robbery!
    If your car is still under 4 yrs/50k mile warranty and the front brake is squealing, you can bring the car in and ask for TSIB 004-09 service,
    free of charge. New front rotors & pads.
    My car still has original rear pads after 50k miles. Thr front pads have
    18K miles after the TSIB service.
    My dealer told me the TSIB service on the brakes squealing is covered for the first 12k. The 4 yrs/50k warranty does not cover pads or rotors. I called Lexus Support, they confirmed that.
    edited November 2010
    Shame on your dealer and Lexus support. Also there is no such thing is pro-rated (from some BS dealer). I couldn't attach the TSB.
    So here's the copy & paste from the TSIB. Some pictures are missing. The TSIB applies to 2007 & 2008 GS350 AWD.

Vehicle » Technical Service Bulletins » All Technical Service Bulletins » Brakes - Front Brake Squeal/Squeak In Cold Weather Notes

Brakes - Front Brake Squeal/Squeak In Cold Weather

L-SB-0040-09

April 17, 2009

Front Brake Squeak (AWD)

Service
    Category Brake

Section
    Brake (front)

Market
    USA

Applicability

Introduction

Some Lexus customers may experience a squeal or squeak noise in cold weather conditions from the front of the vehicle when lightly applying the brakes. A new anti-squeal shim kit brake pad kit and disc brake rotors have been made available to address this concern. Use the following repair procedure to address customer concerns.

Warranty Information

^ This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

^ Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Parts Information

Repair Procedure

1. Conduct a road test to verify the noise condition. Noise usually occurs during stops with light pressure applied to the brake pedal.

This procedure is for the right-hand side. Perform the same procedure for the left-hand side.

2. Remove the front wheel.

3. Remove the anti-rattle spring hole pin and clip.

4. Remove the front brake pads with the anti-squeal shims from the caliper assembly.

5. Remove the caliper assembly.

NOTE Do NOT allow the caliper assembly to suspend by the flexible brake hose.

6. Discard the original brake pads shims and disc rotor.

7. Install the new disc rotor.

8. Reinstall the caliper assembly.

9. Install the NEW No. 1 and No. 2 anti-squeal shims on the brake pads. Do NOT apply any grease to the pads or shims.

Only alternative front brake pads can be used with this application. Alternative front brake pads (P/N 04465-30400) are green in color.

A. Install the No. 1 anti-squeal shims (112 mm wide) with the coated side toward the backside of the brake pads.

B. Install the No. 2 anti-squeal shim (117 mm wide) onto the No. 1 anti-squeal shim with the coated side away from the brake pad.

10. Center the No. 1 and No.2 anti-squeal shim locating tabs in the brake pad guides.

11. Install the inner and outer NEW brake pads with the NEW anti-squeal shims into the caliper assembly.

NOTE Ensure the pads with the wear indicators are installed on the inboard side of the calipers

12. Install the anti-rattle spring hole pin and clip.

13. Ensure the shim locating tabs are properly centered on the brake pad guides.

14. Complete the repair by installing wheels and torque wheel nuts.

Torque: 103 N*m (1050 kg*cm, 76 ft*lbf)

15. Road test the vehicle to confirm the front brake squeak is NO longer present.
    You need to find a different Lexus dealership; I just had my rotors and pads replaced under this TSB @ 32k. I looked up the actual TSB and it states the following: APPLICABLE WARRANTY

^ This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

I just can not believe the bad information in the market place, especially Lexus dealers trying to take advantage of their customers..
    Just curious if anyone has it done yet.
    Yes, maybe.I had the TSB service done at 9k when the dealer told me it had to be done before 12k..as long as the brakes were not abused with excessive wear.Com On-only 9k. The poor guy that got ripped for $750 for the brake job should find another dealer!
    No,but i just got the recall notice last week. They set me up with an appointment
    on 12/15 with a loaner.
    Thanks for posting all this info. Why the bad info from the dealer and lexus support?
    Talk about bad info; Just today fedex told me to pickup my package at wallingford, ct.pickup center at such address. Package wasn`t there. Come to find out there are 4 pickup centers in that town. I had to go to all 4 and finally got my package!
    Because they have access to the TSIB. They should know if the repair is covered by the warranty or not.
    For the same repair, they get paid more by the customer than the Lexus warranty.
    FWIW,...two months after buying my '07 GS350, the dealer changed my pads under the TSIB regarding heavy brake dust.

Present day (actually, last month), my '07 GS350 had 24,000 miles. Took the car in for the valve TSIB. Also asked them to investigate why the front brakes squeak. During this service visit, the TSIB was done, replaced the spark plugs during the process (as I requested), changed the battery as it wasn't charging properly, replaced the front pads along with NEW front rotors (rear was OK with 50% life remaining on pads) and replaced the battery in my key fob. Everything but the spark plugs ($50.00) was covered under warranty.

80% of my driving is in the city (Los Angeles). If I can get a projected a 45,000+ miles out of my brake pads (my front pads had 60% life remaining before replacement) in city driving, well...let this be a quasi-barometer what one should expect out of the life of their brake pads.
  • naka808naka808 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    I'm so disappointed that I had to replace my brake pads and rotors after 25K mi on my 2007, GS350! In addition, the customer service at Servco Lexus in Honolulu was terrible! Is this normal for the Lexus GS350 to replace brake pads and rotors after 25K? In addition, my car is still under the 4/50K warranty...The service writer stated that it was normal and not covered under warranty.
  • jblexusx4jblexusx4 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
  • jblexusx4jblexusx4 Member Posts: 2
    In Nov of 09 i took my 08 gs in for noisey brakes. Lexus replaced the pads . Now 10k miles later my car is doing the same thing. Lexus has advised i need to pay to have the [ads replaced as well as the rotors turned. Per teh waraanty noted in your positn from teh TSB these should be guranteed for 48months or 50k , neither of which i have reached . can you offer some insight on how a female with a brake issue doesnt get ripped off?
    Your lexus dealer should have done the TSB service at the time they replaced your pads. You didn`t mention rotors? The TSB includes new type of pads,new rotors and anti squeel shims. As far as i know, this is a one time service. The 48mo,50k warranty doesn`t cover replacement on pads or rotors. I had the TSB service done at 10k.
    The TSB was performed on my GS over a year ago. Now after 12K miles, the squealing noise is back. And this time it happens at warm temperature also.
    I don't know what they can do now.
    What has the dealer said?
    I didn't ask them to look into the issue yet.
    I will ask them when I bring my car in for the valve springs recall.
  • smoke9smoke9 Member Posts: 2
    I have had a noise for around 6 months now. I brought the car in several times and the mechanic could not mimic the noise, I then went to the dealer and rode with the manager, the car made the noise within 10 feet after driving off. They put shims and the noise went away for a week, it is back again. I also had my navigation upgraded when this work was done and now my drivers seat does not go back when I turn the car off. the mechanic put on the work order that this does not happen in this vehicle. I have had the car for almost two years and I swear when I would turn it off the seat would go back a little and the steering wheel would tilt up. Can anyone advise if their vehicle does this or was I just imagining this? It really upsets me that they did not advise me of this after having my car for three business days for an oil change, the other two issues they advised could not be fixed.