Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    Aggressive tread tires will effect ride quality and noise. They are better in off road situations. The only way to fix the problem is to change the tires again. My current plan is to replace my Cross Terrains with H speed rated Crross Terrains. How many miles did you get from the tires?
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    I actually changed them at about 28k. There is still good life left on them but I wanted tires with better winter driving capability. The Cross Terrains were not very effective in snow/slush/ice last year. I travel in the NW to Idaho and Montana several times a year and need something that will keep me on the road better. I saw an article where they drove a Denali for over a year. Based on their estimation they felt the Michelin's would run up to 80k.
    The ride is still better than my 1999 Sierra PU but I did notice it changed after the tire swap and was curious.
  • donahuesdonahues Member Posts: 36
    1k miles on my 02 Denali and noticed a fluid leak from the front end. Dealership said it was the front differential vent (did not specify it was the vent or vent hose) causing the problem. Fixed under warranty. Dealership said this was a common problem. Anyone else experience this?
  • wam5wam5 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2001 Denali XL with a second row bench seat. Every time I put my seats back in the upright position after having had them down, the mechanism malfunctions on the passenger-side sliding seat that allows access to the third row. It won't slide forward. I've had the dealer fix it four times but all they do is somehow hook the mechanism back up and complain about the poor engineering. They have yet to give me a long term fix. Has anyone had this issue or know a fix?
    The only problem I had was the seat getting caught on the catch all mats when it slid forward. The way I solved the problem was to put a piece of metal under both front edges of the sliding portion that covers the edge of the mat. Now the seat slides without a problem.
  • black_debtblack_debt Member Posts: 7
    Is there anyway to make the front passenger seat fully recline to a position that is close to flat? Girlfriend is complaining on long trips!
  • wellcraft28wellcraft28 Member Posts: 5
    Hi...I purchased my Denali back in December 02 and it intermittently stalls when I put it in Park. The dealer could not find anything wrong. Any ideas? By the way, it has a dealer installed remote start...could this be the culprit?

Thanks
    Does the idle ever fluctuate? If it does it probably needs a new throttle body.
    If it intermittently stalls when putting it in park, you might want to have the shop check the transmission electronics. I believe that there is a stall/lockout feature to prevent inadvertent shifting from drive to reverse...there may be a intermittent contact and false signal being generated. If the issue is predictable they can hook up the umbilical and see what kind of codes are being generated when it happens.
  • donahuesdonahues Member Posts: 36
    I noticed my rear view mirror flashing "ice" the other day (argggg winter is already here). What triggers this warning and is it only a warning or does something mechanical occur as well?
  • wellcraft28wellcraft28 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your feedback. I will bring these up to the dealer once it reoccurs.
    The ICE warning on the mirror is there to flag the driver that temperature and conditions are such that ice may have or could form on the road surface. It's a warning so the driver can switch off the cruise control, check handling/braking on the surface and not be surprised. It doesn't do anything electronically or mechanically.
    I got it a lot last winter in my travels.
  • jammon1jammon1 Member Posts: 28
    I have had the Magnacharger installed now for about a month. I have had plenty of time to see how it works under many situations. It works very well! I have spent a little time testing the 0-60 times using a G-Tec device. The baseline times that I got just prior to the installation were right around 8 seconds. Some just over and a few just under 8 seconds. With the supercharger installed I ran a 6.8, and several just over 7 seconds. I also go a chance to do a "top" speed run on a trip a couple of weeks ago. On a straight, flat highway in the morning hours I had the speedometer pegged. After the run I checked the "Last 15 Day" vehicle history and it indicated 123 MPH. I was approaching a curve and did not want to hold it through the curve not knowing who I might meet. Perhaps next summer, somewhere in Montana I might get a chance to see if it will keep going beyond the 123.
  • hrhauserhrhauser Member Posts: 22
    This is on a 2003 Denali with 1483 miles on it. 1. Battery completely dead, replaced alternator. 2. Same problem, this time replaced battery, they also checked with GM tech center, there response was that the On Star was trying to reset it self, GPS, did a reset program. 3. Same problem, DEAD BATTERY, this time let the dealer have until repaired. Does anyone have a clue to what is going on. The Denali worked ok until I left for our winter residence here at South Padre Island, Texas, vehical may sit for a day or two between trips. Also the first oem battery did not show a green ball in the sight port, the replacement showed green, until it went dead this morning, I don't think a alternator circuitry has the ability to charge a dead battery, should be placed on a charger to bring it to a fully charge state before using it. Any help will appreciated.
  • jkpsarasjkpsaras Member Posts: 29
    I had the same problem. They replaced the OnStar system, took 10 days. But after that everything has been fine.
  • y2kgtsy2kgts Member Posts: 48
    Well, my beautiful 2002 Denali XL, which I picked up on July 6th of this year, is a hurtin' unit:

A gentleman (and I use that term loosely) made an illegal left turn directly in front of me from a stop sign (I was going 40-45 in a 45 mph zone with no traffic controls). I T-boned his Toyota Land Cruiser and popped his windows and crushed his doors. He wasn't injured and I got a VERY sore neck (currently being treated for it). What is really strange is the airbags on the Denali did NOT deploy. Everybody at the scene (cops, ambulance, & tow service) couldn't believe it. The seat belt got stretched and locked into place (permanently - it did not retract after that). Thank God my kids weren't with me, having literally dropped them off at school not five minutes beforehand.

So, now it is the hands of State Farm and we will see what happens. I really don't want my new car returned to me with extensive repairs, especially as it wasn't my fault (he was ticketed). I am also a little leary that the airbags didn't go off (it was a head-on collision from my end). Hopefully I can get into a replacement Denali, as we really love the truck. I will also have to see if I can swap out the video system, assuming it still works (haven't checked it). First things first, we need to see what the insurance says. Sigh...

Chris

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    ouch! - I bet you're going to be sore the next few days. A trip to the doc wouldn't be a bad idea at all imho.

If you think there may be an issue with the bags not deploying, you may want to make sure the wreck is secured so the "evidence" doesn't walk away (looks like it's at the dealer?). Stranger things have happened.

Pretty amazing how shiny it looks even after all that.

Steve, Host
    Actually, the wreck was about ten days ago and I have been to the doctor twice. Says I "rotated" the vertebrae in my neck. Taking anti-inflammatory pills and muscle relaxants. Fun!

The car is currently at the selling GMC dealership, but the body shop has already been a pain to deal with ("Airbags didn't deploy? Huh, how about that.") It is being flatbedded to a different GM dealership tomorrow morning that supposedly is more in tune with these types of damages. We shall see.

As to that shine, the car actually hadn't been washed in probably three weeks. I use the same stuff on the Denali that I use on show cars: Zaino polish (not a wax) every six months or so, then a California duster and Zaino spray to keep it clean. Takes less then five minutes to make it look like that every day - and that is a black car. Most people think it is a bear to keep clean, but it is pretty easy if you know what to do. And no, I did not dust it off after the wreck! (grin)

Chris
    Pretty good testimony for Zaino!

Hope you get feeling back to snuff soon.

Steve, Host
  • hrhauserhrhauser Member Posts: 22
    I thought the ON STAR turned off with the ignition switch and if that is not the case, why did GM say it had to be re-configured when a battery is replaced. Does anyone have any info on what is going on, my 2000 XL with ON STAR, I only had to set it up once at the purchase time. HELP.
  • jammon1jammon1 Member Posts: 28
    Chris, glad you are OK, and that you had just dropped the kids off. Sorry to see the Denali. I am concerned that your air bags did not deploy. From the damage that shows in the picture the air bags should have been activated. Please keep us posted on what GM finds out. What good are "safety" features that don't even work when they are supposed to? Jon
  • stevensorianostevensoriano Member Posts: 40
    Hi All.

I just picked up my 2003 DXL tonight. It is parked in the garage next to my wife's 2002 DXL. I am surprised on how different they two feel. The displays on the '03 are also very different. This will be an interesting comparo, as the ONLY difference between the two is we each got different aftermarket TV/DVD players. Otherwise they are identical with captains chairs and sunroof.

I already have a comment though. The '03 is equipped with the LATCH system. This is my first experience with it, and the setup is pretty slick. The same carseat that slid horribly in my Warner Brothers Venture, was a little better in my '02 Denali, is actually snug in the '03.

I personally know nothing about tires, but the 02 has Michelins and the '03 has Goodyears. I am in Arizona, if that matters.

I purchased the DXL and the DXL^2 after considering Sequoia, X5, and all of the other contenders. So far, I am happy with my decisions.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    Man that Toyota did a number on your ride!!! Glad to hear you are doing better and that you will be OK.

I remember there being a recall on some model GMC/Chevy trucks and SUV's for bad airbag sensors that would not activate the air bags in a front end collision. My friend's daughter lost control of her Sierra and hit the guard rail hard enough to bend the frame beyond repair and the airbags did not deploy. It is a 2000 GMC Sierra. Maybe your truck was in the recall but you didn't get your notice yet. If memory serves it was only a problem with units built in one plant, but I can't remember which one.

Get better quick and I hope you get what you want in regards to your baby! Insurance should also pay to have a new video system installed, or to have yours installed in a new DXL in the event of a total loss. I would also request a new frame if they want to straighten it, it will be much much stronger in the event of another front end collision, not that you will have another one.
  • pilkopilko Member Posts: 22
    Looks to me like the impact was relatively minor. The main structure of the vehicle doesn't seem to have been damaged at all. The front bumper, frame rails and engine are probably as original. The only damage seems to be some sheet metal. If this is the case then the air bags probably should not have deployed as the impact did not require them. This allows the air bags to deploy at a later stage of a crash if necessary. If they were set to go off in a crash where they weren't required and a second impact occurred they would not be there to protect you when they were needed.
    This accident happened at a speed of 45mph, the airbags should have gone off without a doubt. My friend's daughter hit the guard rail at around 55-60mph and BENT the frame to the point that the frame bent into and broke the starter without the airbags going off. There is a problem somewhere, and it need to be fixed. It looks like the radiator got smashed into the fan which would indicate the core support got bent and that is where the airbag sensor is, so by rights they should have deployed.
    If you look at the picture, it did indeed hit largely above the bumper. Apparently when I hit the brakes it "dove" a little and hit largely underneath the Land Cruiser. Indeed, the witness who saw it all (and was shaking like a leaf from the terror) said I came VERY close to tipping him completely over. I was too busy blacking out at the moment of impact to notice. While the front bumper of the DXL creamed the front fender and wheel of the LC, I was told that it was not enough of a hit on the bumper itself to trigger the airbag sensors, which are all attached to the frame inside the bumper housing.

As to the hit, they are still working through an estimate. The lowest is $10,500 - and that doesn't include any "residual" damage that may have occurred: I am assuming that all of the video components still function, as well as all of the other lights, etc. Going from 45 mph to zero in less than five feet certainly put some stress on everything in the car, including the driver!

Still working through the mazes of insurance (fault has already been assigned 100% to the other driver) and have my fingers crossed on replacing the vehicle outright. The dealer shows a "diminished value" on the car of $7,000 at a minimum. The bad thing is that I will lose my 0% financing, which will cost me another $4,000+ over sixty months. Sigh...

Chris
    I thought most airbags were triggered by inertia sensors, some of which may be in the cabin?

link

Steve, Host
  • wjs3rdwjs3rd Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys, I
    I'm the current owner of the '98 Lincoln Navigator- enter birth of third child, I need a third seat with room to store stuff in the back. I'm committed to purchasing Yukon.Seems to me like a XL loaded up with extras and a Denali are pretty close in price- Denali seems to have more fun "goodies" (two-tone leather, etc) Is this a reasonable assumption.

Also- regarding gas mileage- Denali owners out there, what type of mileage have you gotten?

Thanks, Walt
    I have had my Denali for 16 months and almost 29k miles. Here's my opinion on your choices:
    3rd row seat is much easier to get into on the XL as one of the second row seat moves whereas on the std Yukon/Denali it's an obstacle course to get kids into it.
    I chose the Denali over a loaded Yukon because:
    - Denali road and handled better.
    - the 6L had noticeable kick over the 5.3L
    - All wheel drive verses select 4WD
    - 6 CD changer in dash
    - quieter than std Yukon
    overall I thought the differences were worth a couple of grand more.(I basically got mine for a few hundred over invoice plus a rebate.)
    The new 2003 has the 4 wheel steering which is worth quite a bit also....

I have gotten consistently 14-15mpg "around town" roughly 50/50 street and expressway. On road trips I have gotten 17-20 driving 65-85mph with even some mountain passes mixed in.
    If you are looking to purchase new, be sure to stop by your local GMC dealer and pick up a free brochure on the Yukon/Yukon XL/Denali. It is a very complete "book" on the two cars so you can see what the differences are. One expectation I had from reading the forums was the availability of four-wheel-steering on the 2003 Denali XL. Bad news there: It is not and WILL not be available on this vehicle - only the Denali pick-up truck. For the SUV's, you can only get four-wheel-steering on the Yukon XL 3/4 ton (2500). And then it is a $4,495 option.

Now, I went from a 1998 Navigator (actually two of them) to a 2000 Yukon XL and then to a 2002 Denali XL. The Denali XL is REMARKABLY more plush from what we felt, even though our Yukon XL was loaded with every single goodie, including Autoride (which is standard on the Denali). Here are a few things that are standard on the 2003 Denali and optional on the Yukon XL (or not available):

Denali XL Yukon XL
    Six CD in-dash changer................S..............O
    OnStar with 1 year paid.................S..............O
    Homelink remote controls.............S..............O
    Removable third row seat.............S..............O
    Bose 9-speaker system................S..............O
    XM Radio (I want this!)..................S..............O
    Stabilitrak System.........................S..............O
    Autoride ........................................S..............O
    Power Adjustable Pedals..............S..............O
    Trailering Package........................S..............O
    6.0 Engine / 320 HP......................S..............O
    Cargo Package.............................S..............O
    Transmission Temp Gauge..........S...........3/4 only
    Leather interior .............................S..............O
    10-way power memory seats.......S..............O
    Side Impact Airbags .....................S..............O
    Audio/Information
    controls on steering wheel............S..............O
    Frame mounted hooks..................S..............O
    High capacity air cleaner...............S..............O
    Transmission oil cooler.................S..............O
    Steering wheel color keyed...........S.............N/A
    Projector beam headlights............S.............N/A
    Full-time AWD ..............................S.............N/A
    17" Aluminum wheels....................S.............N/A
    Heated middle seats.....................O.............N/A
    Quadrasteer ...............................N/A..........3/4 only
    In-dash Navigation System............O.............N/A

This was in looking through the 2003 brochure and comparing the different features/options. Of course the Denali also has a different trim package - more body moldings around the lower sides. The bumper is also color matched instead of chrome like the Yukon/Yukon XL. One interesting "deprovement" on the 2003 Denali: That nifty exhaust tip is GONE and now it is a plain old dull steel (aluminum?) tip. Too bad! They say the Bose system is "new" for 2003, in that it has more features and supposedly a richer sound than the previous Bose system (shrugs).

As far as gas mileage, I can't say that the Denali treated me nearly as well as the Yukon XL. With the Yukon XL I averaged 15/19 city/highway and on the Denali XL I am getting 12/15 at best. Not thrilled, but knew what I was getting into before I bought it. DEFINITELY worth all the extras! Good luck, and you will find that either one is a BIG improvement over the Lincoln!

Chris

PS. Do you have any idea how many times I had to edit this to get the "columns" right? It took a lot of dots! (LOL)
    Quadrasteer available on 1/2 ton models late '03 early '04, incl DXL

XM is an option on ALL models, not standard on DXL, and I would wait for the smaller antenna, like the one on the Grand Am/Sunfire. The current production antenna is HUGE and ugly, and is being replaced with the smaller unit as the big ones run out.

6.0L engine avail. on 3/4 ton YXL ONLY - std on DXL

95% of the rest of the options listed are included in the $4500 option pkg(full boat option pkg)

Also - split 3rd row seat will be available for YXL and DXL in mid to late '03-it's just like the one in the regular Yukon/Denali.

What's a cargo package? Do you mean towing?
    Whew! Sorry, I was still shoring up my columns when you replied (added the navigation system). Anyway, the XM Radio system is standard on the 2003 Denali - both the brochure and dealer support this claim (as do the window stickers). And yes, that antenna is butt-ugly, but how long would you have to wait? Could they swap them out later? And finally, the "cargo package" (which is in your $4500 full-boat option pkg) is the rear cargo net, retractable shade, and cargo mat.

Now, for two of the more important options:

1. Quadrasteer: The dealer (and the brochure) say it will NOT be available on the 2003. The dealer says it is likely for the 2004 DXL. Who knows?

2. The navigation system: Even the brochure says "available mid-year" (which it does not for Quadrasteer). The dealer said their latest update on the navigation system says VERY late 2003 or not until 2004. Even though it is boldy depicted in the 2003 brochure.

And please note: I am not defending the 2003 or anything else. Indeed, I don't drive ANY GM product right now (see "crash" above) and only hope to get into a 2003 at some point rather than a repaired 2002...

Chris
    VERY, VERY interesting read, and thanks for the link! Could it be that the body shops are unaware of how the airbags are triggered? Or is it because they are both GM shops? According to that article, it doesn't matter WHERE they are, as they are triggered by the sudden stop itself and not necessarily the impact. Having dropped that baby from 45-0 in a few feet, they should have blown. That is what both the cop at the scene and the flatbead operator suggested as well. Since the dealers seem to be "poo-pooing" this, I wonder who I should contact? Seems like it could be a legitimate issue for sure.

Thanks for the tip!!

Chris
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    For the insurance companies, it's a matter of economics. Whichever is cheaper, that's what they will do. From what I've seen of your accident, the event of a new vehicle is highly unlikely. Course, you could sell it after it's repaired...or trade it.
    Well, something about the info you've been sharing doesn't "smell" right. You might want to make sure the parts don't "walk off" and think about filing a complaint with the NTHSB or talking to a <gasp!> lawyer.

Steve, Host

Steve - Thanks for the additional tip on the NTHSB. I have already chatted (briefly) with an attorney and am waiting to see what the insurance does first. I actually have a pretty good thing going (as far as additional help) and will detail below...

obyone - I agree with you 100%. However, I am one of those guys that tends to fight the system, especially when I feel I have been wronged, and I most certainly do in this case. Ironically, my insurance (unofficially) suggested a third party that deals with these situations a lot. His company buys MANY of the damaged vehicles from the owner while the insurance company pays the damages and diminished value. The idea is that these three things will bring up enough money to replace the car at fair market value.

I will be the very first to acknowledge that this is emotionally motivated. Nevertheless, here are a few points I made to the third party guy:

1. The other party was clearly at fault and is 100% liable. This, according to both the police and the insurance company. They were ticketed for disobeying posted traffic laws.
    2. The car was NEW &#150; all of three months to be exact. I had just completed the entertainment system in it three days before the accident.
    3. The car will NEVER be the same, and the body shops and dealers acknowledge this. Not only is there at least $7,000 in diminished value (according to the GMC dealer), but also that very real satisfaction of owning a new car is GONE and cannot be repaired. The new car smell will be replaced by the smell of paint and glues. I am a car fanatic, as anyone that even knows me a little can attest. My cars are always spotless and perfectly maintained. This car will always have evidence of previous damage.
    4. All replacement mechanical parts are generally covered by a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty &#150; not the vehicle&#146;s original 3/36 or extended warranty coverage.
    5. The car may no longer eligible for the General Motors Protection Plan (extended warranty), as there will be permanent marks on the car&#146;s records of extensive damage. This will show up for any Carfax viewer or auto dealership.
    6. The car will be very difficult to sell, if it ever comes to that. Even with &#147;diminished value&#148;, there are enough SUV&#146;s on the market that a previously wrecked one will be difficult to sell. That, and just DRIVING a vehicle with extensive repairs when you had a BRAND NEW one three months earlier is simply not acceptable.

Much as it pains me (and it really does), I fully understand what the laws are and my rights under those laws. I may be reluctantly singing that ol' tune: "I fought the law, and the law won..."

Chris
  • dfwk2500dfwk2500 Member Posts: 68
    I am only familiar with Texas law, but it should be similar around the country. When someone else is clearly at fault and you are dealing with their insurance or your own uninsured coverage I have successfully put three options to the involved carrier as any one of the three is an acceptable measure of your damages. First, determine value of vehicle immediately prior to accident. In a very new car situation, I would try to put forth price you paid less 15-20 cents per mile. Then offer the insurance company these three options: 1) I sell the wrecked vehicle as it is now and insurance company writes a check for the difference between value in first step and proceeds of sale; 2) you fix the vehicle, provide me an COMPARABLE replacement during repairs and when the vehicle is fixed, I sell it and the difference between step 1 and the price I get is the diminution in value so write me a check for that amount; or 3) you buy the vehicle from me for the price in step 1 and do whatever you want with it. I've helped several friends and coworkers over the years and although it takes a little bit of stamina, we have been successful. Personally, I had an '88 Integra suffer a significant side impact and made the above offers to State Farm (will the appropriate cites to Texas law). The adjuster blew me off. I had the Integra taken the the local Honda dealer and told them I wanted to trade it for a V6 Accord for my wife. I got a great deal on the new car and they made up the difference on the trade in of the Integra. The next day I sent a letter to State Farm enclosing the purchase documents on the new car and comparable valuations on the Integra pre-accident and requested a check for the difference as the loss due to the accident. They wrote me a check for the approx $4,500 difference when their estimate on repairs for the Integra were only around $1,200. They knew in that if it went to court I had established the value of my loss according to the governing law. If it helps, I might have the letters on an old backup disc at home.
  • csi35csi35 Member Posts: 28
    Driving with cruise control on at 60mph my 02 Denali XL downshifted abruptly and then strange noise emitted from the front and then smoke. I pulled over, called Onstar who had a cop over in 5 minutes and watched as transmission fluid poured out from the tranny. Millage was 3896.

Closed to the millage others who had tranny failure. Towed to the nearest GMC dealer. Called GMC who called dealer who hadn't had a chance to investigate the damage. GMC is supposed to call back to inform me of the damage and when to expect repairs to be finished.

My only concern is that will the replacement fail at 4000 miles too?
  • jeff107jeff107 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone

Just purchased a 2003 denali and I have 400 miles on it. Love the truck but noticed that there is a little clunk that feels like it is coming from the transmission when I am come to a stop from a 30+ MPH speed. Almost feels like it is downshifting to 1st gear too early when I am just about to come to a complete stop. Very noticable when I come to a quick stop from about 30 MPH+. Anyone have similar experiences and if so what have you done. Also--Seems like there is alot of concerns with this tranny!!
    Please give me your experiences if they are similar.

Thank You
    Jeff
    That, my Texas friend, was one of the most refreshing posts I have read regarding my dilemma. My sincerest thanks!

I have a little better idea of where I am at (and worse feeling because of it) since my last post. I spoke with my "third party" guy and here are the current numbers as we have them:

Damage: $10,500
    "Salvage" value of vehicle: $18-$20,000
    Diminished value according to one GMC dealer: $7,000

So, my problem is that this total doesn't come remotely close to replacing the vehicle, even if I could find a slightly used 2002 Denali XL. Now, your scenarios provide a much more interesting approach. As to a trade, I have no doubt that the insurance company would balk, as the GMC dealer said my repaired DXL is a $28,000 car. Will my insurance cough up another +/- $16,600. Probably not. Worse, I have learned that my insurance company is officially taking the hit as the other person's insurance. There was hope that the car owner's insurance would kick in, but apparently they were unsuccessful. The other driver and I have the same insurer.

Now, if I were to try and sell the car IMMEDIATELY I *might* be able to get $35,000 or so for it. 7,000 miles, full warranty, and all the goodies. Well below the value pre-accident. So now they have to cough up an additional $9,600. Not ridiculous compared to the $7,000 they may or may not accept in the current scenario. I am assuming $0.20 per mile and a purchase price of $46,000. The problem (and certainly in my bride's eyes) is that the market is flush with late model used cars due to the 0% craze. Will somebody really want to pay even $35,000 for a used car that has been involved in a major collision? Or will I need to sit on the car for months in order to get a buyer?

Perhaps I try to find another buyer for the wrecked car besides my third party guy. Mind you, he has been going to bat for me (even paid to flatbed it to a better repair shop for a more realistic estimate) and I told him I would give him first shot at the car if we went this route. Unfortunately, I think his estimate of $18-20K wrecked value is "the weakest link" of the three pieces. But then again, if the dealer says it is worth $28,000 trade-in "fixed", maybe he is right on. Ugh, I need more Tylenol...

Thanks again for your very detailed reply. It makes a lot of sense and gave me a fresh perspective. If you have any of those documents and wouldn't mind forwarding them, my e-mail is listed in my profile. Thanks yet again!

Chris
    The 2 vehicles can be equiped much more equally in 03 than they could be in prior years. The major differences are the AWD, 6 liter engine, Trans temp guage, 17" wheels/tires, and trim for 03. Unfortunately the 03 Denalis have Goodyear tires instead of Michleins. The gas mileadge of the 03 DXL has improved over the 02. If you option the vehicles as closely as possible, the price difference has decreased from 02.
    I heard of the Nav system, but I have not seen a new brochure yet for the picture. The dealer only get one box at a time, and they fly out of there , so I keep missing them. Is it a different radio head unit or is it in the console? I have seen the smaller antennas trickling on to the lots near me. Most of them are on the trucks, but I did see one Denali with the small antenna. I have also seen '03 Denali and DXL w/o XM Radio so you must be able to delete the option like you can on the Yukon and YXL, XM radio is included in the full boat option pkg on the YXL. I do believe that the two antennas are interchangeable, but you would have to drop the headliner to do it.

Quadrasteer should be available soon for the 1/2 ton models, my guess is that they are working out the final bugs on the 3/4 ton YXL and 1/2 ton trucks as well as the Sierra Denali and as soon as that is done I would expect it to be standard on the DXL, like it is on the Sierra Denali. As far as I have heard there are no plans on having Quadrasteer on Yukon/Tahoe/Denali, only the big boys get this toy.
  • larry91larry91 Member Posts: 189
    If i would want the quadrasteer the first year it is introduced, sounds like T R O U B L E to me.
    It seems to take GM many model years to get it right. I have a 2001 Denali XL and luckily have had no tranny problems with 17000 miles on the odo. When i think of getting something as high tech and complicated as 4 wheel steering from the General, I shutter to think of all the problems the first owners will have with the vehicle. My advise, Wait don't be the first on the block with this option..

Just my opinion,
    Larry
    Quadrasteer sounds exciting and I really do hope the dealer and brochure are wrong and that it appears on the '03 at some point. With my insurance up in the air and my Denali future still in limbo, I wouldn't mind being a "first year" guinea pig on it if it comes out relatively soon - especially as it has been out for a while on the Denali pickup.

As to the navigation unit, it is indeed the radio head unit. Sorry that the picture was on the "fold" in the brochure, but here you go:

(I had to fold it really flat to scan and thus the "tear" in the lower part of the nav unit)

Thanks for the replies!

Chris

Thanks! That looks really good! Is it a Denali/DXL option only or can you get it in the YXL too? I need the 3/4 ton model for my travel trailer and boat, this would be a great option to have, especially when I am on the way to a new camp ground.
  • csi35csi35 Member Posts: 28
    Just talked to the service manager regarding my Denali. It wasn't the transmission that went out. He said the drive shaft broke in the transmission and that's why the vehicle stopped and all the fluid drained out onto the highway. I just hope that the transmission wasn't damaged. FYI the drive shaft , which is on order, cost $2800. Its under warranty. Unbelievable.
    jgm - If the brochure is to be believed, then the navigation system is only available on the Denali. Luckily boating season is about over (at least up north), so you can wait out the winter to see what really happens. Again, the local dealership said their latest bulletin shows it for very late '03 - if not 2004.

csi - Sorry to hear about your driveshaft! Interesting (and short) story on my 2000 YXL: Had a pretty big "clunk" everytime we would hit a dip or bump at low speeds, coming from underneath the car. The dealership ordered a new driveshaft (+/- $2500) and the clunk seemed to stop, but it vibrated at highway speeds instead. A panicked call from the dealer tells me it is not the right driveshaft for the truck and to come back IMMEDIATELY. A transmission yoke was the problem and was experienced on several other SUV's as well, according to GM. The only problem was that the replacement part was not only backordered, but had never even been BUILT yet! They would keep me posted, but I drove around with a clunking truck (which a LOT of grease would help if I didn't mind going in every few weeks) until I traded it in. Best of luck with yours, as it has GOT to be better than that...

Chris
  • bolkerbolker Member Posts: 30
    I know that the speedometer and some other components are different on the Escalade, but does the Escalade have a nicer looking interior trim? I've seen the Escalade and it has a lot of wood. I can't find a Denali, so how would you compare the two interiors?

Ron
    Well, I have yet to see the Escalade interior. As to the Denali, it has what they refer to as "black cherry" trim, which I prefer to call "plastic". Definitely not a micron of real wood in the interior. It looks a bit nicer than the standard Yukon/Yukon XL, but still looks like plastic no matter how you slice it. Hope that helps, but doubt it does!

Chris
    I liked the Escalade interior and the Denali exterior better. I wanted the XL version, so the Denali was the only choice. In addition, I felt the price jump to the Escalade was fairly big.