Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 350

Comments

• v312155v312155 Member Posts: 14
    A month ago I purchased a new GS350, AWD, Nav and premium package. Great car. First time I've experienced AWD and it's great. I predict, in 15 years, all cars will be AWD. I have a 1969 Corvette, 350 cubic inches, 350 horsepower, four speed, so I know power. The GS350 does the quarter mile slightly slower then the Corvette. The GS350 is FAST!! I paid $1,000 over invoice from Wilie Lexus, Haverford, PA. GS350 is a GREAT car, by far.
  • datribdatrib Member Posts: 12
    The GS350 had better performance (RWD, 300 hp, better handling) and appeal (more stylish and roomier) than ES350 to me. If you're paying over $40K for a car and 'need' performance, don't kid yourself. Get the GS350. If you're just looking for bells and whistles under the Lexus brand, get the ES350. It's nice too.
    I got the GS350 and don't regret it one bit. A friend got the ES350 and he's happy but I smoked him in the 0-60mph takeoff! ;)
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    My GS350 is an AWD. I feel my Accord V6 (only 240hp)
    takes off faster than my GS.
    I felt the same in my Accord too but attibuted it to the car's lightness, louder engine and cabin noise during accelerate. If you're finding the Honda is in fact faster, you may want to try different acceleration technique in your GS and ensure high octane.
  • hausshauss Member Posts: 169
    I felt the same way except I'm comparing the GS350 to my TL. TL felt much quicker but it shouldn't be. I believe a lot of it has to do with the softer suspension on the GS350, the 6 speed tranny, increased noise reduction, and a more refined engine.
    I use 93 Oct for the GS350 and 87 Oct for the AccordV6.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    have heard that the Nav will be improved, maybe some colors changed, but that's about it. Anyone hear anything else?
  • adpcsadpcs Member Posts: 59
    Is real time traffic going to be an option? When will the 08 be out? I am coming off of lease during the first week of August, will they be out by then?
  • hausshauss Member Posts: 169
    with a few things...does anyone know how to turn off the caution screen on the navi? It keeps popping up and we keep having to hit "I agree" to get it to go away. Also, we've been having some trouble with the Bluetooth phone function where we are dialing by number. When I hit the talk button and then give the command "Dial by numbers" and follow the prompts to speak out the number the system then tells me to hit the talk button or the off hook button to execute the call but when I do that it takes me back to the start. It's a viscious loop. Is there somethign wrong with my system or am I doing something wrong. Again, the owner's manual is crap for figuring it out (at least IMO).
  • gdentongdenton Member Posts: 4
    Hello Guys!

I have been a car enthusiast for the last 35 years and have tested them all.

It is very clear that the GS350 is a solid and fast car. Please understand the complexities of driving dynamics. Most younger people expect to hear and assume the optimum performance of a car. When you sit in a GS350 and close the windows and doors, the quietness and weight deceives the driver into thinking the car is not performing. When you combine the HP with the torque, you have a powerful car, but for a very short moment, it would appear that a Honda Accord at 240HP takes off faster (lighter car with 240HP)) but give it 4 to 5 seconds with both cars on 50% acceleration and you will see where the GS350 blows the Honda away. We must remember that we have long and open roads in the US. The Lexus will give you abetter ride overall, as well.
    Agree. My Accord had a bit hard time to catch up
    the GS300 (only 245 hp) on the open high way.
    So the GS350 will definitely blow away the Accord in a long
    run.
  • rgalluccirgallucci Member Posts: 16
    I purchased a GS350 several months ago and I am experiencing excessive engine vibration. I was told it is because the standard 350 cranks out 270 hsp but the GS gets an additional 33 hsp thus causing the vibration. The vibration can be felt throughout the vehicle and really distracts from the refinement of the car. I was told they all suffer from the same problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem. I really like the car put can not live with the excessive vibrations.
    I have approximately 1800 miles on my AWD GS350 and have NOT felt any vibrations. Is the vibration while driving, or at idle speeds?
    Have your car's engine mounts checked.
    Whoever told you an additional 33 hp causes the vibration is a complete idiot and a liar.
    One doesn't pay an extra $10K to get 33 more
    hp & a vibration.
    I hope it didn't come from a Lexus dealer.

The GS350 engine is a bit noisy because it has a timing chain instead of belt.
    But it doesn't bother me because I can't hear
    the noise while I'm inside the car.
    The vibration is at idle, in gear, at a stop. The problem did not exist in the beginning but became worse. I only have 2000 miles on it.
    I have a little under 2000 miles on my GS350 (AWD) but I've never experienced ANY vibrations in the car. I'd visit anothet Lexus dealer - quickly.
  • mefistofelesmefistofeles Member Posts: 6
    I've only had my car for less than a week and felt like posting some of my impressions.

Compared to my old car (a Lexus IS 300) the GS 350 has monstrous grip on fast sweeping curves. Also the power is incredible, the driver and the car are truly one machine. Passing is really a matter of exerting thought and pressing the gas,with the throttle more as an afterthought than anything else.

Its easy to go from 50-80 in tight traffic.

The brakes also great and excellent at keeping you out of trouble.

On back roads I find that the grip and power give me a 10+ mph speed advantage over my IS 300.

The only true performance drawback to the car is its size. The IS 300 was a much smaller car and is much more comfortable and at ease around tight corners. I will have to modify my driving style.

The GS 350 just isn't as "tight" in its turns as the the IS 300 and needs a little more space. However the grip and power advantage are noticable if the corner is larger enough and when the road begins to straighten out.

Compared to the IS 300 the car doesn't feel quite as primal. It feels more isolated and more restrained. That's not to say the car doesn't provide feedback, because it does. But driving in the GS 350 feels a bit detached compared to my IS 300.

Fuel mileage. In a sense this is where the GS 350 really shines because as a heavier and more powerful car I get equal if not slightly better gas mileage with the GS 350 versus my IS 300.

Ironically another criticism I have of my GS 350 is that doesn't feel as loose as the IS 300. Although my particular car was one first IS 300's so its a bit more "lose" than latter production runs. The steering in the GS350 doesn't react quite as much as I'm used to at higher speeds.

Of course the GS 350 is a luxiours car filled with many amenities. So passenger and driver comfort are superb.

But my overall feeling is that the GS 350 is a wolf in sheep's clothing because it will transport you in comfort when you go to a classical music concert and it tear up the roads. However the GS 350 lacks the innate visceral feel of a sporty car but does not fall short in terms of pure driving performance.
    I turned on ECT PWR. The accleration is much better.
    Especially on the inclined highway.
  • aveghteaveghte Member Posts: 68
    Are the rear side airbags different in the GS350 compared to other vehicles like the Audi A6 and BMW 5-series where rear side airbags are optional or the Mercedes E350 where rear side airbags are standard equipment?

My wife and I are looking at these vehicles and are concerned that rear side airbags might not be safe for our 3-year-old child in a front-facing car seat which is installed in one of the rear outboard seats next to one of the rear side airbags if a car accident occurs where one of these airbags deploys. The Audi salesman told us that rear side airbags are dangerous for small children but the Mercedes and Lexus salesmen told us not to worry.
  • steve3226steve3226 Member Posts: 15
    I'm planning to buy soon and would like advise for price/discount I should expect in San Diego area. TMV=44600 w/ nav. MSRP=46700 invoice is not available here. Any actual buying experience from readers would be appreciated.

Steve
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Have a look at the Lexus GS: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion.

Good luck - keep us posted!
    Steve, my GS 350 has a terrible vibration in the cabin while at idle at a stop, and the dealer said it is a characteristic of the GS. You can feel it by putting your arm on the arm rest when the car is idling and in drive. I am taking it to another dealer for a second opinion.
  • jwp350jwp350 Member Posts: 2
    You should not feel any vibration at idle or while driving (my GS350 is perfect re vibration). Go to another dealer...you have something wrong...bound up engine mount or issue with engine.

Another subject: I'm disappointed with the noise of the suspension as the car goes over tar strips or other minor imperfections in the road.....to the point of getting rid of the run flat tires to try to get a quieter ride. Nobody else seems to mention this...guess it must be me.

Also, somebody asked about the bump on the driver side next to the console...this is the front diff unit for only AWD models...RWD don't have it.
    My GS wants to grab any inperfection in the road and pull the car in that direction. I am considering replacing the run flats with conventional tires. I am waiting to meet with the Lexus regional representative first.
    Thanks for the tip on ECT PWR!!! I was already pleased with the speed and acceleration so this will be a real treat.
  • michael2003michael2003 Member Posts: 144
    Would Lexus be improving the Nav by allowing input while driving, by any chance?

I find myself quite often, when taking a trip, and having a second person in the car that it's quite irritating that the passenger can't use many of the Nav functions!
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    Don't know about the GS but you can modify on an ES while the car is in motion.
    There's some techy guys out there that can modify the nav on 2008 GS. But very few will do it because of liability. At some point the method will probably be on the web if the job isn't too difficult. I know the method for the IS 350 is on the web for earlier models.

Just make sure your passenger is the one hitting the buttons while you drive. I've found that operating the nav while in motion is very dangerous.
  • michael2003michael2003 Member Posts: 144
    Thanks for the info. I wonder how many vehicles with Nav have actually implemented this limitation. My Honda and Acura didn't have it!
    I have problem connecting my Palm Treo 700 WX
    to my GS350. Do you?
    Didn't have any problem with my other Bluetooth
    phone.
    May have to call Lexus Bluetooh support to see
    if the Treo's are compatible.
  • smr36smr36 Member Posts: 59
    Very well thought out and informative post. Thanks! I'm thinking about a GS350 when the '08 models come out.
  • smr36smr36 Member Posts: 59
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience with vibration. That is NOT acceptable! Take it back to dealer and demand it be fixed or car replaced. Don't accept any bs about "that's normal..." etc.
    The GS 350 (AWD) is a fantastic car. It's powerful, fast, great looking, and runs nicely on 87 octane gasoline. With 303 horsepower, it does the quarter mile in 14.3 seconds. Faster the my muscle car, a four speed 1969 Corvette, with 350 horses. I purchased my GS 350 in January 2007. You can negotiate price via the internet. I paid $1,000 over MSRP. The GS 350 is a REAL value.
  • jaymkjaymk Member Posts: 86
    You mean $1000 over invoice?
    CORRECT - By bad!

At least someone is reading this web page.
  • dhellerdheller Member Posts: 28
    If you use Verizon, it is relatively common knowldge that they modify the firmware on the phone (make it proprietary) and mess with the bluetooth protocols. Why Verizon does this, nobody knows, but it is a fact.

Treo phones on Cingular service work fine, same model on Verizon don't (same OS, etc) I've confirmed this myself on another car and with Garmin Nuvi 600 with bluetooth. Particularly problematic on phone books.

Switched to Motorola Q on Verizon and now works fine.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Could be a loose/broken engine mount. No way that motor runs "rough" for any reason, yet alone becouse it has 33 more HP!
    The dealer hooked my bluetooth for the exact same phone with no problems. If you're still hav'n problems, let me know and I'll look up the expert's phone #. I just don't have his # on me right now.
    I'd like to know how your GS350 is running after a year of using 87 octane. I'm no expert on the matter but sales guy swore by octane 91 as a must, or at least 90% of time.
    I was able to hook up only once after I bought the phone. But the calls just kept dropping.
    Now the car couldn't see the phone.
    Didn't have any problem with the Samsung phone
    model.
    Today I noticed my front (empty) passenger seat vibrates quite a bit when the speed is between 60-75 mph.
    Could it be the front tires are out
    of balance (then I would feel it through the steering wheel, too. But I didn't.), or it has hard run flat tires, or it's an AWD car.
    Does anyone experience this?
    Checked the wheels, no signs of the weights
    came off.
  • blevisonblevison Member Posts: 1
    I'd really like to find out how to modify my nav so my wife can operate it while I drive. Any help in steering me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone know the phone number of the company that wrote the program for the nav system...maybe they can help.
  • bmwconvertbmwconvert Member Posts: 75
    My Verizon Treo 650 works fine in my GS450h, although there's one trick that's required to get it connected. After you enter the device code and the device tries to make it's connection, you need to quickly make a call on the phone. For some reason, this seems to cause the connection between the phone and car to be established. If you wait for the connection w/o doing this, it will just time out. This is only required for the first time the phone is setup.
    The only other very minor issue is the car doesn't recognize the signal strength and battery meter information. Those show up as blank on the screen.
    Hope this helps.
  • fussballfussball Member Posts: 2
    Looking at the GS350 rear wheel drive with Mark
    L package in the Kansas City area.
    Any info on buying experience in the KC area would be very helpful.
    thanks
    Sean
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Try this discussion: Lexus GS: Prices Paid & Buying Experience.

Good luck and welcome! I like your user ID. :)
  • fussballfussball Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, will check out the link.
    I tried your method, but it didn't work.
    So I deleted the Handsfree device connection
    on the Treo and put it in the search mode
    again. The Treo found the Handsfree again and
    let me enter the Passkey. They are now connected.
    I guess somehow the Passkey got deleted in the
    Treo. That's probably why they failed to
    make a connection.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Every time when I turn on the car, the car
    always puts the vent to circulated mode.
    There are 3 types: circulation, auto, and
    fresh air (outside air in).

Is it only my car or that's how the vent
    system works in the GS350?
    Also is there a way I can default to
    fresh air mode every time I turn on the car?
    Thanks in advance.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    It will use this mode for rapid cooling, and then switch to outside air once the average temp of the car is low enough.
    I will pay attention to it next time.
    I had to manually switch to outside air when
    the inside temp is hotter than the outside temp.
    One time I saw it continuously toggled between inside & outside modes.