Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer AWD 4WD Questions

Comments

• thedustertheduster Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2001 Explorer.I pulled a front wheel off and rotated the hub and the front drive shaft spins even though its in 2 wheel drive. Is it supposed to rotate in 2 wheel??
  • astantonastanton Member Posts: 1
    What is the brown wire mod for a bad shift motor?
  • fillr68fillr68 Member Posts: 22
    the brown wire mod.. will bypass the auto function ..which is better for most people..your 4 wheel drive will still work only when you select high or low..the auto funtion will no longer work................I think is safer ...........
  • jcar8jcar8 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,
    I have a 2003 Explorer and it has been doing strange sounds when driving at more than 30mph, sounds like the 4WD may be partially engaged, specially when turning to the left. Any advice???
    you did not mention how many miles you have on your Explorer...there could also be a bearing hub that maybe going bad...on the left side....
  • jcar8jcar8 Member Posts: 2
    It has almost 58,000 miles on it, the sound is persistant while driving, but more intense when turning to the left, and less intense when turning to the right, it also feels like something is preventing the wheels from moving smoothly. Thanks
    did you check you bearing hub...you would need to raise the explorer...turning the left wheel by hand may give you a rubbing noise..a rough sounding noise...check that first...... also check you tire ,,,air pressure ...wear pattern..if all of that is okay...you could remove the front drive shaft ...to see if the problem goes away...if it does it could be a shift motor located on the the transfer case...let me know what you come up with............Phil
  • rmanusrmanus Member Posts: 1
    i have a 96 ford explorer XLT AWD and i dont know much about these i was wanting to know if u can put the switch for the fourwheel drive option in it so u can put it in 2wd for 4wd and it work right
  • ronniew01ronniew01 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a newer explorer. I have found some that have the emblem for the V8, but no emblem or switches inside for 4wd, or on awd where the V8 emblem is. I looked under the truck and did not see a transfercase or front drive shaft. Both sellers are telling I do not know what I am talking about. Does any one here know more about this? I am awaiting the vin numbers for both vehicles and trying to call ford later. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    1) is a 2000 explorer xlt 98k
    2)is a 98 explorer eddie bauer 80k
  • intmikintmik Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2005 Explorer with AdvanceTrac feature. Check tire pressure and check advancetrac keep scrolling on the info center of the dash. Anyone has any idea how to fix these two problems without having to pay the dealership a large amount of money? I have put four new tires on this truck and someone told me they might have broken one of the tire pressure sensors in on of the tiers. Could these two be related?
  • wubby1963wubby1963 Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased a 2004 Ford Explorer, just checking things out and also abit apprehensive about all I have read about the trannys. Any way this question is on the Low light for 4x4 and when pushed should it stay on when engaged and if it only blinks whats wrong? The high switch worked great and stayed lit up both places.
  • Tim918Tim918 Member Posts: 1
    The 4 Wheel Drive High and 4 Wheel Drive Low lights on my panel blink intermittently. Does this indicate low fluid or something more serious?

Thanks,

Tim918
  • srjoecowsrjoecow Member Posts: 1
    Just bought 2002 Ford Exp. When pushing 4X4 Auto,Low or High buttons, I don't feel anything engaging and no indicators lightup on instrument panel. Any ideas; could it be something as simple as a fuse??? Thanks!!
  • samsawyersamsawyer Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with mine. mines an 05 though. when i push the 4x4 low button. it flashes and it doesnt go into low 4x4 and the light on the dash doesnt come on, like the high does. i was told its the motor on the transfer case. they run like 125 to $150 . You might want to check your 4x4 module to pinpoint the problem. that flashing light is just letting you know its not working. the dealership should tell you if its that or not.i dont know how much they will charge to make sure thats the problem though. thats what im worried about right now. I just bought mine two weeks ago from a dealership as is, no warranty. so im pretty pissed off at the moment. good luck though.
  • dave1309dave1309 Member Posts: 16
    Samsawyer - Don't know if this will help you or not. I have a 2006 Explorer and going to 4x4 high is just a button. 4x4 low, I have to put the transmission in neutral then push 4x4 low. It engages and will stay that way until I put in back in neutral and hit high or auto.
    My owners manual says the tranny has to be in neutral before low can be engaged.
    Hope this works for you.
  • geezer920geezer920 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2002 Explorer just out of repair shop (my bad...icy bridge) & just prior, the dash 4XHi &4XLo indicators would flash 3 times every few minutes. Also noticed 4wd wasn't engaging. Turns out, as I was investigating earlier, was confirmed that the 4WD control module was out to lunch, which leaves whole system INOP. Was told about $450 would get a module replaced, THEN could test the shift servo & other componemts. I'm web-shopping for the module, will figure out how to plug it in & see where I'm at. Dealership seems 'hesitant' to confess to a recurring & predictable failure on these, but forums as these tell a different story. By the way, got about 71K miles on her...Good luck.
  • teiscoteisco Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into buying a 2004 explorer and I don't understand the 4wd system. It has the 4wd auto, 4wd high, and 4wd low buttons. Does it constantly run in 4wd auto? Or is there a way to switch to 2wd? If so, how do you shift it from 4wd auto to 2wd? Thanks.
  • dbmasondbmason Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 explorer. When ever it's cold and I don't let the car warm up I have problems with the FWD. I have 88,000 miles on it. It starts by clicking nioses from under the dashboard. Then it will drop out of gear into neutral and it grinds gears if I try to put it into park. If I let sit for a while it will eventually go into four low by itself. When its messing up the other FWD wont work. I have already taken it to the dealership a bunch of times the only time they did anything was right before summer they said it was a short in the motor in the transfer case and replaced it. This worked for a while but now that its getting colder at night it's been doing all these same things again. So what would cause the motor to keep going bad or what else could be the problem. It only seems to mess up when its cold.
  • harley55harley55 Member Posts: 2
    Been reading about the recurring blinking 4x4 light problems. Last night I started to have the same thing happen. Also last night when I pushed the unlock button, the lights did not come on and the seat did not automatically adjust when I put the key in the ignition. Are all of these related? Sounds like the 4x4 blinking light issue may be a bad control module?
  • harley55harley55 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 2003 EB Ford Explorer and am experiencing the intermittant flashing lights (3 times every 2 minutes). But I also have a problem with no dome lights, the seat doesn't automatically adjust, the automatic locks don't engage, and 4x4 is not operating. Did you have these problems or similar problems as well?
    what lights are flashing? all the power locks will not lock? have you checked any fuses for the dome lights ? 4x4 maybe a shift motor issue..
  • nbcctnbcct Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I have a 2003 EB Edition explorer, with about 160,000 miles on it. I just replaced the left rear wheel bearing and both rear brakes and rotors. Since then my ABS light and traction control light comes on and stays on also then while Im driving down the highway my 4x4 high light will flash on and off. Occasionally after I have been parked for awhile and start it back up to take off it will sputter like one of my wheels are dragging after stopping and trying to go a couple of feet at a time, it will take right off and run fine minus the lights. Could this be caused by a bad rear wheel sensor? or something else? Also is there something I may be able to disengage temporarily until the problem is resolved?
  • kevinskykevinsky Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get the answer? I have the same thing going on and when my wheels are turned significantly the whole front end sounds like it is going to break. Popping and jumping and feeling like a drag on the power.
    Nope not yet, still waiting. I ordered the part thinking it may be that when it comes in and I get it put on I will let you know if it fixes the problem. For right now I pulled the fuse for the abs which disables the abs and it has not sputtered yet (knock on wood) and that was two weeks ago. So I am thinking it has something to do with it. I fouund the part for $35.00 on the web so we will see. ;)
  • lai642lai642 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same issue...i am so frustrated with this vehicle. I even changed the rear wheel speed sensor and now it seems to have gotten worse. :( I am beginning to hate this ride. If its not one thing its another. And the stealership is just guessing anyway and hoping i just say fix it so they can charge me an arm and leg. They were actually going to charge me 2.5 hrs of labor at 100+ an hour for a job that takes 15 minutes ...sad indeed. Please post if you find or have found a resolution
    Since my post I have changed my rear wheel sensor and put the fuse back in all of which took me maybe 10 minutes to do myself. All my lights are out and my 4x4 high doesnt seem to be kicking in. Yeah :D Approx 2 months ago I replaced my hub also. Everything was on the rear drivers side that got replaced. The ford dealership should be able to hook it up to a computer and give you the exact diagnosis especially to which side it is on because there are two sensors on the back one for each wheel. I hope this helps (knock on wood, it worked for me). ;)

I know what you mean by hating the ride I love my explorer but when one thing goes it seems to all go at once especially after you have paid the vehicle off. In time hopefully it will all come together.
  • tchrist36tchrist36 Member Posts: 1
    Shortly after I bought this truck new in 2003 the 4x4 low engage button stopped working. 4X4 High still works. Since I rarely use 4 wheel in daily commute unless it snows, I never took it in to have it looked at.

Any simple things to check that might cause this, (fuse, linkage plug, pin...?)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    tell us about what you expect to happen.
    are you moving/stopped, etc...
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • boydsgirlboydsgirl Member Posts: 1
    i own a sport trac with 120 000 kms our friend is a mechanic and has been a big help. the 4x4 will not engage at all . There is power to the switch, module, and motor on transfer case. He has tested all of these parts seperately on his ford ranger and they all work fine. He's traced all the wiring and is coming up empty handed. could you please send any help to boydandrose@bell.net. Any help would be appreciated thanx.
  • jjyoung1869jjyoung1869 Member Posts: 1
    I went out this A.M. to go for coffee and my truck was in 4 low, the switch is in 2wd where it stays unless bad weather. tried puttin truck in nuetral and switch to 4 low. drove forward about 100 yards then put truck in nuetral switch to 2wd and then drove forward truck will not disengage. Any suggestions will be of great help im stuck 2 hours from home and really dont want to make that trip in 4 low. :confuse:
    By the way it is a 95 with the 4.0. motor has 43k and trans the same
  • mscunhamscunha Member Posts: 1
    my boyfriend has a 96 explorer and the lights keep flashing and the 4wd isn't working, he knows its a electrical problem but how do we fix it from there?
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    Not sure about this particular set up for 4WD, but these systems used to always require you to back up a few yards to disengage the 4WD system. I have an Isuzu Trooper with 4WD. It also stated you only had to disengage the system and no back up required. As that vehicle has gotten older and more miles (96 with 95,000 miles), I have notice the 4WD doesn't seem to want to disengage as quickly when moving forward. If I stop, put it back into 2WD, then back up a few yards the system will disengage right away. Although this sounds silly, all 4WD systems used to require a back up to disengage. Hope this helps your SportTrac.

Bel Air Car Guy
  • markpfizmarkpfiz Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2002 sport trac 4x4 when i turn the switch to 4 hi or 4 low i get nothing at all no light or anything all the fuses are good that are of any concern to the 4x4 system the switch ohms out corectly but it appears i have no power at the switch . does the control module feed power to the swich? can anyone help me out here? these parts are to expensive for doing process of elimination. thanks if you want to e mail me its markpfiz@aol.com.... thanx again.
  • doctoraldoctoral Member Posts: 1
    I was having problems with my 2002 ford explorer. It would engage and not engage in 4x4 high at inappropriate times. Sometimes it would get tought to steer into a corner turn and at other times it would feel as if I hit something when going into reverse. The 4x4 light would blink intermittently. After reading this forum I decided to take a chance, purchased a 4x4 control module, followed the excellent instructions provided and I got an instantaneous resolution to the problem. The part cost about $180 from tasca ford online parts. The same dealership was going to charge me $360 for the same part if I walked into their parts department and requested the part on site. Thanks to all who provided their input.
  • jtruckergirljtruckergirl Member Posts: 13
    I am also have a problem with my 4x4 light flashing on my 2002 ford explorer 4.0 v-6 automatic and sometimes while driving down the road it feels like the 4x4 high is trying to kick on and it does this at all speeds on dry pavement....I am getting very frustrated. I tested the actuator by turning on the key an putting in neutral to hear the actuator..i can here it engaging. Any ideas what it might be??
    My Ford Explorer tries to engage into 4x4 while driving down the road at all speeds. We had the actuator checked and it is working. Sometimes it does it sometimes it doesnt. When driving it acts up and the 4x4 light flashes also. The transmission itself was serviced and fluids and filter changed, This truck only has 124,000 miles on it. It is something up front, you can hear it when it acts up. Its like a shutter type feeling also feels like tranny is slipping but it isnt. Any ideas on what this could be...I dont want to take it to Ford because I know that they will guess and charge me too much money. Any inut would be greatly appreciated, Thank you
    I had a problem like that with my 99 Explorer..found that my front tires were out of balance the vibration which was very mild caused the 4 wheel drive to engage at any speed..hope this helps..
    I had a problem like that with my 99 Explorer..found that my front tires were out of balance the vibration which was very mild caused the 4 wheel drive to engage at any speed..hope this helps..you may want to check the wheel bearing hubs driver side goes up around 100.000 miles they can be noisey....
    Thank you...would the wheel hub cause it to want to try engaging into 4x4?? We just bought the truck last week and it has 2 matching tires on back but 2 different tread designs up front...all the same size though, the 235/70/16's all the way around. So you think its the tires or could still be the wheel hub. Now we do have a noise on the driver side, sounds like a rotor rubbing, would that be a wheel hub?? or jsut the tires you think?? I am willing to try anything before taking it to a dealer because i have been reading horror stories on here all day..lol...thank you so much!!
    ok i just bought brand new tires all the way around and mytruck still making noice up front. You turn it to the left and it makes a rubbing type noice ( wawawawa) you go straight or to the right it doesnt make the noice...any ideas??
    yes......wheel bearings hubs make a nasty grinding rubbing noise..and the driver side goes bad first..I changed both of mine and the truck drives great..and they are fairly easy to replace..
    Thank you, We are ordering the wheel hub for the drivers side. We still have our 4x4 unplugged so that wont keep engaging. We live here in Florida so we dont use it anyway. The tires sure did make a difference in the ride and took care of some of the problem. So we have our fingers crossed that the wheel hub makes the difference and fixes the problem. I will keep you all posted. Thank you again for the suggestions, ;)
    Ok any other ideas????? we have replaced all 4 tired with brand new ones, today we jsut replaced the drivers side hub and still no change at all....any other guesses?? I am starting to get irritated and im going to sell it if we cant figure it out....this is nuts. The ford dealer dont know whats wrong with it...the truck has been in for a complete trans service including fluid and filter change...everything looked great with the tranni...no burnt fluid or metal shavings in it...he said its one of the best condition trannis he has seen. So what the heck else could it be...we have the shift motor on the back of the transfer case unplugged so that the 4x4 cant keep trying to engage....took it for a ride after changing the drivers side hub and still makes a rubbing type noise when turned to the left....still have a shutter up front when driving down the road but not all the time.....please help me!!!!! :cry:
    there is a Brown Wire Mod this will bypass the automatic 4wheel drive.. you will still have the 4wheel but you will have to turn it on yourself.. you will have low and high I could not find the link to that thread I will give you a link to the forum look up Brown Wire Mod..it is very detailed to show you how it is done ..I feel it is worth it to do this..
    it is a very good forum..you may have to pay a small fee to join I have been there for a longtime... Brooklyn Bay is a user name you can look him up on that forum he is better at this.......hope this helps.....
    Ok, Well before we did the tires and the wheel hub, we unplugged that brown wire mod. So we drove it like that for a while and didnt have the problem of it trying to engage. When we put it in 4x4 manually it would make a bunch of noises and you couldnt drive it in 4x4 high. So we left it in 2 wheel until we bought the new set of tires and then we were still having issues of it grabbing an makin noise up front in 2w drive....so we changed out the front drivers wheel hub bearing which when we got the old one off it didnt turn freely like it should...so obviously that is what we were feeling...it felt like it was grabbing up front...so after we put the new hub in last night...i decided to plug back in the brown wire mod and try the 4x4 out....I was shocked and amazed I was able to put it into 4H and drive it...so it definatly the tires or the new wheel hub or both that fixed the 4x4 trying to engage itself...I have drove it 200 miles since last night with it plugged back in and the new wheel hub and tires and no issues...the only problem now is it still feels like the front end is binding up when picking up speed but is fine once you are to your speed you want. So I am thinking if the drivers side hub was that bad then most likely the passenger side is too...So this next weekend I will change out the other side....seeing how I bought the last one at our parts store. They gotta order another one. So I think I am on the right track...I am able to drive with that mod plugged back in finally and it seems to be fine so far ( knock on wood ) I can drive in 4x4H if i want to..other than the slight binding up up front...Thank you so much for your help. I will keep you posted!! ;)
  • plm454plm454 Member Posts: 2
    2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4.6 V8>>>4x4 won't engage...dash light blinks 4x4auto and 4x4 high simultaneously ramdomly. No 4x4 in any mode when buttons are pushed. The front wheel bearing hubs have been making noise and I am having them both replaced tomorrow (could this be related to the 4wd problem?). The 4wd worked fine up til 3 mths ago when I had brake pads and rotors replaced on the front. A couple of weeks later, I noticed that the 4wd lights would blink ramdomly while driving. In the snow the other day, the front wheels would not engage in any mode attempted.
    HELP!!!
    Thanks in advance for all replies,
    Pete
  • tahoecctahoecc Member Posts: 2
    Just bought 2004 explorer and am having the 4x4 flashing issue but cant seem to locate module under dash, does anyone know where it is?
    yes wheel bearing hubs will cause that problem. We just replaced ours and the problem is solved. Also make sure your tires are all the same and all the tread, tread depth and brand of tire. That will cause problems too. We bought a brand new set of tires for it and did the hubs and its all fixed...hope this helps
    it is behind the glove box. you have to open the glove box and take it off and its up under there.
  • plm454plm454 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    Well, hubs are replaced, tires are relatively new (6 mths and not a daily driver), tire pressure checked and problem still persists. Looked at the fuses to 4x4 module under hood and under driver's side panel, all OK, still replaced them.
    So, next to try will be probably the module behind the glovebox and then if needed the 4x4 shift motor on the transfer case.
    FWIW, when I press any of the buttons, there is NO clicking sound coming from the module as far as I can tell.

Info on my module:
    2C54-7H473BD
    Motorola model 2mU152NC04
    Date code: 02119
    Serial 4X4Cm
    PP-MD20