Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura RDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• golfbroker1955golfbroker1955 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2012
    Forget my price. The person to reply to is happy chrissy who managed to buy a 2013 RDX AWD for $33,500. at a Long Island dealership. The manufacturer's list price with destination is $36,615. More than 3k under MSRP and almost 1k under invoice of $34,436. I would love to know where she bought it. Incredible price for a newly released vehicle!!
  • fastgstfastgst Member Posts: 46
    Does anyone know if these are built in Japan or Ohio?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Finally saw one today. Not at a dealer (one had one come in but it was quickly gone).

Actually saw one in the parking lot at Lowes tonight. 99% sure it was that color. And it did look nice. A big different, but not something that looks like it will become trendy or outdated.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• happy_chrissyhappy_chrissy Member Posts: 9
    I had been emailing dealers in the area for their best price and the lowest price I got to was $34500.(which I thought was good) I kept emailing dealers saying that I got this price and thank you but no thank you. They kept coming back to me saying that they can beat it by $300-$600 and my dealer said he would go down another $1000 making it $33500 which he did! (sidebar- I was still speaking with dealers up to 2 hours before I picked up the car) lol The end! YEA!!!!!
    My strategy get it in an email and let the other dealers fight it out and pretend that ur going elsewhere if they can't do better and they will continue to keep calling you to get their business. I am sure other people have done this before..?
    On the window sticker, it says that 15% of the parts come from Japan however, the car is assembled in Ohio. Also,, the engine and he transmission is USA. I think a lot of manufactures are there are changing where the cars are being built. I traded in a Acura with my deal and got $600 above what they told me the wholesale was and that car was built in Japan.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I traded in a Acura with my deal and got $600 above what they told me the wholesale was and that car was built in Japan.

Hello. Keep this in mind when you think about getting $3k off without a trade. They are going to make $3k or more on the trade so they could go below invoice on the new car. I think around $2k off MSRP is a great deal at this point in time without any trade or huge dealer fee. I was at an Acura dealer today and they had over 14 new RDX's on the lot. That same dealer usually only has about 4 in stock. Looks like some inventory is finally starting to catch up.
    If my wife finally has enough with looking and says go get me one of these now, I would probably target 2K off as the trigger point to get it done. as soon as one of the local dealers bites on that (straight deal, no trade) it would be enough for me at this point.

$34,500 for a base AWD is still a lot of coin, but way better than $36,600!

not as good as the $29,000 I can get a Subaru outback limited for (2013 redesign). Though that does not seem to be priority 1 for her...

I saw 0.9% financing is on the 2012 RDX only

What does the 2013 RDX qualify for?
    what are normal bank auto loan financing rates these days? About 4%?

Subarus have great resale and a lot going for them but looks and luxury amenities aren't their strong point. Your wife has probably noticed and I have to agree with her. Better MPG, more luxury, better warranty with the Acura plus great resale.
    well, the subaru gets quite a bit better MPG.

and in terms of amenities, I don't think the RDX has anything that the limited outback doesn't have. They both have the usual stuff. Power passenger seat, dual AC, plenty of the audio plugs, bluetooth, and what not.

resale, tough question, but I am looking more at 10+ years of owning.

I will, however, give you the style point, and for a large % of the population, that trumps all!

but, 6K+ goes a long way to making up for it.

Hmm. I saw someone said they got 0.9% financing just not the 60 month it needs to be 0.9% for 36 months, so just wanted to confirm if that is available..
    edited June 2012
    I think a used Acura RDX is much easier to sell to a used outback. A broader audience IMO.
    edited June 2012
    I am sure you can get $2k off, just pretend to be neutral interested, sit down and make that offer and don't move from it.

If not just leave and say I'm going to the next city's dealer..

They still make good money with $2k off sticker.. most of it is destination charge fluff..
    At least $2k seems reasonable for the top trim from the offers I was throwing out

Look, these cars have no packages added to them so it will be very easy to find the right color if you don't buy it TODAY.
    I made the deal before even mentioning the trade. They found out last minute. Not to mention, my trade was not even worth what they gave me; it had over $170K miles with a few accidents. I seriously doubt they would have made a thousand off the car. There selling it to the auction, they don't keep vehicles like that in the showroom to sell. trust me! Plus i I had already checked out the price b/4..
    When I referenced the better MPG, I was referring to the V6 version of the Outback. I wouldn't even consider the I4 with the CVT compared to the Acura V6/6 spd auto. You can load up any car with all the bells and whistles and still not have the same feel or quality. Kias have tons of bells and whistles but they don't compare to a premium or luxury car. The Subie is not a premium or luxury car either but it is a nice car with a very good AWD system.

10 plus years of ownership does temper the impact of resale value, for sure, but it's still there. I would guess that after 10 years a Subie and Acura would probably be close in reasale value - percentage wise. If I'm going to drive something for ten years, I have to really like the way it looks in addition to all the other attributes. That's why it takes me so much anal research to decide. Hell, if I was leasing every three years it wouldn't be hard at all. ;)
  • fireplaceantfireplaceant Member Posts: 4
    I just picked up a brand new '13 RDX FWD Tech. I discovered when I got it home and was looking at it closely that the weatherstripping around the rear hatch was just hanging loose. This is a brand new car, just off the truck. Apparently no one at the factory or the dealership noticed this. I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.
  • trblmkrtrblmkr Member Posts: 8
    Hi there,

I am in NJ and would like to replicate this deal. I am looking for 2 RDX'13. Will you be able to share who you worked with?

Thank you in advance.
  • patm70patm70 Member Posts: 20
    Being as you live in NJ, email Acura of Denville for their internet price. The price they emailed to me for a base RDX AWD was below $34k and that included destination. I would think their prices for Tech models should also be quite low. Good Luck
    I will give it a try. Thanks!
  • rnolernole Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking at the 2013 RDX 2WD (haven't decided between Non-Tech & TechPkg) and wanted to ask for people to post their invoices (with their personal information redacted of course) so I can accurately determine a fair offer from the local dealerships.

Thanks in advance.
  • depdep Member Posts: 79
    edited July 2012
    A good price for a 2013 RDX right now is going to be $250-$500 over invoice if you are in a larger market and use email/internet to arrange the deal and have some flexibility to take delivery from stock.

Please remember to NEVER discuss price in person or via the phone and ask for the agreed on details to be provided in writing (via email) and that all of the paper work be processed and filled out prior to visiting the dealership to take delivery.

Details would include the year, make, model, trim (Tech, base, etc), paint color, interior color, miles on the ODO, VIN, condition (yes it is NEW but is there any hail damage, repairs, etc), location (is it on the dealer lot or not?), are there any dealer installed options/accessories installed and if so what, and of course price. For price you need to break it down in at least this level of detail:

Invoice price of new car
    +
    Delivery Fee (as charged by Honda)
    +
    Cost of ANYTHING not on the Monetary label like pin stripes, wheels locks, etc.
    +
    Any additional dealer fees like "Internet Buying Fee" or other charges

This + tax and govt. mandated fees will be the cost of the vehicle if you do your job right and don't let the dealer slip in other charges. They will try hard!

If you have a trade you need to find out what the fair trade value is and expect no more than that and you need to be ready to ax the deal if they try to use the trade as a way to extract more money on the deal; i.e. offering you much less than its market value.

If you show up at a dealership before all of these detailes (except the trade) are agreed to in writing all bets are off :)
  • quakerwildcatquakerwildcat Member Posts: 39
    edited July 2012
    What dep posted is a reasonable expectation, though you could do better if the stars are aligned properly in terms of timing, inventory, and the dealerships you're dealing with. Read back through this forum and you'll see examples.

The one place I'll disagree is the advice never to discuss price by phone. In my experience, talking on the phone and getting handed to the sales manager is how you get that last few hundred off the price. You can always confirm via email before coming in.

Also make sure you've listed any accessories you want, such as the cargo tray, wheel locks, etc. You want to be negotiating on the whole package. I can't post my invoice, but my base RDX came in well below dealer invoice including accessories.

P.S. - A simpler way to summarize for the dealer is to ask for a quote including "all non-tax charges and fees." In some states government mandated fees can still vary by dealer, and you may be shopping across states, so you need to consider any differences in fees.

P.P.S. - I've mentioned this before, but tell the dealers that you don't care about color. Once you get your quote, if they don't have the color you want, another dealer with that color may match it.
  • mobil930mobil930 Member Posts: 7
    HI! I GOT MY 2013 RDX FWD WITH TECH IN SOUTH JERSEY! 36,369+ THE FEES! LET ME KNOW IF U WANT 2 KNOW ANY MORE DETAILS! :)
    According to carsdirect, FWD w/Technology MSRP PRICING: $38,915, while
    INVOICE PRICING: $36,865. You got it for $$500 below invoice. Excellet, AFAIK! Was it easy?
    which dealer in south jersey?

• rnolernole Member Posts: 2
    Hi mobil930,

Thank you for your post/reply.

Yes, I most certainly would like to know the specific details of your acquisition.

Also, what other vehicles did you consider and or compare prior to deciding on the 2013 RDX. Did you consider the 2013 FWD "non-tech?"

Thanks,
    ~rnole
    Does anyone know if there is conquest incentive for 2013 RDX? Or any other incentives?
    worked like a charm! Thanks a million :)
  • Hugo_StiglitzHugo_Stiglitz Member Posts: 167
    What prices are people getting for the 2013 AWD with Tech listing for $40,315 (including destination)??
  • ltlladyltllady Member Posts: 27
    Recently I have contacted several Acura dealerships in the Mid Atlantic area with email requests for pricing information. Amazingly, while I got a quick initial email response with a comment about a quick follow up email with pricing information, none of the dealers actually provided any follow up.

Not sure how ignoring internet requests for quotes fits with Acura's sales approach but I do know such arrogance will simply force me to look at something other than Acura. I guess Acura's sales must be booming.

Of course one might inquire why the dealers have web sites inviting requests for quotes when their sales people simply ignore such requests. Strange!
    could be how you asked? Or did you simply click on the "send me a price" link?

I have done that with a couple of dealers in Jersey, an gotten specific price quotes back from all of them via Email. But that will depend on the dealership of course.

I used the web site but included specifics as to my situation. In all three cases, I responded to the dealer's initial email response, but have since heard nothing. No big deal, I will simply buy elsewhere from a more attentive dealership.

It seems to me how a dealership responds to an internet inquiry may not result in an immediate sale but can have future impact.

For example, a couple of years ago, I contacted several Acura dealerships. Some did not respond, some responded with the silly "come on down response." Those I ignored. A couple (Norris Acura and Rosenthal Acura) responded very nicely. I bought from one of them.

Last year a bought second Acura for a relative. I recalled the dealer responses from the prior purchase and once again ignored the dealers who previously did not respond well. We went back to Norris and Rosenthal and we again bought from one of them.

This time I decided to give three other dealers in Maryland and Virginia an opportunity to sell me an Acura. Apparently, a useless bit painless endeavor.

It amazes me how so many sales people seem to be cluelesss as to how to use the internet to make a sale. An email inquiry is likely the first and only chance a dealer will have to turn a sales lead into an actual sale. Of course most leads will not turn into sales, but all leads ignored will not turn into a sale.

Dealers pay a lot of money for sales leads through the many third party web sites. Yet their sales people seem to ignore sales lead they get for free. Makes no sense to me.
    I am also in the mid-Atlantic. When I was ready to buy my RDX, I filled out internet lead forms at 5 different dealers. I included:
    - My phone number
    - Trim and color of the model I wanted
    - List of any accessories I want in the deal
    - A statement such as "I am a price shopper and will go with the best deal, including all non-tax fees and accessories."
    - A statement such as "I am ready to buy and want to complete this purchase by tomorrow, but can take delivery any time in the next 2 weeks."

My phone was ringing off the hook within 10 minutes.
    Perhaps the problem is I don't care to speak to anyone until I get a bit of email traffic. I believe I get a bit of an understanding of the sales approach of a dealership from the willingness of the dealer to engage via email. My experience is dealerships who have yet to embrace the internet are often stuck in the old selling game. Had any of the dealers spent a little time and presented me a decent price quote in a timely manner I would likely be visiting this weekend. As it is, I guess I will be at the beach.
    they like the internet as an advertising tool, and some are better than others with an internet department for responding to price quotes, but that is usally as far as they go. Once you have that, you need to connect to some sort of salesperson to build the relationship.

They also know that the closing rate on email only people is very low. And they play a % game. Just because you are the exception to the rule (maybe!) does not mean they are going to know that, or spend time.

so, you get the "here is our internet price, when do you want to come in to look at it" response.

my experience, once you have actually gone in, looked at the car, and become a "real" buyer (connected to a salesperson) it is much easier to then have email negotiations.

keep in mind that the majority of Email people are just fishing for a price to shop at other dealers (or take to your local preferred one). Again, not something they want to spend a lot of time with, if they have real live customers to work on.

Still, I just recently got an internet quote from a NJ dealer that was followed up by a couple of emails from the internet person (who was not a saleperson), answering questions, but heavily were geared toward "when can you come in to look"? I was not at the point to check to see if I wanted to accept their offer, if I could have just done it via email. Most likely it would have taken a phone call.

my local dealer also sent an email quote, with a contact name if I had quesitons, but again, that was the internet department that pretty much just connected you to a salesman, just with a preset price.

Why not go to the place you prefer, with whatever price you have to beat, and just take care of nailing it down?

Yeah, this may be the age of the internet, but if you hope to get the very best price possible, you will not get it by email (just as you won't see it posted on this forum).
    Two reasons:
    1) Sales people want to size you up over the phone to make sure you are somebody who is really ready to buy and willing to buy from their dealership today
    2) They don't want to put some great deal in writing just so you can show it to their competitors
  • stang1031stang1031 Member Posts: 1
    I would, too. 2013 RDX - AWD & Tech I will buy between VA to CT -- live in Princeton. Color--indifferent. Lowest price with desti was $36,200 (not including TT&L) --haven't discussed trade-in or accessories yet (far from home -- go figure). I'm in no need for a vehicle, so I can wait for better offers / more inventory is released / interest wears off.

Questions for all:

--Anyone out there dealt with Montclair Acura yet?
    --Thoughts of 2013 RDX when compared to the Q5? I need to drive one of those. My only concern is maintenance at the 5+ year mark. 1 year pre-owned would be OK.
    --What is the invoice price for the 2013 RDX Tech AWD? MSRP $40,315.
    --What are the cons/pros (if any) with buying out of state? Extra fees that I need to consider? (VA -> NJ or NY -> NJ, etc)?

Thanks, gentlemen and ladies! :surprise:
    Edmunds has that on the new car page, but it is $37,860. So $36,200 is a good 1,500+ under invoice, which really seems odd since there are no reported incentives, and they are still selling well.

but, I know that Denville Acura is selling below invoice for in stock units, but I don't think they were even that low!

As to the Audi, my wife and I scoped one out but did not drive. Very nice, a bit small (but maybe not smaller than the Acura), and quite pricey.

Very similarly equipped the Q5 is about $4k more than the RDX. I've read quite a bit about expensive Audi service and repairs after warranty expiration. Seems like every time I hear from someone that says Audis are great and don't have problems, they are the ones that lease and turn in the cars just prior to repairs being needed and paid for with their own dime. I love the Audi styling and interior refinement but am spoiled with virtually flawless vehicles the past few years.

As far as that $1500 below invoice price that was previously posted, you'll notice the person has not come back and answered several queries about where exactly they bought it. Not saying anyone is lying but I personally don't believe it.
    I had an Audi 1998 A6 Quattro on a lease. Fortunately ALL the maintenance was up to Audi as was the warranty. The lease was 3y/36K. It had so many suspension problems in that time, it's a good thing I didn't have to pay for repairs. 2 oil leaks, several other engine sensor problems. The only good things were the 4wd performance in snow and the way it protected me when I got rear-ended while at a stop by a SUV going 50+ mph. The SUV hit the driver's side rear, rolled onto 2 wheels, then came down on my hood. $14,000+ damage (totalled) and EMS was able to just open the driver's door even with a small buckle in the roof.

Still, no more Audi's for me.

We have an 04 MDX with 156K on it. It's been at the dealer once, for the 105K timing belt. That's it. Not one problem.
  • billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    Thankfully, not all dealerships remain in the dark ages of automobile sales. Some have actually embraced the internet and gained access to the large number of potential customers who choose to use the internet.

Savy buyers know any price given by a dealer is not the lowest price, even if given over the internet. However, selecting a dealer who provides a comptetive starting price rather than one who refuses to provide a price or provides one which is not comptetive starts the process at a much better price level for the buyer.

Regarding internet inquiries, sales people have no idea who is on the other end of the inquiry. Obviously, some may be serious and others not. So what? Not every sales lead results in a sale but surely sales leads which are ignored never result in a sale. Really, are sales people so busy on a weekday they cannot take a few moments to send an email?

Good internet sales people recognize a person asking for a price is expecting a price. Not responding to a specific customer request is most assuredly certain to drive that customer to another dealership.

Use of the internet gives the sales person one chance before the potential customer moves on. For every sales person ignoring an email inquiry there is another sales person who is most appreciative. In the age of the internet everyone knows pricing anyway. Ignoring that fact will not change it in any way.

A prime reason people use the internet is to avoid (1) telephone calls where a sales person can size them up and perhaps (2) to get a general feel of the sales practices of the dealership. As most of us understand, buyers should always maintain control of the process. Smart buyers use the internet to size up the sales person and dealership rather than allowing the sales person to size them up.

One might inquire, if a dealership is afraid to provide an offer, why do they bother with the charade of offering a price (click here for your special internet price) on their web site?

Oh, one final note, a customer does not need a written price from a dealership to show to a competitor. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ignoring the reality of today's market. In my experience, a verbal quote works just fine. If price is most important, a person need only tell the competitor the price and ask if they can beat it. If not, just go back to the other dealership. If the price is realistic, my bet is most dealers will match it or beat it.
  • billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    You are correct about Radley Acura. They do seem to provide quality internet quotes. Also Pohanka in Chantilly. Perhaps that is why those two dealerships seem to have the most business in the DC area. Two examples of dealerships who have embraced the internet process.

I would also mention Norris Acura in Maryland which also seems to have a very robust internet sales department while saving a few bucks due to a lower doc fee.
    I'd say if you use internet do not ever ever give them your phone number or call them up. Arrange as much as possible via e-mail, internet sales guys actually seem to take shifts and you may get alot of automated follow up e-mail next week, as long as you e-mail back and express interest in a car, someone will help you eventually.

Almost everytime I called a dealer / internet sales it got very aggressive and actually abrasive. Also some lies trying to lure you in. In my case, although not an Acura but I was trying to find out about the cars in their inventory what options does each one have. The person who answer the phone flat out refuses to tell you what it comes with. They are afraid the wrong options will turn me away. I was countered with 2 questions per each of my question.

Finally I improved my "e-mail only" rule and made it clear in my request that I will only consider your dealership if you tell me what options is on this car..
    if you can't tell me this, I understand but I'm going to shop at another place.
    And I started to get a picture of the MSRP sticker of the window or the dealer invoice listing exactly what the car has. A sales person who at least made an effort to walk out to the lot instead of trying some baiting tactics over the phone or e-mail was worth my sale even if I did not get rock bottom price.

Also never express too much interest in a car particular color or interior color etc. I made a mistake of trying to negotiate a set price on a car 8 hours drive away. I got excited and decided to give that "personal touch" of calling up the guy I had been e-mailing with, that's when they wanted me to sign a purchase order and put $1k on my credit card so I can pick it up that weekend, for that extra $200 off. I refused and the guy hung up on me. I could have done much better just flying in and do the offer. It was incredibly difficult to get each $100 off because I had expressed the interest and effort of wanting THAT particular car.

Although sometimes you WILL get a great offer via the e-mail or phone that blows the price of other dealers by almost $500-$1000. I ended up submitting a similar offer via e-mail ($2000 below invoice), after a consult with their GM it was accepted, oh cool, can you show me the car on saturday hopefully to close the deal? Of course. No phone call was needed.
    I and my friend got 2013 RDX AWD BASE each from two different dealerships in Central NJ for $33,6xx + docs + TTL. We picked up particular colors and had waited few days to get them, after paying a deposit.
    I am looking at dchautomotiveparts dot com to buy accessories. It seems to be the cheapest genuine around.
  • martin2498martin2498 Member Posts: 22
    edited July 2012
    Hello everyone,

Just an FYI I was quoted at $38,415 including destination fee for the AWD + tech package. For the AWD no tech package quote was $34,700 including destination.

Add onto this 6.35% for CT sales tax, registration, and documentation (dealer said their documentation was $298)

So including everything final prices
    AWD + tech, about $41k
    For AWD not tech, about $37k

Do these look like good prices?
    Thank you!
    Which CT dealer?
  • tructruc Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2012
    Hello,

I got the same deal in DFW. I purchased the AWD with Tech package including dealer options (tint, wheel locks and mats) for $38,350. Don't know if that is a great price, but it's too late now.
    Looks like you guys both got about $2k under MSRP which is a good price for a newly redesigned vehicle that hasn't been out that long and is in demand. That's about the best price I've seen posted(which I believed) on several different forums.
  • rcj03xrcj03x Member Posts: 1
    Hey Truc,

What dealership in DFW was this? Thank you.