Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura RDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tructruc Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2012
    it was vandergriff acura in arlington. i also tried goodson acura, but they never came back with a quote. it took them about a week to agree to the deal. they were trying to get me to go 38620. i offered 38200. they let me walk out the door. a few days later, i got an email for 38500. i told them i would split the difference and he called me an hour later and asked me when was i going to pick it up. i got the white diamond awd with tech package.
  • geosynchgeosynch Member Posts: 1
    saz_1, congrats on a great deal. I'm in NoVA and looking to pick up an RDX AWD/tech from Radley this weekend. Your price was fantastic, I'd like to see if I can get them to make me the same offer. Any chance you can provide any details such as the salesperson that you worked with? What other dealer's quotes did you use to work them down?
  • tclstcls Member Posts: 8
    Two San Diego area dealers quoted $33,440 or so for a baseline 2013 RDX (no packages) over the phone/Internet, which is about $350 over invoice. I got it at that price (plus tax and fees) mid July.
  • eli2tyreeeli2tyree Member Posts: 6
    Great deal. Did the $33400 include destination? What was your out the door price?
  • martin2498martin2498 Member Posts: 22
    It in actually in MA because I currently live here and am moving to CT so will have to pay that tax. It was Acura Walpole.
  • dcpc08161992dcpc08161992 Member Posts: 1
    It would be helpful if the price is "Out of the door" or "+TTL"... it a big different between the two deals!
  • ron233ron233 Member Posts: 1
    I got a quote for RDX FWD with tech package for 37415 (MSRP 38020+895 = 38915) and after taxes in NC OTD price came to 39100. He is giving All season protection package I ( weather mats + wheel locks + splash guards ) and cargo tray with this price. Is this a good deal??
  • tclstcls Member Posts: 8
    You much know that the invoice before destination is $35,670 for FWD+Tech Package. (http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Acura_RDX/prices/) I paid $400 above invoice+destination for the FWD w/o Tech but with cargo tray. So whether it's high depends on how much the protection package is worth. But my gut feeling is that the price quoted to you is not the best you can get.
  • aberabeeaberabee Member Posts: 2
    What is the hang up with destination? At least it's a consistent charge that makes sense (getting the vehicle from the factory to the dealership). I don't see why everyone seems to think it's BS. The documentation fees, on the other hand, seem to vary from location to location and are much more open for interpretation in my opinion. In addition, destination has a tangible benefit; I don't want to have to go to the factory to pick up my car.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    You're 100% correct. People that don't know any better think destination is some kind of extra negotiable charge and it isn't. It's part of the invoice price. Some people think..."hey, I live down the street from the factory, why should I have to pay the same as someone 2000 miles from the factory?' The only reason the dest. chg. is broken out on the invoice is for advertising purposes, so they can advertise a lower price and then say "plus destination". Try to negotiate the "destination charge" off your next refrigerator and see how well that works. It's part of the invoice price and it is not negotiable.

Ok, you may get some hot shot that says, "bull...., I negotiated the destination off the price". Well, what they really did was they got the dealer to lower their sales price by about the amount of the destination charge. Dealer doesn't care what you call a discount, they just care about the bottome line price. Same way with doc fees. Some states regulate the fees as to how much they can charge and then say if they do charge a doc fee, they have to charge the same to everybody or leave themselves open to discrimination risk. So they all charge and when some "expert negotiator" says they will not pay that exhorbitant doc fee the dealer just says ok and lowers the sale price of the vehicle by that amount and joe blow negotiator thinks they really showed that dealer what for. ;)

Bottome line ---quit worrying about what it's called and just negotiate to your price, it doesn't matter how the dealer breaks it down on the paperwork.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,186
    Conversely, you negotiate what seems like a good price on the car, and when they start adding it up, there is an additional fee of $795 for destination.... What?

"Oh, everyone has to pay for destination... why would we include that in the negotiated price?"

So... it goes both ways.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

It's clearly stated on the window sticker so that would be odd that the customer wouldn't realize it's part of the overall price. Not that I doubt that it has happened but it has never happended to me and I've bought a lot of cars over the years. If I had spent a lot of time negotiating and then they tried to drop that on me.....I would walk, period! Then I know I'm dealing with a real shyster outfit.

I've lived in states where the doc fees are reasonable(as reasonable as it can be I guess) of $150 or less. In Illinois I think it may be something like $151.50. In those states that the dealers want to charge $300, $400 and even $500 I guess you just have to be real diligent and ask up front before you even start negotiating. Nothing wrong with "hey, before we start, what's your doc fee and do you include the dest chg in the negotiation?"
  • ravipatiravipati Member Posts: 1
    Guys, Help me locate best dealer and price to buy Acura RDX 2013 in Washington state, esp in and around Seattle. I got offer for $ 39,300, But that is bit expensive as I feel.

Thx,
    Nagesh
  • billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    Destination, freight, is part of the MSRP of the vehicle. Savy buyers should consider the freight part of the negotiated price rather than a fee.

Documentation fees, on the other hand, are not a cost to a dealer, not part of the price of the car, and most certainly not a fee. Dealers attaching the word fee is clearly designed to enforce the belief, to many buyers, the "fee" is a required part of the deal. In fact, the documentation fee is nothing more than profit for the dealer.

One thing to recognize is the dealer most likely must segregate the fee in the deal. Dealers selectively charging the fee to only some customers will likely run afoul of discrimination laws. However that does not mean a buyer has to pay the fee. A smart buyer will negotiate a price, say $20,000. The dealer would likely try to add the fee, say $300, and make the price $20,300, A savy buyer would say no way and demand the deal be stated as $19,700 + $300 = $20,000.

It astounds me how many people posting on Edmunds seem to have accepted this dealer scam!
  • pzzcatpzzcat Member Posts: 20
    i was quoted at $38,760 for AWD+Tech Package NYC MSRP $40,315 ....ANY ADVICE
  • Hugo_StiglitzHugo_Stiglitz Member Posts: 167
    edited August 2012
    -2K MSRP is the target
    got it,THANK YOU
    i was quoted at NYC $38,760 and NJ (22 MI from my home )$37860 for AWD+Tech Package MSRP $40,315 ....ANY ADVICE
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    buy in Jersey?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited August 2012
    dont know, do you think good price (save $900)
    I think what was meant is that if NJ is close enough it seems like a no-brainer to save the $900. Taxes and title fees are usually paid to home state when registering the car in the state of residence so they would be the same if bought down the street. Unless there is more to this story why not drive a few miles and save the $900?
    -2455 off MSRP... WHAT NJ DEALER..?

If true. New target price! Though they may make it up in misc doc fees....
    Springfield Acura
    any other doc fees i must to pay?because this is my first car

THANKS
    Must be nice to be buying a $40 vehicle as your first car. Color me jealous.
  • quakerwildcatquakerwildcat Member Posts: 39
    Just make sure any quote you get is inclusive of all non-tax charges and any accessories you want, and hold them to it. The only way to get the very best price is to get them competing against each other.
    Actually, that was supposed to say $40k vehicle, not $40. Missed my edit timeout restriction. :blush:
    thank you very much
    edited August 2012
    Don't worry
  • acurabuyer25acurabuyer25 Member Posts: 2
    $33,100 for Base FWD includes tint and wheel locks before TTL. Is this a good price?
    Yes that's a good price. I just bought same car for 33700 with protection package and all weather mats, but I can't complain I got the red color which looks awesome.
  • quakerwildcatquakerwildcat Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2012
    Yes that's a good price, closest I've seen here to what I paid for a fairly similar package, assuming that it includes all non-tax charges. Dealer isn't making much at that point. Go for it.
  • acurabuyer25acurabuyer25 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you guys for your input. Destination charge was not added before. So its 33,100 plus 895 of destination charge. Now tell me 33,995 for base fwd before TTL. Is this a good price?

On a side note, I have spoken with one another dealer and he said he can do only 500 off of Sticker price, i was like really???? Is it becos of low inventory that these prices are not reduced much?
    To clarify my 33700 price, this included destination. Out the door price was 36800 with protection package and all weather mats. Dealer was in Atlanta.
  • rdxer93rdxer93 Member Posts: 1
    I watched this forum quite a bit before purchasing, so I am now contributing.

Here in the upper Midwest it is hit or miss with pricing on the RDXs. Dealers that don't have much inventory are quoting retail, or $300-$500 off sticker. Find the larger dealerships with inventory in the larger cities. Was able to get quotes of $38,500 & $38,800 for an AWD Tech w/dest +ttl in Chicago which I considered a good deal.

However, I am disappointed my local dealer wasn't even in the ballpark @ $300 off sticker. Considering they don't have any on the lot, simply taking my order for a RDX would have netted them a $1,500 profit. I am still stunned they would turn this opportunity down.

Took delivery this week and am very pleased so far. Good luck. Car is great so far.
    So what's the dealer name that you got it from and what was the price? People in Chicago area have inguiring minds.
  • molly55molly55 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me what a good price is for a 2013 Rdx with tech in Florida? I was quoted $1000 off msrp.
  • mobil930mobil930 Member Posts: 7
    I GOT MINE $2600 OFF MSRP!
  • golfbroker1955golfbroker1955 Member Posts: 4
    Where in Florida did you purchase RDX for $2600. off MSRP in reply to poster who was quoted $1000. off MSRP?
  • molly55molly55 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, where did you get $2600 off MSRP!
    In his dreams.
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    Email from Pohanka Acura today. Listed price for 2013 RDX, AWD, with Tech is $36,936 plus freight.
    Changed the title

note...plus freight>>> why not give you that figure..another deceptive practice.
  • patm70patm70 Member Posts: 20
    As for your reply to poster Molly55, she wanted to know RDX FWD with Tech price in Florida. Pohanka Acura is in VA.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Because for some reason, in VA (and a few other places) subtracting destination to make prices appear abnormally low is standard practice. Add it back as never went anywhere, and you're back up to a still aggressive under invoice but doable $37831. Then notice your dealer doc fee that's 2x to 3x higher than other states, etc. and in the end the initial "wow" becomes more normal.
  • clint1970clint1970 Member Posts: 5
    I am getting (from more than one dealer) "internet price" of $36800 or so for the 2013 AWD with Tech Package from northern and central NJ dealers. (MSRP is $40315) This seems to be much less than what people are reporting here. (Typically, isn't MSRP minus $2000 supposed to be a "target" deal?) Any comments? Is there some new rebate I'm not aware of? One of the dealers specified their doc fee to be $270.
    not sure how or why, but I was offered a legit 3k (later upped to 3.3K) off MSRP on a base AWD, so your price seems consistent.

and that was with no add ons or fluff. just DMV and doc fees.

• billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    Dealers attempt to charge a doc fee of $399 in Virginia. However, if you are a resident of Maryland, those dealers typically attempt $199, which is the limit in Maryland. Obviously, $399, while far too high, is less than in Florida or Georgia, for example.

In any case, astute buyers understand the intent of the dealer fee (additional price not dealer cost) and will negotiate accordingly. Personally, I have bought many vehicles in both Virginia and Maryland, as well as other states, and I have yet to find a dealer who will not "negotiate" the dealer "fee."

As a side note, use of the term "fee" is effective. Too many people see the word "fee" and incorrectly assume the amount is legally required. I imagine if dealers called it what it is "additional dealer profit", most people would balk.

Virginia dealers, as well as Maryland dealers, clearly disclose destination is not included in their published prices. People familiar with Edmunds understand the concept of destination charge. I am sure those folks are capable of adding the two numbers (price and freight). My experience shows dealers in many states exclude destination from their published prices.

When buying a vehicle, people need to be most alert when in "the box." That is where the "wow" can disappear in a heart beat.
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    Actually, Virginia is far from the highest for additional dealer profit (ADP), commonly called documentation fee. For example the average ADP in Florida is $610, in Colorado $515, and in Georgia $519. The average for all states is likely close to $250.

Of course such ADP are excessive but so is what dealers charge for overpriced wax jobs, fabric protection, service contracts, or window etching.

Dealers do have so many avenues of additional profit.
    I normally don't lease, so am looking for a reality check.

for a base AWD ($36,600 MSRP), is this lease a strong deal?

36 mo. 10K/year

just DMV fees + 1st mo payment down.

$419/mo (including NJ tax).

Thanks.

• 12161216 Member Posts: 2
    What dealer did you get a $3,300 discount off MSRP from( for the base RDX AWD)?