Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura RDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mjo1mjo1 Member Posts: 16
    It is Honda financing. I got the salesman to come down to $470. I pulled the trigger!
  • mlb11mlb11 Member Posts: 31
    Wow! $470 and that MF is rock bottom for Acura (Honda Finance). I bought in late January assuming they wouldn't go below 3.5% for lease financing and here they've dropped to 2.6%, smart move for you to jump on this! In all honesty, with their willingness to deal and the financing specials, the RDX is currently nearly the same price as the CR-V EX-L!

And the CR-V while nice, is not in the same league as the RDX for luxury and performance.

What color did you choose?
    That's the impression I got. They were very willing to deal and with no pressure at all. I chose the Carbon Gray Pearl with Ebony interior. The payment is actually going to be less, because by the time I get the car, my current lease payoff will be less. I'm getting a little nervous now, given the rise in gas prices and the not-so-stellar fuel economy of the RDX. Oh well, I'll just buy a few less coffees during the week!
  • mlb11mlb11 Member Posts: 31
    Nice color! If you're like me, I have yet to see another RDX on the road...and I get a lot of looks driving it - it seems people have not seen this vehicle yet, which is kind of fun!

Overall great deal! I hear ya about gas prices....during break in (first 1k miles) I got about 16-17 mpg, but this was also in sub-zero weather. I've now got 1,600 miles on it and the last tank yielded 19.7 mpg with about 50/50 mix city/hwy. I think as it gets warmer, more broke-in and they reformulate the gas for summer, it will continue to improve.

I might get flamed for this, but where I live there is a gas station (Road Ranger) that has a mid-grade of 90 minimum octane....I talked to the Acura techs and they thought this was an acceptable octane for the RDX. I've been burning it since I got it and have encountered no loss in power or any other deficiencies encountered with octanes too low for the engine. I believe some citgos also carry a 90 octance mid-grade. You may want to check this out as typically mid-grade is only a dime more.
    Not Citgo! That's run by the Argentinian government!!!
    We're at about 163 for 91 octane where I live.

I've seen one RDX on the road so far. Very nice!!
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Not that it matters, but Citgo is actually Venezuelan--one of our biggest oil suppliers. That's why all of Hugo Chavez' crazy statements about the US are important. Otherwise, he'd just be another commie dictator that we'd all laugh at.
  • kevmiamikevmiami Member Posts: 2
    Puchased week ago in South Florida. Really hard to compare apples to oranges, unless you know all fees being paid. If people are paying the dealer prep (PDI), which is pure profit, documentation fees, etc., they are really not paying invoice. I paid approximately 2.5% over invoice ($783) if no one is paying $600 in dealer prep and $100 documentation stamp, or $184 over invoice, if everyone is paying these. It's a Red Base model, with Roof Rack (kind of ugly, but functional) and door molding. Assuming 3% holdback, this was a pretty profit for the dealer, despite the vehicle being on the lot 63 days. Hindsight; wonder if I couldn't have pushed harder, but hadn't seen this forum and was still significantly less then Edumunds is reporting.

Was fairly easy experience; went late in the afternoon (they don't haggle as long); Didn't split any differences, when "we are close;" and didn't let them "renegotiate the deal," when they tried to add financing (Honda 3.9%) fees and/or document stamps. Ignored all offered insurance (know as "cheese"), blah, blah, blah; and ignored the computer screen the "Sales Manager" showed me, indicating he was loosing $1,500 (right, like I have any idea what number was on his field 67). Take your laptop or palm and create a spreadsheet before you go in; update while you discuss. When they ask, "you brought a computer," answer "why yes, you guys are using one...." Be sure you take multiple "cigarette breaks" (I don't smoke) to discuss with family or friend, away from salesperson. p.s.Love the car!!

• c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I don't think OTD means much unless you live in the same state as me, but my OTD was $30300 + $399 dealer fee + $50 tags + 3.2% VA Tax = $31724.
  • ottoman101ottoman101 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought the RDX Tech this week on Long Island. I negotiated with all the Acura dealers here and the lowest they would go is invoice price, so I accepted it. None of them were willing to take away from the holdback. People may be getting below invoice offers in other parts of the country but unfortunately not on Long Island. For accessories I added the roof rack w/cross rails, the front spoiler, and a remote starter (integrated into the existing remote). They gave me minor discounts on these extras. The total for everything (with the delivery charge and fees) came to roughly 36k. The best part is that I got the color I wanted (black w/ black interior) and it was fresh off the truck (the odometer reading was 0000002). They also gave it to me with a free full tank of gas (I didn't even ask for that).
    I would be curious to know what production number they are up to now -- what is the range of the last 5 digits of your VIN? (just round to the nearest 1000).
    My VIN ends in 19409.
    When I drove my RDX for the first time going home from the dealership, it smelled like something was burning. First I thought it was from outside, then I thought maybe because I turned on the heat. The smell remained even after I turned off the heat. The car wansn't overheating. The next morning I drive back to the dealership service department and they told me that this is normal for new cars. The man said they spray some chemical on the engine and exhaust metals to prevent them from rusting. When this chemical heats up it makes the burning smell. He told me it will go away after driving longer. I drove the rest of the day and the smell seems to be gone so I guess he was right. Has anyone else had this experience?

I also noticed that when the climate control is on the radiator fan (or some fan under the hood) keeps turning on and off but with 10 second intervals. Has anyone else noticed this too?
    That is the highest VIN I have run across so far -- that is indeed fresh off the truck!

The burning smell is common, and the dealer's description was right. I don't remember smelling it on my RDX (so many other "new" smells to mask it), but have on other new cars. Generally, it is undercoating overspray or cosmolene metal protectant that gets on the exhaust.

The fan sound is the AC engaging and disengaging. You probably noticed this at idle, right? When in auto mode, AC cycles on/off all the time except in very cold weather. This is done to dehumidify the air for comfort. You can press the AC button to switch AC off (climate control will still remain in auto mode). I generally keep AC off in the colder months unless it's raining and the interior fogs up. Come summer, I will let it cycle all the time.
    Yeah I notice the fan at idle. Thanks for the info.

Do you know how long I have to drive to get good gas mileage. Right now I'm getting under 12mpg according to the mini computer. I know the car needs to be broke in, but I had the car for 2.5 days and I used half a tank of gas already. I only drove it for 60 miles or so. when I check the instant mpg gauge it shows over 40mpg when coasting, but the second I accelerate it drops to about 5mpg. LOL
    It really depends on the kind of driving you do -- I was getting 20-25mpg right away (80% highway).

Best thing to do is start with a fresh average -- fill up, reset the MPG average, and then drive like a granny and see what you get. The RDX seems to do best when cruising 45-55mph, though I do get 21mpg at 72-75mph.

Craig
  • ramaworamawo Member Posts: 3
    I'm also looking into purchasing a RDX Tech in the Long Island area, will you be able to tell me which dealership on Long Island offered you the invoice price? I contacted several dealerships and they were all above the invoice and some didn't even get back to me. And you said the total for everything came to roughly 36K, is that the out-of-door price with the accessories you've mentioned? That sounds like a very good deal!!
    I got it from Smithtown Acura. I don't remember the exact number but it was between $35,900 and $36,000 with accessories and shipping (not including tax and interest). My first visit to this dealership was 5 or 6 months ago and the sales person remembered me. I asked for discounts and I told him I know what other people are paying right at the start. He told me that since I had visited before he was willing to give me a great discount. First the offer was like $200 or $300 over invoice. I kept acting disappointed and told him that other people are paying $300-$500 below invoice, plus I was going to add on accessories. Eventually we agreed on invoice price. I had help though with the negotiations...my mother came with me. Do not underestimate the power of your mother. LOL
  • jcscjcsc Member Posts: 1
    Just got a quote from a dealer near my house.
    2007 RDX Tech Package $33,595 plus tax and fees

Sales price INCLUDES destination charge, wheel locks, fenderwell trim, and mud guards. NO OTHER HIDDEN FEES!
    I am in SoCal.
    I think it's a great price. do you?
  • derrickflderrickfl Member Posts: 2
    Pardon newbie question, but when you say it is possible to buy RDX for $500 below invoice price, what does this actually mean?

Does it mean that you add on top of that the destination charge, dealer prep fees, tag and sales tax or you just add on top of that tag&tax?
  • derrickflderrickfl Member Posts: 2
    Did anyone purchased RDX in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale recently? If so, please share your buying experience. Also, are there any dealers worth recommending or to be avoided?
  • rdxerrdxer Member Posts: 38
    I want to thank everyone on this forum, based on information from various posts I was able to get a sweet deal on a non-tech RDX. No fuss, no hassle in Northern Virginia.

Got it at invoice (plus $245 dealer garbage fee) plus TTL. They threw in wheel locks and the heavy-duty floor mats. We wound up leasing at (that was sweet, too) -- I'll post the lease info on the RDX leasing forum. Thanks again!

:)
  • budhbudh Member Posts: 109
    Anyone heard of a possible price change in MSRP and invoice in the last few days or weeks for the RDX?

Bud H
  • frizellfrizell Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for all of you guys' post. I finally bought a RDX this weekend. Carbon bronze w/Tech. Here is how much I paid.

RDX w/tech, No options

$34700 OTD

$33177.83 -- Purchase price
    $399 -- Processing fee
    $1007.30 -- Title Tax
    $66.36 -- Dealer license Tax (fee that can be take off)
    $10.00 -- File fee
    $39.50 -- License fee & Title fee

Hope this will help someone get a better price than me.
    and Thank all for posting.
    Very good deal -- almost $800 under invoice! What dealer did you buy from? I bought from Priority in Chesapeake after shopping all the local dealers.
    Thank you all for the useful info, I got my RDX w/Tech at the Park Ave Acura in NJ this weekend. I got it at invoice plus tax and DMV fees. It also came with the wheel lock and they didn't even mention it, I found it in the glove compartment when I got home. I have it in black and ebony interior, I love the car. The ride is not as bumpy as others claimed to be and I got 19 mpg for the first 120 miles of mixed city/highway driving.
    R U William???
    No???
    U don't know him?? Did he not sell the car to u??
  • johnny98johnny98 Member Posts: 88
    What prices have people gotten in the San Francisco area? I'm looking to purchase a RDX Tech. I e-mailed a few local dealers and got quotes slightly over invoice. Other people in this thread are reporting prices well under invoice. Has anyone gotten a price like that in the San Francisco area? Which dealer? Thanks.
  • ekazatskyekazatsky Member Posts: 4
    What dealership was this?
  • ekazatskyekazatsky Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any info on what dealer holdback is on the RDX Tech? Im looking to make a deal this sat. Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Thanks, c_hunter!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Priority Acura!!
    BTW how you come up with $800??
  • hovic8hovic8 Member Posts: 1
    Just got an RDX w/ Tech, wheel locks, splash guards and cargo tray for $33,845 before taxes and fees from Keyes Acura in Van Nuys, CA through their Internet department. Also took advantage of the 36 months 1.9% financing that (I think) ends this month. :shades:
    I just picked up my RDX Tech in San Jose, California. Before buying, I called or e-mailed about half a dozen local Acura dealers and asked for their best price. Most of them offered invoice price right off the bat. A couple offered lower. The best offer was good enough that I took it. I figured that spending a few hours bargaining for another $100 or $200 was not worth my time. Price was $33,600 for an RDX Tech with no accessories, plus tax and license.
  • eyefocuseyefocus Member Posts: 1
    I just got a quote of $490 per month for 36 months with $1700 down(bank fee, security dep,first month, MV fees etc.). No cap cost reduction with NYS tax (8.5%) included in payment.
  • gcb7gcb7 Member Posts: 2
    I put a deposit down on an RDX w/ tech this weekend but haven't signed any paperwork other yet. Is this a good deal? No options yet, but trying to get him to throw in the roof rack.

Selling price: $34,560
    $3,000 down
    15,000 miles/yr
    36 mo.
    Money factor: 0.00108
    Adj Cap Cost: 32,823
    Residual: 52%
    Res Val: $19,325
    Doc fee: $110
    Title Fee: $27
    xfer/deposit: $595
    Monthly payment: $431

What do you think? Good deal or should I keep shopping around?????

thank you!
  • rihoopsrihoops Member Posts: 91
    Why put three thousand down? That does not sound like a great deal to me. I have a buddy who was advised not to buy the roof rack because it was noisy. I don't know if anyone else had an experience like that.
  • gcb7gcb7 Member Posts: 2
    The lease special going on now is $2,999 down with $369/mo with no tech. Any reason compelling why I should back out of this deal?
    First, negotiate the selling price lower if you can. Second, it's in your best interest to not put down money up front in a lease (you are not getting equity like you would by putting a downpayment on a loan). Have them roll the down payment into the monthly payments.
  • kingsilbokingsilbo Member Posts: 1
    Want to thank all the posters on this site, you provide invaluable information in researching the purchase of a new RDX.

Finalizing a deal in OC tomorrow on a Carbon Grey RDX w/ tech, chromes (stock wheels chromed) & protection package for $33,500 + tax ($39,995 sticker w/ the wheels). I'll post the details & final outcome once it happens...

In working via internet w/ six dealers in Southern California, seems like invoice is the STARTING point, the question is how much will they go?

BTW, getting out of a leased Infiniti FX35 w/ tech, sport & touring (which I loved), but this is 99% the same car for $12,000 less. Interior room just about the same, I'll sacrifice passenger power seats & 20 HP for 12 grand any day.
  • noautonoauto Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking about purchasing the RDX, but still very undecided. I haven't meet a single person who actually purchased an RDX in my area. In fact I have yet to see one on the road. I live near San Jose which dealer did you go to? How is the gas mileage issue working for you? Finally, do you love the car? Thanks for any help.
    You should take some test drives. If that doesn't sell you on the RDX, then maybe you should look elsewhere. I really like mine. I think it is smooth and fast and has lots of nice high-tech features for a decent price. I haven't had it long enough to get a good average MPG number, but at legal highway speeds the MPG meter is showing me mid-20s. Obviously, you'll get a lot less with urban stop-and-go driving.

I talked to a few different dealers; all seemed competent. I actually bought it from Hopkins Acura in Redwood City (near where I work), but all the local dealers seemed happy to get invoice price or below. If you go during the week when they're not so busy, they'll let you take a nice long test drive.

BTW - CSAA auto insurance calls the RDX a station wagon, so insurance is cheaper than for a sports car.
  • noautonoauto Member Posts: 2
    I actually test drove the RDX at Hopkins, and I really liked the car. I've been worried about the gas mileage and the fact that I haven't seen it on the road. It got me wondering why. Do you mind if I ask what was your out the door price?
    RDX is not a really flashy SUV, so you're probably not going to notice it on the road unless you're really looking for it. I do see more of them around Silicon Valley than the Infinity FX or Mazda CX-7, though less than the BMW X3.

My sales contract says:
    RDX Tech $33600
    doc fee $55
    sales tax $2776
    title $291
    out the door $36722

My advice is to e-mail several local dealers for price quotes. You can then accept on of those or bring them in to your favorite dealer and ask them to match it. Very easy.
    To all who might be looking into purchasing in the NY/NJ area. I posted in this forum about a month ago mentioning Park Ave Acura that I bought my RDX from because I was happy with the purchasing experience. However, I was extremely disappointed with how they handle problems when it occurs. Overall, they were not responsive and don't take any responsibility. There was such a big difference in the attitude of the salespeople before and after the purchase of the vehicle. I would recommend avoiding the dealership if possible.
    What specific problems did you have? Were there defects in the car?
  • guelerctguelerct Member Posts: 7
    I live in NJ and am looking to get into an RDX with the sweet tech package. I did enjoy the car, but not the dealership. A little pretentious for my tastes. Has anyone in NJ area paid dealer cost for the car? (I am going to trade in and put down about 10k and do the 3.9% financing) I would appreciate any local knowledge.
  • jb1976jb1976 Member Posts: 1
    I want to thank all of you who post. I was able to purchase an RDX with Tech two weeks ago in Houston, TX. Here is how it broke down for us.

$33,600 - Purchase Price
    $2,100 - Tax
    $262 - Title and License

$35,962 - Drive off the lot price

Hope this helps anyone else about to buy.

PS. Love the car! :)