Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Transmission Questions

Comments

• guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I've had my Sport MT for two weeks and haven't experienced anything unusual about the clutch or shift mechanism... very smooth and easy to operate.

I'll be interested to hear what the problem is with your Sport MT, good luck.

~marc
  • bluebell2bluebell2 Member Posts: 21
    Have driven the Fit for more than 9,000 miles. The clunk seems to be the way it is. No problem - got used to it. Haven't experienced what you report with the clutch, but have experienced the slip from 1st to 2nd gear every once in a while. Service hasn't found anything wrong when we brought the car in. Will look for your post saying what your service folks say/do.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I assume that you can shift from D to S while driving...correct?
  • ellipseellipse Member Posts: 2
    My Fit went to the dealer. 3 people drove it. And of course they could find nothing wrong with the shifting. They said they could only get it to pop out of 2nd if they didn't put it all the way in gear. Maybe when it's not shifting smoothly I'm not getting it all the way into 2nd. I've been driving manual Hondas for 14 years now so I'm not sure why there's a learning curve on this car. I'm just not happy that it's really smooth sometimes and then the next round of shifting feels like gravel is involved. I'm also getting a lot of vibration in the gear shift in 2nd gear too... but of course... that's intermittent as well!

In December the Fit will be going to a different Honda mechanic that has worked on my cars in the past. He's been able to diagnose and fix problems other dealerships couldn't solve in multiple visits. So if there really is something wrong with the Fit... he should have a solution. I'll repost with further information!
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    My Fit Sport 5spd has over 16K miles and aside from the initial clunking sound that I deemed normal and have gotten used to, I've not experienced any slip whatsoever between 1st and 2nd gear. Done this at different shift points. Only reason 2nd gear would vibrate is if you shift way too early but that is the case for any car. Its still fine even with the occasional accidental grinding of the gears. Have you opened up a case with Honda?
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    I have never had my shifter pop out of 2nd, and it certainly never feels like any "gravel" is involved in shifting :surprise: , but sometimes the notchy shifter gets stuck for a moment when shifting into second. It is usually just my own carelessness while shifting, as it has only happened two or three times since I bought it in April.

As for the vibration, I think that is normal, as my shifter has a little bit of vibration in second as well. It's nothing major, but if I hold onto the shifter, I can usually feel a difference whereas in 1, 3, 4, or 5 there is nothing. Maybe someone else can confirm this?
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    I have never experienced any abnormal slip between 1st and 2nd either. I'm curious about this clunking sound people have heard. I'm sure it was mentioned in another post, but when do you hear it?
  • ejonavinejonavin Member Posts: 36
    Can you start out in 2nd gear if you're in D, or does it only work when you're in S?
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    For me, the clunking sound is when "shifting" from 1st to 2nd and maybe 3rd gear. Not clunking like something is loose in the transmission. I'm convinced its just the way the gearbox is designed. My old TSX was buttery smooth when shifting with a flick since it had a short shifter so I'm probably asking too much from the Fit.
  • crowbcrowb Member Posts: 15
    Hi all, new to the forum. Thanks for all of the information you've provided me in the past. It led me to purchase my Fit, and I love it. To answer the question:

I assume that you can shift from D to S while driving...correct?

Yes, you can shift from D to S and back again while driving. S is not only for setting the paddle shifters in manual mode; you can also drive in S mode as a normal automatic transmission. This mode is intended more for stop and go traffic, according to the owners manual. In S mode, the automatic transmission will not shift into 5th gear. You will experience longer gears from 1st through 4th, higher revs, and sportier feel to the car as opposed to regular D mode. I guess this is to keep up with the lurch and stall nature of city driving so you don't get people cutting you off. Or perhaps its to save the transmission from needless shifting...

I have tried this and it does work. I guess one could potentially drive around in S all of the time with no ill effects other than gas mileage. Or you could drive in S mode and shift into D when you want to bump into 5th gear for cruising speeds.

Compared to my 1998 Corolla (A/T) this car is light years more versatile and adaptible. I couldn't be more pleased. Hope this post helped.
    So the S mode is really no different than the L mode in most automatics.

That makes sense, because when I'm on the highway in D and I want to put it in S to keep the car in 5th gear, when I first shift from D to S, the car downshifts to 4th gear, and then I just use the paddle shifters to put it back in 5th. I originally did this because I wasn't sure if the transmission was really sensitive and would drop to 4th every time I pressed the gas on the highway when I was in 5th, but after a week of driving, it seems like D works fine on the highway and it stays in 5th unless you really press down hard on the gas.
  • crowbcrowb Member Posts: 15
    I guess it depends on your definition of "press hard on the gas". In our area we have some moderate elevation, and in certain areas the Fit will shift into 4th even with a minimal touch on the gas (i.e. you are trying to maintain speed on an incline).

I like your solution: shift into S, and then paddle shift into 5th. That would be especially useful on long trips I imagine. I have just tried to be mindful of the terrain and my speed while driving. If it looks like the transmission might shift into 4th on me when I don't need it, I will bump the paddle shifter up. My theory on this is that it momentarily reinforces 5th gear on the car, so that it won't shift out of it for a few seconds. I have no idea if what I'm doing is actually helping though. I still have to pay attention to the road after all ;)

So far the transmission on the Fit has taken some getting used to. My old automatic was a three speed that wouldn't downshift without orders signed in triplicate :P
  • hsipeshsipes Member Posts: 7
    Just starting driving my new MT Fit. I noticed that my engine is revving up when I shift from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th, etc. I made double sure that I was not slightly pressing on the gas peddle. A friend of mine said Nissan MT vehicles did this to keep the engine from slowing down during shifting. Has anyone else noticed this revving up? I am only the second MT owner in Radcliff, so the sales guys have no clue.

Thanks,

Henry
  • kaputnikkaputnik Member Posts: 7
    I've had my manual transmission Fit for 2 and half weeks and mine doesn't rev when I shift gears. I've been driving manuals all my life (one was a Nissan) and have never had a car do that. I'd take it to the dealer and ask them to check it out, doesn't sound right to me.
    It is very possible that it is me. I have not driven a manual for 20 years. I will play dumb here and ask a question, should I take my foot completely off the gas pedel before I press in the clutch? A friend of mine suggested that I may be slightly pressing the gas pedal while pushing the clutch.
  • kaputnikkaputnik Member Posts: 7
    Well let's see, driving a manual transmission is so second nature to me I need to think about that. The two pedals aren't exclusive of each other, while engaging the clutch you let off the gas and vice versa. So to answer your question, no, you don't take your foot completely off the gas before engaging the clutch but you do both at the same time, press in one, let off the other. You really have to get the feel of the car to drive a manual properly, that's one reason I like driving manuals. But the engine shouldn't rev in between shifting. Do you know anyone that knows how to drive a manual that could take your car for a spin and tell you if it's you or the car?
  • mwqamwqa Member Posts: 106
    I wouldn't worry. My girlfriend is learning to drive manual and she is taught to press down on the gas (thereby revving the engine) when she changes gears.

It’s a new car and it takes time to get a feel for driving it. I’ve had a new Matrix for 3 months and only now able to avoid stalling it. That’s with over 10 years of experience driving a manual. What can I say – it’s easier to stall than my previous car. :blush:

Once you have a feel for it, you'll naturally minimize the revving.
  • fitluverfitluver Member Posts: 198
    Do you know anyone that knows how to drive a manual that could take your car for a spin and tell you if it's you or the car?

I too have had 20 years of MT driving and got mine four weeks ago.

I noticed a sound too when doing certain things, but it seemed to have more to do with changing surface area between roadway and driveway for example. Sometimes on gravel.

I wonder if it has to do with the antilock brakes, which is something I never had in 20 years. Does the car automatically adjust the necessary brake control changes in different driving situations?

It COULD be me, still getting used to the car as well but it seems to happen the same places all the time (driveway and work driveway with surface changes.)

Anyone know?
    Going to ask on the brake board also.
    I wouldn't worry. My girlfriend is learning to drive manual and she is taught to press down on the gas (thereby revving the engine) when she changes gears.

It’s a new car and it takes time to get a feel for driving it. I’ve had a new Matrix for 3 months and only now able to avoid stalling it. That’s with over 10 years of experience driving a manual. What can I say – it’s easier to stall than my previous car.

Once you have a feel for it, you'll naturally minimize the revving.

Don't feel bad. I have been driving MT and I did some crazy stupid stuff waiting to get through the drive through car wash. I accidentally stalled it several times simply because I forgot it was still running. It is just so quiet and purrs. At another point, I tried to start it a second time.

Doesn't work. :)

I wont make those mistakes again I hope. I also feel pretty good about the car, like I didn't kill it or anything. lol
    Thanks for the replys. After another day of driving, I have determined that it is strictly timing. After 20 years of driving automatic transmissions, I have a lead foot. It does not like leaving the gas pedal. If I force myself to lift my foot off the gas pedal, just prior to engaging the clutch, the engine does not rev. I absolutely love the car though. I forgot about how much fun it is to drive a manual.

Henry
  • philpdnphilpdn Member Posts: 1
    I guess the cruise control situation hasn't changed?

Recently I talked with three dealers about the Fit, it looks almost perfect as a utility vehicle for my computer & network repair business,

_Except_

Obviously I don't want the sport package, this will be a work vehicle. But I need cruise control, since many of my service calls involve driving on the freeway for an hour or more.

The only other problem was the dealer loading all his cars with "goodies" which I don't want and can't afford. Probably I can find a way around that eventually, but the cruise control problem has me stumped, for the moment. Maybe something will change next year?
  • fittmanfittman Member Posts: 7
    Yes, Henry: I've been driving manuals for the past 20 years, and since I've only had my Fit 3 days, I thought maybe it was just unfamiliarity w/ the car, but after making a concious effort to lfit off the gas pedal when shifting, I've noticed that the engine revs occasionally. I think that it has something to do with the drive by wire throttle.
    I've noticed that the engine revs occasionally. I think that it has something to do with the drive by wire throttle.

Is it possible that the antilock brakes are causing that rev?

I dont have a clue what drive by wire throttle is, but perhaps that is it?

My commute is mostly highway and on long weekend highway trips, driving without cruise makes my foot too sore and makes for better gas mileage. On the highway, I can always tell the driver who isn’t using cruise because I’ll be doing 75mph on cruise in the left lane and come up to someone passing another vehicle who will invariably slow down as they’re passing a car and then speed up once past.

You realize dont you that you arent supposed to drive a car in cruise while traveling thru traffic, right?

• anahita61anahita61 Member Posts: 110
    This is my fifth day with my new Fit MT, and the only weirdness I'm noticing with shifting is when I put it in 5th gear, just before I let go, there's this vibration in the gear shift. It's not in any of the other gears, so I'm not sure what it's about. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, and maybe I'm not letting go fast enough, I really don't know. I hope it's not harmful...

I drove my MT Tercel for 22 years, and the shifting is pretty different on the Fit. Totally different feel really. I have only stalled trying to get into first, and once was taking my boss on a little drive! Embarrassing, but he's a good sport and didn't make fun of me at all. The car behind me honked, which was not a good time.

I think your revving is your lead foot, as you say, but I'd like to know if anyone else experiences the vibration in the gear shift when they let go after shifting into 5th.
    "Drive by wire" means that instead of a mechanical linkage from the gas pedal to the engine/carburetor, you now have an electronic link; with no direct connection. I have observed that the gas pedal is VERY sensitive, and the lightest of pressure causes the engine rpm to increase...therefore, if I do not totally lift my size 13 "leadfoot" from the pedal, then I get a "rev" between shifts. Maybe that's what we're experiencing! Technology marches on!!! :)
    Well, I feel better now I know I am not the only one. I was worried this may affect my mileage, but I got 40.3 mpg at my first fill up. I will inquire more at the dealer when I get my first oil change and reply back with my findings.

Thanks,

Henry
    "Drive by wire" means that instead of a mechanical linkage from the gas pedal to the engine/carburetor, you now have an electronic link; with no direct connection. I have observed that the gas pedal is VERY sensitive, and the lightest of pressure causes the engine rpm to increase...therefore, if I do not totally lift my size 13 "leadfoot" from the pedal, then I get a "rev" between shifts. Maybe that's what we're experiencing! Technology marches on!!!

Honest to goodness, I do not think that is it. I am seeing it repeatedly in my daily commute, and always at the same points and times.

I drive a variety of terrain weekly, and find it to occur often when turning and on some hills. Sometimes I am going up, sometimes I am going down.

I cannot figure it out.

I have to cut myself some slack, in that I am still learning how to drive this car.

The mileage is going back up but if it slips again, I am going to have to turn my radio down and work on driving it well/better. :P
    I get the same sound at the same points in the commute. I do not know if I should be concerned. I have never had drive by wire throttle, nor have I had antilock brakes and I am not sure if that is tied in with that slight rev.

It sounds like an engine readjustment of some type but I am not sure.

I have a MT and sometimes I am speeding up, others slowing when the sound occurs. The only thing that seems to be common is that it makes the rev when I am on changing road surfaces (going over a grate, going from gravel to pavement, that sort of thing.)

Anyone know anything about this?

It may be nothing, or just normal part of the throttle or braking system, but it would help to know.

Thanks in advance.
    I get the same sound at the same points in the commute. I do not know if I should be concerned. I have never had drive by wire throttle, nor have I had antilock brakes and I am not sure if that is tied in with that slight rev.

I have a MT and sometimes I am speeding up, others slowing when the sound occurs. The only thing that seems to be common is that it makes the rev when I am on changing road surfaces (going over a grate, going from gravel to pavement, that sort of thing.)

It may be nothing, or just normal part of the throttle or braking system, but it would help to know.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.
    Pardon my computer glitch and 3 identical posts.

So, about that revving sound.

Is it the drive by wire throttle?
    Are you running your AC? It's been pretty warm here in Kentucky for March. I have been running my AC and noticed the compressor coming on and off.

Henry
    Are you running your AC? It's been pretty warm here in Kentucky for March. I have been running my AC and noticed the compressor coming on and off.

Henry

I WISH* it was warm enough to run air but it has been fairly cold most of the time here. It happens in all types of weather.

I have the MT, not the auto. I am desperately looking to find someone that understands the drive by wire throttle to see if that device explains the sound I hear.

It is very consistant. I am sure both feet arent on any pedal at any point in time when it happens.

When I go from road to gravel or gravel to road, it is in first gear and just starting to "kick in" or is it "kick out" depending on whether I am starting or stopping.

The other time it happens in second is going down a steep hill, 20 mph and it seems also as tho I hit some gravel at the top too that might be spinning it out. Not sure.

Anyone?
    Does anyone here know exactly how this works in an MT?

I hear a sort of revving at certain points in my commute and I do not know if it has something to do with the drive by wire throttle.

I do not know much about it, and any explaination is useful.

I am used to a car that is NOT run by a computer, or minimally so, so this is a new thing for me. Never had ABS either.

I notice a sort of revving sound during certain points in travel, mainly going from one type of road surface to another. (ie gravel to road, road to gravel, road to grated bridge and back etc.)

Does the engine or transmission "adjust itself" when you hit different types of road surfaces?

Help anyone!
    You realize dont you that you arent supposed to drive a car in cruise while traveling thru traffic, right?

Where did you ever hear that one?

Where did you ever hear that one?

That little warning box on page 127 with the bright orange warning sign that says "use the cruise control only when travelling on open highways in good weather".

I realize that is vague but in previous cars also it was spelled out not to use cruise in heavy traffic.

Part of the reason being that if you use the cruise to slow down, it does not light the brake light and someone can easily come up on you too fast because they do not know you disengaged. I would imagine hitting cancel would also not engage the brake light.

And we all already know not to use it on wet roads, right? :)
    According to the May, 2007 edition of Motor Trend magazine, (Page 168)one of the things that they don't care for concerning their long term manual Civic Si, is the fact that the revs don't drop when depressing the clutch to shift. The Civic also has the "drive by wire" system, and apparently, this feature is engineered in to prevent the engine from suddenly running rich (smog control!) when the throttle closes abruptly; which is anytime you lift your foot from the accelerator. :confuse:
  • nordonordo Member Posts: 12
    I use my cruise all the time. Even in town. Makes it easy to do the speed limit if you are impaired in any way. One less thing to worry about. Not that I would condone that sort of behavior.
    When I take my foot the gas, my brake lights don't come on.
    I also run with scissors and play with BB Gun's.
    I use my cruise in the suburbs. In fact, in can be safer because in an emergency, I don't have to move my foot from the gas to the brake, but just press the brake. So I'm saving a fraction of a second.
    I use my cruise in the suburbs. In fact, in can be safer because in an emergency, I don't have to move my foot from the gas to the brake, but just press the brake. So I'm saving a fraction of a second.

Not sure what you are getting at here. :)

I just explained why it has been said that you should not use the cruise in heavy traffic.

I occasionally run with scissors too.

They are not NEARLY as deadly as the roadways.

So....I prefer to drive on my own when the traffic is heavy.

• jkandelljkandell Member Posts: 116
    "Throttle by wire" means that instead of a mechanical connection between the pedal and engine valves, like a cable, the signal is measured electronically (with sensors) and then relayed via a microchip to ecu and to the engine. Supposedly this is more efficient because the computer can synthesize various data and control the engine in the best way. I'm not sure what noise you're hearing, it's probably not connected to the throttle. Could it be the tires? The Fit's a pretty noisy car. The throttle by wire uses DC motors to move the valves, so maybe that's what you're hearing. The engine doesn't adjust to the type of road per se, but the computer synthesizes throttle, rpm, gear, and other factors, so perhaps a different road surface changes the traction and requires more engine.
    "Throttle by wire" means that instead of a mechanical connection between the pedal and engine valves, like a cable, the signal is measured electronically (with sensors) and then relayed via a microchip to ecu and to the engine. Supposedly this is more efficient because the computer can synthesize various data and control the engine in the best way. I'm not sure what noise you're hearing, it's probably not connected to the throttle. Could it be the tires? The Fit's a pretty noisy car. The throttle by wire uses DC motors to move the valves, so maybe that's what you're hearing. The engine doesn't adjust to the type of road per se, but the computer synthesizes throttle, rpm, gear, and other factors, so perhaps a different road surface changes the traction and requires more engine.

Actually it COULD be the drive by wire throttle.

When I pull out of my driveway, and straighten up the steering wheel as I begin to engage the engine to move forward on the straightaway, it revs up and adjusts (settles back down).

The exact same thing happens when I am pulling out of my parking space at work and straighten the wheel.

It happens basically when I go from park/no motion, to straightening the wheel on the level surface/straightaway.

It ALSO happens when I am pulling into same (pulling onto gravel driveway with a pretty good cut of the steering wheel, or, pulling into gravel parking lot at a pretty good turn.)

It happens so consistantly. It revs, then settles once i am "on solid ground" so to speak.

It MIGHT even do it after making a left or right at a regular stop, when I straighten wheel up to drive but I haven't paid THAT close attention.

Can someone else pay close attention to their MT at times like these? (ie solid turns such as parking/pulling out of a parking spot, driveway etc?)

Let me know?

I have a friend that just bought same car and I might ask to borrow her car for a quickie. It might give me peace of mind.

• SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
  • patriot11789patriot11789 Member Posts: 1
    the clutch in a paddle shift system is electronic right? in terms of racing...can the transmission or clutch itself be damaged by shift timing?
  • redandyredandy Member Posts: 1
    There is no clutch on an AT fit, with or without the paddle shifters. The paddle shifters simply allow 'manumatic' shifting of the car; the transmission itself is is still a conventional AT with a torque converter.

It's the same functionality as many other AT cars that let you 'bump' the AT transmission, except that the interface is via paddles rather than on the stick on the floor.

The car will not let you shift inappropriately - if you try to go into a gear that would take the car past redline, the car ignores the command and won't shift.
  • greylock2greylock2 Member Posts: 2
    I've owned a Honda Fit since October 2006. I never noticed any problems with the transmission until about 3 months ago. Whenever I shift to reverse or back again to drive I hear a clunking noise under the car which does not sound normal. I brought the car in for regular service and asked to have this checked out but they said its a problem with all the Fits and there's nothing they can do about it. I'm not sure where to go from here....anyone have any ideas??
  • greylock2greylock2 Member Posts: 2
    I've owned a Honda Fit since October 2006. I never noticed any problems with the transmission until about 3 months ago. Whenever I shift to reverse or back again to drive I hear a clunking noise under the car which does not sound normal. I brought the car in for regular service and asked to have this checked out but they said its a problem with all the Fits and there's nothing they can do about it. I'm not sure where to go from here....anyone have any ideas??