Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Transmission Questions

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
Honda Fit Transmission problems

Comments

• navionnavion Member Posts: 1
    I think that Honda is missing the boat by not offering the marvelous and proven CVT transmission in the US market. Also it would be nice to have the cruise control option without having to go to the sport model which does not appeal to me as I am more interested in practicality.
  • saintloupsaintloup Member Posts: 1
    i absolutely agree. i am really excited about the car but don't particularly want any of the "extras" EXCEPT the cruise control, which, in my mind, is a must. is there an after-market cruise control solution?
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I would have to disagree on the CVT. Having lived with a Mini with the CVT, the jury's still out on its efficiency merits, and I think CVT has issues with low-speed drivability. Maybe it is a better partner for a high-power, high-torque engine...
  • honda411honda411 Member Posts: 2
    There absolutely is an aftermarket solution. Most dealers have companies that come in and do custom leather and sunroof installs. These same companies can offer a cruise system by Audiovox which works well. Installed price listed for a little under $280. American Radio is who I recommend in the Atlanta area.
  • thatsmycallthatsmycall Member Posts: 54
    The Fit has plenty of power for me. I drive a 250 hp oddy and the fit gets off the line and up to speed with much less drama. The AT is better than the 5AT on the van, and seems to spin the motor just a little faster at 60.

My brother in law, tries out the paddle shifters. I guess he doesn't really understand the concept of shifting. He grabs at the downshift, drops it down to first doing 45mph, I think the motor spun about 4-5K, didn't even put up a fuss, couldn't hardly hear it.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    The AT is better than the 5AT on the van, and seems to spin the motor just a little faster at 60.

I think that's because 5AT on the Fit is very closely related to the 5AT unit on the 2006 Civic, one that has torque converter lockup at all gears; that feature is not commonly found in automatic tranmisssions from European cars! :surprise:
  • cecirdrcecirdr Member Posts: 9
    Could you explain what torque converter lockup is? I was wanting the manual transmission, but am now second guessing since it runs at higher rpms at interstate speeds. I need to do a good bit of highway miles and want a quieter ride. Plus...if it's revving higher than the auto, how does it get better gas mileage on the highway?

Thanks.
  • claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    Automatic transmissions are different from manuals in that on a manual transmission, when you let out the clutch, the engine and transmission are directly linked.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm will help you understand how a torque converter works.

Why would a manual get better mileage on the highway? It gets better on the highway by EPA measure. On a long trip at a constant speed where the auto stays in lock up condition, and thus lower RPM, the auto probably would actually get better mileage. The accelerating and decelerating in the EPA test probably result in the manual being slightly higher.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    You said in part:

My brother in law, tries out the paddle shifters. I guess he doesn't really understand the concept of shifting. He grabs at the downshift, drops it down to first doing 45mph,

This is why I recommended trying to get a Fit with fewer than 10 miles on it (you are the first driver) (not a hard thing to do since they are flying off the lots). Unlike, say, a Buick Lucerne, Fit test drivers are aggressive in their test drives.
  • sophieandleosophieandleo Member Posts: 1
    Bought the Fit (Sport Automatic) the day it came out. Great car. The only thing I've noticed is that when I let off the throttle the car seems to deaccelerate quickly as if the engine were acting as a brake (something I would associate with a manual transmission). Is this normal? Is it related to the Drive by Wire or Direct Control system? Just wondering if others have noticed.
  • jonniedeejonniedee Member Posts: 111
    I'll bet you're not use to the "lock-up" torque convertor yet...
  • hondaman25hondaman25 Member Posts: 9
    Yes I've noticed the deacceleration when letting off the throttle. my opinion is it's a 5 speed automatic with more gear ranges that the engine can choose from thus giving the sensation of slowing quicker, plus keep in mind it's a VTEC engine that also has a distinct power band in mid range and when it reaches it's lower limit that sensation of deceleration could also be noticed.

Just my opinion
  • ramoramo Member Posts: 66
    I have been reading a few owner's reviews at Yahoo, and the unsettling ones dealt with transmission problems. Has anyone got info on this?
    http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/honda_fit_2007/4796/model_user_reviews.html;_ylt=- AhJxSQJAwoAbQwShfTXqrte5Ws8F?sort=mh&trimid=19021&modelid=4796&reviewid=1&review- num=33&start=1&show=atf
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Yeah, yahoo gets some Honda hater trolls that show up and write fake reviews. It's quite obvious, don't even worry about it. It's pretty easy to spot the fake posts. Yahoo is useless and a joke.
  • els2023els2023 Member Posts: 29
    I have a sport automatic but have yet to use the paddle shifters. Is there somewhere on the dashboard that will tell you what gear you are in if you use the paddle shifters?

What is the proper way to use them and select gears?

Is there a way to hurt the vehicle when using them?
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    I have the base MT, so mine has a little "Fit" symbol underneath the tachometer, but you should have a little digital number that says what gear it is in.

If you use the paddle shifters while in D, you can use them to get a quick boost of passing power, for example by shifting down into 4th from 5th. It will return to its chosen gear setting after a few seconds though.

If you put the gear selector in S, you can shift the car manually with the paddle shifters. I would think the car have some sort of safety mechanism to prevent you from downshifting at too high of an engine speed, but I haven't driven it so I don't know. The owner's manual should tell you.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    If it is anything like the sportshift on the TL, if you try to shift into too low a gear, it won't shift but it will "remember" your request. And when the rpm have dropped sufficiently, it will complete the downshift.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Yes, there is a number shown on the dash when you use the paddles. There must be some safety thing that won't let the engine shift lower than it should - one time I wanted to downshift to 4th, not realizing that the car had already done so automatically. It shifted to 3d and I wanted to shift it back up to 4th but accidentally used the downshift paddle (I was flustered). I was going about 65 and it (happily) did NOT try to shift to 2nd.
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    I have to tell you, no matter what you read, hear or speak, the MT is the way to go. Those paddle shifters are a joke. I test drove one, it is a gimmick. They don't do anything special. The only way to get the most out of your little 1500cc engine is to drive the manual 5 spd. If you don't know how to drive a manual, learn!
  • johnnyvjjohnnyvj Member Posts: 112
    I have to tell you, no matter what you read, hear or speak, the MT is the way to go. Those paddle shifters are a joke. I test drove one, it is a gimmick. They don't do anything special.

Odd... Car and Driver, in its one-page test in the June issue of a Fit Sport AT, seemed to like the paddle shifters very much. Though they did agree that they still prefer manual.

Still, they much preferred the paddles to a conventional automatic. :)
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    I have to tell you, no matter what you read, hear or speak, the MT is the way to go. Those paddle shifters are a joke.

odd, jeff at TOV is a manual fanatic, has much more experierience than you, and he prefers the AT/paddles in the Fit. It is the first time he has preferred an AT over the manual. I have driven the paddles for over a month and I concur with the expert at TOV. I specifically wanted the MT SPort, but after driving the paddles it was an easy decision to pass on the MT. Your wrong, the paddles are no joke. They perform immediatly and shift faster than you can with the MT. The Fit performs great with the paddles. I've also read other reviews that support this opinion as well. If you don't know how to drive with the paddles, learn!
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    Well, I have been driving manuals for quite some time and consider myself to be an "expert". I guess to each there own. I still prefer the manual any day to an automatic with or without paddles!
    "I still prefer the manual any day to an automatic with or without paddles!"

I completely agree, but the paddle shifters aren't just a gimmick since they do allow for more control. However, nothing beats the real thing. :)

Someone recently criticized my purchase of the Fit with the 5MT, since in their opinion they would only purchase an automatic. Their reasoning was that they can't talk on the cell phone or drink coffee with the manual. :sick:
    (like that is bad thing?!)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    LOL! Why would anyone be drinking coffee when they might be shifting? Same for using a cell phone. There are always hands-free phones and headsets for people who must talk on the phone while on the road. And I suppose a camel pack (insulated) for the coffee. :)
    "There are always hands-free phones and headsets for people who must talk on the phone while on the road."

It is not the use of the hands that worries me about mobile phones while driving...it is the use of the mind.
    I have known manual-shifting since I started driving and unless I am at a constant speed on the motorway for a long time, I usually only have one hand on the steering wheel. However, one's point of focus shifts when talking on the phone (hands-free or otherwise). When people are commanding a two-ton box of metal at 80 mph, they should be focusing on driving, and not whether their non-fat soy latte tastes fine. ;):)
  • ziggy6ziggy6 Member Posts: 9
    I am new to the forum but have enjoyed reading all about my new FIT which is supposed to arrive on June 20. I have a question about the paddles on the steering column. What are they exactly and how do they work? I have also ordered the armrest which came in last week. When my FIT arrives they will be installed. Also looking into the window visors but my dealership does not have. I did find a place that I could order from. Has anyone else ordered this item? Thanks
    Ziggy6 :)
    The paddles have two functions depending on where you have the gear selector. If the car is in "D", it will shift like a normal automatic transmission, but you can use the paddles for short-term gear changes. For example if you are cruising in 5th gear, tap the downshift paddle, and it will go down to 4th for better passing power, then in a few seconds it will return to 5th.
    If the car is in "S" mode you have to do the shifting with the paddles from 1-5 and the car will not automatically shift for you.

College Hills Honda has an imports section. They will have the window visors imported from Australia, but it looks like they are not in stock yet. I have ordered from College Hills Honda, but not the visors.
  • anotherscottanotherscott Member Posts: 93
    You're right, the issue with cell phones isn't having something in your hand. People drive one-handed all the time.

I think you're partially right that it's a concentration issue, but not because conversation is that distracting, people also talk to other passengers all the time. However, the relatively poor sound quality of cell phones does require more concentration than live voices.

I think probably the biggest issue is that people take their eyes off the road to initiate a call (if they don't have voice dialing) and to answer calls (and perhaps to end them). I think those are the most dangerous times. Taking your eyes off the road seems like a bigger issue than use of a hand or conversation.
  • bluebell2bluebell2 Member Posts: 21
    Have a Fit Sport with manual transmission. So far we are very pleased. Excellent mileage, acceleration, and comfort - even with 4 adult passengers and AC on a highway trip.

We noticed that there is a definite sort of clunk sound when the shifter goes to first, second, and third gears. No sound going into 4th or 5th. Honda service adjusted the shifter and lubricated - said some sound is normal for the Fit. We still hear the sound. Any other experiences with this sound? Any other feedback from Honda Service. Our service guys have been very reliable for our past Hondas. Thanks.
  • arlesarles Member Posts: 15
    I have a Fit Sport automatic. I have noticed such a slight sound sometimes at the time I start driving or change from reverse to going forward or vice versa. I don't hear it any other times and did not know whether it was of significance.
  • scubscub Member Posts: 4
    I've had my Fit for about 3 months now and am generally happy. When I start the car in the garage, the engine idles at about 1500 rpm, 600 faster than when warm. When I shift through reverse and into neutral, then 1st, the motor stumbles quite a bit. If I park nose in and then just shift to reverse with the engine at 1500 rpm, the transmission engages with a fairly loud click from the front end of the car. I've noticed this several times and haven't had that experience with any other auto trans. I can't wait for the rpm's to drop while in the garage due to the fumes killing the house ! Is this clicking a Honda trait ? I'll be in for a service fairly soon, so the dealer can look at it.
    My gas mileage for general driving has averaged 42MPG (Imperial). About the same as my ex clapped out diesel VW.
    My major beef is the way the interior plastic gets scuffed by anything that is against it. The back looks like a beater already from our 2 big dogs with all their grit and grime. And the front seat isn't high enough, or padded at the front enough for my long legs.
    Steve
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    I've noticed that if I start the car up cold and go right into Drive (AT), it does jump a bit, as though it was revving a bit high.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Questions about paddle shifters? What are they? How do you use them?
  • frogdaddyfrogdaddy Member Posts: 33
    It will not let you downshift unless your are in the high range (RPM's) of the next lowest gear. If you forget to downshift when in the "sequential mode or S mode" it will downshift for you. It recommends you start out in 2nd if the road is wet to prevent spinning the front wheel drive. This can happen easily in 1st. It's fun when you want to use it, then if you encouter traffic you can put it back in "D". Due to the drive by wire throttle system it's got some pretty good response to it.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Any opinions on which is better?
  • keatingrkeatingr Member Posts: 2
    I ordered a Sport with MT with a three month wait. Dealer called with an AT in my color. Read your desciption of "S" mode with paddle shifters and was intrigued. But I hate AT creep. If I'm in first in "S" mode on level pavement, do I need to brake to keep the car from moving forwards?
  • crimsonacrimsona Member Posts: 153
    Long answer short, yes.
    ALternatively, shift it into Neutral...
  • nuknuknuknuk Member Posts: 7
    Hi. searched the site, this seems as good as any place to ask- Does anyone know of a driving school that could teach how to drive manual trans in Chicago Northwest suburbs? thanks for any help :D
  • fittasticfittastic Member Posts: 18
    I've owned and drive both and love love love MT so when I bought my Base model Fit, I bought it with MT and can't wait for the snow and ice to try to stop me now! ;) I'm not a fan of MT in heavy rush hour traffic, but the control I feel I have over the car outweighs driving in rush hour.
  • fit_nessfit_ness Member Posts: 58
    Sorry I can't help with Chicago, but I'm firmly convinced the best teaching aid is to have the learner bare-footed while learning the zen of the stick from someone who loves driving one. Learn to be the one in control of every aspect of driving your machine, not merely subject to it. You're the boss!

Having someone explain the mechanics of what's going on and "pulling" the clutch out with your foot instead of "releasing" it, learning the sounds, feeling what you are doing by the seat of your pants.

Good luck! I've never owned an automatic and I hope I'm never forced to.
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    I taught all of my siblings and friends to learn manual transmission this way:

Before even take the car on the road: Learn to balance the car with clutch and gas pedals on an inclined area such as your driveway. You're all set.

Balance means car is not moving forward or backward on an inclined driveway [brake pedal is not being applied].
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    I hadn't heard that anyone has released an aftermarket cruise solution that works with the drive-by-wire throttle of the Fit. Are you aware of one, and if so, can you share the make, model info?
  • steevitsteevit Member Posts: 1
    My wife's Fit has around 2,000 miles on it and the transmission is very loud when shifting between Reverse and Drive. We'll be getting this checked out soon at the dealership. Also gas mileage is not as good as expected.
    Maybe when it has more miles on it this will improve.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    this is in reguards to someone asking about aftermarket cruiser control. i had aftermarket cruise install on my chevy tracker a few years ago. and i will say this i will never buy a car again that doesnt come with cruiser control! i paid $375 for the install of the cruiser control from a chevy garage. it worked for 1 year then broke, They replaced it free under warranty. it works still. but the feel of the device is Low grade. cheap looking plastic that doesnt match the flow of the interior. plus its bulky. I need cruise control on whatever i drive. I even have a form of cruise control on my motorcycle!! lol in the end if you opted for aftermarket cruise control, be prepared to pay for it and do NOT expect it to look good...

chris
  • pueopueo Member Posts: 6
    I'll furthermore arkainzeye re: quality of after-market cruise. I got it on my old 87 Toyota Tercel wagon when I bought it new --dealer installed-- for around $200 and it broke after 2 yrs. I didn't look that great either.

I have heard that after market cruise is not possible for the base Fit because of the drive by wire throttle.

I've been living w/o criuse for 17+ years and have learned how to maintain constant speed with my foot. It is not that hard, you can utilize fuel-saving techniques (coasting in neutral downhill etc. --btw, the Fit has tremendous roll) and you will learn to relax in "the zone" while maintaining psychic connection to the vehicle. Whereas cruise allows you to turn off your brain while the vehicle is still zooming along--can be dangerous, lulls you to complacency, inattention.

Yeah, I know long trips are tedious, I live in Texas.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    The ability to drive at a constant speed without cruise control really depends on the seating and pedal position. I’ve found with a more upright seating position, it is more difficult to keep constant pressure on the gas pedal over a long period of time, especially in the Fit which has a pretty touchy gas pedal. In a more traditional lower car, it’s easier though. I think the cruise is great too for long downhills to keep the right combination of engine braking (which uses as much gas as idling in neutral) and constant speed. My commute is mostly highway and on long weekend highway trips, driving without cruise makes my foot too sore and makes for better gas mileage. On the highway, I can always tell the driver who isn’t using cruise because I’ll be doing 75mph on cruise in the left lane and come up to someone passing another vehicle who will invariably slow down as they’re passing a car and then speed up once past. If people would just use cruise more often, there would be a smoother and more even flow of traffic on the highway. So I’m not buying the Fit because it doesn’t have cruise in the base model and I don’t want to pay for the cosmetics on the Sport model, which look ugly to me. So I’ll try the Versa, which has a more sensible method of options.
  • ellipseellipse Member Posts: 2
    I just bought the Fit Sport with manual transmission 5 days ago and I have noticed the clunk sound when shifting. It doesn't feel "wrong." However... about 3 times now I've had some some of slip when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. It feels like it falls into neutral or something between the gears and makes a rather unpleasant noise. I suspect something isn't lined up! It's not gears grinding either. The clutch is so soft compared to my previous car I definitely have it all the way to the floor when shifting. Has anyone else experienced this "slip"? I'll repost the solution (I hope) after the car has been to the dealer.
  • acura03gacura03g Member Posts: 76
    Those reviews are bad. I'm considering a Fit Sport. Now I'm worried about this car.

Btw, I did test drive the Fit Sport. Handles better than Yaris. But interior feels cheap. No map lights, no passenger side vanity mirror, no dead pedal, no armrest. It's really very basic. although it does have 6 airbags which is impressive.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I don't think the interior feels cheap. Although it's lacking the things you mentioned, what it does have is of high quality. The Versa has all of these things, but when I pushed down on various places on the dash, it was already squeeking, unlike the Fit's dash that was solid.

As far as a dead pedal, for me, cars like the Fit where you're sitting in a more upright position, the dead pedal or lack of one doesn't mean too much. When you're sitting lower and your legs are more stretched out then the dead pedal helps because you can't keep your left foot flat, but in the Fit (especially the auto), I can just put my left foot flat and be comfortable.

Armrests would be good if they're attached to the seat, but I've found that in my seating position, the center console armrest is never a very compfortable place for my arm.

Bottom line is you have to compare what you value versus what's available. I've been looking for the perfect 4dr hatch but couldn't find one, so I went with the Fit because for me it was the best of the non-perfect choices.
  • fitluverfitluver Member Posts: 198
    Bottom line is you have to compare what you value versus what's available. I've been looking for the perfect 4dr hatch but couldn't find one, so I went with the Fit because for me it was the best of the non-perfect choices.

lol this is how I make my voting choices...lesser evil.

Ducking and running now....