Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Transmission Questions

13»

Comments

• dgfitdgfit Member Posts: 8
    I did not notice clunking sounds with my sport AT either for the first few months..but, then wow, did I !
    Seems to be more pronounced when car is old along with break squeak/squeal even with foot very fimrly on brakes....
    no sounds like this im my echo or '03 civic before..I tried a new car @ a dealerhip and it sounds like this also...service comments the same as yours...not impressed...cheap car in some ways!!!!!!!!!!!
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    in the fits defense though, while it may not be an actual dual clutch auto, the time it takes the engine to process when you want to shift with the paddles is fantastic: my rabbit would make a noticable pause before shifting when i told it to, whereas the fit seems more ager to please and snappy in this regard.
  • pfleggspfleggs Member Posts: 6
    Blue 5AT.

Does anyone else think it would be helpful to have the gear indicator always lit while in "D" mode?

Coming off a manual transmission, I am thankful that there are paddle shifters to give me control over engine breaking. My only stink is that I don't know what gear I'm in until after I give a paddle a squeeze. Has anyone heard about firmware upgrades that would keep the gear indicator always lit. I know that in 'S' mode I can select clutchless manual, but with only 1800 miles, I haven't explored this option yet.

The main reason
    One reason for my request stems from a time I was engine breaking down a hill and accidentally put it into 2nd when the car had already put itself into 3rd. Anyone who likes to paddle-shift their Fit knows how different the ratios are between 2nd and 3rd. It is an uncomfortable experience for you and your passengers when you don't expect it.

Another reason occurs on my daily commute, when climbing a hill with the need to pass, I like to drop it down to 3rd, but if the car is in 4th and the computer allows it, I might find myself in 2nd when I don't want to be. This isn't quite as big a deal, because I should be looking more at my RPMs and what band will give me an adequate amount of horses and torque.

I guess it's the dreaded 2nd gear that I fear. Putting it into 3rd seems to be the best for passing and engine breaking. Also I'm used to selecting a gear and then giving it gas. Now I just mash down a peddle and hope I give it enough 'gas' so that the logic puts it into the right gear.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I think the problem is that you're trying to drive an automatic like a manual. If you want to drive the Fit as a manual, then just leave it in the sport mode. But when it's D, then treat it as an automatic, so like any automatic, if you need to pass, then simply press the gas and it will downshift based on how much throttle you give it. I think it would be destracting to see every gear change when the car was in Drive.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    agreed. But even so, when you activate the shift paddles in 'D' it does show you what gear you are in; but having this constantly change with or without the paddles would be useless, since no automatic has ever shown this unless you were in some type of 'sport auto' mode.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
  • pfleggspfleggs Member Posts: 6
    Well you are right, I am trying to drive an AT like a manual. I've had a stick for the last 20 years of driving. I can understand what you mean by it being distracting to have gear changes come up on the dash. Remember the old "shift now" lamps that would flash on the dash?. I guess I like enginbreaking and getting my RPMs up before giving the car gas.

The main reason I asked was because of the ratio gap between 2nd and 3rd. I was engine breaking on a hill and stuck it in 2nd. The engine could handle this, but it was unexpected.

I haven't gotten used to full manual mode. I do like those shift paddles.
  • jacintajacinta Member Posts: 6
    I can drive both an AT and MT. I bought an AT sport. I feel like it is sluggish after it shift into third. When I press on the gas it revvs and the fuel meter drops. I am only getting 28 mpg. Should I take it to the dealer?
  • jtbryant12jtbryant12 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an AT Sport a week ago. While stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on the highway, the car seemed to shift a bit rough going from first to second and then back to first. My top speed (~15-20mph) seemed to be at the shift point but it still felt real jerky to me. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm going to mention it to my dealer when I get a chance but just wanted to know if this was common.
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    if you are in 2nd at congested traffic speeds, and just let off the gas, it will jerk a bit, just like a manual transmission. I've found that easing off the accelerator helps elminate that.
  • hcfinleyhcfinley Member Posts: 1
    I plan to buy a 2007 fit, and was told by a salesperson that I could buy after market cruise control for the vehicle. I read one post here and the answer seemed to be sidetracked by the "throttle by wire" discussion.

Does anyone know the simple answers to these Q's?

1) Is it possible to install after market cruise control for the Fit base model?

2) How much will it likely cost?

3) Any recommended companies I should seek out?

4) Does the after market cruise void any factory warranty ?

5) Any downside of buying a 2007 vs. 2008 fit?

MANY thanks!
  • twa727twa727 Member Posts: 22
    Our fit has the same exact click you describe. We have 36K on ours, so I don't think its anything to worry about at all.
  • eli8eli8 Member Posts: 14
    hi
    i have a 2007 and every time i drive the car, as i drive forward when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd (automatic)i hear this Horn like sound...it sounds like an old horn on a Model T ford or an old jalopy. I kid you not...it does it every time and now if i stop quickly and the car shifts down, it makes the same noise only louder...it is increasing. Also did it once downshifting around a corner. :(

anyone had this problem????
  • clewis3clewis3 Member Posts: 7
    I am seconding the question by hcfinley on 1/20/08.

Does anyone know if the Base Fit can have Cruise Control added after purchase? I don't believe that Honda will do it, but am wondering about other options and how good they would be.

I want to buy the Base Fit because it has slightly higher clearance than the Sport and I drive occasionally on very rough roads. Not a lot, but often enough that I can imagine the lower trim of the Sport being ripped off by some of the bumps and potholes that take you by surprise.

I suppose the other solution is to have the lower trim removed rather than repaired if it gets damaged.

Any suggestions about the Cruise Control? And/or any feedback on either model and how they do on rough roads?

Thanks!
    hcfinley, did you ever find out the answer to your after market cruise control questions? I have exactly the same questions. I really prefer the base Fit but must have cruise control.

clewis3
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    I have a feeling that, if you can obtain buy the cruise control for Sport as a part, you should be able to retrofit a Base with it. The retrofit would probably require a steering wheel from Sport as well, since that is where the control buttons are located on the Sport. The catch for all these is that this will likely be a DIY project, without a dealership help. I think I've read somewhere in this forum about someone who has done this exact project. Try a search to see whether you can find the thread. Good luck.
    Thanks, jacksan1!
  • boilerbobboilerbob Member Posts: 1
    Am wondering if it saves me money in the long run by downshifting (3-2-1) with the paddles vs. braking. I wonder if I am hurting my new 2008 Sport with gear interations.
  • pilsnerpilsner Member Posts: 8
    I have a Fit that I bought new a few months ago; it has about 2500 miles on it. I am noticing an intermittent but increasingly frequent problem that began with about 400 miles on it. Essentially, the stick sometimes wants to pop out of first gear and will then grind and miss when shifting to second gear. It happens maybe one out of 15 to 20 shifts from first to second gears. It is especially noticeable at high rpms -- the stick will pop out of first with a slight touch and will then grind before going into second. I will have to take it back to the dealer no doubt but has anyone else experienced this? And does anyone have any guess about what it is?
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    My 07 Honda Fit Sport 5spd manual shift knob gave in today at 64K miles and it now has a tear on the rubber edges.

I would like to replace it with the last generation Acura TSX shift knob. Anyone know if the size would be the same?
  • feddupfeddup Member Posts: 11
    I initially wanted to buy a base fit and add aftermarket cruise control. Almost all the people that I found that had done this said it went poorly. The opinions were anything from "poor fit and finish", quit working after a year, looked bad and didn't work right. Anyway I finally bought a sport version (MT) and couldn't be happier. If you do the math the $1400 for the sport version (with cruise) is about right. The wheels and the "ground effects" grow on you. Keyless entry is nice too.
  • amg24amg24 Member Posts: 1
    I'm a new Fit owner (just hit 700 miles!) and am very pleased with the car. I've only had one big question and it's related to my automatic transmission. I can't seem to coast to a stop. It will coast and then jerk to a stop. The dealership checked it out and said the transmission was fine and they didn't feel the issue. Has anyone else experienced this issue or perhaps have an explanation/solution to offer?
  • igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    I've decided on a 2008 Fit base model, and I think I'm going to go back to a Manual Tranny, the first time I've had one since 2002. At that point, I'd driven Manuals for 12 years in the Boston area, and grew tired of them in traffic. But having been away from an MT for 6 years, I do miss it. I like the Fit base for many reasons, the Zen practicality being chief amoung them. I'm also thinking that the MT would force my total involvement with driving, less tempted to be distracted by the things that I'm ashamed to admit are distracting (the cell phone...) ... So... What would You do? What did you choose, and why? MT or AT?
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    I chose to get my '08 GTI in 6MT because it's more of a fun car and not a daily commuter. I also have driven a manual in oppressive commuting traffic (Long Island) and it was unbearable.
  • tjdepere2004tjdepere2004 Member Posts: 40
    What does the Fit have ? A drive belt or a chain? What's the recommended mileage to change if a belt? What,s the approximate cost to change the belt and h2o pump at the dealer?
    Thanks
  • fitisgofitisgo Member Posts: 40
    If you don't think you are going to shift gears a lot (mostly highway commute and not city traffic), the manual may work for you. But if you drive in the city or on an interstate that backs up or grinds to a lot at peak morning/afternoon periods, I'd go with the automatic.

I drove stick shifts sometimes back in the early 70s and it wasn't a problem because there weren't nearly as many cars on the road and rarely were there traffic jams (Minneapolis, MN, at the time).

I have since relocated to Omaha, NE, 10 years ago, and the situation is totally different. In late 2006 I bought a new 07 Ford Focus with 5spd (a really cheap one, $10K brand new on a MSRP of $15K) and drove it 20 miles each way on commute to work. After a while it really wore me out because traffice on the interstate would back up and I'd find myself shifting gears about 200 times in 20 miles and it was taking 45-60 min to get home. By then I was wore out. I sold the car after 1 year and 10,000 miles - it was a nice vehicle but the stick shift had become a problem. Then I bought another new 2007 Ford Focus for my wife to drive, top of the line ($13K paid, MSRP was $19K), with automatic. World of difference (better, more comfortable to drive), but now the gas mileage sucked. 07 Focus with 5spd got 30-32 mpg, same car with AT was only getting 21-22 mpg - 10 mpg less! EPA ratings were 27/34 on the AT Focus, and Ford is not known for their cars actually getting the gas mileage you see on the window stickers. So, dissatisfied with the gas mileage on the Focus with AT I bought, I sold that one too (for $12,500 only $500 off new price and owned it 9 months and drove it 6K miles.

Since Dec 07, I've bought 3 new 08 Fit Sport Automatics (1 for my son, 1 for my wife, 1 for me). We all love our Fits, fun to drive, easy to park/handle, cheap on gas.

If your budget allows, get the AT. I know Fits are getting hard to find and the price the dealers are getting is way up from 3-6 months ago. The MSRP on the 3 Fits I bought were all $16,705, and what I paid for them (without state sales tax, title, license, etc. - all that stuff we pay at our county tax offices after the sale here in NE, and typically ran another $1300-1400/car) was $16,122 (low), $16,167 (middle), and $16,322 (highest). Advertised dealer invoice is $16,122, so I feel I got good deals on all 3 purchases. Getting those kind of prices now would be difficult, but doable if you are a good negotiator.
  • igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    15, 27, 39, 53.

Those are the speeds listed in the owners manual as the best shift points.

However, I'm experiencing something different.

my new fit (just took delivery yesterday) feels more natural at 10, 20, 30, 40 IF i want no greater than 2500 rpms per shift.

anybody else? does this change over time? (granted i've only got 90 miles on the thing!)
  • badselfbadself Member Posts: 39
    Sounds like you might have a defective transmission synchronizer.
  • kfanyokfanyo Member Posts: 1
    Hi, we got our Fit about a month ago and I just love it. It's the best small car (and one of the best cars overall) that I've ever driven. We'll take a trip someday and I expect 45-50 mpg then. We drive for mileage and get 34-35mpg in Baltimore right now.

Having sung all the praises, I've become more and more concerned with the transmission. It doesn't shift smoothly .You often get a little "ah-ha!" moment between gears because the transmission seems to let the engine run free for just a bit before the next gear engages. Sometimes it's enough to make you feel thrown forward in your seat just enough to make you wonder what just happened.

When starting off, it shifts from 1st to 2nd at about 15 mph and then almost immediately shifts to the next gear (3rd or some sort of overdrive gear). The result is that the car seems to lose all power (Small wonder. You're turning 1500 rpm at 20mph with a 1500cc engine) so you give it more gas and then it down shifts and goes on. This annoys my wife. Sometimes she talks about it.

When cruising on a level road and you try to speed up, sometimes it immediately shifts _up_ to a higher gear (of course, again, all power seems to vanish) and then the car seems to figure out that was maybe not a good choice and shifts down again, sometimes two gears.

As I said, we drive for mileage and so we are very easy on the accelerator most of the time. If you are trying to keep up with rush hour traffic, you really don't notice anything undesirable about the transmission but the mileage 'tanks', so to speak.

We took it to the dealer this morning and the shop manager drove it around the block with me as the passenger. He made several comments like: "THAT's not right", "I gotta check for a software update" and "It shouldn't be driving like THAT" and "Don't worry, we'll get that fixed".

I really felt like things were going to be OK.

So I left the car at the dealer and a couple of hours later they called to tell me that all tests had checked out and that the same shop manager had determined that ALL 2009 Fit's drive just like ours and they would be happy to let us drive another one just so we could see for ourselves.

Ever since I got that call, my bull-'feather' detector has been blinking red.

So I thought I would ask you good folks if this transmission behavior sounds familiar and/or normal or do I need to get a bit firm with the dealer and/or Honda in getting this resolved.

Incidentally, the shop manager told me during the test drive that they are not authorized to do any repairs on the transmission in our car. If it doesn't seem right, they change it out, period. I suspect this all-or-nothing approach to transmissions is going to make people in his position a tad resistant to declaring that a transmission is indeed performing at a sub-standard level.

Anyway, I hope I haven't gone on too long and I would love to hear anything you have to say.

Thanks very much in advance,

Ken
  • eli8eli8 Member Posts: 14
    Hi Ken
    sounds fishy to me...i have a 2007 Honda Fit and i had a weird sound in my transmission and still do but it does not affect the drive. Drive the other 2009 cars and drive the same way you described or your wife....i cannot believe all Fits shift that way..i havent any problem with my auto shift and as far as they are not authorized to touch the transmission?????what is THAT...never heard of such a thing. When i had problem in the past..i went to the service manager in Honda and told him i wanted to speak to the representative from Honda who periodically visits. (i believe they visit all of the dealers & service areas ) and speak with her/him about this problem. (they took care of me because they did not want me to speak with the rep from Honda) if they wont or if they say, they dont come here..haha.... go over his head to Honda itself...you can find their address on the internet. Honda stands behind their cars.
    If all the 2009s shifted like you described we would have all kinds of messages on this forum... best
  • ricerxricerx Member Posts: 1
    I'm having similar problems with my 2009 Honda Fit Sport AT. I just bought it back in February. It only has 4,000 miles on it. It drives great on the interstate (35MPG) and ok in the city (30MPG), but I've been told it will improve in time as the engine is broken in. Which brings me to my current dilemma. I think something is wrong with the transmission.

It was always a little jumpy in the lower gears at first, especially when going from a complete stop into 1 or 2, but it seemed to mellow out after a few thousand miles and my awareness of the gas pedal's sensitivity. I dismissed it as a new car that hadn't been broken in yet and continued to drive. Things seemed to be going great, but then I started to notice the car getting stuck in 3rd gear when going down hills. The engine would just wur (sp?) until I assisted it by clicking the right paddle shifter. I shouldn't have to assist an automatic tranny. Anyway, the car did not always do this and like I said mellowed out in time. However, now it's back to getting stuck in 3rd going downhill and it's skipping gears altogether as I drive.

Has anyone ever experienced going from 1st into 5th by the time they reach 35MPH??? It seems to jump right into 3rd, hit 4th at 20MPH, and then 5th at 35MPH. Then the car has no power at all and the engine just wurs/spins.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    It was always a little jumpy in the lower gears at first, especially when going from a complete stop into 1 or 2, but it seemed to mellow out after a few thousand miles and my awareness of the gas pedal's sensitivity. I dismissed it as a new car that hadn't been broken in yet and continued to drive. Things seemed to be going great, but then I started to notice the car getting stuck in 3rd gear when going down hills. The engine would just wur (sp?) until I assisted it by clicking the right paddle shifter. I shouldn't have to assist an automatic tranny. Anyway, the car did not always do this and like I said mellowed out in time. However, now it's back to getting stuck in 3rd going downhill and it's skipping gears altogether as I drive.

Has anyone ever experienced going from 1st into 5th by the time they reach 35MPH??? It seems to jump right into 3rd, hit 4th at 20MPH, and then 5th at 35MPH. Then the car has no power at all and the engine just wurs/spins.

I have a 2009 Fit Sport Auto and it does none of those things. Our car is almost up to 9,000 miles now. It never did any of these things even when new. I would say something is wrong with your car. We do however only get 34 mpg combined.
  • whitehawkwhitehawk Member Posts: 6
    Pilsner, get your Fit back to the dealer pronto - there's something wrong with the shift linkage or 1 - 2 shift mechanism (I don't know the exact name). I had a similar problem with a '69 Mustang! There was too much play with the 1 - 2 shift rod mount. Fits totally different mechanically, but see what the dealer finds. Fit shifters are right at the top, shifting should be flawless!
    Don't be put off if it won't act up for him.

Good luck!
  • ctboyoctboyo Member Posts: 1
    I bought this car last March. There are many good things about it, but the standard transmission is driving me crazy. It makes a loud clicking noise (sometimes two) when going into a gear and, sometimes, when leaving one. The dealer is pretty sure this is normal, but they are investigating.

Has anyone heard of this? Anyone know if there's a way to get ride of the noise? Thanks...
  • dawsonmpdawsonmp Member Posts: 12
    I've got over 66,000 miles on my '07 Fit Sport. I have replaced tires, oil, and oil filter. I need new wiper blades and a cabin air filter. My driving is a pedal to the metal 38 mile commute each way. No problems, I mean really, what else would you expect from a Honda.
  • wjbalikowjbaliko Member Posts: 10
    Hs anyone gotten the Quick shifter option with their
    manual transmission?

I'm familiar with a short shifter on a BMW.
    If the Fit has a truly short shifter it will improve
    the shifting dramatically.

Anyone have any comments?
    Thanks guys
  • sara518sara518 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Fit Sport with around 4 thousand miles. I am concerned about the same clicking noise. It happens when I go from reverse to drive when the car has sat awhile. If i go REAL slow, i don't get this sound. It is very loud. The dealer thinks it is the breaks releasing - which I would think is not normal, either. So i do understand what you are saying. I have only noticed a couple of engine slips, but after reading this I will pay much more attention to how it acts. I don't think a new car should be having these problems.....
  • twicebittwicebit Member Posts: 3
    Bought my '09 5M last week thru C4C, just over 500 mi now. I really appreciate so much about the car and am enjoying it immensely except pulled into garage and when very quiet (no stereo, no fan), when in neutral w/ clutch pedal out, heard a slight constant noise. Then pressed clutch in and it went quiet. Half way thru the clutch stroke could modulate that sound with a half inch movement of the clutch pedal, making noise appear and disappear. Took in for warranty repair documenting the problem on paper but not demonstrating it to them. Service couldn't hear the problem, calling me to say to come pick car up. Nicely, dragged Svc Mgr outside and had him listen as I operated pedal (should have done this in the morning). He said "that's not right". He got in the driver's seat and under the hood, spending about 10 minutes with it. Before I left, he assured me he'd see to it that it was taken care of. He called Honda Engineering and called me to say that Engineering aurthorized him to have me bring car in for a transmission disassembly. I delivered it yest morn and he's estimating they'll have it four days, thru Friday. He's been very helpful and introduced me to the lead mechanic who would be tearing it down. Nice professional man - assured me he would find the problem! I expressed concern that its a new car and I still want a new car when I pick it up. Again, he assured me everything would work out fine. Gave me a free loaner - '09 black on black leather Accord Coupe with 5500 mi. Is it sweet and nearly twice as expensive as my Fit. I still prefer my FIT! Even though I'm concerned, just need to have faith they'll make it right.

I do understand your various problems and great concerns when various ones of you are having these problems and not getting the attention you need. If your individual cases were mine, I'd get ahold of the Service Manager's ear and drag him out to your car. Put him in the passenger's seat like I did and demonstrate the problem. Don't be nervous or fearing that you're taking up too much of his time. You've spent 5 figures on your Fit and it should work correctly. Go for that drive and have him note the problems. If you're out on the road for 30 minutes, so be it. You're in control cause you're in the driver's seat. Be courteous and respectful while being straightforward and insistent. Ask him to note the problems on a pad of paper. Then, if neccessary, ask to come back and jump into a new Fit for a test drive, noting none of the problems you're having with your individual car. I'd keep at him, again kindly and respectfully, till he says he'll get to the bottom of your problem. He does not want a scene in front of other customers when you return to the dealership. Be willing to make one, if he wants to blow you off. You might have to get kinda tough with him. Just remember, you paid good money and the car is not right! While reasoning with him, he should give a darn that one of his cars is running around out there with a tranny problem. If he makes an ignorant comment like "I'm not authorized to work on your trans" or "the problem you're having is normal", and sticks to a comment like that, tell him you'll take it to a fellow dealership and have them look at it. He and his dealership probably won't want the bad press he'll know you'll give, going to a fellow dealer...

If you feel that things must come to a head in the service area or the showroom, be willing to notch it up to that point but you must do it keeping your emotions in control. Do not become a raving lunatic, knowing that other customers and the dealership staff will look at you like you are - a crazy. Losing control and allowing anger to take over will not help you. It'll feel good to tell them off but will hurt you and the probability that your problem will actually be corrected!

Again, you've got to take the bull by the horns and lay on somebody till the problem is corrected. DO NOT accept a blow-off, hoping the problem will go away on its own or that you'll live with it. When the warranty runs out, you'll be sorely sorry you didn't get it taken care of when you had the chance! I'll tell you what, if my car isn't right when I pick it up, I will take my own advice and live at that dealership while pestering Honda on the phone, doing whatever is neccesary to leverage them to take care of "their and my" problem.

All of this written in my humble opinion,

Dan
  • sportfitsportfit Member Posts: 4
    The Gear ratios are absolutely horrid on my 07 Fit, and the drive by wire" is a complete misnomer because the fuel delivery is based on a computer that relays what the gas pedal is doing. There is no "wire" to the engine. I have been around to the dealer 3 times because my engine hesitates when leaving from a start. And when decellerating, the RPM changes by itself no matter that your foot pedal hasn't moved. Then there's the Over-Rev, which happens when you shift on the fly and the engine races up in RPM when you put the clutch in to shift. This does not make for smooth racing up the power curve. Sometimes I skip second gear completely and just throw it into third. From there it performs well. OK, big deal, they got it half right. This is a very frustrating car to drive, but then I shouldn't complain, a CHP officer here in San Diego was killed and his entire family as well when the car's computer caused the gas pedal to race the car down the freeway and he couldn't shut it down. It was a new Lexus. The dealer tried to blame it on the floor mats. Can you believe that ? Like a highway patrolman wouldn't be able to fix that dam quick because they had over 5 miles to stop the speeding car.
    These cars are just over engineered, and we are stuck with the bill and the poor performance.
  • kuligramkuligram Member Posts: 2
    I have a 08 Fit MT, 13k miles. I love the car. However, I have noticed that the several problems with the MT add up to something being wrong (I had the problems from the start, but they seem to get even worse with time).
    1) The 1st gear sometimes pops out to neutral almost by itself when I switch to the 2nd.
    2) When coasting backwards (2-4mph) and switching into the reverse gear I hear a loud grinding noise
    3) When switching into the 2nd gear I hear a thud and the engine experiences a shake each time the gear is selected, also when coasting forward.

Took it to the dealer, who quoted me $800 for transmission teardown to find if this all happened because of my misuse. I am sure I didn't cause these problems, don't know what to expect...will post what happens next...I also like the car for its economy - got 47mpg by going 60mph on a freeway (on a 90F day)
  • neb1997neb1997 Member Posts: 6
    The name is confusing. The wire refers to electronics; in contrast to mechanical parts.
    (from wikipedia) Drive-by-wire, DbW, by-wire, or x-by-wire technology in the automotive industry replaces the traditional mechanical and hydraulic control systems with electronic control systems using electromechanical actuators and human-machine interfaces such as pedal and steering feel emulators. Hence, the traditional components such as the steering column, intermediate shafts, pumps, hoses, fluids, belts, coolers and brake boosters and master cylinders are eliminated from the vehicle. Examples include electronic throttle control and brake-by-wire.
  • kuligramkuligram Member Posts: 2
    The mechanics found some loose bearings and slightly worn gears inside and its all being covered by a warranty. The service quality at Norm Reeves Honda is very good too so I am going to continue to be happy with my Honda Fit.
  • mrfit2010mrfit2010 Member Posts: 1
    I'm experiencing the same thing with my new 2010 model. Have you taken it back to the dealership for a diagnosis? Do you know if this is normal among Fits? Thanks!
  • sidekixsidekix Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Fit which I generally like, but I am having a problem gearing down from 5th to 4th. No trouble gearing up or gearing down except 5th to 4th. Is anyone else experiencing that problem?? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Manual or automatic? What, exactly, is the nature of the problem?
  • abkfit08abkfit08 Member Posts: 1
    I've recently (the past two weeks) started hearing loud knocking/popping (sounds like popcorn popping) under the hood while I'm driving. It doesn't do it while it's idleing, only when I'm driving and it's very random. It does it more so in 2nd/3rd gear, but has also done it in 5th. The mechanic at the dealership says he's "stumped". I'll be taking it back it on Friday for the 3rd time. My warranty runs out in another 1500 miles. It doesn't seem to effect the performance of the car, however it does seem to me like it doesn't have as much power as it used to when I first got it. Any ideas?
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    I have had my 09 Fit for around 8000 miles now and it has been absolutely trouble-free till date. No shifter problems and no other unpleasantness. Just a sheer joy to own and operate. The EPA highway mileage number says 33mpg.....but in mixed driving (50% suburban stop-and-go and 50% hwy at 65-85mph), I have NEVER been able to get it to below 35mpg (the gauge in the car is seriously optimistic and shows in the 40mpg range)....and typically get in the 37-38mpg range. During the winter months, with snow tires, the mileage in MIXED driving did drop down to 29mpg-33mpg but that I guess is par for the course for those conditions (minnesota winters).

In fact, I used to have an 08 Honda Fit (base with manual trans), which I traded-in for a 7-seater and regretted right away. In a couple of days, I went back and purchased an 09 Fit Sport with manual transmission (I still have my 7-seater of course, in addition to the Fit).
  • robinhenkelrobinhenkel Member Posts: 1
    I have test driven two Honda Fits, a 2008 and a 2010. I'm sold on Hondas and have previously owned three Civics--I think they are great. All lasted past 250,000 miles before I had to retire them.

Now I'm enthusiastic about the Honda Fit, but I have been holding back on purchasing one because on both Fits I drove, the 5 speed manual transmission / linkage seemed mechanically sticky, cumbersome, rough to the feel. When I push it into gear, it seems to mechanically hang up for a moment before it goes into gear. The shifting just doesn't feel as smooth as the 85, 89 and 97 Honda Civic Hatchbacks that I have previously owned.

It that a characteristic of the Honda Fit or did I just run into a couple that were not so smooth in the shifting?

Thank for you input
  • teaton1teaton1 Member Posts: 3
    Bought a 2011 Fit Sport 6 months ago. 5-speed MT. Absolutely love the tranny. No problems whatsoever.
  • wistlowistlo Member Posts: 13
    Honda switched from linkages to cables on the Civic manual transmission in 2001. I had a 97, and then a 2001 (still going with 202,000 miles).

The cable linkage very occasionally will stick a bit and the shifter will pop back into my hand, but this happens once every year or so--literally, about a dozen times in 11 years.

I have a 2009 Fit, and the shifter seems similar. I find the cable linkage actually lighter and more responsive in most situations, but it's definitely a different feel. I'm now well used to it and enjoy driving both sticks.