Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda CX-7 Check Engine Light

Comments

• Options
    vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    Confirmed on the warranty on the gas cap. Mine was replaced about 2 weeks ago under warranty. Dealer had to keep my CX7 overnight, so got a free loaner. CEL has NOT come on since then. Knock on wood...cross my fingers here. :)

Original gas cap design is defective and Mazda is issuing re-designed replacements.

Vince.
  • Options
    nmknmk Member Posts: 111
    Re: Mobil 1 oil change.
    Haven't yet checked with mechanic however did go to Mobil Oil web site. The do not have a recommendation for the CX-7 because of too little date. I did however see what they recommended for the Speed6 having a similar engine.

They suggested using there best oil to change every 15K or 1 year.

So that is the latest.

NMK
    PS. Does anyone else have a toasty firewall. My feet get rather warm which is fine in the winter but not now. Can this be fixed?
  • Options
    just1mnboundjust1mnbound Member Posts: 2
    I bought the Grand Touring CX-7 4 weeks ago. My check engine light went on after 2 weeks. Mazda discovered a problem with using the cell phone charger and the keyless card entry system. When the charger is used, the keyless entry card sends incorrect messages to the system; causing the check engine light to stay on. I also had the alarm go off and I couldn't shut the thing off! I had to just let the car run for a bit and it corrected itself. My check engine light came on again yesterday, so my car will be back in the shop on Monday.
  • Options
    cx7rediccx7redic Member Posts: 18
    Did anyone happen to get a part number for this gas cap, or have their receipt from service with a part #. It would be helpful for the owners who have this problem and can fix it directly with the dealer w/no haggling.

I have 650 miles on mine, and yes the engine light is on. Just from past experience, I unscrewed the cap with the car off, no dice, obviously. I am going in next week and would like to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and have this part waiting for my car. My dealership didnt even have accessory part numbers, i ordered the genuine mazda accessories from a dealership doing online business. I have a feeling they will not know what is going on with the cap. I am going to print out the forum and show them the problem.

Hopefully, its just the cap! and the Mazda redesigned cap ends this nagging issue. Engine lights always gave me the spooks
  • Options
    carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    Did anyone happen to get a part number for this gas cap, or have their receipt from service with a part #.

Try FE02-42-250A. That's what's on my invoice, although all the dealer did was modify my original gas cap by cutting off some of the threads...

-c92
  • Options
    taz6taz6 Member Posts: 19
    400 miles and the CEL is on. Tried to remove and retighten the gas cap - no luck. :sick:
  • Options
    Yep, you'll have to visit the service guys. Removing and tightening the gas cap doesn't work. If it's the gas cap causing the CEL, then Mazda will replace it with a re-designed cap.

Vince.
  • Options
    rightmuchrightmuch Member Posts: 3
    If they don't have the fix by Friday, 10/6, I'm pressing for a buy-back. I've already talked to my dealer about it, and I don't think I'll have any trouble.
  • Options
    taz6taz6 Member Posts: 19
    They held my car overnight and replaced the vacuum pump check valve assemble. They said it was giving a false reading. I had a full tank of gas so they could not fully test the system.

Note: they tell me that to properly test the system Mazda says the fuel tank must be between 1/4 and 3/4 full. Then they can pressure test the fuel system. They said if it happens again to call them and drive the vehicle until this fuel level is reached. So far so good.
  • Options
    aussiedawgaussiedawg Member Posts: 9
    At 800 miles, they replaced the gas cap when the CEL came on, now at 2700 miles it just came on again. We'll see what get's replaced now.
  • Options
    yellowozzieyellowozzie Member Posts: 13
    1700 miles...second CEL. Dealer replaced the purge valve.
  • Options
    rightmuchrightmuch Member Posts: 3
    this car is a disaster. They flew in the Japanese engineer to work on mine. They fixed the stuttering, but the gas mileage is 16 mpg on the highway. Mazda rep has gone AWOL. Will keep you posted.
  • Options
    aussiedawgaussiedawg Member Posts: 9
    Dealer replaced gas cap again, but this time with the redesigned gas cap
  • Options
    fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Just bought a new Cx-7 the other night, check engine light came on this morning. 157 miles. Dealer said to shut vehicle off, take off gas cap, screw back on, drive for a day or so to restart engine a few times. Otherwise, if the CEL stays on, bring vehicle in for new gas cap or purge valve replacement.
  • Options
    wjbushsrwjbushsr Member Posts: 135
    Your dealer is full of crap!
    Mazda has known about this problem since June when I bought my CX-7! Take your car back to them on your next chance and demand that they change the gas cap!
    The problem will NOT fix itself, no matter how many times you restart the vehicle, all the code does is resets itself and thats not a fix.
    The new gas caps are in and dealer-prep should have replaced it for you! :mad:

Other than that, you'll love the car! :shades:
  • Options
    astegmanastegman Member Posts: 171
    Yes, don't bother to wait or to try futzing around with the gas cap. It won't work. My car had the CEL come on 3 times in a 6-week period before I FINALLY wised up and took it to a different dealer who within minutes replaced the gas cap with the new, correct one.

Don't waste your time. Just tell them you want the gas cap replaced ASAP. This is a WELL documented problem!!
  • Options
    Ditto the previous two responses. Had my cap replaced as well...haven't had a CEL in 3000 miles now.

Vince.
  • Options
    Crap! The CEL came on AGAIN Sunday morning for the fourth time in 12 weeks. I've already had the new gas cap put on, had a purge valve replaced, and a leaky hose fixed. So...now what? The car's going in tomorrow anyway - the wind deflector for the sunroof that was on back order has arrived and is to be installed. So...of course I'll tell them about the light! In a moment of weakness over the weekend, before the light came on, I did go to a full service gas station, and perhaps the attendant didn't tighten the cap as well as he should have? Of course as soon as the light came on, I re-tightened the cap but it's made no difference. Oh well, I'm sure it will be resolved tomorrow, but I'm now starting to feel like the CEL light is basically meaningless, which is not a good way to see it! :confuse:
  • Options
    Drove the Cx-7 over to the Mazda dealer this morning. Replaced the gas cap and the check engine went out.Have about 1000 miles on the vehicle and like most everything about it except gas mileage, (getting about 17). I guess you can't have power and gas mileage!
  • Options
    So I have yet another gas cap - the third one. I looked back at my paperwork, and the part number for gas cap #2 and gas cap #3 are the same but for the letter "A" at the end of the number for #3. Whatever!! As long as the CEL light is out and stays out.

On the other hand, they're really getting to know me at the service department, which is coming in handy.
  • Options
    Just had the gas cap replaced, it does tighten to 3 clicks and stays tight. Solved the CEL problem for now.

Do you notice a slight turbo lag at 55 mph while accelerating to higher speeds in Drive? Obviously, using tiptronic mode gives instant power through manually downshifting.
  • Options
    I have to admit, at the risk of looking like a complete doofus, that I've never driven my car in manual. Now, I learned to drive on a stick and have had other manual cars in the past. But nowadays I just put the car in drive and go. I just have no interest in constantly shifting in and out of different gears.
  • Options
    Using the tiptronic gives extra acceleration , does consume extra fuel.I like going through the 6 gears from time to time but do not use the tiptronic on a regular basis.
  • Options
    care4tcare4t Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I've only had the CX-7 for less than two full days, and the check engine light came on. To make matter worse, my car failed the emission inspection.

The dealer tells me that the problem is a minor issue on the faulty gas cap, but how common a faulty gas cap be the primary cause for engine light to come on?

My wife is not happy with the car already... She wanted to get RDX, but I convinced her that CX-7 is a better value.... After spending more than $33K on this vehicle and only two days of driving it, I am begining to regret getting it.

Is a faulty gas cap really that prevalent for CX-7?
  • Options
    sssfegysssfegy Member Posts: 132
    That is the only documented problem with the car and it involves a plastic gas cover that some dealers do not do a necessary quality inspection(change spark plugs etc.) required by Mazda. At least you won't get 11 mpg!
  • Options
    If you read back over this thread, you'll see that the gas cap indeed is a MAJOR issue. It absolutely needs to be replaced ASAP, or your CEL light will be on for good! It's a quick fix, no charge, and should resolve the problem.

Just as an FYI, with every new car I've ever purchased, I've been told that an improperly fitting gas cap will indeed cause the CEL light to come on. I had this happen with a brand new Blazer I bought in 2000. It's not a Mazda issue, it's a car issue. The gas cap simply must fit correctly and form a proper seal. The CX-7 gas caps that come with the car don't do so, and thus, new gas caps had to be issued. So don't delay - just get it done!
  • Options
    2007 is the first model year for the CX-7 and like other new releases, there'll be some hiccups.

I know it's human natue, but don't be so quick to judge the over all quality of the CX-7. The CEL/Gas Cap issue is frustrating, but it is a quick fix.

The CEL/Gas Cap issue appears to be quite common. The cap is defective design. Fortunately, Mazda quickly issued a fix. I'm just curious why Mazda hasn't issued a general recall.

I had mine replaced at 5200 miles and I've got 10000 miles now and no problems since.

Lovin' every minute of it! :P

Vince
  • Options
    rafaelprafaelp Member Posts: 1
    I got my first CEL at aprox 1K miles 3 months ago. I took it to the dealer and according to them they had to 're-calibrate' the sensor. Now at 2.5K it turned on again. I hope this time they replace the gas cap based on what I have read so far in this forum. I agree with those who believe that Mazda should issue a recall. An indicator that in so many cars is setting due to a false alarm is as bad as having a major issue on a few cars. Overall my wife and I are really happy with the car. I think ours is doing 18 mpg.
  • Options
    care4tcare4t Member Posts: 8
    I had another quality control issue with the car last Tuesday – my first day with the car since installing some add-on accessories and returning from a Vegas trip. Seriously, I had only accrued appx. 400 miles on the car, but one-third of that came from my trips to/from the dealership, which is 25 miles away from where I live.

This time, it was with the auto dimming mirror that they’ve installed; just decided to fell to the ground when I was adjusting the mirror. As it turned out that the metal plate, which slides (and holds) into the mirror bracket is broken -- the metal plate is really thin and looks easily breakable. Granted, this seems like a minor issue, but when you’re trying to drive the car to go somewhere, it gets really annoying. Naturally, I began to get agitated by the whole experience with car thus far, and I decided to call the sales manager who gave me his business card last time I was there.

When I told him of the problem, his response was as if I was bothering him with something he doesn’t want and said, “How would I know if you didn’t break it? Just bring the car to the dealer tomorrow…. Is there anything else?“ I was taken off by his rather nonchalant response a bit. So, I decided to bring up another issue that I discovered (could have easily foregone the issue had his response was at least professional.)

The issue was that I had been charged two hours of labor for installing roof rack and auto-dimming mirror at $94/hr, but the actual labor performed totaled up to be only 1 hour -- based on the receipt/invoice they provided. He simply responded in one word, “So?” Now, I got really agitated by his obnoxious (and amazing) response, and asked him if I should be getting money back for one hour that wasn’t necessary.

Again, his response was just as obnoxious and amusing, “No, that was a part of deal. That’s how we can make profit out of the deal.” From there on, I got into a heated argument with him....with no resolution. Granted, his response may have been quite candid and honest. But, it is in no way ethical or professional. I admit that I have also said some things that I shouldn’t have in the heat of moment, but his lack of professionalism or decency forever tainted my image of that dealership, of Mazda, and of automotive sales industry. I had thought about filing a claim with BBB Online, but decided not to. Instead, I am sharing my “buying (and thereafter) experience” with you guys here in the forum. Buyers Be Warned.
  • Options
    smithdavismithdavi Member Posts: 3
    My Check Engine Light came on at 2223 miles. Now I need to take it in. Do you think with high confidence this is due to the known GAS CAP issue??

A little disspointing to have the light on so early in the life of this car.
  • Options
    You didn't mention which dealership?

That's unsat.

The sales manager has a boss.

Go straight to the owner and lay out your experiences.

If he doesn't respond favorably, show him this forum on his desktop computer. Nothing worse than bad, unfavorable press.

Vince.
  • Options
    For me, it was a bad purge valve...at least, they replaced the purge valve, not the gas cap, and the light hasn't gone on since.
  • Options
    My CEL came on at 150 miles of new ownership. It looked obvious that the gas cap wasn't fitting right. Went back to the dealer and had the new cap installed. So far so good at 1700 miles.
  • Options
    Which Mazda dealer in what state shall we not do business with?
  • Options
    seattle10seattle10 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my CX7 in the shop 3 times in 3 months for the CEL. First time the selling dealer gave me a
    "dumb blond" lesson on how to screw on a gas cap. . . I've had 4 new cars in the past 12 years and know the gas cap routine! The second time the CEL came on they told me they replaced the gas cap-however it came on again this week (3800 miles) so I gave up on the selling dealer, who apparently did NOT replace the cap. Dlr # 2 was upfront about the gas cap problem and said they'd have the NEW part next week. So that is 5 trips for service on the dumb gas cap. My 2001 RAV4 was only in the shop this many times in 5 years. . . Very frustrating. :mad:
  • Options
    I feel your pain, seattle10. I am on my THIRD gas cap. I've had the CEL light go on four times in less than three months. The first time, when I called the dealer, I was told to fill the tank, screw the cap on tight, and drive for at least 45 minutes and the light would go out. It didn't. Took the car in, was told it was a faulty purge valve (not gas cap). 2nd time...was told it was a leaky hose (not gas cap). Mind you, I mentioned the gas cap snafu each time I spoke with Service or was actually there. Third time - different dealer - they replaced the gas cap. Fourth time - back to the original dealer - they replaced the gas cap, too! So...I don't know if the second gas cap was really "new" or what...I agree, it's totally frustrating. However, I do love this car and am hoping that I never see the CEL any time soon!!!
  • Options
    syndyzsyndyz Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,
    CX-7 AWD Sport with moonroof/Bose, purchased 10/24, 2100 miles now, 20.6 mpg so far, 30% city, 70% curvy highway (zoom). Paid $26,450 before tax/title/fees.

4 days ago, at 2000 miles, my CEL came on. Called the dealer, they politely said that it's likely due to not screwing on the gas cap tight enough "very common in new cars" they said. I made an appointment anyway, and took it in today. They pulled the code, and said it was in fact the gas cap, and they cleared the code. "Should be OK now". I asked about getting a new gas cap, and they had not heard anything about it, no service bulletin. I mentioned this forum (thanks everyone) and the service manager said he'd look into it.
    On the drive home - nearest dealer is 40 miles away - the dash lights began flickering; just the ones in the center console, not the guages. I turned the heater fan up and down, and each time I messed with the knob the lights would flicker; each bump in the road they flickered.
    Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this?
    ...back to the CEL...
    When I got home I had a message from the SM at the dealership; called him back, and he said he called tech services and they confirmed a bulletin on the gas cap. He's ordering me one, and will have it in a few weeks.

got to say, the SM was really polite, respectful, seemed to care about customer service..

Like the car, hate the cup holders. I'm happy with it so far, but a little worried with the CEL and now the dash lights. Also, it seems to shudder a bit at 55mph on the highway. Doesn't seem to be a balance or power issue, feels like a drive train or tranny shudder.
  • Options
    rex10rex10 Member Posts: 24
    Hi All-

This forum has been very helpful for me while I was making my purchase decision, so I thought I would post that my check engine light has also gone on now at 750 miles. Fortunately, I knew that this was a potential issue when deciding to buy the car or I would be much more disappointed than I am. Having been a Toyota owner before this, I was wary of the reliability of the Mazda name, and now I feel like my fears are being born out already. I'm hopeful that it's just a minor issue. The car is definitely a lot of fun to drive, but to anyone who's still in decision mode - be aware that this issue is still out there. I will post an update on how things go from here. Having read the forum I've been especially careful to put the cap on until it clicks a couple of times. Not looking forward to potential runaround from the dealer.
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I also had this issue. took it in and they wanted me to leave it but I was on my way out of town so they turned (reset) it and asked me to bring it back as it was not the gas cap but a vapor detection devise gone bad.
  • Options
    griffithsgriffiths Member Posts: 1
    Purchased my MX5 on Friday by the time I got home 42 miles the check engine light came on.I haven't even put gas in it yet.
  • Options
    MX-5? This is a CX-7 forum. Are you sure you wanna post here?

Vince.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try the Mazda MX-5 (2006+) discussion. Or skim through the generic "Check Engine" light discussion.

But first check your gas cap and make sure it's clicked on good.
  • Options
    I bought a Cx-7 on 10.24.2006 and the CEL came on within 150 miles. It was obvious that the gas cap didn't fit right. Mazda replaced the cap about 2 weeks later and this has solved the problem as of about 2000 miles.

Bring your MX-5 back to Mazda and have the cap replaced.
  • Options
    First time CEL went off, the purge valve was replaced. Just happened again...this time the gas cap. Hope it works!
  • Options
    markmad3markmad3 Member Posts: 5
    Just had my CEL come on at 950 miles. Took it to the dealer, after checking they said it was the gas cap. They had new ones in stock so I'm good to go.
  • Options
    Turns out that it was not just the gas cap (which was replaced) that caused the CEL to go off. The computer diagnostic showed that the air control valve (acv) was not working properly. The ACV was getting stuck because the IMRC (?) control switch was improperly mounted and not working properly, causing the valve to get carboned up and stuck. They had to remove the switch, elongate the mounting holes and put it all back together.
  • Options
    sssgoundersssgounder Member Posts: 7
    I had my second visit today.. My CEL light came on around 2500 couple of weeks back and called and went to the dealer.. They said it is Gas cap and replaced.. But CEL came yesterday morning.. and Today I went in again and they replaced the GAS cap... Hope it works this time..!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
  • Options
    cxrabbitcxrabbit Member Posts: 134
    Syndyz --

I'm having an issue tonight with the center console lights (all the buttons for the radio) flickering too. Did the dealer resolve it for you and what was the problem?
  • Options
    syndyzsyndyz Member Posts: 4
    cxrabbit,
    glad to hear i'm not the only one...

For now the problem seems to be resolved, but i couldn't tell you what fixed it. Here's what i do know.
    Took it to the dealer for the cel, and the stereo lights flickering. of course, i couldn't get the problem to replicate at the shop. They took a brief look, hooked up the code reader, didn't find anything. Didn't pull the stereo, didn't do anything under the dash at all, and there was no service bulletin for the problem. The SM did call tech services, and apparently they had not heard of any issues.
    But, coincidently there was a software update that needed to be done, which they did. I don't know if the update had anything to do with the stereo lights, but they haven't flickered since that visit. It really doesn't make sense to me.
    The lights never flickered until they pulled the codes for the CEL the first time. The lights began their flickering the same day, and as I said above, they quit the next time the codes were pulled, which was the day they did the software update.
    good luck, keep me posted -- i'm very curious.
  • Options
    cxrabbitcxrabbit Member Posts: 134
    Syndyz,

Thanks for the info... mine haven't flickered except the one night, which happened to also be a VERY cold spell we were having -- I also just heard on another forum that a new service bulletin will be coming out for the check engine light having to do with cold weather... so maybe they are related?

I have to go the dealer Tuesday to get my remote-start issues straightened out (another story) and will talk to them about the flickering and mention the software update thing. If you come over and join the CX-7 Forums I'm a member of we could keep in touch by private message or exchange e-mails. It's also a good place for Mazda owners :)