Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 AC problems

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Anyone know who makes the AC compressors for the CX-7?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    It may not be the "fault" of the compressor, over-charging of the refrigerant, or contamination of same, at the factory, for instance.
    And would that explain all the failed compressors over in the the Honda CR-V AC Compressor Issues?

I'm just wondering if they are Denso compressors and not, say, Panasonics.
  • edgarioedgario Member Posts: 1
    Hello everybody, My name is Edgar and I am from Mexico. Two years ago I bought a Mazda CX7 here in Mexico and past week suddenly the AC didn't function and while I was trying to turn it on I saw smoke from the engine, by luck the smoke didn't come from engine but from A/A compressor. I went to the Dealer and they told me that the compressor got broken and a new one costs 13,000 pesos ($970 USD) (too expensive!!). Unfortunatelly my warranty is not longer valid and I have to pay for a new one. Some of you know if there is a recall in USA or where can I buy this compressor out of Mazda?
    Thank You.
  • sandytelsaintsandytelsaint Member Posts: 1
    I am having the SAME problem. I bought the car used in December of last year and I had a vehicle inspection and the AC compressor did not come up as being a problem. Now, in the middle of summer in South Florida (just after my warranty expires) my AC starts blowing warm. I took it to the dealership and they told me that AC compressor gave out. The rep also said that he has seen this serveral time with the CX7. I called two other dealers in the area and they have advised that they are seeing the exact same problem. I filed complaint at nhtsa.gov and I encourage anyone with this similar problem to do so. It is clear that a recall should be made :mad:
  • cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    The A/C is supplied by some outside supplier, not Mazda.. some of us need to understand that.

It's a problem however and the A/C locking up will need to be recalled... if we make enough complaints about how it/the compressor itself locks up the serpentine belt and can cause a safety issue we can force a recall.

The part has been updated. It also should be noted that just because it is a widespread PROBLEM that it does NOT constitute a recall. It MUST be a Safety or emissions issue for it to be a recall.
    "...It MUST be a Safety or emission issue..."

Or a "marketing" (public awareness) NIGHTMARE..!!
  • sdbobo619sdbobo619 Member Posts: 13
    You are ABSOLUTELY correct, I made a safety complaint with NHTSA as I have been urging others to as well, my complaint was severe due to the car shutting off when the compressor locked as I was traveling 45 mph. A NHTSA safety investigator contacted a couple of weeks ago. asking for documentation of repair bills. I noticed she had others in the :cc line so hopefully they responded to her.
  • doug1956doug1956 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2007CX-7 late 2006. In may I had Sutherlin Mazda, located in Buford, Georgia perform a oil change and a 36 000 mile service to inspect for any problems. They Inspected the Vehicle and found nothing wrong.
    At 40120 the AC just quite no warning or anything dramatic.
    Checked unit and found that the AC compressor had locked up!
    Just like that!
    Sutherlin Mazda replaced the AC compressor for free and cleaned the entire car for no charge at all.

I must be very fortunate to have such reliable, understanding and passionate service personnel.
    No I don't have any alternate reasons to write this.
    All I can say is that this car, for what I paid for it, was worth every dollar.
    And this is my 16th new car BUT first Mazda. I'll buy again!
  • tamtam2tamtam2 Member Posts: 1
    I have been driving a 2007 for two years now, I have always loved the car up until now. At 37,500 miles (yes, 1500 miles after the warranty ran out), my AC compressor locked up. The air started blowing warm then started seeing smoke from under the hood. I took my car to a mechanic who quoted me $2000.00 to fix it, but suggested I take it back to my dealership because any halfway decent company should fix the problem at no charge since I was only 1500 miles over. Well, Mazda is definitely not a halfway decent company b/c they basically told me, Oh Well since you aren't a "regular" customer of this dealership we aren't inclined to do anything for you. This dealership has done the only work besides oil changes that has ever been done to my car, but that apparantly doesn't count because it was "warranty" work. I called the 1-800 Mazda number and explained my situation, told him I know it is problem with the 2007 CX7's because there are different cases all over the internet. He put me on hold and called the Service Manager at said dealership. He then tells me he agrees with the Service Manager and there is nothing he can do for me. NEEDLESS TO SAY I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER MAZDA VEHICLE.!!. If this had happened way down the road I wouldn't dream of expecting them to do anything but 2 ears old and 37, 500 miles, they absolutely should have stepped up.
  • teacher29210teacher29210 Member Posts: 1
    I am sorry for your auto problems, but this happened to me on Friday. I was stranded and had to find somebody who could tow it to the shop. I get home today and find out a friend of mine who bought the 2008 model after me had this same problem also. His was under warranty. I am not sure if mine is or not. I bought a 2008 CX7 in August of 2007
  • bcp1bcp1 Member Posts: 21
    Took my 07 CX-7 FWDGT in last week for 12,000 miles inspection. I had them double check the A/C system and nothing could be found wrong. It does cool very well and it has been very hot this summer.
    What disturbs me the most is the fact that my 36 month warrenty runs out on Oct 5, 2009 and I dont have 13,000 miles yet.
    My local dealer is very much aware of the problem, but didnot elaborate about how many failures they have had locally. He did mention one CX-7 owner has an 07 with over 90,000 miles and has not had one problem with the A/C or anything else.

I am still having some problem with the transmission shifting into 6th gear. It appears to stick in 5th gear, but if you let up slightly on the gas pedal, it will go right into 6th gear. They were suppose to check that but I think they forgot, because there is no documentation of it being done for this trip.
  • diva7diva7 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2008 used Mazda CX-7 with 16 thousand miles on it in July of 2008. It is now September 11,2009 and I would like to spread the word to everyone that I can about the faulty compressors installed in the Mazda CX-7 vehicles. I was on my way to a Labor Day fish fry(3 hours away from where I live) and the air conditioner quit working. We then began to smell burnt rubber , smoke began to emerge from the hood of the vehicle, and the power steering became non existent. After cutting the vehicle off, it would not start back up. The closest Mazda dealership was Expo Mazda in Kingwood TX. They picked up the vehicle Tuesday 9-8-2009, informed me of the internal failure,informed me that my vehicle was no longer under warranty, informed me that they had all parts to fix my vehicle,and that it would be ready Wednesday evening(9-9-2009) In the meantime, I looked online to find over 50 cases of the exact same problem and felt that Mazda should recall this model and be responsible for half of the repair bill.Now it is Friday 9-11-2009 and no one has called me about the status of my vehicle, so I called them. They advised me that my vehicle was finished up 9-10-09 and test driven( they stated that they were just about to call me) They took 10% off leaving me a balance of roughly $961.00 plus $256.00 in rental car fees. I tried to explain that this is very unfair to consumers, and unfortunate for Mazda because I will never purchase another Mazda. I will also advise my friends and family of my experience in hopes that I can keep this situation from happening to anyone that I know. BEWARE OF THE MAZDA CX-7 !!!!!!
  • pandamimibearpandamimibear Member Posts: 2
    I can't believe my eyes. I didn't realize so many of you are having exactly same problem as me. I owe 2007 CX-7 and I bought this car in Dec., 2008. The car currently has 45K. My A/C compressor broke yesterday on the highway and broke the main belt which locked steering wheel while I was driving. I am a female drive and I panicked. If this is happening to so many of us, something must be seriously wrong. I mean, many of us are experiencing this in such an early stage of car's life. My car is in a shop right now and tomorrow, the repair will start. I am planning to file a report and call Mazda corporate in Irvine, CA and the dealer I purchased the car from. They need to pay my bill!!!!!
    You need to file a report with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) as well. This will help us Mazda owners everywhere as if they received enough complaints we will be reimbursed for our expense. Mazda Irvine likely will not help you. NHTSA is already investigating this matter so the more people who file the quicker they will act.
  • des5des5 Member Posts: 88
    Can anyone tell us what indentifying marks to look for on the compressor to tell if a vehicle has the new or old design unit?
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    Good suggestion, as the AC problem has serious safety implications.

The 2010 CX7 has recently become a vehicle replacement option for me, and after reading this thread, and another on a CX7 forum (Texas lady was stranded at 2 am due to same problem; timing belt also broke), I'm forced to re-assess the car.
    A larger redesigned compressor went into production sometime in 2008, so '09 and '10 models should not be susceptible to this failure.
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    Good to know, thanks.
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    So glad I ponied up a few extra $ to buy the Extended Warranty for 10 Years/120K miles. Drop in the bucket compared to what you guys are seeing.

Go for Mazdas (which you can get before your 36K/3 Year expires) or from AAA at very reasonable rates. I hate hidden surprises.... :lemon:
    This seems to be the only endemic component failure so far on this model. One could make the argument that setting aside $1000 in anticipation is more economically efficient than buying a full extended warranty.
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    I think I paid $1500 for my Mazda (aka Ford) Platinum coverage for my 09 CX-7 with no deductible. 10 Years/120K miles (she'll hit the 10 years first)

With a Turbo, AWD transmission and fully loaded electronics I easily expect to have more than $1500 in repairs before the 10 years/120K miles. Probably before 6. Even if my wife drives it like little Miss Daisy (which she calls her car) I just know something will happen. Essentially I bet $1500 on it.

I don't care how well a car is made these days... Sh*t happens and so does bad luck. That's why I did the same for my 08 CX-9. Other than car payments, I have no "out of warranty" failures to worry about for quite some time... :P
    You could have avoided the $1500 cost via wiring the turbo wastegate fully open and probably gained another $1500 in FE improvement. Also mill the engine head to get a decent CR, 12:1, and DEFINITELY get an FE return of $1500 and still have substantial GO.......
  • jbd1270jbd1270 Member Posts: 2
    Well, I hope it keeps working for you! About a year after purchase (new) My '07 CX-7 A/C went out(The compressor) @ 49,000mi and of course it was out of warranty. It would be a little easier too swallow if it was just one part but no it usually ends in most of the system being replaced! The Mazda tech told us that the compressor clutc assembly failed/imploaded and was in fact glowing red/burning inside the housing. The clutch fragments entered the A/C's closed system and basically ruined the other parts. After going round and round with Mazda Corp. they covered some (Compessor and a $500 gift card) without mention of fault (Go figure!). I really had to stay on them to do anything. They were very reluctant, even then it cost me @$700! I payed my half and had it repaired at Tim Marburger Mazda. My wife does a lot of travel to/from work and what do you know, at 87,000 the same thing happened again!!!!! Now, I'm truely pissed! Not sure even if I have options at this point. I'm ready to take the hit on a trade in value of my car. I feel this may be a yearly occurence and I can not afford it! In the two years we've had the car/suv I have had now 2 A/C complete failures, 1 bad Idler pulley, just waiting for the next thing before I can get rid of it. You know I trade a '01 Chevy Tahoe w/ 225,000 and never had any kind of problems like this just minor up keep that I expected! We will never buy another Mazda again.
  • nateklaibernateklaiber Member Posts: 1
    Our 2008 Mazda CX-7 (Sport, AWD) had a compressor failure at just a hair over 30,000 miles. This occurred on our way back from vacation, through the hills of West Virginia. We started smelling burnt rubber. Shortly after that, I heard a loud bang - I lost power steering and all of my check engine lights came on. This was at 1AM. I was able to coast to an exit and find a hotel (had my wife, toddler, and infant). When I opened up the hood, the belts were shredded and coolant had sprayed everywhere.

I had to get it towed 50 miles to the nearest Mazda dealership. The work is covered under warranty. We had to call family to drive 8 hours round trip to pick our family up.

Then the process began. It took over 1 week for them to get us a rental car. Then, parts were on backorder. It is just shy of a month later, and our car is finally fixed. Mazda customer service has been horrendous. I am now left paying out of my pocket to drive and pick up the car - taking 8 hours out of my day, for a faulty compressor on their end.

I requested they had it trucked back. They refused. Funny, if I wanted to BUY a car, they would have it trucked in a heartbeat - but now it's an error on their end, and all of a sudden it can't happen.

It's sad. I own that car, and a Mazdaspeed3, and I am considering selling them both if this is the kind of company I have to deal with. Simply unacceptable.
  • nsbio1nsbio1 Member Posts: 75
    I personally know two people who were recently shopping for a small suv and took a hard look at CX-7, but ended up elsewhere because they were turned off by CX-7's bad reliability.
    MAKE SURE YOU REPORT TO NHTSA, a major safety hazard that Mazda is ignoring.

thanks
  • fliifastfliifast Member Posts: 6
    DEFECT OR RECALL PETITION (DP OR RP)
    NHTSA may be petitioned to investigate an alleged safety defect or whether a manufacturer has successfully carried out the requirements of a recall. If the petition is granted, NHTSA opens an appropriate
    investigation. If the petition is denied, the reasons for denial are published in the Federal Register.

Heres where you file a complaint:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Tom
    1. Summary:
    2008 MAZDA CX7, A/C COMPRESSOR LOCKED UP,BOUGHT IT BRAND NEW FROM DEALER AND ONLY AT 14,500 MILES IT LOCKS UP ON ME. *TR

2. Summary:
    MY CAR IS A 2008 MAZDA CX-7 AND THIS SUMMER I BEGAN TO USE THE AC WHICH NEVER SEEMS TO COOL OFF MY CAR. IT BLOW COLD AIR BUT NOT VERY COLD AND I HAVE TO KEEP IT AT LEVEL 4 AND PUSH THE OTHER BUTTON THAT MAKES IT BLOW HARDER. WHICH I THINK IS THE CIRCULATION BUTTON. I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO KEEP IT ON FULL BLAST AND WITH THE AC BUTTON AND THE ONE NEXT TO IT DEPRESSED ALL THE TIME TO COOL MY CAR OFF. I DON'T THINK IT IS RUNNING CORRECTLY. *TR

3. Summary:
    AIR CONDITIONING BLOWS HOT AIR A FEW TIMES A DAY. IT NEVER FULLY COOLS CAR. AT SOME TIMES IT STARTS BLOWING SO HOT THAT IT IS MORE COMFORTABLE TO TURN THE A/C OFF EVEN WHEN IT IS 105 DEGREES OUTSIDE! I HAVE TAKEN THE CAR INTO MAZDA OF ST. GEORGE, UTAH TWICE AND THEY PUT A THERMOMETER IN THE VENT, TELL ME IT'S COLD ENOUGH AND SEND ME ON MY WAY. THEY SAY THEY DON'T KNOW WHY IT BLOWS HOT AIR BUT THAT THE A/C SYSTEM IS WORKING NORMALLY. I HAVE LIVED IN THIS VERY HOT CLIMATE FOR A VERY LONG TIME AND HAVE OWNED MANY DIFFERENT CARS. ALL OF THEM WERE ABLE TO COOL DOWN THE CAR TO A COMFORTABLE TEMPERATURE EVEN IN OUR HOT AREA. WHEN THE TEMPERATURE GETS ABOVE 100 TO 105 DEGREES THE CAR IS TOO UNCOMFORTABLE TO DRIVE. IN FACT, MY WIFE WILL CHOOSE TO DRIVE MY TRUCK (AS OPPOSED TO HER ¿08 MAZDA) AS THE AIR CONDITIONER IN THE TRUCK ACTUALLY BLOWS COLD AIR. *TR

4. Summary:
    AC COMPRESSOR SHAFT FAILURE AND FELL OFF. CAR WAS 18 MONTHS OLD. *TR

5. Summary:
    ON 6/17/09, MY 2008 MAZDA CX-7 ERUPTED IN SMOKE WHILE I WAS DRIVING WITH MY 1 & 3 YEAR OLD. I WAS TERRIFIED IT WOULD CATCH ON FIRE & LUCKILY WAS ABLE TO GET MY BOYS AND I OUT SAFELY OFF THE FREEWAY. HERZOG MEIER MAZDA IN BEAVERTON, OR CONFIRMED IT WAS THE AC COMPRESSOR THAT CAUSED THE VEHICLE TO BREAK DOWN. THE ESTIMATE TO FIX WAS $2400. I DECIDED TO GO ONLINE & DO RESEARCH. I WAS OUTRAGED BY WHAT I DISCOVERED. THERE ARE ENDLESS AMOUNTS OF CX7 OWNERS WHO ALSO HAD ISSUES WITH THE A/C COMPRESSOR MOST WITH LESS MILEAGE THAN MY VEHICLE. I CALLED MAZDA TO FILE A COMPLAINT TODAY. MAZDA SHOULD ACKNOWLEDGE THIS ERROR & DO A RECALL. *TR

6. Summary:
    SUDDEN FAILURE OF AC CLUTCH. LOCKS UP AND BURNS. AFFECTS STEERING AND WILL DAMAGE ENGINE. *TR

We need more reports filed to get a recall on the AC system! Please file with:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Here are all complaints filed so far.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/results.cfm

Tom
    What would be the cost of simply replacing the A/C compressor at each 20-25,000 mile period..??
  • screwedbymazdascrewedbymazda Member Posts: 7
    My wife and I purchased an '07 CX 7 new and now it has 36,000 plus a few miles. We noticed the ac had warmed up and we took it in while it was still under warranty. They checked it and said it was blowing fine. I don't remember the milage, but I will get that. Now it isn't cooling and i have a loud noise with the burning rybber smell! Our nightmare has just begun. This is saturday nite on the 17 of Oct '09. Monday morning our fight begins. Wish us luck, and I'm going on the national page too.
    keep us informed. Some dealers just do the work and some won't if it's out of miles or time. You might get lucky! If not see the site above and file, list the problem with the state, file with the local BBB! They'll be calling you for help. Tom
    I took my '07 CX 7 to the dealership today to see what was up with the a/c / compressor. I let them know i had been in before at 29,123 miles with the ac blowing hot. The records showed they looked at it and the tech said it was fine and blowing 40 degrees. The exact milage is 36,966 now. They said they will probably have it fixed under warranty since it is not 1,000 miles over the warranty. They had to contact Mazda, and it would be Mazda's call. I asked when they would know and the service advisor said maybe a day or to, but not a week. Get this... as i was expaining the signs and symptoms, a mechanic that works there not knowing what kind of car it was, said "a CX 7?". later another mechanic said it was like the other three they had done. this is in Bryan, TX.
    I've been waiting for three days to hear if the dealership is going to cover the repairs. I called this morning and the service manager said he had two other iteams to address with the Mazda area sevice rep or region what ever the case may be. I still hadn't heard from him at 3 pm today so i went there. The service manager said he should hear back today. My car is still sitting in the same place, a couple lots from the maintanence building, still unlocked just like I left it. He said they looked at it, and then I said it was still in the same spot. He let me know they couldn't tie up a bay for three days, and I was like NO S@#T. I don't even think they have looked at the A/C yet.
    Just got the word that Mazda is going to warranty the A/C problem. They stepped up to the plate for now. The dealership seemed like they where dragging their feet, but in the end I hope it works out. I will post the things they fix, and still get with the national webpage people from the earlier post about the problem.
  • wrenfoxwrenfox Member Posts: 5
    September 30 2009, Driving back from New Hampshire to Massachusetts, the inside of my Mazda CX-7 without any warning lights showing, started to fill with smoke and the power steering went. I was in the far left lane of route 128 during rush hour and had to make my way over to the breakdown lane. I opened the hood and the coolant reservoir blew. Coolant was everywhere. If my wife or son were driving this vehicle they probably could not have been able to handle the loss of the power steering. This vehicle is less than 2 years old and has 47k miles on it.
    Apparently there is a known defect with the AC compressor which if it breaks down it also knocks out the power steering. The Mazda dealership covered the parts($1000) but was adamant that I would have to pick up the labor of approx. $500. After going back and forth with Mazda corporate help line, I was able to get them to cover the labor. I appreciate the fact that the dealership did help me out and I thank them for that but I firmly believe they knew of this defect when I was sold the car. I was reassured the replacement AC compressor was not the same factory compressor installed in this vehicle which is an admission to the problem because why would a new improved part be available if there was no need?. Also a week later an o2 sensor went which the dealership covered. In addition to my safety concerns, how can I sell a vehicle that smells of coolant and now has a documented problem. I asked for an extended warranty for the vehicle but Mazda refused. This is too bad because it really is not a bad vehicle.
  • blin279blin279 Member Posts: 21
    "I personally know two people who were recently shopping for a small suv and took a hard look at CX-7, but ended up elsewhere because they were turned off by CX-7's bad reliability." by nsbio1
    There are two more customers Mazda has lost due to AC problem: my co-worker and I. We were a potential buyers of 2010 CX-7 but decided not to gamble and quit. :sick:
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    What was the dealer's reasoning for not wanting to cover the labour on your CX-7? It is still under full warranty unless you have a lot of miles on it. You can pick up an extended warranty from any dealer and that is probably not a bad idea. Will cost you some money but give you peace of mind. The coolant smell should go away in a few days.
    Thanks for your input.Car has 47k on it . AC not in warranty. Why should Someone pay for future problems caused by past events. Mazda should extended warranty to 100K for peace of mind and value for next owner. The Cx-7 has a bad name now . Who would take it in trade at a decent value ? Mazda? Why would I want another Mazda? Car was fixed early October and still smells of coolant.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    In Canada the three year warranty is for 80,000km or 50,000 miles. I wonder why the U.S. warranty is for only 36,000 miles. Strange. I agree your vehicle has been a lot of trouble and I wouldn't want another one either.

Why don't you take your Mazda to a detailing shop and see if they can get the anti freeze smell out.
  • wdearmondwdearmond Member Posts: 1
    I have a Mazda CX-7 2007 with 46,000 miles. After my ac went out, making loud noises and smoking, I went online and read all the problem everyone is having. I was about to explode when I finished. I went to my local Mazda dealership the next day, armed with all the printouts of complaints and darred them to not fix it at Mazda's costs. They were very nice and said they would contact Mazda for me and let me know. Within several hours they called and said the ac/compressor had locked up and that Mazda would be taking care of it. Still had to check the engine but so far so good. I was actually shocked that they didnt make me attempt to sue them first. I think I definately lucked up. But I also told them to keep the PS that I didnt want it back and drove off with a new car (as a loaner). Maybe they just want to sell me the new car, definately not a Mazda!!!!
    52K and just had the compressor sieze up again, Im going to send another complaint to NHTSA. Thats 2 compressors and one belt tensioner in the last 6 months, what a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'll be the first to tell you that you should've bought one anyhow, because this problem has been fixed, back in 2008. So 2007/partial 2008 models are effected by this problem. Of course you could've noticed this but you didn't.
    So you feel even though sales people and Mazda dealerships were aware of this problem, it was ok for them to continue to sell such a dangerous vehicle? As for knowing about the problem, I am probably much older than you and not a frequent internet user. I found out about this forum after my AC locked up and was looking for answers.
  • blin279blin279 Member Posts: 21
    ...because this problem has been fixed back in 2008... by cx7lover

Would you please provide the details? I'd like to know how this problem was fixed?
    :confuse:
    Some how I was added to this thread thru e-mail. Please keep me out of this feud. Per the dealer , the AC compressor that was replaced in my CX-7 was an updated version , so the problem hopefully will not occur again.
    If you click the Change Watching link below, you can turn off the email alerts.
    The compressor was updated with a new design thus fixing the problem.
  • coachcrittycoachcritty Member Posts: 1
    This is a VERY big concern for me. I just took my 2007 CX-7 to the dealership today to have the A/C compressor replaced. My car is, of course, just out of warrantee at 39,300K. Mazda did agree to split the cost of the repair with me (I'm paying the labor). I've called multiple times today to express this concern and to question why this issue has not been addressed since it would appear that multiple consumers are or have experienced the same problem. I got a standard, straight out the book, response--Nothing remotely helpful or to put me at ease.

I've only had my car for one year. The list of problems goes as follows...Low tire pressure light continuously on, Complete computer system replacement (left me on the side of the road with about 15K on it), check engine light continuously on, A/C compressor frozen.

I'm so disappointed in the reliability of this car. I LOVE the look, the handling, the interior features, and the way it rides, but all of these things get cancelled out by the frequent trips to the dealership.

Prior to the CX-7 I had a Mazda 3 (2004) which I adored! I put 133K on that little car and now I'm thinking I should have just kept it!!! It never had any problems.

My only consulation in this matter is that I bought the car used with 6400 miles on it. Thank GOD I didn't pay the full sticker price or I'd be absolutely livid. Right now I'm only immensely frustrated because it's Christmas time, I'm unemployed, and the darn thing needs new tires ASAP (another $700 I'll be putting into it).

I mean geesh, I thought I was upgrading by switching to the CX-7. Shows you what I know!
    I had to go back and forth with Mazda corporate and they paid for the labor. I was also assured that a new updated compressor was used to replace the defective one. I had to replace my tires early. The dealer admitted they did not have good luck with the stock tires which were originally put on the car. I am currently trying to get the dealer to cover the car for 100,000 miles due to my car breaking down and the coolant reservoir exploding. We'll see what happens. good luck.