Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Azera 2007

Comments

• Options
    jkolehjkoleh Member Posts: 38
    Just noticed that the passenger side wiper arm can't be lifted up as it is blocked by the back lip of the hood. Anyone else notice this problem or did mine just fall off the truck? 2007 Ltd Ultimate-2500 miles
  • Options
    davemudavemu Member Posts: 9
    Yes...in my first look-over last month of my new 2007, I noticed the wiper arm hits hood so either "force" it up and scratch paint or change blade barely off the window.
  • Options
    allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    No...yours didn't fall off the truck. Actually...it's a design flaw inherent in all the Azeras to date. I have an '06 with the same problem. What I do is lift the arm slight at an angle matching the windshield and then lift it up away from the windshield and it clears the lip of the hood fine. Hyundai's answer is to turn your car on, turn your wipers on and then turn the engine off in mid-swing and change your blades then.
  • Options
    jkolehjkoleh Member Posts: 38
    Well, sure enough, took the Azera to the dealer for its first oil change, and asked about getting the limp home mode and the easy exit programmed.. The service advisor said there were no such features, but I quoted him the TSB number from this BB for the limp home and encouraged him to look into it. He grudgingly agreed to do so---some 20 minutes later, he came into the service lounge, and said 'well, I learned something today"--this after two years of selling Azeras.

He was not able to find anything about the easy exit feature, and I do not find anything in the owner's manual about that. Anyone aware of any specific reference to that which I can use to 'educate' at my next service appt? Thanks!!
  • Options
    dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    re. 669: "The service advisor said there were no such features",

First of all, congratulations on your recent Azera acquisition.

And welcome to Hyundai's typical inept service department / personnel This is another example of Hyundai's continued efforts to train, motivate and upgrade their US dealer network.

I believe it's called CPI in Japan.
  • Options
    Hi...week #6 on my new 07 Azera, thanks to all for the various insights. Son #1 bought new 08 Sonata SE, a baby Azera, we're both pleased. Just leased 08 Malibu for sons #2,3 to share and while a cool car it "is a chevy" so missing some spit and polish. Cool Malibu for young people, however, but ONLY because a 36 mile lease so will ALWAYS be in warranty.

On to my questions:
    (1) When you unlock the car with the remote, exterior lights don't stay on and (2) when you turn car off/lock car with remote the ext. lights don't stay on.

Hard to believe on a luxary car there would not be an option to "keep lights" on.

And of course I wish there were DRL...so I keep lights on all day, nice GM feature I miss for safety.

If you have NOT gone to "thinkaboutit.com" the Hyundai site, go do it. If you are older, get your kids/grandkids/young person to watch with you. Play the games, to the interactive egg drop, etc. It really is "something to think about."
  • Options
    I know when I unlock my Azera with the remote, the interior light comes on, but when I lock it with the remote, the interior light dims out as soon as I lock it.

One thing you'll probably notice...by leaving your headlights on all the time, you'll be replacing your bulbs much more frequently. DRL set-ups only burn the bulbs with a fraction of the power they burn when turned on fully. I bring this up because I had an '02 Sonata and I left the lights on all the time and I was replacing bulbs maybe 2 times a year. If you want to leave your lights on all the time, you may want to consider an HID upgrade as HID's have a longer life than regular bulbs.
  • Options
    cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    If you want to leave your lights on all the time, you may want to consider an HID upgrade as HID's have a longer life than regular bulbs.
    At less than $25 for a pair of H4 replacement bulbs, and a typical HID conversion at $250 ( plus labor ), it doesn't seem as if cost is an argument for converting to HIDs.
    More light, definitely, and the panache of blue bulbs, but not to save money.
  • Options
    Yeah, sure...if you only had to replace the regular H4's once or twice...period. Trust me, if you burn you headlights ALL the time in lieu of DRL's...you'll be replacing bulbs at least twice a year.
  • Options
    alymacalymac Member Posts: 31
    Hello to all you Azera owners.......I own a 2006 Azera.
    1st question...I have installed Sirius radio using the microdot antenna.Works like a
    charm but would like to use the antenna on the 2007.The dealer initially said they
    had no price but if I order it Im committed?????????Just yesterday they had
    a price after 2 months of waiting..$250 to 300. bucks.Help Anybody purchased the one from Seoulfulracing....any good?.Any other sources that will work with the
    stock radio.
    2nd question... the grill in the Genesis looks much better than the Azera grill..the front of the Genesis looks almost like an Azera..anybody think the grill might
    fit the Azera?? The grill is available from Koreanautoimports
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    My experience has been different.

'05 Sonata, purchased new in April '05. Haven't had a bulb burn out yet and my lights are always set to the on position.

18,700 miles, so that obviously has many trips which strains the electric system.
  • Options
    Actually...you don't seem to have THAT many miles on it in that time frame. So, to be honest...you're lights aren't on that often. When I had my '02 Sonata, I put 105K miles on it in 4 years, so you figure that's just over 26K miles a year. You've only got 18,700 in two!!! LOL
  • Options
    aiveraiver Member Posts: 4
    Took my dealer 1 month to find out about it --when I took it to the dealer [ after making appt. ] took my code numbers -- put it the garage the manager came out & said there was a 45 $ charge for it --- I said forget it ! it wasn't the money -just the way they handled it.It"s on page 1-6 in my owners manual.Good luck
  • Options
    carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Call Hyundai customer service. Dealer is supposed to set it as part of delivery for free. Same for auto door lock. My dealer, Upstate Hyundai, Anderson SC, did if for free twice as I changed both my limp home code and auto door locks.
  • Options
    aiveraiver Member Posts: 4
    Youv'e got a decent dealer CB,I called customer service & they told me the dealers are independents & they call the shots on things like this.Some will charge --others won't. Limp home is there if you want it -not neccessarily included, the free tow feature is there for us if disabled.Go figure??
  • Options
    Don't know the truth behind them being able to charge for it. When I first bought my Azera (06), I had it up at the dealer to get the clock replaced. I had read about the limp home mode and the locks and the dealer said they would charge me $49 to take care of it. I came back for an oil change and I pulled in next to a sage green Azera. A guy walks out and asks me how I like mine. We chat and he lets on that he's the regional Hyundai Corp. rep. I told him everything I liked about the car, we chatted some more and I brought up the door locks and limp home mode and complained that it should be something that the dealer sets as part of the purchase...not done as a service call you pay for. He looked at me kinda funny and said, "There should be no charge at all for setting the door locks and limp home mode at all." He asked why I was there and I said an oil change and he walked in with me and proceeded to tell them to go ahead and take care of my settings while they did the oil change.

I've also heard of folks that did pay to get it done, contacting Hyundai Corp USA and getting reimbursed for it.

Personally...it comes with the car, there is no way one should have to pay to get it set. I tell you one thing, I LOVE the Saturn Outlook we purchased a few months back...you can set all those things from the driver's seat...door locks, exit/entry seat memory, back up assist (power mirrors folding down)...a host of features YOU yourself can set. That's how it should be!!!
  • Options
    iriegirliriegirl Member Posts: 4
    Anyone experiencing the not-so-dimmed rear view mirror when headlights are shining in your eyes?

I know it's supposed to auto-dim, but I'm still being blinded. It's so frustrating sometimes that I'm tempted to get an old-school flip mirror...
  • Options
    rgb42rgb42 Member Posts: 40
    Have had my '08 Azera Limited for a bit over a month now, and what I noticed on mine was how well the auto-dimming mirror works, compared to the one that was in my '04 Maxima ... now THAT one actually did blind you!
  • Options
    Are you making sure that the auto-dim feature is activated??? There is a button you have to press on the mirror to actually activate the auto-dim feature. I know, crazy, huh? I guess there are those that would wish to defeat that feature at night for the sole purpose of being blinded from behind!!! Seriously...press the on/off button and the feature will be activated, it took a minute for me to get used to it at first as it turns a green-ish hue when headlights hit the sensor.
  • Options
    The light on my mirror is indeed green (and it has been all along). Do you notice a difference? I don't see it.
  • Options
    Glad to know it's working for you. Did you have to "do" anything to the mirror itself or was it already activated? (Is the light green?).

Not sure if it's different on my 2007.
  • Options
    Actually, yes...I do notice a difference, like I said...the headlights take on a green-ish hue and they are not as glaring.

However, that was all up until I tinted my windows...now I don't use the auto dimming feature since the window tint does a great job on it's own.
  • Options
    medic481medic481 Member Posts: 32
    Hi- I have an '07 limited with the electric fold-in mirrors w/ built in turn signal. The owner's manual mentions a feature of the outside mirrors that will cause them to tilt down when the car is put in reverse. I tried this, adjusting the inboard mirror adjustment switch as indicated in the manual, to no avail. Are these mirrors actually supposed to do this?
  • Options
    dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    "Are these mirrors actually supposed to do this?"

They do in other Hyundai markets, but not in US.
  • Options
    brianbluemaxbrianbluemax Member Posts: 4
    I purchased 2007 Azera in November of last year after having admired them for over a year. I first saw one at the Seattle auto show in 2006 and it impressed me with the level of equipment for the price. Then at last year's show thay had an all out push with a large sales force and a fleet of test drive vehicles (the only manufacturer to do so) so I took the opportunity to test drive the Azera and it sold me. However I procrastinated for most of the year and finally went to a dealership to deal. This was a dedicated Hyundai dealership but it did not have a single Azera on the lot but said they could get one within a day. I asked why I never saw them on the road to which the salesman didn't have a real answer. Up until recently I don't think I saw another one other than my own. Haivng hammered out a deal I became the owner of a Limited with Ultimate package, which was duly available for me the next day. The salesman went through a litany of telling me all of the features, etc and even had me sign a form confirming that he had done so. I love the vehicle, it is silver with grey interior, per my specification. It now has some 4.5K miles ( I am retired so don't do that much driving). I have one gripe and that is the quality of the ride. It seems to transmit every ripple in the road and positively crashes over lrge bumps and potholes. I took it a local Hyundai dealer (dedicated) to have the first service performed and mentioned my dissatisfaction with the ride to the service manager who attributed to the "low profile tires having firmer side walls"
    Today I found this forum and I see from the threads some comments about ride but on the whole everyone seems happy with theirs, so I conclude that I do have a problem, which I have thought all along, Any suggestions??
    With regard to some other threads:-
    Auto-locking - from day one the doors have locked when the transmission is moved out of park and unlocked when the transmisison is placed in park.
    Easy exit - The tilt wheel rises on removal of the ignition key and lowers when the key is inserted.
    Rear Window Blind - I have seen no mention of that but it is there and it does lower when the transmission is placed in Reverse.
    With regard to gas mileage, I have checked the accuracy of the computed readout and it seems to be accurate. I zero the readout each time I fill and get an indication of how I am doing for each tank full. I have seen a reading as high as 31 in highway using cruise control at 65mph. Around town I typically see around 18mpg.
  • Options
    ...enjoy the ride. Fit and finish are unmatched in my dec. 07 purchase of pearl white/black interior 07 limited. I think you have something to pursue with the ride, I can't believe how quiet over RR tracks, corners, etc. Have left behind american made cars (years of impalas, fords) due to cutting corners on creature comforts...there are a few things that might be in the new Genesis (DRL, lights staying on after turning off car, etc. ) but for the money it is amazing. Son #1 married and bought new Sonata also a great car but NOT an Azera. I'm in the carpool and the Azera wins over a Honda accord and toyota camry hands down. Rear windowshade is great...don't forget you can NOT use it if you want. You must have an Ultimate model to have the tilt wheel I could be happier with gas mileage, 27 on straight highway (but doing 80 with cruise) and around town mix is 19. 25 mile commute to work is rural speeds with some stop/go around town and the overall is 22. Bought it for the bumper to bumper warranty, the "doesn't look like other cars," the cavernous interior, and overall quality. 16K miles over 8 months and looks/rides brand new. Only issue I've had was something in right suspension covered by warranty, great Superior Hyundai dealer in Cincinnati Ohio, a bit out of my way but worth the drive. Yes, I'll keep going back for the scheduled maintenance as I will drive this many many miles, and pass down to other sons possibly.
  • Options
    tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    "You must have an Ultimate model to have the tilt wheel."

Just to clarify for newbies, I believe Davemu means the power-assisted tilt and telescope wheel with two-position memory. Unless I'm mistaken, every Azera has a tilt wheel.
  • Options
    garym1jgarym1j Member Posts: 46
    Hi Brian

As owner of an 07 Azera Limited, I make reference to your comment:

"I have one gripe and that is the quality of the ride. It seems to transmit every ripple in the road and positively crashes over lrge bumps and potholes."

I agree 100%. I have also read the threads concerning different kind of shocks, etc. I have determined that I have the correct shocks but that doesn't solve the problem. It is an excellent ride over roads without bumps or joints in the surface.
    Guess I will just live with it.

On an extended trip on the freeway I have seen as high as 32.5 MPG (Wife was driving in an extended construction zone at 55 mph). Overall average at 60 mph was 30.8 for the trip consisting of 1420 miles. (I would support a 55 mph speed limit to conserve fuel nationally and save lives, however I also am retired and in no hurry to get anyplace).

I saw one other Azera on my trip that included 5 days on the road between Tampa, Watertown NY, Watertown back to Tamps. Amazing. We waved at each other.
  • Options
    hate to sound crass about this, but....a nice extended test drive would have pointed that out to you. Before I purchased my '06 Azera, I took it on an hour long test drive. I drove it over most of the roads I traverse on my daily commute to and from work so that I could see exactly how it would feel under daily driving.

To say the lower profile tires create such a rough ride is poppycock, the Avalon has the same low profile (55 series) and the ride isn't as harsh.

It still amazes me to this day that folks will buy a car based on a limited test drive and then complain about something that they would have easily known about had they spent a little more time with the car.

As far as the ride quality concerning the Azera, from what I've found out from a few different Hyundai techs...the tuning of the suspension leans more towards sport (I'm referring to the damping level of the shocks). Of course, there's no sport feel when you take corners (considerable body lean). I've owned a couple sport coupes before and the ride is very similar to them, minus the flatter turning. I think the Azera could have actually benefitted from slightly softer shocks and better beefier anti-sway bars to control the body lean. Just my opinion though.

You do have options though...

#1) Simply live with it. #2) Replace the shocks with better ones, or #3) Trade the Azera in and get the new Genesis (you'll LOVE the ride...trust me)
  • Options
    snaglepussnaglepus Member Posts: 160
    :)

"hate to sound crass about this, but....a nice extended test drive would have pointed that out to you. Before I purchased my '06 Azera, I took it on an hour long test drive. I drove it over most of the roads I traverse on my daily commute to and from work so that I could see exactly how it would feel under daily driving."

Most dealers won't allow you to take such a long "extended test drive" because
    the house does not want a lot of miles on a new car that they might
    wind up having to try and sell to someone else if you do not buy.

"To say the lower profile tires create such a rough ride is poppycock, the Avalon has the same low profile (55 series) and the ride isn't as harsh."

Perhaps so, but I will wager that the Avalon does not suffer from the porpusing that our Azeras do.

"It still amazes me to this day that folks will buy a car based on a limited test drive and then complain about something that they would have easily known about had they spent a little more time with the car."

In the case of most of us, our problems with the lousy tune of our suspensions did
    not show up right away but took some several thousands of miles to appear.
    Impossible to detect even if your test drive took all day long.

"As far as the ride quality concerning the Azera, from what I've found out from a few different Hyundai techs...the tuning of the suspension leans more towards sport (I'm referring to the damping level of the shocks). Of course, there's no sport feel when you take corners (considerable body lean). I've owned a couple sport coupes before and the ride is very similar to them, minus the flatter turning. I think the Azera could have actually benefitted from slightly softer shocks and better beefier anti-sway bars to control the body lean. Just my opinion though."

These people do not know what they are talking about!
    No sport cars that I have owned (and I have had a few!) porpuse like my Azera.
    Several people have said that this type of suspension makes the car dangerious at speed,
    as in 'unsafe to drive' at what is now considered normal crusing speeds
    especially out here in the western states.

"You do have options though...

#1) Simply live with it. #2) Replace the shocks with better ones, or #3) Trade the Azera in and get the new Genesis (you'll LOVE the ride...trust me)"

What options?
    #1) Simply live with it
    ? That's no good. That is the only thing that bothers
    me and I do not think that I should have to "Simply live with it."

#2) "Replace the shocks with better ones?" Where when and how? There aren't any!
    I have either written or called every single aftermarket manufacturer you can name,
    and no one makes such a product for our cars. Of the few who answered, the general
    theme is "we have no plans to produce replacement shocks for the Azera."
    There is one . . Monroe said they will have a product by the end of this year,
    but from what I have learned, their aftermarket shocks are not worth
    the costs to have them installed, as they do not hold up either.

#3) "Trade the Azera in and get the new Genesis (you'll LOVE the ride...trust me)"
    I cannot afford the terrible hit to trade now, nor would I trade for the Genesis at this time. Why?
    Because I read that one reporter described the same porpusing in the
    ones he drove and that makes it handle the same as our Azeras. :lemon:

:D
  • Options
    "hate to sound crass about this, but....a nice extended test drive would have pointed that out to you. Before I purchased my '06 Azera, I took it on an hour long test drive. I drove it over most of the roads I traverse on my daily commute to and from work so that I could see exactly how it would feel under daily driving."

I have to agree with sanglepus on this. Sometimes it is hard enough to get much more than a drive around the block. The test drive I took at the Auto Show was around downtown Seattle which was all in traffic so was not able to form a real impression then as to suspension problems. Then when I went to collect the car I took a more extensive test drive, with a salesman of course, and that was over streets that were of the extreme ends of surface quality, very bad or very good, and again around town and in traffic so difficult to say there were suspension problems.

"It still amazes me to this day that folks will buy a car based on a limited test drive and then complain about something that they would have easily known about had they spent a little more time with the car."

Again I agree with snaglepus that it took some time for the problem to really manifest itself and if anything it appears to be getting worse.

"As far as the ride quality concerning the Azera, from what I've found out from a few different Hyundai techs...the tuning of the suspension leans more towards sport (I'm referring to the damping level of the shocks). Of course, there's no sport feel when you take corners (considerable body lean). I've owned a couple sport coupes before and the ride is very similar to them, minus the flatter turning. I think the Azera could have actually benefitted from slightly softer shocks and better beefier anti-sway bars to control the body lean. Just my opinion though."

I have owned sports cars in my day. Having originally come from England I am referring to traditional English sports cars, so I know all about "firm" suspension. My two vehicles prior to the Azera were Subarus, the first being an Outback Sport which I owned for four years and the reason I traded that for a Legacy because I was tired of the firm ride ( the old bones don't take kindly to it). I decided to trade the Legacy as I wanted for once in my life to own a car with something of a luxury quality about it and the Azera seemed to fill the bill without breaking the bank. I did a lot of research with CR, etc and the Azera always seemed to get a good write up, although one report did mention an occasional clonk in the rear suspension, but not in any way derogatory. I have never experienced the wallowing that is referred to and I have had it up to 80mph. Also I have not noticed any of the body lean that was mentioned, but then I don't drive like I am Mario Andretti on a race track, although I do not drive at a snails pace either. As a youth my father always complained that I had three speeds " Fast, Bloody Fast and Bang"

I do intend to take it to the dealer that I bought it from and see of they are prepared to do anything about it. As for trading to the Genesis, I don't have the luxury of that kind of financial freedom. This car is less than a year old with me, although it was only just recently that I noticed on the manufacturers plate by the drivers door that It was built early last year, I don't recall the exact month but it did get my attention at the time and struck me that it had obviously been on a dealer lot for some months.
    I have no other complaints about the car. Everything else works as advertised. One thing I have seen talked about which is new to me is the "limp home mode" What is that?
  • Options
    Snags...long time no hear!!!

As far as extended test drives...if you're serious about buying and the dealer knows that...you can do it. In most cases, they will try to have you test drive the car you might end up buying if the demo isn't available. Heck, when I test drove the Azera, I gave no indication as to when I was purchasing and they let me take it with no problem.

Well...the porpusing will not happen in a sports coupe because the suspension operates in harmony. I think that's the problem with the Azera's suspension...it's sport tuned without the proper components in place to make it act as such. As far as my comment about the Azera feeling like a sport coupe...not the wallowing part, the part about feeling every ripple and bump that you drive over when it comes to less than perfect pavement. The wallowing is due to the fact that beefier anti-sway components are lacking to control the lean of the car. The tire choice has a little to do with that because there is some give (or lean) when the car is in turns. I have noticed a slight improvement in that area when I put 20" rims with a much lower profile tire (35 series) so there is no lean in the tire in turns.

I've never heard of anyone complaining about the Azera being dangerous to drive at speed, that's ludicrous to say the least. You've driven your Azera "at speed" do you feel there is any danger?

If the problem is there, it's there from the beginning, something like the suspension problem folks complain about isn't going to just simply appear one day after a couple thousand miles. It also won't appear until you drive on a road or in conditions that make it show. Again, a test drive over your normal driving routes will show you everything you need to see.

As far as shocks, which I apologize...they are not shocks, but rather struts and yes...there are replacement options out there.KDMStuff.com Azera Coilover Suspension Set

As far as the Genesis...the reporter you mention tested a pre-production version. If you go over to the 2009 Hyundai Genesis forum, you will see EVERYONE that has driven one to date (myself included) have simply raved about the way the car handles. The ride is head and shoulders above that of the Azera. So to place your trust in one reporter (who was probably biased against Hyundai to begin with) was lacking on your part. Trust me...the Genesis handling is by far, much better than that of our Azeras. Do yourself a favor and go test drive one if you don't believe me my friend. Check this quick blurb someone just posted...2009 Hyundai Genesis posting #2405

As far as the options go...they still stand. Either live with it as it currently is, change it (I've provided an option for you) or get another car. Oh...one more options, press Hyundai to install new struts to see if the problem goes away. Probably won't because it's not the struts, it's the way the whole system is tuned and I hate to admit it...they didn't do a great job with it.
  • Options
    Simply put, if a dealer isn't going to give you what you need to feel confident in buying their product...walk away. You the consumer have the power, but by dancing to their music...you put the power in their hands.

I've had my Azera for over 2 years and I've put over 53K miles on it and I haven't had any issues. I've accepted the reason why the wallowing exists, but like you said...if you're not driving like Mario Andretti, it shouldn't be a problem. The car is a highway cruiser/family mover, not a sporty touring sedan. However, if a soft cushy all around ride is what you were looking for...maybe you would have been better served by looking at the Buick Lucerne.

One thing you have to remember when it comes to the build date you may see on the car....they are coming from Korea so there's no telling how long it was sitting over there before it was shipped (they had to wait until they had a full shipment), then the trip over, once here...they are distributed. So it really may not have been on the dealer's lot long at all to be honest.

Oh...I did forget to mention one other option you may have that could help a little bit...change the tires. Goodyear has that new comfort tread technology that's supposed to absorb road irregularities, maybe they could make a difference for you.

Limp home mode from my understanding is that if there is any problems with the drivetrain, it allows you to drive the car home or to a repair facility and it limits the transmission to only 2nd gear I believe and you can only drive like 35 mph. The owner's manual explains limp home mode a little bit, but there's a code you can set (which is a series of key turns in the ignition to activate it, but you have to go to the dealer to actually set the code).
  • Options
    I test drove four differnt Azeras before purchasing one. I drove each for 30 minutes to one hour and over various road surfaces and did not detect the ride problems that later showed up. Based upon my experiences and those of others, the shocks are adequate until they have over 3-4,000 miles on them and then the problems occur and get worse as the shocks age.
    The car rode much better after Hyundai initially replaced the 041 shocks with 040's, but after about 3-4,000 miles, the problems returned just as before.
  • Options
    That being the case, I would be going back to them and having them replace them until they decide to provide better components. With my Azera, I have not experienced any suspension problems with over 50K miles on it. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...this was a case of the first model year being the better one.
  • Options

How goes it Mike? ;)

Might I suggest that you may have an early production example built before Hyundai issued TSB 07-50-007 dated September, 2007 covering cars with build dates Dec.05, 2005 athrough Feb. 26, 2007.

What is your build date? :confuse:

If that be the case, Hyundai must have know that the earliest 2006 cars built prior to Dec. 05, 2005
    had decent quality shocks, and that somehow MANDO had started building the junk
    that the rest of us received with cars built Dec 05, 2005 and later. :lemon:

If that is so, you got a set of good shocks I think.

• Options
    You know what, after checking this morning...you are correct. Mine was built Nov. 7, 2005.

It amazes me that if they are having the complaints they are, they would go back with the earlier ones.
  • Options
    jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    Limp Home Mode is a part of the Immobilizer system. This is a security system tied to the electronic key. If someone tries to use an improper key, the car won't start, but you can put it in limp home mode (limited speed capability) by using a code to "prove to the computer" that you are entitled to drive the car.

My 07 Limited now has about 38,000 mi on it (11/06) purchase date. So, it is one of the ones under the TSB for shocks. However, I have had no issues with the original suspension, that I was not aware of when I bought the car. I did not expect a sport sedan and knew I wasn't buying a sport sedan. Mine handles all I want to do without any problems or unusual noises, including lots of time in the Colorado mountains.

I don't agree at all about it not handling at speed. Mine has been over 140mph and felt very solid. If I had wanted a car to run on a road course, I would not have gotten an Azera, but I wanted at least a near luxury sedan, with decent performance. And, my Azera has delivered. BTW, I am still averaging about 25mpg.
  • Options
    Hey Jay, thanks for the update on the Limp Home Mode, I wasn't 100% sure on it.

As far as the handling at speed...over 140, huh? I got mine up to 130, but on the factory wheels, it did feel a bit floaty so I backed off at that point. However, up to 100 mph, the car truly did feel solid which really makes me wonder what those folks that say otherwise are thinking or actually doing. When I have my 20" wheels with the lower profile tires on...140 was rock solid.

I think some folks are TRYING to push the Azera through twisty curvies as if driving a BMW and finding that it's not a BMW. The Azera suspension, is more than capable and quite compliant when driven under the normal conditions it was designed for. I just think Hyundai got the wrong mix of sport and comfort when they tuned it. If they were gonna do sport, they should have gone all the way sport and gave beefier anti-sway bars as well as beefier springs which would control body lean in corners. If they were gonna go with comfort, the should have just tuned it exactly as the Amanti suspension is tuned.
  • Options

I am completely satisfied with my Azeras ability to carve the curves, but it is the porpusing that I object to.

It has enough ability to go fast through the curves to be able to give me motion sickness.
    I just don't like feeling seasick from the porpusing on certain types of roads.

This is caused by there being a lack of proper control account of the original shocks
    plus the TSB replacement shocks wearing enough in less than 5K miles to
    now not be able to stop this 'up and down' front end motion.

As an example, should not the front of the car stop going up and down
    after the first complete cycle and not continue that monkey motion?
    It behaved properly when brand new, and again after the TSB shocks were installed, but after
    less than 5K miles on the TSB replacements, it returned to its porpusing ways again. :lemon:

• Options
    Oh...I feel you 100%, I too feel the Azera is capable of some spirited driving, just don't push it past it's boundaries. ;)

Well...that being the case, I would be taking the car back to get fresh struts every 5K miles until Hyundai provides better ones. I agree, the bouncing should stop after the first cycle.

That coilover suspension I provided the link for would take care of all of that! :shades:
  • Options
    From your keyboard to Hyundai's ears!
  • Options
    Good luck with that!
  • Options
    Hello again one and all. Thanks for all of this very valuable info and insight. Some comments:-
    1) Regarding the comments about time to get from Korea etc, I did check my build date and it is 1/28/07. I still have a copy of the PDI performed by the original dealer and it was performed in May of last year. I bought the car in November, so it sat on a dealer lot for six months.
    2) Thanks for the info on the TSB. As you can see from my build date, it falls into the window. So now I have ammunition to hit the dealer with.
    3) I forgot to pick up on the thread regarding the turn signal audible warning. I have hearing problems (heriditary I am afraid) and wear a hearing aid but this is the first car I have owned recently that I can easily hear the turn signal warning, even with the radio on.

A general update. For want of nothing better to do I decided to take a bit of a road trip yesterday, and drove over the Cascade Mountains from Edmonds to Wenatchee over Stevens Pass (4500 ft). I put it on cruise control at 60-65 depending on limit and it ran like a champ. I returned 27.8 mpg for 375 miles, including some local miles, and it was rock solid. On some of the downhill stretches I pushed the sweepers a little faster than I should have I think, around 75, but it stuck to the road like glue and I did not notice any body roll. With regard to floating I really didn't experience that. It gave me a whole new perspective on the car. The suspension problems were there over any rough sections but where the surface was good it rode great.As has been said this is a great road trip vehicle.
  • Options
    Brianbluemax...I guess it just shows that anything is possible.

Definitely check in to the TSB, however as one poster has pointed out...be prepared to have to deal with it again in about 5K miles. Keep pressing them on the issue until they come up with a more permanent solution.

Turn signal warning is something I don't have on my '06.

Sounds like you had a nice little trip. You have indeed found what most have found when it comes to the Azera...a more than competent highway cruiser. While it can handle sweeping curves with grace, it's the tighter switch backs and hairpin turns it may not shine in. Like I said before, the car can handle some spirited driving, but a BMW it is not. I'm impressed to see the FE your Azera returned on a trip through the mountains.

Good luck and happy motoring.
  • Options
    zredsoxzredsox Member Posts: 90
    That being the case, I would be going back to them and having them replace them until they decide to provide better components. With my Azera, I have not experienced any suspension problems with over 50K miles on it. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...this was a case of the first model year being the better one.

Hey Mike -

I know this is beating a dead horse, but just like many, many others my 2006 Azera Limited did not float or clunk when I bought it. Only after a few thousand miles did things go south. I had my dealer replace the struts (shocks) per the TSB and all was well in Azera land. However, after a few thousand miles (somewhere between 4 & 6 thousand) my Azera turned into a porpoise again. Only difference between my porpoise and the real ones is the real ones make a clicking noise; mine makes a clunking noise.

All dealers position are once they have replaced the struts per the TBS, that's it. You're not getting a third set. So continuing to go back to them is not a viable option for us.

So here's my real reason for jumping in on this subject; I'll buy the shocks off of your Azera, even with the 50K miles on them. What's your price? Hell, I'll even drive up to Maryland to get them.

Don
  • Options
    Well...from an earlier posting, I was asked to look at the build date on my car and found mine to be before the TSB date covered. So I'm assuming I have a different set on my car as opposed to what the others might have.

I'm sorry to hear you have the clunking noise still as well.

If the dealers won't take care of it...then I suggest a complaint en mass to Hyundai corp. I mean....maybe not enough folks are complaining that the first fix isn't a permanent fix. Heaven forbid it comes to a 3rd time, after that the lemon law would step in and force action on a legal level.

I would sell the shocks off mine if I could get that coilover set that Seoulful Racing sells. :blush: Eventually, I will be installing that set up on my car, but I've got some other things to address first.

I guess I need to meet someone with an Azera with these charateristics and ask if I can drive theres to see if there's a difference.
  • Options
    Here's another source for the coilover set. The ride height can be adjusted and I'm sure the springs are much, much better than stock. I really think that better springs would help control the porpoising. I find it hard to believe the shock itself is the cause for it, the spring would control the up and down.

Azera Coilovers
  • Options
    tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    for the rear only?

And pardon the dumb question, but is the coil spring on the shock body IN ADDITION to the larger-diameter coil spring, rather than instead of it?
  • Options
    No...all the way around.

Yes...it is on the shock/strut body. I think THAT is the deficient culprit behind the problematic suspension. I bet dollars to donuts that putting in new, stronger springs...the problem would be solved.