Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2007

Comments

• carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Good luck. My 640 shocks lasted about 300 miles before beginning to show the same patter as the other two sets. It is better than the 040's, but I expect in a thousand or so miles, it will be back to where it was before. :mad:
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    I agree with you. After about 1000 miles the ride is not so good. I have to slow down to 60 on the bad stretch of road I go on every day for about 3 miles. The car is fine 95% of the time but you do have to slow down on bouncy roads. I would not buy the car again.I had hoped to keep this car until the 100,000 mile warrranty was over. Perhaps someone will develope a shock that will last. I would be willing to pay for it.I suspect the springs are so bad they destroy any shock you would put in, but I do not know.Still like the car, though.

Having another problem with the seat belt . Seems that the tension is very tight. I keep pulling it away from my neck. wife , son and dealer say it is normal. So maybe it's just me but it never bothered me beofre. I have tried different adjustments on the height but would be interested if anyone else is experiencing this.
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    I agree with you. After about 1000 miles the ride is not so good. I have to slow down to 60 on the bad stretch of road I go on every day for about 3 miles. The car is fine 95% of the time but you do have to slow down on bouncy roads. I would not buy the car again.I had hoped to keep this car until the 100,000 mile warrranty was over. Perhaps someone will develope a shock that will last. I would be willing to pay for it.I suspect the springs are so bad they destroy any shock you would put in, but I do not know.Still like the car, though.

Having another problem with the seat belt . Seems that the tension is very tight. I keep pulling it away from my neck. wife , son and dealer say it is normal. So maybe it's just me but it never bothered me beofre. I have tried different adjustments on the height but would be interested if anyone else is experiencing this.

I agree with you about the spring issue. Which is why I posted before that maybe replacing the spring (while the struts/shocks are good) might provide the support that's really needed so the strut/shock doesn't wear so quickly. I think the lowering springs that are available would do the trick as they would defnitely be much stiffer than the OEM ones.

As far as the seat belt, it's not normal. I would keep griping about until they finally decide to just replace it to make you happy and you'll see that it's probably a defective unit you've got now. If it keeps tightening, that means the tensioner isn't loosing up. It's only supposed to activate when the brakes are applied. When you come to a stop or start to accelerate again, it disengages and allows for the seat belt to move again. It would seem that the tensioner is stuck.
    Does anyone know of a source for a license plate bracket for the front bumper? The dealer says there isn't one, just drill holes and put screws in it.
    Thanks,
  • rmcbainrmcbain Member Posts: 50
    Hello: I noticed there was no license plate bracket for the fron of our Azera as well. I purchased a stainless steel license plate frame on line with Azera lasr etched into it and mounted it directly to the front of the car and it works well and looks even better.
    I posted in the accessories forum, but...

what I did was purchased a clear license plate cover, snapped the plate into it and then sealed the edges with clear silicone. Then I put a few strips of weather stripping on the back side of the plate, drilled the holes and installed the whole thing. It doesn't even wiggle or wobble and I've had it on for over 2 years now.

• jkolehjkoleh Member Posts: 38
    Purchased 2007 Hyundai Azera Ltd Ultimate one year ago and here are actual operating costs for the past year.

18,087 miles ( Probably 60% highway, 40% city/suburban)
    720 gallons of gas=mpg of 25.12
    Gas cost of $2273 or 3.15/gal (yuk)
    Insurance $365
    Maintenance $291
    License $365

Operating cost per mile about 18 cents ( not including depreciation)
    thanks,
    I bit the bullet and drilled two holes in the bumper and mounted a plate with a frame around it. Lo and behold, the "bump" on the bumper is visable on either side.
    Another example of Hyundai sending a car designed for Korea here without making appropriate modifications?
    I have owned foreign cars since 1974 and never had one where the space for the plate was larger than a plate, much less a plate and a frame.
    I bit the bullet and drilled two holes in the bumper and mounted a plate with a frame around it. Lo and behold, the "bump" on the bumper is visable on either side.

What do you mean by bump? Mine fit flush with no problems at all.
    By bump, I mean the rectangular projection in the bumper. You can see the edges of the projection on either side of the plate frame.
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    Bob I think you must have a pre-production Azera. :=) With all the problems with your car now the front bumper ? My 07 plate fits fine
    If you can could you post a picture of the bumper
    By bump, I mean the rectangular projection in the bumper. You can see the edges of the projection on either side of the plate frame.

Mine has a beveled edge to it and you can see it, only if you are right up on it. If THAT is a major concern...I'm sure a lot of Azera owners would love to trade places with you. ;)

I looked at mine again and like I said...you have to really be up on it to see the edges that you're talking about.
    It's not a major concen, but just another example of how the car was not modified for the American market, as other manufacturers do and Hyundai has done for other models.
    It's not a major concen, but just another example of how the car was not modified for the American market, as other manufacturers do and Hyundai has done for other models.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm...not quite sure I understand what you mean by that. You seem to be the only person to EVER say anything about the front license plate mount. If it weren't modified, then U.S. plates wouldn't fit at all without some sort of bracket. Considering all states don't require a front plate, they probably didn't address a need for a front mounting bracket. Personally...I like the flush look of the plate against the front bumper.

Could you post a pic showing exactly what you mean???

Okay...now does yours look like this? If so, how is that not made for the North American market???
  • jimsinkoreajimsinkorea Member Posts: 23
    I think the US plates look crappy. I purchased an Azera and have shipped it to Korea, unfortunantly I cannot put a European style plate on the back because it was modified for the States. The European plates just look so much better on cars than the square plates we use. I also had the rear Azera badge replaced and put on Granduer to get a backup camera and installed a sweet in dash hyundai entertainment system that has the backup camera, TV (about 13 channels), DVD, DIVX, etc... The States won't allow TV, DVD, etc... to work in the front which just takes away from the car. If you are sweet on the Azera you should see some of them riding around in Korea....
    jimsinkorea...everyone will have their preference.

compared to...

The states don't allow for DVD/TV to play up front and for good reason, however...that doesn't stop the masses from bypassing the e-brake cut off and making it work while in motion anyway.

I can only imagine how sweet the ones over in Korea are considering that's the point of origin and I'm sure they have more aftermarket stuff available to them that we have yet to see. Here's one you can check out...

Jason's Hyundai Azera Page

There's a couple of sources available to those of us here that we can hook our Azeras up if we choose. Only thing is...the majority here buying them are the age group that have no interest in "hooking up" their Azera.
    The bulge in the front bumper cover under the grill is too wide for standard US plates, even with a frame around them. It should be covered if a plate is installed, but the edges still show.
    I have owned Mazdas, Saabs, Audis, Nissans, Toyotas, Fiats, etc and all of them had an appropriate size space for US plates on the front and back or no space at all. Most foreign cars do not have a bump, space or anything. The bumper cover is usually smooth until you get right up on it and see dimples for drilling. I had to kneel down 1 foot from the bumper cover to see the ones on my Toyata Camry.
    Hyundai has the too large rectangle and six obvious dimples on it.
    Not a major thing, but another indication of poor planning of the Azera for the US market.
    The bulge in the front bumper cover under the grill is too wide for standard US plates, even with a frame around them.

You must've ended up with a Korean spec Azera then, either that or a U.S. Azera with a Korean spec bumber cover on it. My Azera has the bulge just like in the pic below and my plate covers it just nicely.

See how small that raised section is, just right for a U.S. plate. That is how mine is and all the ones I've seen running around.

Post a pic for us to see what you're talking about.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Poor planning, in this case, would be for Hyundai to ship the same Grandeur/Azera everywhere, but obviously that wasn't the case.

On the other hand, the Audi Q7's front end, for example, were not made for most US plates.
    That's the one I am talking about. I have a standard size plate with a frame around it and you can still see the edges of the bulge from a distance. Sorry, not able to take a picture of it.
    Did an unscientific survey last couple of days while on road, in parking lots and looking through car magazines. Of all the cars I saw, none had a space for a plate molded into the bumper cover except Ford vehicles and those were slightly larger than a standard plate to allow for a frame. Some vehicles in mags were obviously in Japan or Europe and had the long plates.
    Most either had a smooth bumper cover or perhaps a couple of dimples for drilling. A few trucks and SUV's did have holes for mounting a bracket or a plate, but this seemed to be if they had a bumper as such.
    As I said, this is not a major problem, but TO ME it indicates a lack of planning on Hyundai's part when they decided to market the car in America. If they did not plan for this, what else did not modify for USA, other than suspension?
    Thanks for your input and I am trying not to be picky. :)
    Stayed on for an hour. On my way back after the car sat all day, no lights or warnings. Is this something I should look into ot a fluke computer glitch?
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    I would certainly take it to the dealer ASAP. Even though it may not be showing any signs, it would have thrown a code which the dealer can diagnose. It is unlikely that it is a computer malfunction, more a temporary failure of ABS system. Maybe some ABS component/semsor might be under performing slowly.
    I don't know...with the air bag light issue I'm having, I wouldn't throw out the possibility of computer glitches. Every time I've taken it in, they check the codes and it keeps throwing back a historical code from some event that never happened. They clear the code and within a week...the air bag light is back on.

So far, I've had the front passenger seat belt tensioner replaced as well as the bottom seat cushion due to codes saying those components were at fault. Guess what, the light came on again after those replacements were done.

The hardest thing now is getting the light to come on when the service department is open so I can drop by while the light is on so they can check it out.
    Bad sensor in one of the wheels. Being replaced Monday.
    I truly do hope that eliminates your problem. My air bag light came on, due to a faulty sensor connected to the seat belt pretensioner, got it replaced and the air bag light came back on. This time, bad sensor in the seat cushion, go that replaced...and you guessed it, light came back on again. I know all the sensors can't be bad, it's gotta be a computer glitch or something. Well...I'm scheduled to take it back in Wednesday and let them look at it again.

Good luck with yours.
    Okay...you want a Genesis, but financially it just doesn't look like the numbers will work for you. Don't fret, I feel your pain. Well...for those that want one, get the next best thing!

KIA - Azera Genesis Grille
  • prt4prt4 Member Posts: 9
    Re 2007 aza
    My tripmeter has a mind of it's own.
    It won't keep the right mileage on the tripmeter.
    Filled the tank when 10 miles. Next day went to the store the meter showed 3 miles.It reset itself. Dealer said nothing wrong.
    Anyone else have this problem?
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    My '06 Azera has done this 3 or 4 times in two years and 18K miles. Others have also noted the problem in various blogs.
    will have fixed at the enxt service.
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    I have enjoyed reading many posts on this forum. I have traded my Azera on on a new Entourage. I thought I would report my problems before leaving this forum.
    I am happy to report that I have had NO PROBLEMS what so ever. The dealer ZIMBRICK HYUNDAI of Madison, WI was one of the most professional dealerships I I have ever worked with. They make buying a car EASY

Mileage 32,455 ---- a little over 27 mpg. If I needed to buy another sedan I would pick an Azera again.............It was a great ride
    Thanks again folks for all the info
    HJC
  • jimsinkoreajimsinkorea Member Posts: 23
    I have this on my car already. Paid $130 bucks for it in Korea. I also have a 7 inch touchscreen that does Navigation, plays DVD, picks up TV, music, etc... Also have a nice spoiler on the back which I must say, changed the cars appearence alot.
    Know this is in the wrong place, but do not how to post to a NEW topic, so if someone wants to move it, please do.

Has anyone noticed a problem with an odor in the trunk? Have an 07 with 14,500 miles on it. Always had an odor which I thought came from the polyporpolene(?) trunk mat and that it would eventually go away. It hasn't. Car stays garaged most of the time and rarely use trunk.
    Drove it 150 miles and parked in the sun for 3 hours, temp. about 74. When came out and opened trunk, the odor was intense. Friend who was with me started coughing from it and refused to put anything in the trunk. It had also gotten into a small canvas type carrier that was in the trunk.
    Tried to air mat out, but did no good. Actually I done this for 3 days when the car was new with no results.
    Anybody else had this problem? Will check with dealer next week, but wondering if anyone knows what the solution is?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I moved it here. All you need to do is locate the topic that most closely fits your question and post it there. The Azera topics can be found here. Hope this helps!
    I have an 07 & haven't had any smell. (I also have the mat like yours)

I think a number of issues could have happened. Did you leave anything in your trunk (like a plastic grocery bag or something) that might have melted in there? When you leave things in your trunk where it gets extremely warm in summer, plastic melts & clings to the walls.

Or, something might have been spilled there. I had that happen to me on my old car. I was carrying a box of curry from a caterer for a friend's party. While I was driving, unknown to me, the lid came off & spillled the pungent curry all over my trunk. It got into even the tiniest crevices of the trunk, into the frame, behind the mat etc. When I started cleaning it, I found out that it had caked underneath due to the heat & I just wasn't able to clean it. The smell never got out. I really had to spray a freshener every day to control it.

I advice you to take everything out from your trunk (mats, spare tire, jack etc.) Clean inside & all things in the trunk with a mild soap solution, leave open the trunk for few hours for it to air out. Also, go to the auto store to buy a spray like Renuzit or something that claim to get rid of cigarette smell & use it regularly for few weeks & see what happens. The point here is to carefully clean everything - trunk & everything in it.

Btw, have you seen that Seinfeld episode where Seinfeld had the same issue??
    Lol!
    Been like this since day one, but seems to be getting worse. If I smell the mat, it is the odor. If I leave it out for a few days, odor goes away. At least it did initially. Seems to be getting worse for some reason, but I am 99.9% sure it is the mat. Of course by now could be into other materials in the trunk.
    Interesting. Maybe you could try leaving out the mat for few days & see if the smell persists in the trunk. If so, then probably Hyundai could replace your mat. Even if they don't, the mat is quite cheap. I would suggest getting the cargo tray rather than the mat. It is quite sturdy, has a lip so that if anything spills, you can just hose down the mat.
  • achambers1achambers1 Member Posts: 1
    Would anyone know if it is possible to replace the front of the radio? Are you able to get a new bezel, or cover it with wood grain. The front of the radio received 4 scratches including the plexiglas area. It is driving me crazy as I see it each time I get into the car.
    The hassle it would take to replace the front of the radio really isn't worth it. You're better off just replacing the whole unit completely.
    You might want to search on Ebay. Couple of weeks ago I saw one advertized for about $120. I don't think you can change just the bezel. Or, you can use one of those plastic scratch removing products they sell in auto stores.

Or, as allmet says, you might want to upgrade to better head unit & get more features.
    Be careful with the plastic scratch removing products. I'm not sure how soft the plastic is on the viewing window of the radio and you could end up doing more damage than good. Maybe there's a product out there for delicate surfaces, but you would certainly want to take your time. Question is...would it really be worth it to put that much work into it?

Ebay for $120 for a replacement OEM unit or for $50+ (depending on what you pick), you can have a brand new unit with many more features, better sound output and greater expandability and not have to worry about it. I would put my OEM unit up for offer, but there's the remote chance that I would trade the Azera in later on down the road and I would want to be able to put it back in and pull out my aftermarket equipment.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. If you go with a scratch removal product, please post your results and let us know how it went.
    I have to wholeheartedly agree with allmet33 here. You have to be very careful when using those products & frankly, I wouldn't go that route.

Or, you can use this as an opportunity to upgrade to a better one, with Navi, BT etc. (allmet33 is the boss when it comes to these issues!)
  • prairiedog1prairiedog1 Member Posts: 8
    Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
    HYUNDAI / ACCENT 2006-2007

HYUNDAI / AZERA 2007

HYUNDAI / ELANTRA 2007

HYUNDAI / ENTOURAGE 2006-2007

HYUNDAI / SANTA FE 2007

HYUNDAI / SONATA 2006-2007

HYUNDAI / TUCSON 2005-2007

HYUNDAI / VERACRUZ 2007-2008

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V122000
    Summary:
    HYUNDAI IS RECALLING 531,894 MY 2006-2007 ACCENT, ENTOURAGE, SONATA, MY 2007 AZERA, ELANTRA AND SANTA FE, MY 2005-2007 TUCSON AND MY 2007-2008 VERACRUZ VEHICLES. THE STOP LAMP SWITCH IN THE AFFECTED VEHICLES MAY MALFUNCTION. A MALFUNCTIONING STOP LAMP SWITCH MAY CAUSE THE BRAKE LIGHTS TO NOT ILLUMINATE WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL IS DEPRESSED OR MAY CAUSE THE BRAKE LIGHTS TO REMAIN ILLUMINATED WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL IS RELEASED. A STOP LAMP SWITCH MALFUNCTION MAY AFFECT THE OPERATION OF THE BRAKE-TRANSMISSION SHIFT INTERLOCK FEATURE SO THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTER WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO BE SHIFTED OUT OF PARK POSITION. IT MAY ALSO CAUSE THE ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL (ESC) MALFUNCTION LIGHT TO ILLUMINATE, AND IT MAY NOT DEACTIVATE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL IS DEPRESSED.
    Consequence:
    THESE MALFUNCTIONS MY LEAD TO A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE STOP LAMP SWITCH FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HYUNDAI CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE CENTER AT 1-800-633-5151.
    Notes:
    HYUNDAI RECALL NO. 092. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
    Called Hyundai toll free number at 2:11 PM EST. After going through several automated selections and getting to "recalls," electronically informed that we are closed. Call back at 4:30 PM. Tried to bypass by asking for representative, but still ended up with above message.
  • prairiedog1prairiedog1 Member Posts: 8
    This only affects Azera's made between 20 Sept 06 and 30 Nov 06. And does not apply to any Azera's sold in Canada.
  • poleypoley Member Posts: 6
    Just bought a 2007 Azera Limited with 36K miles. Obtained the certification for the 100K warranty on the drivetrain. Does it make sense to buy the extended bumper to bumper for 100K with the vehicle? There are a lot of bells and whistles on the car.
    Poley...the only time it makes sense to pay for extended warranties is if you plan on putting a lot of mileage on the ar or keeping it for a very long time. Make sure you follow up with Hyundai on that 100k mile powertrain warranty. According to most information, the 2nd owner of a Hyundai vehicle doesn't get the full 10yr/100k miles warranty. Doesn't hurt to make sure.

As far as the bumper-to-bumper...do some homework. I paid for mine and found out that Hyundai is using 3 different ones. The company that honors my warranty is some B.S. for real. See if you can contact Hyundai directly to purchase the extended bumper-to-bumper warranty from them as I have heard the Hyundai backed warranty is better. I've had my '06 Azera for about 3.5 years and I've got just over 72k miles. If I hadn't purchased the extended warranty...then I would have to come out of pocket for everything. Instead, I have to pay a $100 deductible for any covered claims.
    Thanks for the insights. With the 100K drivetrain warranty, we were told that they would certify the car and give us the rest of the original Hyundai warranty. As far as the bumper to bumper, they told us it would be from Hyundai and (I think) the platinum coverage was about $1400. I will make sure it's legitimate by contacting Hyundai. I've had the car 2 days and am impressed with its handling, features and performance.
    In that case, it sounds like a GREAT deal to be honest.

Go over what the the bumper-to-bumper will and won't cover. Mine...it'll cover a wear item like a strut, but it won't cover a non wear item such as a fog light housing that's taking on water. Go figure.

The car truly is a wonderful car when you break it down to terms of what you get for your money. I've been quite happy with mine as it is a very user friendly car for those that like to perform some of their own preventive maintenance. I'm sure you'll find plenty of helpful/useful information in regards to your Azrea on these forums. There's also another forum Hyundai Forums where you can find a lot of great information as well.

Good luck and happy motoring!!! :shades:
    Thanks so much! I will check out the other Forum, and yes, we will plan to keep a good car well over 100K miles so I think the extended warranty, if it checks out, will be a good idea.
    I think it is great that you're getting the Hyundai Certified car so you are good to go till 100k on your powertrain.

As allmet said, get the warranty from a reputed place (preferably, a Hyundai backed) and not from something dealer is pushing or from some companies ypu see advertised on TV. I bought an extended warranty on my 07 & it is from Zurich. Although it isn't from Hyndai, Zurich is a big Insurance MNC & I'm hoping that they wouldn't try to BS me in future. (They're as big as AIG, but well know how it went down with AIG!!! No guarantees in life!!)

Before signing on the dotted line, I would suggest you do thorough research on the warranty company. There have been too many cases where these fly-by-night operators have gone bust.

In the end it made sense for me to buy the insurance as I plan on keeping my car for a long time & I do put relatively more miles on my car. (Not like allmet though, he's a maniac!!). If it is from a good company, price is reasonable and you plan on keeping the car for a while, it might make sense to get warranty.