Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2007

Comments

• oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    I have had a problem with the drivers seat belt being so tight it hurts my neck and shoulder.It releases ok and does not stick but the tension is just too tight. Pasenger side ok. This just started about a year after I got the car. Can the belt get tighter? I have never heard of this.

Anyway Dealer won't replace so I have filed a dispute with Hyundai. They are looking into this. I would be curious to know if anyone has ever head of this happening. I drive rental cars or friends cars and no problem so it is not Me.

There are devices I can use to stop the belt from completly retrackting but I would rather get this fixed. I hope I do not have to file one of those seperate disputes with that other agency.Too bad these things are not adjustable.
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Oskidunker1...it really could be an issue with the tensioner. My seat belt retracts, but it doesn't tighten until I apply the brakes. I would seriously keep pressing the dealer on this issue and force the issue that you believe the seat belt tensioner is defective. Not sure why they wouldn't just go ahead and replace it as it would be covered by the bumper-to-bumper warranty. If they won't do it, try going to another dealer and tell them how hard of a time the 1st dealership has given you. Maybe they'll go out of their way to win your business over.
    They said they would call me Tuesday. Very Dissapointing. Looks Like I will have to call them again Monday.The dealer did say they call him to check some things .The guy I talked to said it had to be approved by his supervisor. Maybe the guy took the whole week off for the 4th and nobody else can make a decision.
  • rance2rance2 Member Posts: 39
    Please advise any fix to being able to hookup Ipod to a 2007 Azera Limited ... including adaptors or replacing the audio system in dash ... or ?? I have the XM system if that means anything. Appreciate whatever guidance you may offer. Thanks.
    Finally they replaced the seat belt and what a difference! I can actuall wear the thing without pain in my shoulder. The tension is about half what it was with the old belt.
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    That was a weird one, first time I've read of such a problem with the Azera...
  • ms090870ms090870 Member Posts: 9
    I also have an 07 Azera and know that if you arm your alarm and it is accidentally disarmed by remote but none of the doors are opened, then the car will rearm itself shortly (I do not know how long it takes, but it is not long).

I hope that made sense but if you remember to arm the alarm when you get out the first time then no matter how many times you "accidentally" disarm the car it will rearm itself as long as no one opens the doors or truck.

Hope that helps. :shades:
  • ratledgeratledge Member Posts: 233
    This is a safety feature due to the possibility of you accidentally hitting the button while putting the keys on your pocket or similar. If nobody opens any of the doors (or the trunk), the system will re-arm itself in 30 seconds.
    The trunk, on the other hand, will not relock itself if you accidently press the trunk button on the remote. At least it doesn't automatically open wide and invitingly if it does unlock... ;)

Here's what I did with my remote, to cut down on the accidental presses; I separated the key from the fob, then hang the fob on my belt:

• ratledgeratledge Member Posts: 233
    True, it does not, though - as you noted, the trunk doesn't pop open like most, it simply disengages the latch and stays basically closed. I like it that way, frankly.

An "Easter Egg" most people don't know about: if your Azera (any model year as far as I know) is already unlocked, there is a soft pressure point inside the license plate frame slightly right of center on the top inside lip: just press and the trunk releases with no key or need to open the door. It's a little hard to find if you've never tried it, reach inside the top lip, slightly to the right of center and hunt around for a soft pliable spot - and press. ;)
    At a stand still I put a level on the hood and the bubble is right in the middle. 30K on the car. Is this possible and what could be causing this> Shocks were done once. maybe a Bad spring?
  • rmcbainrmcbain Member Posts: 50
    Hi: we have urchased a new 2007 Azera Limited and the front suspension appears to be very soft after just 12000 miles. It was never really firm but now floats over any dips on the road and feels very unstable. Any help would be appreciated. We have taken it to the dealership and they said there and no TSB or recalls on this. I thought I saw something about front struts or shocks on this in one of the posts.
    Regards
    Mac :(
    Thats the way the car is. I have replaced the shocks and after a few thousand miles it is the same. I have learned to live with it.In my opinion, it is not worth replacing the shocks. The whole design is bad. But the rest of the car is great!
    Never noticed that my 2007 Azera does not have Low or D2. Came off a 5,000 foot peak on a winding road with a steep drop and rode the brakes all the way down. Not a good feeling of control as the driver. Anyone with similar experiences and ideally a "fix"? :surprise:
    You do have the option of switching over to manual mode and taking it down to 2 or even 1 if you're going really slow...it does the same thing.
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    This car has Shiftronic transmission, so it is better than having the D2 or Low!

Why didn't you make use of the Shiftronic to control your descent?? All you would have had to do was to push the Shifter to the Right & moved it towards + or - to shift Up or Down. It gives you greater control over your speed.
    Thanks to allmet and wobbly ears (and anyone else out there that stays aware of all of the features of our Azeras). :sick:
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    There is a TSB for shock (strut) replacement on 2006 and 2007 Azeras. Scroll the Azera site here for suspension or front end problems. Go back to earliest topics. Not much new entered so it dropped down on the list.
    However, I have had two new sets of shocks with no improvement - and I only have 16,500 on my 07. New shocks will work better for awhile, but then ride will deteriorate again. Both new sets were installed by Hyundai at no charge.
    Three options: accept it as it is, sell it or try Lemon Law.
    I have learned to live with mine until I can sell it.
    Good luck and some people accept the ride in view of the other, good things about the car.
    BTW, Azera, Genesis and even Equus are known to have inferior rides compared to other cars in their classes. Not my opinion, reviews by professionals and way too many owners.
    "... Not my opinion, reviews by professionals and way too many owners."

Ah, there you are our dear old friend! I was wondering where you were. I am trying to be my civil best when I ask you this.

Citation Please.
    On second thought, I don't want to engage in another fruitless argument with Carolinabob.

I'm out.
    Just had 30K service. Now hear a dull "thump-thump" sound that seems to come from front end. Similar to a very muted sound of a flat tire. Taking it to dealer this afternoon. Any thoughts on problem.
    They likely rotated your tires and you may have had a rear tire with a problem that is more noticible as a front tire...
    Yup, That was dealer's diagnosis too. Switched two front tires and we'll see what happens. By the way, I couldn't be happier with a car - balancing price & quality.
    I have listed them several times and am tired of playing that game. Newest is Consumer Reports website, consumer opinions on Genesis. 54% had negative comments on the ride.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Genesis is not on topic here, thank you for keeping that in mind.
    30k on the car. What a pain. I wish they did not put this crap in cars. It all fails eventually.
  • medic481medic481 Member Posts: 32
    I have an '07 limited with 19500 miles on it. A few days ago, I noticed that the passenger side dash blowout panel that covers the airbag module has an open seam. When you look at it you can see the outline of the flap that would tear open in the event of an airbag deployment. The seam is separating along the side closest to the door. I am surprised to see this, since the car is garage kept and, since I live in Southern CA, I always use a dash sunshade when out and about.
    I called Glendale Hyundai and was surprised with the offer by the service manager to "bring it in and we will order a new dash and replace it in a couple of days". No arguement whatsoever. That leads me to think that this problem has been reported before. Anyone have a similar issue?
    Hi: We also encountered the same problem on our 07 Azera. It is a defect from the dash pad manufacturer. We also had a stress crack in the windshield on the passenger side about four inches from the door pillar. The dealer said the cars were manufactured with such tight tolerances that this has happened on a few other models. We also own a 07 Santa Fe and had the same windshield problem but it was on the drivers side.
    One more piece of information is that the struts on the Azera are fairly soft and we are having our changed after only 12000 miles. The ride has deterioated and the cars feels very unstable at any speed above 55 miles per hour. :)
  • medic481medic481 Member Posts: 32
    I posted here earlier ( #847) about a defective dashboard. Just got the car back from Glendale Hyundai (CA)- They did a great job replacing the top section of the dash, and also a defective idler pulley that was making a growling or whining noise. I have to say I am happy with the work and they did not balk whatsoever at doing the warranty work. Only problem was that the mechanic failed to properly tighten the negative battery clamp after reattaching it. Amazingly the car started and ran fine all the way home. I found the problem this morning when I tried to start the engine and suddenly lost all power. Strangely, I couldn't tighten the clamp enough to make it tight. I had to go to several auto parts stores to locate a shim for the battery post. Once I added the shim the clamp was then snug enough to secure. All in all, a fairly painless repair experience.
    Why didn't you take it to the dealer? You should not have to use a shim on the battery post, no matter how "painless." Is it possibly an indication of some other problem?
    BTW, I have seen at least one post from someone who had to have the dash replaced twice for this problem.
    Makes you wonder when the same problem shows up so many times.
    Have experienced a slight rattle in the dash. It was happening going over bumps, but now is pretty much steady in all but the smoothest of road conditions. Anyone with similar experience and fix? :(
    Hello: We have had the four struts replaced on our 2007 Azera after only 13000 miles. the ride had deterioated that the car was unsafe at speeds over 55 MPH. The car now drives like it was when purchased. I think Hyundai should investigate the problem and issue a TSB as the handling is not safe at highway speeds. The dealership was more than professional and courteous. Great service and attention to detail. :)
  • jkolehjkoleh Member Posts: 38
    Here are my annual stats for other anal retentive Azera owners and for comparative purposes for calendar year 2009 for my 2007 Azera ltd.

Miles 15134
    MPG 25.61
    Cost/mile 17.8 cents, not including depreciation
    Ave cost per gallon of gas $2.26

Maintenance was high at $1249.67 which included 30,000 mile service and new set of tires. In its total mileage of 34408, car has had absolutely no mechanical issues other than a prematurely worn set of OE Michelin's.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. While I don't have the detail you've assembled, my 2007 Azera Ltd has 32,000 miles on it with zero mechanical issues. Tires are good for at least another 10K. :D
    My car is virtually identical in costs to jkoleh. Also did the tires.
    Hyundai has a recall regarding the seat belt harness wiring for Azeras. The NHTSA says that Hyundai would start notifying owners in Feb. Has anyone received any communications from Hyundai regarding this?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsummary.cfm?rcl_campaig- n_id=09V497000&prod_id=221375&moduletype=VEHICLE&make=HYUNDAI&model=AZERA&veh_mo- del_year=2007&searchtype=DrillDown

I'm really eager to get this repair done as I believe my 07 is afflicted with it. Passenger airbag light has been wonky for me in the past few weeks.
    Wobbly...thank you so much for posting this info. Maybe now my air bag light situation can finally be taken care of the way it should be. It's the ONLY issue I've really had with my Azera. Getting the broken lugs taken care of is a non-issue really...and the driver's side upper control arm to be replaced will be handled by the warranty.

How are things for you?
    The recall notice to registered owners is due this month (Feb), but as of the 21st, I've received nothing...
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    Neither have I.
    This is definitely Hyundai's opportunity to avoid the major mistake that Toytoa seems to have made recently.
  • SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    Talked to my Hyundai service manager today and he has one recall and said the notices were released O/A Feb 15th.
    For those wondering, here's a link that explains the recall. I just contacted my local dealer and they do show it in the system as well.

NHTSA 2006-2009 Hyundai Azera Recall
  • 29tomt29tomt Member Posts: 12
    I live in NE Florida and extremely cold weather for this area was the rule this winter. I got to noticing the engine making a noise and acting funning when cranked cold in the AM. Told the dealer when there for service. Left it to where they could crank it in the cold and it is the timing chain tensioner. It was explained that the engine is non-interference but the problem would worsen with age and they have had to replace a few. Job takes several days and they gave me a rental.

I ignored this problem on an older Elantra and it let go and ate up the engine.
    The did mine Monday as it was in their computer before I received the notice in the mail. Did not take long and was handled during normal service.
    I had those Michelin tires and after hearing the noise they made after the first rotation, I finally had to replace them at 25K miles. I though Michelin were good tires but not the OE tires that came on the Azera. I went with Goodyear replacements and have been very happy. Got my quiet car back.
    I was in for service and looked at the 2010 Sonata. That is one nice car and more economical than the Azera now. I still like my 2007 though. Service Advisor told me that there is another model coming out soon that is aimed at the BMW 7 series and it would have something like a 400HP engine.

What has always made me curious though is that you never hardly see the higher end Hyundai models advertised. It is like they are a big secret or something. Any one know why?
  • SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    Hi 29tomt, I know you meant the 2011 Sonata and yes it is a fine looking car. There will be no more 6 cylinders in the Sonata, it now has a new refined 4 cylinder and puts out 198 and 200 horsepower and later this year it will offer a Turbo model. You Service Advisor is out in left field to say they will have a 400 HP engine.

Yes, they do advertise the high end Hyundai ie: Genesis, but not the Azera till next year when it is redesigned and fill in for the missing Sonata 6 cylinder.

At the dealer on Tuesday for tire install and alignment and recall, I witnessed two 2011 Sonatas get sold during my 2 hour appointment.
    The car your service advisor was telling you about is the upcoming Equus. The initial model will have the same 4.6 V-8 that's in the Genesis. It's possible it can be tweaked above the current HP output to offset the extra weight the Equus will have over the Genesis. Now there is a rumor that Hyundai will be producing a 5.0 V-8 that will produce somewhere around 425 HP that may go into a high line model of the Equus (long wheel base version). Never know at this point...right now, they just need to get the Equus to market and see how it does. If they hold true to pricing scheme, then it would start around $46-48K and end somewhere close to $60K.

Hyundai is going to put ads out about their cars that will sell to the masses. However, once folks get in the door, they'll see the other models and be wowed. If you look on Hyundai's website, they call the Azera their "best kept secret".
  • stcroixboystcroixboy Member Posts: 63
    They handled the recall on mine as well last week while I was in for service.

I had taken it in for a crack in the top of the dash as others have reported (air bag area) and a noisy rear window screen. They ordered a new dash pad and a roller mechanism for the screen and will be providing me with a complimentary loaner for two days this week while they complete the repairs.

My 07 is four months short of three years old with 47,000 miles and these are the first issues that I have experienced. Good service by my dealer, great build quality and a strong warranty makes for a great automobile for the price.
  • alymacalymac Member Posts: 31
    You lucky guy!
    My dash pad cracked.........I was told it was not a warranty issue. I subsequently
    found info on the internet that in fact it was...least in the States. So I printed the
    infornation and sent it to the dealer. He still tried to get out of it until I pushed the point.........he reluctantly brought the dash in....the whole ding dang unit. I thought it was just the top piece they would replace..dumb me..it was the whole dash assembly...and I had installed a dash kit for over $300.00 before the crack appeared
    so I was s----d . It was the dealers struggle to admit that is most annoying.Dont they get paid for warranty work? Like whats his problem?
    My Azera is 2006. And a loaner...jeeeeesssss..I have to rent a car everytime
    %$%$#@. You 've got a good dealer.....and one who knows whos paying his wages...
    the customer! I live in Chilliwack, BC Canada