Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2007

Comments

• wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    Blame Canada! (Sorry, had to do it! Been watching too many Southpark episodes).

Have you tried other dealers? The experience varies from dealer to dealer. You might get better treatment at another dealer.
  • alymacalymac Member Posts: 31
    When its a warranty job there should be consistency from dealer to dealer. The hairbrain that would do his own dealership out of warranty work is just that...a hairbrain!
    edited March 2010
    Most Hyundai dealerships still haven't graduated from the 80s when they had to sell crappy Excels. These days Hyundai wants to sell Azeras, Genesis & Equus.

If there's a Trojan horse for Hyundai, it is their less-than-desirable dealers. Hyundai better start imposing strict service levels on its dealers.

Hyundai's dealership network & service levels do not do justice to their products.
  • poleypoley Member Posts: 6
    Took mine in for the recall and was out of there in 40 minutes. Does the seatbelt correction fix the problem of locking the passenger in the seat without any sudden movement? I certainly hope so.
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    Does the seatbelt correction fix the problem of locking the passenger in the seat without any sudden movement?
    Per the recall notice I received: if your vehicle experiences the air bag warning lamp with a passenger in the seat, they replace the seat belt assembly and the wiring. If you don't already have that problem, they simply reroute the wiring - the latter fix would not affect your seat belt's mechanical operation.
  • stcroixboystcroixboy Member Posts: 63
    I guess I am a lucky guy...that I bought a Hyundai!

Just picked it up and returned the complimentary loaner (2010 Sonata) and the bill was a whopping $0.00.

Got to love the warranty and my dealer has been great.
  • 29tomt29tomt Member Posts: 12
    I generally average in the 18s in north Florida in the winter and it does a little better in town in the summer. Some one said the change in the fuel blend has to do with the difference. Over a period of a year without resetting the odometer, in a combination of hiway and town driving with most being in town, I averaged 22 to 23. Is this about normal for the car? I did just have the fuel injectors cleaned and the next morning it back fired when I cranked it and turned on the check engine light and took it back to the dealer and they said some crapola has dislodged and they took care of everything. It was then I asked about the rattle and rough running when cold cranked in below 30 degree weather and they replaced the chain tensioner. All at no charge. Car runs good. No problems since I got rid of the Michelin tires. Road noise was driving me nuts.
  • medic481medic481 Member Posts: 32
    edited May 2010
    I am considering installing Pulstar plugs in my '07 Ltd. Has anyone else used these, and if so what do you think? Pulstars are supposed to give an increase in horsepower and milage. Wondering if it's worth the investment.
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    More junk science .... Google reviews on these plugs
    Amazon also has customer reviews on these plugs
    If these plugs were as good as they claim ALL car co. would use them.....
    Yup.
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    if you want to improve performance over your OEM plugs. Then your best bet may be to go with the NGK Iridium plugs. NGK makes plugs specifically for cars of the Asian persuasion. I've currently got 85k miles on my Azera and will be replacing the plugs around 100k miles with the NGK Iridium IX plugs.

NGK Plugs
  • SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    Good choice of plugs allmet33, used NGK's in my 300M with very good performance. Changing plugs on the 3.8 looks like a job, got to remove the intake manifold to get out the back 3 plugs.
    Thanks. My initial choice was Bosh Platinum +4's, but talking with a tech...he said they burn to hot for Asian engines. They are designed for European engines that require a hotter plug. He said using a plug that burns too hot could burn my engine up over time.

Dealer wants like $250 to replace the plugs on the Azera. I'll look around and see what I can find or see just how hard a job it really is. I do know that when you remove the manifold, you have to put a new gasket back on it when you put it all back together.
  • jhanselljhansell Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my Azera for 3 years now and love it. Comfortable, easy to drive, sporty, nice sound system and a persistant squeak from the dashboard.

I have been able to identify it related to gas pedal pressure. At Speeds up to about 40 MPH when pressure to the pedal is applied there is a recurring squeak that sounds like it is related, chirp, chirp, chirp...

When I release the pedal pressue no squeak.

Has anyone had this issue and found a resolution?

I am reluctant to take to the shop for the "we dont hear it sir" routine.
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    edited June 2010
    Haven't heard it, but it might be related to a slight body flex or some other slight change in dynamic under accelleration, as opposed to the actual accellerator pedal. I know this doesn't help at all... ; )
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    The lasy year or so I have noticed back pain in the left middle of my back when driving an hour or more. I generally don't use the lumbar but am fooling around with it to see if it is of any help. Is the passing on the seat not as good after 3 years? Is there any solution if this is the issue?
  • rmcbainrmcbain Member Posts: 50
    Hi: Have you had a dash cover replaced as their was a problem by the passenger air bag cracking. We had ours changed and no squeaks so you might ask the dealership to check for a loose clip or fastener. There is so much plastic in the news cars everything must fit exactly right or you get squeaks from plastic rubbing on plastic. You might also want to check where the dash meets the windshield pillar. Have a friend ride with you an have him hold his hand on different places on the dash while driving or when the squeak occurs. Hope this helps.
    Could be a number of issues. I've logged just over 88k miles (as of this last weekend) over the almost 4.5 years of ownership and my Azera is no less comfortable than it was when I first got it. Still being active in sports, I find the heated seats to be quite therapeutic when the lower back gets sore.

Good luck on finding a solution.
  • 101649101649 Member Posts: 192
    I use the inflatable lumbar support regurarly mostly to change the "feeling" of the support on long drives...don't have any back problems, but the change in support pressure seems to relieve or reduce any fatigue...have had the lumbar support "motor" replaced 3X since '06..all under warranty
  • ruppbruppb Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Azera Limited has the rain sensing wipers. I have always been extremely unhappy with them. In fact, the gas mileage and the wipers are my only complaints about the Azera. They are extremely inconsistent, waiting far too long to turn on at times and at other times running at high speed for a light mist. They do not have a timer - only the rain sensor. My wife won't drive my car in the rain. Yesterday I was buying a new Hyundai for my daughter and the salesman told me you can bypass the rain sensor and go to an intermittent operation, stating that the manual explains how to do this. Turns out he was incorrect. Does anyone else hate this feature like I do?
  • bmb1767bmb1767 Member Posts: 64
    You can go to an intermittent operation, but then I have a 2009. Is this something with the 2007?
  • poleypoley Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2007 and can't really relate to the sensing problem. If I feel the wipers are going too fast or two slow, I will manually adjust them. I bought the car used a year ago and have put about 17K miles on it. Other than a couple of minor recalls, the car has been great! One problem I had was with the passenger seatbelt locking for no reason, but I believe a recall finally took care of that issue. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat!
    You can turn off the automatic feature and just turn on the wipers manually when you need them. Slow or fast. This is the first car I have owned with automatic Windshield washers. I don't need this feature.
    Azeras do have intermittent wipers! You need to push down your stalk by a notch. This disengages the automatic wipers. Now, turn the barrel to adjust the speed you want. When you want auto wipers, just push the stalk up a notch & auto wipers are on!

I don't have my manual with me, but the manual shows you how to do it. I also have a 2007, btw.
  • s380s380 Member Posts: 2
    I took my 07 SE (17" wheels) to a Firestone dealer for tire rotation (OEM Michelins - 23k mi). On the lift, the inside shoulder of each tire showed visible cupping, which was causing loud humming and minor vibration in the steering wheel.

After I told the service advisor that I had been rotating the wheels, he stated that "They (Hyundai) have had problems with the suspensions on these cars causing tire wear, but haven't been able to figure it out." I asked him how to prevent the same thing on a new set of tires; his only suggestion was to rotate at each oil change (I think he meant every 3500 mi).

This car has not shown any of the classic shock symptoms over the almost three years since it was new.

These wheels have been rotated at about 8k mi twice before. Is this a tire defect, wheel misalignment, the result of the infamous shock problems, or a new suspension defect?

Have any of y'all who had premature tire wear figured out the cause? Any recurrence of the problem with a new set of tires?
  • SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    Yes, I had the same problem with my 08, inside tire cupping and noise. Alignment was out of specs but to late to save the factory Michelins. Replaced tires with General Altimax HP's along with alignment, so far very quiet and no cupping for the first 7K.
  • rance2rance2 Member Posts: 39
    Same problem on my 2007. Began when tires were rotated first time around 25K. Lived with thumping noise until 36K and replaced with Goodyear. 5K later, all is now fine. Notably, the OEM Michelin model of tires have been discontinued.
    Driving up a hill at about 50 miles per hour , I floored it to pass someone and the engine raced and nothing happened. the car seemd to put itself in Neutral. i checked and it was in drive. I punched it again, same thing. I backed off on the rpms and it performed as normal. No problem since and I have tested it several times. An Anomoly or should I take the car in? due for a service in a month.
    If it's not repeating, it's likely some odd glitch. If you do take it in they could (for $50 or so) hook you up to the analyzer and look for any error codes...
    Still under the 100k warranty. :>)At least my steering wheel did not come off!
  • jkolehjkoleh Member Posts: 38
    Annual Stats for 2010 for my 2007 Ltd.
    Annual Miles 14,316, Avge MPG 24.18, Gas cost 10.5 cents per mile (CPM), License at 1.5 CPM, Maintence/parts at 4.7CPM, and insurance at 2.6 CPM for an overall CPM of about 19.3. These numbers do not include depreciation. Car based in MN so gas mileage like this am, at 20 below, probably at about 3 mpg. Still love the car and enjoy every drive in it. Total mileage now at 49,000.
    I have about the same Mileage in San francisco area. Get about 21.5 average and do mostly freeways.Annual miles about the same.oxygenated gasoline now until March reduces mpg about 10%, so we have to burn more. makes alot os sense, right? On a trip I can get 27mpg.

Nothing has really gone wrong except a few minor things covered by the warranty. every once in a while when I start the cat the rear sunshade goes up. I am going to mention that to the dealer next week just so it can eb documented in case is happens more often.

The CD Player stopped for a few weeks but has been fine lately.Might have gotten screwed up when I changed the battery.

My only regret is I wish I had gotten Blue instead of white. The white ain't bad, though.
  • stan28stan28 Member Posts: 14
    Noticed oil seepage from the valve cover going down to the alternator. Took it in for the 45k mileage service and told them. They found a service bulletin that the bolts were not torqued enough and fixed it under warranty.
    Had them replace the cracked dashboard as well. Other than replacing the rear sunscreen twice I have
    had no problems with the car and still love it. Saw the new Elantra in Black, sharp looking car.
  • hc106hc106 Member Posts: 10
    2007 Azera Limited with 43000 miles on it bought new. I have not had any of the above mentioned tire problems, although I switched to Goodyear Assurance after 25000, and they are far superior to the OEM Michellins. Also have not had the squeaking dash problem. The only problem so far is that the windshield washers quit working a couple of weeks ago. I'll get them checked out when I take in for the 45000 service. Incidentally, I bought this car from Baytown Hyundai in Baytown, Texas, and have taken it back there for regular servicing. I am very happy with the service department at this dealership, they are always friendly and very courteous and helpful.
  • ratledgeratledge Member Posts: 233
    I'm assuming when you say "replacing the rear sunscreen twice" you're just talking about the little plastic widget that gets torn up by the metal part that it meshes with - right?

Same thing in my '08 Ultimate model: I've had it go out twice on my car and both times they just replaced that little 10-cent part.
  • sonazsonaz Member Posts: 6
    When I finally dumped the oem Michelins, there was much less tire noise, but I still get vibration (slight even in steering wheel) with new tires which I had balanced twice.

So I suspect that I , too, have the 'suspension problem' that is not figured out. It is now 2011 and the 2007 (manufactured 4/2007) problem is still not figured out.

I wonder if it is substandard strut cartridges.

I did get one strut housing replaced under warranty - it was causing some 'chatter' at slow(5 mph) speed with side-to-side rocking on uneven (but not bumpy) pavment, such as in a parking lot.

Seems the other side has a slight chatter under same conditions.

Did you ever get the vibration fixed?
  • jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    Now about 113K on my 07 Ltd. Had to replace both headlights in last two months. Have replaced fogs previously, but I leave them on all the time when headlights are on.

Also, blew a radiator hose last week. But given the mileage, still very few problems. Also had an activator go out on driver's side door (power lock issue).

Still gettng about 24mpg, and very happy with my Azzy.
    We have a 07 Azera and the OEM Michelins are just horrible. The road noise is excessive and the tires were out of safe useage by 20 K. We do not drive the car hard and were very surprised how quick they wore out. What are you using for replacement tires. We would like something that is a lot more quiet running than the originals.
    Regarding our driving light our front right one burnt out in the first 2K and had it replaced. No problems with the headlights though.
  • jamazerajamazera Member Posts: 149
    A lot are going to General Altimax; I have Yoko Envigor high performance summer tires on my '06....Got about 35K on the Michelins; had a four wheel alignment and all 4 wheels were out.....I'm very particular with the car and do not hit pot holes or curbs....Michelins were "chopped" due to the alignment problem...excessive wear on only one of the tread bands.....Many have had good results with the Altimax tires. Yoko's have been very good.....No strut problems on this car...Tire Rack has some good deals....
    Thank you. We had to have all four shocks replaced at 7 K as driving the car over any rise or change in elevation and it was like driving a 60's boat. It helped but the struts still make noise at low speed. We are taking it back in for another inspection as the noise drives you crazy in parking lots or entering any driveway.
    Will check tire Rack for the tires as these Michelins are done.
  • sonazsonaz Member Posts: 6
    You mention low speed noise - the symptom I was noticing occurred in parking lots where the car could pitch from side to side on the uneven surface. There was no issue going over bumps at speed.

I had the left strut housing replaced under warantee about a year ago. Now the right one is chattering/squeaking or whatever the noise is. About to be replaced under warantee as well.
    Still have some vibration issues at 45mph and up.
  • phmusicphmusic Member Posts: 5
    Hi just wondering how much it cost to fix the door lock. My '07 driver side door lock began to have trouble today. You can lock it with the key but it won't lock or open if using the remote.
  • jamazerajamazera Member Posts: 149
    try a new battery for the remote first
    Do the other functions of the remote work? Do the other doors lock and unlock? How about the panic alarm? If those things work, it's probably not the remote battery: could be the driver door lock actuator or its wiring.
    The dealer replaced the latch assembly (under warranty for me) owing to the same symptoms; driver's door not responding to remote, all other doors working, manual key worked. My driver's door would unlock with the remote, but usually wouldn't lock...
  • 29tomt29tomt Member Posts: 12
    Is there an issue with the plugs seizing if left in that long?
    i don't have a clue.
    Was in the garage last night and periodically the lights would flash and car would beep. This morning car was locked.
    You are likely accidently depressing the key fob remote buttons in your pocket. I removed the key fob and hang it from my belt with a small carabiner clip. While I still carried the fob in my pocket I accidently activated the car panic alarm while I knelt by the front bumper... :surprise:
  • ratledgeratledge Member Posts: 233
    Lights flashing and beep always indicates the lock engaged. There is a mostly undocumented feature that automatically locks the car 30 seconds after you unlock it with the keyfob - if no doors or the trunk is opened. As 'gamleged' said - it's WAY too easy to push the buttons with the fob in your pocket. That makes it a good thing that accidentally unlocking it results in it relocking itself in 30 seconds. :shades: This particular locking mechanism works a lot further away than most cars do: I've been known to accidentally set off the alarm "Panic mode" when I was on the 3rd floor of my house, even though the car is parked on "level 0" below the main floor (it's a beach-house)...