Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture Starting/Stalling/Idle Issues

Comments

• carcrazy43carcrazy43 Member Posts: 3
    Hi I'm new here I have a 99 venture van, We were going down the road and it died. I had it towed home. I frist checked moge and was good replaced the coils. Got plenty of fire. But no fuel if you squirt fuel in the intake it will run until fuel runs out. I've replaced the Fuel Pump and relay and still the pump won't kick on also replaced the fuel filter. With no luck I'm stumped any Ideals anyone. Thx alot David :sick:
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    Hi,

I don't know what a "moge" is, but I'm glad you checked it. :)

Here's something to look at:

If you follow the wires back from the fuel pump, they go to a Pass-thru connector under the drivers seat - this connector has been known to get corroded and fail and make techs think the fuel pump/relay was bad - pull it open and make sure that everything is Ok in there...
    The Electronic Module under the coils. Is this pass thru under the fan or under the drivers seat in the cab, And what would i be looking for as far as checking it to be ok. Also will it come up on a code if bad. Thx alot for your help, Its much appericated.
    Got it, never heard it called a "moge" before.

Follow the wires back from the fuel pump and they'll run along the drivers side. You'll see a connector underneath the car, approximately under the drivers seat, maybe just a little back, access it while you're laying underneath the van...its there...pull the plug out and check the contacts, look for corrosion or damage or water infiltration. Its there where the wires "pass through" into the cabin and head forward. Check this connector and check it on the inside of the cabin too. I don't believe there's a code for when the fuel pump isn't getting the 12V it needs to run.

Good Luck,

John :shades:
    Thx for the info, I ran the wires from the engine dept, I have no fire back to the box. I unplugged the connector from the box an the lead to the eng dept is dead. I chased the wires up to the eng there are some bad spots on the conduit but no break's in the wire's it self. That I could see. I did get a code for a cam sensor. I know it will stop fuel to the injector, But will it stop fire to the pump itself. The book dosent really say. Thx for all your help. David :confuse:
    Here's a thought - if the injectors aren't firing then you have no pressure loss in the fuel rail - I believe this will shut off the fuel pump. Just like when you 1st turn the key and the fuel pump runs for a couple of seconds and then shuts off. Use the book and follow the instructions for checking the camshaft position sensor - if you need, I'll post how to check it....let me know how I can help....
  • OzAkman03OzAkman03 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 Chevy Venture, 93,000 miles on it. I bought it used and it is in good condition about a year ago, with 80K miles on it. Every once in a while, when I turn the key, which the car always starts very well, and when I let go of the key, the starter or the ignition keeps on turning. I brought it to my mechanic, and he did witness this himself also, and said that the computer may need recalibrating. He said that in these cars there is a chip in the key and this may be the cause of the problem.

The above description happens very randomly, can never tell when it is going to happen. I could be running the car, stop for something, and restart the car, and it happens, I don't really think it happens in the mornings when I first start it however.

Does anyone ever have the same problem? I can't find anything online anywhere about this.
  • sabrina306sabrina306 Member Posts: 2
    Our 2000 Venture died Monday . I tried to start it and it would not start i could not even up the door with the electric key opener

So, we replaced the battery and it started right up. Left it sit the other night and now it wont start again.

Been dead for two days, This morning brother in laws came to give us a boost now it starts. what could the problem be. I see a lot of people posting questions about this and no one replying with an answer

Any ideas where to go from here?? Thanks so much.
  • judomomjudomom Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Venture stalls sometimes when I brake for to slow down for a turn or to make a stop. As well, it sometimes stalls when I am in park. It only seems to happen when it is a little damp. It will keep doing this until I stop and turn it off for awhile. I have had it to my mechanic and they have checked for codes but not found anything. I have also taken the mechanic out for a drive when it has happened and of course, it didn't happen (however, I did turn it off to go in and get him). He is suspecting that there is a vacuum leak in the brake booster, but until he can see it happening he is hesitant to do anything because it is a costly repair. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • bintybinty Member Posts: 1
    This problem is exactly what is happening with my 03 Venture. No codes come up, taken it to the garage and they said they didn't know what it was but gave me a tune up. Didn't do it during winter, seems only when it's warm out. Did you get any answers or figure out what the problem was? This is really getting on my nerves, I can't shut my van off because i may not be able to start it again. Have had it towed 4 times now. If it's left to cool off for a couple of hours it starts back up. Clueless.
    Any input would help. Thanks
  • cheeze74cheeze74 Member Posts: 30
    I have a 98 Venture with 114,000 miles and have had a problem with hard starts when warm for well over a year. I've had to local garage and dealer and they tell me they can find nothing wrong. The fuel filter has been replaced but no change. It starts hard about 80 to 90% of the time when warm. Starts great when cold. Have to crank and crank and whe it does start I have to play with the accelerator to start. Then sometimes it idles up and comes down. If I don't play with the accelerator it will start and stall. Any ideas? I see some other have had similar situation and mentioned crank position sensor(s). Thought I might find someone with similar problem and have a solution.
    Most likely the crankshaft position sensor just like you stated - all too common on GM V6 engines - the no starting when the engine is hot is the classic symptom.

Good Luck

:shades:
  • kerrick1kerrick1 Member Posts: 4
    I had this problem last summer and that was how I had found this site. My 2003 Venture was at the shop for 3 weeks and they couldn't figure it out either. We finally had it towed to a dealer(after diagnostic tests and a new ignition switch on the column.) The dealer figured it out quickly and it has been fine ever since. The problem on mine was that the wire harness dropped out of place behind my brake pedal. When I pressed on the brake it would short it out and thus make my vehicle stall. It was mind boggling as it would stall only when I was coming to a stop or getting ready to make a turn. Hope this helps someone! In the end the actual repair for the brake harness/wire was about $170.00.
    Thanks for the reply, I understand there are two different crankshaft position sensors. Can you teel me which one is usually the culprit? Thanks!
  • raldridgeraldridge Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: 1999 Chevy Venture starts good runs good! make a right turn and it will stall.each time you make the right turn.After the van gets hot Stalling/Idle Issues.108K miles
    Crankshaft position sensor would be my 1st guess - there are 2 - its most likely the 24X sensor which is located behind the crankshaft pulley
    Sorry for the late reply - I didn't realize that you had an additional question - hopefully you found out the problem already...

Its most likely the 24X sensor which is located behind the crankshaft pulley.

For the record: the other one is the 7X sensor and its located on the rear (firewall side) of the engine.
  • dsventuredsventure Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 99 venture and ran it out of gas a couple of days ago due to a faulty gauge. Towed to a gas station. Filled up, ran some errands and returned home after the fill-up. The following day it would crank but not start. Today, after sitting for a day it almost sputtered to a start but quickly died. Same thing now.....will crank but not start. Anyone have any clues as to where I need to look first? Maybe a fuel pump has finally gone out? Don't know. Appreciate any help. thank you
  • chaseschases Member Posts: 41
    Ok, I can't find any of my past posts on this issue...

You need to check the plug located under the drivers seat area under the van for a plug. This plug goes to the fuel pump/guage and some other things too. Check the pins between the two to see if one or more are black like they have been arcing. I went through 4 fuel pumps before I found that plug. Check all your wires leading to the fuel pump for damage while your there.

replace your relay under the hood too. They sometimes get weak. Their cheap.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0fd7d5/21#MSG21
  • shchippykshchippyk Member Posts: 1
    I have 98 Venture that I bought last year but ran very few. Yesterday I was driving on the highway when the engine just stopped. When I turn the key it just makes a ''click'' noise but it wont turn at all. The other electrical parts (lights, cental locking, etc...) work fine. I even put in a new battery and it does exactly the same thing. Can anyone help me? Thanks!
  • hardlydrivenhardlydriven Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem on a 2000 model. we have been down for about 2 weeks now. Just makes a clicking sound in the steering column. Put a new starter on, checked all fuses and relays and the battery. Still got nothing
  • jkbl0411jkbl0411 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 99 Venture and for about the last six months or so we have had the stalling problem. If we use the cruise control and then exit the interstate and come to a stop the engine wants to, (and will) stall. If the van is shifted into neutral and given enough gas to low rev the engine a few times, it will stay running. If the cruise isn't used, no stalling problem at the red light. We have used some fuel injector cleaner but it isn't doing the trick.
    Thanks in advance for your time.
  • fabulous81fabulous81 Member Posts: 1
    i recently got a 2000 venture driving down road it died waited 5 min n it started drive 5 miles died again started bout a min after out gas treatment in it ran fine next day tried to stall changed fuel filter. ran fine for a day then wouldn't start after i switched it off waited 5 min n it started drive 15 miles n it would net crank again stayed that way over nite, ,next day cranks uo and drives fine. . sometimes cant hear f pump any suggestions relays click when try to start :sick:
  • mtb57mtb57 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Ventra that is hard to start once it is warm and stalls when at idle. The fuel injectors have been cleaned and the fuel pump was changed. Neither resolved the problem. The garage said there weren't any error codes on the onboard computer and did not have a solution. The van has 144k miles. Has anybody had this problem and successfuly resolved it?
  • towheelietowheelie Member Posts: 3
    How is this learning procedure completed? I have changed both my csp sensors and my van is still messing up a little bit. I'm hoping this learning procedure fixes it.
  • toolbustoolbus Member Posts: 1
    found out after weeks of work stalling and no idle after warm up was caused by partly bad egr valve and 02 sensor egr let some air by to keep engine running when cold and o2 sensor would stop working when warmed up coolant and extra fuel caused by bad intake gasket killed 02 sensor
  • srashsrash Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2001 Chevy Venture from a family member. This family member is very reliable and has had no problems with the van in the last two years. I bought the van on Tuesday. Drove it to work on Wednesday and it has given me problems every since. I can not get it started, I have tried charging the battery. If I jump the battery it will start, but when I turn it off not start again. When I try to start the vehicle it acts like it is going to start but than all lights go off and the "check engine light" comes on. One time when I got it started the "Security" light came on. Any and all answers will be appreciated. :cry:
    I would check the battery terminals to make sure they are clean. If that is not the problem then possibly the battery has gone bad. You can always take it to your local Advance auto parts or Wal Mart to have battery tested. Hope this helps.
  • ajsautoajsauto Member Posts: 1
    Van has a # 1 cylinder misfire code.Just had the head gaskets done and a complete tune up.
  • kcamp0118kcamp0118 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Venture with 82,000 miles, which the engine randomly cuts out while driving. When it happens, I can pull over, and re-start with no problem. It does not happen every day, and has no check enjine light or anything come on. All that comes on is the battery light when it dies, and you lose power. Once even, it cut out and then cut back on before I pulled over. I have brought the vehicle in to two different mechanics, who say they do not know what to do with it. They say the computer shows no problems. We have put a fuel cleaner in it, and thought we may have fixed the problem until it happened again yesterday. I am afriad to put my family back in, and feel like we are 4 weeks into this and have gone nowhere. Can anyone help with ideas?
    Fuel pump relay failing shutting down fuel and causing the stall??? Can't hurt to replace it - should be a fairly inexpensive part...
  • robfred1robfred1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 venture, I replaced the lower intake manifold gasket about 2 weeks ago. after I did this the van had some trouble starting, It would turn over very slow, but then it would start. now it will not even turn over. the lights all work and nevr even dim, the starter relay closes and the doors all lock but then the starter never even tries to kick out the bendex. Wires all look good, and I have power at the starter, but I am not sure how to check the control circuit for it. I took the starter in and had it bench tested, they say it is good. Where do I look next?
    I am having the same problem right now, starter benchtested just fine, but wehn I try to start it nothing happens. Fuel pump kicks on, all cabin lights work but when it is time for the starter to engage, all I get is a click inside the cabin. Did you ever get it solved?
    Same problem as you, did you ever solve it?
  • blazin3blazin3 Member Posts: 3
    the loud clicking are the clutches in the compressor engaging and disengaging the compressor (charging system) in the HVAC system. It is low on freon and causing the pressure switch to flutter (causing banging noise). Also causing the engine to run rough. Imagine the serpentine belt running smoothly (ac off) then getting smashed by the compressor engaging (stops the belt fraction of a mil/sec.) causing rough idle. #5 relay switch is only turned on when the HVAC is running. the switch makes the fans pull more air through the condenser/radiator. so it will only work when AC is running.
    Fix: have the high and low checked on the HVAC system. if low then a leak is somewhere in the charging system. find leak and fix, also have the radiator and condenser cleaned of rocks and bugs, have fins straightened on radiator and condenser (maintain air passage).

matt: Mechanical engineer #88
    edited September 2010
    change the alternator. which requires dropping the engine or taking the intake off. the alternator isnt charging the battery and on a full charge of a new battery will run a fuel injected engine for 3 hours of solid driving or maybe a full day of occasional driving. the clicking is the starter solenoid hitting on and off (low battery charge). what u might of heard running is the fan motor (air vents), so not to worry. i would change the alternator to keep the battery from draining.

matt: mechanical engineer #88
    have u tried a new ignition switch.

matt: mechanical engineer #88
    I have a 2000 chevy venture, I changed the head gaskets last week engine starts fine and runs well for about 20 miles. I keep getting codes P0101, P0102, P0301 and last night P0171. my fuel economy is way down does this sound like a MAF sensor problem or is that just a symptom? HELP ME, Please. I know just enough about cars to be dangerous...
  • towheelietowheelie Member Posts: 3
    Problem..... I have changed both crank shaft position sensors, have had a relearn procedure done, cleared the codes for the sensor errors and have cleaned the wiring connection under the drivers seat under the van.. I still get the error codes and the van will not always start once I get the code (0336). The sensor tells the fuel pump to come on/off, so I am getting no fuel, but only sometimes.

New alternator, fuel filter, battery. Runs perfect when it does run.

I noticed that just as the van gets to operating temp there is a very small but noticeable hick-up (misfire, hesitation) once it reaches that point, but only for a moment.

Any Ideas on what the cause and fix might be?
  • milkman31milkman31 Member Posts: 1
    HI all< new to this forum and I was hoping that somebody might be able to help me figure out my HIGH Idle problem on my 2002 Chevy Venture. If you start it and leave it in Park it will have an unusually high idle, this seems to be more aparent when its cold,however it still does it when its warm.. I have 122k on it and since I do most of the Maintenance on it , I should be able to fix it with some guidance and suggestions...
    Thanks
  • tech_1988tech_1988 Member Posts: 1
    i am having the same problem but only mine was a little worse my moms venture started out with a knock with the engine so pulled the valve cover over the back of the 1 3 5 cylinders and the rocker arms pulled out so i he da coiled them back in next i was an injector then a plenum gasket then a Ign. Control Module(ICM) then Crank Postion Sensor(CPS)then wires then fuel filter An idle air control motor(IAC) then a mass air flow senser(MAS) so i went on alldatapro and looked at TSBs for a long time and looked until i came across something very promising it talks about P0101 which has all the things that i change that or tested but one thing i didnt do was check the Powertrain Control Module(PCM) also know as (ECM)engine Control module i tried ask techs from chevy they of course didn't give me the info and i work a shop and for 8years tech experience but who ever reads this let it be know that the dealers are still a crook of [non-permissible content removed] cuz the labor on it is only 1.1hrs and the PCM cost 450 dollars it just and easy way to make money now heres what you do go to the junk yard get a PCM from under a easy compartment located above the air box Two screws and a 7.5mm socket to pull the conecters off then take the old one with you and match the same numbers to the old one it should say something like this SERV.NO.12208644 depending on the number and thats your new PCM if you need re programming for those who dont have a subscibtion to a tech service like alldata or michell or something like that Email me @valoremington@yahoo.com i will send it to you
  • demeopdemeop Member Posts: 7
    just want to share my experience with a 2002 venture. van would always start cold in the morning like a brand new car. then only sometimes after my wife would take one kid to school, park for 40 minutes then go to take the other kid and it would crank, sound like it starts but does not. then crank forever and would not start. wait 15 minutes then maybe it will start. anyway this went on for months intermittently. no codes at all. read a lot about CRANK position sensor but because of learn procedure I did not mess with it without a code. then finally CAM position code popped up. only $30 for part, pain because it is under the power steering pump but changed it and for last 2 weeks it has been starting perfectly. other issues but they can wait for warmer weather.
  • stevie0040stevie0040 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks demeop for sharing your experience. So are you saying you changed the Crank Pos Sensor or the Camshaft position sensor? I'm having similar issues with my '99 Olds Silhouette. Both sensors seem to be a pain to change. But I know I have enough seepage from the engine over the years that could have caused the "easy to start cold, but hard to start warm" problem. Thanks.
  • kmontegnakmontegna Member Posts: 1
    did you ever get your answer to your question? I am having the exact same problem.
  • demeopdemeop Member Posts: 7
    no problem stevie0040, I did only change CAM position as that req's no learn, only plug and play. only issue was pulling the power steering pump out, no big deal just sucks to do all that for (1) screw on the sensor. anyhow still have some funny starts but at least now it DOES start since I changed it. But only did it after I got a code for it, which this was intermittent for over a year. just over 100k now so I do need to do plugs and wires, just afraid of the back (3) plugs. either way it can wait til spring. have you done yours yet?
  • kleachkleach Member Posts: 1
    Hi,in decemeber 2010 i took my 2004 chevey venture to the dealership for an oil change.the advisor told me that my vechicle is due for the 30,000 miles emission service,which prevents the car from rough idling & prevent stalling. i agreed to have it done..the next day my car stalled. i told it back & the drove it around & nothing happend..3 days later it stalled out again..i took it back again..When they drove it around nothing happened..Until this day i still have the same problems..When it starts in the morning i let it warm up,then about 10-15 minutes later it will just shut off.I replace the battery with a die-hard,had the gas filter changed & still the same problem..Took it two another mechanic they drove it around they said the car was running smooth..They gave me a bottle of tune-up to place in the tank when i fuel up again..Did that and a week later while driving, it just shut off.Please help me..Thank You
  • carelesslovecarelesslove Member Posts: 2
    On page 8 of this pdf file, there is a DIY method for the crankshaft position relearn procedure.

http://www.bsecorp.com/files/techtips/ST9303l.pdf
  • carelesslovecarelesslove Member Posts: 2
    Code 0336 is crankshaft position system variation not learned. When the system is reprogrammed, the code goes away. Need I say more?
  • srulizsruliz Member Posts: 7
    did you ever figure out your problem. i am having the same issue with my 2001 Chevy Venture - High idle
  • azuazu Member Posts: 84
    I had high idle on my 99. I cleaned throttle body, which was dirty and gummed up and problem went away.