Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Commander Start Stall and Idle Problems

Comments

• jbeck22jbeck22 Member Posts: 1
    I too live in GA and I have a 2006 Jeep Commander with 25000 miles on it. It stalled on me on my way to work one afternoon and all of the lights on the dash came on, the A/C turned off, the RPMs dropped to 0 and started to stutter very badly. I had it towed back to the dealership and the next day they called and said that they updated the software. 3 days later my wife was driving and it stalled twice in the same trip...once she was turning a curve and had to run off the road!! The car is back at the dealership again now. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to qualify my car for the Lemon Law? I will NOT let my wife drive that car again and to be honest...I don't want to drive it anymore either! For you other GA residents...imagine driving down 400 (or any other freeway) going about 75 -85 MPH (which is the norm here) and have this car stall...could you imagine what could happen...how many people have to die before Jeep will recall this piece of crap?

Please any help would be much appreciated. I'm looking to dump my Commander ASAP!

Thanks and good luck!
  • teelfamteelfam Member Posts: 3
    As of May 1, 2007 The National Highway Safety Administration has opened a preliminary investigation that could lead to the recall of 136,444 Jeep Commanders because the engine stalls unexpectedly.

I have a 2006 Commander which I am leasing, in the past 4 months it has stalled 4 times-all of which were different driving scenarios. I have taken it to my dealership like many of you before and of course they can't duplicate it. I have called around to numerous dealerships like Chrysler suggested and none of them can help me....surprise!!! I am 9 months pregnant with a 2 year old and I am scared to death to drive this car. I contacted Chrysler and they are more than willing to blame the dealership than take responsibility for a dangerous car. I lodged a complaint with the NHTSA and I am waiting on paperwork to start an investigation.

I, like the rest of you are at a loss, until Chrysler admits a problem none of us are going to get a resolve. :mad:
  • jenh1jenh1 Member Posts: 21
    I called the Governer's Office of Consumer Affairs and spoke with the nicest guy. Here is a link:

http://consumer.georgia.gov/00/channel_title/0,2094,5426814_39105738,00.html

Print out the Additional Lemon Law Forms. It is very simple and easy to understand. We just got a copy of our vehicle history printed out from Ed Voyles and are getting ready to start compiling the information. (How many times it was in for each thing.) I spoke with a really nice guy names Eric and the office of consumer affairs. I will keep everyone posted. Hope that helps. I can't believe that the national highway safety people still haven't recalled it with that many people calling and complaining.
  • rbyersrbyers Member Posts: 4
    I have had the same issue with my Jeep. The Jeep just shuts down. Like you, I take the Jeep in to the dealership only to be told they have been unable to duplicate the problem. The last few times I have been able to predict when it is subject to shut down. A couple of days before the shut down, the Jeep will get a little skip/sluggish while traveling in slow traffic once this starts it is just a matter of time before the shut down
  • lrookslrooks Member Posts: 2
    I love the look of my Commander, but I am having many problems with it that seem minor until I get killed!
    My problems:

-Car stalls when turning or slowing down - turning left in front of traffic is a gamble!
    -There is a high-pitched noise that comes from the right passenger side when on the interstate.
    -The gas tank does not let me fill up past 3/4 of a tank - it kicks off and won't let anything else in. This means that I am filling up all of the time.

I had the car in for the stalling a couple of weeks ago, any my dealership said that this is a problem they are having. I was told it needed a software update, but it stalled again after the update.
  • lrookslrooks Member Posts: 2
    The same thing happens to me. I didn't think about it until you said it. I have noticed that mine will jump for a little while and then it shuts down after this starts. I originally thought I had a loose spark plug or something. I try to do the right thing and buy an American car, but I have never had problems with my Mazdas or Nissans!
    The noise you are talking about is what we call the "whistle" - Jeep knows about it...it has to do with how the window is/isn't sealed and a firewall thing I think. My windshield was replaced twice, but after the second time, it doesn't seem to happen as often and when it does it's barely there. The stalling is not a software update. Have your dealer call Krissy at Ed Voyles Chrysler/Jeep in Marietta, GA. Whatever they did to mine seems to helped the stalling...it has become sluggish again, but it has not cut off since they did whatever it was that they did.
  • lemon06lemon06 Member Posts: 14
    Hello. I purchased my Jeep Commander 4x4 in 06 new. Just before the first maintenace was scheduled it shut off on me from the parking lot to the stop sign. I now have 16,000 miles and it has shut off on me a total of 5 times. The factory radio was defective (cd player didn't play) and I waited 7 weeks for a new one. Last week the truck shut off again after five hours from me picking it up from the dealer. Heritage Jeep Chrylser in Northern, Va. horrible service reps and GM for new car sales. Rude rude rude. They replaced some software that was supposed to do the trick.

Wrong answer. I took it back that same day dropped it off and it took an act of congress to get it back. They let it sit while they serviced paying customers. They told my fuel injectors were clogged and to take care of that for 163.00 because that could be the problem. This vehicle is a world class lemon. Chrylser doesn't even provide a arbitrator in the state of Va. Thank god Va. has a lemon law that entends to 18 months. I was told by a mechanic at another dealer that Chrslyer is aware of this problem and that he replaced every computer chip in one truck and it still kept shutting off.
    I agree...read through some of other other posts. I would call the National Highway Safety People - apparently they are the only chance we have to getting the things recalled. There are all ready several opened investigations (I believe 197). I also called my state Governors Office of Consumer Affairs. Anyone we can educated about this cars the better.
  • carguy42carguy42 Member Posts: 6
    If your waiting for a recall that will not happen anytime soon i promise you that.The reason being is there has to be a deffective part.We (dealers) dont have any idea what the defective part is there for no recall.What i would do if i were you guys would be call chrysler first 1-800-992-1997.you will get nowhere with that call you might get a cair #/file number which is only good for documentation.Documentation is very important to you guys at this point.the next step is to call the BBB.they come down very hard on dealerships and the Genral manager has 30 days to respond.When they get those BBB letters they will pretty much kiss your butts.And off the record i have been told by chrysler to start replaceing ignition switchs if people come in with this concern i fail to see the logic in this but its something to try. Iwill keep you posted on the results and any new info that come to me .
  • kjones2kjones2 Member Posts: 6
    I filed under the lemon law several months ago and am still waiting to hear from Chrysler. In the meantime, I continue to be saddled with a vehicle that I consider a threat to personal safety. I have been borrowing a vehicle for several months out of fear of driving the commander and it stalling on me in traffic - again. However, I've exhausted the kindness of others and have to start driving the commander again. My biggest concern was getting it stopped and restarted if it went dead on the interstate or other high traffic area. But, the other day my husband and I "practiced" on back roads. We made it turn off and it was pretty simple just to put it into neutral and restart without fighting to get it stopped and out of traffic (which is difficult when you lose power steering and brakes). We also discovered that mine would restart while still in drive (without ever putting it into neutral). From what I understand, this shouldn't happen - but nothing else can surprise me about this pathetic vehicle. It is a shame that I've had to resort to such measures with a new vehicle, but it looks as if getting rid of it will not be easy and we're stuck. Good Luck to you all and do file with the National Transportation and Safety Board if you haven't yet.
  • e741e741 Member Posts: 3
    That is exactly what my dealer did- replaced the ignition switch. No issues thus far after that (about 1k miles later). I have to say it was really comical when I contacted Chrysler. They emailed me and said it looks like your dealer replaced your ignition switch- It is great to know they can confirm that, but I knew that already.

I was looking for a little more in the area of we recognize this is an issue and can confirm this will fix it.
    How did you get your car to stall? What seems to be the problem is that the dealerships can't "duplicate" the stall therefore can't fix the problem. If you say that you were able to get it to stall on your own we may have a glimmer of hope in getting this problem resolved. Now as far as Chrysler, they are a waste-even after two complaints all they can say is sorry. Sorry isn't going to help when either myself or my family is killed. I did file with the NHTSA and I am waiting on paperwork to start an official investigation on my car and after reading the other report will file with the Better Business Bureau. Good Luck All!
    sorry if my wording was confusing - we made the Jeep go dead by turning the key to the left (just not all the way off); my husband was just trying to show me that instead of freaking out when it stalled, I should just put it into neutral and restart - I had thought I had to get it completely stopped, etc. before I could restart
  • formulaveeformulavee Member Posts: 14
    Is this stalling problem only on the 2006's or is it rpesent in 2007's as well. I Ask because I am considering buying one for my wife and 15 mo old daughter. However, if this is wide spread in the 2007 model year, I don't want to take the chance.

Thanks.
    I believe it is on both the 2006 and 2007 from what I am reading. If I were you I would NOT consider buying this vehicle, especially with a little one in the back seat. Although pretty this car is not worth the risk.
  • joannaantonjoannaanton Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Jeep Commander has been giving me nothing but SCARRY situations. It dies when I'm driving it. I've had the vehicle for 2 years and I've taken it in almost every month since I leased it. My hearing with Chrysler and the Texas Department of Transportation is tomorrow. Have any of you had your hearings? If so, how did it go?
  • dashriprock001dashriprock001 Member Posts: 1
    I had my jeep commander stall on me yesterday. I had just returned to Houston on a long trip and was driving on a about 45 miles an hour when the engine shut down on me. I lost my power steering, power brakes, etc. I only have 3200 miles on my brand new 2007 Jeep Commander. It would not restart and I had to have it towed back to the Helfman River Oaks dealership where I bought it. They looked it over today and said that it was a bad fuel pump. I am not sure how a fuel pump can go bad after 3200 miles. I am concerned about this and, after reading some of these posts, I am worried that it is something else. Has anyone else had a bad fuel pump with a new Commander? It seems as if Jeep has put quality on the back burner for now.
    I have not gotten to that point yet - mine is going back in the shop and then we will actually file. Please keep us posted and let us know how it turns out. From what I'm reading on the Lemon Law papers, even if it's a favorable outcome, you still lose. If you do the math, based on the miledge, whether you trade in for another or have them repurchase it, you still get screwed. I'll say this...I will NEVER again purchase another American made car. I hate to be unpatriotic, but I this is a HUGE pain in the neck. I am about 30 minutes from the Jeep dealership and have two kids. They won't give us a loaner anymore, so I am just out of a car when they have to fix it. I have always had Toyotas or Hondas and never had this type of situation. Again, please keep up posted! I would have them extend your warranty through the life of the loan and have it written in that you get a loaner anytime they have - financially, that is your best bet if you were in a loan agreement. I'm not sure what the best option is for a lease...
  • erin22erin22 Member Posts: 2
    We recently purchased a used 06 Jeep Commander about six weeks ago. While driving the car completely stalled, I lost all breaks and power steering. I almost drove straight into the front of a house before quicly through the car into neutral and restarted. I could have been killed if driven on the highway at speeds of 70mph. Thank God i was on a side street going about 30mph. The car is currently at the dealership. They have put on a recording device to recapture the stall as no codes were saved when the car stalled out while I was driving it...Basically I have been told that Chrysler had a multidiciplinary taskforce working on the stalling problem, but there is no fix. So now I am sitting on a car which we owe a ton of money on and afraid to drive my family in it.....Any other stories of this same problem and if you found a solution! :lemon:
  • bassman8bassman8 Member Posts: 14
    Sorry to say that what you describe could not possibly have happened. You never lose brakes and steering, they may be harder to push or steer but they're never gone. If you had time to throw the car in neutral and restart it before crashing through the front of a house, you certainly had time to push on the brakes! Stalling doesn't cause a vehicle to go out of control. Maybe you should consider giving up your license and going to mass transit.
  • rbyersrbyers Member Posts: 4
    The dealership where I purchased my 2006 Commander gave up on trying to duplicate/fix the stalling problem. They called the service center at Benchmark Chrysler Jeep in Birmingham. From what I understand, when Benchmark ran my VIN through their computer system it was noted as needing a software upgrade. I took the Jeep in on August 13, 2007 for the upgrade. Good news....knock on wood..the jeep has not stalled yet. I am not sure how this works but here is the number to Benchmark 205-957-1313.
    By the way, The dealership in which had purchased the Jeep had indicated that they had loaded the software upgrade. My guess is that their upgrade did not work.
  • eucnobleeucnoble Member Posts: 4
    Have owned this vehicle for alomost two months. It only has 2,145 miles on it.

First time it shut down did not think much of it. It also happened when my wife was driving the car and she did not think anything of it and we never made the connection. Yesterday it happened again, twice, both on my way to a soccer game with my wife and two children and then on my way back. On the way there I was turning left after stopping at a stop light in front of oncoming traffic. The engine shutdown and all power steering and power brakes were lost. The car coasted into the turn and down a slight incline. I was able to muscle the car to the side of the road and slowly stop as I pulled over to the curb. Put the car into park and was able to restart. On the way back from the soccer game I was accelerating after stopping at a traffic light and the vehicle shut down completely. This time as the car was coasting to a stop, and cars behind me were honking, I shifted into neutral and was able to restart the car.

Called a Jeep delaership today and took the car in tonight. When I explained the problem to them, they did not acknowledge that this is an issue with these vehicles. Will see what they say tomorrow but the postings on this board have certainly confirmed that there is a problem with this vehicle. I also called NHTSA and reported the problem as a potential tragedy waiting to happen.

It is incredulous to me that these vehicles are even being allowed to be sold. The good news is that the more people speak up about this problem the greater the likelihood that the word will get out and hopefully sales of this car will come to a halt. In the meantime, it is completely irresponsible on the part of Chrysler/Jeep to be selling them.
  • cbestbabycbestbaby Member Posts: 1
    I wish i had known all this...
    My husband is currently about halfway through an 18 month deployment with the US army to the middle east. He was home for two weeks in september and we purchased an '06 Commander, used, for a great price and were THRILLED...at first. we hadn't had the car for a week before the first stall...we thought it was something WE did, like bump it out of drive or hit the keys and didn't think anything of it. Less than a week later, driving 65mph down the highway it turned off again!! and the transmission light came on...hubby put it in neutral and got it started again but i was flipping out! i made him pull of and take it to the nearest dealer which was less than two miles from where we were. it was hooked up to the diagnostics and the guy told us the computer said it was some freak accident where our onboard system read a weird barometric pressure and shut the car off because of it...whatever the heck that meant. I was skeptical, but the car seemed fine after that.
    last week i was driving home late at night from about 3 hours out of town...after about 2 hours of driving my headlights started flickering...it increased in frequency and duration the whole last hour and became increasingly difficult to keep on...thankfully i made it home before the completely died. i haven't driven in the dark since.
    two days ago i was on the last few minutes of a six hour drive to see relatives and i was sitting in traffic and just starting to move and THE CAR DIED AGAIN!! i had NO STEERING and NO BRAKES and i almost got rear ended. I was TERRIFIED!!! i couldnn't get it to resart for about a minute. this time i knew it wasn't anything i did or some stupid "barometric pressure freak incident" and started doing my research...
    how the hell can they sell this car to people?!?!?! i have two toddlers and i'm TERRIFIED to put them back in this car.! We are a military family, we have limited funds, and we sunk all our savings in to buying this car! My husband is overseas and the car just rolled over 36,000 so is oout of warranty.
    i don't know what to do. i've lodged a complaint with the NHTSA and Chrysler and as soon as i get enough money to take it to the dealer, I'm going to do that too, but it doesn't seem like anyone really knows how to fix the problem, so i feel like its pointless.
    I'm also planning on contacting some of my lawyer friends and see what i can get done.
    i'm angry, i'm so angry that i put so much of my husbands hard earned $$$ into this vehicle and i'm scared to drive it. My husband thought he was buying us a SAFER car and its worse than what we had (which is VERY hard to do). I don't even want to tell himm because i don't want him to have to worry about that while he's getting shot at everyday.
    this whole situation makes me LIVID
    sorry, i just had to vent. does anyone know if this problem is only with the 06 models or are the 07's just as bad? which "fix" is the most effective? what the heck should i do with this thing?
    thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    the car just rolled over 36,000 so is oout of warranty.

Not necessarily! You brought the problem to the attention of a dealer while the car was still under warranty. They failed to fix the problem and the problem continues. You may still be covered by that warranty.

Good luck!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • erin22erin22 Member Posts: 2
    I am so sorry you went through this!!!!I truly believe Chrysler needs to take all the 06 Jeep Commanders off the road. There is a design flaw in this car and somebody is going to get very hurt or worse. My husband and I bought a used 06 Jeep Commander in July of this year. Just as you and your husband did, we found a great deal on a used one. We were so excited! However, that quickly turned to anger and disgust with a flawed car that we were sold. We now have a car that I am afraid to put my children in and won't drive. While driving at 40mph the car just stalled/died and I lost my breaks and steering capability. I had my children in the car and I was TERRIFIED, just as you were!!!!! It happened again a few weeks later. The jeep dealership had a Chrysler engineer come down and run a diagnostic test and they replaced the ignition switch, but I was told that they can't guarentee the stalling will stop. The dealership acted like I was this ignorant woman, they kept telling me they are going to keep the car and put a recording device on it to recreate the stall. Of course it never happened during the two weeks they had my car. I will tell you my husband and I have come to find out their is an ongoing investigation called an Engineering Analysis on all 06 Jeep Commanders. We found this out after we filed a complaint with the NHTSA. Also filed one with Chrysler, but they neglected to tell me they have an investigation ongoing regarding the stalling issue.. Real nice Chrysler! Go to the NHTSA website and you can find the monthly defect investigations reports... The jeep Commanders investigation is EA07-007 for you guessed it ENGINE STALL the investigation was opened on April 27,2007 and is still ongoing.....and of course Chrysler is still selling these cars to innocent people. Here is what the investigation reads. The office of Department of Investigations ODI has received 76 vehicle owner complaints alleging incidents of engine stall while driving in model year 2006 through 2007 jeep commanders. Some of the complaints reported one or more incidents of engine stall with a simultaneous loss of some or all lightining systems, including headlamps. Two engine stalls resulted in vehicle crash. In its response to a request for information, Daimlerchyrsler indicated that it has NOT determined the cause of engine stalling in the subject vehicles and that it has formed a multi-discplinary task force to investigate the issue. An engineering analysis has been opened to further assess the frequency, scop and potential safety consequences of the alledged defect.}}}}}}} Ok so with that Chrysler has no idea how to fix this prblem yet these dealerships are coming up with these off the wall excuseds just as you said "barometric pressure freak incident". I was told what happened was an "onamally". Then we were told the stall happened because of carbon build up on the engine, then we were told my knee probably hit the keys and caused and electrical circuit...finally they brought in the engineer and they switched out the ignition switch, but all in all the car is not fixed and yet even though Chrysler knows this horrible problem exists which they currently have no fix for....they are still selling these cars used!!!! This has been one of the worst experiences of our lives. I hope that you are able to find resolution to the problem and I thank your husband for his service to our country! My brother in law just got back six months ago from Iraq. He was there for 18 months.
    Its not just the '06s. I bought my '07 towards the end of July '07. Its truly is irresponsible and incomprehensible that Chrysler is still selling these vehicles or that there has not been a recall. My guess is that the actuaries have calculated that it will be cheaper to defend a lawsuit than it would be to stop selling and/or recall the cars. They realy don't care whether someone dies.
  • akennedyakennedy Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2006 commander 5.7 Hemi that started stalling..we almost got in a couple of accidents...we printed off stories from this message board and took it to our dealership in Riverside, CA. They replaced the MAP sensor and we haven't had any stalling problems like that since.
    My '07 is a Jeep Commander Sport 4X4 with a 3.7L engine. The dealer I took it to told me they were not aware of any problems with the Commanders and that they do not know what is causing it. Once I explained to them that the NHTSA was investigating the problem they offered to look into it further but said they would need the car for a couple of days. Didn't help.
  • csamos2csamos2 Member Posts: 3
    Well, I was pulling out of the dealership after picking my Commander up from having them work on my stalling issue. The dealership could not duplicate the problem (for the second time). And sure enough, as i drove out into traffic and attempted to make a left hand u-turn, the thing stalled on me. Absolutely uncanny. Me and my service rep (who has been excellent throughout the process) even joked that as soon as I drove off, the vehicle would stall. I love the Jeep, but it replaced an Acura MDX which had no problems during the 4 years we owned it. I dont want these kinds of issues in a brand new car.
  • swingoswingo Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what is causing the jeep to stall. mine is doing the same thing and its going to the shop on MOnday .
    Hello. I have since passed what your currently starting. I sent Chrysler a formal complaint with copies of my engine stalls ( five to be exact) in the state of Va. you only need three. I gave Chrysler 30 days to respond to my request of a buy back. They never responded. I know they received my package because it was sent certified mail. I have since put the Agricultural Consumer Affairs on this case. I was sent a letter from Consumer Affairs that was a copy that they sent to Chrysler giving them seven business days in which to respond. Its been 8 business days and I haven't heard a thing. I think its time for a class action law suit against Chrysler. Please all consider this option. Chrysler is dumping this garbage off to consumers at alarming low prices. Consumers are getting all kinds of discounts and think they're getting a deal. I never thought to report this to the National Highway Commission. I was told by a mechanic for Chrysler that Chrysler is aware of the problem with the engine stalls but have no idea what's causing it. He further stated that he replaced the entire computer board in a truck and that didn't do the trick. He also added that a woman took Chrysler to court for this problem and she lost because she couldn't afford to appeal the case. She lost because the lawyers for Chrysler convinced the judge and or jury that she was bumping the key causing the truck to shut off. This is what we're dealing with people. Chrysler does not partake in the BBB Auto line. Chrysler does not provide a mediator to help you the consumer to negotiate a mutual agreement with their company. I was also told by this mechanic that Mopar made Chrysler do an investigation on their parts. Everything the service department does it at a guess. And the dealers will tell you that they never heard of this problem. B.S. I will keep you all posted as to what happens with my case. One last thing. I was listening to a local all news/weather station a week ago and they reported Chrysler is going through financial hardship. Go figure.
    I replied in message 131 that when our dealership replaced our MAP sensor and reflashed the computer in our 06 Jeep Commander the stalling, and I'm talking about complete freezing of everything...couldn't turn the steering wheel, brakes wouldn't work, etc., was fixed....this has been over a year and it hasn't happened again....has anybody asked their dealership about this?? Our dealership is in Riverside, CA....Has anyone tried this fix??? :confuse:
    Good luck with it - but don't expect Chrysler to respond with any integrity. Mine, too, had met the requirements for lemon law (stalled and went to shop 6 separate times; the first 7 months, it was in the shop almost 2 months total; 3 out of 7 seatbelts replaced, etc.) I went through a consumer protection lawyer in Atlanta (I live in MS) and after a 4 month delay (Chrysler legal dept couldn't locate my file), we settled with a measly cash payment and kept the vehicle. They would not buy it back although I had over 30 pages of documentation. I think their loophole was the dealer "couldn't duplicate the problem on demand". I did file with the NTSB and they and Chrysler have launched an investigation but I haven't seen anything else about it. We took a significant financial loss, but I couldn't keep putting my kids in that vehicle and worrying about it stalling. Hard lesson learned. Wish you all the best with your case.
    Thanks for that information. I to have retained an attorney to help with this issue. I did question about the can't duplicate the problem. That is on one of my papers from the dealer. I see this is what Chrysler is using to get around how many times you sent the car in for repairs. They don't consider that a repair because nothing was done. Wonder how they see it that way. Obviously, they tried to do something. I can't state enough about a class action lawsuit or call your local television stations and put them on air. They can't get away with selling crap to consumers. You mentioned a measly settlement. What did that consist of? Not asking for dollar amounts just wondering if they paid you back for repairs.
    Would you mind sharing the name of the Atlanta attorney who dealt with them for you? I live in Atlanta (my husbands family is all from MS) - We are getting ready to try and trade it in because this has been such a mess. The Lemon Law really does not protect the consumer - especially when the consumer continues to drive the car in good faith hoping the dealership will fix it. We figured it would cost us about $8000 to get out with the L.L. What did you end up doing with your car? You can e-mail me directly at jenptsa@earthlink.net. Thanks!
    Mine was still under warranty and I didn't incur any repair fees - just kept taking it back to the dealer. The payment was about 1/6 of the MSRP
  • csamos2csamos2 Member Posts: 3
    You live in VA, correct? I do and was wondering what lawyer you went with. I can't believe Chrysler pulled a 4 month delay and still wouldnt buy the vehicle back. I have read that inability to duplicate the problem does not absolve them from a potential lemon issue. Does anyone know if this is true?
  • mofacesmofaces Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 commander 3.7 liter, and although I have had the issue with the leaks in the sunroof, took it in twice to be fixed.(they say debris gets in the drain hoses) not problems at all outside that.. I have never had a stalling issue, although now I am afraid I might. I have 17000 miles on the vehicle. Is is a problem with the V6's or the v9's and the hemis. Should I be worried thatt the problem will start?
    I hate the gas milage on the car but it really drives nicely. I hope I am the exception.
  • greanbeangreanbean Member Posts: 3
    On three random occasions during the month of October, I experienced power loss while driving my 2006 Jeep Commander, 4x4 Hemi.

The first time this occurred, I had taken a trip to the grocery store -- I turned the ignition to start the Jeep and it didn't kick over right away, all the warning lights lit up simultaneously, then randomly and at varying lengths of time went out. I thought "oh, no my battery's going!" but realized that some of the dash lights and the radio were turning on and off. So, I turned the ignition off and waited about 2 minutes, then I started the Jeep again. It started and everything seemed OK (except the airbag light remained on) so I decided to drive home. As I was pulling out of the parking lot onto the main road, the dashboard lit up again, flashing on and off as before, and then a clunk-jerk -- no power steering, no power brakes, lights still going crazy. Luckily I was going quite slow and there wasn't much traffic, so I was able to coast into a parking lot on the other side of the road and stop in a parking spot, where I turned off the ignition. This time, I waited 5 minutes, it started and I made it home without incident (airbag light still lingered for a while). While this experience was a bit unnerving, I'd hoped it was a "computer hiccup" that wouldn't occur again.

Sadly, I was wrong, about two and a half weeks later, as I was leaving my house (so I was going slow) the dashboard started the same flashing routine as before. I shut the Jeep off immediately, waited about 2 minutes and re-started. No further problems but the airbag light lingered a few minutes as before.

The third incident was the day I brought it in for service (October 29th). I was driving along the main road about 40 mhp on a straight smooth section when all the warning lights began flashing on/off (oh, no!). Only a third mile from my home, at the first opportunity I turned off the main road and kept driving slowly to my garage. I made it there without losing the steering/brakes, lights flashing the whole way.

I no longer feel safe driving this vehicle. The whole idea of possibly losing my power steering/brakes while driving fast is very dangerous and puts my family and others on the road in harms way.

The vehicle was purchased from Desert Jeep in Las Vegas. It has been there 3 times for service (list of inconveniences) and the service has been lousy at best.
    This being an important safety issue, I decided to take it to a family run dealership - Jim Marsh Jeep. The service staff were much more helpful and genuinely seem to care - nevertheless unable to resolve my problem. These incidents did not leave a "code" in the computer and they are unable to re-create the problem, so they don't know what to fix. They called the manufacturer, who took two days to return the call, only to suggest that I remove the other three keys from my keyring because their weight must be causing the highly-sensitive ignition tumbler to toggle to accessory mode.

Uuuuugggghhhhhh. I am not comfortable with this explanation. I am still afraid to drive this vehicle. What should I do? I already sent a complaint to NHTSA. I plan to call Chrysler on Monday.
  • greanbeangreanbean Member Posts: 3
    After a lot of searching around I found the Center for Auto Safety, a Washington DC Consumer Advocate group that appears to work closely with the NHTSA and file a lot of class action lawsuits. I just registered my complaint with them and they ONLY HAVE 5 OTHER Jeep Commander Complaints (unbelievable after reading this forum).

Please, everyone take the time to file a complaint with them and let them know if you're interested in class action: http://www.autosafety.org/fileacomplaint.php
  • kataakekataake Member Posts: 1
    Can any of you get back to me. This has just happened to my husband and me. The dealership has had it for a week and is giving us the same thing. Acting as if this is a new problem, they also had the tech come look at it. Did anyone start a law suit? This is a 2006 Jeep Commander too by the way.
    Please see message # 131 and 136...our stalling problem is fixed....
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    I am an attorney in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I, too, drive a 2006 Commander. I have not yet experienced the stalling issue, although my Jeep has come close on several occasions (sputtering, etc.). It seems that many of you have been getting the "could not duplicate" answer and the "if no codes have been stored, there is nothing we can do" response. From a legal perspective, this is completely unacceptable. If you speak with the service manager of the dealership where you purchased the vehicle, I would be sure to tell them that having been informed of the problem, and knowing that it potentially poses an extreme safety issue, the dealership must be very concerned that should an accident result, the dealership will be held liable for giving you the vehicle back without solving the problem. This should get their attention. If you don't receive resolution from the service manager, start heading up the chain of command. Also, document every instance that the stalling occurs (date, time of day, driving situation, etc.) and provide this information to the dealership IN WRITING. Send the letter via certified mail so that in no event can the dealership claim they were unaware of the problem or the safety issues it presents. These steps will help to start building the case against the dealership and Chrysler.

Also, consult the lemon law of your state and determine whether your vehicle qualifies. Dealerships (and Chrysler) hate to have vehicles lemon lawed because it becomes part of the vehicle's title history and will substantially affect its value. Also, be aware when purchasing a vehicle, and consider whether signing an arbitration agreement as part of the purchase contract is in your best interest.

I understand that none of these steps help to resolve the actual problem with the vehicle, but they will start to lay the foundation for further action, if necessary. Also, it may be enough to get the attention of the dealership and they may be willing to take extra steps to resolve the problem. All of this is informational, and not intended to be legal advice as every situation and jurisdiction is very different. I hope this is of some help.
  • sos4sos4 Member Posts: 1
    I am replying from New York, we attempted this same fix and had a new map sensor put in. It did not fix the problem. My wife experienced the problem again at a red light 2 days ago, and immediately drove it to the dealership. Fortunately, for the first time, it actually nearly stalled while it was there so they hooked it up to the computer and found no codes coming up. But they did finally acknowledge the fact that it was nearly stalling. Yesterday they drove a loaner vehicle out to our house and informed my wife that this vehicle is hers until they resolve this problem. Unfortunately, we are still paying a Commander size payment and driving a caravan. I filed a complaint a couple of months ago with the NTHSA (sp?) and they sent an email back to me explaining that Chrysler has repurchased about 60 vehicles from owners who had numberous stalling problems, and are currently investigating this problem. (not that this helps any of us now) One good thing I have going for me is the fact that the dealerships Head service representatives wife is having the same problem with her commander.
    Okay, I finally have been speaking to someone who seems serious about what is going on with our Jeeps. It could be because I spent nearly 4 hours on the phone fighting my way to a supervisor who basically offered me no help. Remarkably, about a week later I started getting phone call from the " Impartial Service Groups Chrysler Motors Investigation to Resolution Response Team" - I am not sure exactly what they do or who they are, but the woman I am speaking with seems serious about helping. I was very frank about my thoughts on Chrysler/Jeep and how they treat their consumers. She seems to be willing to do anything to try and get the vehicle working properly. I will tell you, her words were well chosen - as though she knew that this may eventually end up in court. However, she is willing to help and get a resolution to repair. (That is all she is interested in) She is arranging a rental vehicle for us and says she will be in contact with the dealership to find out how things are progressing. I will keep everyone posted.
    Happy for you if someone appears that they wish to help you. If you read any of my post you will see that Chrysler never responded to my formal complaint to them requesting a buy back. That has been since Aug. 17, 2007. I have since contacted Consumer Affairs who in turned contacted Chrysler who also has not responded to their letter. That was Oct. 11, 2007. I have taking the advice of others on the boards to notify NHTSA. Now I had to seek out an attorney to take Chrysler to court. Lets see if they try to blow off the courts. I'm done playing with Chrysler. The don't have any respect for their consumers. They play the part and that's it. I once called the consumer relations department after they sent me a card requesting to know how my service was. I told them I was having problems with my vehicle shutting off and who could I notify about the problem? The lady on the phone said hold on. She came back on and took my phone number and she whispered on the phone 'They have a lot of problems with that truck'. And I never recieved a call from anyone. June 2007.
    Thank you.
  • wmtokyowmtokyo Member Posts: 1
    My wife enjoys driving the Commander and I felt safe with her and my daughter in it. But it stalls when she drives it - never when I have. Also, the dealer doesn't seem to know about this - but his demeanor changed when the wife (who is a foreign national) mentioned lemon law and Congressman. I have seen all these complaints that get no where and you know what - write your Congressman, you can email them through a web page - forgot the name - but will post it once I did it up. I am sending my complaint and a digest from all these complaints to at least twnety Congressmen -- saying Chrysler and NTSB does not seem to care about this and other issues. I have complained on different issues to my Congressman and have had success each time. Someone may want to write the Pres and others as well. Seriously - enough complaints this way and something will egt done - believe me - it will work - federal employee that I am, and I have faith.
  • adssadss Member Posts: 1
    We live in the UK and purchased the first Commander in Norfolk (big mistake), we have had nothing but trouble since. First an oil leak which after 2 months of backwards and forwards to the dealer they fitted a new engine, since then we have been experiencing the stalling problem I forget how many times this has happened but it happened again last night, our dealer seems to be very concerned and trying to be helpful, but each time they tell us that there are no error codes and they have never herd of this problem before. I am very concerned for the safety of my wife who mostly drives the thing. There have been many minor problems which seem to have been fixed. Has anyone else in the UK had similar problems.

(in