Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Navigation System Questions

Comments

• almat1almat1 Member Posts: 5
    I bought a 2008 Tribeca, great car, terrible nav system. If you have ever used one of the Garmin products, you know that the Subaru nav system is virtually useless. I am so tired of having to push the 'agree' button to keep the Subaru legal department happy, just to see the dashboard clock. I have had several dangerous close calls having to pull over to use the nav system. I am trying to find out if I can replace this nav system with a new, and fully functional one, and since most all of the other have bluetooth, I would like that too. I called Subaru, and they directed me to Kenwood, the manufacturer. Kenwood told me that due to an agreement with Subaru Japan, they could not discuss the system, and sent me back to Subaru, who in turn referred me to Kenwood. You see my problem. I am willing to take the large financial loss on the nav system by trying to replace the system, but I can't get anyone help in this regard. Has anyone here done this, or considered it. Does anyone know if there is a compatible product that can replace the crippled system that Subaru sells you?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I doubt you will find a cost-effective solution.

I had a 2006 Tribeca loaner for a week, and liked the Nav system. I got a Garmin later on (the Subaru was what got me hooked on the concept of GPS).

To be fair, Garmin has the same warning screen, and it doesn't go off unless you turn off Safe Mode.

I also preferred the Subaru's voice.

Garmin is a lot more customizeable and offers a lot more features, but aftermarket always does that.

I'd like to see Subaru use the passenger seat sensor (which they use to turn the air bag on or off) to allow GPS use while en route. If someone is sitting there they should be able to navigate.

Any how, try Scooby Mods for more specifics about the GPS, people over there take the dash apart to add backup cams and things like that. I don't think you'll find a cost-effective solution to swapping out the whole unit, though.
  • amy10amy10 Member Posts: 26
    The nav system on my 2007 Tribeca (17,000 miles) kicked the bucket over the weekend. Started the car up, and the screen was completely black, and never came back on throughout the weekend. Brought it in to Subaru service yesterday. After waiting two hours, the mechanic came out and said he couldn't figure out what was wrong (he'd been communicating w/ Tech Support) and would have to order a whole new system (from Kenwood). Has this happened to anyone else? If so, how long did it take for the system to be delivered? My local Subaru service hasn't dealt w/ any nav. problems; I wonder if they'll be able to install the new system without difficulty? Thank you for any feedback. :sick:
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    It is one big unit in the dash. it takes about 15 mins to pull the trim ring and then unscrew the 4 or 5 screws holding it in. then unplug the wire harness and install the new touchscreen unit. if its the drive that part is under the driver seat and easy to replace. not sure what other components are involved.

but the screen unit is a simple 1 hr max replacement.
    I agree I doubt you will find a cost effective alternative. the dash shape wont allow you to put in an aftermarket stereo. so you will need to custom fab something for the screen area.

yes Garmin excels at NAV systems it is their bread and butter ..

I have a Garmin Nuvi when traveling that I take with me or when going with friends. its nice to have a built in NAV so no one will steal it plus its more integrated.

I wish they would dump the Kenwood and go with a higher end unit, especially for the price they charge for the option.
  • amy10amy10 Member Posts: 26
    Thank you for the info! Do you think the replacement nav. system will come with a new disc, or will they put my old one back in? (When I bought the car in March 2007, it came with the older disc.) Thanks again.
    Good point, though at least it includes a backup cam now.

I bet the DVD and the unit itself are different.

You may want to call the dealership to remind them to save the DVD (and check if the new unit comes with new DVDs, though I doubt it).
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I have a Garmin Nuvi when traveling that I take with me or when going with friends. its nice to have a built in NAV so no one will steal it plus its more integrated.

Let me correct this, you prefer the Garmin so that when they break in they don't cut your whole dash up when they steal the built in unit. :):)

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    Navigation Software for Tribeca, Outback & Legacy (Version 3.0)

PRICE: $238.00

http://store.kenwoodusa.com/product.asp?sku=3762538

"Please verify the DVD version before ordering. You can find the DVD version on the on the back of the case or on the disc under the Subaru logo. (example: "Ver. 1.1")."

im not sure what this means but i've heard something about diff updated nav dvd not being compatible with current. something about depending on if you have v1.0 or 1.1

i'm pretty sure mine is 1.0, i think it says it in the info on the nav screen. Its an 06 B9 Tribeca from around when it first came out so yeah i think its 1.0

so will this 3.0 nav update work? is this the second update then? first one was 2.0? so this is even newer. i guess waiting paid off, but now its like do i get 3.0 or wait even longer for the next udpate cus i'm definatley not paying $238 each time.

its really outdated though from 2004 and i may only keep the car another 2 yrs so it might be time. My subaru dealership acts like they dont know anything about it, they dont sell it or even give you an exact # or website to order it from. i think they were just tring to get out of giving it to me for a discount since they owed me.

Is there anywhere else ot get it chaper then $238 from the Kenwood site. will this 3.0 version i posted work for certain in my 06 tribeca that currently has nav version 1.0?
  • ilushka03ilushka03 Member Posts: 9
    Yes it should work, and it is the most updated version up to date. (Just came out 1-month ago.
    If you decide to purchase it, and if you only need East-coast dics, I would be glad to purchase the West-disc from you. Please email me. Thanks, Eli
    ok cool, thanks. yeah i called up kenwood to make sure it would work and they said yes.

yeah i prob wont need the west coast disc as i would fly out there not drive so yeah that could work. I will email you. :)
    Ouch.

At least if you split it, it's $119.

Still, I got an update from Garmin for $75, for all of North America.
    Is there any other Nav touch screen you can install in the place of the factory one in Tribeca?

I figured instead of spending $238, i could order for not much more then that one of the better Pioneer units that does everything in one including xm and has a hard drive for music etc.

I guess one of those would be a lot more, plus the chance of the screen fitting where the screen does is slim and the headunit wouldn't fit anywhere in the tribeca dash.

it would turn into a whole expensive custom job.

just sucks cus its expensive for the nav update and yet i've seen the Pioneer Head units with touch screen nav and everything else under the sun that are much better then wha the tribeca has fit in other cars/suvs dash just fine.

so while a lot of ppl including myself like the Tribeca dash, this is where its not so great as no other head unit or nav screen will fit/work.

:cry:
    hey X5 long time no see... hows the custom wheels holding out. I am just about thru my tires on the new wheels I installed. it helps that I put snow tires on in the winter. but time to get new tires for the 20" rims.

as ya know there are all the custom buttons on the front of the dash that ties into the system as well... they would all be useless. I guess all the HVAC controls are under the top stack so that would be OK.

I wonder where the head unit is on the Tribeca. It must be burried in the dash. I did not see it when I pulled the NAV display unit. the DVD drive ya know is under the drivers seat.

I guess best bet is to call Crutchfield guys and see if they know if a retrofit option.

oh yeah you would lose your mileage screens (mpg, ect). :confuse:

On another note I wish we could retrofit our engines to the newer large engine in the newest B9's
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    My guess is the HVAC is tied to the stereo similar to the Legacy/Outbacks.

-mike
    hiya cluelesspa, yeah long time no see. I still have my 06 Tribeca. I actually scraped up one of my 20" black wheels so i decided to sell all 4 and the 20" Toyo tires i had on them. They were decent tires because they were all Season and still had an aggressive stylish tread which is rare for an all season as its usually only found in performance (summer tires)

Since i was getting new i decided to go up to 22" wheels and tires, heh.
    I got 22" Rolf Blix Konigs in black (22X8.5 5-114.3 38GBM) and Falken Ziex S/TZ-04 (265/40R-22 106H XL B) tires.

The Falkens dont look quite as sytlish but still not bad and supposedly an even better tire then the Toyo especially in weather.

Though its the 22" size known to fit on the Tribeca, i can't say i totally recommend to everyone especially the faint at heart. They are huge and can sometimes rub the slightest bit, even pop off the molding around the wheel well from time to time (pops back into place).

Had our first baby so I haven't been doing anything new to the beca but still have the mesh grille with no subie emblem on the front. Ppl still ask what it is as mine looks different enough and being only 06 and 07 look like it. Sometimes i say Alfa Romeo as a joke.

I do still kind of wish i had waited for the 07, just for the few new things but if i never mentioned in the main B9 thread, i had the 07 retractable cargo cover put in in place of the 06 bungie cover. It involved replacing the interior cargo area side modling panels to accomodate the retractable cargo cover. It was quite expensive for those pieces and installation and i couldnt get anything for my old panels and cargo cover.

Neeless to say I spent too much on the B9 from start to finish so i'm probably not doing anymore as I may only keep it another 2 years (to 2010) so the new 22's will hold me over till then.

I do have the DVD screen but i saw in Subie dealership headrests that come with a screen in them meant for subarus and they looked liek the tribeca headrests. I remember someone in the main B9 thread did that themselves. I might inquire about those but again i'm trying to hold off on doing anything major.

My wife has an acura and i really like the built in bluetooth phone system as it makes it so easy for hands free and not dealing with a bt headset. especially now with new super strict law passed in new jersey (where we go to the beaach in the summer) of absolutley no handheld cell phone usage whiile driving.

speaking of which i'm pretty much between the Acura MDX, Mazda CX-9, or the Audio Q7 for next suv and the Acura is probably the most bang/features for the buck.

I didnt like what they did with the 08 Tribeca model making look very conservative and like most every other suv so i'm i'm probably done with the tribecas and subaru for now. I would have liked to have seen Infiniti make a new SUV between the FX and the QX (similiar to Nissan Armada) but instead they made one smaller then the FX whic was already a little claustrophobic interior and small for a mid size category suv.

I probably wont do beige leather next time as it got too dirty. Was fun being part of a brand new model with the tribeca in 06, but in the end i felt like a beta tester early adopter that didn't benefit from that at all but rather missed out on 07 features and probably paid more also.

I miss not having intergrated XM which i could have had with teh 07 (SE only though i guess) but i do like the portable i use with a car kit pluged directly to audio jack as it lets me record xm on the fly and scheduled recordings and playback recorded content which is good when you have no xm signal, even in carwash and thats sometthing none of the intergrated units afik can do. Kind of sucks having a line to the rear audio jack (06 with dvd) then the front console audio jack introduced in 07 but actually its easier to hide the cord running to the back then it would have been in the center as far as where i have the xm unit installed in front of the NAV (which still leaves the nav scrreen able to be seen adn touched).

but still i'm starting to think the convenience and neatness of integrated xm would be nice. The bluetooth phone system that most cars are comign with now turns out to be very useful and a must for next vehicle but i'll deal without for now or can prob find an aftermarket solution.

There is probably now retrofitting one of the nice all one Pioneer nav headunits that does it all more and better then what the tribeca system does so i will prob just break down and get the 3.0 nav udpate dvd for a whopping $238 nad then hope to sell the west coast dvd to someone which is a good idea as pointed out and requested by someone here.

take care and good luck with the new 20's (i'd say be a real man and join me at 22" but i admit its a bit much and 20" is prob the sweet spot) :shades:
    Does anyone know if the Forester has the same Nav unit as the 'beca?

I kind of doubt it, given it's a double-DIN in-dash unit, but are they even from the same manufacturer?
    So at least they are both Kenwood. I wonder what model the Forester uses.

Let me do a quick search on Crutchfield to see if I can find any. I wonder if they are sold seperately, and if so, what they'd cost.

Looks a bit like the DNX5120, but not exactly the same:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=182350&i=113DNX5120&tp=1- 44

That one costs $999 with all the install hardware. Not bad. Subaru is probably marking these up.

The cool thing I just realized is that Kenwood is using Garmin for navigation. That's awesome. They have the best interfaces I've seen by far. Plus my Favorites would probably copy right over.

Hmmm. Something to think about.
    I like the 20" I use full Pirelli Scorpion Snow Tires for the winter on the Factory Rims.

easy to jack up the SUV and swap tires each season :)

wow 22" and you kept the same size tire overall diameter? so that would mean some really low sidewalls... nice thing about running 20" full summer tires is they get better gas mileage for me... less rolling resistance. I gain about 2 mpg on the highway.

well I do hate the new 08 look. the front sucks... the rear is not much improved. the side profile and front of the 06/07 were nice. A sportier rear with Yellow turn signals would have been the ticket.

I did get a survey from Subaru about BT and other desired technologies. I am hoping they take that into consideration. I use a SONY handsfree speaker that clips on the visor now for my BT speaker in the car.

glad I didnt get beige. just dumb luck as the color happened to be black on the B9 that was on the lot I was looking at... only thing is the little perf holes in the black leather gets dirt in them :mad:

The free ski tickets I get each year from Subaru and the way the AWD handles makes it tough to choose anything else in a year or two. I am definitely not putting any money into the B9 now. I am at 55k miles. Just maintenance. I can move the 20" wheels over to the new Tribeca if I go that route. I figure it will be an 2009 or 2010 vehicle when I go over to a new SUV. No Audi for me. too costly for their parts... I hear ya about next time going after market on the NAV and Radio. not worth it for the Factory one. probably get one with NAV, Bluetooth, and Radio with Hard drive for less with Video in the headsets... voice recognition ect all for slightly more then factory NAV and upgraded Stereo.

oh cracked the mesh grill in the front, icy roads and just tapped a Jeep in front. so have the mesh grills on the side and the OEM grill in the center. looks OK.
  • rs6errs6er Member Posts: 11
    I happened on this thread while searching for Subaru NAV 3.0 (I have 2.0). Some of you complained that you can't use the NAV except for a few functions while moving. I have a 2007 Legacy SpecB and am on a forum called LegacyGT.com. On that sight you can find lots of info on enabling the NAV while moving and also using the NAV screen with better head units. I haven't changed my head unit (and I like my Garmin c340 way better than the Kenwood unit) but I can operate mine while moving. It's an easy mod.
    tried looking thru the forums there but did not find the actual info on the steps needed to disable the NAV movement lockout. I noticed there is no way to email you directly so have to post on here... can you tell me which forum and what post? I doubt you will able to link to the forum directly due to rules on this forum.
  • oneman42oneman42 Member Posts: 2
    Engage your hand brake a click and that should do it, if not go under the NASIOC forum (you can google it) and find the Tribeca forum and the title says it all where to find the info.
    Good luck, if unable post a clue for me here and I will dig more info.
    HTH,
    Oneman42
    got it! Karen - she has been on here before - posted the fix on there ... Before, I have never saw the actual directions to find which wire was the one to ground out. Tried to look at the diagrams for the wiring of the Beca but couldnt figure it out.

should be easier now that I know what to look for... takes 10 mins to pull the NAV screen out...

thanks! was going to just trick the car into thinking the brake was on by splicing the brake electrical switch but decided against that. now that mine is out of warranty will try the MOD that Karen talks about :shades:
    Well did the fix yesterday. took about 20 mins to complete and reassemble. Because I took my time and sodered all my connections and wire zip tied my connections ...

anyway this only enables the VIDEO in or DVD in from the entertainment to be viewed while moving. it will NOT enable entering data on the NAV system while moving. that seems to be tied to the speed. anything over 5 mph and its disabled.

as far as this fix... all you do is pop off the trim plate (take a thin small flat screwdriver blade and work under the trim near the hazard light switch.) work that up... watch the wires connected to the hazard switch. the whole panel will come up. unplug the hazard switch (squeeze the little tab on plug and pull out).

next unscrew the left and right little displays (unplug them and remove). they are held by the 4 gold screws (2 screws for each side).

you will then have access to the 4 black screws holding the NAV screen in place. remove and the whole screen will come out of dash. pull half way then unslide the brown cable from the holder hook on top back of unit. pull unit out enough to unplug the 2 large bundle of plugs.

one will be 16 wires (some not connected).. one will be smaller plug. anyway look for the ONLY solid grey wire (should be on the larger plug). Pin 13 of 16, I think... carefully strip back the black tape holding the bundle together and get back about 2 or 3 in from the end connector and CUT the wire completely. the part going to the connect (plugging into the NAV screen)... splice or connect a 4 inch wire of the same or larger size to the 3 inches left. then wrap the splice with electrical tape and retape the bundle. now reinstall the screen (feeding the new 4 in wire around the side of the unit. screw back in and attach the wire to one of the screws so the wire is in contact with the bracket (which is contact with the NAV case) which is Grounded ... there by grounding the grey wire (tricking the unit into thinking the e-brake is applied)...

reassemble reverse order and presto Video screen will show video when pressing Entertainment/Audio Button on dash :shades: while the SUV is moving

note CUT and do not tap into the Grey wire. this way you wont see the E Brake light on your dash all the time. just tape up the un-used end of the Grey wire not connected to the plug side.
  • rs6errs6er Member Posts: 11
    Don't know if this works on a Tribecca. Is the NAV unit under the driver's seat? If it is (as on my Legacy), all you need to do is ground one wire on the harness, and you will be able to enter directions on the NAV while moving. Very simple job.
    would need to know which wire to ground? same theory as the video screen then... connect a wire to ground? does it disable the speed sensor for the NAV?

I have only seen on other sites where they put a switch in-line with the speed sensor input and open the circuit when needing to enter data on the NAV. then flipping it back closed when done and the NAV will then readjust if done for a short period of time only. if not you have to pull over and let the NAV resync.

But yes the DVD drive unit is under the drivers seat. not sure if that is also the NAV unit.
  • almat1almat1 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, the unit is under the drivers seat. Do you know which wire?

Thanks
    looks like its not a real solution... searching I found this:

======================
    Originally Posted by #072
    here are the pics and some more info. the wire that needs to be cut for the nav functions to unlock is green/black at the dvd drive under the driver's seat. on the road test this is how it worked.

-when you break the conn. the frozen icons will light up
    -the arrow will stop moving on the screen
    -@ 10 sec. after you breck the conn. the sat. picks up your location and the arrow will start to move again, but its choppy
    -@ 20 sec. after you break the conn. the icons will freeze again, its figured out your still moving and locks you out.
    -breaking the conn. again will bring them back
    -it does'nt lock you out if your in the middle of entering a destination

this seems to work okay, not flawless but better than nothing. leaving the ant. plugged in does seem to help it repostion you quicker after it loses you.
    never mind found it! sweet

bla bla bla disclaimer, voids warrant, unsafe ...

ok heres the scoop:
    ==================

I've posted my theories up on other threads but here's an official write up on my tested/working way to unlock your NAV while in motion.

I spent weeks studying the wiring diagrams on both Kenwood and Subaru (If people have access to more Kenwood diagrams I'm interested in seeing them). Turns out Subaru never wired up the parking sensor to the NAV unit under the seat. I have successfully grounded that pin on the wireharness and got the NAV menues to work while driving (see attached picture for proof).

You need to ground the pin on the bottom row (2nd from left). Its the only pin on the bottom row that doesn't have a wire going to it from the Subaru harness.

You can check your work by going to the NAV's main menu (main menu->Nav setup->Nav info->Vehicle Signal). If parking brake say's ON, then you have successfully grounded the correct pin.

My picture shows some ghetto wiring because this was durring my testing trials. The white clip is just used to ground my temporary wire that I shoved into the harness. You will want to probably do a better/cleaner job then my pics show.

Description of pics in order :
    -Label of the pin to ground to negative. (thanks to gnlowen, I borrowed his pic)
    -Closeup of the wire I shoved in the harness
    -Whole shot of the ghetto grounding job done for testing.
    -Proof of menu's not locked while car is in motion (I'd take a vid, but hard to do while driving by myself. You can see that the buttons on screen aren't greyed out)
    -Item to check to see if you have done it correctly
    =======================

from the Legacy group but supposedly works on the B9s.... not sure yet but will find out soon.. also the only downside seems to be that the NAV will no longer auto start a route. it usually if you drive long enough will automatically select the NAV route after you selected a destination.

you have to hit START now after this hack. :shades:

from what I read a guy did it on a b9. go from back of drivers seat. unscrew the two rear screws on the NAV DVD Unit cover and you can access the plug in question. its the bottom row of the wide plug

see here:
    OK tip for today... is best to have the NAV menu screen up. if you have the vers prior to 2.0 NAV disk I think in the MENU NAV SETUP there should be a screen for NAV SIGNAL. there you will find PKB = OFF or ON.

if you did this mod correctly you will see ON. if you do not have the wire in there far enough or the wire is too small it will not register (i.e. is not grounded).

if you have Vers 2.0 NAV or Vers 3.0 you will find this signal in the HIDDEN menu.
    Hit MENU and hold your finger at the top center of the screen (where there is no buttons for 10 full seconds)... it will then pop up a screen asking for code. Enter 0412220 and hit OK

then you can find the same NAV Signal screen.

Leave the signal screen up if it says PKB = OFF. then try pushing the grounding wire in further until you it changes to ON. I used wire zip ties to hold the ground wire to the large bundle of wires above it (the antenna brown wire). that way it stays in.. reassemble the kick plate with the two bolts and voila you have NAV while moving capabilities! :shades:
    just as an FYI ... that plug above where you grounded the wire. that is behind the brown antenna wire is the mini jack for the mic control button and the plug next to it is the input for the NAV Mic. You can use the Kenwood NAV Mic and it works. I have one on order (it runs $65 from Amazon shipped). just a plug and play option.

read its best to have the NAV 2.0 or higher for it to work properly. you can then speak into the MIC to issue commands (like GO HOME). ect... pretty neat. cant wait to plug in the mic and command button. :D
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Would you be interested in posting a Carspace guide about this? http://www.carspace.com/guides

It'd be really helpful :)
    thanks but not sure that is the proper forum for telling people how to modify their OEM NAV systems :shades:
  • nssubienssubie Member Posts: 3
    This sounds really great.
    Have you received this yet? Can you confirm that it works? I gather you are talking about the KNA-VC300?
    Thanks for your tip.
    Yes the KNA-VC-300 .. the NAV unit we have in the Subaru B9s are modified Kenwood KNA-DV-3200.

So the only thing is you can not change the female voice prompts from the voice recognition... but YES it works! just put the mic in last night. will have pics sometime later this week when I get a chance to pull them off camera and upload to a hosting site.

I ran the wiring along the center console and then up under dash and thru the steering wheel opening on the right side. then mounted mic to top of steering column next to parking light switch and the button to the right of the dash next to the fuel gauge. all the wiring is hidden nicely :-) and no drilling required.

You do need I hear NAV DVD version 2 at least or newer. so depending on which NAV disc you have it may have problems recognizing commands with the older NAV discs. I have NAV 2.0 and it works fine. I just heard that it doesn't work as well on the earlier versions. something on the new DVD maps that updated the firmware...

got to say its FUN and neat to say GO HOME and bam it asks for Way Point or End Destination. say Destination Point and poof you set to going home. or say I'm Hungry and the restaurants POI pop up :shades:
    cluelesspa,

awesome news. glad to see you are still trying new things to make the Tribeca better and lettins us know about it. Wasnt that you with the screens in the headrests? I think subaru now offers that on the tribeca as I saw it at the service shop.

More importantly can you clarify for myself and others exactly what the model and part# are for the mic and explain best way to install so myself and others that want to can do the same or at least be able to pass on the info to help point the service shop in the right direction.

this gives me incentive now to get the NAV 2.0 udpate. I guess i should order that first and then order the mic and get it installed. I will most definately want to do this as we are used to my wifes Acura TL and the superior voice activated nav.

speaking of which, any chance of being able to use this mic for integrated bluetooth with your cell phone. I'm in PA but we go to the shore in Jersey where they have a new strict hands free law and will ticket and fine you for using a cell phone. I have a bunch of bluetooth headsets but they are a pain and run out of batterly etc. We use the integrated bluetooth set up with my wifes cell phone in her TL all the time to make and receive calls and its great.

i'm surprised Subaru didn't add this in new models but would be nice if they offered it now as an option even for old models. But again maybe with this mic used for voice activated nav could be used for bt for cell phones?
    seems like a lot of work just to do what you can do by pressing the parking brake lever one click which doesn't engage the actual parking brake or i think what some ppl have done which was find something to permanently depress the button it presses which also doesnt' engage the parking brake.

the only benefit of opening up the nav screen and all as you described is to turn of the parking bright light on dash. but thanks for the info and maybe well try it at some point.

shame it only allows video while moving which the above trick also works but still doestn' allow the passenger to use the nav screen while vehicle is moving.

everyone said that from the start. if the tribeca can detec when someone is in the passenger seat and show the passenger air bag light on next to the nav screen. then why can't it then enable the nav screen to be operated as long as it detects the passenger. If someone driving chooses to operate it instead of their passenger or trick the seat by point something heavy enough in the seat that would be on them and subaru or kenwood not responsible. i dunno. just shame again from the beginning it can detect a passenger but still not allow operation of the nav.

though i guess with the mic you dont need touch screen controls really while moving.
    ok read all your other posts now. sounds like it might be a tad easier to do the nav mode to enable the touch screen whle moving before i udpate to the new dvd only for the menu really but will be nice to do it while i wait for my nav dvd update 3.0 and the mic.

so i will prob print out your basic instructions and do the mod (or get some help) to enable nav while moving. been waiting since 2005 (yes i got my 06 B9 in July 2005) to do this.

then hopefully the nav 3.0 update dvd and mic will be great soon after.

then as i said all we need is ability to use that mic for bluetooth with cell phone.

thanks again for all your pioneering discoveries and sharing with us especially those that have been on this thread from the beginning with our 06-07 model B9's (which i still think look better then the 08 model)
    1. easiest Mod is definitely the single ground wire to enable NAV entry while moving. Very nice 15 min fix. only need to get a good sized wire (I would think something solid like they used for grounding lighting switches in your house would work). get something around that gauge with insulation around it.

2. the Mod to watch video while moving not hard at all (toughest is to find the grey wire). that takes longer to take out the screen then the mod. go to home depot and pick up those wire nuts that you screw over wires to connect them. and a small section of wire and you go down as far as possible and cut and connect up to any screw connected to mount the screen (as they are grounded by the case).

3. Mic install takes the longest to run the wire and hide it...also to make sure the wire doesn't rub or get pinched around the steering column (so you can still move the steering up and down). NO you can not use for bluetooth. the mic/switch plugs into the NAV unit under the seat. so its part of the NAV unit. unless they upgrade the Kenwood NAV to the newest model with BT... also would be cool if they had 802.11 and then you could drive into your garage and update via your home wireless... how cool would that be...

My stuff comes from the help of the Legacy Forums (great guys there) and of Karen the REAL pioneer on the Video screen stuff ! Karen Rocks :shades:

the parking break one click stuff sucks... when this fix is so simple and is clean...

NEXT update the Media Gate player! oh this is good... adding a MG-25 Media Player to the Video system. I have the DVD so I have the Audio and Video ports in the back. this little player the Acura and Subaru Legacy guys have used is great. it uses a 2.5" laptop hd in an enclosure. can play video (mpg divx) or MP3s or show pictures. play DVD ISO files! amazing ... will be like having a media PC in my Tribecca!

Check this link out: http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1481645&postcount=1
    there are a lot of MIC commands but you still need to enter locations manually unless they are in your presets 1-9

there is no voice to text type recognition to enter data or numbers.

Its not the best solution but better then nothing and fun to use :)

so with all these mods I think I will keep my B9 for at least a few more years, maybe drive it until it drops and buy a 2nd vehicle in a year or two additional... Yeah I wish they redo the 2008+ front ends on the B9s.. they are just too traditional for me.

only regret is the newer engine (low octane ability and more hp).
    that is good! I have lots of dvds for the baby etc. ripped to .iso for playing on player in home and was worried about having to burn them to dvd and have all those loose dvd discs laying around. what other file type can it play? just mpg, divx and .iso? i guess hidef isn't neccesary on the small dvd screen but if it could play x.264 (720p and 1080p .mkv) and wmv-hd that would be great. actually for that i could just connect my popcorn hour player which isn't big but it has a full 3.5" ide hdd inside so something smaller that uses 2.5" hdd would be better. istar-hd mini nmt is smaller and can use an ext. 2.5" usb hdd.

i'll have to check out the mg-25 but its prob similiar to other ones i am aware of in fact the model# sounds familiar so i might know the brand that makes it.

you dont have anything else connected to your rear audio video inputs do you? cus i have my pioneer inno portable xm plugged into the rear inputs for direct connection sound rather then fm transmiter or whatever. I'd prob rather have integrated xm like was available on the 07 special edition and the new models but i like being able to record live xm for playback when i dont have signal or something and also can take the player in the house for listening on the home dock and on the go as a portable like an mp3 player.

But yeah so my rear audio/video inputs are being used by that though i guess i can't listen to both at once raelly so can just unplug those when connected the video player. anything small that plays .iso and some other file formats would def be great.

man i want to get the 3 mods done. (enable nav while moving, enable vid while moving without clicking parking brake, and the mic install) I guess with your instructions and/or link to other instructions and the right materials i could do it myself. But though i installed the portable xm myself hiding the wiring, I kind of want to get the mic pro installed and at that point just have them do the other 2 things as well

as far as the media player for dvd screen. i can prob just leave that in the back unless i really want to be able to operate it from up front with a remote or whatever to start/stop it etc. so would just be a matter of another wiring hide (the audio/video cable) once i have that I will really want some more screens though. possible 1 in each headrest (though then for a total of 3 just for the baby is prob overkill) and at least one more upfront (visor maybe?) i know my friend has a 350 Z and he put in a nice pioneer headunit that does everything and has a hard drive to store mp3s, is touch screen and voice activated nav and everything. has 2 screens one on top of another basically and one is slight smaller but it allows to have nav on one screen and movie playing on another which is clutch.
    no hd file support but it does do MP3 and MPEG DIVX so thats alot right there. check my link in post #243. lots of Good Info there that will answer ALL your questions ;) the 2.5" hd is better for auto use as they are more made to take bumps being laptop hds. vs 3.5" desktop hds. I put the largest 2.5" PATA drive which is a 250 GB Western Digital drive into the MG-25 unit....

if you have a few hrs a weekend you can do the mods your self.. do one a weekend ...

the voice command is nothing like the acura. it is pretty basic commands and you have to get them exact wording or it guesses wrong. ie. gasoline doesn't work but Gas Stations works...

do a search online for voice commands for Kenwood KNA-DV-3200 and forums and you will find the full listing posted in the one Legacy forums.
    here they are:
    I just got the Gefen IR Extender for $22 plus $5 shipping from B&H.
    link title
    It plugs into the MG-25p (the p model has the IR output port) the nonP model does not and allows you to have the IR receiver for the remote be located up front. I just run the wire from the extender mounted up front to the back and plug it into the MG-25. the nice thing is everything else is in back with the cup holder to place the MG-25 and the Lighter socket to power it! I am waiting on the Lighter adapter as it doesn't come with one. got one on Ebay for cheap from Hong Kong...
    I am definately doing the nav input while moving mod asap. It is really a must have even more so then disabling the seat belt chime. I still can't believe they dont let a passenger operate the nav when it detects someone in the passenger and shows the passenger airbag light on.

once I have the nav while moving mod done then I will think about the video while moving (instead of parking brake 1 click). The parking brake 1 click also serves the purpose to turn off the daytime running lights which is actually the part of it that I use most often as on a sunny day I dont need dtr's and it just burns out my upgraded bulbs faster (I was changing them once a year previously)

I'm assuming the clean enable video while driving wire mod will also turn off the dtr's? and if you want them on , on a cloudy day or something you can just turn on your parking lights for basically the same thing or better since it also includes the rear tail lights while dt's is just the front right?

then I'll think about the mic and a media player, but if i'm mostly going to play .iso's of dvds it might just be cheaper and easier to just burn them to dvdr then buy install and play them on the same factory dvd screen which already has a dvd player. Just the fact of having loose dvd discs around. What I need is some more screens especially another upfront but ideally so I could somehow still have Nav upfront on the main touch screen and then have another non touch screen just for video.

I'm assuming any screen you add to the existing factory dvd screen will only show the same as the dvd screen anyway as it would only be connected to that. You would have to connect it to the nav unit I guess as well to also get nav display on any additional screen and it wont be touch screen unless you get a touch screen display. That would be pointless unless maybe for a touch screen on passenger side for them to more easily input nav stuff but I think just an extra screen or 2 just for video display whlle the center would be for nav. Then I might not even worry about video while moving so much on that screen if there is another screen or 2 upfront for video I could keep the nav on the main center screen always and not have to switch back and forth.

Again I'm going to start with the nav while moving mod and it sounds like its a tad easier with the old version nav which I still have. If I do it with that, I wont have to redo the mod once I upgrade to version 3.0 will I? If not that gives me incentive to hurry up and do the mod then order the nav update which will allow me to do the mic later if I want to.

But for me right now priority is nav while moving, nav dvd update and then an additional screen or 3 at which point video while moving on the main factory screen wont be as neccesary though might still be nicer then parkging brake one click to turn of the dtr's.

Then maybe the mic and add a media player.

In summary 2 main questions:

1. will the enable video while driving wire mod also turn off the dtr's?

2. If I do the nav while moving mod with original nav dvd version (just makes it easier to access the menu you verify with) I wont have to redo the mod once I upgrade to version 3.0 nav will I?
    1. I never looked but I am almost 100% sure it does not turn off the DTRs. I really like the DTRs. can never have enough safety... even in bright days it still helps sometimes to people not paying attention. it should not burn out your lights early as it is running at a lower power then they usually run at so should not be burning out early... I had DTRs on my other cars and cant say they burned out earlier. my right bulb has lately been burning out but the first bulb lasted 2 years...

I just got ULTRA Silverstars for the low beams. $10 rebate until end of this month from Sylvania

2. NAV while moving is independant of the DVD NAV version running. its a hardware function you are tricking the NAV unit into thinking the parking brake is on. Not 100% sure but if you want to send me the 3.0 DVD I can test it for ya ... LOL :shades:

3. the big thing with the Media Player is that you can switch movies from the FRONT seat while driving and not swap out DVDs :-) the Video hack makes it nice so you can view the VIDEO on the FRONT screen :-) see what your doing with the Media Player while in motion. also with the Media Player its not just movies (ISO). its DIVX (about 1/10 the size of an ISO. You could fit 200 movies on a Hard Drive in DIVX and still have 50 GB for Music :)
  • fishdayleyfishdayley Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 07' 7 Pass. limited Tribeca with only 9443 miles on it. I love the car but it was in a fleet app. then returned to the dealer for retail. I live in what the nav. screen says is zone 1 Wash., Ore. & Ida.. The car was from the Ohio, Illinois area And it will not let me select my current address for the home destination. Does anybody have a disc that is the most current update, and interested in selling or maybe the contact # for Subaru to sweet talk them into sending me the current update for the west.
    you should have received the 2nd DVD NAV disk with the car (in a DVD movie like case). there is a WEST coast and an EAST coast. if not the dealer should provide for you as part of the purchase.

if the WEST coast in the drive (under the driver seat is the DVD drive unit) just swap the DVD inside with the EAST coast.

if the EAST coast dvd is already installed. then you need to relesect the zone you are in when selecting navigation. did they give you the NAV manual? good reading :)
    Talk to your dealer or call 800-SUBARU3.

If it's a recent purchase you should at least have the 2 original DVDs.