Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Navigation System Questions

beanandmebeanandme Member Posts: 26
I'm finding the nav. system on my o7 limited tribeca hard to use. First of all, I can't figure out how to turn it off. It seems to always require a destination, and the only thing I can do to avoid it binging and trying to redirect me is to turn the sound off. Does anyone know a way to tell the computer "I don't need help this trip"? Also the only time I've tried to use it, thr route it took me on used only surface streets, even though the freeway and a tollroad were nearby and I had entered "allow tollroads". Is anyone having much success with theirs?
Thanks,-Krista

Comments

• occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I have only had my car two weeks ago, and it will take me a while to get used to this Nav system. I had a Garmin Street Pilot for two years and took me quite some time to get used to it. The one in the Tribeca is much more complicated. Believe it or not, there were some features in the Street Pilot that even the one in Tribeca doesn't have.

Average speed, altitude (although that is not very important to know) longitude and latitude (also something not exactly necessary to know)

However, both of them still want you to sometimes take roads that don't make any sense; in some cases wanting you to go back and all the the way around to get to a destination. Garmin much easier to use to get points of interest, and I could play around with it & do anything I want while driving. You probably figured out only certain features avail in Nav on Tribeca while driving.

However, I am confident as I use it more and become more accustomed I will really like it much better. I believe there are settings you can use that will eliminate a lot of the "instructions" it give you.

Got to run but any questions you have please post & I will try to help you.

Other than that, how do you like your Tribeca. What kind of gas mileage you getting? Mine was a demo, so far in 1700 miles per trip computer 22.5, actual around 21.7.
  • tsportytsporty Member Posts: 13
    It is not the easiest to use and must admit I'm enough of a geek to have actually read and re-read the manual a few times to get the hang of it.
    This might not be exact but if you get into the menu and then nav or trip options I think will bring up a cancel navigation choice which then appears on the bottom of the screen where you have to select that as well to turn it off.

I found the easiest way on longer trips is to enter several memory points for any places or attractions you might be interested in going to and then you can access them on the fly anytime to start navigation when you think you need it. Be sure to look at the route choices to see if the freeway is being used and select the route that you want from the three choices given.

Hope this helps.
  • beanandmebeanandme Member Posts: 26
    Thnaks. I watched the informational dvd that came with it, and that answered some questions. I did finally figure out how to get to the screen that says cancel navigation or something like that. I agree that there's just so much it can do, it's gonna take some time sitting in the driveway playing with it to figure it out.
    To answer the previous poster's question, I've only got 350 miles on mine, and I'm averaging a pathetic 16 mpg. I drive a mix of around town and freeway. The average does go up with every trip; when I got it from the dealer with 30 miles on it the average mpg was 8.5!!! I don't know how to reset the trip odometer, that trip a and trip b screen. I'll have to read the manual some more. Subaru should offer a weekend class so we can learn how to use all our gadgets! : )
    -Krista
    Another thought I had while driving around and loving my new car- there ought to be a screensaver function on the nav monitor so you can upload a photo or an aquarium or something. Wouldn't it be cool to have a screen full of swimming fishies? Maybe there's a way to get my cellphone to transfer data to the moitor. Any techno-geeks out there who know how to do that? Also do the limited models include bluetooth?
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    no bluetooth. the NAV is not user friendly. I have had 3 nav systems counting this one and I rank this the most user unfriendly... but its better then no NAV.

I have been traveling for work and after using my Garmin Nuvi 360 portable with BT built in stuck to the rental car windshield, I realize how unfriendly the Kenwood (Subaru) NAV system is. plus it maps me funny off a main road onto a side road then back onto the main road... but like I said, its better then nothing.

I seriously doubt you will be able to do a screen saver from pictures ect. but a nice idea. and no BT options I have seen yet. this I miss from my previous SUV (a Pacifica).

The best route is usually the FASTEST Route option (typically set as your default route). but its not perfect. you can only select and deselect which roads to ALLOW. the option is not for PREFERRED Road types like in alot of other systems (ie. prefer highways)...

Sounds like your first Subaru... as I was lost as well on where the buttons were. The reset button is located in the instrument cluster right above the stearing wheel (its black so hard to see). hold down to reset which Odometer you are on and the MPG will reset. it tracks both odometers separately in the MPG screen on the NAV screen.

and TSPORTY is right. set all your friends and favorite locations up in memory points, you can select the first page of memory points or last locations while driving! you can not enter points manually while driving.

also you should set up your very very used locations as memory buttons on the bottom. I have my home and work setup. so when you click destination the mini buttons on the bottom are there even when the SUV is moving :)
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    ..."set all your friends and favorite locations up in memory points, ... I have my home and work setup. so when you click destination the mini buttons on the bottom are there even when the SUV is moving"

I'm sorry I don't really understand. Do people use Nav systems to get to their home, work and friends houses? I thought it was just for finding unfamiliar places? Or did you just move to a very complicated city?
  • n0pan0pa Member Posts: 5
    Does the OEM Nav say street names, or just the "Turn Left/Right"?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I had a loaner for a week, and I own a Garmin c320 now.

The Garmin is easier to use, but I do miss the sweet voice on the Tribeca and the much bigger screen.

-juice
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    You set a "Home" memory so you can geth the H--- out of SE Washington DC when you can't take it anymore. :surprise:
    Thanks for all the tips! I'm glad this website is here since my dealer didn't know anything.
    :)
    my NUVI 360 Garmin has like 9 voice choices. I like the British and Aussie accented Female english voices :)

and the Garmin does read street names, the Subaru doesn't. but none of my previous NAV built in car systems read names, but I think most of the new built in ones do.

as far as HOME and Work .. yeah sometimes your some place else and need to get home from there, so its nice to have those preprogrammed in :P
    Mine has a female with an American or British accent, but that's it. I prefer the American one on this unit.

My c320 does not read street names, but the c340 or higher does, basically two steps up from mine.

I've saved so many favorites that I usually have to search by name. I find it incredibly useful.

-juice
  • ree1ree1 Member Posts: 1
    It seems that there are upgrade kits for the 2006 Tribeca to add the 2007 backup sensors...but not the backup camera. Does anyone know if it would be possible to simply replace the 2006 Nav system with the new 2007 system that includes the camera and backup sensors. I don't mind doing all the work in my backyard. Just do not know how possible it is.
  • tupintupin Member Posts: 71
    Anyone hear any concrete info on when the updated software will be out for the nav? Also, I wonder if you can just buy the east coast dvd instead of both.
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    I think you can... The retail version of the Kenwood system in the car does support backup camera. I done quite alot of research regarding this but never tried because getting parts was over couple hundred of dollars and it won't garrantee to work... :(
  • ricagonricagon Member Posts: 4
    Does any one know how to stop having that screen appear every time I start the car that makes you pick your language and hit the "I agree" button? I have agreed to follow the rules of using the nav about 300 times now and it keeps popping up- will this always happen or did I miss something in the set-up? Help??? thanks! :)
    I'll tell you but you'll need to sign a legal disclaimer first. ;)

j/k, the lawyers do have their say, though.

-juice
    Thanks for a reply, but really-am I stuck with that foolish screen?
    Yep. Do you hate lawyers yet? Thank the people who sue for no reason and the juries that award (reward) them for their own stupidity.
    Do ALL navigation systems do this?

What if you left it in Radio or MPG mode the last time, and you have no intention of using the Nav... does it still ask the question?
  • aka1aka1 Member Posts: 110
    No, the "sign you rights away" screen cannot be defeated by leaving it in any mode... Every time you remove the keys from the ignition, it gets reset- although if you are in the middle of a trip (with navigation directing you), once you press the "agree" button, the remaining route pops right up.

AKA1
    Wow. That really really s&cks. What if you left the screen dark the previous time. Will it just retain that setting and come up dark so that it's easier to ignore?
    That's great...so over time the touch screen is going to crap out in that spot from overuse... :sick:
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Anyone heard the latest about software updates? Last I heard it was supposed to be in October, and that Subaru would notify owners.

-Karen in AZ-
    last week was talking to the dealer and he said they checked for some other guy and still waiting. I heard 2nd week of October but looks like later :(

I am hoping by end of October.
    Are SW updates free? or do they charge you for them? (how much?)

I'm in the process of purchasing a new 'beca, and perhaps the new DVD is something I should request as part of the deal?
  • flgirlaolflgirlaol Member Posts: 51
    When I test drove the B9 this past weekend, the salesperson told me that there was no need to buy updates for the 2007 Navigation system, that they would be automatically updated via the nav system. Is this for real?

In my current Lincoln Nav....I have to buy the updates at $299 a pop. Needless to say, I haven't done it yet! :P
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    The system runs off the DVD software, which has to be physically updated. So, no, the system will NOT update itself. (Perhaps your sales person is thinking of a portable GPS that updates itself? Sounds to me like he hasn't done his homework :blush: )

Last I heard from Subaru corporate office was that the new DVDs would be out this month, but that pricing had not been set yet. Anyone have any info newer than that?

-Karen in AZ-
    My Garmin has a lawyer screen, but at least it goes after after a few seconds.

You can turn "safe mode" off so that the front passenger can enter destinations while you're driving.

-juice
    Which Kenwood Nav system is the retail equivalent of the one in the '07 Tribeca?
    That's my biggest beef with the subaru nav system, not being able to use it as a passenger while the car's in motion. You'd think they could link the airbag "brain" that knows the front passenger seat is occupied to the nav "brain", so when an adult is riding shotgun, they could operate the nav system.
  • ulicalulical Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a Tribeca and I noticed that even though the Nav system is set to "Auto", at night the screen stays bright. I thought that maybe Subarus had different contrast settings but, when I played with it and put it on a "Night" setting, it automatically went dark, as I thought it would while set in "Auto". Has anybody else had this problem? If so, how was it resolved? Thanks for the help and advice.
  • kuohkuoh Member Posts: 15
    Check your dimmer switch. If it's set to max brightness, the NAV will stay in the daytime color scheme.

KuoH
  • kuohkuoh Member Posts: 15
    I'm not sure what changes there are between the 06 and 07 NAV, but from what I can find on Kenwood's site, the 06 seems to be based off the DV3100 or DV4100.

ftp://inform.kenwoodusa.com/MANUALS/KNA-DV3100.pdf

KuoH
  • ulicalulical Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Kuo...I'll check and see if that fixes it.
    I think the only thing that will get updated is the map dvd, which is dated 2005...
  • subiedudesubiedude Member Posts: 7
    check ebay. i bet you could find someone that would be willing to sell their west/east coast dvds if they dont want it. if its not there, post a wanted thing on ebay. or check craigslist.

also, i am about to buy an 06 tribeca, and i was wondering.

can you play dvds on the nav screen?? :confuse:
    Only when parked.
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    can you replace the nav unit with a superior pioneer voice activated nav unit?

will you lose mpg and other screens then thoug. I guess so.
    Probably, since it's all integrated.

If you want a different NAV model, my suggestion would be to buy a Tribeca without NAV, and get a portable unit. Those have advantages of their own, such as custom POI (points of interest) lists.

-juice
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    nah, I don't like the portable units. the pioneer unit twp of my friends have was fitted into their dash perfectly and looks like the car came with it.

the main thing that is a shame is that it is better then subarus nav.

But I guess it doesn't make sense to change the nav option I already paid for that might not fit in the tribeca as well as it does in other cars with a double stack dash. plus lose features like mpg etc that are in other parts of the screens menus.

from what I hear of how the 08 reskin will look, I won't be interested in it. I doubt I would get an 07 as the engine is still weak but kind of wish I waited for it for a few of the minor improvements and then maybe just got the cobb super charge kit which I haven't heard any new info on.

prob just get the new mdx next anywhere from jan. to 3 years from now which has the best nav so I won't have to worry about getting without nav and addng the pioneer unit that ilike.

I'm just concerned that the mdx's new nav isn't touch screen and wonder if the next model year of the redesign might change that.

its not a brand new model just a redesign but after the couple improvements they made to the tribeca I am concerned about getting the first year only for them to improve a few things the next.

wife is getting a tl in jan though so might be a time we can get good deal on 2 acura. plus don't want her to have a better car then me. the tl's nav and tech in general is better then the tribeca.
  • dean7dean7 Member Posts: 32
    I have looked everywhere to see if there is a way to avoid hitting "agree" on the navigation screen everytime I start the car. Am I missing something or do you actually have to touch agree every time? Thanks.
    I've never seen anything- but keep looking, and by all means let us know if there is any kinda' way to bypass it.

As was previously posted here: it seems to be based off the Kenwood DV3100 or DV4100 nav units

ftp://inform.kenwoodusa.com/MANUALS/KNA-DV3100.pdf

try and find out if the kenwoods have the same issue and if it has been bypassed.
  • dean7dean7 Member Posts: 32
    Can you tell us secretly? Or is there really just no way to bypass it once you've agreed 100 times? Thanks.
    As noted above, there is NO way around it. If you look at the pdf manual for the Kenwood unit on their website you will notice that Kenwood has their own legal notice that you must navigate past. It's a sue happy society we live in and manufacturers must protect themselves from the slimeball personal iinjury lawyers out there. :(
    I wonder if you can sue them because you crash the car while reading the legal disclaimer.... .
  • tupintupin Member Posts: 71
    actually, I think you might claim shoulder strain from the repititive nature of reaching to hit the disclaimer ;)
  • tildekevinstildekevins Member Posts: 2
    I want to get to the NAV unit to add a backup camera. It can be done as shown in http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=755148#post755148
    Has anyone here done this and if so what camera did you use? I tried the wireless VR3 camera from Walmart/Pepboys and the wireless signal got way too much interference. I'm thinking maybe get the non wireless unit and just use its camera, if the reversed/mirrored image is correct. ANyway, how do you get the trim off so you can pull out the NAV to get to the back of it?
    --
    Kevin
    Finally got my 'beca yesterday. I've only driven it a bit, and have spent most of the time staring at the nav screen rather than the road in front of me. good thing the vehicle has a 5-star crash rating :D

I haven't used too many other Nav systems, but the Tribeca's isn't bad. It's a bit cumbersome in its organization, but having a touch screen really makes up for many of its deficits. So far it's been easy to use, although quicker access to mute the voice would be a nice addition.

But the best part about it (and the reason why I got it in the first place) is the backup camera- with the little colored guides. VERY COOL and something I'll use every day.

I learned in traffic school (in which I've got a master's degree) to always back up into parking lot spaces, as it's much safer to pull out forwards than backwards. :shades:
    just checked with my dealer. he said subaru rep was in the other day and still no NAV update. the rep said "very soon" what ever that means. :(