Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Steering Stability and Suspension

Comments

• c_farooqc_farooq Member Posts: 20
    Hi
    Was wondering of someone could help me. Took car to mechanic and he said the steering doesnt pull back itself after you have turned. I have noticed every so often it screatches, any ideas?
    thanks
  • 22munchman22munchman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 grand cherokee quadro-trac( all time 4Hi ) after driving at highway speeds for a while ( 20 miles+ ) and returning to driving in town, turning left and right somewhat sharp, the front end shutters not wanting to turn. It acts like a slipping clutch? does anyone have ideas on what could cause this?
  • hikick1hikick1 Member Posts: 39
    removing the driveshaft did not solve my problem. I will try the stabilizer bar next.....has anyone actually had sucess at solving the actual death wobble?
  • morrow187morrow187 Member Posts: 1
    I read your post on here just recently and you have the same year and make of the jeep i have as well. Don't know if you ever solved your problem but im in between having the same issue and one of the things i did was replace the 4wd switch first. I was told that sometimes it can go bad and will not show up on the console as an error. Luckly mine did so i started there and it stopped the problem for a little bit,but then came back just not as bad. My jeep has about 236 or so thousand miles on it so its been through it all just about. Now from what i've been told jeep dealers really don't like to fix older jeeps. Its more of a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to them so when you bring it to one a lot of times they will tighten few things here and there and charge you an arm and a leg to do so,this i was actually told by a former mechanic that work for said company. Now talking to him and checking a few things out online i found out that its good to check a few things. One make sure the pressure of your tires and that they are all about the same wear.when you have a 4wd full time the tires have to be all the same otherwise it can start having problems and you'll notice your gas not lasting as long and steering can start acting up and may seem like your driving some sort of seesaw then an Suv.Other thing make sure the alignment is good and the damper steering linkage is good.Check front shocks and front brake rotors as well and check the sway bar.I read a while ago that the actual sway bar can start to kinda twist in a way so the sway bar links are pulling towards certain directions so when you take a turn there is no balance and it feels like the wheel is digging in to the ground and not moving.Now ive read alot of things on drive shafts and wheel bearings,Pitman arms and tracking bars so hope some of this helps and if you have found anything else that i haven't or found something that worked send me a reply.
  • happlehapple Member Posts: 2
    check the pittman arm...
  • happlehapple Member Posts: 2
    I own an 95 GCL and had the Death wobble for the very first time in 2004 while towing my boat at highway speed. I scared to death. Thought I was loosing a tire or something like that. I took my car to my mechanic after that, tried to describe the experience to him, but he never heard about anything like that before. Anyway, I left my jeep there and the problem desappear for a couple of years. He told to me, he change the track and the brake rotors.

Now I experience the death wobble for the 3th time a pair months ago. It happend between 80 and 100 KPH (48 - 60 mph)

I have already change both tie rod ends, track bar, steering linkages (both, the one that links the pittman arm to the passenger side and the one that links both tires), the control arms (upper and lower both sides), brake rotors. After I replace this parts I took my jeep to get alligned but still have the DW, and as many of your experiences, it get worse.

Then I found this forum and notice that I am not the only one experience this shaking...

I´ve read all the coments and realize that this problem is not necesary inerend to lifted jeeps, but to all jeeps. I experiece myself this problem for the first time before I lifted mine. (I lifted my jeep 2" in May 09 with an energy suspention kit)

I have notice by reading all your experiences, that the higher you lift your jeep the slower you need to drive to get the DW:

no lifted jeeps, DW ocurr at 60 - 65 mph
    1.5 / 2" lifted jeeps, DW ocurr at 50 - 55 mph
    4 / 7" lifted jeeps, DW ocurr at 25-30 mph

I´m I right?

Anyway, I tried the advice #60 last Saturday. It almost solve the problem, but I still have a little shake and I suspect that the DW will ocurr at any moment if I pass a bigger bumper. I think I´m close to get the problem solved.

I will check for any other worn bushing or bolt and change the steering shock.

Hope the problem will desapear as I have no clue what else to do.

Tks you guys for all your tips.
  • colemanzjcolemanzj Member Posts: 1
    mam i have the same jeep sitting outside. with the same problem. and i am so tired of being scared to drive it. i replaced the drag link( tie rod) that runs from the pitman arm to the right front wheel and that did not cure the problem.I jacked my front end up to change a cv axle that was bad and noticed my hub assemblies and ball joints are bad. When they are bad they will have slack, which will cause the front end to do whatever it wants at about 45 mph. i also read that if the steering gear box is loose, it will cause the death wobble as well. now i know that mine could be more. i am stupid and cheap, and wanted a lift kit. i bought a 4 and a half in polly spacer lift with new procomp shocks.. probably a bad idea. this put my control arms at a bad angle messing up all of the geometry of my front end. which made the DEATH WOBBLE worse. all this is getting fixed this month on my jeep, and i will let you know if the problem is solved.
  • firstjeep4firstjeep4 Member Posts: 1
    I took my 07 jeep Laredo in and , told them I heard the steering wheel squeak. They said it was my clock spring so they replaced it. But my real problem is they said when they were in there they told me the module steering control needed to be replaced? I have NO idea what that means and that the part to fix it was gonna cost me 787$ Does this sound right to anyone? I guess I dont know what the module steering control does or what type of package would cost that much to fix. Can someone please explain this to me or help me.. I am really feeling like i bought a lemon from them and they are ripping me off. Thank you
  • carrgocarrgo Member Posts: 8
    Jeep Problems-----2006 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Liter Hemi
    Vin # 1J8HR58296C302110

This steering problem seems to only happen during hot weather (in the winter months or below 80 degrees, no problem) after driving just a few minutes or longer the "steering shutters and jerks" while making turns. The shutter is very bad when backing and turning after being parked for a few minutes. Dealer performed the following on the following dates.
    6-14-08--added anti foam. No help.
    8-18-08--replaced Steering Gear.
    9-12-08--replaced Steering Pump.
    10-9-08--did bleed procedure.
    10-14-08--Replaced Cooling Fan. After all this, there is improvement, but still has some shutter and jerk.
    1-28-09--Pressure test and did flow rate test.
    Still having the same problem in the summer months when outside temperature increases above 80 degrees. Shutter is extremely bad when outside temperature is above 100 degrees. Also from time to time when really hot a loud roar from fans when first started along with shutter for a few minutes.
    This problem obviously is caused by high outside temperatures.
    I am at a lost and it seems the Dealer is also.

Any ideas????????? Thank you.
    Check the steering stabilzer shock.
    Jeep uses a hydraulic stablelizer much like a shock. Replace it. Should work, did on my '98.
  • jbstormjbstorm Member Posts: 6
    If this happens only when moving, I had a similar problem on my 2001 Grand Cherokee. After months of troubleshooting, it turned out to be the master cylinder. After getting hot, fluid expansion and an out of tolerance shaft would cause the slightest pressure on the brakes which would cause severe shaking of the wheel, even without brakes applied. One thing I did to troubleshoot this was to put drilled slotted rotors on the front end. Problem went away but I could tell brakes were dragging just slightly. That lead me to the master cylinder. Just something new to check out.
    Replace the steering stabilizer shock, fixed my '98.
  • scampjeepscampjeep Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my steering column making that noise. A jeep dealer told me it was the clockspring. How much did it cost to have yours replaced? The dealer gave me some OUTRAGEOUS estimate to have it fixed.
    I still have the problem.
  • patreichepatreiche Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    There is a solution to this problem on this forum it is a bolt in the track bar. There is slop in the bolt it needs to be replaced with a larger bolt and you have to drill out something.

Message #60, #144
  • tfmc369tfmc369 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 98 GC w/ 157k miles on it and recently i hear a clacking noise coming from what sounds like the steering column under the hood when i turn the wheel..
    also, i hear a clunking noise coming from the front drivers side wheel area when ever i go over bumps.
    what is it and how do i fix it?
    is this someting i can do my self, or do i have to take it in?
    any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanx in advance
  • 01z301z3 Member Posts: 1
    Did you get any resolution to your problem I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.7 hemi and it just started with my jeep, but only in reverse when it is hot out and the jeep has been sitting - I have taken it to the dealership twice but they can't make it happen and they checked everything and they said they couldn,t find anything wrong bring it back when it is doing it

Thanks
    Dave
    No, mine still shutters but not as bad. As you will note in my coments they replaced all the steering parts and it still does it. You are correct in when it happens. After I drive the car just a short distance and park for a few minutes when the outside temp is hot, it will shutter badly when I back up and turn the wheel. It will continue for a few more minutes when driving and making turns then it clears up. Somehow it has to do with the heat outside for it is fine in cooler weather. I know Jeep has had other complains. I believe it is in the steering box because when the dealer order mine there were 150 back orders ahead of mine. Please let me know if you never fined a solution. Thank you Neil.
  • trooperx1trooperx1 Member Posts: 3
    2004 Grand Cherokee 2w/D, it has 36000 miles on it and I seldom drive it.
    At any speed it will sway all over the road `if you move the wheel quickly I feel it could turn over. Also the ride is terrible.

It has factory Goodyear tires.

Any thoughts on what I can do?

Thank you.
  • hikick1hikick1 Member Posts: 39
    hi,

I had a similar problem. My drive belt tensioner was not tight enough creating extra play in my power steering. I tightened the tensioner and replaced the drive belt since I was there. The problem vanished. I have a 93 grand cherokee laredo. Hope this helps you becasuse if you have a tensioner your fix could be "free".
  • bigmuny02bigmuny02 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    One owner 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6 cyl with 64,500 miles all of a sudden starts a vibration around 65 to 70 miles an hour or more...it only happens during acceleration and when I let off the gas it stops vibrating..almost feels like misfire in cylinder or spark plug or spark plug wire. The only thing I have done is put a high octane engine additive in a full tank of gas every 3rd or 4th fill up. Will take it in to Jeep but would like some possibilities about what it could be before I take it in..any ideas???
  • rt25rt25 Member Posts: 2
    Death Wobble I curse thee. I have to say thanks, your post was the first I saw mentioning the increase in size to a 7/16" bolt for the track bar axle end mount. I pulled out the calipers and went to town measuring diameters and found a 10 MM bolt from Jeep in a 11 MM diameter mount. The bolt had developed a waist where it had wobbled around in the mount, no wonder it was giving the death wobble. The long and short of it I had to drill out the bracket and bushing in the track bar and axle end mount just a fraction with a 7/16' drill bit and lo and behold, no more death wobble! So thanks where thanks is due. The 7/16" bolt did the trick, and I did go grade 8 as that is the recommended grade for standard bolts for suspension components. Having stripped one factory bolt trying to achieve the spec'd torque in my manual and having to tediously hacksaw it out in pieces by hand it could never have been solved by tightening the bolt, proper diameter is the way to go!
  • sorfaziansorfazian Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys im new to this forum
    my jeep grand Cherokee limited 4.0 2WD when im driving on the freeway i cant keep the car striate its wonders left and right its driving this jeep after downing bottle of patron..all ball joints are good, tires are new air pressure is at 34, i put set of new shocks o.e . on the freeway when a turn is coming up or just changing lanes when i let go of the steering wheel it doesn't fix back or center back, I have to turn it back to center it seems like its getting stuck?? can someone please help me!
    ]thanks in advance!
    George-
  • phantom22phantom22 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,
    I have a 1995 grand cherokee that makes a clicking noise coming from the front passenger side when i hit a bump or the supention moves, it stops when the road is smooth, i just replaced the wheel bearing, also when i turn the same front passenger side seems to jump when the wheel is turned any help would be great.
    thanks
    chris
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    check your axel shaft bearings
  • ohioreb2ohioreb2 Member Posts: 2
    I was driving home from work today when the front end started wobbling severely.... which is an understatement. I slowed down to 30 mph and it stopped. It scared me to death! Any suggestions about where I can take it to get fixed without being taken advantage of? And what are the key words that I need to say to them so they don't take advantage of me? Should I ask them to check the track bar axle end mount to make sure they are all 7/16" bolts? I hate going to car shops. I feel more comfortable in an Emergency Room or anywhere in a hospital than a car!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Search the Jeep forums here for "death wobble".
  • ohioreb2ohioreb2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info!
  • pacificjeeppacificjeep Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I've owned since it was new. It's well maintained. Suddenly, driving down a rough spot on the freeway doing about 70, it went into what sounds like the death wobble. I've since replaced the brakes, rotors, shocks, had it aligned and the wheels balanced. It looks like it might be 1 of 100 things. What is the best order to try to resolve this from here. I'm hitting the "road" again in about 10 days and don't want another towing experience - which is what I did last time as it scared me to death!!! I'd appreciate hearing what other Jeep owners have done. Thanks!
    It is your steering stabilizer shock. Replace it and you are good to go.
  • rlipcz01rlipcz01 Member Posts: 11
    I have read alot of posts in many months, the best i heard was replacing the front transfer case, steering dampner becuse it was ruined from the shaking or death wobble. Last was getting a front end alignment to adjust for the dampner. It worked.
    I have found that by replacing the steering stabalizer shock will solve over 90% of the problems. Might want to pass this info along.
  • bigmuny02bigmuny02 Member Posts: 2
    My front end vibration has been solved by just rotating the tires during my oil change. I didn't think it would be the tires as the problem just started one day. I rotate every oil change 3500 miles. Letting off the gas pedal when it started around 70mph it would stop so I didn't think it could be a tire problem since it would seem the vibration would still be an issue even after letting off the gas but I was wrong. So perhaps instead of buying new tires you may think about tire rotation to see if this less expensive method will work as it did for me. :):( :mad: :cry: :confuse: I have felt all these at one time or another....
  • allan_62allan_62 Member Posts: 1
    the post by carrgo stated that is it is your steering stabilizer shock, not saying they are completely wrong but I have the same problem with my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I have already change the steering stabilizer shock, and problem remained.. so I tried again, thinking maybe faulty aftermarket part, when to dealer and got one, again, problem remains.. I'm still investigating other causes.
    Also, my dad has an 85 Cherokee that has the same problem, also same story, change shock, hasn't cured problem yet. That is why I am now researching information on internet..
    This is 90% caused from front upper and lower ball joints. Brake calipers is another problem but usually it is the ball joinnts. all are defective i own a 2003 jgc and it is starting to show signs of the wobble on highway when applying brakes. in my case it is probably both the calipers and ball joints. oN my 2003 there is also a ball joint in the rear of the vehicle right underneath the rear pinion assembly. The noise when i hit a hole or bumb sounds like bad shocks but it is not..good luck
  • pacificjeeppacificjeep Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help! I originally replaced the brakes, shocks, struts. Took it out for a test driver and - you guessed it - the death wobble was still there. Next I replaced the stabilizer shock. (My first mechanic considered it an "optional" sort of off road thing and my JGC is never off road). Anyway. So far so good. Took it to the area that always triggered the wobble and zip. It does, however, seem like I can feel every little pebble in the road - but no wobble. It might be the fact the the front end is nice and tight now and the new shocks are stiff. I'm still considering having a look at the ball joints -just in case as that occurred to me too. Time will tell. I love my jeep so I hope that's the end of the cash bleed for now! Good luck!
  • bradyrbradyr Member Posts: 4
    Hello all,

I have a problem with jeep control. I have a 2003 jgc, tires fairly new, rotated every 5000 miles and jeep as been aligned twice recently. Now the problem. On a three lane highway- center lane being flat- right and left lane being angled slightly. If I am in the center lane jeep drives fine- straight- if I am in left lane depending on slope of lane the "JEEP" on the steering wheel points to 12:30 maybe 1:00. If I am in the right lane the "JEEP" points to 11:30 maybe 11:00 again depending on slope of lane. Any ideas what I need to do to fix this problem? All new rotors and brakes same time alignment took place.Maybe a month ago...new shocks about 6 months ago. I have no death wobble.....no noises....thanks in advance for any advice or help to correct this problem and may everyone have a safe and good weekend
    Me wife owns a 2003 jgc and the steering wheel on hers is the same. straight ahead if road is flat. if you look up chrysler bulletin reports it says it all. Many jeeps are experiencing the same effects of this problem. No recalls though, unless still under warranty. One of th problems is the upper front ball joints, but could be both upper and lower ball joints. The rear of the vehicle also has a ball joint but it is under the rear differential. If you ever noticed in the cold weather a noise in the back when going over bumps or pot holes, sounds like the shocks bottom ed out, the rear ball joint needs to be replaced.
  • harleytiger01harleytiger01 Member Posts: 1
    I just recently go a 94 Cherokee AWD. Drives nice except while going around 45 to 55 It will start feeling and sounding like I got a flat on the front passenger side. Vibrating and makeing the thud thud noise. It will pull to the right while doing so.. And the faster I go it will then just start grinding. It comes in and out of it though while continueing to drive. In town driving seems ok and it takes a few before it starts on a long road doing 45 to 50. Thought we smelt gear oil but all is still full soon none leaking. Just needs some help cause its hard to drive while doing this stuff.
  • mwolf9000mwolf9000 Member Posts: 29
    1995 JGC, full time 4wd, 5.2L V8. On very tight turns at low speed, such as going into or out of a parking space, there is a grinding and thumping problem with the front end at full steering lock. I figure that this is caused by the "inside" front wheel being forced to rotate the same as the "outside" front wheel, and the inside tire is not happy about this. The car has full-time 4wd. I've greased the front end and checked the front axle fluid level. Any ideas on a fix?
  • 88laredo88laredo Member Posts: 1
    These Jeep Cherokees are infamous for their death wobble. I have owned 6. Once you add any lift to your cherokee or oversize tires (31 inch) you assure that you are going to have death wobble. The absence of an actual frame unibody construction makes it diffcult to assure a smooth ride with an elevated suspension/larger tires. It should be noted that the Jeep Cherokee is superior in it's 4 wheel drive with it's Dana axles but the trade off is it's inferior handleling. it is definitely worth the trade off as the Cherokee is supreme in snow. Try rotating your wheels and/or balancing tires, but be advised that the only way to avoid death woble is to stay with factory lift and tires.
  • rt25rt25 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for the slow response. I was fine with the trackbar fix for awhile, until I hit one really, really bad angled seam in a bridge. Voila, return of the deathe wobble. I tried fixing the ball joints (upper and lower) as well as the front wheel bearings. This reduced the severity, but it was still there. What seems to have finally fixed the issue was replacing the tie rod ends from the pitman arm, the drag link and the inner and outer tie rod ends (I went ahead and threw on a new steering stabilizer when I was replacing the drag link as well). In the stock XJ steering you have these four tie rod ends and I think all that play adds up. Everyone's mileage will vary and there never seems to be one simple fix. Sometimes it can be bad shocks too (I replaced those too, watch out for frozen bolts in the rears). But the biggest change seemed to come from replacing the tie rod ends in my case. Good luck with your fix!
  • ia_momia_mom Member Posts: 1
    Hi there.

We bought a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee and now that it is cold in the morning the power steering is going out intermittently. Our local mechanic said something about "morning sickness" but everything I've read about that says it is a transmission problem, not steering.

Does anyone have any experience with this??

Thanks!!
  • trooperx1trooperx1 Member Posts: 3
    My 2004 JGC has beat me to death since the cay I bought it. It has 38,000 miles on it with factory Goodyear tires.
    Any suggestions for a smother ride, tires, shocks, if so what kind?

It has never been off-road.
  • gytgyt Member Posts: 1
    It sounds to me like it is a bad wheel bearing, which are generally cheap to buy, but labor will most likely cost more than the parts.
  • mimi139mimi139 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2001 GC Laredo. I had a slight vibration when driving as well as noise coming from breaks sounding like clank clank noise. I just had my front brakes done and the right front axle replaced on the jeep. The service man told me the vibration and clanking noise is coming from the universal joint but then he checked it Monday and said I have to replace the front drive shaft. He said this would resolve it. So I went to get a second opinion and surely I do need to replace the front end drive shaft. However this service station did not charge me the gentlemen put grease into the shaft and told me to drive around and if I continue to hear the noise when I brake then it is not coming from the shaft itself. It is very frustrating. I thought it was my rotors before I got them replaced on the jeep last week. I went into an empty lot and drove in circles to the left and right for a few minutes. It appears turning to the right there is a thumping noise but to the left it is normal. Someone has recommended me to change bothe front hub bearings as I allowed them to take a ride on the highway there was a humming noise coming from my right front wheel. Help this clanking noise is frustrating. I do tend to buy a used drive shaft wchich is cheaper then the dealer cost of over $500 for the part itself. Any feedback will be appreciated greatly. :(
  • mimi139mimi139 Member Posts: 9
    :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :(
  • kjintfkjintf Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I am new to this forum and hope I can get some advice
    Purchased My Jeep Overland new it now has 63K miles
    Guess it's not a lot for a 10 year old vehicle

During slow left turns mostly in parking lots I feel a shutter in the steering wheel and hear a clunk / chrunch noise from the front end. Checked all tie rod ends they are tight and look good.

Any and all suggestions for a fix would be greatly appreciated
  • bigfella1bigfella1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

i recently purchased a 2002 grand cheroke limited. has about 150,000km on the clock and i have a steering problem with the car....intermitently it will not turn left. i can turn the wheel to the full lock position when turning right but when i go to turn left it is as if the steering jams up. i then have to turn right and then back to the left and it will go all the way. makes a shocking noise as well. also a rattle noise is heard from the r/h/f at 50km-60km an hour.

does any of this sound familar to anyone? thanks.