Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TSX - Premium Fuel Required

studebaker59studebaker59 Member Posts: 1
My wife and I are considering the purchase of an Acura TSX. We like the size and comfort of the car, but I noticed that premium fuel is required.
I was wondering if all you TSX owners use the premium fuel OR can we use regular fuel in the car. Is knocking and pinging experienced when regular fuel us used?
Just curious.
Roger

Comments

• Options
    johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    If you're going to buy a TSX, plan on using premium fuel. If that's a problem, purchase something else.

And no, the engine won't ping on regular, as the ECU retards timing to compensate, which also reduces engine efficiency.
  • Options
    mrgold35mrgold35 Member Posts: 73
    You will get less performance, use more gas and increase the wear/tear on the engine using anything less than 91 octane consistently.

Here is the math:

15,000 miles per year @ 21 mpg avg = 714.3 gallons used (using 87 octane)
    15,000 miles per year @ 23 mpg avg = 652 gallons used (using 91 octane)

714.3 Gallons X $3.00 87 octane = $2,143 per year
    652 Gallons X $3.20 91 octane = $2,086.4 per year

Difference of $56.50 cheaper overall per year for 91 octane compared to 87 Octane (assuming you lose about 1 ½ to 2 mpg because of using a lower grade).

I would only use something less than 91 octane if you have no choice and need to fill up one tank. I had to use 90 octane in when traveling to Eastern New Mexico because that is all they had.
  • Options
    waiwai Member Posts: 325
    Besides losing mileage, it will lose some HP at hard acceleration by using 87. In NE, most stations only have 89 or 93 octane. Usually TSX drivers will just use 93.
  • Options
    ngvc1ngvc1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2012 4cyl TSX that hasn't seen a drop of 91 octane since the dealer's fill. It currently has only 3400 miles on the clock. I just returned fron a 1400 mile trip where, on one leg, I averaged 34.57 mpg while driving on cruise set at 74 mph. This is the third car I have owned where the owner's manual "recommended" premium gas and I have used "regular" with no problems. My trade for the TSX was a 6 cylinder Toyota that I ran for 97,000 miles. My wife is currently driving a 2002 TL with only 67,000 miles. Regarding performance loss, while on cruise set at 74 mph, I stepped down on the accelerator to pass a truck and hit over 80 mph with no problem. My plans are to continue using the cheaper blend and to enjoy the savings as well as the driving experience.
  • Options
    nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    When I first owned my 06 tsx I used premium fuel then switched to regular. Have driven in 42 states. Excellent gas mileage that handled the mountains of Colorado, Montaña in a snow storm very well. I bought this car new 11/06. Have all service done by acura dealers. It now has 141k+miles.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I love your updates nj - keep them coming.

I sold my TSX (Milano Red 6MT) in 2006, but I still remember it as one of my favorites of all the cars that I have owned over the years - and I've owned some good ones. It was also one of the few cars of mine that my wife really liked.

The styling, cockpit, control feel, and driving dynamics are still up there with the best in the segment. I really miss that beautiful instrument panel with the wood trim and luminescent gauges. Really classy.

If it had been RWD, I would probably still be driving it...
  • Options
    nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    I remember when the majority of vehicles has RWD. More and more people wanted FWD. Now it seems to be going back to wanting RwD