Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Braking Problems

Comments

• ppidgurskyppidgursky Member Posts: 2
    Well I figured it out....unfortunatly. Spoke to a couple mechanics and thier opion was Master cylinder.
    So, I changed it. When I did I noticed the seals on the calipers were melted out...COMPLETELY.... form the heat. So needless to say I changed the calipers. Works fine now. Looks like the master cylinder fried in turn causing the calibers to seize. And yes it was noth front wheels. This truck only has rear ABS, so I know that was not the issue.
    Thanks For Your Time..

Peter
  • paul86paul86 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 01 qc slt+ 2wd 4.7 auto and have gone through more front brakes in 80,000 miles than i should in 250,000 miles 1)factory 50,000
    2)drilled/slotted roters with titanium pads that wore through roters at 60,000
    3)cheap set from auto zone at 70,000, warped
    4)2nd cheap set [rabestos] at 80,000, now at 84,000 and i am getting constant squilling [stopping and driving]. as well as heavy grinding/vibration when i first start going after a stop that will disapear if i tap the brakes.it also does it now while stopping. any suggestions? thanks.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    There have been a lot of complaints about the factory rotors in the 2000-2003 vintage. Some in this forum have reported getting no more than 25K out of them. I see yours went 50K.

Assuming that your driving style has not changed in the last thirty-thousand miles, and you can get 50K out of factory brake components, then on the surface it looks like you are experiencing brake component material issues with the aftermarket stuff.

My 2003 Dak went 57K on the factory pads and rotors, and the pads still had plenty of miles left on them when they were changed out. The replacements were Mopar service line rotors and pads and I had to replace them just recently at 83K because of brake pulsing from hard spots. I probably could've cleaned this pair of rotors up, but I've had such bad luck with lathe turned rotors I just gave in and bought new. I was actually tempted to use the pads as they had about 80% left on them, but my Dodge dealer gives me enough break on parts that I didn't want to risk it.

I've noticed that the newer Mopar service line replacement rotors have a silver coating on them. I don't know if this is rust protection for shipping purposes, or what, but the technician at the dealership thinks they last longer.

Just as a point of reference, I know there are Dak owners who are convinced that the Dak has inherently short mileage brakes, and compared to some of my automobiles I'd be tempted to say the same thing. Most of my cars gave me better than 60K. My '93 Sentra went nearly 100K on the factory brakes.

But my two Chevy pick-up trucks gave up their front brakes pretty consistently at 40-50K, and our '99 Toyota Avalon didn't make 50K either. People I work with are reporting generally lower miles from front brakes on many trucks of different makes and models. One guy with a Titan has had three sets of front pads and rotors in less than 45K!

Anyway, my suggestion would be to inspect and clean the calipers and brake hardware. Pay close attention to the pad contact points on the brake adaptors. They get deep pits in them after a while that can cause the pads to hang up and drag. Of course, the calipers could be sticking causing the same thing (look for ripped or deteriorated piston seals), as well as a defective master cylinder or the rubber brake lines.

Good luck & best regards,
    Dusty
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I can attest to the words Dusty speaks 8-)

When replacing pads on ANY disk-brake system, you must take the time to file smooth the pad sliding surfaces. Otherwise, the new pads may bind up and give you all kinds of problems after awhile.

I went out and bought an new basterd file specifically to smooth out the sliding surfaces on my Dakota.... they were deeply gouged from the old pads and my old file was not up to the task.

Also, the quality-pads I purchased (Raybestos QS) came with Stainless Steel spacers which covered over the crusty, old contact points replacing them with ssmmootthh stainless steel sliders..
  • gtownguy2gtownguy2 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All, I have a 01 QC, 4x4,4.7 auto,4wd. I want to change the rear brake shoes. I notice parts list reference 2 sizes, (I only have the standard rwd antilocks). Do I have the 9" or the 11"????

Also, I notice on some other dodge sites people use different oil filter #'s that are larger, but still fit with threading and gasket size. Seems to me the larger filter would be better so long as the fit did not interfere with anything? Any thoughts???
    Hope Dusty and Bpeebles are having good luck with their trucks. I have about 87k. Hoping not to have any big $ probs. in the future?? Time will tell.

Thanks,
    Tom.
  • paul86paul86 Member Posts: 3
    thanks for writing back. dragging brakes would sound right. i failed to mention that i live in ct and drive in 95 traffic to work.stop and go followed by speed up to 50 only to slam on brakes. my factory roters and last set both warped, while rear brakes are fine.if its not the guides does anyone know how to diagnose master cylinder or balancing valve
    Hmmm. Nine-inch brakes on a Dak? From 2002 and up the only rear shoe size was 11-inch. I've done brake work on older Daks but I don't remember there being anything but one size. Maybe the four cylinder versions got 9-inch brakes, but I'm not sure that engine was available in 2001. I find it hard to believe they'd put 9-inch rear shoes on a Quad Cab anyways.

Since many oil filters use a standard thread and have approximately the same bypass valve cut-off pressures, a larger filter would obviously give you more capacity for holding contaminants. You need to be careful, though, since different filter models are designed for specific applications where oil flow rates or bypass pressures are different. This usually translates into the filter using a different media which handles greater flow rates by using a less fine material. Most filters trap 12-14 micron size particles, but some go down to 8, which is typical of newer Mopar designs.

Since I stick to regular oil changes I'm sure that my 4.7 motor is relatively clean, so the need for an increased size of filter is not desired. I would recommend that you check the spec's on any filter your considering before adopting its use.

My personal opinion is you shouldn't ever need a larger filter if you've maintained the engine properly and used the correct oil.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • ronslakie1ronslakie1 Member Posts: 57
    I have a 2K Dak CC, 4.7, 5 speed which I factory ordered. One of the options was 11" brakes with the 1800 lb payload for $40. If you didn't order these you got the standard 9" brakes. I'm not sure if this was the same for 2001 but I suspect that it was.
  • cubanskycubansky Member Posts: 8
    The front brakes locked and with great difficulty was able to drive home, the brakes and calipers were smoking.
    Lifted up the front end and could not move the tires by hand.
    I went after all the possibilities. I replaced the brake hoses and the o-ring and dust boots in the calipers. The rotors and pads were original with 85000 miles and the rotors were warped so I replaced them as well along with the pads.
    Took it for a spin and after a while they locked again. Replaced the master cylinder and flushed all the old fluid.
    Took it for a spin and after a while felt a little heavy so I lifted the front end and the tires are hard to turn by hand and felt hotter than usual.
    I'm considering replacing the calipers altogether cause I'm a little puzzled now.
    Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
    Robert
    my goodness - it is FARRR easire to simply replace the calipers instead of trying to rebuild them with new dust boots.

I can attest that both of my front calipers behaved like yours... when they heated up, they seazed the pads to the rotors.

After cooling off, they seemed OK for about 10 miles.

My rebuilt calipers are BETTER quality than the originals. (The originals use a non-metallic piston.)

Also, one MUST MUST MUST replace brake fluid at least every 2 years due to moisture in the hydrolic system.... lest suffer the fate of replacing calipers due to internal rust.
    Well Well Well, you live and learn!... I should have known better. But motivated by my 25 years as an aircraft mechanic where you rebuild almost everything and the hope of saving $1oo. dollars I desided to rebuild the calipers by changing the o-ring and dust boot which was not hard to do at all but it did not work.
    I replaced the calipers and now it works fine.
    Thanks for the reply it's greatly appreciated.
    I'm glad I came across this web site,I think is awesome.
    Thanks again
    Robert
    Ah ha! You are accustomed to aircraft components that are made of high-quality materials and are designed to be rebuilt many times.

Modern automotive brake calipers are built as cheaply as possible with the lowest-cost materials that will barely do the job.

In my many years of doing my own brake-work. I sense that Chrysler has been notorious for using the very cheapest of materials. Even my old AMC Eagle had Chrysler brake-calipers on it that even Chrysler did not want to use on their own vehicles.

I have found that the brake caliper design and components on my old Nissan pickup truck may have been the best I have ever seen.

The main positive thing I can say about Dodge-Chrysler brake components is that spare parts are plentiful and relativly inexpensive. (as compared to some other brands)

Here is a photo I snapped of some Powerslot Rotors after just 3 Vermont winters. (The originals lasted only 2 winters) The astute observer will see that there are 2 sets of pads in that photo. It did not save me any money to install cheep components... they were junk. The surface of the pads started to transfer to the rotors!!! (I did expect better from Powerslot-brand rotors)

On my Dakota... after replacing pads/rotors and calipers with HIGH QUALITY components (Bendix and Raybestos)... It has been trouble-free thru many Vermont winters.
  • gugertmkgugertmk Member Posts: 1
    My ABS and Brake light both light after about 10 secs above 65mph and stay lit.
  • tjfitztjfitz Member Posts: 41
    This morning it was 4 degrees, F, and I drove my 1990 Dakota around the block. At a stop sign, I put on the parking brake. When the way was clear, I pulled the brake release handle and it flew off in my hand and landed on the seatback. Luckily the brake had released. I rang our local Dodge dealer and learned a new plastic handle costs $25! I could have gone to one of the local auto junk yards, but its just too cold to struggle out in some frosty back lot trying to get the handle off a junked Dakota and anyway the handle I would get might already be brittle and ready to fail. So I bit the bullet and told the dealer to get one for me.

I suppose the lesson to be learned here is to be careful not to jerk the handle when releasing the brake, especially in cold weather.

Can anyone tell me how big a job it is to replace the handle?
  • moquelvogmoquelvog Member Posts: 21
    I recently had to avoid an accident by slamming on my brakes and swerving off the road. About an hour after that, my ABS light came on and I can't get it to go away. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the brakes. I have a 97 5.2L Dakota and I know that there are 3 ABS sensors on it, two up front and one in the rear. Is there a way to tell which one is bad... if any? Any other solutions?

Thanks
  • slimm1slimm1 Member Posts: 1
    the truck operates fine for about 10-15 miles then when i reach 55-60mph the truck is fighting itself to move. the pedal gets extremely firm and the truck vibrates excessively when braking. the driver side caliper seized completely up about three weeks ago, so i replaced the master cylinder (twice), the driver side caliper and brake hoses on both sides. the problem keeps returning. the above parts have been replaced about a week apart from each other. should have i replaced both calipers??? :confuse:
    sounds to me as if the vacuum booster is "sucking" the brake pedal down and applying the brakes. You have been replacing the WRONG parts... it is not the master-cylinder... the problem is the vacuum booser (or its plumbing)
  • tonemantoneman Member Posts: 1
    i am doing a front end break job on my 2002 dodge dakota. i have depresssed the piston with a c clamp. my repair manual sas that i need to remove the mounting pins. i have located two monuting pins, but how do i remove them. they look like they have a rubber dust boot covering them. do i need to remove that too?
    If I understand your question... if you feel INSIDE the end of those pins, you will find that the end of each of the pins has a Hex-wrench fitting. You need to install into your ratchit the proper-sized hex-wrench. Then loosen the pins.

It is often best to pull the pins back just a bit (perhaps 1/2 inch) instead of removing them completely. This protects from dirt gettting into the sliding surfaces.

The pins slide inside those rubber boots as the pads wear down to keep the caliper centered on the rotor. This is known as a "fully floating" caliper design because the caliper is said to hover or "float" the pads over the surface of the rotor.

BTW: How the heck did you compress the piston BEFORE losening the pins and removing the caliper????

The usual process for Dakota brakes is;
    1) Losen guidepins and pull them back a tad.
    2) Work caliper off of rotor (including pads)
    3) Remove pads from rotor
    4) Install used pad backward and use C-clamp against it to compress piston. (WATCH TANK FOR OVERFLOW!!)
    5) File smooth the surfaces which the pads slide against.
    6) Apply hi-temp lube to same surfaces. (quality pads come with lube and stainless-steel sliders)
    7) Install new pads into caliper.
    8) Slide caliper over rotor.
    9)make certain guidepins are NOT cross-threaded.
    10) USE TORQUE-WRENCH to finalize toque on guidepins.

NOTE: Some folks prefer to only loosen ONE of the guidepins and then rotate the caliper off the rotor using the other guidepin as a pivot-point.
  • latonicklatonick Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    My 98 dakota 4wd 3.9 is giving me a hard time. Most of my driving is short distance around town. Occasionally (especially if I've been on a longer trip than usual), as I come to a stop, one of the fronts will just grab and lock up. I've replaced both calipers and the pads, but not the rotors (they don't produce the pulsation I'd normally associate with warped/distorted discs). There are times when I do feel pulsation as I come to a stop, but I can't understand how with warped rotors this wouldn't be present all the time. Regarding the slide surfaces, I figured with fresh calipers I should be good, although if I remember correctly, one of the slide surfaces is on the knuckle/spindle assembly, not the caliper itself. I didn't file down these surfaces (yet).
    Does it sound to you guys like uneven slide surfaces could be my problem? There have been times when they were grabby just after I got off the interstate when I wanted to blame the power booster (a high vacuum state?)... Hoping Bpeebles or Dustyk can help me out with this one, before I pull my hair out! Thanks in advance!

James
    Hi james, check the sliding surface by all means, look for any wear marks or grooves. small stuff you can correct with a file.
    As for the calipers locking up, are they both locking ? if so, I would be looking at the brake master cylinder as the cause of this problem.
    On my 2002 quad cab both fronts would lock and then release after about 15 minutes. I went to the dealer for answers since I had never encountered that in 30 years of driving. The mechanic said it was the brake hoses. against my better judgement with my 26 years as an aviation mechanic I fell for it ( I can see one side failing with a callapsed hose but not both at the same time with separate hoses) but that was not the problem.
    I ended up replacing the master cylinder which had caused both calipers to fail and fry. I also replaced the rotors that were warped with by .010 " and I could feel it in the steering wheel everytime I would hit the brakes.
    A problem with the booster would probably make the brake pedal feel quite hard.
    Good luck and keep us posted of the progress.
    Robert
    Grabby brakes can usually be traced to contamination on the rotor-surface. Given your description, I wonder if the front bearing is thowing grease at the rotor while on a long trip. This would cause grabby brake.

I assume you have already done the "feel test" to see if he lugnuts are hot to the touch after driving on the highway for awhile. (lugnuts SHOULD be almost ambient temp.... never more than slightly warm)
    Hi Robert,
    Thanks for your reply. Both sides will lock up, but not at the same time. I've thought about replacing the brake hoses, but can't wrap my head around how worn hoses could create increased hydraulic pressure... Sounds like your master cylinder got to a point where it just wouldn't release? My fronts will release ok, just grabby as heck (but not all the time). I may pull the wheels off in the next couple days and give some close inspection to those sliding surfaces. Maybe I'll even grab some fresh rotors, I'm running out of parts to replace (ones that make sense, anyway).

Thanks for your help, and I'll post back whatever I find.

James
    bpeebles,
    Thanks for responding. I'm feeling a little stupid for not having done the "feel test", just never had the idea that there was any dragging going on while I was moving. Will try this today and report back. I suppose if I find the lugnuts are warm (and the calipers just replaced) this would indicate rotor distortion or possible master cylinder not releasing (like cubansky's problem)?

Again, thank you guys for the help...

James
    Well yesterday I finally remembered to do the "feel test" on the lugnuts, this was just after a short trip to the store, during which the brakes didn't act grabby. The lugnuts were maybe just slightly warmer than ambient temp, but I reached in and touched the rotors and had to get off of them pretty fast cause they were nice and hot (both sides).
    In the past I've only replaced rotors when they give a consistent pulsating feel when brakes are applied, but I'm starting to think I should throw some fresh rotors on there just to see what happens. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    James
    There is no need to replace the rotors if the calipers are dragging.

NOTE: this may not be the fault of the calipers. If BOTH sides are dragging, then suspect the brake-booster on the master-cylinder or perhaps the ABS system is acting up.

Most often grabby brakes on ALL the wheels is caused by a faulty brake-booster.

Dont forget that the rotors are expected to be hot if you just used the brakes. Did you perform the "feel test" after running on highway and coming to stop with mininal use of the brakes? (I dp the "feel test" after coasting into a rest-area and use the emergancy brake to come to a stop... but you have to know what you are doing!)
  • moquelvogmoquelvog Member Posts: 21
    Hey guys- I got a shop to tell me that my ABS light is being caused by a faulty rear wheel speed sensor. Looking at my Haynes, I see that it is in my rear diff, but there isn't a procedure to change it out. Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Omen

BTW, 97 Dak 4x4 5.2L
    disconnect wire - unscrew it.
  • armando166armando166 Member Posts: 1
    a couple of weeks ago I started to notice that whenever I tried to make a sudden stop my rear wheels would block completely...I though it would just go away with a couple of pumps on the brake....three days ago I was on the freeway and had to make a sudden stop due to an accident...at 75mph my wheels locked completely then started to lossen then lock back up again like if I were pumping really hard on the brakes, I had to get out of the road to avoid slaming into the stopped cars...can anybody give me a hand on this? :confuse:
    You did not say if your Dak has RWABS (Rear Wheel Antilock Braking System) but from your description, it sounds as if you may.

Are you certain that BOTH of the rear wheels are locking up? If so, suspect the RWALB, speed-sensor (screwed into rear diff housing), proportioning valve, and tire size. (If you do not have EXACTLY the proper size tires installed as from the factory, the RWABS system may act up.)
  • huckelhuckel Member Posts: 1
    Anyone else having this brake problem with their truck? First the brakes felt like an ABSproblem with no ABS lite coming on just the jerky shudder when slowing down. Now the ABS and park brake lites are both on and the brake pedal is very soft almost to the point of having to pump the brakes to stop. Resevoir is still full to the top and no signs of a cylinder leaking. Huckel
  • rudy616rudy616 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem, I just bought a 2005 Dakota 4x2 and when the brakes are applied at a high rate of speed (60-70mph) the front end starts jumping. The front end will also vibrate between 55 and 60 mph, had the tires balanced and rotated but this did not correct the vibration problem.
    Rudy
  • 01dak01dak Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 Dakota 4.7L. I noticed that the rotor on the passenger side was worn oddly. Therefore I want to replace the rotors and pads. I have limited knowledge of vehicular repair. Is this something I will want to try to do myself? Or is it better left to the pros?
    Replacing rotors/pads is not a difficult task.. but I would not suggest tackling it without knowledge/tools and a buddy that has done it before.

If any work needs to be done to the hydrolic system. (like bleeding), it is better to have some knowledge of what you are doing.

Keep in mind that brakes are an important safety feature on your Dak. and we dont want anyone to get hurt (or worse).

When you pay somone to do it... they also assume liability and provide a warantee too. (You are not just paying for parts and labor)
  • 01dak01dak Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the advice
  • 1jim1jim Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Dakota with 60225 miles on odometer, at 60000, the chec engine lite came on. Within 1 week both brake and ABS lites on dash came on. Truck brakes OK, master cylinder is full and there are no leaks. Any ideas? Thank you. Jim
    Did you "pull the codes" from the onboard diagnostics? (review forum history (use search button) for procedure)
  • mike0071mike0071 Member Posts: 1
    anyone ever had a problem with the ABS light coming on at around 40 or 45mph i have a 2000 dakota
    My guess would be that you have a weak Speed Sensor in the rear differential housing. These are easily replaced from outside the axle housing, one bolt attaches it.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • bone5bone5 Member Posts: 5
    I replaced the speed sensor in the differential. still get a ABS and brake light after driving a few miles. any ideas on next move? ABS and brake light will sometimes come on if the truck is just idling in the driveway. front rotors have been turned down very thin could this be the problem?
    Have you checked the brake fluid level in the master cylinder?

Dusty
    Yes. The level is good. The brakes are pretty touchy sometimes, especially when you first start up.
    "Touchy" brakes often point to an issue with the vacuum-booster.

If a single wheel is locking up (touchy), then check for brake-fluid leaking on to the rotor/drum.
  • THAMESTHAMES Member Posts: 1
    2003 club cab, 4.7, auto, 70,000 loving mi (used as car), 4 wheel disk w/antilock.

With normal driving, I have an intermitant pulsation when stopping. This has varing intensity and comes and goes with different stops on the same trip. I only feel this pulsation in the "seat of my pants", not in the steering wheel. Stops straight with normal pedal pressure.

I have disasembled and looked at: rotors; clean & smooth -- pads; factory, thick, clean & smooth -- calipers; dry, pistons free -- fluid; clean & full.

I'm at a loss, HELP.

Thanks, Dave
    Will brake booster problems cause the brake and ABS lights to come on? How can you check the booster to see if it's the problem?
    Your symptoms are typical of rotors that have developed hard spots. As the pad moves ove the rotor surface during brake application, the pad travels over a small section that effectively has a much different surface friction value, changing the speed of the vehicle. This delivers a sensation different than a rotor that is warped or has run-out, which is always felt through the brake pedal or the steering wheel.

Despite the appearance of the rotor surface, I would recommend replacing the rotors, especially if they have 70,000 miles on them.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • nhdodgeguynhdodgeguy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota SLT and just replaced my caliper. rotors and pads. we boled the brakes 4-5 times and stil the brake and ABS lights come on and I still have no brakes. Can someone help me????
    Obviously you have not purged out all of air from the hydrolic system.

Did you allow it to run totally dry (Air got in)? If so, then you may need to perform special steps to get the air out of the ABS pump and accumulator.

Also, what technique did you use to bleed the system?
    1) Pressure-bleeding?
    2)Vacuum-bleeding?
    3) Manual pump-the-pedal process?
  • ch4bsch4bs Member Posts: 1
    I have a Dodge Dakota Quad cab that I had to have the rear end changed. My mechanic (I believe) installed a rear from a Dakota that was not a quad cab. The hubs on this one are smaller than the hubs that were originally on the truck. The rear brakes now squeak when going down hill or there is a load on the truck. He tells me that the different rear with the smaller hubs should not make a difference.
    Is this correct and/or is there a fix for this other than the rear being changed again?
    Sqeeking drum brakes should not be considerd "problem" especially on a truck. My Dak brakes sqeeked for most of the 95K miles I owned it.

I may be costly to get rid of squeek and you will not have any better stopping-power... I suggest you ignore it and be happy.