Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• Options
    avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    I don't know where the service advisor (I presume it was the service advisor) got the idea to not run premium gas. Perhaps they could show you a service bulletin that specifically states that you should not use premium gas????
  • Options
    pmagganpmaggan Member Posts: 62
    Premium fuel is a waste of money in vehicles that do not specifically require it. But don't take my word for it. See:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_- - - id=3604&page_number=1
    FWIW, my previous vehicle, a '92 BMW 750iL (12 cylinder), returned 2 mpg better with regular unleaded than with premium. The car did not require premium per BMW, but when I bought the car I figured it should get premium. After talking to other owners, I was convinced to move back to regular fuel. I'm glad I did.
  • Options
    There is a difference between no noticeable benefit and contraindication. There is a viable argument for say, a tank a month of a high detergent premium (like Chevron Supreme) to clean intake valves of deposits (and in doing so, be able to avoid a decarbonization process at $100+ each time). My understanding was that the service advisor specifically recommended against running even a tank a month of premium.

In such a circumstance, I like to get an authoritative statement in writing (such as a TSB) as opposed to one's opinion.
  • Options
    orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    I've heard from several sources Chevron is one of the better gasolines to run, but there was little difference in the detergents of the reg vs. premium Chevron.
    I run a lot of Chevron reg in my 2001 Denali and getting very decent mileage. Just returned from a weekend to my cousin's on Harstine Is.; about 90% hwy, but it was hot running the AC and 70mph for the most part, I got 17.4mpg(17.3 on the DIC)
    I haven't tried comparing running reg with premium, but see no need.
  • Options
    waitingonyukonwaitingonyukon Member Posts: 28
    Has anyone ever had this come on? Just had an oil change and tire rotate and while heading home, I got this light. Could it be something they did during the tire rotate? Also, they told me I should have my FT & Rear Diff Flush, Transfer Case Flush and Trans Flush. This is 2001 Denali with 42k miles. Should these need to be done already? Thanks, Doug
  • Options
    proudnjcopproudnjcop Member Posts: 7
    I just recently purchased a 2003 Denali, after finding out about this message board, of course! Just curious as to whether anyone is aware of how good or bad a deal it may have been. Its sticker price was $51,125, sunroof was the only option. I was able to get the vehicle for $44,317 + tax with an additional $1000 cash back after tax was added. I utilized the 0% financing so the $3000 cash back was not available. How does this sound to anyone who has recently negotiated or purchased a new Denali? I am in the NJ/NY area if that makes any difference.
  • Options
    An alternative to running Chevron Premium on a once a month basis is adding a bottle of Techron additive on a regular basis. This is my approach. Since Chevron fuel is not available here in SW Ohio, I use the Chevron Techron additive once every 5,000 miles. Details here:

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuels/techrongas/faq.shtml
  • Options
    orwoody, the principal difference between the detergents in Chevron's 87 octane and 91 octane gasoline is the quantity of detergent in each. Otherwise, Techron is Techron. Personally, I use the 89 octane mid-grade Chevron gasoline.
  • Options
    jvigiljvigil Member Posts: 2
    Just today I was driving my Denali on the freeway and it just died. I had no power or anything. I coasted down the off ramp and made it to a safe spot. Has this happen to anyone? The tow truck driver thought maybe it was the fuel pump. Any advice would be great. It is at a shop right now and they are going to look at it in the morning. Thanks!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might want to check out the GMC Yukon Denali Problems discussion.

tidester, host
  • Options
    03yukon03yukon Member Posts: 1
    After a trip to Denver and one to the beach, I have a few comments for those thinking of buying a denali and the nav package. It's extremely accurate and provides good directions, but the joystick to select characters and control the system is extremely cumbersome. I grew up during the computer game age but still select the wrong letter at times. A touch screen is really needed! Also, the inability (Could not find in setup) to search points of interest or change destinations while the truck is in motion is frustrating.

The clock on the NAV is satellite based, but your required to cycle the power on the vehicle after changing time zones for the change to take effect. Another irritating pain when traveling from St. Louis to Denver. Another unusual ‘feature’ of the NAV system is that the 6-disk changer cannot be used by the second row while another source is playing thru the main system. This requires the removal of the NAV disk to insert a cd for your child in the back so you can listen to the ballgame. This results in you pulling over at Walmart and purchasing a $35 player for your child since your $2000 system can’t handle it.

I know this sounds only like complaints, but if you’re about to purchase one it’s nice to know the areas you might have issues with. Most of my annoyances are in the NAV system so if your willing to drop the cool factor, buy the Rand McNally and put the $2k somewhere else. My daily driver car is a GS400 from Lexus and while I believe it’s a great car its far from perfect and has annoyances just like many other cars. Overall this is a great rig and after test-driving many SUV’s, we thought this won hands down
  • Options
    scuz2scuz2 Member Posts: 6
    We're considering the purchase of a 2003 Denali XL. The 2003 has about $4000 in rebates and I can buy at the GM supplier price. An XL with Nav and DVD stickers for about $55K and I've been quoted about $44K not including taxes. Am I leaving any money on the table?

Any major changes coming in 2004?
  • Options
    erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    I missed not having a rear cargo mat where I could throw my wet muddy clothes (after mtn. biking) without getting the rear carpet filthy. Since I have the short wheelbase Denali, most mats require you to remove the rear seats to use. Since I like having my cake and eating it too, I got a factory GM cargo tray (around $70) and made cut outs in the try to line up with the latches on the third row so that the third row seats can now be attached to their floor anchors with the mat in place. Since the tray only goes as far as the front seat bracket, it does not intrude into the footwell for the third row passengers. While I do have cutouts for the latch and hence have lost the ability to trap "big spills", it catches the sand and mud and is easily removed for shaking out.
  • Options
    pilkopilko Member Posts: 22
    My 2003 Denali has started dripping water into the passenger footwell. I tried to check the drain but it is a psin to get at so I thought I would have a look through the filters. Well there aren't any and no access panel.

Does anyone know if GM deleted the cabin air filters for 2003 or have they moved. If they are deleted it is clear GM is not interested in offering better products, just cheaper ones.
  • Options
    Just another opinion on premium vs. regular fuel in today's USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-07-30-premiumgas_x.htm
  • Options
    While the premise of the USA Today article (that modern engines can adapt to even 87 octane gasoline) is true, there is more to the issue than just running on 87 octane. While an engine with a 10.1 to 1 compression ratio can be made to run on 87 octane, the performance will be nowhere near that of an identical engine being fed 91 octane.

A separate issue that was not touched on by the article was detergent content. Higher octane gasoline typically has a higher detergent content. Higher detergent content results in a greater ability to avoid carbon build-up on the intake valves. Carbon build-up on the intake valves if not cleaned periodically, will result in drivability problems such as stalling.

While I am not advocating running premium in the Vortec engine, I do think that periodic usage of premium can be beneficial for intake valve deposit cleaning purposes. As to the precise ratio between tanks of 87 octane to tanks of 91 octane, I do not presume to have that answer.

What I have ended up doing is a compromise - I run the mid (89) grade gasoline in my Denali. In my 2001 Denali, over two years and 24,000 miles, I had no problems with stalling. I plan on following the same formula with my 2003 Denali (don't change what has worked in the past...).
  • Options
    I've got nearly 40k on my 2001 Denali and never had a hiccup, ping or knock. I run 87 octane; mostly Chevron, but I do get Conoco during most of my road trips through WA, ID and MT.
    FYI: I left my Business trip log on the DIC running for about the last 20k miles: AMPG = 15.4 @ AMPH = 36.3. This pretty much is on par with what I get in my daily commute which is about 70% hwy/30% street.
  • Options
    yukongoldyukongold Member Posts: 20
    I am in the market for either an XL or DXL & it sounds like the O3 is the way to go as far as the incentives go. I will be getting rid of my 01 Yukon with 88,000 miles.

Doesn anyone here know about turning assist on all four wheels ? That may not be what it is called. I had a Suburban rental that was incredible - the turning radias was just like a car !!!! I called the dealer & they didn't know much about it ???? Is it available for 03?

Any thoughts on XL versus DXL?

Another question about ONSTAR changing it's communication format & will only work for a few more years. I can't remember where I heard or read that - any one know more info?

Thanks!
  • Options
    The 4 wheel steering is called Quadrasteer by GM.

I received something from On-Star or maybe it was in their magazine (which I can't find right now as per Murphy's law) discussing that the support for analog communications systems was likely not going to be supported after 2006 I think it was. Digital overwhelmingly dominates the market and On-Star was developed as an analog system. They said they are working on some solutions, but...
  • Options
    yukongold, Quadrasteer is available on the Yukon XL for 2003 (but not on any version of the Denali for 2003). While being able to have a turning circle of 36.5 feet curb-to-curb is neat, unless you have a compelling reason to need a tight turning circle, the Denali could be a better choice (better ride for starters).
  • Options
    orwoody, even though OnStar presently is an analog service, I personally have not been disappointed. One item to consider is access - if everyone else is on digital service, the chance of not getting an available cellular channel is reduced. There have been times when I would be stopped in traffic (actually, crawling at less than walking speed) and I could not get an available channel on my digital service. Pressing the OnStar button got me connected every time. (And there have been some times where there was no coverage for digital yet good old analog got through....)
  • Options
    donahuesdonahues Member Posts: 36
    Just noticed that the hood and lift gate on my 02 Denali are a plastic like material. What is the driving force behind this (weight/fuel or cost?)? I guess I understand the need for a lower weight lift gate, but not sure about the hood. Is this common for newer autos? Advantages/disadvantages?
  • Options
    Not quite sure what you mean about plastic pieces. From the factory, the hood is sheetmetal and the liftgate is made of aluminum (weight savings and convenience to open/close).

What speed does your Denali idle at? I noticed that my Denali is idling a little under 500 rpm (tach readout) and sometimes appears to have a slight hesitation/rough idle. Earlier postings mention some throttle body issues; do the gaskets develop vacuum leaks on the throttle body? Is there a DIY fix for this? I was going to wait for it to get worse so that it will repeat itself at a dealership. This is on a Denali with 43k miles.
  • Options
    I stand corrected. Hood is metal as verified by the magnet test. Seemed a very different feel than sheet metal. Lift gate is aluminum as I had always thought. That too had a differnt feel than panels and it threw me for a bit.
  • Options
    hammer1995hammer1995 Member Posts: 4
    I'm experiencing the same thing on my Denali. I bought it used, but had a warranty history report ran prior to purchase and the throttle body has already been changed.
  • Options
    Analog is still supported in most areas of the country, but may not be in a few years - then the system won't work - ziltch. i found this clip - the year is Feb 2008 according to it. I just renewed mine for another 3 years. I didn't say the service was bad - only it was phasing out. In some areas of the country it is hard to get the an log coverage.
    "Topic: Federal Ruling
    Summary: Recently, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruled that wireless carriers will no longer be required to support the analog wireless network after February 16, 2008. After that, if the carriers for OnStar elect to provide only digital service, beginning Feb. 16, 2008, OnStar service will only be available through dual-mode (analog/digital) hardware. As of June 2003, all OnStar systems utilize analog-only hardware. From the beginning, OnStar has relied on a nationwide analog wireless network to provide communication to and from OnStar-equipped vehicles."
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see what OnStar does about 2008. The number of analog OnStar systems is not shrinking and personal calling is a significant revenue item for OnStar. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    I looked over on the Tahoe board and searched the net and saw numerous references to the rough idle on Vortec engines (4.8,5.3,6.0) and there seems to be a number of theories why this occurs. One idea is that the engine runs lean for low emissions at idle and this causes a slightly rough idle when the engine is warm. There has been mentioning of replacing throttle bodies, but this does not seem to remedy the problem in every case. On one board I did find some encouragement from people replacing the factory platinum tipped plugs with a variety of other spark plugs resulting in a smoother idle (better performance). Anyone replaced the plugs on their Vortec have any comments?
  • Options
    When it happens, mine seems to idle about 450 rpm. I was going to try some Techron fuel injector cleaner and see if that helps. Mine does it sporadically. It doesn't seem to matter if its warm or cold.
  • Options
    I just ran a bottle of Techron cleaner but still notice an ever so slight rough idle. I am at 18k miles.
  • Options
    with 18k miles now on my '02 Denali
    all DIC calculated figures:

trip summary:
    15.3 mpg
    2383 miles
    51.7 amph
    155.4 gallons used
    mostly open highway (but some construction, mountain and canyon, etc., all with A/C, 85%+ highway driving)

best leg:
    17 mpg
    57.1 amph
    347.5 miles
    included mountain passes (Denver to Utah)

fastest leg:
    16.5 mpg
    72.5 amph
    256.9 miles

ethanol summer blend (MN fuel, not E87)
    14.6 mpg
    68.9 amph
    288 miles
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I changed to the following:

http://www.torquemaster.com/

http://www.magnecor.com

No rough idle for me.
  • Options
    cdnrx2cdnrx2 Member Posts: 3
    Read some of the earlier posts regarding cold start knocking but have not seen anything recently. Any final word on the problem? Has GM issued a TSB on the problem? Has anyone with higher mileage 6L motors experienced breakdowns or repairs as a result of the noise.

What about rough Idle. I had a problem that appeared to be cured with fuel injector cleaner but I still feel a slight surging or maybe a jumpy throttle at low speeds. Is there a TSB relating to this problem? Seems like several members have experienced similar surging idle problems.
  • Options
    jkpsarasjkpsaras Member Posts: 29
    My 2001 had a rough idle, about 450RMP. Engine seemed like it was going to stall, power steering would cut in and out, and the AC compressor would cycle off.
    Took it into the dealer and they took care of the issue. On my receipt...
    "Run Diag. Throttle Actuator Signal Dropping In & Out. Replace Throttle Actuator."
  • Options
    First let me say thanks for the responses regarding the rough idle issue. My second concern is the noise of the climate control fan. When the a/c is on max recirc, it's very noisy. If I take it off recirc, the noise is less inside, but seems to be directed ouutside. Anyone had anything like this, or is this normal? It's not just wind speed, it sounds more like the fan is hitting something like plastic.

I purchased my 01 YDXL with 43000 miles, so I have no warranty. How can you tell if a TSB will be covered by GM on an out of warranty vehicle. Or, is it simply the owner's problem once the warranty runs out.
  • Options
    cdnrx2cdnrx2 Member Posts: 3
    Hammer1995. It's normal for the fan to sound louder when in recirculate mode because the damper to the oudside air intake is closed thus increasing air pressure in the air exchanger. The hitting plastic noise is not normal. Maybe you have a warped door within the heat exchanger mechanism that makes contact with the fan blade when your AC is on recirculate. There have been many posts regarding leaking air exchange problems and GM has several TSB's that the dealer can refer to. I still have a problem with a whistle sound in cold weather which I think is a similar although not as sever warpage of the door within the heat exchange mechanism.

Anyone care to respond the the cold start knocking issue??????
  • Options
    GM has TSB on the cold knock on Vortec engines. I think the official policy is that this is 'normal' for these engines and it has no adverse affect on the durability/reliability. I have not seen any data to suggest that durability/reliability is compromised by the noise, but this engine design is only a few years old, so time may reveal something else. This engine has great performance and efficiency characteristics, it's too bad GM did not go the extra mile to add the level of refinement found in competitive engines.
  • Options
    bberisford1bberisford1 Member Posts: 18
    On my 03 DYXL, I frequently get a harsh knock for a fraction of a second just at the instant the engine catches on start up. The knock sounds like classic pre-ignition..... the sound of marbles rattling in a coffee can. Started pretty much from new.... now have 4500 miles.

This sound is definitely NOT like the classic piston slap which is one or two per rev deep raping sound that lasts for 15 or more seconds. I've had that on previous 5.3L and 5.7L vehicles.

The dealer noted my problem and has advised we monitor it.

I'm puzzled !!

Barry
  • Options
    mjwillsmjwills Member Posts: 46
    My 02 also experiences the low idle and surging of power (especially with the AC on). When stopping or turning (car out of balance) when the climate control is on I hear the sound of a fan blade hitting something. I am going to the dealer in the next couple weeks and will post the results.
  • Options
    Anyone else experiencing alternator whine through their BOSE system? Any resolutions?
  • Options
    juice22juice22 Member Posts: 29
    This is my first post to this board. I am in the Atlanta GA. Area. My history is I have followed (and enjoyed) the board since I purchased my 2002 Denali (Shorty) in June of 2002. Anyway, since new, I have had many problems. They are as follows:

1. Front end gear noise
    2. All interior lights flicker at idle
    3. Tranny hesitates when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear
    4. When leaving a red light, the tranny will sometimes fall out of gear, free rev the engine, and then bang in to gear (this is horrible for a AWD vehicle)

However, the main problem I am claiming is the gear noise from the front axel because I can duplicate the noise every time. It drives me crazy!!!! GM kept my vehicle in the shop over 50 days and spent over $8,000 of GM’s money to fix. Nevertheless, they have yet to fix the problem. Finally, the Area Svc Mgr (I am in Atlanta, GA.) drove my truck and said it is supposed to make that noise. YEAH RIGHT! It is funny that the svc dept hears the noise and attempts to fix but he claims that the noise is normal. I disagreed and began the BBB Auto Line process. I am set to arbitrate on the 26th of August. Do you have any suggestions? Also, I took my truck to another dealership and acted like I knew nothing about cars and asked them to test drive. They drove it and put in writing that there is something wrong with the front end. Was this a good move to prove to the arbitrator?

Any feedback from anyone would be helpful!!!

Thanks in advance for everyone help!
  • Options
    cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    My Denali had the same problem. Very frustrating since I bought it new and noticed the noise the day I picked it up from the dealer. Service dept. ended up calling GM engineering and traced the problem to a bad wiring harness, which was repaired instead of replaced. The entire center console needed to be removed.

In doing so, they made a tear on one of the leather seats and failed to re-attach the center storage bin lamp. Service dept. couldn't "recreate the problem" regarding that lamp. I ended up disassembling the bin/console myself to find the lamp assembly tucked away where it didn't belong.

Let me know how your repair goes.
  • Options
    Can you describe the conditions when the transmission hesitation occurs on your truck - light or heavy throttle? all the time or sporadically? warm or cold temp? Can you also describe the conditions when it slips out of and back into gear?

I had the trans on my '02 Denali replaced when it was only a week old. It still doesn't feel right to me.

Thanks!
  • Options
    I could go on for days about the problems but I will try to keep it to the point! I, like you, have a 2002 Denali. My tranny details are as follows:

1. Tranny hesitates when shifting form 1st to 2nd:
    a. Happens when cold and at normal operating temps
    b. Only happens under light throttle (never under hard acceleration)
    c. Feels as if it wants to shift in to 2nd by learching back and forth but doesn’t
    d. It stops once in 2nd gear
    e. Summary, GM claimed that the clutches were slipping in the rear end. They drained the rear end and filled with new oil and additive. This did not solve the problem.

2. Tranny falls out of gear and slams back in gear:
    a. Does not happen all the time.
    b. Only happens after fully warm and have been driven for a while.
    c. It always happens at red lights. The light turns green; I hit the gas (with it in gear of course) the engine free reves and suddenly bangs in to gear. I always look in my rear view to see if I left any tranny parts on the road.
    d. Please note: If it ever happens as I attempt to merge in front of traffic I will either blow up the engine or tranny due to hard acceleration.
    e. Summary, GM cannot duplicate the problem so they have not fixed. Nevertheless, they claim that there is a TSB out there.

I love the truck; I hate the problems. Why did you have the tranny changed in your truck? Please explain. Also, do you have problems with front gear noise of pulsing lights?

I could go on all day but will not bore everyone!!!
  • Options
    During the first few days I had my truck, it would "slam" into first gear from rest like you described. Happened randomly. On its first long-distance highway trip, it was slipping between gear shifts and wouldn't go into fourth gear. I checked the trans fluid level and found it low. The dealer did diagnose clutch slippage and ordered a new trans. Took a little over 2 weeks before I got it back.

I have 18K miles on the truck now and on rare occasions it does hesitate during the 1-2 shift.

I feel the same way - I love the truck but hate the problems (I still have others).

Good luck to you!
  • Options
    #noname#noname Member Posts: 58
    Trip last week from Annapolis, Md to St Louis, Mo.

Annapolis to Wheeling, WV. 16.1mpg, speeds 65-70.

Wheeling to St Louis, 17.0mpg speeds 75. (lots more level ground).

All from DIC on '03 YDXL, 3 adults, 2 little ones, rear full to roof.

Barry
  • Options
    dietoselfdietoself Member Posts: 5
    I am an idiot. I assumed (from reading a review) that the 2003 Denali had Telescopic Steering, prior to buying one. Wrong! What a mistake! Even when I lower the pedals to the floor and move the seat forward - I still don't get the desired steering wheel position I would have with any other vehicle with a $51,000 MSRP (which obviously would have telescopic steering).
  • Options
    I have a 2002 Denali that has a problem with the front axel whining. Has anybody with the same problem had GM perform the following fix?

TSB: 03-04-17-005
    · Replace the front propeller shaft with an internally tuned dampened shaft*

If so, please respond back and let me know what the results were. This seems to be a “Cover Up” solution. Why would the “front end” gears whine while the “rear end” gears are quite? I can’t seem to figure it out and neither can GM.

As always, thank you for the feedback.
  • Options
    csi35csi35 Member Posts: 28
    My 2002 front axel disintegrated at 4000 miles. Almost everything under the hood was replaced by GMC. Now no problem and no noise. It appears factory and dealer didn't check front or rear axel fluid levels.
  • Options
    lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    I am looking for TSB 02-05-26-002 on the parking brake. Does anyone have a copy of it or know where I could get it?