Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Check out http://www.alldata.com

tidester, host
  • Options
    bberisford1bberisford1 Member Posts: 18
    Just had GMC dealer install GM Accessory exhaust tips (made for GM by Corsa) on my '03 DYXL. What an nice appearance change. The dual tips nicely fit in the space below the body from behind the rear wheel well to the rear bumper.

GM would do well to make it standard issue on Denalis and Escalades.

Barry
  • Options
    lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    They were standard until 03 when they were eliminated.
  • Options
    avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    The exhaust tip that was standard until the 2003 models was a single tip. Compared to the "no-tip" 2003s, the single tip was better. However, compared to the dual tip Corsa, the single tip on the 2001 and 2002 models comes up a bit short. I have had numerous positive comments about the Corsa dual tip that I had installed on my 2003 Denali - the body shop manager at the dealer had the Corsa dual tip installed on his Yukon after he saw my Denali with the Corsa.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    whole Corsa system?
  • Options
    erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    If you find anything about the technical service bulletin on the parking brake let me know. I recently installed new parking brake shoes and this system is really poorly engineered. Basically, the rear brakes are disc, but they have a drum rotor to accommodate the parking brakes which work like the older drum brake systems. There is a star adjuster, but no access to it through the rotor/drum (like on older systems). Essentially, you have to remove the rotor/drum and adjust the brakes based on an oversized vernier caliper measurement. This works well if you have a matching new set of drums & shoes, but with my older set, I had to give it a couple of tries before finding a setting that provided marginal holding power since there is slight wear on the drum. They still won't hold the truck on an incline, but at least there is some braking action. I had even slackened the line adjusting nut on the cable before installing the shoes and now have it tightened at the limit. The next major service I'll have a dealer look at it to see if they can apply more experience to this and improve the braking capabilities.
  • Options
    Here is a summary someone gave to me:

Scraping Noise From Rear of Vehicle (Replace Parking Brake Shoe Kit and Clean Drum in Hat Rotor) #02-05-26-002A - (01/28/2003)
    Scraping Noise From Rear Of Vehicle (Replace Parking Brake Shoe Kit and Clean Drum In Hat Rotor)
    2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
    1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Series Pickups
    2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe 1500 Series Models
    2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Series Models
    1999-2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Series Pickups
    2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL 1500 Series Models
    This bulletin is being revised to add Suburban and Yukon XL models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-05-26-002 (Section 05 - Brakes).
    Condition
    Some customers may comment on a scraping noise from the rear of the vehicle while driving. The noise may be intermittent.
    Cause
    Condition may due to the parking brake shoe contacting the drum in hat rotor without the parking brake being applied, causing premature wear on the shoe lining.
    Correction
    Replace the parking brake shoe and install a new designed spring clip retainer. Follow the service procedure below to correct this condition.

Parts Information
    Part Number * Description

88982875 * Parking Brake Shoe Kit

88982879 * Parking Brake Retainer Spring Clip Kit

12346139 (Canadian P/N 10953463) * Brake Parts Cleaner

12345493 (Canadian P/N 10953488) * Red LOCTITE™ #272
  • Options
    I have not seen dyno results that show enough of a hp/torque improvement on the Vortec 6.0 liter engine to justify spending for the full cat-back system. If/when the exhaust fails after the extended warranty has lapsed, then I will be in the market for the Corsa cat-back system. Until then, I am quite happy with the dual tips.
  • Options
    Lobsenza, thanks for the TSB info. I did not replace the redesigned clip when installing the new shoes since I did not know about the recall. The linings I replaced at 40k miles were worn out indicating that they do drag on the shoe, so this is definitely a problem.
  • Options
    juice22juice22 Member Posts: 29
    I was curious to know if anyone has checked out EBAY lately. There are two “Denali SS” models out for sale. I like the equipment installed and plan to call the dealership to see if I could get one built. However, I wanted to poll the board first to get some honest feedback regarding the trucks looks, equipment, price, etc….

Let me know what you think about the “Denali SS”

Thanks!
  • Options
    I just got the results back from arbitration yesterday! In summary, I DID NOT GET WHAT I WANTED OR BETTER YET “WHAT I DESERVED”!!!

The verdict is as follows:

Give GM 30 days to fix your concerns. When repairs are completed, drive the vehicle for 30 days and if you are not satisfied we will reconveign the hearing and I will come up with my decision.

This is how it went down:

The hearing lasted 4 hours. (Wow, it was long) I gave my side of the case; GM gave their side of the case BLAH BLAH BLAH. GM did nothing but put up smoke and mirrors. Their main case was claiming that I purposely left me vehicle in the shop to create a paper trail. Please Note: Every time I put my Yukon Denali in the shop I get a Ford Focus to drive. Why would I NOT want to pick-up my car? Anyhow, I used the following problems to support my case:

Noisy drive train: The arbitrator drove my vehicle and recognized the problem. She put in her report that the problem is a manufacture defect and that it impairs the safety, use and value of the vehicle.

Flickering lights: The arbitrator drove my vehicle and recognized the problem. She put in her report that the problem is a manufacture defect and that it impairs the safety, use and value of the vehicle. I also submitted my “Police Warning” issued to me for having a unsafe vehicle. She acted like it was no big deal that I am driving an unsafe vehicle in the laws eyes.

Tranny hesitates when shifting 1st to 2nd: The arbitrator drove my vehicle and recognized the problem. She put in her report that the problem is a manufacture defect and that it impairs the safety, use and value of the vehicle.

GM had their rep drive a new Denali to the hearing to support their case. Reason being, GM claims that all my problems are CHARACTERISTICS of all Denalis. After driving my vehicle, we all drove the new Denali that the rep brought. It performed perfectly. No noises from the drive train, no flickering lights, and tranny shifted perfect. The arbitrator commented to GM and myself that my vehicle has several problems and the vehicle GM brought had NO problems.

Overall, I felt as if I won my case. She recognized all my problems and noticed that the other vehicle (the one GM brought to the hearing) was flawless. Therefore, I was happy because I felt GM’s vehicle helped prove my case. Furthermore, the GM rep stated that he did not want to work on my vehicle for fear of making the problems worse. With all this said the ruling was to allow GM one more chance to fix my truck. Let me state for the record that they have has 3 attempts at fixing my truck and a 4th and FINAL ATTEMPT to fix the truck. Now, the arbitrator wants me to give them a 5th chance to fix the truck.

Any suggestion would be helpful. I guess that GA Lemon Law is next because I do not want them touching my truck anymore. The BBB works in GM favor!!!
  • Options
    mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Thanks for sharing your story. I hope everything goes your way even after the "5th" attempt. I looked at the Denali the other day and really like it but your story makes me very leary. If I get one, I'll do a "major" test drive!

Good luck, Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Their main case was claiming that I purposely left me vehicle in the shop to create a paper trail.

And where exactly would you be had you not created a paper trail? Did creating a paper trail cause the defects? Amazing!

tidester, host
  • Options
    307307 Member Posts: 2
    Any comments with regard to towing with '03 Denali XL with 6.0 litre.I am looking to purchase this type and pull a 28ft trailer.(5000lbs).Mostly in midwest,flatlands.Thanks.
  • Options
    I tow a 35oo boat trailer without difficulty. GM has a 24 hour test drive. Take one out and bring it to the trailer dealer and test the 2 together. I did that with the DXL and my trailer prior to purchase.

The 04 Denalis get the exhaust flange eliminated in 03.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We have a Prices Paid discussion but it's empty. Are Denali's that easy to get at discount or something?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    gtlaxgtlax Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have this? What do you think? Is it worth it? I have one in my Acura MDX and looking at a Yukon LT or Denali and wondering if the Nav System is worth it. I love mine now.
  • Options
    azdenaliazdenali Member Posts: 4
    Juice 22, I test drove the Red Denali SS with the supercharger. What an awesome truck. Fast! I took it on Hwy 51 and mashed the gas. I also did a few standing starts on some back streets. It throws you back pretty good into your seats and with AWD = pure acceleration. I spoke with the Tech who built it and he says he's gotton 14.2 1/4 times at the track and thats easy to believe. The sway bars make a world of difference. I stomped on the gas when making a right hand turn out of a parking lot and the SS hugged the corner tight. The salesman flinched as he saw oncoming traffic, but was also amazed how the big truck handled.

I couldn't get the price down to what I could afford, but I did buy a denali that night with Mods at a sweet price. My baby is a:

03 Garnett Red Denali
    Sun roof, 2nd Row Captains Chairs
    22" Rims with Toyo Proxes
    K&N Cold Air Intake
    Flowmaster Cat Back Exhaust
    Automate factory upgrade alarm
    $49,000

I Love the sound the exhaust and intake make. Sounds tough. I haven't had it dynoed yet, but there's a noticable improvement in acceleration. The tech told me I should expect 15 - 25 additional HP and an increase in torque, especially in the higher RPMs, plus it sounds bigger and badder than my dads 345 hp slade.

Next: supercharger - $6300 and hotchis sway bars - $1300. Brembo brakes - $1200.

Whats nice is it's all covered under the warranty. My .02 when buying a car. Go late Friday Night right before it closes. I didn't sit down and talk prices until 9:30pm. They all wanted to go home and got me out the door before 11pm.

-Adam
  • Options
    Sounds like you have a great truck. Does GMC back the warranty, or is it only through the Dealer? I've got a Garnet '01 with a K&N filter & stillen Metal Matrix pads, but otherwise stock. I have been eyeballing a whipple supercharger system, but for now I'll keep the $$ and stay with the current setup. Only problem I have with the truck is an electrical drain on the battery which I think is due to the aftermarket DVD system which has a short somewhere. Still troubleshooting that one. Otherwise, I really love this truck. Not as refined as other vehicles out there, but I still think this is the best package for the money.
  • Options
    eveything is covered under GM warranty up to 36000 miles or 3 years. I was told only certain brands are covered and they have to be installed by a GM approved tech. It costs a bit more for the dealer to do it, but it doesn't void the warranty.

I got to test drive a supercharged model. I have to tell ya, that thing was fast. There is a huge difference in acceleration when you don't have tire spin.

I would advise checking into an exhaust. It really makes the truck sound tough, like there is a big block under the hood
  • Options
    Azdenali

Congrats on the Denali SS. I am in the lemon law process with my 02 Denali. If things go the way I want I will be shopping for a new one. I am leaning hard towards the Denali SS. Where did you buy yours? I am in Atlanta GA and can not find a dealer that has them. There were two on EBAY a while back. One had a super charger and the other did not. The super charger version is a bit pricey but the other is exactly what I am looking for. Does yours have the raise hood? The one I want has the following:

Raised hood, 22in wheels/tires, upgrade brakes, white face gages, sway bars, flowmaster, rear spoiler, cold air intake, memory flash, etc…

Questions:
    What is the upgraded alarm you mentioned?
    Was the $49K you mentioned drive out price?
    Did they paint the grill on your to match the truck?

Congrats again and I look forward to hearing back from you!!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your lemon!!

I don't think the SS is a GM factory upgrade. It's just a local dealer's performance division that mod's them and sell's them. But as I mentioned before, you can get the mod's done by a GM approved tech and not void any part of your warranty.

$49000 was the out thd door price.
    The factory alarm upgrade is $500 - $600 and includes ignition cut off, glass break, and optional auto start and responder technology.
    I didn't get the grill trim painted but I would like to and also remove the rear black vents and replace them with painted Escalade vents. I haven't done anything with the interior and I don't plan too anytime soon. I was thinking about dropping it 2-3 inches. Anyone have any experience about the ride quality after you lower it?

My advice is to get the wheels and exhaust first. The sound is amazing and the dual chrome tips really go nice with the chrome tires.
  • Options
    azdenali, I would get a written response from GM to the effect that the dealer-installed supercharger would be covered under the GM 36 month/36,000 mile factory warranty BEFORE adding a supercharger to your truck. Otherwise, you run the risk of having to provide warranty coverage on your own dime.

There are some performance shops (such as Lingenfelter) that sell supercharger kits with a 36 month/36,000 mile warranty; however, the warranty is not the same as the GM factory warranty.
  • Options
    jkpsarasjkpsaras Member Posts: 29
    I've a 2001 with 36,000 miles. The engine knock seems to be getting louder. It's also noticeable even when the engine is warm. I had is running under the car port, and it's getting to sound like a diesel. Anyone else noticing this?
  • Options
    My '01 Denali w/ 45k miles is also a knocker. The knocking sound is greatly diminished once the engine is fully warmed up. This seems to be an inherent design characteristic ("flaw") with these engines. Not all Gen III v-8 engines exhibit this characteristic, but there are enough throughout different boards that discuss this to make it evident that there is a design/manufacturing issue. GM's official response is that this does not compromise the durability of the engine. I have never seen any instance of anyone associating an engine failure as a result of this condition. Does this mean that we won't experience problems at 150K miles? Don't know. My take is that GM has a great product but should have spent more time working out bugs and adding a higher level of refinement that consumers expect when spending $50k on a truck.
  • Options
    orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    My 2001 D with about 40k has always knocked for a few seconds on cold startup, but not after that. I usually run Chevron reg and the majority of miles are put on the hwy.
  • Options
    ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    I bought my wife a loaded black Yukon SLT in June. I found myself finding reasons to "borrow" it. Bought a loaded black Denali today for myself. Don't like the fact that I can't switch to 2WD, but the 6.0 rumble cures a lot of ills. The local dealer has over 60 Denalis discounted 10,000. They are cheaper than the SLT's. Couldn't afford not to make the leap. Great motor, great stereo, lot of room. 14 MPG...whoops, that's a bad thing. oh well!
  • Options
    pmagganpmaggan Member Posts: 62
    As you may recall, I installed a Volant Airbox and Scoop along with a Granatelli MAF a while ago. I'm happy to report that I can get up to 18.5 mpg with a 500lb. load. Running the stock setup, I'd max out at 17.0mpg. I've got a Corsa exhaust on order and can't wait to get it installed. Got it for $639 delivered.
  • Options
    Good to hear from you again pmaggan. Did you find a resolution for the rubbing scoop?

My stock mileage varies depending on the speed travelled. On a flat open highway with A/C running, I have observed the following: approximately 18 MPG@65-70MPH, 17 MPG@75, 16MPG@80-85. Overall, I feel this is good for a vehicle of this nature.
  • Options
    sierravistasierravista Member Posts: 6
    Hello -- new to the forum..just bought '03 Yukon Denali. In reading about what's new for 04, seems GMC added a chrome exhaust extension. Asked the service manager if this added anything other than looking good. He said it added nothing but looks -- any comments? Does it change the pitch of the exhaust, or was it intended to get the exhaust further away from the body.

Thanks
  • Options
    It is just for looks. It was on the 01, 02, and 04. It was only missing from the 03 Denalis.
  • Options
    I did find a cure for the rubbing. I removed the Volant connector pieces between the scoop and the bottom of the airbox and replaced it with flexible ducting hose. Rubbing is gone. I then had to find a way to secure the air scoop to the truck. I ended up using tie wraps to hold it snugly in place. Works like a charm.
  • Options
    jasdenalijasdenali Member Posts: 2
    I GOT A 2003 DENALI XL WITH SUNROOF FOR $45,600 CASH OUT THE DOOR.IS THAT A GOOD PRICE? DOES ANYONE INFO ON A AFTER-MARKET OVERHEAD DVD SYSTEM FOR DXL WITH SUNROOF?
  • Options
    One of the dealers here in the PDX metro is advertising $11k off MSRP for any new 2003 Denali/Denali XL.
  • Options
    proudnjcopproudnjcop Member Posts: 7
    Do you mean including tax and tags when you say out the door? Most dealers are advertising $11,000 off MSRP but that includes plenty of rebates for which the average joe is not entitled to such as $500 military, $1000 Olds loyalty and $4500 factory rebate which do not apply if you finance with 0%. I think you probably could have done better unless that $45,600 does in fact include tag and tags and even so, if you didn't use GMAC financing you still could have done yourself a little better. I recently purchased a 2003 Denali with a sunroof in July. After doing a little research and bouncing back between 3 dealerships I was able to get it for $43,300 plus tax and tags while utilizing the 0% financing so I was not able to get an extra $3000 in factory rebates. Considering that I was only entitled to one $1000 rebate I think they really gave me a good deal. Comparatively, I believe the XL lists for about $1500 more than the regular Denali? If so you should have been able to get a deal around $40,300 including the $4500 factory rebate being that you paid cash. Of course different areas have different dealers willing to do different things. I am in the NJ area and went to a dealer who seemed high volume and appeared to rather move a unit than make a lot of profit. Also he had the exact truck I wanted on the lot so I am sure that helped my case as well. Regardless, good luck with the truck, I love mine although I have been seeing some tendencies on mine that I have read people complaining about such as flickering lights and power surging when the engine is cold. I just assume that these are inherent problems with the design and it isn't a big deal anyway, I still love the truck!
  • Options
    The $11k does include all the rebates etc... it looks real good in large print... to most folks. I mention it as point of reference.

I have a 2001 Denali that has been a trooper and has never given me any trouble in about 40k miles. I may have to sell and was wondering what folks are seeing them go for used. Here (PDX, OR) I see few in the used vehicle listings and on the web I've seen them from $28k to $35k...
    Both Edmunds and KBB puts the value about 31700 for a private sale.
  • Options
    Here is a link to some pictures of my DVD system:

http://home.earthlink.net/~pmaggan/images/Denali/
  • Options
    jasdenalijasdenali Member Posts: 2
    Yes,that includes tax and tags. I am in california where everything seems to be expensive. My cousin got a dxl with dvd and captains chairs for $52,000.I think 45,600 including tax and tags was a good price.
  • Options
    gnutsgnuts Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2003 denali, and i'm trying to white out all of the turn signals. I took care of the rear and front turns, but there is still a pice of yellow plastic in the main headlight assembly. does antone know if it is possible to remove this yellow without damaging the assembly or does anyone know of an aftermarket assembly with the projectors and no yellow on the side. Thanks
  • Options
    Anyone ever find out exactly how cadilac gets 25 extra HP out of the same engine? Could it be just "advertised" HP that only exists on paper? A camshaft or compressin change would account for it, but I doubt GM would commit that much engineering to make the Caddy buyers happy. In other words, can we get the extra 25 HP without major mods. They are still discounting the Denali 10 grand here in St. Louis, or 7 grand and 0%.
  • Options
    I read somewhere that the Caddy has a bit higher compression and less restrictive exhaust manifolds (basically headers by yesterday's stds)
    I can't remember which mag/rag I read it in.
  • Options
    I would agree with orwoody on compression increase for the 6.0 liter engine in the Cadillac v. the 6.0 liter engine in the Denali. The other factor in the increase would be more likely to be based on ignition timing. Personally, I think the Denali is the better truck between the two (which is why I bought the Denali - two times now). My view was shared by the salesman that sold me my Corvette recently - he has a Denali (the dealer group sells all the GM products, so the salesman could have gone with either truck).
  • Options
    curtissilvercurtissilver Member Posts: 11
    Driver's door sticker calls for 30PSI which seems low to me. My 2001 Suburban was 35.

Seeking your input...

Thanks

Curtis
  • Options
    Don't know about the DXL, but I have been running 32 lbs. in all four tires.
  • Options
    so I got my 1st chance to give the stabilitrac system a real world test. Had to push it hard through a left turn before the arrow turned (or wait 3 minutes for the next one) wet asphalt, very slick, but the Denali cruised through like an Amtrack train. The DIC lit up and it felt like I had a co-pilot working the brakes. Very confident. My last car, a SSEi, also had stabilitrac, but lacked the all wheel drive...I have to give the nod to the big D! Glad I bought the D... the slade's are too prissy looking.
  • Options
    I just got my new Corsa Exhaust put on this afternoon. It sounds great. Nice throaty rumble when you're on the gas, but nice and quiet when you're not. I got the Sport edition system which is the louder unit. The touring unit is quieter.
  • Options
    How much of a performance difference is there? What was the cost of the exhaust system? How much was installation?
  • Options
    mpm1810mpm1810 Member Posts: 1
    Hopefully no one paid for their chrome exhaust tip. On GMC's website under standard equipment it says chrome tip *only on Denali's (or something to that effect). I had to hassle with them a little but they did put it on in the end.

As for performance it should have no benefit in fact if anything it would hinder performance because it disrupts the airflow at the end of an otherwise straight pipe. The effect it will have on your overall preference will be totally unnoticeable. If your looking to raise your pony’s you might try that K&N filter kit and/ or the hand held chip reprogrammer (I forget what it's called). I have to say though, that Corsa does sound nice and it should for $250.

You know, one other thing I'm not sure how many miles you all have (or weather or not it's just my imagination) but does it seem like your engine performance has increased noticeably after you cleared about 500-700 miles?
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Corsa for $250? Where might that be?
  • Options
    I paid $514 for the exhaust. ($599 less $125 gift certificate plus $40 shipping.) Labor at the dealer was $120. I figured why spend $250 on just the Corsa tips, when for double that I could get the whole exhaust system including the tips.

I didn't notice any performance difference with the exhaust. Even if it adds 10-15 hp, I doubt anyone would really be able to notice any difference. After all, even a 15hp increase is less than a 5% increase on a 320hp engine. So far, I really like it. The ultimate test will be this weekend when the wife and a I take a little trip. Hopefully it won't be too loud for her. :) If it is, I may have to try and trade for a Corsa Touring exhaust.