Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon Reduced Engine Power message

Comments

• jonesey_101jonesey_101 Member Posts: 7
    Dear GM Customer Service,
    My vehicle has approximately 160, 000 miles. The barrings have been replace the wires have been grounded, a new battery to make sure ample power is there...I will be going down the street, highway, interstate wherever...it doesn't matter how fast or slow I go ... it will going along and without warning it powers down and gives me on the display REDUCED ENGINE POWER then it drops to around 10 miles per hour also right behind the display message REDUCED ENGINE POWER it gives the message Stability System Disabled. I can pull off the side of the road after much honking of the horn and stress..turn the key off and wait a few seconds crank it and go again..sometime it doesn't do it again other times in order to travel 20 or 25 miles I have to pull over 7 or 8 times.. do you have any idea how frustrating this is or for that matter how dangerous this can be? GMC please do the right thing...recall or at the very least get the information out to your mechanics how to repair the situation without people having to take the vehicle back again and again and again...
  • datsamoredatsamore Member Posts: 10
    Yes Christina, you can tell us what is causing this problem?
    Thanks, Gary
  • keri5keri5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Chevy Monte Carlo and have been dealing with a reduce engine power for the past month. This has cause me frustration as well danger when I drove my vehicle on the highway when I lost all my power.

I never deal with the dealerships when I need work on my vehicle, I have a mechanic in town who doesn't rip me off. This time he not sure what's going on with my vehicle and doesn't want to want to start guessing.

The other day I dropped my vehicle off at the dealership wereI purchased my car. when I started to explained what was wrong with my car he said to me you can write it down on this form and we will be in touch with you on Monday or Tuesday. Also, there will be a 90 dollar diagnosis charge. There was no customer interaction, and showing they wanted to work with me.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    jonesey_101,
    What I need you to do is send me and email with your complete contact information including a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. Please include the post I am responding to in your email.
    Christina GM Customer Service
    bekarussell,
    I apologize for your experience. Have you taken the vehicle in to your local GM dealer to be diagnosed? If not i would definitely recommend doing so. Please keep me updated on your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • adrianakadrianak Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem as everyone else with the reduced engine power on my 2007 Yukon Denali. I broke down on Jan. 29, 2011 and again on Jan 31, 2011 both times on major highways in dangerous spots. The problem is GM knows about the faulty fuel throttles and they are not willing to do a recall. The fuel throttles are on national back order and I had my car in the shop from Jan. 29 (with the exception of driving it 106 miles before breaking down again) until today Feb 16th. when they finally located the part and fixed it. I've had nothing but problems with GM customer service. I have been in constant contact with GM in Detroit, supposedly at the executive level. They do not care about customers, in all of my issues resulting from my fuel throttle (I was towed twice for this problem once from GM Roadside and once from AAA one of the tow trucks damaged the front of my vehicle, I don't know which one and neither will take resposibility for it, so GM told me "sorry, I feel your pain but its out of our hands"). So therefore I have dents and scratches that need to be repaired at my expense! I have no respect what so ever for GM, I was a loyal customer up to this point, and I am done. They are endangering peoples lives and do not care. I wonder if the executives would be so careless if this were happening to their loved ones. Something tells me not. For all of my troubles I was offered a customer loyalty certificate for the purchase of a new GM....really?
  • breze022breze022 Member Posts: 8
    After 6months of searching the web I found this site. It has been very help full the only problem I'm having is my 2003 Yukon denali has the same problem as other with the reduce engine power...the only difference is that when I start it up and drive to the store when its time to go it won't start back up after replacing the throttle body,starter,tac module map sensor crank sensor I can't figure it out I've check for loose or broken wire everything is fine can you help me
    I have the same issues the only thing is the reduce engine power comes on when I drive to work or the store then turn off the truck it won't turn back on and then my display will say reduce engine power I have to wait about 30 minutes then the truck turns back on like everything was normal
  • nomoregm4nomoregm4 Member Posts: 2
    I have been frustrated by this reduced engine power enigma. When it first started occuring about 6 months ago I took it to autozone for a free diagnostic. The code came back as throttle position sensor, TAC, or TPS. I was convinced for whatever reason that it was the TAC, so I went to the Chevrolet dealer parts counter and requested one after explaining what was going on to the clerk. He advised me that I should have a technition look at it so I scheduled an appointment. Of coarse you can't speak with a knowledgable mechanic at the dealership so I get a call from the customer service rep and she tells me I need a new throtle body and throttle body harness which they could install for only about $900. I told her I would fix that myself and forego the $1000/hr labor charge that they get. Paid $90 diagnostic fee for the same info I got at Autozone for free. I purchased the overpriced harness from GM (as that is the only place to get one) for $140 and a new throttle body from Autozone (for $158 vs. $300 at Chev) whent home and replced the parts in about 20 min. Guess what, same problem so I go back to my thinking that it is the TAC. So I buy a TAC from Chevrolet as tho only supplier for $300 still the same problem. I call the customer service rep at Chevrolet dealership and she tells me that I must have the computer reprogramed after changing these parts. I set up an appointment and pay $100 dollars only this time I strategically wait for the mechanic to come driving up and corner him. He tells me that it could have been several things but it is deffinately fixed now and all codes are cleared. 30 minutes later the same problem. I changed the throttle position sensor as well as the mass air sensor but still have the same problem. I have wiggled the harness on the throttle body as somebody suggested with no changes. A friend of mine has the same truck and is having the same problem. I believe this is common and GM doesnt want to take care of it. After 40 years of GM loyalty I am done buying them but I am stuck with 2 now and don't know what to do. From what I gather no one else does. btw this truck has 180000 miles and runs well except for this
  • turk744turk744 Member Posts: 1
    Dear GM Customer Service,
    I have been a GM owner since 1969. I religiously buy your products because I believe in AMERICAN MADE PRODUCTS. I have a 2003 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 Quadrasteer SLT, that has 161,000 miles and I am having the same problem that everyone else seemingly has. I am currently afraid to drive it, because I have to get onto the interstate to travel and I've almost lost my life several times in the past month because my truck just quits or shuts down when I am driving. I took it to the Local Dealership and they said they could fix it for about $190.00, so I let them. When I went to pick it up I looked at the bill and the actual parts were $4.29, the rest of the cost incurred was labor. Before I got home, (12 miles), it had broke down twice. I called the service manager and he said that all they had to do was clean the throttle body and I would have to be patient and keep adding injector cleaner to it every week and it will take some time to clean the system. Well I think that after $500.00 in fuel and additive I am ready to throw in the towel and park it for good. What a shame to have a truck that still looks brand new and can't be driven for fear of losing your life. In my opinion, your vehicles with this problem are no longer safe to drive and I don't think that your "Mr. Good Wrenches" have a clue on how to remedy these current issues. Not knowing how to fix your own products surely will not help you sell vehicles. In short, I'd just like to ask that you please help the people that have kept your company in buisness for Centuries.
  • terriberri1terriberri1 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problems with my 2007 Yukon XL Denali, after having my transmission replaced last December, here we go again with something else. I am so frustrated with GM Customer Service and lack of concern for their customers this reduced engine power is very dangerous. Having this power failure on the interstate in the middle of nowhere is a big problem.
    terriberri1,
    Can you please email me with your VIN and case number?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    breze022,
    Have you had the chance to have it seen by a dealer? Will you email me your VIN and situation?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • smedsleassmedsleas Member Posts: 7
    bunchz71
    I have a 2007 GMC 1500 series w/160000+ miles. We just acquire the reduced engine power msg. Tried to get your picture and could not get into site. Do you have a different address for this picture, I noticed later on you said your site had been down for awhile. I could use the picture to find the wires in my truckAppreciate any help you can give on this matter. thnx smedsleas
  • mattroutzahnmattroutzahn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Chevy Z71 Tahoe ... same problem "Reduced Engine Power" it's random. The only problem I do face right now is my catalytic converters, which I'm about to replace. Could be why I'm getting this message?
  • donewithgmsdonewithgms Member Posts: 24
    Hello, I have had this same problem. My stabilitrak and traction control lights went off followed by the dimished engine power. Took it to the dealer and they said that it needed a throttle body and throttle body connector, BUT that the part was on national backorder...could be weeks or a month. (that was 02/2011).

Finally got it replaced on April 4th..cost $500. My Yukon XL has 124K miles on it, bought it new and I asked GM to pay for the part....FLAT out denied! My warranty has expired, so they don't care....even though it is obviously a problem part. Then GM Customer service told me to save my reciepts if I wanted to be reimbursed for the cost if the part was recalled later! They basically don't care.

In addition to the problem with the throttle body, my 2007 GMC Yukon XL has all the other problems that GM won't acknowledge...Excessive oil consumption and it has to have a new battery EVERY year!

Won't be buying GM next time....
  • aussiewayneaussiewayne Member Posts: 4
    I also have a 2003 Yukon that drops in to Reduce Engine Power mode. The Throttle Body has been replace the ground at th back of the cylinder head on the passenger side has been reworked a new pig tail harness to the trottle body has been replaced and I still have the problem. In my case the condition has been evolving at first it was seldom and random it seam to be when you held the accelerator pedel steady at approx 65miles an hour. It now happens 14 times in 14 miles Saturday morning then I drove 100 mile on sunday afternoon without a problem the only difference was the outside air temperature. I too am looking for a solution to what appears to be a common problem. :confuse:
    Your; need new battery every year problem is most probably caused by the ground strap from the battery to engine block is loose. I went thru too many before I figured that out.
    Now if I could figure out why it keeps going into limp mode!!!!!
    I will check that out! Thank You.
    I replaced the Battery and Alternator still having the same problem. P0120, P1516 and P2135
  • karmushakarmusha Member Posts: 1
    I have 2010 GMC Yukon XL (19K miles).
    I think no one had problem with the car that new yet on this forum.
    I was getting off the freeway when I got lights on: first Traction Control Off and then Reduced Engine Power. But instead of reducing the engine power car totally shut down in the middle of the big intersection.
    I was lucky it did not happened on freeway with my 2 little kids. But it was really scary, when you can’t rally push the brakes or make car turn.
    I tried to turn the engine on for a good 20 min, but no luck. Finally two big guys helped me to push the car off the intersection to the closest gas station.
    When the tow away guy got to the gas station to pull me to the closest dealership he was able to start the car (40 min after it got shot down). But the engine light was still on.
    My car in the dealership now and they told me that they would be able to fix it.
    I will keep posted to what ever happened to it.
    After reading a lot on this forum I had called the dealership service and mentioned that if they check the ground wires that it might help. They just gave me an advice: “Do not use the internet for finding any problems and resolutions for these problems”…

Well, car in service now, I will keep posted, if it was fixed.
    karmusha,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    I replace the throttle body Thursday 12 May 2011 have driven approx 500 miles without an issue. I'm keeping my finger cross the issue is resolved
    The dealership and GMC would be very happy if no one ever looked on the internet or talked to other GMC owners to see if they have had a similar problem.

I only started looking on the internet when the dealer told me that the part (THROTTLE BODY) was on backorder and it would be a MONTH to get the part!! I have 3 kids and my 2007 GMC also died on a very busy freeway. It is a safety issue.

Since it appears that this part is failing at an alarming rate and with potentially dangerous consequences, I filed a safety complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Board. I had hoped that GMC would recall the models affected and replace the part before it fails, but they are doing nothing.
  • nomoregm4nomoregm4 Member Posts: 2
    The problem is that it is not the throttle body. I have changed the throttle body, throttle actuator control (TAC), throttle position sensor, mass air flow sensor, oxygen sensors, throttle body wiring harness, and most recently fan clutch. Still have the same problem. Does anyone know what this is?

#117 of 133 Reduced Engine Power- 2003 Chev. 2500 by nomoregm4 Mar 08, 2011 (3:54 pm)
    I have been frustrated by this reduced engine power enigma. When it first started occuring about 6 months ago I took it to autozone for a free diagnostic. The code came back as throttle position sensor, TAC, or TPS. I was convinced for whatever reason that it was the TAC, so I went to the Chevrolet dealer parts counter and requested one after explaining what was going on to the clerk. He advised me that I should have a technition look at it so I scheduled an appointment. Of coarse you can't speak with a knowledgable mechanic at the dealership so I get a call from the customer service rep and she tells me I need a new throtle body and throttle body harness which they could install for only about $900. I told her I would fix that myself and forego the $1000/hr labor charge that they get. Paid $90 diagnostic fee for the same info I got at Autozone for free. I purchased the overpriced harness from GM (as that is the only place to get one) for $140 and a new throttle body from Autozone (for $158 vs. $300 at Chev) whent home and replced the parts in about 20 min. Guess what, same problem so I go back to my thinking that it is the TAC. So I buy a TAC from Chevrolet as tho only supplier for $300 still the same problem. I call the customer service rep at Chevrolet dealership and she tells me that I must have the computer reprogramed after changing these parts. I set up an appointment and pay $100 dollars only this time I strategically wait for the mechanic to come driving up and corner him. He tells me that it could have been several things but it is deffinately fixed now and all codes are cleared. 30 minutes later the same problem. I changed the throttle position sensor as well as the mass air sensor but still have the same problem. I have wiggled the harness on the throttle body as somebody suggested with no changes. A friend of mine has the same truck and is having the same problem. I believe this is common and GM doesnt want to take care of it. After 40 years of GM loyalty I am done buying them but I am stuck with 2 now and don't know what to do. From what I gather no one else does. btw this truck has 180000 miles and runs well except for this
    donewithgms,

By chance, have you spoken with GM Customer Assistance?

Thank you,
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out this thread over in Edmunds Answers too. It's about a TrailBlazer, and the owner threw a bunch of parts at the problem. Sounds like it's been a hard problem to trace for a few owners.
    Hello Caron,

Yes, I have. I asked GM to pay for the part, since after looking around it became apparent that it was not only my GM that was having the problem.
    They did not have any real interest in my problem because "there was no recall" and the warranty had expired. They would not even acknowledge that the part had been on backorder! They told me that GM would not pay for the part and to save my receipts in case of a recall.

If was after speaking to them that I decided that other GM owners needed to know about the problem and lack of service, so they could make more informed decisions or at the very least get rid of their GM's before the warranty expired.
    donewithgms,

Since you spoke with GM Customer Assistance, could you please email me your case number? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    Hi Caron,

here is the file number: 71-934530838
    donewithgms,
    I we are looking into your case further. We will be in contact with you next week. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • mslimanmsliman Member Posts: 4
    I am having the same problem with my 2005 Yukon XL Denali ... I don'twant to throw parts at this I want to fix it permanantly. I have to disconnect the battery, and the computer rests itself, and then it's driveable. It started 6 months ago and gets worse and worse.
    msliman,

I apologize for the issue you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you had the vehicle diagnosed by your dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • p3nguinp3nguin Member Posts: 1
    After reading various posts with the "Reduced Engine Power" issue it seems that it's a generic message for various problems, from electircal to throttle body sensors, Idle control system etc. Here is what I experienced. It started 3 days ago hesitating when cranking the motor. When the vehicle was on I immediatley saw the "Reduced Engine Power" message and was unable to accelerate over 20 mph. Upon checking the fluids I noticed the motor oil was a little low so I topped it off, message gone until today 5-25-2011. Same problems so I went down to AutoZone, they tested the battery, alternator and starter, battery was bad, replaced it, cranked the vehicle on, message was gone as well as the vechile running in a degrated state. I hope this helps. Like I said, I've seen many different problems that have produced this message on many forums so maybe this might help somebody out there.
  • cgclayton68cgclayton68 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem after changing my front wheel bearings at 156,500 miles. Did you find a solution? Were the ground wires bad? I get the Reduced Engine Power and Stability System Disabled as well. I pulled the positive wire to my battery and the reset the system, but the solid check engine light stayed on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    edited May 2011
    My "cleaning the throttle body" was not the remedy for going into limp mode. Check your main battery ground strap connection bolt for tightness at bottom of engine block.
    Also, I just read that not tightening the gas cap could be the cause.
  • bmcgheebmcghee Member Posts: 2
    I am so frustrated with this product.. and the service from my local GM dealership. My wife works in Southern California and has had this truck slow down to a crawl in the middle of 55 mile an hour semis...I pray that she is not hurt,

When we took the vehicle to the dealer ship he stated that we needed to replace the Throttle body at $1100.00.

I am a retired Marine and don't have that kind of money... love my General Motors, but am considering the lack of apathy from this company on an apparently on going problem with its product.

I guess someone has to be killed before they will do anything. This thing started to malfunction 3000 miles after the warranty expired.

What a crock! I guess that I will go out and try some of the home remedies since I don't have 1100,00 dollars and GM isn't going to budge on the recall.

Guess that I will have to switch back to foreign made vehicles.

Fed up!
    this has been an on going thing with my 2003 yukon denali...i have a friend that works for gmc parts and he just told me it might be the main computer sending mix signals to the pcm..if you have a parts authority the sell the throttle body for 275.00
    Please consider filing a complaint with the National Highway Safety Transportation department. It is a safety issue, it is happening to cars/trucks throughout the GM line.

You would think that after the bailout that GMC would be more aware of the need for customer service to retain repeat customers,but they haven't.
  • pikemanpikeman Member Posts: 1
    Well its good to know im not the reason my 2011 Denali is giving me fits. This is my second Yukon Denali, my last one was a 2007 WITH NO PROBLEMS!!! I literally had this car for 5 months when the light came on about the traction control. This was in March, and today im still trying to get this fixed. I have had it to two different dealers over ten times. I have called GM and received a case number. So many sensors, computers, etc have been replaced that i couldn't remember to write down on here. I feel as though im on a wild goose chase. I was on the freeway one time, and it went from 70mph to 55 in an instant. Scared me half to death. Two salespersons tried to tell me it was my fault!!!!!!!! That when you hit the gas/ brake pedal instantaniously, this causes the problem. I found out you have to do this for 5 minuites of constant break/gas pressure for it to happen (owner of dealership told me).HEY GM, EITHER GIVE ME A DIFFERENT VEHICLE OR STOP PLAING AROUND AND FIX IT!!!
    bmcghee,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Thank you for your service. Can you please email me your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    pikeman,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you send me your case number? Has your dealer involved Technical Assistance? If not, I would recommend requesting them to do so. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • footballwife67footballwife67 Member Posts: 1
    I've been having an issue with my car hesitating at start-up like the battery wasn't catching. And, I was even at the Chevrolet dealership today and decided to bring the car in tomorrow since they didn't have anyone available to work on it. On the way home, the Reduced Engine Power came on and the car would not go over 20 mph. It only went to 30 mph on a down-slope. (Thank God for gravity!) It was very scary! I am printing off this entire forum to give to my mechanic just in case he has no idea of the lengthy issue going on with this problem. I will also be making sure that I have everything documented because it sure does sound like a huge issue.

How many people who have been contacted by GM customer service have had their issues resolved? A little apology for almost having another car run into you on the freeway doesn't seem adequate.

I have an appointment with the service department tomorrow. By the way, I had this issue checked before but they couldn't find anything and I brought it in three times. Then, I changed the battery and it went away for a year. Now, it is back.

Why hasn't this been recalled?
    footballwife67,
    Please let me know how it goes at the dealer. I apologize for your frustrations. I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • teamradoteamrado Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2011
    2003 Silverado has same reduced engine power message. Not very happy as I was driving on a 3 lane major highway when this happened and was almost involved in a very serious accident when this message came on and I was down to 15 mph. As I tried to get into a slower lane and get off the highway I was almost hit by another vehicle. Upon doing some research on this message, I see that this is a major problem with many other chevy vehicles and one big SAFETY ISSUE. After about 30 minutes or so truck will start without message but at any given time message will reappear. Any help to solving this issue permanently will be greatly appreciated as I do not have the funds to change several parts that are not fixing this problem as I have read in other forums. People are spending $1,000.00 or more and problem not solved. My next step is to contact the National Highway Safety Transportation Board and explain the situation.
  • jprice318jprice318 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the problem of Reduced engine power since I purchased my 2004 yukon XL new. I can be driving down the road and it will go into reduced. I pull over and shut the vehicle off. Wait for about 5 minutes, start up, power returns to normal but the check engine lite remains on. I can continue to my destination such as work or whatever. After the car sits for at least 2 hours I start it up and all seems OK. Check engine lite is off and all seems to be working OK. I have had the dealership check and the engine code is generic (no definate code indication). The dealer has changed out the throttle body, Intake manifold, reset the computer, basically tried everything. After having it at the dealers shop it my go 6 months, 8 months, 3 months who knows then it does it again. Anyway they have never been able to find a definate cause to the tune of anywhere from $120.00 to $1600.00 each time I take it in.
    Hello,

I have not heard of GM customer service resolving anyone's issue, especially if the vehicle is no longer covered by the warranty.

They know it is a problem, yet refuse to acknowledge it.

I would encourage to file a complaint with the National Highway Safety Transportation Board. Maybe they will investigate if they get enough complaints from Chevy and GM owners.
  • lstokeslstokes Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Yukon Denali that is having the exact same problem. I have had it at the dealership 4 times and they keep replacing the same throttle body parts. I am considering a class action lawsuit now that I see all the posts around this problem. The problem started at 25K and has continued and i now have 33K. Is there anyone out there who has sued for breach of warranty or under the lemon laws?
  • jh223344jh223344 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the exact same problem with my 2003 GMC Yukon and it's at the dealer a FOURTH time for the same problem.

About 6 months ago, I received a "Reduced Engine Power" message while driving on the highway at 65mph. My truck immediately dropped down to 30 mph and nearly caused a wreck.

I took it into the dealer and paid $1,000 to replace the throttle-body assembly and the wiring harness. No problems for about 4-5 months and then about 2 months ago it started again. I took it back and the code read the throttle body assembly again, so they replaced it free of charge.

It worked fine for another month, now it's acting up again, so I take it back and they could not find anything wrong because there was no active code. So a few weeks pass with no problems, and fast forward to last week when yet again the problem reappers. It's at the dealer right now.

I'm concerned about dumping more money into parts that don't solve the problem. Clearly GM is aware of this defective part(s), yet nothing is being done to fix this nationwide.

The sad thing is that I was going to buy a new Tahoe in the next year or two. I've been a loyal GM customer and have only owned GM Trucks my entire life. However, if this issue is not fixed, I'm leaving GM and will not be back.
  • teamradoteamrado Member Posts: 16
    It would be to everyones benefit to register a complaint with the National Highway Safety Transportation Board. This issue will not be dealt with until a fatality occurs " which is only a matter of time" and at least there will be documentation at a government facility that is suppose to protect you and I. Only takes 5 minutes to file a complaint and stays on record for years. There is power in numbers so I encourage everyone having issues to report them immediately so this issue is brought to the attention of the NHSTB and GM.