Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon Reduced Engine Power message

Comments

• bpmcardlebpmcardle Member Posts: 2
    Sarah,

How do I set up Customer Assistance Case with GM? Do I just provide the information here or is there some other place I need to provide "email with more information, including your name/Edmunds username, contact information (phone and address, please), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership".

Thank You,
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Bpmcardle,
    Thank you for posting - if you were to email us that information, we would receive it and get things started. My email address is available on my Edmunds profile, which you could view if you clicked on my hyperlinked username.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • firespecfirespec Member Posts: 2
    This happened to me this weekend. (12-31-11) I went to Manchester Vt for New Years and went to start truck, ran ruff and bucked. I stopped and let it sit for a few minutes tben drove and did same. Now i did have it in all wheel drive. Anyway, i drove into Manchester and there was a gmc dealer and i explained what happened and She said "sounds like a throttle body". Hmmmm, anyay they couldnt get me in for a few hours to hook up to diagnostic machine. I left and it ran finr???? So today 1-4-12 i am driving to work and it starts to buck again my dealer Robertson's GMC in Wareham Ma is abiut 6 miles away. I figure i will try any limp my way there. Well car died completdly on side of road. 6am, 15 degrees out. So i sit for a few minutes and am getting ready to call aaa for a tow and i start up truck and it runs fine. I head to dealer and as i turn in lot it starts again. Short of it is. They replaced thottle position sensor cover, seal and f sensor kit, parts were $83.00 and labor $141.00. Just left and drove 30 miles to work. It ran well so far. Will update if any problems in future. Chris. GMC 2008 Yukon XL
    I'm glad that you were able to get this resolved at a dealership. Please do let us know if this concern should resurface with your Yukon.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • firespecfirespec Member Posts: 2
    I maintain my truck well. But reading about all the like issues have me wondering if gm knows they have an jssue and arent resolving it correctly. I cansee where this can be vey dangerous.
  • ahaynieahaynie Member Posts: 2
    2003 Yukon Denali

I have been experiencing "Reduced engine power" for a few months. At first, it would happen once every couple days, then once a day, and now several times (happened 6 times in 5 miles)a day. We have changed the fuses, filters, and plugs but it still goes into reduced engine power. I have 5 kids and I fear for our safety. I have read previous posts...are there any current solutions?

Also, is anyone having instrument cluster issues? My instrument cluster went out about a year ago...not fun!!
  • breze022breze022 Member Posts: 8
    Thats a major wire harness problem that gmc needs to recall. they had a bad shipment of throttle body from 2003 to 2010 and its not something they disclosed to the public that why they keep telling people its the throttle body.there wire harness are weak and can stand up to the heat.as for your cluster just swap out the speedometer with the temperture I did it and it work fine
  • mcovingtonmcovington Member Posts: 1
    Sarah,
    I have had the same issues with my 2007 Denali in the same sequence; Stabilitrack warning + Service Traction Control + Engine Power reduced. Started of only happening once every several months. Had a complete tune up followed by a fuel injection and throttle body cleaning, right after the cleaning it started again and been happening every week or so. I also noticed that when I first start the vehicle it idles extremely rough, a lot worst than before the cleaning. I also noticed some lag when driving at highway speeds trying to maintain speed. After reduce engine comes on you can pull over, turn car off, take key out for about a minute and it will clear the reduce engine part, but check engine light stays on until you start it a couple times then check engine light goes away too. Ben Mynatt GMC in Charlotte, NC changed the plugs, thought it was misfiring, but happened same day I got it back. I love the truck, but paying thousands of dollars fishing for an answer is not an option for me...Also, I agree with all other people here, this is a VERY dangerous and wide spread problem...GMC should be seriously considering recalls and fix for customers.
    Any assistance would be appreciated.
  • ahaynieahaynie Member Posts: 2
    Thank you.
    My battery gauge and oil gauge stopped working as well...

So, do i need to have my wire harness replaced?
  • unsatisfied16unsatisfied16 Member Posts: 21
    I have been working with GMC to resolve my issue with my Yukon. Everyone I talk to says that they are going to call me back but never do. The GMC Business Resource Center has the worst customer service! Is someone telling them to not call me back? I am seeking a repurchase as a last ditch effort. I have been so patient with the dealership and now with GMC to remedy my situation. I have filed a claim with the Better Business Bureau in hopes of resolving this issue. It is inconceivable to me that GM would put me and my family in harms way and then just blow us off. My car has been sitting at the dealership for over two weeks now. I can't believe that we tax payers bailed them out and then they treat us like dirt. We should have let them go under. Business that can't back their product and put lives in danger should not be doing business period! If anyone has had a similar complaint and resolved it with the BBB, please give me some advice. I definitely am not going away and will continue to fight for what is right!
  • barnesbw3barnesbw3 Member Posts: 13
    I have been been fighting for 9 months and my vehicle has actually been in an accident due to reduced engine power. Esis GM offered me 1500$ for my troubles. Are they kidding me? I too am seeking a repurchase or replacement. I have filed 3 claims....one with BBB locally, one with BBB in back of owners manual and then this one due to accident......funny how Sarah from GM only responds to certain messages on here. I FULLY INTEND TO NOT GO AWAY. My families lives have been put in danger too many times and I am still paying for a truck that is inoperable and cannot be repaired. SARAH AND GM....I AM NOT GOING AWAY. I already am in contact with an attorney.
    Thanks for getting back to me. Have you filed a complaint with NHTSA? After so many compliants they will research and force a recall. It's sad that someone has to die before they do anything. They do an analysis of the cost to replace versus the cost of liability claims. I hope that everyone files a claim with the NHTSA. I was thinking about driving the car with a big lemon on it, but I'm afraid to drive it. Let me know what the outcome is and I'll do the same. Good luck!
    Good morning,
    I appreciate the fact that you have been working with us to try to address this concern, and apologize that the process has been, from the sounds of it, drawn out. One option available would be to get a service request set up with us, which would involve a diagnosis at your dealership. From there, we could further evaluate the options available.

If you would please email us more information, including your involved dealership and the last time you were in to have this checked out, the last 8 digits of your vehicle's VIN and current mileage, your name/username, and contact information (phone and address), we would get this process started. My coworker Christina typically answers emails from Edmunds and will guide you through the next steps.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I am very sorry for the inconsistent communication from us in regards to your vehicle. If you were to send us your case number, we could check for any updates on your case and would let your agent know that you're looking to get in touch.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Sarah,
    You are not telling me anything that I haven't all ready heard before. I have been told before "I promise I will call you back." AT this point GM is trying to frustrate me so I will give up. My problem is so onerous that it I believe GM is telling their reps to not call me back. You know my case number because I have emailed you before and nothing was done. I will try to seek resolution through the BBB and if that doesn't work I have all ready spoken to a lawyer that is willing to take my case. I am not the only customer that they have done this to and in my opinion, if GM doesn't feel it necessary to call back they are at the point that they just want me to go away. Like I said before, the truck is very dangerous to drive and a liability to have on the road. GM is not doing the right thing and it will catch up with them eventually. There are just too many of us with the same problem and unfortunately with big business the bottom line and not the people is what counts. Plus, they have their hands full with the Chevy volt safety recall! Obviously they have not learned their lesson with quality control. If you look at the BBB's claims, GM hold a close second to the top next to Toyota's Prius recalls of the previous year.
    So,
    Sarah or Christina are you saying that the same for all of us, because you have yet to respond to any of my postings?

I would really appreciate that.
    Sarah, I just read this....I will provide this info to you, what is your email address or how do I get it to you?
    Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Click on any member name to get to their Profile. Contact info will be there, if the member has elected to make their email public.
  • renickhrenickh Member Posts: 6
    i had the same issue in 2008 the dealership replaced the gauge cluster for free.
  • 03hd4by03hd4by Member Posts: 5
    To All In Limp Mode
    After three months of "Reduced Engine Power" message on my way to work everyday and having to go 15 mph and pull in a safe place to temporarily correct the problem on my 03 Silverado 1500hd 4x4 I think it is fixed. I told all my Ford friends I would never buy another GM again. I refused to take my truck (right before christmas)to the dealership after hearing all the "$ 1200 for Throttle body, electrical harness, TPS etc. and the many gm customers still having problems. I guess it was a good thing my truck did not start one of those times and all indications pointed to my fuel pump not working, so i replaced it myself for $334.00 for and ac delco, but the new pump did not work so we tracked it down after two days to one of the harness connectors at the bottem of the main fuse box that supplies power to the fuel pump. The female connector did not make good contact with the blade connector that is not very noticable. I hope this helps someone else before spending too much. I am still thinking about a Toyota for my next purchase instead of all my previous new gm's 1986, 1996, 1998, and 2003
    Well everyone, just received a call from Alice at the GMC today from the Business Resource Center regarding my "Reduced Engine Power" problem. She said that they can't do anything since my vehicle is over the 3 year/36,000 mi warranty. Last I check, I had a 5 yr, 100,000 mi power train warranty. I told her that most of my repairs were done during my warranty period. I only have 75K mi on my car, but is out of warranty because of time. She also stated that the dealership that worked on it was at fault. In addition, to add insult to injury, she told me that there are going to be some cars that are just going to have problems and that GMC would notify me if there is a recall. All I can say is, WOW! Way to sweep it under the rug! Has anyone resolved this issue with GMC? Anyone?
  • datsamoredatsamore Member Posts: 10
    Read my last post. You will see all the things that I did to finally solve it.
  • phiwifephiwife Member Posts: 4
    When our vehicle received the "Reduced Engine Power" message, our mechanic found a loose spark plug & a few blown fuses & it went away. Never happened again. :shades:
  • phiwifephiwife Member Posts: 4
    :) Our Stabilitrak disabled, Service Stability, disabled, etc messages :shades: had been on for a few months. We just found out that it was due to our wheel bearings were wearing out. We got them changed on Friday & all of the error messages have went off. We didn't spend "unnecessary money" because our "shade tree" mechanic is very knowledegable. :shades:
  • jen1017jen1017 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2003 Yukon driving on California freeway Friday night about 80mph in car pool lane, locks start making noise like they are trying to unlock and lock themselves, gauges were going crazy, reduced engine power display comes on. Managed to get off freeway and get towed to a independent shop. Truck starts up for them in morning no problems, once it gets hot it won't stay started. They trace it down to throttle body modular, replace modular and they can't get it to reprogram. Tow it to dealership for their suppose expertise and as of right now and 4 days later they can't reprogram it either....any suggestions??

Also been having problems with speedometer, driving down road at 30 miles an hour and look down and speedometer says I'm going 120. Fixes it self after a few days and is fine and then goes crazy after another few days.
  • lpigramlpigram Member Posts: 1
    so have you had anymore problems and before you got it fixed was your engine power reducing...
  • paco51paco51 Member Posts: 10
    Try to change with a local mechanic the throttle body harness and you see the diference
    Good look
    Hello Seebird,
    I have been dealing with this issue since I purchased the truck. They changed my throttle body, then 13K miles later that nasty light came on, I lost power, and almost got in an accident. Took it to the shop and they said that the throttle body needed to be cleaned. I have been trying to work with GMC, but they don't want to help me because I am out of warranty. I filed a claim with the Better Business Bureau, but since I am 6 months outside my powertrain warranty, my case is not looking good. I can't sell or trade in my vehicle because its a safety hazard. Just trying to figure out how to dispose of my vehicle. It's been at the shop since Christmas, because I am afraid to drive it home. Good luck getting anyone to do anything. I am sure that they are well aware of the problem, but don't want to do anything. I too filed a complaint with NHTSA. The GMC representative was kind enough to let me know that if there is a recall, they will notify me by mail! I would be very interested to hear when you purchased your car. I purchased mine in April of 2006 in California.
    I have two attorneys working my file...I will more than let everyone know. Our issues are all the same. Read my back file on here. Also, if your truck has been worked on for this issue before your warranty up, it falls under the warranty of powertrain still. I will keep everyone on here updated.
  • nowwhat2nowwhat2 Member Posts: 9
    Do you think that this has happened enough for a class action?
    Just wondering if any 2007 Yukons or Tahoes that are having the "Check Engine" problem were built in Arlington, TX like mine. If you look at your vin number, the 11th digit will tell you where your vehicle was assembled. Mine says "R."
  • paco51paco51 Member Posts: 10
    I had the same problem with my suburban 2004 reduced power warning and took me a while to figure it out what was the problem and my truck its fix since and I'm been driven my truck 150 miles every day for the last 5000. miles without that problem and here it’s the solution my son is electronic engineer from the USA navy and what he did was that he cut the wires from the harness that go to the throttle body one by one and soldering the pins that go to the throttle body because sometimes the wire inside of the cover of the wire its broke and docent make contact and nobody can't detect that so cut the wires about 1 1/2 inch from the pins and soldering again with new pins of the same pins found electric auto mechanic to do this and the problem will be fix GOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jcasado111@yahoo.com
  • ejcsueejcsue Member Posts: 14
    I cannot believe how wide spread this problem is. Everything I read is exactly wha I am going through right now. I have had my car (2003 Yukon XL) worked on for all of these reasons above now for at least 6 months if not more. We have replaced the throttle Body Module, TAC Module, all kinds of ground wires and code upgrades and more; and the "Reduced Engine Capacity" code continues to come up and the car will not accelerate.
    It is extremely dangerous as one mentioned before. I cannot put my family it the car and it is virtually worthless to me. I cannot believe this has not been a GM recall issue. We need to do more. Please keep us posted on your legal updates and if there are any class action suits. This is has to be addressed and resolved NOW!
    After researching this I think is does. I don' know how to go about getting this started do you?
    Well back again.. I brought my Yukon to a Chevy dealer to have them look at what the issue is. They said they had 3 other people that day with the same issue... CRAZY! They looked at all the work that was done and said that the issue is with the Throttle Body Connectors they should have been changed with the Throttle Body (my mechanic said he checked them and all the power was fine-try it, it might work) $525 later - I drove it home, it drove fine. I parked it in the drive way. 1 hour later... " Reduced Engine Capacity" no power again!!! This is a huge issue. GM has to do something!! We need to push this even more...
    I thought I read something about a bad batch of throttle bodies. Don't know if that's the case, but you may want to look into it.
    edited January 2012
    I am sorry that the initial repair attempt didn't resolve the issue. If we can assist in continuing to work with the dealership towards resolving this, please get in touch via email with more information, including your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.
    We look forward to hearing from you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • donewithgmsdonewithgms Member Posts: 24
    Same thing that happened to me....spent $500 on Monday, car had the same problem Wednesday morning....the dealership said that it had nothing to do with the throttle body replacement on Monday....after another $500 we got the car back. I still have intermittant problems, but I won't take it back to the dealerships since they obviously have no idea how to fix the problem. GMC won't do anything about it because my car is off warranty.

If your truck in no longer under warranty, I doubt you will get more than an "we reviewed your claim, but since it is no longer under warranty and there is NO recall there is nothing we can do".
  • bmcgheebmcghee Member Posts: 2
    I am so frustrated with General Motors and their handling of the Reduced engine power/stability track problem...

This truck a 2007 GMC Yukon....stopped again this morning on an upgrade with my wife trying to steer the car out of 18 wheel traffic that was trying to make the same upgrade...

It really frightened her... and enraged me...That close to being killed or injured because of what seems like a wide spread problem...

She could do nothing but pray that she didn't get hit by someone....sitting there in traffic like a sitting duck for slaughter...

What is General Motors doing about this problem....There should be a class action law suit to force General motors to do something...

I have been having this problem off and on and the dealer wanted to charge me to replace the throttle body....

What is going on and what are we as consumers to do about this very dangerous situation??
    I am on my second throttle body, do you think it is worth doing a third? I am not sure what to do at this point.. Reading all these responses I hope GM takes this seriously.. it is only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or killed.

Thanks for the helpful hint though!
    I agree with bmcghee... This is way out of control. I won't even let my wife or kids in the car at this point! That is when it does run!

GM Please do something quick!
    Sarah, (GM Customer Service)

I tried to send you an e-mail to your g-mail address but it got returned.. Is this your real GM address. Please respond with a way to get in touch with you. I don' want to post all my personal info on this if I don't have to.
    That's odd that the email would get returned. Try socialmedia@gm.com - this is the email that the gmail account forwards to.

If there is still difficulty, please let me know.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I am truly sorry that you and your wife were in this dangerous situation as a result of the reduced engine power concern. I am discussing this with my supervisor; I had added information from this thread to documentation for further consideration by GM, but it doesn’t seem to have moved as of yet. In the meantime, if you would like to get a Service Request established through Customer Service, please get in touch via email with more information (name/Edmunds username, the last 8 of your VIN and your involved dealership).
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • donewithgmsdonewithgms Member Posts: 24
    I have a 2007 Yukon XL. The 11th digit in the VIN is an "R".

The most frustrating thing is that GM clearly doesn't know how to fixt the problem, so they just keep having the dealers throw parts at it and see what sticks. Not their money, safety or time....so they don't bother to even look into the problem.
  • markammarkam Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem about 4months back. The dealership said it was the throttle body sensor! Fix it! Yesterday I'm driving and the same thing happens! So after reading all this I don't what part it could be!! Please let me know any info that can helpful so I don't can get this fixed!
    Did you get the throttle body replaced 4 months ago?
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    No the dealer said it was the throttle body sensor! I got it replaced then it happened again and I took it back and they said it was the throttle body!! I didn't have the money for the part and labor so I didn't get it fixed!! Then I read a lot of people have the same problem and changed the throttle body and the problem still occured! So i don't even think it's the throttle body!! I don't have the time and money to keep trouble shooting especially with dealership prices!! This problem is not safe!! We as customers should feel safe in our vehicles after all we are the ones buying and keeping GM in business!! Please give me helpful information because this is not cool at all!
    I'm sorry - I misread your original post. I hear you on wanting to make sure that your time and money are used wisely in addressing this issue; while I am not able to assist in diagnosing the potential cause behind the reduced engine power message, we are able to get a Service Request set up. This would allow us to work with you and your dealership and explore any options that may be available; while I cannot promise the outcome, we'd be sure to look through the situation thoroughly.

Please send us an email with more information, including your name/Edmunds username, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership, if you are interested in pursuing this. My coworker Christina answers the emails and will advise you as to the next step(s).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Do I send this info to your email or is there another address I send it to? Also does that mean I will get reimbursed if I replace the throttle body and the problem still occurs!! I need to know what the problem really is so I can get it resolved!! This is my only vehicle and I still need to take care of my regular day to day routines!!