Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Who plans on keeping their Corolla for 200K+ miles?

Comments

• mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    No, but I have the rocker panels, white-faced instruments & alloy wheels - venetian red pearl color.

The alloys still look good, as does the rest of the car - waxing 3x per year and washing at least 2x per month, or more if it gets road salt on it.
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Where in the manual does Toyota refer to flushing the transmission every 30,000 miles?
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    It probably doesn't, but that doesn't mean it doesn't need to be done. Tranny fluid breaks down over time and miles and that's what contributes to many premature transmission failures. Keep good fluid in your tranny and it will last A LOT longer. It's really a no-brainer. My Mazda MPV manual doesn't say anything about changing the fluid......ever! Any bonehead knows that's not gonna cut it!
    This "bonehead" got an "86" five speed manual Tercel with 158,000 miles on it never did a dam thing to the transmission, including adding fluid because it didn't need it, and the whole car still runs great. Other than the tranny the car is well taken care of. Clutch replaced once at 98,000 miles. Oil changed every 3,000 miles. But I understand what you are saying, it's best not to take any chances.
    Bottgers is saying to replace AUTOMATIC tranny fluid, not manual.

As stated before, I replaced my manual tranny oil at 60k, and probably won't do it again until 160k. If I had an automatic, I'd replace the fluid a lot more often.
    I'm only talking about auto trannies. Manual trannies are all together different. For one thing, they don't have tranny fluid in them, they have oil. The oil should also be changed, but I think the maintenance schedule only calls for it to be changed every 60K miles or so. Manual trannies are much more forgiving when it comes to fluid changes. I've known people who have put literally hundreds of thousands of miles on their manuals without ever changing the oil with no problems at all. Auto trannies aren't that forgiving. My '99 Corolla has 160K miles on it and the tranny oil has only been changed once and it still has the original clutch and is doing fine. If it had an auto tranny I'd be getting it flushed every 30K religously.
    No, in message #106 he was indeed referring to manual transmissions and that was the message my reply was for. My point was that manual trannys are "more forgiving" as he states, and I agree as my old car is a very good example.
    The "he" who posted that was me and I was referring to auto trannies. Re-read my post. I mentioned "tranny fluid" more than once in that post and manual trannies don't use tranny fluid.
    "My Mazda MPV manual doesn't say anything about changing the fluid......ever! Any bonehead knows that's not gonna cut it!"

Wasn't this bonehead remark made to those who don't change their manual transmission ever? Again, this is where my reply was referring.
    He means owners manual, and he said fluid, meaning automatic tranny. I don't think an MPV is even available with a manual.

Just trying to clear up a little mis-understanding. :D
    Gottcha! But, the first three years of the Mazda MPV were available with manual transmissions and Bottgers does state in message #101 and #108 that his was indeed one of those manual transmission equipped models. Thanks anyway for explaining his intentions.
    Why are you so hung up on this? I told you I was talking about automatic transmissions ONLY. Are you calling me a liar? Are you just looking for an argument? Let it go dude! And for the record I never said my MPV was a manual. Why would I say that when it's an automatic?
    No argument dude! Just pointing out your contradictions. Don't want anyone to get false information.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's move on, please. This isn't an MPV discussion anyway. ;)
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    that I hope to keep for 200K miles. Everything about that car makes me think it will make it without even breaking a sweat. No repairs at all so far, still on the original clutch, 107K miles, runs regular as clockwork.

I also have a (Corolla) Matrix, which at a mere 22K miles has already had two warranty repairs. On this car I have changed my tune. I think that just being a Corolla it has decent odds of making it to high mileage territory, but the car itself has me wondering, doubting...it just feels a little flimsy to last 200K miles, and the two repairs it has already needed cast doubt on its potential for longevity....which has me thinking I might not plan on keeping it long enough to see if it will make 200K....

But we will see. Perhaps it will go the next three years without any further trouble. I will be keeping it at least that long.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I never contradicted myself because I never said anything about changing the oil in manual trannies (until I apparently I had the clarify myself for you). It was a complete misunderstanding on your part (or you just can't comprehend what you read).
    Enough, please. We've had a misunderstanding about something not even related to the subject. It's time now to get back on topic.
  • aphexjbaphexjb Member Posts: 1
    I bought my '92 Corolla used from another student about 3 years ago, with 160k on the clock, for 500 bux. Since then, have been taking religious car of it, spent about $2k on maintenance over the past 3 years. I change the oil every 3k miles, use whatever my local mechanic recommends. I'm currently at 195k miles, and plan on reaching 200k sometime early next year. After 200k, I've decided to only spend money on scheduled maintenance, and will put up with any "annoying" maintenance issues, ie rattling windows, rust, etc. I figured I'll have gotten my money's worth out of it, and will see how long it will last. The car has been very trustworthy. The biggest problem I've had was replacing a timing belt that blew at 190k, and even that didn't do any damage to the engine. When I took it in for a tuneup, found that it still had the original factory sparkplug wires! I'm sure the car's body will give out before the mechanicals will, as it's already started to rust badly. Here's the car itself: The Beige Beast
    ...I wish this car had manual windows. These power window assemblies are just horribly designed. Both of the windows on the driver's side of my car operate unreliably. They always go down without a problem (of course), but they don't always go back up, so I can't use them at all. I don't know why it seems that none of the car companies can build reliable power window assemblies. I really wish I could get a Corolla with all the power stuff and manual windows. Unfortunately they just don't make them that way (or at least finding a used one equipped that way is impossible). That's the only real major complaint I have about this car.
    No problem with my '99's windows, but I seldom use them. The power lock on the driver's side just stopped working, but I'm not going to bother fixing it, since I still can unlock it with the key and lock it by pushing down the button.
    I've had problems with the power windows in every vehicle I've had that's had them, regardless of make or model. I don't know why no one can seem to design a power window assembly that will operate for the life of the vehicle. I guess something has to be the weak link and for me, that's always been power windows.
    Yes, I agree, I could do without the power windows.
    Currently have three Toyotas, had two previous, no problem whatsoever with the power windows. I also have a "94" Plymouth Minivan where the windows once gave me a problem going back up. Took the door panel off and soldered the wire to it's terminal rather than just the push-on connection. Never had a problem again. Maybe something you want to consider looking at.
    I think the problem with mine is there is something causing binding in the movement of the window regulator assembly and it causes an over-current with the power window motor which causes them to cut out. It doesn't act like a wire contact problem as the windows will ALWAYS go down. The problem only occurs when I try to put the windows back up. I think they're just poorly designed assemblies.
  • stryker1dnstryker1dn Member Posts: 9
    not sure what year corolla you have but i've recieved a bulletin on the window bolts holding the window to the regulator coming loose cause binding. if window binds it could possibly shatter the window. you may want to contact dealer and see if there is a recall for your car also.

enjoy..
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Well, I hadn't intended to keep the old timer this long, but it just turned over 140,000 miles. It's slowly falling apart, though. I have to put down the electric window and open the driver's side door from the outside, the headliner is unraveling, and the weatherstrip around the doors and windows are breaking off, but by golly, it's still running!
    You could just do like me and don't put your windows down anymore. My car has A/C so I just leave them up.
    Sounds like a good little car to me. All minor problems. What year is it? I don't think I would get rid of it. Curious though, how do you put the electric window down from the outside?
    Yes, I agree with terceltom, just minor issues. My '99 is going strong, only 105k or so. I think yours is a '98?
    Got a "86" Tercel I bought new, has about 180 K miles on it. Runs like a clock. Body is shot but who cares. Just gave it to my 23 year old son. I bought the car before he was even born. He loves it and won't part with it.
  • geobluegeoblue Member Posts: 71
    Nice car. They made it so that owners can do the maintenance themselves.Driver-friendly all around. Mechanically (and body-wise if outside salt states) it might go up to 400,000 miles. I have seen some. 1 million miles is possible too but since the car is 1992 we have to have somebody who drove the car 1,000,000/16 miles a year which is very unlikely. Who drives 63 thousand miles a year? That is why I have not seen a Corolla at a million miles or more on the odometer.
  • geobluegeoblue Member Posts: 71
    I drive something similar to that :)
    1994 Geo Prizm (everything but the stereo,battery,ABS system is Corolla). Auto transmission. Manual windows AND locks :)
  • BurgundiaBurgundia Member Posts: 8
    I could, but I just got an enormous raise at my new job and I wanted to reward myself with a new car, since a new house is out of the question here in SoCal, recession notwithstanding. :-)

I currently drive a 97 Corolla DX automatic with 146,000 miles on it. I've used synthetic oil most of the time, and "plus" gas instead of basic whenever possible. Only major part replaced was the starter about two years ago. Everything else is original. It's starting to show its wear, though, especially since half my weekly driving is now stop & go surface street traffic. Rear brakes went last month and they were less than 2 years old, and the engine needed a serious tune-up this month. The maintenance charges are adding up, but the real reason I'm trading it in is because prices are better now than they've been in forever.
    Congrats on your upcoming upgrade. Sounds like you've earned it! FWIW, running a higher octane fuel in your car really isn't a treat. In fact it doesn't do anything except cost and pollute more. There's no reason to run anything except regular unleaded in the Corolla.
    I don't understand.
    Cars made to run on Regular gasoline, your wasting your money!
    Right, there are absolutely no benefits to running mid grade or premium fuel in an engine that's made to run on regular unleaded.
    Sounds like bottgers misunderstood what you said. Sounds like he thought you had a problem with putting the window down and missed the fact that you have to reach through the window to open the door. :)

Anyone else have a high mileage Corolla story for us?
    It's a 1998 Toyota Corolla. And I don't put the electric window down from the outside, I do it from the inside, and reach out the window to grab the handle. It's been a great car, even better than the 1987 Chevy Nova I had before it, which was also a Toyota product, back when they were still majority Japanese. Kept that one 11 years, too.

146K miles and counting, just changed an original headlight. Damn, but these bulbs are expensive!
  • gerryagerrya Member Posts: 9
    89 basic corolla lasted me just shy of 400,000 km with minimal mtce. Engine/clutch were untouched, still was getting as-new fuel economy right to the end. Did the rad twice, gas tank, not a lot else, just kept changing oil every 10,000 km.
    02 corolla only went 7 years but also almost 400,000 km with truly almost zero repairs. Still in excellent condition overall, except for that big cloud of blue oily smoke following me around so I decided to dump it while I could still get a few bucks for it.
    09 corolla is a much nicer car, but I'm questioning the quality level. Hate the steering, fuel economy's not that great unless you drive at or below the speed limit all the time, a few fit and finish problems that I hadn't come to expect from Toyota.

One thing that's important for me: all 3 were built right here in Canada!
  • rdmccunrdmccun Member Posts: 1
    i can not tell you enough about the respect i have for this car! im 24 years old and i bought the car about 3 years ago with 220000 on it! every thing is perfect with it except the paint. it got me through college where i had to drive it about 120 miles a day for 2 years. great gas mileage about 35-40 depending on what gas i use. i drive her about 140 miles a day ( except weekends) and im done with the rest of my studies. iv sold my newer truck because i never drove it. i will never sell this car. i dont know how many miles it will eventually rack up but i know it will be alot.
    Wow, nice! They are great cars. Have you ever done any unscheduled repairs?
    There we go again! All of the good cars are refered to in the female gender as "her", why? Aren't there any good "he's" out there? Good luck with "her"! I hope she last you another 250K.
  • dona83dona83 Member Posts: 67
    Here's my Corolla when it read 335,000km on the clock, I sold her a year later at 360,000km (225,000 miles). I had her for 6 years since she was 225,000km and just had to change the timing belt, water pump, alternator, and clutch the whole time among maintenance (oil, tune up) items. The engine and transmission was still going strong and did not burn or leak any oil.

Picture of odometer @ 335,000 km!!!
  • toyoman3toyoman3 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 98 VE already reached 282,000 miles. It was ok till I decided to replace mounts with aftermarket units. BIG MISTAKE, now the car has so much noise and vibration that it has become unpleasant to drive anymore. I'm gonna have to put up with it cause I don't put anymore money than I absolutely have to into this car. Looking to replace it with another Corolla or maybe a Yaris hatch, I like that one. :sick:
  • daviddyerdaviddyer Member Posts: 1
    I got this car in 2001 when it read 131k.
    Today I got a new Corolla and traded it in. (Goverment's drive a clean machine program, got $3000 off on my new car). It read 246k today.

A/C is still very cold with the original compressor.
    Why woud you go with aftermarket mounts? Were the OEM ones too expensive?
    .....a '94 Corolla with 132K miles for our daughter. The car runs and drives beautifully, but I have no way of knowing when the timing belt was last replaced. Does the '94 have an interference engine? How often is the timing belt supposed to be replaced?
    Non-interference engine, so it just stops with no damage if it breaks. I think it is something like every 80k miles? If you have an owner's manual with the maintenance schedule, it will tell you Toyota's recommended replacement interval.
  • 2002corollaon2002corollaon Member Posts: 6
    I plan to keep the 2002 Corolla for another 3 years or 380,000km. The car has run smooth and quiet the past 6 years. I use Mobil synthetic oil. Just replaced the serpentine belt (should have done it earlier as many cracks on existing one). It was someone at a Mr. Lube who noticed. The dealership where I normally get the oil changed never mentioned it.

No major repairs that I can recall. Quite a few rotor servicing though. Starting to eat a bit of oil now but that's expected at 280,000km. The A/C is still running fine too.

My 92 Tercel was not as reliable. Had a transmission leak early on. Water pump leak. Engine gasket leaks a couple of times. I must not have been monitoring the oil level at the end and it was very low at one point. Tercel kicked the bucket at 240,000km. Blue smoke, low engine compression. Body was in very good condition though. Was told I could rebuild the engine for about $2,000 Cdn.
This discussion has been closed.