Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Starting and Stalling Issues

Comments

• biomassbiomass Member Posts: 7
    Just keep your foot away from the brake when you apply gas
  • jessemartinezjessemartinez Member Posts: 1
    it usually happens after i drive it for 5 or 6 hours...it dies...i put it on park turn it off then turn it back on and it starts 8 times out of 10...i have had the fuel pump replaced a week ago and it is still doing it...it does it when i have driven the car all day....does anyone have anyting like this happen to them
  • badjettabadbadjettabad Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 jetta. i am wondering if anybody else has had the same problem i've been having.

I've had to have my car towed 4 times in the past month to the dealership because my car keeps dying on me. and every time the dealership cant "duplicate the problem" so they send me on my way after keeping my car for 2-3 days, and like clockwork, my car will die again a week later and i'll have it towed back in.

What's been happening is that i will be coming off of the interstate and will come to a light. after about 2 lights my car will feel like it cant kick into the 2nd or 3rd gear. and by the third stoplight my car will just lock up and die. a battery light will flash for a few seconds but that's all that happends on the dash. i can normally start my car back up and drive it into a gas station. but it will continue to shut off, flash the battery light. I will have it towed in to the dealership, and when they look at the car they cant find anything wrong. they drive it 40+ miles, called the vw techs, run tests..etc..and nothing. they replaced the battery thinking it may help. but nope. car died again. i have no idea what could be wrong. the vw dealership is at a loss too because they cant figure out what is wrong. i do not feel safe in this car, but i feel stuck with it. HELP!!!
  • gordon23gordon23 Member Posts: 2
    We had a similar problem. Car would lose power on the freeway, not die but unable to accelerate 10 to 15 seconds later would get power back. In at dealer 4 x for them to look at. The 4th time they said they fixed it, I traded it in that very second. We bought another jetta and no problems, yet.

Good luck.
  • badjettabadbadjettabad Member Posts: 2
    This sounds like what is happening to my 2006 Jetta. It usually happens mid evening on my way home from work when i am getting off the interstate, and it will just die. i can normally start it up again but it will end up dying shortly after. My battery light flashes right before it completly shuts off. (just replaced battery, so this isnt the problem). the VW techs are baffled. they have no idea what is wrong with the car, because when they get a chance to look at it the next day after it was towed in, it is fine.
  • lostmrblzlostmrblz Member Posts: 1
    Try pushing up on the key slightly when starting in that siuation. differen temps can cause ignition problems in the switch, sounds crazy but try it
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    edited November 2010
    Your stalling issue is obviously not the battery - the reason the battery light flashes is thus...

That is not a "battery" light... but a "charge indicator light". If the alternator is not charging the battery, then the lite comes on. When your engine is spinning sssoooo sssllooowwwlllyyy that the alternator is not putting out enough power, the light will begin to illuminate.

In other words, that light has very little to do with your battery at all besides tellin you when it is not being charged.

So - the real question is how does one troubleshoot such an elusive stalling problem?
    ANSWER - Use laptop computer to monitor critical engine sensors while driving. The computer will take a 'snapshot' of all sensor conditions every second or so.The next time the stall occurs, the computer will have "captured" all the data leading up to when the problem happened.

The computer can graph all the data on the screen for human consumption.

Any reasonably intelligent tech should be able to troubleshoot the problem using this technique.
  • jetty2jetty2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 jetta and when I turn the car on it makes a sound that sounds like when you turn the key when the car is already on. What can it be?
    It could be the Starter
  • fordnutsfordnuts Member Posts: 19
    Sounds like a draw on the battery. Probably need to replace alternator. Consider also replacing door latch on driver's side. controls a bunch internal lights somehow.
  • fordnutsfordnuts Member Posts: 19
    edited December 2010
    We replaced the alternator. It was showing a false positive on the voltages. Also it was 3 years old with over 60K on it, so it was "due". Believe you instincts if your battery is dying and is relatively new, it's not getting power from alternator or plugs. Then also replaced the door latch mechanism located inside driver's side door. This device controls internal dome lights when door opening. Now have car back with full power and all the working lights.
  • jetta2001vr6jetta2001vr6 Member Posts: 1
    So I've recently encountered an issue with my Volkswagen Jetta where when I go to start it; it makes this clicking sound. First thought is it is the Starter because the lights and electonics all work. Luckily I have a warranty on the car still right? Well I call the warranty company and they recommend Pep Boys. So I tow the car there and they said something is draining the battery and charged it right up. The car starts right up and I drive it home. Well a day later and the same issue happens again. I take the battery out find out the maker of the battery "Everstart" which is made by Wal-Mart. So I take it to them and the battery tests out fine with no issues. It is covered under a 2 year warranty that expires in July '11. I end up having to tow it back to Pep Boys and they keep the car for 3 days just to put a washer on a thought issue. I pick the car up and drives fine.. infact it seems like it is running as good as the day I bought it. Next day.. dead again. They told me before I left Pep Boys that they wouldn't be able to work on the car anymore and recommended a Volkswagen dealer because they wouldn't or don't know of any other issue it could be.

Any thoughts?
    If you are *really* under warantee... then obviously let that handle it.

Personally, I never pay for those silly warantees and "self warantee". Hence, I would pull out my DVM (Digital Volt Meter) and troubleshoot/diagnose the problem and fix it.

Anyone with electronics skills should be able to isolate the problem in about 10 minutes.... fixing it might take another 20 minutes.

Most likely - you have a poor connection somewhere. Start at the PDC (Power Distribution Center) located on top of the battery. Those connections are known to get grungy and even burn up.
  • mikechung88mikechung88 Member Posts: 2
    My Jetta S has stalled on me twice while driving. Vehicle still moving and without warning. Did not use horn. Power just dies.
  • neglidneglid Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2011
    I had the same problem. I replaced the starter (which would not work until the battery was also replaced. It had a dead cell. I did it all by myself. It was a little rough changing the alternator. There is large bolt that requires a 1/2 inch deep socket. One good thing is that the engine light is now gone.
  • goob60goob60 Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to say thanks to bpeebles for the dreaded p1580 code fix I followed your steps and my 97 Jetta is running fantastic again.
    You are very welcome... it is rare to get feedback in the forums. Most folks just go away once they have an answer to their question.
  • cdq2cdq2 Member Posts: 1
    So I bought this jetta back in March a week after purchase the Altenator stopped working so for good measure we replaced both the altenator and the battery. Tuesday after work I get into my car and there is power but it just click click clicks when try to start it. I have my brother come over and we hook up jumper cables and the moment we connect them it fires up instantly. I shut it off right away and tried and again it fired up strong. It then sat for about 14 hours straight and my wife took it to work the next day and in the morning it fired up strong. She worked for about 5 hours and after she got off in the afternoon the same thing no start but once hooked up it fired up right away. I am on day 3 with me driving it so far after work this time it has fired up no problems. The battery and alternator were tested and they are working fine. Any suggestions as to why this is happening? Oh and the vehicle has 72,000 miles on it if that helps
  • thebear2011thebear2011 Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I leased a 2011 Jetta S automatic yesterday and TODAY (less than 24 hours later) it stalled going down a steep, long & windy hill (Laurel Canyon). Having it towed to the dealer tomorrow to have it go through an inspection that it should have just passed. When I spoke with roadside assistance, the operator said that this happens a lot with "those 2011s". The manager said that replacing the car (which is smelling like a lemon) is unlikely. In addition to being angry and frustrated, I don't trust that the problem isn't going to happen again, particularly after reading some of the other posts. Can anyone tell me what to do when an automatic stalls like this? My husband said that steering was difficult & the brakes barely worked, but he managed to pull over and get the car to a stop. Can you restart an automatic while you're in drive? If anyone has a step by step "what to do in the event..." I would be so grateful. This was meant to be our family car for me and our 2 little girls.
    edited July 2011
    Here are some notes which I hope will help you out. I would strongly suggest PRACTICING so you are comfortable with the process.

(To practice, turn off engine while in a 'safe' area...1st with vehicle stationary... then while moving slowly.)

*) By law, your brakes will work well for about 2 times DO NOT PUMP the pedal or you will lose all the reserve-vacuum and braking will become very difficult. (again, you can practice this while stationary)

*) I believe the 2011 VW has ELECTRIC STEERING... since I have little experience with this technology, I will not guess about how it behaves when engine stalls.

*) It is always safe to put automatic xmission into NEUTRAL and try to restart the engine. (NEVER in Park...lest you may damage the parking- pawls)

*) Most VWs force you to turn the key OFF before attempting to restart. Beware that if you leave the key in OFF position, the steering-lock may prevent steering... hence DO NOT LEAVE KEY IN OFF POSITION FOR MORE THAN A MOMENT WHEN RESTARTING ENGINE.

Personally, I see this as a serious SAFETY issue... not just a squeek or a leaky sunroof kind of problem. Hence, I would speak to a high-level person at dealership and make it clear that they will be liable if someone gets injured. Just to prove the point, I would even have something written-up and ask them to sign it so they know you are serious about it.

(I have done this with new tires that kept going flat.... when I asked if I had to have the the family in the car get hurt before they did anything about it... they quickly installed 4 new tires of a different brand)

Good Luck!
  • jettaqueenjettaqueen Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2007 Jetta and the past two weeks it hasn't started as smoothly as it did in the beginning. Although it would finally start, the Electro-Mechanical Power Steering Assist Reduced light would come on and then turn off once I started driving. I just went to start my car and it will not start at all. It does turn over, however. If I try to keep turning the key it will click rapidly a few times and all the lights turn out and it dies. While I'm hoping it's a problem with the battery I'm starting to think it's more since the car turns over. I know very little about this kind of stuff. I just don't understand why the power steering light came/comes on? Any help before I call tripleA in tomorrow would be greatly appreciated!
  • spitfire122spitfire122 Member Posts: 1
    Just curious if you ever located the cause of this problem? I have the same car and the same problem.... I was thinking about having the fuel pump replaced, but its starting to sound like that might not be the problem. Thanks!
  • kevinj3kevinj3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Jetta 1.8 not starting. The engine turns over but no run, any suggestions. Happened after driving home one evening, came out next am but no start. Thanks.
  • dustyrm817dustyrm817 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Jetta 2.5L and I was on a four hour road trip when my car felt like it was stalling. I pumped the gas and it jerked but continued running. It did this a few times on the way there. I was freaked out...I had my two kids with me in the desert!!! I was figuring it was bad fuel and the higher altitude. I had no warning lights....nothing. It continued about 5 more times. (There were no exits or I would have stopped immediately) By the time I had reached an exit, the car was running perfectly. I had no problems over the weekend while driving up and down the coast and around town. When I was driving back home, I had no problems until I was in the higher altitude. I did check on VW's website. My car has been recalled for fuel system, gasoline delivery, hoses, lines/piping and fittings. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this issue while driving. I'm going to call VW in the am to have it fixed, but the problem is driving me crazy. My husband and I have owned Volkswagens for over 10 years and this is the first and only problem we've ever had (KNOCK ON WOOD). Anyone experience the same problems?
  • jmramos6jmramos6 Member Posts: 1
    Ok my 2007 jetta will not start sometimes... Every like four days it gives me problems starry it just clicks today it did it and I went back out and it started but the traction control light won't turn off and the steering wheel light is on and yellow any reasons y it would do that
  • jcnicole86jcnicole86 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the EXACT same problem, my car has been in the shop over a week now. I have an 07 Jetta wolfsburg ed, with about 67k miles on it. It was having trouble cranking up for a while then finally gave out. It will only run with a jump but the mechnic where the car is will no longer work on it he cannot figure out the problem so for now I am stuck w/o a car. Please help...did you find the problem?
  • joeboogie83joeboogie83 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 GLI 2.0t and it does the same thing when I go on long road trips. It's like the fuel injection shut off for like a few seconds then it comes back on. Then the next day my car runs perfectly fine. I'm guessing it's a fuel censor. Did you fix your car yet? If so please let me know what the problem was. Thanks
    :shades:
  • joeboogie83joeboogie83 Member Posts: 2
    Did you get the car fixed?
  • 2003vwjetta2003vwjetta Member Posts: 2
    2003 jetta will not start unless you push start, then it runs fine no issues. When you turn the key to start it, there is no noise at all, evey thing lights up like normal, buqt there is no starter noise or any thing. Any ideas how to trouble shoot.
  • maybecalimaybecali Member Posts: 1
    Today my car started to give that feelings as if it was going to die on me. I live in AZ and I know the temps have been extremely hot, but I just had the works done on the car a few months ago ($1000) to ensure it was in its top form. This concerns me as I spent the money to prevent things like this from happening.... I tried calling the VW car center but of course closed on a Sat. Can anyone tell me what happened at the dealership, cause the amount it costs to fix it

Thanks
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    Sounds like your battery may be somewhat low, and won't allow the starter motor to turn over. Sometimes the battery will have enough juice to turn on the lights, radio, etc., but won't start the car. I would take it to a shop and have them check the battery. If your battery is 4 years old or so, it is probably time to replace it.

Bel Air Car Guy
  • jenniferbeach8jenniferbeach8 Member Posts: 1
    My car has recently been shutting off while idling or in the parked position. I've taken it into the VW dealer four times and they cannot seem to find out why it just shuts off. They have cleaned the fuel injection system because they initially thought it the problem. My battery recently went completely dead - they had to replace it. Now the car is running fine again and it probably won't give me any issues for another few weeks until is shuts off again. No CEL signals no others lights - they find no errors in the system. :sick:
  • dustyrm817dustyrm817 Member Posts: 2
    @ Jenniferbeach8--there was a recall on 2007 Jetta ignition coils. Have you gotten those replaced? My car was just shutting off while driving. It'd start right back up again, but as soon as the ignition coils were replaced, I've had no problems whatsoever. Best of luck!!!
  • lois18lois18 Member Posts: 1
    we have the same problem recurring ever since we bought the car new but only when it gets to 82 farenheight or more and driving for 1 hour or more. we have had it into the dealer numerous times but they're stumped. they've replaced the mass airflow. we have no lemon laws in Canada and don't know what to do next. We can't go anywhere when it's summer.
  • russamjusrussamjus Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2011 VW JETTA W LESS THAN 2000 MILES ON IT. SEEMS WHEN YOU PUT THE KEY IN THE IGNITION AND TRY TO TURN IT, THE KEY WILL NOT MOVE TO START THE ENGINE. AFTER SEVERAL ATTEMPTS THE KEY WILL TURN AND THE CAR WILL START. TRYING TO MOVE THE STEERING WHEEL, OPENING THE DRIVER DOOR, CLOSING IT, ETC. DOESN'T WORK. HAD THE CAR IN FOR SERVICE @ 1500 MI TO FIX IGNITION KEY COMPLAINT. THE "FIX"
    ( LUBRICATING THE IGNITION CYLINDER BY SERVICE PERSONNEL) LASTED TWO WEEKS. THE PROBLEM STILL EXISTS. ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS SITUATION? I AM TO SAY THE LEAST, FRUSTRATED!!!!
  • sbeharsbehar Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE 2011 JETTA SPORTWAGON TDI DSG HAVE HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS FROM A STOP MERGING INTO TRAFFIC SOMETIMES HAVE TO PUSH PEDDLE 3/4 OF THE WAY DOWN BEFORE IT TAKES OFF LIKE PASSING GEAR. MINE ALSO TAKES OFF NORMAL THEN DIES OFF THEN TAKES OFF AGAIN. AND ON HILL STARTS IT WILL ROLL BACK LIKE IT IS IN NEUTRAL WHEN YOU TAKE OFF THE BRAKE. DOSE NOT HAPPEN ALL THE TIME JUST ENOUGH TO MAKE ME LEERY, ONE TO FOUR TIMES A DAY THEN MAYBE MISS A DAY THEN MAYBE TWO DAYS IN A ROW SOME WORSE SOME BETTER. HAVE HAD IT IN TO DEALER 4 TO SIX TIMES NOW THERE SAYING THATS THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO WORK. I THINK ITS IS A SAFETY ISSUE. AND HAVE GOT IN TOUCH WITH BBB AND SAFECAR.GOV AND MADE COMPLAINT. GOOD LUCK. WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT.
  • northeasttdinortheasttdi Member Posts: 3
    I've described it as a "lurch" or "hiccup" to my local VW CS guys and techs. I bought a brand new manual TDI Jetta Sportwagen last July and I've been totally happy with it...until this symptom. I could be crazy but I started noticing this symptom after a routine update of the cars computer was done at about 20K (I don't have the service records with me). This is what I notice: It happens during each of the following situations, but never predictably or reliably. Either in 3rd gear at about 35mph when I'm pressing lightly on the accelerator only with my right foot (and my left foot only resting on the floor mat) the vehicle will be motoring along smoothly and then suddenly, without any change from my body or foot pressure, the vehicle will loose power for a brief moment (3/4 second) and seemingly coast during this time, and then regain the same amount of power. This causes a the sensation of a hiccup, lurch or yes hesitation. The second instance I notice this identical symptom is when I'm driving on the interstate at highway speeds and I remove my foot from the accelerator, it will momentarily begin to reduce speed but then suddenly it will accelerate again as if I hadn't taken my foot off the accelerator for only a moment, and then stop accelerating and begin slowing down again. This, to me, is more of a lurch.
    In any case, neither symptom was present immediately following purchase but are now a regular yet unpredictable characteristics of my new vehicle during all driving conditions.
    The dealership agreed to have me ride with a tech who said he thought he experienced the symptom during our test drive. He drove the vehicle to and from his own home for several days with diagnosis equipment hooked up to the car. The CS person verbally admitted that the tech had experienced thy symptom and denied that I was "crazy". The tech placed calls to VW repeatedly and finally, about a month ago, replaced the computer of the car (I'm forgetting the technical name for the component).
    I didn't notice the symptom for a bit and then it came back. I brought the vehicle back to them and today over the phone the CS person told me that nothing was wrong that this is a symptom of the diesel engine.
    I intend to keep pressing the issue because it didn't always drive like this. I am beginning to become a bit skeptical in VW's ability to solve the issue - it appears they are as confused as I. I'm wondering if this is approaching limits of the lemon law and I think I might, as well, be in touch with the BBB and safecar.gov very soon if they cannot solve this symptom. If anyone has any information out there, please let me know.
  • carrtcarrt Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    I am experiencing the same problem except my jetta tdi has an automatic transmission. I was told it is the transmission hunting or deciding on which gear to be in. It does not feel that way at all. It is exactly as you described. I am holding the accelerator steady and it begins to hesitate and lunge slightly. It happens at different speeds and happens much more frequently when the engine is still cold. It has been happening since I bought the car new. I had a number of VW TDI vehicles and never experienced this type of problem. I agree that VW has their heads in the sand on this issue.
    The VW mechanic said just press the accelerator to resolve issue.
  • jacque26jacque26 Member Posts: 1
    I just got my volkswagen Jetta and at the beginning of the day when I start it, it makes a grinding noise (as if I held the key in for too long) But I do it the same everytime and at the end of the day if I've driven it some that day it doesn't do it.. What could be causing this?
    Perhaps the starter return spring is 'weak' - hence it is not disengaging properly.
    Hi Carrt,
    Thanks for replying. So I believe that it was the ECM (Electronic Control Module) that was replaced a couple months back that has reduced the severity of the symptoms we're both experiencing. I'm bummed that it still happens because it seems like it should be so simple for them to fix.
    I have a 2010, I noticed that yours is a 2011. The only reason I mention this is because I noted in the service records after the ECM was replaced the old ECM had a level of 3 or 4 and the new ECM had a level of 7.
    I really don't know what this means but I'm convinced that it has something to do with cars software. I believe this because the symptoms started right after a computer update occurred during the 20K maintenance.
    I was lucky enough to run into a VW head tech who now runs is own shop in the area. After describing the symptoms and having him review the service notes he too believes that it is a software issue that VW has not yet solved. He was nice enough to email some of his colleagues in VW at the regional and national level, but unfortunately I have not heard anything back from him.
    I keep you posted if I hear anything more.
    It's difficult because I can't get the vehicle to display the symptom upon demand so when I try to display the symptom to VW it doesn't necessarily happen.
    I guess that VW needs to admit the problem and attempt to fix it three separate times prior to any lemon law action.
    In any case, the advice to simply press on the accelerator to resolve the issue hardly carries any merit.
  • chris_armchris_arm Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Jetta Sportswagon TDI with an automatic transmission that is experiencing the same problem and wanted to know if you are also experiencing a hesitation when making a quick stop at stop signs? Would also appreciate any updates on possible fixes.
    Thanks,
  • bestcarseekerbestcarseeker Member Posts: 2
    Thanks northeasttdi for describing this problem, exactly. Your's is not the only manual TDI that has this hiccup problem. Mine is also a 2010 Jetta Sportwagon with manual transmission and does exactly as you describe: it hesitates only for a split second, typically in third gear around 35 mph, but sometimes in 4th, and it always occurs when the engine/transmission is under very light load, such as on a slight downhill grade with no acceleration. It happens both when the engine is hot and when it's cold. This has been happening since we bought the car new in 2010, and it now has 22,000 miles. No dummy-lights have ever come on, period, and I got a similar response from my local dealer...they even suggested I might not be buying the best quality diesel fuel. I was so mad I almost lost it.

I have not really experienced the hesitation at highway speeds (never beyond 50 mph), and I've never had a problem at stop signs or initial take-off. Some of those problems almost sound like automatic transmission issues that I've heard described elsewhere about VW automatic transmissions. Some people may be experiencing two different problems with this car.

In any event, VW has a problem with this engine or transmission. I don't know which it is, but they have to know about it. I intend to take your post back to VW and say "look, I'm not the only one". Please keep pushing on your end and let us know if you achieve satisfaction. Thanks again for getting the issue posted.
    Bestcarseeker:
    I don't experience our issue at stop signs or lights either - I hope that you catch this chris arm. Chris arm, does it happen when you are stopping or when you are starting again?

I'm both relieved to read there's another vehicle of the same vintage demonstrating identical symptoms, but bummed that you too are suffering the issue.

You bring up a a good point that the engine/transmission is under light load when it happens at slower speeds. Recently, I've noticed it in 4th gear too, but mostly in 3rd at about 35. I've tried to isolate the issue to the engine temperature. It seems to happen more when cold, but also happens after having warmed up.

I'll keep you posted to any action taken by VW. I hope to take a ride with the CS manager at my local dealership soon. Let me know your dealerships reaction after you bring in my posting. Maybe we should have our dealerships talk, but then again, if they really are stuck then that wouldn't help us out at all.
  • nap311nap311 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 jetta 2.0 w/ automatic transmission. What only happened once in a while has now become a daily occurrence. If I leave the car alone for a few hours it's ok to start. But when you try to start the car within a few minutes of turning it off is when the real fun begins. It hesitates and when when it finally does start the rpm revs up to almost 2500-3000 and after about a minute it calms down. I've also noticed that it burns a lot of oil and I'm at the point where I check it every month and have to replenish it each time. I didn't have any leaks until last week when I noticed a few small spots underneath the car on my driveway. I'm not sure if the oil issue has something to with the start up problem. I read somewhere the it may be oil leaking onto the spark plug and the car works "extra" to burn that oil off at the start up. Not certain if that makes any sense........any information would be greatly appreciated:) thanks!
  • morpheus_1morpheus_1 Member Posts: 1
    Ditto. I bought an automatic 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI at the end of September. I was leasing another car and that lease ended on November 1st. Until November 1st, I didn't drive the Jetta. However, I've now driven it for a little over one week and I've been having the "hiccup" or "lurchu" or, as the service gentleman put it, "like being a passenger in a standard car with a driver who is not an experienced manual transmission driver." I typically experience this when the car is cold and I'm going less than 35 mph. Once the car warms up, I don't experience the hiccup. However, I've noticed the car trying to find the right gear and revving extremely high. This happens when I'm in S on 2nd gear attempting to slow down from 35 to 30 or 30 to 25mph.

The service manager said that it is a "characteristic" of the DSG engine. This is my first VW (I just got out of a lease on an Infiniti G37S Coupe). I've driven the VW for a week. If the symptoms I've experienced this past week are a known "characterstic" of the car, I'll be trading out of it before the year's up and not purchasing another VW product again.
    You asked for information... here it is:

I have been "inside" engines several times and I am not sure how oil can "get onto" sparkplug whilst it is not running. (virtually impossible)

It is possible for ANTIFREEZE to leak into combustion-chamber when hot engine is turned off and there is a leak in the head-gasket. The pressure in the cooling-system can push the antifreeze into the combustion-chamber.

This would make engine hard to start after it sits for awhile because the water in the combustion-chamber makes the engine "work harder" to keep itself running.

To check for this type of problem, check the exhaust-pipe when you initially start the engine, it will be blowing white smoke (steam) for a minute or so until the water is blown from the system.

As for your oil-consumption issue, the VW 2.0L engines are KNOWN to consume some oil (for 2000 - 2002 model-years) This is not damaging in any way as long as you keep some oil in the trunk so you can top it up when you get gasoline. That is FAR cheaper than paying to get it fixed.

Also, it would be wise to clean your snowscreen annually. On the MKIV VWs, it gets pretty plugged up after 12 months of driving.

You may also wish to clean your MAF (Mas AirFlow) sensor.
  • miechele21miechele21 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get this problem fixed??
    My 2001 VW Jetta is doing the same exact thing. It will run fine for a week or a could days then all the lights will flash on dash and the car will eventually lose all power and shut off. I had my car towed to my dad's house and he looked at it first assuming it was the alternator but he had my car running and then unplugged the battery and car stayed running. He re-routed some of the wires in the little black box on top of my battery, but we still haven't figured anything out.
  • nap311nap311 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you very much. After reading this I'm starting to get the feeling it has something to do with the Mas Airflow sensor. Going to try to clean that and the snowscreen this weekend.
    Dont forget that that the MAF in your 2002 may have been part of a "manufacturers extended warantee" where VW chose to replace the MAFs for an extended length of time beyond the 'standard' VW warantee.

I doubt that your mileage is still within that extended coverage... but my point is that the MAF was KNOWN to be failure-prone and VW tried to make things right for many folks who had problem with it.

Be VERY careful when cleaning the MAF... the guts are EXTREMELY delicate. Harsh chemicals or physical abraision can destroy it. Basiclly - spray some MAF-safe carb-cleaner on it and let it dry.

Good luck!