Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    A $300,000 home in Texas has about the same square footage as a $600,000 home in Denver area. Worse still is that same $300,000 mansion in Texas would cost at least 2 or 3 million in most of California.
         Hard to understand as Texas is a nice place to live.
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    assuming that we live in a world with budgets. In that world, certain guys are going to buy a tahoe to fit their ways and means. An upscale guy might indeed choose a denali or Escalde for status and to have a higher optioned vehicle. This might even be a socio-economic fact, but there are exceptions. I am an exception. I wanted the bigger Denali engine for fun. Plus, my wife, who makes much more than me, (a humble teacher) drives a yukon SLT.
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Hey guys, you are all right. The world is full of the all-flash, no-cash guy who is over his head and upside down in (probably leased) vehicles. On the other hand, for another perspective look at the New York Times best seller, The Millionaire Next Door. The people with real net worth tend to invest, not spend, and often are going to work in pickup trucks.

Having said that, there is a significant correlation between income level and which car you drive. We know that there is a relationship between which area of the country you live in and the color car you prefer. We also know that some cars sell predominantly in a few specific colors (e.g., a lot of S Class Mercedes seem to be black; E and other Class Mercedes seem to be in silver; lots of Navigators seem to be in Black, etc.). What I didn't realize was that for quite similar (except for transaction price) SUVs there would be a systematic difference in color preference.
  • dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    I agree. Certainly it is true that some general conclusions can be drawn wrt vehicle choice. If there weren't, then ad agencies are only selling the illusion that they know how to target an appropriate audience. Oh wait! That is what they are selling!?! Ok, well, never mind that....

But, of course, assumptions about a specific person's economic state based on what vehicle s/he drives or attempting to predict what a specific individual might choose if you know their socio-economic status are bound to be wrong with fair regularity.

Another thing that complicates things is that these associations tend to change over time. For instance, when I first moved to the Dallas area (from overseas) almost 6 years ago, I noticed that white seemed to be the single most dominant color of vehicles on the roadways. That made sense to me since that color would do best in staving off the relentless Texas summer heat. Perhaps significantly (or perhaps not!), that was the last year of a string of hotter-than-average Summers.

The last few years have been somewhat cooler. Whether for that reason or changing tastes, I have since noticed that white no longer is so dominate here and other colors are vying for the top spot (though they seem more evenly distributed amongst more colors).

OK then, class, what are the sociological implications to the Denali (that being the topic)? ;-)
  • mtm13mtm13 Member Posts: 9
    I did some researching back into previous postings and most extended warranty discussions was from middle of last year. I have a '02 Denali that unfortunately has been racking up the miles - although it has performed flawlessly. I want to get an extended warranty before the factory is up and what my local GMC dealer is quoting is absurd.

Has anyone else bought either the GM Major Guard plan or other non-GM extended warranties lately?

I would also be curious to see if there are specific plans that have better item coverage than others? If anyone has researched this lately, I could really benefit from some hands on advice.

Thanks!
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    I purchased a Chrysler extended warranty on my 01 Denali. GM warranty was too high and I was concerned about aftermarket warranty companies, so this was a good compromise.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    On the other hand, I went with the GM Protection Plan. Yes, it was more expensive than other plans. However, the one thing that sold me on the GMPP was the short list of excluded wear and tear items - if it ain't specifically excluded, it is covered. I had a bad experience with another plan (the identity of which will be withheld - it was a very large company, however) that denied coverage on an alternator bearing that was failing, but had not completely failed. I was not willing to roll the dice on getting stranded when the bearing finally decided to go on holiday and had the bearing replaced - at a cost of $250 (!!!). (Labor rates in the S.F. Bay area are so high....)
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    Shop the GM dealers, I've bought several and they can offer different discounts. The last one I bought was a 6 year/100k $0 deductible for about 50% off their original offer. I noticed some dealers use it as incentive and others as a money maker.
    I also tried a "Non-automanufcturer" warranty about 12 years ago and had to fight for every claim.
    I never had to use the GM policy I purchased on my 2001 Denali and I got probably 75% of it refunded when I sold the vehicle. (you can also pay a fee to transfer it to the new owner.)
    I don't know if its a by-product of drive by wire or transmission programing, but, my downshift or passing gear seems to have a mind of its own. One day when I really nail it under 30, it kicks down and pulls like a vette. The next time absolutely nothing happens but more gas. Same scenario at hiway speeds. One day it drops a gear or two and I make a smooth merge, the next time... nothing, just bogs down with more throttle. It is actually kind of dangerous when its unpredictable. This is on dry roads. I don't believe the traction control is a factor.
    avolvofan, wow! Throwing in a rebuilt Delco small case, single wire alternator should be a 30 minute job plus $45 for the alternator.
    I used stronger language when I learned how much I was going to have to pay. Which is why I went with GMPP - if it is not specifically excluded (wear and tear items), it is covered (no ifs ands or buts). The best thing I could advise is to shop around to get the best price for the coverage that one wants.
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    Wow, I guess I'm not the only one--the same thing you just describe has occured on my '04 DXL; although it seems happens once in a blue moon, it has occurred with my vehicle on at least two separate occasions. Of course the service tech says that there's nothing wrong, and that there were no service/trouble codes. Why am I getting the feeling that GM's troubleshooting rule-of-thumb is that if their diag tool doesn't find any error codes (where/when applicable), then there's no reason to diagnose an issue any further?
    Its sounds minor, but when you really need the power, sometimes its not there. I have adjusted my driving to compensate. I had a f-350 diesel pick up years ago... it's kind of like that.
  • bchambers1bchambers1 Member Posts: 3
    I think I'm sold on a shorty denali (04). But I tow a 27 foot travel trailer (dry weight ~5k lbs) through the rocky mountains. Anybody with experience with a similar size load? I'm concerned about power up those long grades. I'm also concerned about excessive sway with that long a trailer and only 116" wheelbase. But I can't fit the XL in my garage.
  • fdhd27fdhd27 Member Posts: 2
    i've a 04 dxl that makes a whistling noise when i'm pressing on the gas pedal. the noise starts at around 25mph and up. when i take my foot of the gas pedal or have it on cruise control i don't hear the noise. the dealer said that is coming from the tranny and it's normal for the new yukon and seirra denali line. the noise must be a special bonus from gm. has anyone else had this problem?
  • bigsurbigsur Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Does anyone have info. or a web site I can go to on how I can adjust the projector Denali type headlights? Can the light beam be adjusted both up and down and side to side? I installed a pair on my new 2004 Yukon, very easy change from the standard Yukon headlights. These are real New GM Denali Headlights. Dealer said they are aligned OK, but I feel the right light is a bit low. Any info. would be appreciated.
    THANKS!
  • bberisford1bberisford1 Member Posts: 18
    Sorry I can't help on Projector adjustment question. I would like to state my opinion on the projector headlights on my '03 Denali YXL. The low beam pattern is not as uniform as the traditional headlights on my previous '01 YXL. There are 'holes' or spots with less illumination than others. High beam is even worse. Lots of holes. This was not the case with my '01 which had pretty uniform illumination over the entire pattern in both low beam and high beam.

I dont' think it's a problem with projector beam technology.....I think it's a problem with lenses. I have projector beams on my Lexus and get a nice uniform lighting pattern in both low and high beams.

Barry B
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Added rims and did a 1/3 drop on the Denali. What was amazing was that I had just developed the steering clunk. After the drop it disappeared.

Even after the drop and tires, the rear was a little jumpy from side to side over bumps on the freeway. Changed the rear sway bar and it disappeared too.
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    What type of aftermarket sway bar did you use: what diameter, cost, supplier? I think the Denali handling is amazing when unloaded, but under weight or towing, a larger sway bar in the rear would probably increase stability for that extra margin of comfort and safety. I added a sway bar to a large conversion van and the additional directional stability was amazing.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    http://www.truckworld.com/How-To-Tech/03-hotchkis-swaybar/03-hotc- hkis_swaybar.html

Most seem to agree that Hotchkis makes the best with Hellwig second.
    this forum dead!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If it was dead, it'd auto-archive :-)

Something about Spring just forces people out of their Yukons and away from their computers.... my laptop should arrive in a week or two and then I'll be able to read the boards from my hammock :-)

Steve, Host
    I finally sucumbed to the wilderness with my denali today. Several days of rain and a forrest cut down left a giant mud hole and many trails inhabited by back hoes and D-9 cats. As there was no chance for brush scratches I took the plunge. 2 1/2 tons of 52K 4 wheeling terror. The truck did well. It reminded me that it is a truck underneath all the leather and plastic. I tried some mud 4 wheel slides, but forgot to turn off the stabilitrac and it rode like it was on rails. As I had no 4 lo, I tended to keep my momentum at a rapid rate. As an old jeep 4 wheeler, something never seemed right. Driving at 30 MPH with the sat radio on, auto-ride soothing the trail, and climate control keeping me comfortable, was not the same as the old days. The truck performed better than expected and it did show what the GM's are really made of. I'm going back tomorrow with the kids!
    the bad thing about 4 wheeling in a denali is the clean up. The car wash waved me off. I had to clean it my own self. All the cladding and running boards are no fun. The pile of mud and rocks on my driveway are no fun... I wonder if my dad thought it was fun when I hosed off my 4 wheeler in his driveway. The hose nozle fit into crevices on one side but not the other. Build quality? I guess, as this is now my own personal diary, I can reflect about other things as well... maybe politics?
    That (reflecting on politics) will invariably get you flamed.

On the subject of off-road capability, the only real issues are the lack of a low gear and the long wheelbase. And, yes, clean-up afterward is a challenge.
    although I think even the flamers are taking a break on this forum. I guess I'll have to slander a mustang or GTO to get some action. The Denali seemed capable off road, but the seat of the pants feel was not there. I guess the Escalade would be about the same. A Tahoe with the Z 71 and skid plates might be best of the family.
    Actually, if you go to the Toyota or Nissan forums and flame their wannabe trucks, you will almost certainly get some action. (Kind of like taking a baseball bat to an african bee hive....)

On the subject of the Tahoe with skid plates, you can put the skid plates on the Denali. Personally, I prefer the ride (courtesy of Autoride) of the Denali. At that point, the only thing going for the Tahoe over a Denali is the low gear. Take a winch along with you and you can always pull yourself out of trouble. If the going is getting rough, sometimes a low gear just gets you further into trouble. So, don't know about the benefit of the low gear either.... As you can probably tell, I really like the Denali....
    Although a low range in the Denali is sure to be a benefit in some situations, the large 6.0L generates enough torque to pull itself out of most any situation a stock Denali can get itself into. As for skid plates, has anyone ordered the z71 skid plates and put them on the Denali? How many of them are there?
    I've been looking at large SUVs to add to our rag tag fleet. While the Nav may offer newer technology and a nicer interior features, I finally realized that at 5'10" there is no way I can ever get into a Nav without using the running boards. With the GM SUVs, its from the street to the seat in one step. That's a big benefit in the real world. So, now I'm looking seriously at the Tahoe/Yukon and the Denali.

Here's my dillema: I don't want to spend the 44K on a Denali yet when I option up a Tahoe LT or Yukon SLT with the options I want (side air bags, stabiltrack, tow package, etc.) I'm close to a transactional price I think of the very high 30's. A 2003 (year old) Denali has a Edmunds private sale price of 35.6K.

Question: Do I go for a used Denali and get "free" the 6.0 engine, marginally better (bigger convertor) transmission, better ride (autoride) for the same price as a brand new Yukon SLT/Tahaoe LT with the three options above? The only downside I can think of is that I give up the low range and "lose" say 15K in miles and initial warranty. Sounds like a no brainer.

What does the board think?
    cubes... more power!!! Autoride, stabilitrac, rear heated seats (a must for kids), resale, awd, 17 inch rims, mono tone paint, plus, it is on the same platform as the world's best selling truck in the world "GMC-Chevy combined". I too, love my Denali. Had it off road again tonight with the whole family... flawles in the bog again.
    I can't think of a reason to go for a new Yukon/Tahoe when there are many great nearly new Denalis available.
    If you drive a Denali and a loaded Yukon/Tahoe back to back, there is more of a visceral difference in drive than the few distinctions on paper. If you find a clean used one, you can always add the GM extended factory warranty for good measure with the cost savings.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A newspaper reporter aims to interview people who are dealing with vehicle recalls, especially of GM products, such as the recent problems with the back gate on the pickups. Please send your daytime contact info to farataye@yahoo.com or jfallon@edmunds.com by Wednesday, April 7, 2004. Thanks, Jeannine Fallon PR Director Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sierravistasierravista Member Posts: 6
    Hello to the forum -- hoping for some comments on aftermarket lights for an 03 Denali. Looking to install backup lights for added lighting for a trailer or just better vision. Any suggestions on a particular kit or style?

Thanks
  • flyingdutchmanflyingdutchman Member Posts: 18
    I have a chance to purchase a 2003 white Denali XL dealer demo with 2600 miles. The truck has DVD, second row captain chairs, Navigational System, sand color interior. The price the dealer is willing to let it go for is $42500. I would like to know if this is a good deal because I would like to surprise my husband.
    Did you run the Edmunds TMV calculation? I hear some people getting $44-45k for brand new after all promotions, but I don't know if this includes DVD & Nav. If the difference is just $2-3k difference, I'd get a 2004 brand new since you don't have to worry about accident or flood damage. If you are saving $4k or greater, go for the used one after a thorough checkout.

As for surprising your husband, I'm sure he'll be surprised all right. Just be certain it is a positive surprise. You may try the Tappet brothers, "Click & Clack", since they are more adept at providing a merging of marriage and automotive counseling than this board ;)
    Flyingdutchman, he is offerring you a used one year old car at the 2004 dealer invoice less the hold back for a new one. That's the funniest thing I've heard all day. If you want to spend that kind of money, just buy a new one (you would have to throw some money in though for the DVD and Nav if you really want them--he won't sell to you without keeping the holdback).
  • wvujtwvujt Member Posts: 2
    just purchased a 2004 short box Denali for $500 under invoice 0 miles. Tell them to blow smoke. They should sell it for $1000 under plus incentives for you to take it.
    Thank you to everybody that responded to my request for pricing help.(2003 Denali leftover/demo) I made an offer to the dealer for $39,500. Said he would sleep on it (must be Rip Van Winkle for he has yet to get back to me and truck is still there!!) I now have a chance to buy a 2003 red denali with 6800 miles/captain chairs/dvd system for $37800. Yes/No/Maybe? Thanks again for your help.
    Flyingdutchman, OK you've got the price right (if you really need all the Japanese electronics as you tool down the road), but the color???
    Two teenage girls, want to watch movies/play PS2
    As for the color, when we purchased our first suv
    (85 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 2.8 V6 now with 147,500 miles)fully loaded for $17,500,I wanted red but he wanted black. Now it's my turn for color choice. As for price not bad in your opinion?
    Garnet Red is the only choice for a Denali. The metallic red is absolutely beautiful when the sun catches it just right. Ok, ok, color is a highly subjective choice, and unless someone has a legitimate concern about a color choice affecting resale values; get what you want! I personally also like the new metallic black, but living in the SE it just gets too hot sitting in the mall parking lot (another opinion). Besides, its you turn...
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    Garnet Red was my second choice after I bought my Polo Green Denali. I like the green but the more I saw the Red the better I liked it. My 2004 Canyon Crew cab is the Cherry Red metallic and I love it - It gets a lot of compliments. (and the dealer ordered 2 more in quick hurry - both sold)
    Both KBB & Edmunds resale value deducted hundreds for the Polo green when I went to sell. I got a good resale($32k) and the buyer really liked the green. Its always a personal preference - after all you have to look at it while you drive!!!! so pick a color you really like.
  • utl3utl3 Member Posts: 26
    Does anyone know if the variable suspension systems on the Denali (Autoride) and the Escalade (RSS) are the same? I remember reading that the Cadillac has many adjustment settings, but the GMC has only two. Trying to decide between the two and figure out if the price difference is valid. In driving the two on a short ride, I could not sense a difference in ride and handling, but it was a short ride.

Thanks
    If you cannot notice the difference in ride, why pay the premium? I think most of the differences between the Esc & D are that the Esc has different styling ("bling" factor) and a longer warranty with Cadillac service treatment.
  • y2kgtsy2kgts Member Posts: 48
    Giving some serious thought to trading in our 2002 DXL for a 2004 DXL. Add the XM radio and navigation system, neither of which were available on the 2002. Might even have them swap out the interior door panels, which were embroidered on the 2002. Also heard the 2004 doesn't have a locking center console, so may swap out that locking lid if we can.

My question is this: Besides these upgrades, are there any major reasons to look at the 2004 instead of the 2002? We have had some problems on our 2002 and it is nearing the end of the factory warranty. It would be a dealer trade-in. I understand the 2004 is actually rated at less horsepower (325 vs. 340) and was curious about that as well. Should be interesting!
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    2002 for 2004--depends on how much you value the factory-integrated XM radio and navigation unit vs. aftermarket addons for both. As you noted, GM has tried to squeeze a bit more profit out of the current Denalis by omitting items found on previous models--stuff like rear door panel courtesy lights, unlit glove box compartment, no idiot status lights for headlight switch (indicate whether headlights are in auto mode or when completely turned off), no secondary sun visor, no front passenger door keylock; however, the '04 does gain tire pressure monitoring system and option to order both moonroof and RSE (previously you could get only one or the other).

I didn't know about the 15 hp difference, although if the '02 engine is the same as the '04, I doubt (IMHO) that you'll feel the difference on a near 3-ton SUV. Do you know if the '02 model had the "bolstered" headrests (I don't know what they're exactly called--they have these bolsters on each side of the headrest, apparently to keep you head a bit more stable from side-to-side motion)? I know that the '03+ have the same style headrests found on the non-Denali/Escalade GM full-size SUVs, except for the fact that they can tilt forward; wish GM kept the bolstered ones, but I guess they were also 86'd as part of the profit-squeezing campaign.

Denali vs. Escalade--yes, I'm nitpicking, but...the (current model, if not also '03) Escalade does have the slightly-better engine, backup collision detect, HID headlamps, and (at least I've noticed on the '04 models) side rear quarter-panel defroster grids (why GM decided not to offer this on all their full-size SUVs, I don't know). Now whether all these extra goodies are worth the premium...probably not, IMHO.
    tdoh, take a look at it this way: if you get $30k for your trade and a new one costs $45k, the difference $15k gives you a lot of room to upgrade on the 2002. You can easily add a GM factory extended warranty and an aftermarket XM radio for under $3000 and you would be ahead $12000.
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    I wouldn't change from an 02 to an 04. There is no difference in power. In addition, as you point out, there were items deleted as well as added. It is basically the same truck. Upgrading is expensive. Buy an extended warranty if you are concerned.