Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Starting and Stalling Issues

Comments

• jonyjettajonyjetta Member Posts: 3
    Check the following...Vacume lines, warm up valve, frequency valve, o-ring injectors and the actual injector,fuse box pins and the fuses, loose fuel relay, ground wire from battery, all wires to and from the coil. test the coil for function( if you have a strong steady flashing pulse on a timing gun, its good). Be sure you check the entire Digifant Electrical system from the Halls sender on the distributor to the TCI module on the fire wall of the car. It sits on top of the Brain( That would be your ECCS unit......short for electronic computer command system!
  • jonyjettajonyjetta Member Posts: 3
    BE absolutely sure you prime the main chassis pump by reconnecting the harness to the pump and turning the key to the on position for 1 to 2 min. Remember you have to disconnect the harness from the main pump to relieve pressure before removing it . By priming the pump, you fill it completely before you tell it to pump gas with ignition! Every thing works with 60-80 psi or nothing works and the car won't run. This is also a system that has to have a tight vacume across all lines....no leaks or pinched hoses, do not disconnet the tach for any reason as some bone headed mechanics I've know , did that and disabled several functions that are vital for proper engine performance! These cars will throw 1 or many problems at you all at once! Keep a cool head and go step by step....then if all else fails, burn it , blow it up, pay some one to make it disappear,trade in won't work...dealers don't take VW's in trade...because they know these cars, and they don't want your problem!
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    dealers don't take VW's in trade

Give me a break with the VW hate. Somehow dealers do have used VWs for sale (I wonder where they get them) and generally are asking higher prices for them than a lot of other used cars.
  • tony117tony117 Member Posts: 5
    K-so i have a 99 jetta wolfsburg edition and i love my car...i just turned 220K on the odometer and i'm starting to have some issues and i'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting. all the shops look at me like i'm retarded when i try to tell them whats wrong so maybe someone in here can tell me whats up. first of all, i am having the same issues, almost exactly as diyer (posted jan 6) as far as starting issues and driving thru puddles. it just dies when water splashes up in the motor, and just yesterday it started getting difficult to start. it will crank, but the motor wont catch. once it finally does, i have no issues till it sits for a few hours.

the second issue is an engine stutter on hard acclerations. i don't know if its fuel injectors or sensors or air intake or what. i know for a fact my cat conv needs replaced cause it has fallen apart, but i'm not sure if that would cause those probs.

anyone have any ideas?
  • moore0124moore0124 Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 98 jetta gls for four years now. the entire time i have been dealing with it randomly not starting. i cant figure out if it is the heat or cold. i have been in the nw and texas. Sometimes i will hear a click sometimes not. it usually starts after twenty minutes or so but other times it wont start for days. i have replaced the ignition switch but that did not seem to help. I have tried jumping it and that doesnt work. i have tried hammering on the starter and that didnt work. Please! any suggestions would be wonderful!
  • tbirchetttbirchett Member Posts: 1
    i love my 2007 jetta and a few times recently it will just not start. The battery is good. today i came home from work was going to leave again to go to the dog park and it would not start. i have lights, radio, air conditioning will come on but it will not start. Tomorrow if it will not start it will be towed to the dealership. However,
    i have read similar problems in this forum. Now I have to say that after having
    the battery check I did mention to my mechanic friend that the key was really hot.
    So I am thinking this is a starter problem. Anybody have an idea???
    I havent felt the key when i pull it out but i will take not next time it happens. However I have discovered that when it wont start...if i hold the key all the way in the 'on' position then open and slam my door really hard it will start. The car oriented people in my family say its a bad starter that is faulty in nature. Hope it works for ya
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    You proably have a short some where in the harness
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    The key was really hot ????? How can that be a starter problem?
  • jettatrgjettatrg Member Posts: 1
    Have a 97 Jetta GLS that starts and runs fine in the mornings and nights when its cool, but if left in the sun past mid morning it won't start. Any idea of the probable cause for this?
  • chaser15chaser15 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Jetta TDI that will not pick up fuel when fuel drops
    just below half tank. Have checked the top side for vacuum leaks,
    etc.. Fuel gauge is correct and the problem is consistant.
    Does anyone have any ideas before I go into the tank?
    Thanks
    Jerry
    Sure sounds like a vacuum leak somwhere. A vacuum leak at the thermostatic "T" has been known to cause symptoms such as yours.

If I were you , I would try replacing the fuel-filter. Pay close attention to the 2 Orings on the thermostatic "T" fitting that plugs into the fuelfilter. These 2 Orings are different size (and different color if you use German-made filter like a Mann)

If you still continue to have issue, try using your oil-suker (that you use to change oil) on the fuel-filter to see if you can duplicate problem "manually".
  • chaser15chaser15 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input.
    I have been using after market filters. Might bite the bullet and buy a genuine VW. Could throw 5 gal. of fuel in the trunk just in case it's not the filter.
    I do have vacuum pumps and may have to start working my way back. Trying to elimate everything before going into the tank.
    Again, Thanks
    Jerry
  • nitegoatnitegoat Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 Jetta manual trans that won't start after not being started for 3 months. Up until now I have have never had this problem. I am assuming it's because my car sat so long with out being started. It will turn over but not start. Any tips on how to get her to start?
    Are you touching the thrrottle pedal? If so, that may be a reason it is not starting.

Also, check that your fuelpump is running.
  • nitegoatnitegoat Member Posts: 2
    I got it to start. All I did was put a bottle of gummout in it and 5 gallons of fresh gas. I then let it sit for 2 days and it started right up!
  • bowtieridebowtieride Member Posts: 1
    My daughter has a 2000 Jetta that has a intermittent starting problem. The car will work fine for weeks then will not start, turn the key and nothing. Some times you can leave the car sit and come back later and it starts. I have also had some luck or just timing when I tap/beat the fuse box over the battery, not sure if it has anything to do with the problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert
    I havea1998 Jetta that does the exact same thing. It is the ignition switch. I have had it replaced several times but it is a faulty part and will continue to go bad. The cure that I have found is to hold the key as far as you can turn it, and slam the drivers door. It gives the ignition switch the kick it needs to make the connection. That has worked with out fail for the last year. :) good luck!
  • ksiggmksiggm Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 Jetta that on ocassions wont start immediately. When turning the ignition the power to the car goes out, only clicks once, then dash controls and all go off. I can open the door to the car and slam it shut again, then its good to go no problems. It resets my stero and clock but other than that no more problems for a couple days then it does it again. The only thing that happens intermittenly as well is that the clock will reset till 12:00 while driving ocassionally. There are no check engine lights on. The battery cables are on securely as well. Can anyone give me insight on how to get this fixed or what the problem may be?

Thanks for your help
    The ONLY thing which will cause all of that to happen is losing master power from the battery. Perhaps slamming the door jiggles a loose connection enough for it to work on the next try. I would suggest that you check/clean/tighten both of the large power cables from the battery and the other end of where they connect.

Safety Tip: remove battery cables from battery before working on electrical system. ALWAYS remove the negatave terminal 1st and install negative last!!!
  • wherejoegowherejoego Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 VW Jetta 1.8t, 5-speed manual, it starts fine and runs fine for about 20-30 seconds and then loses all power (not lighting and such but engine power). Even when bringing the engine up to 3k rpm or so it will just lose all power, drop down to about 800 rpm, idle hard and then stall. I get no response from the gas pedal when i press it to bring the rpms back up. This happens when I am idle and also when im driving, does not matter what gear I am in either. I have had previous problems with the car running rough before, bucking bad and stalling when I stop at lights. We changed the O2 sensors, the catalytic converter, and the overlay wiring harness. Each of these things have fixed the problem for a short time but it has came back.Don't know where to go next, I have read that this year has had many electrical problems, as well as problems with the ignition coils. Just hopeing for some more insight on this and possibly a solution.
    This sure sounds as if it is starving for fuel. Have you checked the flow of fuel from the fuel-pump?

Usually this procedure involves disconecting a fuel-line under the hood and putting the end in a container. Then enguage the fuel-pump and time how much fuel comes out to determine flow-rate.
  • kravel22kravel22 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Jetta 1.8T. About a month ago it wouldn't start. The engine was turning but it wouldn't fire up. I had it towed and had the fuel pump replaced. It ran great for a few days but then did it again. I am having it towed yet again tommorow for the fourth time with the same problem. My mechanic called around and found out that there has been some problems with the fuel pumps for jettas. Could it be something else?
  • afdZ24afdZ24 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2003 jetta 2.0 and it has problems starting. whenever it is very cold outside it never starts and whenever its raining outside it never starts while it sits for a while. mechanic said he never seen anything like this from a jetta and assumed it could only be the starter and he replaced it but it stills does it.

also, the engine light is on and stays on. mechanic says the car has a "cold" (whatever that means) and is common for the jetta to have but wont affect the engines performance.

do any of u experience the same problems? and is the engine light directed towards y the car wont start in cold/raining weather? can anyone give any suggestions as to what is really the problem.
  • wildfawnwildfawn Member Posts: 1
    I have the same exact issues with my 97 Jetta! I hasn't been wanting to start in cold/damp weather, it will try to turn over but not 'ignite.' Also, years ago when I purchased it, the engine light would remain on, so the mechanic just permanently turned it off. It hasn't caused any issues.

Regarding the not-starting thing, please let me know if you find any info or solutions! Thanks!
    Let me get this straight... your "mechanic" thought that the problem was the starter, charged you to replace it, and the problem remains unchaged.

Then, the same "mechanic" says your car has a "cold"

GET A NEW MECHANIC!!

As for the non starting issue, why not TROUBLESHOOT to find out specificly why it is not starting then correct that problem?

The CEL is lit for a specific reason and is easy to find out why. Use VagCom or AutoZone can pull the codes for you for free.

You asked for some direction about what the problem may be... YOUR MECHANIC!

HINT: Suspect the IGNITION SYSTEM is not firing the sparkplugs. The ignitor-coil and sparkplug wires are a GREAT place to start anytime you encounter engine problems related to damp weather. In the past, I have described several times in gory detail how to diagnose.... use the "search" function across all the VW forums to get details.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Then, the same "mechanic" says your car has a "cold"

I'm thinking maybe the mechanic had the cold and actually said "code" but the poster heard "cold" :confuse:
  • lealsleals Member Posts: 2
    if you have'nt corrected the problem yet? check the keyway on the crankshaft, if this has sheared the top half of the engine won't turn with the bottom. the car will not start if the cam and crank are not in time, i would not be cranking the engine until you check this. good luck
  • bigo0013bigo0013 Member Posts: 1
    OK i have a 95 jetta 3 GL, I have put new plugs, wires, ignition coil, dist. cap, distributor, engine speed sensor, fuel pump, maf sensor, new belts, catalytic conv., fuel filter and done an oil change on the car! I put it in the shop to take care of the exhaust leaks that were in it and the mechanic said there was a misfire code coming up, so he checked the plugs and now it wont start!! He also said that when the key in put in and turned forward that the speedometer and rpm needsles are jumping. Does anyone have any ideas or advice??
  • wolfsburg2001wolfsburg2001 Member Posts: 2
    i bought a 2001 wolfsburg jetta in '08. its been a alright car for the most part. most recently i will get in my car and drive for about 15 min, stopping and going then all of a sudden the next stop sign i will stall out. i will start it back up and move along and the next stop it will stall out. after i turn it back on and sit my idles bounces reving and almost stalling then eventually stalling out after a couple mins. can anyone help me out for a little bit of advice?. i love the car and want to fix it.
  • wolfsburg2001wolfsburg2001 Member Posts: 2
    hey i just bought a 2001 wolfsburg and i love the car but everything that you have mentioned is happening to me. i got the temp and 02 sensor changed and got new springs and i still have the same problems. just recently it started stalling out at stop signs and the idle will idle high and bog out then stall. if you find out anything let me know and i will do like wise
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    My 2002 1.8T started fine as usual today, and I drove it about 3 miles to run into the bank. When I came out, it wouldn't start -- it cranked ok and no warning lights came on, but then did nothing -- it sounded like it wasn't getting gas. The windows and other electrical things seemed to be working ok.

I had to have it towed to a mechanic. He called later to say that it had no problems starting, and that he drove it around but didn't notice anything unusual. He did find a mouse nest under the engine cover (eew), but said nothing had been chewed. He said there are no problem codes stored, and cleaned the throttle body.

He's going to check the fuel pump tomorrow; is there anything else he should look at?

(By the way, I had a certified VW mechanic to give it a full inspection last week at 70K miles, and he said everything was fine. He didn't mention the nest, so I'm guessing he missed other things.)

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

A no-start condition often logs details in the onboard memory. Hook your car up to computer and run diagnostics.

Most folks use a Vag-Com to perform diagnostic-checks and troubleshoot all manner of other problems.

Just this past weekend, my daughter complained that her ABS and CEL were lit on the dashboard. I used my VagCom to run diagnostics and printed out a report which showed a bad wheel-sensor and some mis-firing issues with the engine. Also one of her heated mirrors failed too.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Thanks! He said there were no error codes stored in memory, but I'm bringing it back next week to give it a closer look. I needed to take the car so I could get to work and hey... it's running now!

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• tvannattertvannatter Member Posts: 1
    I've got an older 1989 Jetta. I've had some starting problems so I've replaced the starter and the wires connecting the starter. I've also replaced the ground to the engine.

What happens is that it will normally start fine unless it has been driven for a long period (1/2 hour or more). When it is hot it will not start at all, not even turn over. I cannot hear the solenoid click or any sound whatsoever.

I know there is a fuesable link somewhere but I don't feel this would be the problem as it will start fine as long as it is cold.

Please give me some kind of idea where to go next.
  • andrea45andrea45 Member Posts: 15
    I bought an 03 Jetta 6 mo ago & the check engine light has been on & off ever since. I just had a diagnostic done & it came up w/2 possible problems; it's either the control fan module or the temp sensor. We replaced the temp sensor & it tests fine. Just had the control fan module replaced & it was fine the first day, but the check engine light just came back on! UGH!! I supposed I should have taken my car to a VW mechanic, maybe they would be more familiar w/this problem..it seems to be a quite common problem..at tleast w/the 03 model's. Can anyone tell me what the problem could possibly be?? I have to pass DEQ & only have 2 wks before my tags expire. (you cant run your car through DEQ & pass if the check engine light is on) Which is totally stupid because it passed the emissions part of the test. Help!!!
    If you expect any help, we need the ERRORCODES which are being flagged as illuminating the CEL.

BTW: You headed down the most common road that most rookies do.... the ERRORCODES tell you which sensors were giving unexpected signals... but you SHOULD NEVER assume that the sensors are the problem. (They are only the messengers)

If somone tells you bad news, should you ignore the bad news and instead replace that person with somone else?

And yes, the FEDERAL law says that the CEL must not be lit. The CEL only lites up when an EMMISSIONS issue is detected. (Again - mandated by FEDERAL law)

PS: The word "emmission" does not only refer to what comes out the tailpipe. There are any number of 'emmissions' which could emminate from an automobile. (like Gasoline fumes or Oil fumes)
  • jodyjo4jodyjo4 Member Posts: 1
    Believe it or not I just got my 94 jetta back from the shop with almost the exact problem. I have spent 8 months fighting with this car, it would run fine and then suddenly it would lose power and the speedometer needles would bounce around like crazy. After 5 mechanics (2 of which finally told me to get a new car after 3 weeks of trying to diagnose the problem) I replaced the catalytic converter on the recommendation of someone else only to have the problem happen again. I got it to a Euro shop and as it turns out the panel cluster (speedo, tach, etc) was shorting out and causing the car to at times not start and at other times lose all power. I know this sounds crazy, but they diagnosed it by disconnecting the panel and the car ran fine. We replaced the cluster panel with a used one and the car has now gone over 200 miles without a problem. I don't know if you're having the same issue but it's worth a try.
    Hi Bruce,
    the error code im getting is: 2181. I got this code both from DEQ & a mechanic who did a diagnostic on my car. You mentioned that If the CEL lights up at a DEQ station, then it must have detected an emmissions issue..but then why does their report state that it "passed" the emmissions portion of the test? According to the diag tests, the problem appears to be related to temperature, but so far, the mechanic is still at a loss so he's taking off the fan control module & im paying yet another mech to diagnose my veh. ugh! this isn't fun anymore! :lemon:
    "2181" is not a valid VW code... VW codes start with the letter "P"
    and range from "P1102" --> "P1854"

Perhaps you mistyped the code?
    Correct...my code is: P 2181 :sick:
    I searched for your code P2181 and found this link which may help you.
    Thank you! I'll let my mechanic know when I take it to a new mech next week..thx!
  • eepowereepower Member Posts: 3
    My 95 Jetta with a VR6 will not start. The engine turns over. Fuel is getting to the injectors. The spark is good at the plugs. It seems to want to start but won't.
    Any thought?

Jon
  • eepowereepower Member Posts: 3
    Is it normal for the voltage on all on the fuel injectors to be at 12 volts when the key is in the accessory position before starting the car?
    I beleive the answer is YES... +12 on all injectors is to prepare them for action. The engine computer pulls the other leg of the circuit to ground when it wants to squirt fuel.

This is how most engine-computers work when they need to control an external load. The output signals are just pulled to ground to turn things "on".
  • vdubjettavdubjetta Member Posts: 1
    i hav an 01 jetta with a 1.8t and if u rev it up slowly it is fine but if you stand on it it runs up to about 3grand and starts stuttering and what not then it just jumps to 6 im getting a random misfire code but after changing the plugs it ran fine for about a week then i got the code again and its doing the same crap ne i deas??????
  • karrs682karrs682 Member Posts: 6
    I am new to this forum so please bear with me. My sons girlfriend bought the above vehicle from a corner lot dealership.
    i know first mistake however she is only 19 and on her own so she is doing the best she can. Had overheating problem replaced theromstat afterwards bubbling from resouvior. torn down head checked out found two cracks in turbo replaced, water pump replaced, all belts replaced. all good for test run and idling. They went to leave got about 1 block heated up again.
    found raditor clogged. My son remember he put white grease on engine to keep no rust from forming whiles waiting on parts to come in. then cleaned out raditor. when to restart car started then stalled out. will not start now. it does crank. there is also a light on dash now that is a traingle with a car inside with a key symbol under it. We are having a difficult time finding someone with volkswagen knowledge. before they started this adventure they called vw repair shop they were told 3 thousand to replace the water pump needless to say this young lady does not have that kinda of money and neither do i to lend it to her. Now we are lost as to why this will not start. any help would greatly be appreicated. I found this site while looking up information for them. I am hoping someone out there can relieve the frustration they are feeling now...
    Sounds like the immobolizer is keeping engine from running.

There is a chip in the key which is "read" by the ring around ignition-switch. If this chip is not matched to the dashbaord/ECU, the engine will start but immedeatly stall out. The light on dash that is a traingle with a car inside with a key symbol under it is also an indicator of immobolizer.

Is this the ORIGINAL key that is intended for this vehicle?

Here is some info about immobolizer system.
  • karrs682karrs682 Member Posts: 6
    yes it is the orginal key. Now it has been raining here for the past week could that also be a factor by what i am reading in the other people commments.

thanks for information will keep you updated

Again thanks