Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• gdeckgdeck Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1997 2wd dodge with a 238-2 tranny, it does not shift down properly seems like its pulling too hard when u step on the brake to stop, almost feels like its stalling. also seems like to me its shifting up too fast. i hope its just a sensor problem please help if u know what it is.
  • gdeckgdeck Member Posts: 2
    it shifts really well when i do it manually so i dont think its a bad tranny
  • jim1945jim1945 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info on shifting problems, I will check the ground connections
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Can you check that trans model number again? For 1997 2wd Rams, the automatic transmissions would be:
    - 42RE with the 3.9L V6
    - 46RE with the 5.2L and 5.9L V8
    - 47RE with the 8.0L V10 and 5.9L Cummins diesel

(238 is the cubic inch displacement of the 3.9L V6.)

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • soonerbsoonerb Member Posts: 9
    Bulldog,

CCD is what Chrysler calls thier buss messaging system between the computers. Yours apparently is shorted at on of the modules. Most common is the airbag module on the floor dead center in the cab, but any module that shares information or any wire could be shorted and causing the issue. People sometimes mistakenly ground or power things off the buss wires also.
    To diagnose just look for anything that has been added (electrically) on the truck and think about where it is hooked in.

The buss wires your looking for are White with a black tracer and violet with a brown tracer. If you look by your knees when you are sitting at the steering wheel there is a black connector for diagnostics under the dash .

It is wider on one side than the other. With the wide side of the connector up, it is the openings that are third from the right in both rows that house the buss wires. Just probe one of those at a time with a Dvom and make sure you have about 2.5 volts on each. If you don't start unplugging modules that have those color wires til you do!
    Or you could take it to a Dodge Dealership trained to do this sort of thing.
    fixitfirstime
  • dodgeram1500v8dodgeram1500v8 Member Posts: 1
    hi i have a 1994 dodge ram 1500 auto. and recently its developed a new problem. it shifts through the 1st. 2nd. and 3rd. gears fine but it wont go into 4th. so i realy cant go faster than 35-40 and even then its at 1700-2000 rpm.. any one have an idea???could it be computer???? if so should i unhook the battery?????????????
  • bobk9bobk9 Member Posts: 2
    I Have a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 5.9L V8. When I accelerate either from a stop or at any speed I hear a rattling sound in the automatic transmission. It sounds like a nut or bolt just bouncing around in there, I have a whining noise in the tranny when I back-up as well. If cruising up-hill, my vehicle seems to loose power even though Im doing 65 mph. I also noticed that when I turn off the OD driving up-hill, it doesn't seem to help one bit.

Can someone tell me what is wrong with the AT? Is the Tourqe Converter bad or the Lock-up clutch? and what's that rattling noise?

NOTE: The rattling sound is only audible when my scanner shows 20% or greater engine load.

Thanks,
    Bob
  • jay1164jay1164 Member Posts: 3
    What a difference 6yrs makes. True to my luck i get the year with the expensive parts. :cry:
  • jlow2jlow2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 RAM W250 4x4 5.9DIESEL w/std.duty 4spd auto. My problem is NO O.D. I have owned this truck since new.. some problems but has been a good truck. I came upon this post and have read a good many of the posts. I feel it may be Electricaly related. Most of the trucks are newer than mine, is there any specific info that may be of help to me? How do I reset the computer. will that matter on this year truck?
    over 220k and runs strong. Thank you for any help or direction
    Jeff
  • ddownenddownen Member Posts: 1
    I have 2002 Ram 2500 2 wheel drive and I have been having some problems lately with the shift points on my transmission. It doesn't do it all the time but if it was a gas engine car I would say I had a vacuu leak, when I first start out most of the time, depending on the tempeture outside it won't shift into 2nd until I reach 2500 rpms, and the the rest of the shift points all seem to be harder than they had been. An sometimes it won't down shift into 1st at all so you're starting out in second, other time everything work as it originally did, any ideas, I was wondering if the vacuum pump was going out or was in need of repair.
    Thank
  • dodgeram54dodgeram54 Member Posts: 4
    i take it in and get it diagnosed, my truck wouldn't go into over drive and i took it in about $85 and they said that the tranny temp censor was bad, it made the truck think it was at -7 degrees all time and they won't shift into overdrive until the temp is up tranny temp censor runs about $100 i believe.
  • csiglercsigler Member Posts: 1
    While backing out of my driveway, my 2001 dodge ram w auto trans 2wd stopped moving. The engine revs, but does not move. It did not make any sound, vibration or indication thee was a problem at all. The truck works in drive fine. Is there anything I can try to resolve this on my own before taking it to a shop?
  • me112233me112233 Member Posts: 4
    Did you ever find out the cause of your problem? My 1998 Ram 1500 is doing the exact same thing -- some power when started cold, then nothing after a very short time of the engine running. If I let it sit and idle for a few minutes before putting it into gear, it has nothing at all to offer. (The transmission is also making a whining noise sort of like when the power steering is a tad low, but still functioning properly).

Over the past six months (leading up to the current problem), I would sometimes have it where it would not shift out of low gear; after several miles of that, it would suddenly straighten up and operate correctly. This particular symptom would only occur when the fuel level was near "E."
  • lewbaca1lewbaca1 Member Posts: 1
    I need to know where the anti drain valve on a 1999 dodge ram 1500 automatic transmission is located thank you
  • zara3zara3 Member Posts: 12
    We have a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel with Big Tranny problems. We plan to have our Transmission rebuilt since 3rd gear is gone and made plans to ship it off to a rebuilder. We had to drop the unite as a whole because the problem is that the Transfer case will Not separate from the transmission.. plus a couple of the bolts that hold it on came completely out.. the other 3 stayed in! Somethings not right there... Has anyone had this problem??? No amount of pulling or hammering seems to budge the case so we can get them apart.
    Can anyone give a guess as to what is happening here and What we can do at this point? Isn't it just suppose to come off with a few taps of a hammer once the nuts are off the bolts??? This is crazy.. :cry:
    Thanks for any advice
  • bobwinnerbobwinner Member Posts: 47
    The anti drain back or check balls are located in the two transmission cooling lines that run out front to your transmission cooler. They are usually inside the metal line, and witnin 6 or 8 inches of the cooler. You can drill them out or cut off a little of the line. bobwinner
  • sweet_guy60465sweet_guy60465 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 dodge ram 1500 4x4 daytona, the trans dont shift right and now the 4x4 light dont come on when its in 4 wheel drive. I changed the oil sensor in the trans and still doesnt shift right, feels like it bogs out the more i step on the gas..any ideas? :mad:
  • zara3zara3 Member Posts: 12
    Never mind.. Finally came apart by using a come-a-long, loads of liquid wrench, wedges and hammers.. it was corrosion and extra lock-tight from the factory that was sealing it together.. unbelievable!! Thanks anyway~~ :shades:
  • soonermcsoonermc Member Posts: 1
    First of all I have been having problems with my ABS lights staying on. They have been on since I replaced my hubs. Recently the check engine light would come on and when I would push on the accelerator... nothing... I would do it a few times and a couple minutes later it would accelerate. Then this prolem would subside for a few days then come back again. About two days ago though my transmission will only shift once at about 22 mph and it stuggles to shift then. I just replaced the speed sensor on the transmission. That didn't seem to help, I drove it around for about 5 or 10 mins, should I have driven it more? ABS light is still on but there's no check engine light anymore. I am going to replace the ABS Speed Sensor in the morning. Do you think this will fix my problem? If it does not do you have any other suggestions. When the check engine light was on the code was P2121 and it came up twice, but like I said the check engine light isn't on anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :sick: :mad:
  • wileyw2wileyw2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a one ton diesel auto tranmisson. i have to get my RPM up to 3500 before it will shift into 3rd. I replaced the transmisson speed sensor but this didnt help. After it finally shifts into 3rd and over drive it does just fine. does anyone have any advise.
  • dieselkcdieselkc Member Posts: 14
    Sounds like low line pressure. My 04 did the same thing as a result of metal being injested by the pump from a bad brass bushing in the torque converter. $1800 later it works great LOL. Pull the pan and check for exsess metal in
    pan. It won't show on the dipstick cuz it is to heavy of a particulate to be suspended in the oil itself. Good luck but sounds to me like your converter is on it's way to the scrapper. Maybe not? I'm not an expert, just an owner with similar problems. Cheers, Casey.
  • hairball42hairball42 Member Posts: 1
    My truck has come up with a new problem when starting out from a stop. It is slow to take off and i have to give it more throttle then usual to get it going. I have been putting it into 2nd gear (automatic) and it will take off fine then shift it back to drive. Once it gets past taking off it acts fine and shifts good. Fluid level is good and it doesn't look burnt and smells normal. Truck has 130,000 on it and is in good condition. Thanks for your input.
  • rickg2rickg2 Member Posts: 1
    The automatic transmission in my 2001 Ram started shifting from 1st to 2nd late. It just started a couple of days ago with no other indication of trouble. If I accelerate very slowly, it shifts okay. If I accelerate normally, it shifts at 3000 – 3500 RPM. After shifting to second, it drives normally until I stop. I can force it to shift by taking my foot off of the accelerator for a second and waiting for it to shift, but then it may downshift seconds later.
  • 99_dodge_150099_dodge_1500 Member Posts: 1
    1999 Dodge 1500 5.2l 4x4 Transmission works fine when it is cold. Drives fine while warm, but once I stop anywhere, get back in, it will not engage ANY Drive Gears. 1, 2, or 3 WILL NOT Engage. REVERSE works perfect. I have to wait till it is fully cooled down before it will engage drive again. Just changed the Filter and Fluids, was very dirty, planning on driving for a week, then doing a Full Flush and Filter/Fluid change again. I really thought the dirty Filter would fix it enough to at least drive it for a week or so and repeat. Any help is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!! I'm getting frustrated and not sure what could be the issue?
  • scba911scba911 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 2500 ram with a 5.9l cummins, had the tranny replaced 3 years ago, recently the trans temp light comes on for a second or two then goes out, also the od off illuminates which kicks down to 3rd . The fluid level is good and the fluid is pink and doesn`t smell burnt at all. The lights will come on when idling in the driveway, I`m thinking that the temp sensor is faulty, any tips how to check this or how to change it out. I dont have a trans temp gauge but thought I could tape my wireless barbeque temperature gauge to the tranny just to confirm that high temp is not a factor. Thanks for any ideas.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Another thought beyond the sensor...

Since this happens mostly when you're stopped/idling, you may want to check your fan. The trans cooler by the radiator may not be getting sufficient airflow. Keep an eye on your engine temp gauge when the lights come on.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • rafagasrafagas Member Posts: 1
    Hi Guys, New Here.
    When driving my truck, from second on, the tranny wont shift propperly unless I let the Gas Go a Bit. Once in O/D I have no problems. The tranny doesnt slip at all.
    82K, oil and filter changes recently. Check valve at the cooler also checked and it doesnt seem to be cloged.

Thanks in advance,

Rafael
  • bill4470bill4470 Member Posts: 1
    od turns off. and trans temp light comes on.Have changed filter and fluid plus torque converter.Any suggestions please
    O D turn off and O D OFF light both indicate overheat of fluid. Check your tranny cooler to. If it is cool, your lines are plugged. Probably the check valve need removed. bobwinner
    I get mine at this place
    MID AMERICA PARTS AND CORE SPRINGFIELD MO (417) 866-1466
    They take credit cards and ship, about $50 bobwinner
  • briarwalkerbriarwalker Member Posts: 2
    help please my 1997 ram 1500 4by4 keeps shifting out of overdrive back into third gear going downhill if i keep my foot on the gas going downhill it will stay in od but when i leave off gas it shifts back to third gear all other shifting patterns are fine there are 108,000 on 5.2 v-8 oil has been changed three times along with the filters can any one help unemployed low in funds thanks
  • ziondaddyziondaddy Member Posts: 5
    here are the facts:
    i bought this truck from someone who hadnt driven it for 2 weeks. it has 165K miles and i dont know about any possible rebuilds or factory reman trannys for this truck. it shifted perfect when i got it. ive had it for 2 weeks. it started hanging up in 1st gear after the 3rd time i drove it. it gets stuck in 1st for 30 seconds to 2 minutes each time and then shifts good. if i stop but leave it running, it will still shift fine. if i turn it off, it still tries to hang up for a bit when i start it back up and go, even when warmed up. i havent pinpointed any exact thing i did to get it to start shifting. sometimes i just drive it for a few seconds at 4 or 5k rpm and then move the shifter to 2nd and then back to drive and it starts shifting right.

the fluid is dark, and dirty so i know its old and burnt. but i havent done anything yet, i wanted to see who had something here to say.

thanks for any input.
  • stanoskistanoski Member Posts: 76
    Id take it to a shop and spend $75 getting the trans fluid changed and trans adjusted, that just may do it. I had an old Ford that shifted like he!! and after the service it was like brand new. Worth a shot at least, you might get lucky.

Ski in TX
  • 340cudaman340cudaman Member Posts: 3
    When Temp cool outside and touch the brake (especially going down hill) the trany will stick in high gear and stay there until the truck in turn off and back on. Have had this problem since about 20k miles. Dealer put in a New TCM that fixed it for about 30k more miles. It started doing that again and Another dealer put in a solenoid pack that fixed it for about 10k miles. current error codes P0700( TC system) P0871 (TF presure sensor switch C curcuit), P0876 (TF presure sensor switch B curcuit), P0760 (Shift soleniod C), P0755 (Shift soleniod B), P0770 (Shift soleniod E), P0750 (Shift soleniod A), P0888 (TCM Power Relay Sense Circuit) Any suggestions?
  • artdallasartdallas Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2004 ram1500 4.7 have about 92,000 miles on it only problem with trany is when cold try to move it goes no where but wait about 15 sec. will go fine no hard shift been have problem for about 1 year but getting worse have change filters every 30,000 mile with oem any leads to my problem thanks a lot
    okay, i took it to my friend mechanic at a dealership and he put the scanner on it after i explained the above to him. he reported code P-0720... faulty transmission output (speed?) sensor. so tomorow i'll replace it and post results :) anyone got any input about replacing it? is it a big deal?
  • jsader79jsader79 Member Posts: 1
    :mad: :confuse: I recently got my tranny rebuilt in my 2001 dodge 3500. Since it was rebuilt it kicks in and out of OD at about 75 mph and if I have a trailer on it about 60. I, nor any mechanic can figure out what goin on with the truck. The tranny shop built the tranny 3 times and even put a different tranny in it trying to get it to stop. I have replace the 400 freakin dollar TPS and it didnt help. Flushed the tranny lines and replaced the speed sensor. I am at a loss and the 10 mechanics that have looked at it are at a loss also. Has anyone had this happen to their truck and did you get it fixed?????
  • red777red777 Member Posts: 22
    Haven't had that exact problem, had more of an issue around 50 mph. But anyway, i have read some posts about a poor ground being the problem, have also heard that the dealer has a diagram and a setup to better ground everything to stop the issue you are describing.

Having said that i don't remember where i read it, but i do remember that the post claimed the dealership wouldn't release the diagram for the fix but would do the work for about $400 if i remember correctly.

Hope this helps get your truck fixed.
    hah!! tranny shifting perfect now. changing the output sensor on the driver side of the tail worked. scanner code was P-0720. NOTE: when i pulled the wire, some tranny fluid residue was present inside the plug housing and on the prongs!! hmmm... could the inner plastic nipple have melted or something, allowing tranny fluid to seep through? it seemed pretty disfigured when i removed the sensor. also, someone on here said to expect a little tranny fluid to come out... LOL, thats a laugh. over a quart gushed out when i unscrewed the sensor, hahah. okay my first time doing it, so now i know :) later...
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Didn't use the word "little" ;)
    lol, okay then what word was it? like some, or a bit? somehow i got the impression it was not gonna be a gusher, hahahaha... anyway, u shoulda seen it, all running down my arm and on my driveway. and i was pluggin it up with a rag, yelling for my daughter, "heeeyyyyy ... someone bring me a bowl, or something!!!" ya, i'm glad nobody videoed it... or it woulda been on youtube, lol... take care bro.
  • kpnmckpnmc Member Posts: 2
    Diagnostic trouble code reads 1762. My Haynes Repair Manual book doesn't say what to do with this diagnostic trouble code. The scaner say it something to do with the transmission. Can anyone help me?
  • dieselkcdieselkc Member Posts: 14
    Don't quote me on this but if my memory serves me correct that code is for low line pressure. Could be the solenoid on the bottom of the valve body (the one that hangs down into the pan or it's related sensor? Get it looked at. Dartboard diagnostics get expensive and may not fix your problem. My truck threw that code and it turned out to be the 2nd gear shift solenoid. Unfortunately that solenoid that failed on mine is combined with the 1st gear shift solenoid and shares a common wire harness. $400 ouch! Like I said that code can mean several different posible faulty parts so get it looked at and isolate your exact bad part or parts.

Cheers, Casey
  • thewandererthewanderer Member Posts: 1
    Sometimes when I put it in reverse there is a loud growling noise, I can sometimes put it then into neutral and back into reverse and it will stop. Why is this? How can I correct it?
  • big_dodgebig_dodge Member Posts: 1
    Hey new to the forums.. Really just trying to figure this out, found this forum but anyway, i can shift into any gear perfectly as in d p r n 1 2. i put it in drive and it moves same with all the other gears. while driving it occasionally has trouble shifting out of fist. when it has trouble it just goes to high rpm and then shifts. same with second gear but is mire frequent. i usually cant get out of second gear but sometimes do. while driving it has automatically shifted into nuetral but when i stop i have to shift from d to n and back to d for it to engage again. please help i dont have money to replace tranny
  • thordudethordude Member Posts: 2
    hey Guys, I've got a real problem with my truck. Here goes..I have a '03 3500 4x4 that I purchased for my hotshot company. I bought the truck used in '07 with 25,000 miles. Thinking that this unit was almost new. At 75,000 miles the original 5 spd manual tranny gave up on me. Chewing both upper shaft and lower shaft front gear teeth. Really ugly inside. Okay, had Dodge replace with new, 13,000 miles later...same thing. I had that tranny rebuilt, Dodge would not warranty the 2nd. Two months later, I lost 5th in Louisiana and then drove it home. Okay, I heard the NV5600 6spd is good for a 2 ton truck. So, $5,500.00 later the truck was converted to the 6spd. That lasted, 1 month and now has the 6th tranny in the truck. At this time, I am now starting to have problems with the truck again. I quit my business due to repair cost. What the heck is going on !?! I can not find anybody who can tell me why this has happened to my truck...i.e. me. Can you help? Thanks
  • thordudethordude Member Posts: 2
    I bet one of your questions is what are you pulling? My trailer is 40ft x 102" dove tail, goose neck hitch. The trailer weighs around 8100 lbs. The load weights varied with the average around 10,000lbs. Now, I bet you're going to say that the truck is at its limit for weight...explain to me, why are there trucks here that pull a 32' cattle trailer, 7 days a week, fully loaded running up and down the road as fast as they can pull and not having problems?
  • tbosharttboshart Member Posts: 1
    i have a2000 Ram 1500 , going down the road 55-60 the tranny slips out and acts like its in low gear any thoughts whats going on
  • flyinshuflyinshu Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 ram 1500 with the m/d hemi...not sure of the tranny model, but it is an automatic. the problem I am having is every once in a while, I will lose overdrive, when I stop and try to go...the tranny slips. If I shift from reverse and back to drive...no fix. the only way to fix it is to shut off the engine and restart. then everything works fine again. I even tried shifting through the tow/haul and overdrive off selection, but the only fix is a restart. could not get any codes from my code reader...ideas?
  • is72is72 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my 01 ram 1500- (5.9) 4x4 /125000 , about 4weeks ago,it drove fine at fisrt, but then it started to slip,from 1 to 2. i did check the fluid and i was low, so i filled it with atf+4,did not fix the problem,so i dropped the pan and change the filter and fluid atf+4,that did not fix the problem and on top of that i got a ( trans temp ) light on the dash,i trew some lucas in it, and now every time i shitf in gear drive or reverse it kill the motor,to the point that its not driveble, did I mess my trans up???? any comments